PDA

View Full Version : Inside source close to Kyle Wiltjer to enter NBA draft - TROUBLE WITH BROWSER

tlark420
04-13-2015, 11:44 AM
Robert Perry @robertperryhere · 15m 15 minutes ago
Inside source close to Kyle Wiltjer says that he is forgoing his senior season at Gonzaga for the NBA Draft.

Robert Perry @robertperryhere · 12m 12 minutes ago
Source said that all of Wiltjer's stuff is out of his living space and that his car has not been seen for several days on campus.

Source also said that Wiltjer is going to intensive eight week camp to improve his draft stock before the NBA Draft on June 25th.

Robert Perry @robertperryhere · 8m 8 minutes ago
Wiltjer is currently listed as a first year graduate pursuing a masters in business administration.

Robert Perry ‏@robertperryhere 46s47 seconds ago
@Matteo_Miguel The source told me it was an out-of-the-blue decision that is being kept under wraps for the moment.

TheGonzagaFactor
04-13-2015, 11:49 AM
Inside source close to Kyle Wiltjer says that he is forgoing his senior season at Gonzaga for the NBA Draft.

Source said that all of Wiltjer's stuff is out of his living space and that his car has not been seen for several days on campus.

Source also said that Wiltjer is going to intensive eight week camp to improve his draft stock before the NBA Draft on June 25th.

Wiltjer is currently listed as a first year graduate pursuing a masters in business administration.

@Matteo_Miguel The source told me it was an out-of-the-blue decision that is being kept under wraps for the moment.

Not saying this guy is lying, I just don't believe this is true.

hooter73
04-13-2015, 11:50 AM
Robert Perry has a good rep in the GU circles. Interesting, unexpected for what we had been hearing, and not wholly surprising for what most thought would happen when he first came here.

Zags11
04-13-2015, 11:52 AM
Hmmm, so kyle changed his mind? Damn kids, lol.

MTZag03
04-13-2015, 12:03 PM
If it's true, best of luck to you Kyle and thanks.

zagsfanforlife
04-13-2015, 12:03 PM
If true, makes us a top 20 team, not a top 5, 10 team. Bummer and must have been out of the blue. Stated after the game and tweeted about Rem that he was happy he would play with him again.

Dont understand the thought process behind it when he will be a second round pick at best. There is 0 chance he is a first rounder.

Zag_Dad
04-13-2015, 12:04 PM

OUCH!!! I was just getting used to the idea that we might not have Shem next year .... but losing both Shem and Wiltjer??!! That would be rough.

TheGonzagaFactor
04-13-2015, 12:04 PM
If this is true and Karno goes as well (both are up in the air) our program is in trouble. Must be something bad going on behind the scenes if TWO players leave early in the same year to play in Europe...

zagsfanforlife
04-13-2015, 12:09 PM
If this is true and Karno goes as well (both are up in the air) our program is in trouble. Must be something bad going on behind the scenes if TWO players leave early in the same year to play in Europe...

IDK about that speculation, but never have heard of two guys in one year and one not being a foreigner going pro early to get a European contract. Neither guys are first rounders this year, and frankly i wouldnt be stunned to see both go late in the second round. As a guy who has worked with nba players in the past, I am bewildered by both situations, especially Wiltjers. No matter how you spin it, he just isnt a first rounder in the NBA draft.

CDC84
04-13-2015, 12:11 PM
If true, it would have been nice if had completed the semester. Gonzaga's APR rating could get dinged.

Zag 77
04-13-2015, 12:12 PM
Before I get my panties in a wad, I would like to know if he is a 16 year old geek with zits sitting at a computer pulling stuff out of thin air. I would sooner trust the bartender at Jack & Dan's.

Ekrub
04-13-2015, 12:13 PM
Both are getting older and let's face it; You only have until your early 30s to make money playing ball. One year of college is a major cut in your money making potential,unless you are able to majorly improve your worth to the NBA. Neither Karno or wiltjer are likely to do that next year

Zag_Dad
04-13-2015, 12:16 PM

I highly doubt their decisions are any reflection on problems with the program. If you look objectively at both their situations, you might understand why they would leave.

Karnowski - will graduate this summer and can cash in with a big contract to play in Europe which, by the way, is where he is from.

Wiltjer - has already graduated and might feel he has done everything he can improve his NBA stock. He took a year off, improved his body, learned to play some defense and proved he is one of the best college shooters in the country. Perhaps he feels that he can't do anything else to improve and impress NBA scouts with one more year in college. If that is the case, he takes a shot at getting picked up by an NBA team and has a back-up plan to play in Europe where he will get paid quite well. If this is the analysis... why delay the inevitable another year.

Don't get me wrong, I can think of a thousand reasons why they should both return. I'm just not convinced that their potential departures is an indication of problems at GU.

23dpg
04-13-2015, 12:17 PM
If true, it would have been nice if had completed the semester. Gonzaga's APR rating could get dinged.

This and only this.

raise the zag
04-13-2015, 12:24 PM
Kyle, along with his ambitious Father, were planning to 'seek serious counsel' this off-season. Not guaranteed he goes, as he was planning to test the NBA waters all along. All it takes is ONE GM or Coach to like you.

I heard he was planning/looking into early entry interest, his Dad was very direct about this as well.

Not surprising in the least, but I would say there is still a chance he returns for his senior season. He must have received better feedback than anyone was probably anticipating.

Best of luck to Kyle (and Kyle's dad).

zag buddy
04-13-2015, 12:24 PM
The only way I see them leaving is if a pro team has giving them some sort of guarantee

Kong-Kool-Aid
04-13-2015, 12:37 PM
Can't he test the waters so long as he doesn't sign on with an agent? He can go to the camp and still return to GU if it's not looking like he will be picked right?

Bogozags
04-13-2015, 12:41 PM
If in deed both players depart, then it will be tough next year as we will be really thin in the front court...only two bigs and one untested. It will be hard to replace FIVE starters, don't recall GU having to do that before...

Again, If they both depart, then recruits (PF & C's) will definitely see play-time possibilities...this is the only upside I see BUT would prefer both return for their "senior" season...

CDC84
04-13-2015, 12:42 PM
Can't he test the waters so long as he doesn't sign on with an agent? He can go to the camp and still return to GU if it's not looking like he will be picked right?

The deadline for underclassmen to enter the NBA Draft is April 26, so players don't have a ton of time between the end of their season and the deadline to make a decision. The window is even smaller for players whose teams advance deep in the postseason. Testing the waters isn't what it used to be. It has to be done on weekends, and it involves individual and small group workouts.

The NBA combine (camp) begins May 12. Everyone at that camp has thrown their hat in and can't return to school.

Mr Vulture
04-13-2015, 12:43 PM
Not to mention we'd be short five scholarship players too...

hooter73
04-13-2015, 12:56 PM
I dont think anyone has any doubts that he will test the waters with workouts and whatnot, but not hire an agent to leave the door open. Until those take place though I cant imagine an NBA guy thinking KW is ready and telling him as much.

If KW, Karno and Nunez all leave we will officially be back to being Guard U. Hope Edwards is ready to play 38 MPG lol.

cjm720
04-13-2015, 01:04 PM
I'd like to think he's just going home to visit and will be in a new house/apartment next year.

CDC84
04-13-2015, 01:11 PM
Slipper Still Fits @slipperstillfit
· 28m 28 minutes ago
Despite some reports, we are hearing that Kyle Wiltjer is still in the process of making any decision on his future.

gonzagafan62
04-13-2015, 01:12 PM
Screw it here is my new starting lineup:

Perkins
Emac
Draino
Backamus
Sabonis

Don't forget we have Connor Griffin too. We can make this lob city all day!

I know we are going to be a small team, but with backdoor cuts, and immaculate celebrations on the court, I don't think we are beatable.... Sabonis brings the fire, perkins brings the flash, backamus can bring the air guitar. Forget Earth, Wind and Fire.....

We have:

Flash, Fire, Guitar.....

seacatfan
04-13-2015, 01:14 PM
Welcome to the big time. Goes with the territory. Most top programs lose early entrants to the draft every year, regardless of whether the player is NBA ready or not.

HenneZag
04-13-2015, 01:31 PM
Welcome to the big time. Goes with the territory. Most top programs lose early entrants to the draft every year, regardless of whether the player is NBA ready or not.

We are a top program that's true. With that said we don't recruit like the Dukes, Kentucky's, Louisvilles etc. We still rely on player development and guys staying with the program, so if this is true and Karno also decides to leave we are in a bit of trouble. Duke and Kentucky have the luxury of bringing in a new crop like an assembly line with lil hiccups. This will be a big hit for sure so hopefully 1/2 stay. If Karno stays than Sabonis starts at the 4, the problem becomes depth. W/Nunez leaving as well it hits a bit of a nerve.

We will see how the staff address it if this is true. But like you said Seacat, this comes with the territory so hopefully we have a few tricks up our sleeves.

zag67
04-13-2015, 01:39 PM
I think that waiting for the final outcome for both KW and PK is the best. I wish both of them the best and if they decide to leave, wish them the best they have given us a great season and for PK has given us multiple more. Things will work out, but maybe not as great as some hope. Look forward to next year. We need decisions like this complete before players outside can make good decisions.

Vanzagger
04-13-2015, 01:59 PM
either way Kyle...good luck. You are one of the best I've seen

Reborn
04-13-2015, 02:03 PM
There really were not many one and done players out there in Div 1. And most of them were at Kentucky and Duke. A few other schools may have had one, like UCLA, Arizona, Maybe Kansas. Therre were 3 senior on Wisconsin''s team that came back for their senior year so they could win the NCAA tournament. I think Michigan St had two seniors who came back. So all this talk about "welcome to the big time" is a bunch of crap in my opinion. I also did not see a bunch of one and done's on Notre Dame's team, nor on Iowa's, and look at the juniors coming back on Iowa State's team next year so they can go deep. So there are a few teams out there who can sweet up a handful of one and done'rs and win the National Championship...and my bet is that Coach K sold his soul to it because I have not ever known him to start and play so many one and doner's. I'll keep my love for basketball with teams like Gonzaga, Wichita St., Butler, Michigan St., Wisconsin, and on and on and on......college basketball is not the NBA, and although we would all like to win the NcAA Tournament I am not one who is in favor of selling my soul to win one. I think the NCAA should not be about the big money it is becoming. If it continues we will lose the heart and soul of college basketball. It is not supposed to be like the NBA and I believe that schools should begin to ban together to keep college basketball the way it was created to be. I do not even like the one and done idea. I think it has ruined college basketball to some extent because we have teams like Kentucky and now Duke. I know there is a tendency to want to keep the big bucks in those top 5 conferences, and keep the mid majors out of it. The committee did a good job this year. They almost got all 4 teams into the Final 4, and I know that that is their goal. Screw the mid-majors..........I will be disappointed in Karno or Wiltjer go to the NBA. Kyle Wiljer is not Adam Morrison or Kelly Olynyk. And to tell you the truth I don't even remember the name of the young Sophomore who left after his second year I believe. See. It just doesn't mean that much to me.

basketballzag
04-13-2015, 02:03 PM

Hearing reports that Rem Backamus has also packed up his belongings and moved out of his apartment in anticipation of the Latvian draft as well. Sounds like Rem & Wiltjer believe they will be reunited again in the Latvian League in 2015. We will have to wait to see if Rem makes his decision official as well. If Rem comes back then Wiltjer comes back as does Karno but without Rem coming back Rem, Wiltjer and Karno are all headed to Europe to play in the Latvian league.

MickMick
04-13-2015, 02:04 PM
Open opportunities for others to fill the void.

Warm bodies will be brought in. There is a decent chance they can ball. Might even get a pleasant surprise or two.

No need to light your hair on fire. A lot of time to get things in order.

Vanzagger
04-13-2015, 02:08 PM
Reborn...Maybe he will let you touch his World Championship Ring some day

sittingon50
04-13-2015, 02:31 PM
Page 2.

23zagmd
04-13-2015, 02:34 PM
Before this potential Bad news....and it's not really Bad. The ultimate goal of any program is to have guys be successful when they leave the program......and they all leave at some time. Getting PK and KW in the NBA in either round is a huge win for GU as a program. We always have to rebuild, reload, whatever you want to call it...

Moving forward....my biggest concern for this team is going to be 3pt shooting.....period. If we lose KW we become a pedestrian 3pt shooting team. I know we don't have a large sample size with Melson, Perkins, Alberts, etc.. but this program has always had the ability to spread the floor, open the lane, and shoot the 3. No one on our roster will put the fear of god in anyone packing the paint against PK, Edwards, Sabonis, or whomever we throw out there.

Worthington
04-13-2015, 02:38 PM
If the idea for both KW and PK leaving is that they think their draft stock is high and they want to get drafted, then I think this is a horrible decision. If they simply feel that they've had long and fulfilling university careers and they're ready to move on to play basketball at a professional level (wherever it may be) then so be it, I can't hold that against them.

Next years draft is looking considerably weaker as it seems like nearly everybody who people thought might declare has declared. In a weaker draft class, I think that both Shem and Kyle would have a 'shot' at being first rounders. Kelly's draft class was the weakest in recent memory and he ended up going in the lottery despite lacking a lot of 'upside' that the scouts typically covet.

seacatfan
04-13-2015, 02:51 PM
There really were not many one and done players out there in Div 1. And most of them were at Kentucky and Duke. A few other schools may have had one, like UCLA, Arizona, Maybe Kansas. Therre were 3 senior on Wisconsin''s team that came back for their senior year so they could win the NCAA tournament. I think Michigan St had two seniors who came back. So all this talk about "welcome to the big time" is a bunch of crap in my opinion. I also did not see a bunch of one and done's on Notre Dame's team, nor on Iowa's, and look at the juniors coming back on Iowa State's team next year so they can go deep. So there are a few teams out there who can sweet up a handful of one and done'rs and win the National Championship...and my bet is that Coach K sold his soul to it because I have not ever known him to start and play so many one and doner's. I'll keep my love for basketball with teams like Gonzaga, Wichita St., Butler, Michigan St., Wisconsin, and on and on and on......college basketball is not the NBA, and although we would all like to win the NcAA Tournament I am not one who is in favor of selling my soul to win one. I think the NCAA should not be about the big money it is becoming. If it continues we will lose the heart and soul of college basketball. It is not supposed to be like the NBA and I believe that schools should begin to ban together to keep college basketball the way it was created to be. I do not even like the one and done idea. I think it has ruined college basketball to some extent because we have teams like Kentucky and now Duke. I know there is a tendency to want to keep the big bucks in those top 5 conferences, and keep the mid majors out of it. The committee did a good job this year. They almost got all 4 teams into the Final 4, and I know that that is their goal. Screw the mid-majors..........I will be disappointed in Karno or Wiltjer go to the NBA. Kyle Wiljer is not Adam Morrison or Kelly Olynyk. And to tell you the truth I don't even remember the name of the young Sophomore who left after his second year I believe. See. It just doesn't mean that much to me.

It's not "a bunch of crap." Early entrants to the draft does not only refer to freshmen. Kentucky just lost 7 guys with eligibility left, I believe only 3 of them were freshmen. It's still something you have to deal with if a soph or Jr. who was being counted on as a major contributor the following year declares. Many of the kids who go early, whether it's after their Fr. year or later, are predictable and foreseeable, but there are some head scratchers every year, or somebody who blows up and goes from questionable to being a lottery pick. Wisconsin is not a good example. Of their Seniors this year, who other than Kaminsky had any chance at all of being drafted previously? And Kaminsky is pretty much an anomaly in the current age. Dekker maybe could've been drafted after his Soph year, but he improved quite a bit as a Jr. and guess what, he declared, skipping his Sr. year. Florida was loaded with Sr. in 2013-14, but NONE of them got drafted, so they probably wouldn't have been drafted after their Jr. year either. Loyalty or chasing a National Title aren't really the norm these days, just about every kid is trying to turn pro as soon as he can. If Gonzaga ups their recruiting profile, they're going to be dealing with it regularly. Seems like Perkins isn't planning on staying for 4 years based on some comments that came out right after his injury.

VinnyZag
04-13-2015, 03:13 PM
Tweet a few seconds ago:

Jim Meehan @SRJimm
Kyle Wiltjer hasn't decided whether to return to Gonzaga or enter NBA Draft, according to GU source. Przemek Karnowski also hasn't decided.

jazzdelmar
04-13-2015, 03:20 PM
This is terrible news, if true. Whistling through the graveyard is an insufficient and temporary reaction.

Blitzing-Zag
04-13-2015, 03:23 PM
Where there is smoke there is fire.....................crap..................... ...

gonstu
04-13-2015, 03:26 PM
In a matter of a few days, we have gone from Edwards will play 5 mpg to Edwards needs to play 38 mpg. Is it too late to get Miekle back??? Maybe it's not too late to convince AN to stick around.

VinnyZag
04-13-2015, 03:31 PM
More Tweets:

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN
Gonzaga's Kyle Wiltjer is considering declaring for NBA, sources confirm to ESPN. NBA execs just told me he would might go undrafted.

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN
NBA exec on Wiltjer: "He has a chance to work himself into a guaranteed contract if he comes back and improves his quickness and defense."

Sam Vecenie from CBS:

Sam Vecenie @Sam_Vecenie
Wiltjer rumors about him going pro have been out there for a while. Given how high I am on him next season, I think it would be a mistake.

Sam Vecenie @Sam_Vecenie
Someone like him could legit earn a guaranteed deal if he has a 23/6/3 season next year, which is totally within his skill level.

seacatfan
04-13-2015, 03:33 PM
In a matter of a few days, we have gone from Edwards will play 5 mpg to Edwards needs to play 38 mpg. Is it too late to get Miekle back??? Maybe it's not too late to convince AN to stick around.

I'd prefer getting Spangler back, if we're recalling transfers...

jazzdelmar
04-13-2015, 03:35 PM
I'd prefer getting Spangler back, if we're recalling transfers...

Spangler and Sabonis up front. Wow. With those you can play three guards.

DixieZag
04-13-2015, 03:39 PM
If true about the two, we just went from one of the deepest backcourts to one of the thinnest.

If true we went from one of the best 3pt shooting teams this year and a sniper next year, to a below average 3pt shooting team.

What is depressing isn't so much the "haven't decided" so much as it had sounded like they "had decided" and are now rethinking it - ominous. OTOH, if decided, why not just say it?

what one hopes is that they are not listening to potential agents (through family or something) telling them what they want to hear in the hope of signing them.

BMAN
04-13-2015, 03:42 PM
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN · 10m10 minutes ago
Gonzaga's Kyle Wiltjer is considering declaring for NBA, sources confirm to ESPN. NBA execs just told me he might go undrafted.

BMAN
04-13-2015, 03:43 PM
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN · 11m11 minutes ago
NBA exec on Wiltjer: "He has a chance to work himself into a guaranteed contract if he comes back and improves his quickness and defense."

5 retweets 2 favorites

 Reply

 Retweet 5

 Favorite 2

U Zig, I Zag
04-13-2015, 03:44 PM
I can't see him leaving. The D-League is littered with bodies like his.

I think some star seniors get looks that others might not. I think some of the Wiscy kids will get good looks (and be drafted high) - but they earned it with proven performances and overall observable growth over a series of years.

If I was the team, my pitch to the PK and Kyle would be this: very little basketball this summer. All body work. Strength, stamina, toughness. KW needs muscle mass quickness and Shem needs even faster feet and to lose about 20lbs (or more).

jazzdelmar
04-13-2015, 03:44 PM
KW not exactly hearing trumpets with this leak. Maybe he will check his ego and heed reasonable advice. This behavior is reminiscent of when he snubbed GU and followed the pied piper of Crookapari. Lessons not learned i suspect. OTOH maybe his family needs the dough and, realistically, how much more of an NBA prospect can he really become?

DixieZag
04-13-2015, 03:52 PM
The "dorm packed" and "not seen on campus" thing bothers me.

A. It is a detail that is hard to 'make up' if one is trying to speculate and guess at being the first to break news.

B. It makes it harder to change his mind and come back if he's missed a week and a half of school.

Yet, like Jazz, it might well be that feelers were sent out and the message has not been positive. I wonder how much Few does in terms of wanting them back and yet trying to respect their decision as well as giving good advice. I have a hard time envisioning Few not putting the kid's future first. But, the hit to the program....

VinnyZag
04-13-2015, 03:57 PM
Ford is ESPN's NBA draft guy:

Chad Ford @chadfordinsider
Yikes! We don't even have a draft card for Wiltjer. Never heard a scout who thought he was a NBA player.

DixieZag
04-13-2015, 04:04 PM

Well that isn't what one wants to hear if one is considering the NBA.

Maybe he's just considering a good $400,000 in Europe. There are worse things than being single, making $400,000 and living in Europe at 23.

tampanjzag
04-13-2015, 04:10 PM
Well...

@120Sports: JUST IN: Gonzaga's Kyle Wiltjer will enter the NBA Draft. The 6'10 forward also spent two seasons with UK pic.twitter.com/MP3kczBq1d

Blitzing-Zag
04-13-2015, 04:14 PM
Well...

@120Sports: JUST IN: Gonzaga's Kyle Wiltjer will enter the NBA Draft. The 6'10 forward also spent two seasons with UK pic.twitter.com/MP3kczBq1d
Crap.........This hurts bad.........

CdAZagFan
Still holding out hope that in 3-4 weeks, order will be restored and Shem and Wiltjer will both have announced a return to GU. Until then, I will be losing some sleep over this thread...

DixieZag
Well...

S*it.

Good luck Kyle. We love you, always.

But, this one hurts, for many reasons.

TheZagPhish
04-13-2015, 04:15 PM
Huh. Wow. Okay.

sittingon50
04-13-2015, 04:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU0d8kpybVg

DixieZag
04-13-2015, 04:17 PM
I wonder....if David's success has impacted any of this.

David went undrafted and no one thought he had a chance, ever.

And they see that, think "If David can do it...."

???????

jazzdelmar
04-13-2015, 04:17 PM
Two gone. More to come?

basketballzag
04-13-2015, 04:18 PM

He is on a draft card but for 2016 not 2015. The only mistakes worse than Wiltjer declaring would be Rem. I suspected he would test the waters to see what he needs to work on but if someone is pushing him to actually leave and not test the waters right now then Wiltjer needs a new advisor because he is getting really bad advice. Pels won't touch him this year and wouldn't if he declared this year too strong a draft. Next year though Wiltjer has a real chance for guaranteed money.

LongIslandZagFan
04-13-2015, 04:23 PM
I will bite when I see it come from his Twitter account or hear it directly from him. Testing waters, that I get. But if he is jumping now... poor choice and bad decision. He could work his way to round 1 next year... as Goodman said... he'll likely go undrafted this year.

basketballzag
04-13-2015, 04:23 PM
Well...

Hope it works out for him for Gonzaga's sake but terrible financial decision IMO.

basketballzag
04-13-2015, 04:25 PM
I will bite when I see it come from his Twitter account or hear it directly from him. Testing waters, that I get. But if he is jumping now... poor choice and bad decision. He could work his way to round 1 next year... as Goodman said... he'll likely go undrafted this year.

I can only speak for myself (not part of the NBA franchise) but what is he thinking?

CDC84
04-13-2015, 04:27 PM
https://twitter.com/SRJimm/status/587754310089449472

I think Meehan is still the best source. Undecided.

zagsfanforlife
04-13-2015, 04:28 PM
I can only speak for myself (not part of the NBA franchise) but what is he thinking?

Not really thinking smartly. There is that.

Look, I get it if you think you could work yourself into a first round pick with good workouts. But Wiltjer is barely a second rounder right now! Chad Ford says he isnt even on draft boards! You say he might be looking to get a European contract? If so, why not wait a year, try to win a national championship and then go to Europe next year if you dont get drafted. But your draft stock will go up next year when you will undoubtedly be the guy. Someone is giving this kid terrible advice. Feel bad for him.

Rangerzag
04-13-2015, 04:29 PM

I think Meehan is still the best source.....

+1

zagsfanforlife
04-13-2015, 04:29 PM
This years draft is stacked. 0% chance he is a first rounder. Second rounders have no guarantees.

TexasZagFan
04-13-2015, 04:34 PM

I think Meehan is still the best source. Undecided.

CDC ranks up there, too. I'm too damn far from Spokane to have any clue of what's happening. This year's draft is loaded, thanks to the Kentucky 7. KW & PK would be far better off in next year's draft. Just my opinion, best wishes to these young men.

DixieZag
04-13-2015, 04:36 PM
Dickau and Slim (back when it was just one weird twitter) speculated that it might have to do with his age and wanting to get going on it.

Both thought it was a terrible decision.

Dickau made a strong point. Jimmer Fridette is somewhat a comparable talent in terms of shooting and defense, ....and is barely hanging on.

basketballzag
04-13-2015, 04:36 PM
Not really thinking smartly. There is that.

Look, I get it if you think you could work yourself into a first round pick with good workouts. But Wiltjer is barely a second rounder right now! Chad Ford says he isnt even on draft boards! You say he might be looking to get a European contract? If so, why not wait a year, try to win a national championship and then go to Europe next year if you dont get drafted. But your draft stock will go up next year when you will undoubtedly be the guy. Someone is giving this kid terrible advice. Feel bad for him.

Chad is 100% correct in that he is not on our draft board this year and I know he didn't talk to anyone in our organization.

basketballzag
04-13-2015, 04:38 PM
Dickau and Slim (back when it was just one weird twitter) speculated that it might have to do with his age and wanting to get going on it.

Both thought it was a terrible decision.

Dickau made a strong point. Jimmer Fridette is somewhat a comparable talent in terms of shooting and defense, ....and is barely hanging on.

Dan is still mad that he couldn't bring our franchise to the playoffs yet Jimmer is going to accomplish what Dan could not. Jimmer is doing a great job in NOLA and is far from barely hanging on.

DixieZag
04-13-2015, 04:43 PM
Dan is still mad that he couldn't bring our franchise to the playoffs yet Jimmer is going to accomplish what Dan could not. Jimmer is doing a great job in NOLA and is far from barely hanging on.

You would know better than me.

I don't follow. Just reporting on what was said.

MDABE80
04-13-2015, 04:49 PM
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN · 10m10 minutes ago
Gonzaga's Kyle Wiltjer is considering declaring for NBA, sources confirm to ESPN. NBA execs just told me he might go undrafted.

This is real. He's testing the water to get tips on what he needs to do. My guess is that Kyle would be assigned to a D league team and get screwed by leaving early I'm completely thinking he'll find out he needs to get back to GU for a very very strenous senior year.

seacatfan
04-13-2015, 05:06 PM
Wichita St. pair of guards Baker and VanVleet are planning to return for their Sr. year according to ESPN. I guess some kids are willing to delay possible entry to the NBA.

Reborn
04-13-2015, 05:33 PM
way to early for me to believe that he's committed to the NBA draft. It just does not make sense. I too trust the Knowledge that Meehan has.
I was thinking for awhile that it was April 1st but it's not.......crazy

caduceus
04-13-2015, 06:16 PM
From Reddit: (http://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketball/comments/32i4i3/gonzagas_kyle_wiltjer_considering_declaring_for/cqbg9bo)

Sam Malone (the [UK] walk on with the headband) is still good friends with Kyle from when he was at UK, and he says he literally just got off the phone with Kyle and this report is a blatant lie.

No idea of the reliability of this, but it makes a lot more sense than the escalating rumors going on.

hooter73
04-13-2015, 06:34 PM
From Reddit: (http://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketball/comments/32i4i3/gonzagas_kyle_wiltjer_considering_declaring_for/cqbg9bo)

No idea of the reliability of this, but it makes a lot more sense than the escalating rumors going on.

That makes the most sense out of everything Ive read today...

raise the zag
04-13-2015, 06:59 PM
IF he stays, he could pull a Frank Kaminski. A borderline 1st Rounder to much improved all-wooden, lottery pick type player.

Frank worked on his strength & rebounding, which paid dividends. He was always a 7' guy who could shoot & skilled, yet no one took him seriously til his final season when he proved he could defend, rebound, & play at a consistent physical level.

Everyone, including NBA, impressed with his junior to senior year improvemental.

As the NBA executive stated, he had a chance to gain strength, quickness, defense to play at next level.

Along the lines of Kaminski from Wiscy.

Kyle's father is a smart guy yet really forcing an unnecessary issue.

Hope Kyle returns for the sake of his guaranteed future & Gonzaga's. If he misses now, he misses for good.

ProjectMKUltra5
04-13-2015, 07:34 PM
Lol somebody trolling us Kyle isn't going anywhere

hondo
04-13-2015, 08:01 PM
And we are so easily trolled.

roxdoc
04-13-2015, 08:04 PM
The story: Tonight ESPN tweeted that KW was considering the possibility. This was picked up by 120 Sports who put out a report that he was going (35,000 followers). Someone discovered what was internally called a "screwup" and 120 deleted its report. Big jump from considering to actually going.

DixieZag
04-13-2015, 08:05 PM
And we are so easily trolled.

True.

But, we also forgive so easily.

Especially if it involves learning that our potential All-American and POY really isn't leaving....

Mr Vulture
04-13-2015, 08:06 PM
I frankly don't know what's real or not. I think both are more than qualified to test for the NBA but neither are even close to the 1st round. I personally hope neither leave but I have no idea what is happening either.

Ekrub
04-13-2015, 08:10 PM
Looks like the first kiss to report it may have jumped the gun:

@coltsfan8741 @_MrMainEvent_ @d2chesney @EuroZag01 True. Maybe that is what Kyle told my source at that time. He is likely juggling choices.

Still wouldn't shock me if he left, but the original "source" sounds like he is backing off of his first claim.

gonstu
04-13-2015, 08:25 PM
Ok Edwards, sorry - you're back to 5 mpg...for now.........

Zagdawg
04-13-2015, 08:44 PM
Jeff GoodmanVerified account
‏@GoodmanESPN Gonzaga's Kyle Wiltjer is considering declaring for NBA, sources confirm to ESPN. NBA execs just told me he might go undrafted.

Baseline
04-13-2015, 09:02 PM
Ok Edwards, sorry - you're back to 5 mpg...for now.........

There is no way Ryan only gets 5 minutes a game. He would be motivated to leave and I wouldn't blame him. Ryan will surprise, I could see the makings of a very good big man in him, just from what little he played. He looked way better than others as a freshman. His health problems masked his true potential.

TheZagPhish
04-13-2015, 09:21 PM
http://cl.ly/aeSA/riding-coaster-first-time.gif

Zagarooskis
04-13-2015, 09:47 PM
http://www.diehardsport.com/college-basketball/kentuckys-sam-malone-calls-out-espns-jeff-goodman-over-kyle-wiltjer-draft-report/

Let the rollercoaster ride continue :). Whatever happens, I wish the best to both Kyle and Karno!

ZagaZags
04-13-2015, 09:59 PM
http://www.diehardsport.com/college-basketball/kentuckys-sam-malone-calls-out-espns-jeff-goodman-over-kyle-wiltjer-draft-report/

Let the rollercoaster ride continue :). Whatever happens, I wish the best to both Kyle and Karno!

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn199/ljs96076/GIFs/cheers.gif

Birddog
04-14-2015, 04:13 AM
This is how I prefer my premature scoops.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhVZFEsn-8E5ZHRKjNTPgjmIctR8R9Ja0o02Lb9QK5pzj0RTCQdw

jazzdelmar
04-14-2015, 04:52 AM
That was all very thriling.....So, now where do we think we stand?

strikenowhere
04-14-2015, 05:28 AM
You know, Wiltjer could clear up a lot of confusion here by simply tweeting that he is still thinking about it and that nothing is concrete instead of going through multiple sources saying that he is going & staying at the same time.

Birddog
04-14-2015, 05:31 AM
My guess and it's only a guess is that he is looking to see if there is a chance he'll get drafted. He still has a couple of weeks to declare.
Here is the fine print from Wiki re declaring and eligibility.

"Early entry" player[edit]
Players who are not automatically eligible but wish to be drafted must declare their eligibility no later than 60 days before the draft.[17] After this date, "early entry" players may attend NBA pre-draft camps and individual team workouts to show off their skills and obtain feedback regarding their draft positions. Under the CBA, a player may withdraw his name from consideration from the draft at any time before the final declaration date, which is 10 days before the draft.[18] However, the NCAA adopted a rule that took effect in August 2009 that requires players at its member institutions to withdraw no later than May 8 to retain their college eligibility; the first draft affected by this rule was the 2010 draft.[19] In 2011, the NCAA further shortened its timeline for players to withdraw and retain eligibility; the deadline now falls one day before the start of the spring signing period for men's basketball, which occurs in April.[20] A player who declares for the draft will lose his college eligibility, even if he is not drafted, if any of the following is true:

The player signs with any agent.[21]
The player has declared for and withdrawn from a previous draft. Although the NBA collective bargaining agreement allows a player to withdraw twice,[18] the NCAA only allows a player to enter the draft once without losing eligibility.[20]

LongIslandZagFan
04-14-2015, 06:36 AM
My guess and it's only a guess is that he is looking to see if there is a chance he'll get drafted. He still has a couple of weeks to declare.
Here is the fine print from Wiki re declaring and eligibility.

I am not sure he is even doing that. I'd suspect he is testing the waters to get feedback on what he needs to work on to increase his draft potential. But I could be wrong.

Zags11
04-14-2015, 06:55 AM
He will be back for his Senior year imo. He has stuff he needs to work on and would be in his best interests to come back.

LongIslandZagFan
04-14-2015, 06:59 AM
His family and he doesn't strike me as people who are completely out of touch with reality. If the average folks here know he needs one more year, the talking heads all say he needs one more year, and NBA execs say he needs one more year... I highly doubt that they are sitting back going... yeah... lets try an get drafted this year... but I can see them saying to themselves "we have one more year, lets get some feedback as to where to focus improvements to increase draft potential"

raise the zag
04-14-2015, 07:00 AM
You know, Wiltjer could clear up a lot of confusion here by simply tweeting that he is still thinking about it and that nothing is concrete instead of going through multiple sources saying that he is going & staying at the same time.

This kind of "hype" gets scouts, Chad Ford, anonymous NBA execs, et al talking/tweeting about him. This mysterious hoopla is working for him, not against him. His so-called 'stock' is at least news-worthy & being put squarely on the map, if nothing else. Kyle is receiving news articles, buzz, tweets, message boards, ESPN reports, NBA guys chiming in; he's the most talked about prospect who isn't on draft boards.

The Wiltjers know exactly what they're doing, whether he officially declares this year or next. It's working.

hooter73
04-14-2015, 09:12 AM
Look at the power GU boards has! Lets create a run on toilet paper next buy placing a few tweets out there saying that there is a lack of it coming down the pipeline. Everybody panic!

gonzagafan62
04-14-2015, 09:13 AM
Look at the power GU boards has! Lets create a run on toilet paper next buy placing a few tweets out there saying that there is a lack of it coming down the pipeline. Everybody panic!

Quick to react, Quick to forgive.

Zagceo
04-14-2015, 09:43 AM
Who thinks Kyle would improve better and faster in the D-league?

gonzagafan62
04-14-2015, 09:55 AM

Not me. I think a year of dominance in college basketball would be very helpful. I think playing against "pros" and improving is the biggest bunch of baloney ever. Yeah, you have to play better against better competition to get better, but you lose confidence right away and its basically over. A year of press and honors would go a long way to ensuring the longest possible NBA career for Kyle IMO.

LongIslandZagFan
04-14-2015, 10:00 AM

said nobody ever. D-league would NOT improve him in the slightest.

CDC84
04-14-2015, 10:00 AM
A year of press and honors would go a long way to ensuring the longest possible NBA career for Kyle IMO.

And the possibility of playing in front of 72,000 at the final four and in front of a larger TV audience than the NBA finals or World Series.

If playing against "pros" were so important in the development of players, we wouldn't ever see guys like Paul Millsap in the NBA.

hooter73
04-14-2015, 10:55 AM
D league doesnt develop, it is a holding pen for backups without having to pay them.

LongIslandZagFan
04-14-2015, 10:56 AM
D league doesnt develop, it is a holding pen for backups without having to pay them.

Exactly. David S. is the exception as opposed to the rule. He developed on his own and dominated at that level.

CDC84
04-14-2015, 11:55 AM

It's also a place where no one cares about the game results. The goal of every player in the D-League is not to win games....it's to get out of the D-League as quickly as possible. That's problematic for a team sport like basketball where even the greatest player in history, Michael Jordan, needed to have hall of fame teammates and top notch role players surrounding him to win all those titles.

ZagsObserver
04-14-2015, 01:01 PM
While nothing is conclusive, obviously, the fact that Wiltjer has not come out to refute anything does provide some insights.

Angelo Roncalli
04-14-2015, 01:07 PM
While nothing is conclusive, obviously, the fact that Wiltjer has not come out to refute anything does provide some insights.

What have you devolved from his silence?

LongIslandZagFan
04-14-2015, 01:15 PM

IMHO, if he was definitely going, there is nothing gained by staying quiet. If you are testing the waters, getting a bit of name hype, but plan on coming back... silence is like gold.

zagfan24
Kyle has every right to make his decision in his own time. It's not on him to support or refute rumors. Moreso, there really hasn't been anything all that different coming out, at least from reliable sources...a lot of different iterations and interpretations of what most have suspected all along: Kyle is considering leaving early to pursue a professional career, but would also be happy to return to GU if there doesn't appear to be promising options available at the next level.

gonzagafan62
IMHO, if he was definitely going, there is nothing gained by staying quiet. If you are testing the waters, getting a bit of name hype, but plan on coming back... silence is like gold.

Exactly

sittingon50
04-14-2015, 01:34 PM
Glitch.

ZagsObserver
04-14-2015, 02:03 PM

I have an opinion, nothing more, that there is a lean towards the nba at this point.

Zag 77
04-14-2015, 02:20 PM
Who the Hell is Robert Perry?

Before I get my panties in a wad, I would like to know if he is a 16 year old geek with zits sitting at a computer pulling stuff out of thin air. I would sooner trust the bartender at Jack & Dan's.

The bartender says it is all B.S.

johno
04-14-2015, 03:29 PM
Hope he stays.

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
04-14-2015, 04:13 PM
I think he would get drafted in the 2nd round. He would get paid x dollars to play in a country like Australia for instance (it is nice there) and dedicate ALL his time to basketball and developing his game with the goal of entering the league in a year or 2. A team would make that investment in him. I think Kyle will always be categorized as a "specialty" type player at the next level. With the NBA like it or not AGE is used in a discriminatory manner against kids. I really don't trust sources like Goodman when tapping into his sources. He just botched the Swanigan recruitment info the other day claiming a package with Rabb to Cal.

In my opinion taking the new challenge takes courage. I know this isn't a popular post but just my opinion. Being a professional means dedicating your life to basketball. A student athlete has other responsibilities.

JPtheBeasta
04-14-2015, 04:14 PM
The bartender says it is all B.S.

Finally, something definitive!

Reborn
04-14-2015, 04:39 PM
If anything, Kyle is Lhao. He has probably not read one word that has been written on this thread. It's entertainment for bored Gonzaga fans. That's about it. hahahahaa lmao too.

TheZagPhish
04-14-2015, 05:20 PM
One wonders if this is all part of a forthcoming Bakamus film. We been punk'd.

DixieZag
04-14-2015, 05:29 PM
One wonders if this is all part of a forthcoming Bakamus film. We been punk'd.

For the first time ever! That's what makes me mad (If I'm mad). We play 10 dimensional chess in a checkers world.

tyra
04-15-2015, 06:37 AM
Anyone who genuinely believes that Kyle is going out, feel free to PM me with your wager offer. (He's not.) I am especially open to offers from those who have good season tickets in the Kennel.

cbbfanatic
04-15-2015, 07:42 AM

disagree.

sometimes kids want to go play professionally and start their relatively short professional earning window as soon as they can. and wont kw have a degree? karnowski too? i dont know, but either way, it doesnt mean that something is wrong with the program. not everybody is NBA bound, there are plenty of other options to make real money playing basketball. and the assumption that seems prevalent around here that playing in the US college system will better help develop a kids game is questionable, at best.

why not go pro somewhere where you are playing with and against better competition, and dont have to worry about the whole "school" thing. what better way to develop one's game than to make it your full time (and only) job?

cbbfanatic
04-15-2015, 07:54 AM
said nobody ever. D-league would NOT improve him in the slightest.

says you, the person with no skin in the game.

40% of nba draftees since 2005 have done a stint in the d-league. it is not some place that is devoid of talent and full of dead-end guys with no future. you can knock styles all you want, but from a pure talent & grown man perspective, the d-league route would provide better competition. and he would be a full time basketball player.

Mr Vulture
04-15-2015, 08:19 AM
The D League is not a place devoid of talent, but it is also professional basketball and there is not a focus on developing skills. You play and are expected to improve. The things that Kyle needs to work on to make the NBA are definately better served in the college environment. I don't know whether he is going or not, but I don't see the D-League as a viable way to improve.

40% of nba draftees since 2005 have done a stint in the d-league. it is not some place that is devoid of talent and full of dead-end guys with no future. you can knock styles all you want, but from a pure talent & grown man perspective, the d-league route would provide better competition. and he would be a full time basketball player.

LongIslandZagFan
04-15-2015, 08:26 AM

Never said devoid of talent. What I said was there really is no development that occurs there. The player is expected to do so on their own. They are solely responsible for strength and conditioning training. They are solely responsible for improving their game, at their own cost. If you honestly think D league teams have more resources than a D1 university, you may be fooling yourself. Can it be a route to the big show... yes. More often than not, it isn't, but it can be.

Marcus
04-15-2015, 08:32 AM
disagree.

sometimes kids want to go play professionally and start their relatively short professional earning window as soon as they can. and wont kw have a degree? karnowski too? i dont know, but either way, it doesnt mean that something is wrong with the program. not everybody is NBA bound, there are plenty of other options to make real money playing basketball. and the assumption that seems prevalent around here that playing in the US college system will better help develop a kids game is questionable, at best.

why not go pro somewhere where you are playing with and against better competition, and dont have to worry about the whole "school" thing. what better way to develop one's game than to make it your full time (and only) job?

I believe this to be true for the both of them, they will both have their degrees. It may not be a total basketball related decision. School is a ton of work, not to mention doing it while playing basketball where every minute needs to be managed. I participated in college athletics at a much lower level than this but it was still extremely time consuming. While I loved the college experience as an athlete, when my last day of classes finished and I was going to get my Bachelors I was just really done with all the studying and school work. I had absolutely zero intrest in putting forth more effort into a Masters program of any kind. Even though I had one more year I could've played there was just no way I wanted to remain in school and my job prospects were no where close to as lucrative as these two. It was time to start working. I would not begrudge either of these two if they grad and move on to a career. Why not get paid to play basketball and not have to worry about the extra effort required to do a Masters.

Having said all that, I believe they will both be back and will both get drafted after a glorious run in the 2016 NCAA tournament.

Coach Crazy
04-15-2015, 08:33 AM

Ok. So, have you ever had behind-the-scenes/daily operations experience in the D-League? Because it sounds like you haven't.

it is not some place that is devoid of talent and full of dead-end guys with no future.

Actually, it is more "devoid of talent and full of dead-end guys with no future" than it isn't. That is the sad reality.

from a pure talent & grown man perspective, the d-league route would provide better competition

You are likely to find more physical maturity, but that doesn't always equate to "better". And no the D-League would not provide him better competition. His scholarship is actually worth far, far more than a D-League contract.

Having some experience with the D-League (However brief it was...not as a player, obviously), I can tell you it is not impossible to go down there and make something happen, but it is essentially a league where the majority of the players are being groomed to be end-of-the-bench guys. They are told that the best way to make it to the league is to show that they can be that kind of player. You don't really get a ton of player development coaching down there. I remember them bringing in a shooting consultant once. And then the coaching consultant was Bob Hill; he did not have positives remarks for Luke Ridnour.

I could go into more detail, but I don't want to write a super long post. Going to the D-League would be a giant mistake for Kyle.

zagfan1
04-15-2015, 09:49 AM
Kyle should stay period. When he no longer gets intimidated ( like against the Duke bigs) then he should go. He missed a crucial lay in and really just lacked aggressiveness against Duke. If we had advanced to Mich State he would have needed to be a force against those bigs as well. That game against Duke should tell him he has work to do.

sittingon50
04-15-2015, 09:54 AM
Bump

(sorry guys, the only way I can get off the 1st page of this thread is to post. Have had this problem several times in the last little while).

04-15-2015, 11:10 AM
http://www.news-record.com/blogs/sports_extra/state-s-trevor-lacey-declares-for-nba-draft/article_2ed15cb8-e39e-11e4-a251-5705cba8331d.html

Lacey isn't listed on CBS Sports NBA draft prospect rankings and is ranked No. 96 in Yahoo! Sports' rankings. It's not clear where he be drafted, if at all. But Lacey, a redshirt junior, was going to be 24 in October.

Will Kyle be 24 in October? The way the business side of this works is age seems to always be a key variable with players and GM's. Honestly I don't think it should be but the reality of everything kinda shows otherwise. Lacey I think will try and have good workouts and play himself into the league outside of the college experience.

Mr Vulture
04-15-2015, 11:26 AM
Kyle will be 23 in October of this year....I don't think that would really impact anything as he is ranked as an undrafted free agent right now by most experts.

cggonzaga
04-15-2015, 11:42 AM
Kyle should stay period. When he no longer gets intimidated ( like against the Duke bigs) then he should go.

His 13 first half points weren't aggressive enough for you? His missed layup was embarrassing but not due to intimidation.

75Zag
04-15-2015, 11:48 AM
I would not fault Kyle or other GU players if they determined that the "magic moment" for GU domination of the NCAA Tournament has passed (at least for the next couple seasons). I am not smart enough to know whether next year's GU team has a strong shot at the Final Four, but I have to believe the odds are far less than they were this year. We were ahead of Duke in the 2nd half and let the game get away.

Good luck to all past, present and future GU players. At the risk of sounding like Bette Midler, you guys will always be my heroes and the (non gay) air beneath my wings.

Go Bulldogs!

Mr Vulture
04-15-2015, 11:58 AM
Most experts peg Gonzaga as a Top 10 team heading into next season if everyone returns. I would say that would provide a pretty decent shot at the Final Four, which really hinges on Perkins being what most think he is..including me.

Mantua
04-15-2015, 12:17 PM
Exactly. David S. is the exception as opposed to the rule. He developed on his own and dominated at that level.

David IS the exception. David and his family have their feet on the ground when it comes to knowing what kind of skill development is necessary to play in the pros. David's focus on doing the right kind of work to allow him to get a spot on an NBA team is very rare and serious business. Having "lived" in the NBA for a lifetime and understanding it's demands has been an advantage for David far beyond his father's fame.

KW and PK have improved and gained recognition this year, but need to keep working hard to prove themselves.

TheGonzagaFactor
04-15-2015, 01:35 PM
disagree.

I can't think of a relevant NCAA player that's left early to go to Europe, which is what both of them would be doing if they don't come back to GU next year.

CDC84
04-15-2015, 01:58 PM
Most experts peg Gonzaga as a Top 10 team heading into next season if everyone returns. I would say that would provide a pretty decent shot at the Final Four, which really hinges on Perkins being what most think he is..including me.

And even more so if they land a wing scorer like Damion Lee. I think some people don't understand that college basketball is not going to be nearly as top heavy next season. As one analyst I know put it: "The field is going to stink next year." Next year's GU team could be even better, relative to field, than this year's team was. There won't be a Duke standing in their way. But the frontcourt needs to return, and Josh needs to stay healthy and develop throughout the course of the season.

04-15-2015, 01:59 PM
I can't think of a relevant NCAA player that's left early to go to Europe, which is what both of them would be doing if they don't come back to GU next year.

If you get drafted in the 2nd round that team owns your rights and does have an interest in your growth. Last year Deandre Daniels left and was drafted by Toronto in the 2nd round. He is now in Australia. So Europe is not the only place. Daniels was also an older Junior. He still has a shot at the league. I think Kyle may feel like he is being left behind considering the class at Kentucky he came in with. He is a specialist. A marksmen specialist at the next level. In the right system he may get a real good look this year. It only takes 1 GM. I think we all should be happy for him if he decides to go pro. You guys agree?

BobZag
04-15-2015, 02:02 PM
We are hearing of difficulties with this thread re: browsing and reading through it. The techs have been notified.

CDC84
04-15-2015, 02:08 PM
I think Kyle may feel like he is being left behind considering the class at Kentucky he came in with. He is a specialist. A marksmen specialist at the next level. In the right system he may get a real good look this year. It only takes 1 GM. I think we all should be happy for him if he decides to go pro. You guys agree?

If KW goes pro, gets selected and makes a team, we should also be happy for the program. Not just him. Having players from your program make the league - especially guys who are perceived to be specialists - can only help recruiting.

I just don't know how many player "guarantees" take place with 2nd round players. A GM would almost have to be infatuated with the player....almost as if he's a hidden gem that everybody is overlooking.

the dood
04-15-2015, 02:59 PM
If KW goes pro, gets selected and makes a team, we should also be happy for the program. Not just him. Having players from your program make the league - especially guys who are perceived to be specialists - can only help recruiting.

I just don't know how many player "guarantees" take place with 2nd round players. A GM would almost have to be infatuated with the player....almost as if he's a hidden gem that everybody is overlooking.

I think I heard that Tom Izzo stated that kids getting drafted, not final fours, were what really helps him land new recruits, so while it would be very unfortunate short term to have Kyle declare, if he gets drafted and has success, then it will be a very good thing for GU long term.

Personally, I think Kyle would benefit more from sticking around (and I think he will), but I can't fault a guy at his age, with the year he had, trying to get a feel for if the timing is right.

Side note, one of my clients plays pro-ball in Japan, did some stints in Australia as well. He makes six figures, gets to travel the world, and is in great shape. Not sure how anyone would look at that as a downside - it's not NBA money, but it's a very nice living.

BigZagFan
04-15-2015, 03:11 PM
Consider that Rob Sacre was the last player drafted. All be it, a senior. He did earn a place on the big boy club with his defense.

zagsfanforlife
04-15-2015, 03:29 PM

EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING. THANK YOU!!!!

College players dont leave school early for Europe. Europe will be there if they cant make the NBA in a year. I know neither will have guaranteed contracts in the NBA if they leave this year.

raise the zag
04-15-2015, 03:49 PM
Consider that Rob Sacre was the last player drafted. All be it, a senior. He did earn a place on the big boy club with his defense.

Um, Kelly Olynyk was a LOTTERY PICK two seasons ago. Earning 2+ million/yr.

Elias Harris was signed to NBA contract yet opted out for Europe.

Not to mention, David Stockton was just signed to a multi-year deal two days ago.

ZaGranny
04-15-2015, 04:01 PM
Um, Kelly Olynyk was a LOTTERY PICK two seasons ago. Earning 2+ million/yr.

Elias Harris was signed to NBA contract yet opted out for Europe.

Not to mention, David Stockton was just signed to a multi-year deal two days ago.

I thought the same thing you did---then I realized that he probably meant that Rob was the last person drafted in his draft--60th--Mr. Irrelevant--who has made himself relevant as a backup for the lakers.

ZaGranny

04-15-2015, 04:05 PM

I don't see anything wrong with coming back for an advanced degree. Education has value no matter what side of the issue you are on. I understand the idea of trying to play your way into the 1st round with a team primed for another Sweet16 run. Just not sure that type of exposure would be enough to top this year and the various accolades accomplished personally. My guess is Kyle will be faced with a very similar situation this time next year if he returns to Gonzaga. Also injury is a scary prospect as we witnessed with Perkins. Keep in mind Pangos and Bell and many other players in general spent a lot of time not 100% during stretch runs of seasons. Wiltjer could get something like Cameron Bairstow got with the Bulls who was drafted at #49 last year. He joined the Bulls in the Summer League and was signed to a 3 yr deal with only 1.5 guaranteed. Ultimately the question is where will he improve more as a player. In all fairness I think that is a fair question. It could very well be leaving is in his best interests. Only time will tell.

MDABE80
04-15-2015, 04:33 PM
One thing: we don't have anything to say about it. Not sure if that's comforting but knowing that........should make you all pause. It really IS Kyle's choice. He wants the NBA, fine. If he decides to come back , he can still want the NBA. Given the weaker state of college basketball next year, he could be a 20-10 kid and a 1st team AA. Nothing feeds you as well as a big paycheck form the NBA though.
But if he leaves, we all wish him well.

ZAGLAWQB
04-15-2015, 05:24 PM
Not to put dampers on the Stockton deal but I see a lot of factors unrelated to his playing potential as reasons for the timing of this contract.

hooter73
04-15-2015, 08:48 PM
Seniors who are potential pro players who come back for another college year usually have so much insurance riding on them that my agent would drool and hyperventilate at the same time.

WallaWallaZag
04-15-2015, 09:22 PM
Seniors who are potential pro players who come back for another college year usually have so much insurance riding on them that my agent would drool and hyperventilate at the same time.

the premiums on those policies can run around $20K-$30K...a huge chunk of change for someone who's very questionable to be a first round pick next year...

raise the zag
04-16-2015, 02:48 AM
David Stockton has been a HUGE influence in this 'early entrant' hoopla surrounding GU.

The entire team has taken notice that you CAN work your way from D-League play to earning a roster spot & guaranteed contract.

Stockton has improved tremendously in all phases, no question, yet 99% of his was timing (Georgsr Karl being hired as HC) and simply being a "late bloomer". Stocks has grown some serious muscle & strength. As with David, I was 150lbs throughout college and couldn't gain a single pound if I tried til I graduated, which I bulked up to 185 & broke through strength wise. Like a whole new person after age 23.

Stocks has been an inspiration for these kids. Giving hope to undrafted Zags who are likely comparing their skills or situations.

Props to DS, yet I believe he is truly a 1 in a million example and timing can be everything. Along with hard work. Besides, can Wiltjer average a triple-double in D-League as Stocks has done the past month? Stockton has been defying the odds his entire life, it runs in his blood.

As for Karnowski, his interest stems overseas. KREM2 reported Wiltjer has a market value of around 150K in Europe, Karnowski surprisingly higher...

kitzbuel
04-16-2015, 03:49 AM
From my perspective in ten peanut gallery, if KW in particular goes to the NBA, I hope he doggone sticks. That would do more for GU's rep with recruits than anything. GU is developing a really good reputation for getting 'fringe' talent into the League. Top recruits are going to look at that.

If GU can get Rob Sacre or David Stockton in; if GU can turn a KO into an NBA starter, imagine what it can do with a Burger Boy.

bartruff1
04-16-2015, 06:30 AM
I hope they do what they want to do...period......no one can predict the future. You can speculate all you want and you can offer examples all you want both pro and con and in the end, the young men will make their choice for their own reasons.

I suspect that none of the big three will be back , but I don't know that and neither does anyone else..

TheGonzagaFactor
04-16-2015, 07:02 AM
If you get drafted in the 2nd round that team owns your rights and does have an interest in your growth. Last year Deandre Daniels left and was drafted by Toronto in the 2nd round. He is now in Australia. So Europe is not the only place. Daniels was also an older Junior. He still has a shot at the league. I think Kyle may feel like he is being left behind considering the class at Kentucky he came in with. He is a specialist. A marksmen specialist at the next level. In the right system he may get a real good look this year. It only takes 1 GM. I think we all should be happy for him if he decides to go pro. You guys agree?

Come on that's even worse...

LongIslandZagFan
04-16-2015, 07:04 AM
I hope they do what they want to do...period......no one can predict the future. You can speculate all you want and you can offer examples all you want both pro and con and in the end, the young men will make their choice for their own reasons.

I suspect that none of the big three will be back , but I don't know that and neither does anyone else..

Big Three??? If I am not mistaken, Sabonis has already said he wasn't going anywhere.

jazzdelmar
04-16-2015, 07:16 AM
Bizarro Bartruff. Hope it works.

BULLDOG#1
04-16-2015, 07:17 AM
Wasn't McBuckets a borderline guy who came back to school for another year, and was national player of the year and drafted 11th?

Seems like there's some similarity to KW. If he put up huge numbers (quite possible) then he could literally shoot his way in to the first round (or lottery).
I can't imagine that happening coming into the NBA from the D-league.

He may declare and not hire an agent just to test the waters. I mean, why not? Some team may love the offense and take a first rounder on him. I'm not sure if it's legal to promise a kid he'd be taken in the second round and then guarantee him a contract.

Regardless, it seems his best bet for fame and fortune would be to return to GU and make another run with Shem and Bonus.

Hoopaholic
04-16-2015, 07:50 AM
the formal announcement timeline has come and left that would have allowed him to back out after testing the waters

now the deadline is the 28th of April and if you announce you cannot come back to NCAA it is all or nothing between now and the 28th

Bkzag
04-16-2015, 07:58 AM
the formal announcement timeline has come and left that would have allowed him to back out after testing the waters

now the deadline is the 28th of April and if you announce you cannot come back to NCAA it is all or nothing between now and the 28th

Thought April 22 was the first deadline?

Bogozags
04-16-2015, 08:31 AM
Let us just say both KW & PK leave for greener pastures, that leaves us with the following "experienced" players:

Melson, Jenks, KD, Sabonis, McClellan, Edwards and Griffin*. Alberta, has in practice sessions, played within GU's system but lacks game experience. So we would have eight players...only two front court players making us extremely thin and six guards that would have to play three positions!

Now, my question is, "Who on God's green earth would seriously rank us in the top 25?"

If this our TEAM next season, then I think we will be hard pressed to finish second in WCC play and be fortunate to make the dance. Next season could well be a "testy" one to say the least.

I'm hoping one or both stay which would completely change the outcome for next season's play.

* He has the most experience and skill of the walk-ons.

bartruff1
04-16-2015, 08:36 AM
Big Three??? If I am not mistaken, Sabonis has already said he wasn't going anywhere.

That is also my understanding...it is also my understanding that he can change his mind and I think he will....for a variety of reasons ...including the situation with this team.

Malaga is a lovely city with lovely weather and beaches and even more lovely girls....I suspect his mother (European Mothers rule) would rather he says home....so we shall see.

Gonzaga and the NBA are not the total of these kids world...Spangler being one example....there are many.

Mr Vulture
04-16-2015, 08:41 AM
I think you are way off base frankly. I would put Sabonis at less than 10%, Karnowski at roughly 33%, and Wiltjer at 50% of going pro. I personally think they all come back to Gonzaga for next season, but I'm just speculating by reading between the lines. One other thing, what is the "situation" with this team??

That is also my understanding...it is also my understanding that he can change his mind and I think he will....for a variety of reasons ...including the situation with this team.

Malaga is a lovely city with lovely weather and beaches and even more lovely girls....I suspect his mother (European Mothers rule) would rather he says home....so we shall see.

Gonzaga and the NBA are not the total of these kids world...Spangler being one example....there are many.

thespywhozaggedme
04-16-2015, 08:45 AM
Australia's worse than Europe? He plays in Perth, the San Diego of Oz.

Come on that's even worse...

zagsfanforlife
04-16-2015, 08:51 AM
Let us just say both KW & PK leave for greener pastures, that leaves us with the following "experienced" players:

Nelson, Jenks, KD, Sabonis, McClellan, Edwards and Griffin*. Alberta, has in practice sessions, played within GU's system but lacks game experience. So we would have eight players...only two front court players making us extremely thin and six guards that would have to play three positions!

Now, my question is, "Who on God's green earth would seriously rank us in the top 25?"

If this our TEAM next season, then I think we will be hard pressed to finish second in WCC play and be fortunate to make the dance. Next season could well be a "testy" one to say the least.

I'm hoping one or both stay which would completely change to outcome for next season's play.

* He has the most experience and skill of the walk-ons.

First off, his name is Melson, with an M. Not Nelson. Second, I highly doubt Karnowski and Wiltjer are both gone. Doesnt make any sense. Third, what makes you think that that would really be the roster next season. If both left we would have 4 or 5 scholarships to fill. You dont think Tommy and Few will bring in any stud players to fill those spots? The Zags are not going anywhere and will not be 2nd in the WCC for the next decade.

Zagdawg
04-16-2015, 08:56 AM
Some folks like drama- so they make things up or guess about situations without any basis to support. Nothing wrong with that.
I'm going to wait and see what is going to happen as life is too short to create situations that are not really there.

Go Zags- Bring on the Rain!

JAGzag
04-16-2015, 08:58 AM
How or why has no one confirmed whether he's physically moved out?

LongIslandZagFan
04-16-2015, 09:02 AM
Just curious, as I don't know the answer and perhaps someone else here does, if KW has graduated, and lets say he didn't finish the semester of his Grad classes (which I am not convinced of and with FERPA rules it is impossible to prove or disprove) does that impact the APR score? I mean he has already graduated, unless I am mistaken.

Zag 77
04-16-2015, 09:26 AM
David Stockton has been a HUGE influence in this 'early entrant' hoopla surrounding GU.

The entire team has taken notice that you CAN work your way from D-League play to earning a roster spot & guaranteed contract.

Why is Matt Bouldin seemingly buried in the D-League like it is a black hole? He was a lot better player than David Stockton.

raise the zag
04-16-2015, 09:45 AM
Why is Matt Bouldin seemingly buried in the D-League like it is a black hole? He was a lot better player than David Stockton.

Simply put: he's out-playing Matty B by a w i d e margin.

I'm not sure GUBoards' posters realize and/or aware of Stockton's impact in D-League play.

For instance, in his last 20 games David Stockton is averaging:

27 ppg
12.5 apg
3.5 spg
46% FG
41% 3pt

His entire season averages are: 20 ppg, 9.5 apg, 2.5 spg, 46% FG, 40% 3pt.

He had 5 assists in 3 mins last night for NBA Kings as well.

Matt Bouldin, in D-League this season (career bests after 4 seasons):

14 ppg, 4 apg, 1.5 apg, 42% FG, 34% 3pt

A shocking difference in stats and impact. Not to mention, Matt Bouldin is playing 3 MORE MINS ON AVG per game than Stockton.

#blowsmymind

WallaWallaZag
04-16-2015, 09:46 AM

"was" is the key word...plus stockton fits the nba better as he is much quicker than bouldin and can play a true pg.

Zagdawg
04-16-2015, 09:47 AM
But.... but... stockton is too short and unathletic..slight in build to play ball.

WallaWallaZag
04-16-2015, 09:51 AM

Nelson, Jenks, KD, Sabonis, McClellan, Edwards and Griffin*. Alberta, has in practice sessions, played within GU's system but lacks game experience. So we would have eight players...only two front court players making us extremely thin and six guards that would have to play three positions!

still think zags would be top 25 (eventually) and it would be fun to watch sabonis go for 20 and 12 every night in this scenario

Qhall43
04-16-2015, 09:54 AM
Can we please quit proclaiming that David has made it because of his "multi-year" contract. Obviously it's great for him and the program to be able to say that he signed a multi-year deal, but there's a reason that there's a huge influx of signings of D-League players at the end of the season.

It allows the team to retain their rights going into next year and bring them into their summer league team at the low cost of only paying them for a couple games. These contracts are typically only guaranteed through the end of the season (ie. 2-3 games) with no guarantee heading into next year. The majority of these players will be back in the D-League or overseas come next season.

I can't find an article about David discussing the finer points of these signings but here's one on Jorge Gutierrez who is in a similar situation with the Bucks.

http://www.bucksketball.com/2015/04/bucks-sign-jorge-gutierrez-to-multi-year-contract/

"Typically when multi-year contracts are handed out near the end of a season, a player is guaranteed for the rest of the season and has the second year of the deal unguaranteed. Milwaukee will likely bring Gutierrez to summer league in Las Vegas and have him in camp next October. At that point they’ll decide whether or not to pick up the second year of his deal.The Bucks followed a similar path the past off season with Chris Wright, who ended up taking an offer in Europe, likely assuming he wouldn’t have his contract picked up by the Bucks for the season."

David's had a great season and I think exceeded the expectations of nearly everyone, but he's still a long-shot to make the team next year.

WallaWallaZag
04-16-2015, 10:02 AM
But.... but... stockton is too short and unathletic..slight in build to play ball.

despite the sarcasm :D, the nba cares much more about wingspan than actual height, and stockton has actually measured out quite well...6'3 in every report i've seen...long arms and big hands...pangos on the other hand despite being at least a couple inches taller than stockton has a wingspan under 6...huge difference for future considerations.

Zags_Fanatic
04-16-2015, 10:07 AM
Simply put: he's out-playing Matty B by a w i d e margin.

I'm not sure GUBoards' posters realize and/or aware of Stockton's impact in D-League play.

For instance, in his last 20 games David Stockton is averaging:

27 ppg
12.5 apg
3.5 spg
46% FG
41% 3pt

His entire season averages are: 20 ppg, 9.5 apg, 2.5 spg, 46% FG, 40% 3pt.

He had 5 assists in 3 mins last night for NBA Kings as well.

#blowsmymind

Not to discount what DS has been doing in Reno in any way, shape or form, however, it should be noted that he is putting those numbers playing in a system that is similar to what Westphal was doing at LMU. They have had a lot of 150+ point performances which means all of those numbers will trend upward, especially ppg and apg. It seems like David found his niche in this style of play and has been phenomenal. His percentages are very respectable so it isn't all about the system, he is performing at a VERY high level and has earned every ounce of credibility. I only bring it up because it should be considered when comparing stats to players from other teams with slower paced offenses.

Birddog
04-16-2015, 10:17 AM
Not to discount what DS has been doing in Reno in any way, shape or form, however, it should be noted that he is putting those numbers playing in a system that is similar to what Westphal was doing at LMU. They have had a lot of 150+ point performances which means all of those numbers will trend upward, especially ppg and apg. It seems like David found his niche in this style of play and has been phenomenal. His percentages are very respectable so it isn't all about the system, he is performing at a VERY high level and has earned every ounce of credibility. I only bring it up because it should be considered when comparing stats to players from other teams with slower paced offenses.

It's a common mistake, but it was Westhead.

bballbeachbum
04-16-2015, 11:16 AM
It's a common mistake, but it was Westhead.

nice 30 for 30 on espn about him if you get the chance to view it

coolhandzag
04-16-2015, 11:31 AM
Karnowski and Wiltjer will both play for the Zags next year.

ZagsObserver
04-16-2015, 11:56 AM

Is this an informed or uninformed opinion? Thanks

kclubfounder
04-16-2015, 12:05 PM

Wonderful. Sounds like gospel to me. Now I can go back into hibernation.

coolhandzag
04-16-2015, 12:08 PM

I suppose most would call it uninformed. It makes no difference either way. Playing for the ball club would be the logical choice for both, and probably the result we will see in November.

kclubfounder
04-16-2015, 12:11 PM
I suppose most would call it uninformed. It makes no difference either way. Playing for the ball club would be the logical choice for both, and probably the result we will see in November.

Oh. Not quite gospel I guess. Dang.

ZagsObserver
04-16-2015, 12:14 PM

Great. Thanks. That's certainly the hope

Bogozags
04-16-2015, 12:16 PM
I agree, Sabonis would still be a strong force no matter who the opponent and will love watching him and all the Zags play next year. Regarding rankings...don't know if they would be ranked...time will tell...

ZagsObserver
04-16-2015, 12:27 PM
I agree, Sabonis would still be a strong force no matter who the opponent and will love watching him and all the Zags play next year. Regarding rankings...don't know if they would be ranked...time will tell...

If gonzaga lost wiltjer and karnowski, and depending on who they bring in, they might struggle to make the tournament. They would need to keep Sabonis on the floor and out of foul trouble to be competitive.

ZagaZags
04-16-2015, 12:39 PM
When was the last time GU lost all 5 starters?

I still think Karnowski & Wiltjer come back. JMO

GoZags
04-16-2015, 02:55 PM

I don't know where chz got his info ... but my source (who's VERY much in a position to know) has said all three bigs will be back at Gonzaga next season.

DixieZag
04-16-2015, 03:00 PM
I don't know where chz got his info ... but my source (who's VERY much in a position to know) has said all three bigs will be back at Gonzaga next season.

I like your source better than other peoples' source.

Zagdawg
04-16-2015, 03:03 PM
Magic 8-Ball in the house!!!

ZagsObserver
04-16-2015, 03:03 PM

ditto. Thanks, GoZags

GoZags
04-16-2015, 03:06 PM

We always have to remember that things can be fluid (or ... as I like to say, nothing is in the bag until it is in the bag). That being said, it's the belief of folks that "should" know that all three bigs will be back.

There's a problem with being "definitive" and 100 percent certain with these kind of things. Minds can change ... someone could tell a person they'd write them a BIG check ... but the bottom line is ... all three "should" be back.

JPtheBeasta
04-16-2015, 04:21 PM

Does he/she make a good mint gimlet?

ETA: I trust your source is reliable, and NOT a bartender :]

Mantua
04-16-2015, 04:48 PM
despite the sarcasm :D, the nba cares much more about wingspan than actual height, and stockton has actually measured out quite well...6'3 in every report i've seen...long arms and big hands...pangos on the other hand despite being at least a couple inches taller than stockton has a wingspan under 6...huge difference for future considerations.

Allen Iverson - Height 5’ 11.25” Wingspan 6’ 3.25”

Every time the coaches are looking at short guys, I'm hoping for another AI.

gonstu
04-16-2015, 05:09 PM
How does one nominate this thread for forum hall of fame consideration?

It has a little bit of everything that makes this board so special.

Numerous unnamed "sources" that have reliable credibility - shockingly that contradict each other, guarantees, guarantees that first guarantees are wrong, sky is falling statements, panic, reassurance. In other words, it's been great!

229SintoZag
04-16-2015, 05:39 PM

Careful GoZags. You are likely to make Spy's head explode. Speaking of spy where did he go?

GrizZAG
04-16-2015, 05:44 PM
Hopefully all the buzz about NBA has just mostly been posturing to keep their name in the minds of the agents and NBA folks and that is all. I am banking on GoZags!

FGZagDad
04-16-2015, 07:11 PM
Me too. It's to early for these guys. Hang around for a year, get better and go.

thespywhozaggedme
04-16-2015, 08:29 PM
I'm here. Didn't know I was missed. It feels good to be wanted.
Careful GoZags. You are likely to make Spy's head explode. Speaking of spy where did he go?

MDABE80
04-16-2015, 08:40 PM
GZ knows stuff. I fhe says it, all of em will retur for a FF run.

jpn17
04-16-2015, 09:22 PM
I hope Karnowski and Wiltjer both return for next season, not just for the fans, but for them as well. I remember when Olynyk left thinking that it was the right choice and he really didn't have any more major steps he could hurdle at Gonzaga. But for both Karnowski and Wiltjer I feel like them leaving now would be a mistake. They both have aspects of their games that could see significant improvement with another year of college ball, which would greatly improve their draft stock. Regardless of what choice they make, I wish them both the very best and if either goes pro I hope I am proven wrong.

GoZags
04-17-2015, 06:34 AM
GZ knows stuff. I fhe says it, all of em will retur for a FF run.

Doc .... please keep in mind what I'd also written in post 192 on this thread .... http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?53871-Inside-source-close-to-Kyle-Wiltjer-to-enter-NBA-draft-TROUBLE-WITH-BROWSER&p=1114396#post1114396

We always have to remember that things can be fluid (or ... as I like to say, nothing is in the bag until it is in the bag). That being said, it's the belief of folks that "should" know that all three bigs will be back.

There's a problem with being "definitive" and 100 percent certain with these kind of things. Minds can change ... someone could tell a person they'd write them a BIG check ... but the bottom line is ... all three "should" be back.

I can't think of a better example than this ... the person I heard the "all three bigs will be back" is the same person, 4 or 5 years ago that whispered Kyle Wiltjer would be coming to Gonzaga out of Jesuit. We all know ... that didn't happen (until later) ... but the "thinking" at the time was Kyle would be a Zag from the beginning.

Again ... nothing is ever in the bag until it is in the bag.

MDABE80
04-17-2015, 08:51 AM
GZ I'm thinking that of yesterday you are correct. In the end, with a situation like this, I think we all know something freakish could happen at the 11 th hour. Your statement was given in good faith. If sombody bolts, it wouldn't be shocking. As of now though, I think your statement is correct. ......barring any temporal lobe siesures causing abrupt amnesia;)

TheGonzagaFactor
04-17-2015, 09:07 AM
Australia's worse than Europe? He plays in Perth, the San Diego of Oz.

I was talking about the quality of pro basketball.

Oregonzagnut
04-18-2015, 08:02 AM
Kyle isn't projected in any of the most reputable mock drafts. Also, we should remember how Wiltjer transferred to Gonzaga and departed from Kentucky. Via social media. The rumor mill kicked in and the conversations that followed helped him gauge what people thought. Furthermore, Kyle isn't ignorant to the fact that he is a certified NBA prospect (6th in Wooden), but just not a 2nd rounder for some reason. For Kyle to NOT put out the "possibility" of his entering the draft would be foolhardy. People go to college to get jobs. Why on Gods green Earth would Kyle not want to gauge his value? Using the social media strategy seems to work quickly, albeit risky to ones self esteem and not exactly reassuring for anyone until he finally decides.

thespywhozaggedme
04-18-2015, 08:17 AM
Ah, my bad.
I was talking about the quality of pro basketball.