PDA

View Full Version : Far-reaching effects of the Zags

ZaGranny
04-12-2015, 07:55 PM
Thought this might be a fun thread for the off season.

In the last few weeks, we have had contact from several friends and family which I thought were a lot of fun.

On Saturday while we were in Houston, we saw Mr. ID's daughter, her husband and one of our grandkids. They all followed the Zags while we were playing there and cheered them on.

One of Mr. ID's HS classmates (class of 1959 Early Iowa) living in Delaware follows the Zags, cheers them on, and emails us after every game in the playoffs.

One of our friends from Nebraska follows the Zags--because it feels like he is following us, and even calls his wife in to see our Zags and see how cute Kevin Pangos is.

Mr. ID's cousin and his wife from the Denver area, emailed us this week about seeing us at a family wedding, but added "Gonzaga sure
did come close to taking it all. With Duke being the overall winner, that means that they were so close."

What makes that remarkable is none of these folks are sports followers--they just follow because they know it is important to us.

We get a lot of family and friends contacting us after games.

Please add any stories you have about friends and family following the Zags because of your interest

ZaGranny

MickMick
04-12-2015, 08:11 PM
I know a lot of disenchanted WSU Cougar fans that are closet Zag fans. Of course they can't openly talk about it around other alumni, but in private, their conversations tend to reveal more knowledge about GU than a casual fan should have.

They really do deserve a good team to root for as it seems to pain them to follow GU as closet fans. Maybe WSU can turn things around.

GrizZAG
04-12-2015, 08:29 PM
Ok, I don't play much BB anymore but I play an on line word game and am matched with people from everywhere. Quit laughing...:)

So, I am randomly paired with a lady who's handle is "WSU Mom" on this game. Thinking it must be a Washington State University mom, I asked on the chat portion if she was. Get this, she is the mother of one of the players with Wichita State that was on the team that took us out! YIKES!

So..we began a several week long BB discussion and to my surprise she knew every Zag player and pretty much their strengths, weaknesses and NBA potential. It turns out, her son likes the Zags a great deal and they both follow them closely. They love Karnowski and Pangos. She rooted like heck for the Zags through the NCAA's this year and is really a fan. I was just amazed. Nice lady. Says the Shockers have great respect for our program and don't want to match up with Sabonis.

On a side note she doesn't like UK because they refuse to play WS. Sound familiar?

ZaGranny
04-12-2015, 08:42 PM
Ok, I don't play much BB anymore but I play an on line word game and am matched with people from everywhere. Quit laughing...:)

So, I am randomly paired with a lady who's handle is "WSU Mom" on this game. Thinking it must be a Washington State University mom, I asked on the chat portion if she was. Get this, she is the mother of one of the players with Wichita State that was on the team that took us out! YIKES!

So..we began a several week long BB discussion and to my surprise she knew every Zag player and pretty much their strengths, weaknesses and NBA potential. It turns out, her son likes the Zags a great deal and they both follow them closely. They love Karnowski and Pangos. She rooted like heck for the Zags through the NCAA's this year and is really a fan. I was just amazed. Nice lady. Says the Shockers have great respect for our program and don't want to match up with Sabonis.

On a side note she doesn't like UK because they refuse to play WS. Sound familiar?

What a great story! It is amazing how our Zags even touch our opponents!

ZaGranny

RenoZag
04-12-2015, 09:11 PM
People I knew in grade school and high school have gone out of their way via social media (mostly FB) to send me notes re: Gonzaga basketball. The group of knuckleheads I graduated with from GU in 1979 regularly text each other during the games.

The Zags are a wonderful connection to have and I enjoy the interaction it brings.

Zagdawg
04-12-2015, 11:16 PM
My inlaws are missionaries in Rwanda ---I provide them new Zag gear each Christmas --they usually come back to the states once a year for medical checkups/dental work and they wear their Zag gear on the trip back and to Rwanda. They hear lots of positive comments. They keep track of the Zags via the internet during the season.

TheGonzagaFactor
04-13-2015, 06:27 AM

You mean KU?

LongIslandZagFan
04-13-2015, 06:43 AM
For the record...

KU = Kansas
UK = Kentucky

Ask someone at Kansas as to why they are KU... they have no answer... nobody is 100% how it ended up that way.

That is all.

ZagMan in Philly
04-13-2015, 10:19 AM
My boys basketball coach at their school is a big Zag Fan.
I swear he knows about our players just as well as me. We often talked about the team whenever we have a chance during the season.
He is Irish, and he likes the Zags more than the Notre Dame basketball team. I gave him a Gonzaga Basketball t-shirt, and he wore it on game day.
Living out here in the eastcoast, I noticed that more and more people are fully aware of how good the Zags are around here, and they are a name brand
when it comes to college basketball.

tlark420
04-13-2015, 11:40 AM
My boys basketball coach at their school is a big Zag Fan.
I swear he knows about our players just as well as me. We often talked about the team whenever we have a chance during the season.
He is Irish, and he likes the Zags more than the Notre Dame basketball team. I gave him a Gonzaga Basketball t-shirt, and he wore it on game day.
Living out here in the eastcoast, I noticed that more and more people are fully aware of how good the Zags are around here, and they are a name brand
when it comes to college basketball.

I live in NJ about 40 min from ZAGMan and even made it down to his house for the Zags Fla State NCAA game a few years back. Also few years back, I get a house down in Sea Isle for the summer and I was wearing my zags gear playing at the courts one day and a kid stopped me and told me he was going there next year! He was a philly kid and ended up being the lifegaurd on the same street as our house. needless to say we have kept in touch as the zags have connected us. I think he is a senior next year and little does he know I will be trying to make it to the promised land next year (Spokane) for a game. GO ZAGS!

krozman
04-13-2015, 12:55 PM
Thread title should say effect! I actually laughed, because my family knows how little things like that can press my buttons. Last year I had this picture posted on my wall.

http://i59.tinypic.com/sfv1p2.png

Jazzgirl_127
04-13-2015, 02:07 PM
It seemed like even early on, I'd see Zag fans in Pittsburgh. Surprisingly, it was easier to find a Zags T-shirt at Champ Sports in '99 than it is today (although I'm sure some of that is because it's so easy to order from the internet now they don't bother stocking them). I saw kids at my high school wearing Zag gear (even a Dickau jersey! I was so jealous).

Dogtownkid
04-15-2015, 07:40 AM
Krozman: +1. I notice them all, and it does make me cough blood.

Angelo Roncalli
04-15-2015, 09:35 AM
One of my favorite experiences was going into the Nike Store in Nurnberg, Germany a few years and finding a nice assortment of GU gear.

KStyles
04-16-2015, 10:47 PM
For the record...

KU = Kansas
UK = Kentucky

Ask someone at Kansas as to why they are KU... they have no answer... nobody is 100% how it ended up that way.

That is all.

Must be a midwestern thing, OU does the same.

Birddog
04-17-2015, 04:12 AM

Here is a good explanation.

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/ukku.html

My personal (unsubstantiated) hunch
is that it simply was easier to make songs and rhymes with KU than UK; back
then, every class, for instance, made up a class song. The newspapers ran
regular poetry. There was lots of rhyming, singing, stuff like that going on,
and for whatever reason, "good ol' K. U." (usually with periods and the space)
caught on. And in any event, once the students, faculty and alumni reached the
unofficial consensus on "Rock Chalk, Jayhawk,Go KU!" the matter was settled.
Missou, CU, NU, OU, and TU do it as well.
The bigger confusion IMO is among the 3 major OSU's. although the most presumptuous one has taken to calling themselves theOSU

drvenkman05
04-17-2015, 08:23 AM
Au contraire, mon frère. The Lawrence Journal-World regularly refers to KU as Kansas University.

For the record...

KU = Kansas
UK = Kentucky

That is all.

LongIslandZagFan
04-17-2015, 08:36 AM
Au contraire, mon frère. The Lawrence Journal-World regularly refers to KU as Kansas University.

Allow me to retort. Offiicial Logo:

https://www.ku.edu/assets/ku-template/images/logo.png

DixieZag
04-17-2015, 09:08 AM
Yeah, from as long as I can remember, the University of Kansas is known is KU. It's sister state, next door neighbor, Colorado is the same way. Walk around Boulder and asking people where "UC" is and they'll have no idea what you're talking about. It's "CU"

Incidentally, want to know what the "N" on the Nebraska helmet stands for?

"Knowledge."

sittingon50
04-17-2015, 09:31 AM
Yeah, from as long as I can remember, the University of Kansas is known is KU. It's sister state, next door neighbor, Colorado is the same way. Walk around Boulder and asking people where "UC" is and they'll have no idea what you're talking about. It's "CU"

Incidentally, want to know what the "N" on the Nebraska helmet stands for?

"Knowledge."

:lmao:

gonzagafan62
04-17-2015, 09:32 AM

Don't we call ourselves "G-U"???? bahahahaha... Why isn't Georgia, or Geronimo University GU? Nobodys as special.

LongIslandZagFan
04-17-2015, 10:34 AM
Don't we call ourselves "G-U"???? bahahahaha... Why isn't Georgia, or Geronimo University GU? Nobodys as special.

We are GU (see what I did there) because we are Gonzaga Univeristy. The University of Kansas is KU when it should be UK.

Honestly, I really don't care. I find it interesting... but they can call themselves whatever they want... don't really have an issue with it.

gonzagafan62
04-17-2015, 10:40 AM
We are GU (see what I did there) because we are Gonzaga Univeristy. The University of Kansas is KU when it should be UK.

Honestly, I really don't care. I find it interesting... but they can call themselves whatever they want... don't really have an issue with it.

Okay, now I get it. Clear. 10-4

drvenkman05
04-17-2015, 12:08 PM
Oh, LIZF, you and your official logo will do nothing to stop the mighty Lawrence Journal World. But in all seriousness, I can understand the KU for shorthand but in all my time in Lawrence, I could never understand why the town newspaper insisted on calling them "Kansas University."

Allow me to retort. Offiicial Logo:

https://www.ku.edu/assets/ku-template/images/logo.png

LongIslandZagFan
04-17-2015, 12:23 PM
Oh, LIZF, you and your official logo will do nothing to stop the mighty Lawrence Journal World. But in all seriousness, I can understand the KU for shorthand but in all my time in Lawrence, I could never understand why the town newspaper insisted on calling them "Kansas University."

LOL.

GrizZAG
04-17-2015, 01:01 PM
LOL.

Here's my take. Would you want your school to go by UK...too close to Uck! or Yech or something like that. Bad image eh?

ZagaZags
04-20-2015, 01:03 AM
Thread title should say effect! I actually laughed, because my family knows how little things like that can press my buttons. Last year I had this picture posted on my wall.

http://i59.tinypic.com/sfv1p2.png

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110204165558/uncyclopedia/images/a/ab/GrammarPoliceLogo.jpg http://media.giphy.com/media/m9rMVyKactNK/giphy.gif

Good Job! http://gifs.gifbin.com/g600107907.gif