PDA

View Full Version : Tweet from Karno re: His Future

thegloriousgoateeofKP
04-11-2015, 11:35 AM
https://twitter.com/PKarnowski/status/586966295242940416

Via Google translate: "Gets more and more questions about my future , I have not made ​​the final decision. Time will tell , of course, will tell you !"

*gulp*

Marcus
04-11-2015, 11:43 AM
Interesting and scary to know. Having him tweet about it himself, he must be struggling with the decision. I hope he comes back but if he's set to graduate and is staring at lots of money overseas can't blame him.

jazzdelmar
04-11-2015, 11:45 AM
Of the three bigs, he is the one we would miss the least. That's a relative statement as it would be great to have him back.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
04-11-2015, 11:48 AM
Of the three bigs, he is the one we would miss the least. That's a relative statement as it would be great to have him back.

True. But it would take us from Final Four contenders to "let's pray we make the Sweet 16."

I've heard around here he can graduate this summer if he takes some summer school.

DixieZag
04-11-2015, 11:49 AM
Weird, I thought this was settled.

I agree with Jazz, but no question we need him back if we want to be top 10

billyberu
04-11-2015, 11:51 AM
I disagree. He's proven and he gives us a glimmer of hope against uber athletic teams by stuffing the paint. Although I'm high on Edwards, Bonus and Wiltjer you just can't dismiss what Karnowski contributes so easily.

seacatfan
04-11-2015, 11:56 AM
I disagree. He's proven and he gives us a glimmer of hope against uber athletic teams by stuffing the paint. Although I'm high on Edwards, Bonus and Wiltjer you just can't dismiss what Karnowski contributes so easily.

Totally agree with you. The offense runs through him in the low post in a way neither Sabonis or Wiltjer have shown the slightest inclination of approximating. Also his interior defensive presence is head and shoulders above the other two. Haven't seen enough of Edwards to know if he can do some of the things Karno does.

Mantua
04-11-2015, 11:57 AM
I wonder if the idea of his housemate Pangos leaving is weighing on him. Kevin and Gary seemed to have a talent for bolstering spirits, but PK still has Rem. I hope the younger guys will make an effort to rally around him and the team identity.

CDC84
04-11-2015, 11:58 AM
Last time I checked, he's not listed on either the 2015 or 2016 mock lists at draftexpress.com.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
04-11-2015, 12:00 PM
Last time I checked, he's not listed on either the 2015 or 2016 mock lists at draftexpress.com.

He could make a good chunk of change in Europe and improve his draft stock every bit as much over there as he could in one more college season in the WCC.

seacatfan
04-11-2015, 12:01 PM

Isn't it playing professionally in Europe what he is weighing as an option? That was my understanding.

gonzagafan62
04-11-2015, 12:03 PM
Karnowski always plays huge in big game for us. He is one of te three we would miss the least but this takes us from top ten down to like 20 ... We need karnowski

jazzdelmar
04-11-2015, 12:07 PM

I was far from dismissive of him. Ok, which of the three would you least miss if he left?

CDC84
04-11-2015, 12:07 PM
Isn't it playing professionally in Europe what he is weighing as an option? That was my understanding.

It would be interesting to find out how close he is to graduating with a degree from Gonzaga. That could also be a factor in the decision making process.

Zagdawg
04-11-2015, 12:18 PM
Need our starting center back -- doesn't make sense to say we don't need him and will use a forward to fill in at the center spot (out of the 3 we would miss him the least--doesn't make much basketball sense).

MickMick
04-11-2015, 12:40 PM
If he remains, he will play well for GU. If he leaves, GU will play well without him.

The best programs in the nation successfully deal with player turnover with regularity. GU is one of those programs.

You open up roster spots and those open spots go a long way toward influencing the decisions of potential recruits.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
04-11-2015, 12:41 PM
If he remains, he will play well for GU. If he leaves, GU will play well without him.

The best programs in the nation successfully deal with player turnover with regularity. GU is one of those programs.

You open up roster spots and those open spots go a long way toward influencing the decisions of potential recruits.

A-freakin-men. Well said. Comforting.

scott257
04-11-2015, 12:49 PM
He is my favorite. I think he has improved each year and have to believe this year would not be any different. I would really love to see him play as a senior.

CdAZagFan
04-11-2015, 02:14 PM
I think he'd leave a "huge" hole to be filled... The offense ran through him. I'm anxious to see Ryan's development, but if Shem's not back I agree with Goatee in that it would drop us down a level.

gonzagafan62
04-11-2015, 02:19 PM
Is there a timetable that he has to make his decision by???

MTZag03
04-11-2015, 02:22 PM
I'm behind Shem no matter what he does. He's easily one of my favorite players of all time. I just like the guy. I also think he would be sorely missed. Remember him against Arizona in the round of 32 last year?

HenneZag
04-11-2015, 02:32 PM
Shem will make a good decision, no matter what he decides I won't be dissapointed. With that said, I believe he still has some to improve on, and next year could be very valuable for his draft stock. I don't think he has hit his ceiling just quite yet. He has the ability to take another step forward next year and i hope he decides to come back.

Would be such a fun front court to watch next season if he returns, we would have the depth as well as the luxury to mix up some lineups, especially with Edwards coming on board.

gonzagafan62
04-11-2015, 02:38 PM
I'm behind Shem no matter what he does. He's easily one of my favorite players of all time. I just like the guy. I also think he would be sorely missed. Remember him against Arizona in the round of 32 last year?

As Seahawks fan would say.... Beast mode. He played really well against Arizona this year too

DixieZag
04-11-2015, 03:22 PM
I just gotta believe he'll be back.

This is his team now. He's the senior, he's the one who will be introduced last in the starting line-up with the Kennel club patting the floor. he and Wiltjer need to come in and lead all these uber-talented younger guys.

He'll take ownership of it - his team. That's how it has to be framed to him.

AzZag
04-11-2015, 03:36 PM
Is there a timetable that he has to make his decision by???

April 26th

gonzagafan62
04-11-2015, 03:39 PM
April 26th

Appreciated

BBzag
04-11-2015, 03:42 PM
April 26th

That's for the NBA - he's looking at Europe, right?

GoZags
04-11-2015, 03:49 PM
That's for the NBA - he's looking at Europe, right?

This is a fan message board. To my knowledge, there isn't a single board member in Shem's inner circle. It is known that he has had an opportunity to play as a pro in Europe since before he arrived at Gonzaga. As far as any NBA aspirations I know of nobody who knows. Perhaps some of the staff have an idea but I sure don't

All I know is that I wish him well. He is a great Zag and I am hoping he comes back for his senior year.

Vanzagger
04-11-2015, 03:52 PM
Edwards is ready. Shem is a 1st rounder this year if he decides.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
04-11-2015, 04:01 PM
Edwards is ready. Shem is a 1st rounder this year if he decides.

No, he is very clearly not, according to every single draft website.

BBzag
04-11-2015, 04:10 PM
This is a fan message board. To my knowledge, there isn't a single board member in Shem's inner circle. It is known that he has had an opportunity to play as a pro in Europe since before he arrived at Gonzaga. As far as any NBA aspirations I know of nobody who knows. Perhaps some of the staff have an idea but I sure don't

All I know is that I wish him well. He is a great Zag and I am hoping he comes back for his senior year.

Fair enough, let me rephrase - April 26th would be the deadline for declaring for the NBA draft, but he still could decide to go pro overseas after that. Based on his tweet, he's considering something.

webspinnre
04-11-2015, 04:15 PM
I'd be sorry to see him go if he went, but regardless, hope he makes whatever the best decision is for him.

DixieZag
04-11-2015, 05:08 PM
This is sort of coming out of left field, at least for me. I thought he was settled into leading the team as a senior.

I really hope he still does, he was coming on so strong at the end of the year, especially in the tourney.

zagfan1
04-11-2015, 06:17 PM
That wouldn't be a smart decision to go to the NBA now. Poor free throw shooting and the need to be a better defender in the paint should be enough inspiration to extend his GU career.

bartruff1
04-11-2015, 06:30 PM
I would not assume that any European wants to play in the NBA...some do....some don't...

It would not surprise me a bit if Sabonis decides to play in Europe and doesn't return to Gonzaga. Malaga is a beautiful place to live.

Zags11
04-11-2015, 07:51 PM
4th best defensive center in league.

hooter73
04-11-2015, 09:55 PM
Karno is in that precarious position of "advanced" age - even though centers are known to need more time - so he needs to have another season of solid dominating numbers. Euro money will always be there, just depends on what he wants to shoot for.

Zagceo
04-11-2015, 10:01 PM
IMO the fact Przem is making this public says to me he will stay in Europe and be close to his family. His way of breaking the news

Oregonzagnut
04-11-2015, 10:58 PM
Going overseas is something that is at least a guarantee barring some catastrophic event. He isn't projected as a 2nd rd pick and IMO, he hasn't lost the weight needed to improve his vertical leap, his burst speed, and his overall stamina that is needed to make NBA GM's and coaches excited. Plus, if McClellan, Dranginis, Perkins and Melson can handle the pressure, then we will be primed for another deep run and another 30 win season.

Why in the world would Karnowski want to go overseas this year when he can still go next year and the odds of ever getting into the NBA after not getting drafted are low. IMO, he still has upside if he can get down to 265 lbs and show that he can consistently go strong to the rim. Meaning he needs to jump 3-4 inches higher.

raise the zag
04-12-2015, 05:58 AM
On the cusp of 'breaking through'...he can be dominant. Move up to a Top-20 draft pick. This year he's a 2nd Rounder at best.

As the case in past seasons, he's received lucrative offers overseas.

Unlike Sabonis, he has a family to think about, yet dint thi k it's NBA whispering in his ear, rather his home country.

IF Karno can play as he did February & March for an entire season, he could be 1st Rounder next season & a career back-up, change of pace, defensive center in the League.

If he goes this yr, I'd he afraid he never reachea that potential...also, oversea contracts are hardly guaranteed in most cases.

Stick around big fella, it will pay dividends. Show them you can dominate when you want to...

Martin Centre Mad Man
04-12-2015, 06:18 AM
Any chance that he would take a late career redshirt to work on his physical conditioning for a year with Coach Knight? I agree that his best shot at the NBA is if he slims down and improves his quickness.

jazzdelmar
04-12-2015, 06:27 AM
The NBA is off the table. Europe beckons and for some reason it has become attractive to him. Perhaps family circumstances or just a sense of having done all his can do with players/friends who are departing.

Rangerzag
04-12-2015, 07:08 AM
The NBA is off the table. ...........

QFT

DixieZag
04-12-2015, 07:17 AM
The NBA is off the table. Europe beckons and for some reason it has become attractive to him. Perhaps family circumstances or just a sense of having done all his can do with players/friends who are departing.

Right now, definitely.

But he came on so strong late. IF he could lose a lot of weight to get down a little below where he came in to the season this last year, and had an entire season of growth like last year - he'd have to be strongly considered in the late first early second.

I think the weight thing matters a lot. If one remembers, early in the year he was dunking the ball, a lot. He really ballooned up over the year, and still played well.

Outraged
04-12-2015, 07:41 AM
On the cusp of 'breaking through'...he can be dominant. Move up to a Top-20 draft pick. This year he's a 2nd Rounder at best.

As the case in past seasons, he's received lucrative offers overseas.

Unlike Sabonis, he has a family to think about, yet dint thi k it's NBA whispering in his ear, rather his home country.

IF Karno can play as he did February & March for an entire season, he could be 1st Rounder next season & a career back-up, change of pace, defensive center in the League.

If he goes this yr, I'd he afraid he never reachea that potential...also, oversea contracts are hardly guaranteed in most cases.

Stick around big fella, it will pay dividends. Show them you can dominate when you want to...

Lets face it if he comes back its the best front court in the country and he will be the best true center in the country. Sure their will be doubters but the players are a proud group they dont need to speak to prove anything. They know who they are and what they can do. If he comes back I just want to see him throw 1 three pointer a game. If he comes back the only thing missing is a name for this front court and it will need this name in the future so we can reference the group that make it up more readily. It will be remembered in ESPN flashbacks for years. It will be that good and it will need a Brand worth of this proud group.

Reborn
04-12-2015, 09:23 AM
I really like Mt K alot. More then Coach K, and he can be the center at Gonzaga University who is remembered forever. Years from now we could all be walking the corridor of the Kennel and see a drawing of him on the walls. I disagree with Jazz about how good he is. I believe he really made a name for himself in the NCAA Tournament this year. He is a GREAT passer, and has improved in that area every year. And he can be a force on the offensive end of the court.

I believe he will be back because I think he loves Gonzaga. His passion for the game, and for GU, grew every week. I know he is one guy who wanted to make it to the Final Four really bad. He played well against Duke, but it was not his best game of the year by far, and I think that that will eat at him. And he will return to make it to the Final Four next year. Wiltjer will have the same motivation. In the end, with the support of his family and friends, he will return to finish what he started 3 years ago. Love is a remarkable thing. We love you Mr. Karnowski.

Mantua
04-12-2015, 01:36 PM

This seems right.

I wish he would stay. Does anyone think that he has a shot a the NBA next year or if that even matters to him? Would he be truly happy staying in the U.S.? Life here may just not feel meaningful to him.

john montana
04-12-2015, 02:10 PM
Come back PK!

Zag 77
04-12-2015, 03:28 PM
Now wait a minute. When the coming of Karnowski was heralded just a few years ago, there was some comment that he wanted to play in the NBA someday and GU was attractive because it had gotten some guys into the NBA. Was that just so much fluff from the GU Public Relations Department for the media types?:confused:

And if he were homesick or looking to play in the Polish version of the NBA, I would think he would have left by now.

bartruff1
04-12-2015, 03:34 PM

I believe you are right on all counts.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
04-12-2015, 03:56 PM
Is it possible that success for Gonzaga...making a Final Four, etc...means more to us fans than to players? Don't get me wrong, obviously all the guys wanted badly to win. But at the end of the day, for the caliber of players we are now recruiting, playing college basketball is an ends to a mean, you know? A way to improve and prepare for Europe or (in the rare cases), the NBA.

zagfan24
04-12-2015, 05:38 PM
Is it possible that success for Gonzaga...making a Final Four, etc...means more to us fans than to players? Don't get me wrong, obviously all the guys wanted badly to win. But at the end of the day, for the caliber of players we are now recruiting, playing college basketball is an ends to a mean, you know? A way to improve and prepare for Europe or (in the rare cases), the NBA.

It doesn't have to be one or the other. I think team success at GU means plenty to the players, but you are right in that many GU players are talented enough to have higher aspirations....and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I can't fault anybody for wanting to try their game at the next level, whether the lure be the NBA, the fame, the money, being closer to home for our foreign players, or any combination of the those factors. The reality is that we are far more critical of athletes taking these opportunities than we are of people in any other industry.

Przemek Karnowski has been a fantastic player for GU. I don't really think he is a guy that is going to slim down and add a ton of quickness and agility...I think at this point his game is what it is; strengths including a great touch around the basket, excellent passing, strong interior defense, and a generally high basketball IQ. His vertical athleticism and free throw shooting are his major limitations, but certainly won't preclude him from having a long, successful pro career somewhere. I hope he ends up spending one more year in Spokane, but he'll be a lifetime Zag no matter what.

willandi
04-12-2015, 06:10 PM
Isn't Karno too tall to play in the NBA?

hooter73
04-12-2015, 09:08 PM
Isn't Karno too tall to play in the NBA?

:clap:

Psychozag
04-13-2015, 07:52 AM
Saw him Friday afternoon at the Wandering Table with his girlfriend. They are obviously close. I assume she is a GU student, and depending on what year she is, that could be a major factor in his decision.

jake
04-13-2015, 11:00 AM
Saw him Friday afternoon at the Wandering Table with his girlfriend. They are obviously close. I assume she is a GU student, and depending on what year she is, that could be a major factor in his decision.

This is her fourth year at GU and I wouldn't be surprised if she is graduating this year.

nish_mode
04-13-2015, 11:28 AM
This is her fourth year at GU and I wouldn't be surprised if she is graduating this year.

She's a redshirt junior on the track team per the GU website. I'm guessing one more year?

basketballzag
04-13-2015, 02:22 PM
I would be stunned if Karno didn't return for his Senior year. I believe he will be playing for the Zags next season.

GoZags
04-13-2015, 05:36 PM
I would be stunned if Karno didn't return for his Senior year. I believe he will be playing for the Zags next season.

Moi aussi ...

jchocolate99
04-14-2015, 10:04 AM
Saw this on Slipper not sure if its been posted here... seems positive that Karno will stay

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2015/4/11/8386933/przemek-karnowski-stays-with-gonzaga-according-to-polish-press-and

Zag_Dad
04-14-2015, 10:10 AM
Saw this on Slipper not sure if its been posted here... seems positive that Karno will stay

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2015/4/11/8386933/przemek-karnowski-stays-with-gonzaga-according-to-polish-press-and

Thanks for posting this link... Google translate makes the story hard to decipher. It sounds like his father is about as vague as Shem is on his future. Hope he stays but wish him the best in whatever his decision is.

zagfan24
04-14-2015, 10:11 AM

according to google translate:

Polish national basketball Przemek Karnowski rather not report for this year's draft picks to the NBA. - From what I know, the son wants to be a year in the league NCAA - PAP said his father, Boniface Karnowski.

Middle Gonzaga Bulldogs, who contributed to the success of the team and the historic promotion to the top eight prestigious academic competitions, may join the NBA draft picks, find out whether this league clubs who are interested.

- I suggested him to take advantage of NCAA rules and take it to the NBA draft picks to possibly until April 12 to give up without losing the right to return to the university. Przemek chose a different path. It's his decision and it's not a bug - Karnowski noted senior, who was the coach's son in Katherine Torun at the beginning of his career.

21-year-old Pole, classified in 23rd place among the thousands of players league university in terms of efficacy throws with the game (61.5 percent), surely arouse interest in the NBA clubs, no matter when you decide to leave school. With 214 cm tall center, due to their physical condition is a unique player, because every year solid players on this growth coming out of the NCAA only a few.

Boniface Karnowski mentioned that influence the decision was also the son of the situation in the team Bulldogs. With the team after graduation, although three of basketball left circumference - Kevin Pangos, Gary Bell Jr. and Byron Wesley - but confirmed that they are wing Kyle Wiltjer and Domantas Sabonis. Also change the team game system. These two and the Polish center will exist next to each other on the court, which was not the principle of last season. Of Torun can therefore count on more
May 10 academic year ends at Gonzaga University in Spokane. Five days later, the Polish Karnowski arrives for three weeks to the next five to return to the United States. As in previous years there will be attended summer school classes. He also received an invitation to the camp LeBron James, who missed it last year. Arrive at the leading measure of academic leagues.

- Summer school is a lot of individual workouts. In addition, Przemek will be at the event ranked among the items that are in the next year of study. As a result, if all goes well, the scientific case would end in December - not counting the final exam that must be passed in May - and he could devote himself more basketball - player's father said.

The second part of the holiday was already beginning in July, the national team training camp before the European Championships in France.

- From a sporting point of view, any solution - to join the NBA draft picks now or wait with this - it would be good. While the latter has the advantage that Przemek calmly finished college - Boniface Karnowski concluded.

Birddog
04-14-2015, 10:14 AM
That certainly clears things up.

strikenowhere
04-14-2015, 10:15 AM
according to google translate:

Polish national basketball Przemek Karnowski rather not report for this year's draft picks to the NBA. - From what I know, the son wants to be a year in the league NCAA - PAP said his father, Boniface Karnowski.

Middle Gonzaga Bulldogs, who contributed to the success of the team and the historic promotion to the top eight prestigious academic competitions, may join the NBA draft picks, find out whether this league clubs who are interested.

- I suggested him to take advantage of NCAA rules and take it to the NBA draft picks to possibly until April 12 to give up without losing the right to return to the university. Przemek chose a different path. It's his decision and it's not a bug - Karnowski noted senior, who was the coach's son in Katherine Torun at the beginning of his career.

21-year-old Pole, classified in 23rd place among the thousands of players league university in terms of efficacy throws with the game (61.5 percent), surely arouse interest in the NBA clubs, no matter when you decide to leave school. With 214 cm tall center, due to their physical condition is a unique player, because every year solid players on this growth coming out of the NCAA only a few.

Boniface Karnowski mentioned that influence the decision was also the son of the situation in the team Bulldogs. With the team after graduation, although three of basketball left circumference - Kevin Pangos, Gary Bell Jr. and Byron Wesley - but confirmed that they are wing Kyle Wiltjer and Domantas Sabonis. Also change the team game system. These two and the Polish center will exist next to each other on the court, which was not the principle of last season. Of Torun can therefore count on more
May 10 academic year ends at Gonzaga University in Spokane. Five days later, the Polish Karnowski arrives for three weeks to the next five to return to the United States. As in previous years there will be attended summer school classes. He also received an invitation to the camp LeBron James, who missed it last year. Arrive at the leading measure of academic leagues.

- Summer school is a lot of individual workouts. In addition, Przemek will be at the event ranked among the items that are in the next year of study. As a result, if all goes well, the scientific case would end in December - not counting the final exam that must be passed in May - and he could devote himself more basketball - player's father said.

The second part of the holiday was already beginning in July, the national team training camp before the European Championships in France.

- From a sporting point of view, any solution - to join the NBA draft picks now or wait with this - it would be good. While the latter has the advantage that Przemek calmly finished college - Boniface Karnowski concluded.

Is this just speculation by the Polish site, or is this a bit of confirmation that they might try to slide Wiltjer to the 3 at times next year?

MTZag03
04-14-2015, 11:55 AM
Is this just speculation by the Polish site, or is this a bit of confirmation that they might try to slide Wiltjer to the 3 at times next year?

Sounds speculative to me!

webspinnre
04-14-2015, 12:06 PM
A better guess might be that's how they refer to forwards, as opposed to centers, as Sabonis also appears to be listed in said manner.

ZAGLAWQB
04-14-2015, 05:29 PM
Hard to understand how fleeting the time goes if you are a player. As a fan I value the ups and downs of a competitive season. The program is now bigger than the changing components and yet offers so much year in and out to the player and the fan. As the coach points to the journey, everyone can soak it all in and truly enjoy each month of the year. One thing never to take for granted is the caliber of character and athleticism that staff and players exude as they focus on their daily goals. This integral part of Gonzaga brings thousands of smiles and gives the masses a chance to partake in the experience. Thank you to all past and present who have built this program...treat it with respect and patience and it will add to the future experience of staff, players, students, and Zag fans. How fortunate we are.......