PDA

View Full Version : Some Scheduling Info

Angelo Roncalli
04-11-2015, 08:08 AM
Arizona at GU: Saturday December 5th

UCLA at GU: Saturday December 12th

WCC conference play will begin this year before Christmas. GU's first three games will be at home (without the students), on December 21, 23 and 28th. I don't know who the first twp league games will be against, I'm fairly sure the game on the 28th will be against travel partner Portland.

Reborn
04-11-2015, 08:11 AM
I can hardly wait for these two games. It's just so amazing to now be able to get teams like these to come in and play Gonzaga in K2.

seacatfan
04-11-2015, 10:37 AM
WCC conference play will begin this year before Christmas. GU's first three games will be at home (without the students), on December 21, 23 and 28th. I don't know who the first twp league games will be against, I'm fairly sure the game on the 28th will be against travel partner Portland.

3 conference games with no students around? The WCC has done similar to GU before. So lame. Better not be BYU or SMC.

gonzagafan62
04-11-2015, 10:45 AM
3 conference games with no students around? The WCC has done similar to GU before. So lame. Better not be BYU or SMC.

WCC is super lame. erg....

Zagdawg
04-11-2015, 10:47 AM
Bring SMC--they will be pretty down this year.

Rangerzag
04-11-2015, 11:03 AM

Those are just the games in December. There will be more in January prior to the second semester start on the twelveth.

http://www.gonzaga.edu/About/Academic-Calendar/Academic-Calendar-2015-2016.asp

seacatfan
04-11-2015, 12:37 PM
Those are just the games in December. There will be more in January prior to the second semester start on the twelveth.

http://www.gonzaga.edu/About/Academic-Calendar/Academic-Calendar-2015-2016.asp

So 3 in December, maybe a couple more in January. Around half of the conference home games without student section? Ridiculous.

GonzaGAW
04-11-2015, 02:55 PM
- first I gotta agree, that to have Arizona and ucla come to our home court is really amazing.
- like a #1 seed, another elite 8, this speaks to how far and established our teams program has become.

- as to the conference games while students are on break. I'm going to go against the grain on this one
- first the same disadvantage if that is what many like to call it, happens often enough to other schools in the conference
- second, really people what is our win loss percentage for conference games at home over the last 10 years? gosh its got to be like 95% and i'll bet all of $1 buck none were while students were on Christmas break
- three, call me what you will, I'm glad as it gives die hard bulldog club members like me a chance to see a few games a year.

CDC84
04-11-2015, 03:04 PM
I was hoping that the Arizona or UCLA game would take place during league play since GU/Memphis won't be playing next season.....however, it just seems since conference expansion that we are seeing less and less teams play non-league games during January/February.

DixieZag
04-11-2015, 03:09 PM
- first I gotta agree, that to have Arizona and ucla come to our home court is really amazing.
- like a #1 seed, another elite 8, this speaks to how far and established our teams program has become.

- as to the conference games while students are on break. I'm going to go against the grain on this one
- first the same disadvantage if that is what many like to call it, happens often enough to other schools in the conference
- second, really people what is our win loss percentage for conference games at home over the last 10 years? gosh its got to be like 95% and i'll bet all of $1 buck none were while students were on Christmas break
- three, call me what you will, I'm glad as it gives die hard bulldog club members like me a chance to see a few games a year.

Does anyone know what is driving the scheduling back yet another week? Is it opening up more lag time during the conference season? More chances to play OOC during the league season? Or is the season just set up "earlier" this year with an earlier tourney?

As for GU and games with students away. Obviously with a schedule that begins now in mid-late December, there will be a number of games without students for all schools. The trouble is when they start bunching up front loaded home dates during those days. The KClub is worth 5 pts a game, at least, IMO, over having the Bulldog club. If for some reason there are now 5 home games front loaded, well, that would be quite typical. Other teams draw huge when we visit no matter when we visit, so one wonders....

But, even more than that, if it is front loaded so that 4 out of the first conference games are played without the students every single year, that is patently unfair to our students, many of whom come to Gonzaga in no small part b/c of the basketball experience. Our students went 3 years without seeing SMC b/c of the scheduling "quirks."

I say quirks b/c there is nothing accidental about how the schedules play out. If one refuses to believe that the WCC isn't doing something to attempt to raise the league by dragging us back a little, then one can at least blame TV or something else to do with money. Regardless, the end result (if ours is frontloaded, again), is unfair to our students, and through them, our team - many of our players come for the atmosphere the students bring.

gonzagafan62
04-11-2015, 03:31 PM
I was hoping that the Arizona or UCLA game would take place during league play since GU/Memphis won't be playing next season.....however, it just seems since conference expansion that we are seeing less and less teams play non-league games during January/February.

I'm hoping another dangerous A10 or AAC team comes and helps both of us out. Seein temple or Davidson would be just as good or better next year. There's probably a few teams that still might want to.

sylean
04-11-2015, 04:07 PM
the girls play their games with scanty support from students and they seem to do well anyway.....

KStyles
04-11-2015, 04:10 PM

Portland State off of the top of my head.

Zagdawg
04-11-2015, 05:24 PM
Girls average 5K attendees per game--more than any other WCC mens program --other than BYU.

Hoopaholic
04-11-2015, 07:38 PM
My disappointment rests with the opin I n this is college athletics.meant and designed to be played in front if your fellow students and wcc continues to.ignore that

KStyles
04-11-2015, 08:01 PM
My disappointment rests with the opin I n this is college athletics.meant and designed to be played in front if your fellow students and wcc continues to.ignore that

Disappointing, yes, but what would you suggest they do? As I see it, with an 18 game conference slate they either do as they're doing now and start during winter break (which varies by school) or give the schools a few weeks off and jam 3 games a week into the later Jan/Feb/Mar schedule.

willandi
04-11-2015, 08:15 PM
Disappointing, yes, but what would you suggest they do? As I see it, with an 18 game conference slate they either do as they're doing now and start during winter break (which varies by school) or give the schools a few weeks off and jam 3 games a week into the later Jan/Feb/Mar schedule.

One thing they could do is break them up. Play the Portland game away, and have the home game with Portland later in the season. Then it would just be 2 games. I didn't look at the extended games into January, so it may not really matter, just answering the 'what could they do' question.

KStyles
04-11-2015, 08:27 PM
One thing they could do is break them up. Play the Portland game away, and have the home game with Portland later in the season. Then it would just be 2 games. I didn't look at the extended games into January, so it may not really matter, just answering the 'what could they do' question.

The conference doesn't necessarily have GU's best interests at heart (they have to account for 10 schools, and it's not like Portland wants a home game over break either).

The Portland games are usually broken up....Memphis has fallen in the 'travel partner' weekend in February quite a few times.

Angelo Roncalli
04-11-2015, 09:29 PM
There are three main reasons for the timing of the conference schedule:

1. Conference expansion. Having a 10 team league lengthens the conference season.
2. The "no four games at home/on the road" rule. Two seasons ago, the first year of having a 10 team league, Gonzaga began the conference season with 4 games at home (Portland had 5). This led to the conference adopting a scheduling rule that teams will not play more than 3 consecutive conference games at home/on the road.
3. The date of the WCC championship. ESPN dictates that the WCC play its championship game on Tuesday of championship week. This means that the WCC loses a weekend compared to many other conferences.

ZagaZags
04-12-2015, 03:13 AM
This would leave 6 OOC games to be scheduled for 2015.

Secret Scrimmage: Tennessee - Just a guess.

1. N/A *
2. N/A *
3. @ SMU *
4. N/A *
5. Battle 4 Atlantis November 25, 2015. (Syracuse, UCONN, Michigan, Texas, Washington, Texas A&M and Charlotte.)
6. Battle 4 Atlantis November 26, 2015. (Syracuse, UCONN, Michigan, Texas, Washington, Texas A&M and Charlotte.)
7. Battle 4 Atlantis November 27, 2015. (Syracuse, UCONN, Michigan, Texas, Washington, Texas A&M and Charlotte.)
8. N/A *
9. Arizona at GU: Saturday December 5, 2015.
10. @ WSU *
11. UCLA at GU: Saturday December 12, 2015.
12. Battle in Seattle N/A *
13. WCC @ GU: December 21, 2015.
14. WCC @ GU: December 23, 2015.
15. WCC @ GU: December 28, 2015.
16. WCC/OOC (New Year's Eve?) *
17. WCC
18. WCC
19. WCC
20. WCC
21. WCC
22. WCC
23. WCC/OOC *
24. WCC
25. WCC
26. WCC
27. WCC
28. WCC
29. WCC
30. WCC
31.WCC

* Is just a guess on order.

GoZags
04-12-2015, 06:38 AM
The other option (not palatable imho but done in other conferences) is to go to an unbalanced conference schedule. This would mean NOT playing each WCC school home and home ... And play some twice, some once.

If that would give all home games in front of the students I'd still not want to do this concept.

DixieZag
04-12-2015, 07:21 AM
There are three main reasons for the timing of the conference schedule:

1. Conference expansion. Having a 10 team league lengthens the conference season.
2. The "no four games at home/on the road" rule. Two seasons ago, the first year of having a 10 team league, Gonzaga began the conference season with 4 games at home (Portland had 5). This led to the conference adopting a scheduling rule that teams will not play more than 3 consecutive conference games at home/on the road.
3. The date of the WCC championship. ESPN dictates that the WCC play its championship game on Tuesday of championship week. This means that the WCC loses a weekend compared to many other conferences.

Number 2 pretty well takes care of my concerns.

I'll still predict that we'll have BYU, and either Pepp/SMC at home before the students return.

jake
04-12-2015, 11:28 AM
I am guessing we are not the only school with a similar schedule. Every year some teams will have more front-loaded home schedules and others will have more rear-loaded schedules. That's impossible to avoid with travel partners. The idea that there is some conspiracy against GU is, to me, ridiculous. You have 18 games to schedule, travel partners, and only so much time to schedule the games. The WCC should always be looking for ways to improve the scheduling, but no school is going to get an ideal schedule when you're trying to schedule games for 10 teams. It's give and take for all.

TheGonzagaFactor
04-14-2015, 07:22 AM
Portland State off of the top of my head.

Portland State is not in the WCC. GonzaGAW was talking about conference games. The Kennel was empty for that PSU game anyway because of a snowstorm IIRC.

TheGonzagaFactor
04-14-2015, 07:23 AM

Back it all up a week and have the WCC final a week later...

LongIslandZagFan
04-14-2015, 07:43 AM
Back it all up a week and have the WCC final a week later...

Umm... good luck selling that the ESPN. They like the WCC right where they have them.

gonzagafan62
04-14-2015, 08:29 AM
Umm... good luck selling that the ESPN. They like the WCC right where they have them.

Good luck trying to get the wcc to move too LIZF. I think the WCC likes where they are too. Extra week of press has seemed to help teams like BYU and Gonzaga as well

Kalvinmj34
04-14-2015, 08:59 AM
Am I right that we have 4 Pac-12 teams (Zona, UCLA, Wash and WSU) on the schedule next season?

gonzagafan62
04-14-2015, 09:00 AM
Am I right that we have 4 Pac-12 teams (Zona, UCLA, Wash and WSU) on the schedule next season?

Washington is certainly a possibility for next year, but not set in stone at this time. I would think though since we are in the Bahamas and there is lots of rivalry possibilities that it's definitely not out of the realm of reason that this matchup would happen. It's possible.

Kalvinmj34
04-14-2015, 09:09 AM
The other 3 are scheduled though?

gonzagafan62
04-14-2015, 09:11 AM
The other 3 are scheduled though?

Yes.

December 5 Arizona
December 12 UCLA

Washington State @ Pullman date to be named later.

gonzagacfen
04-14-2015, 09:37 AM
Nov 13 vs Pitt in Japan

Zag_Dad
04-14-2015, 09:56 AM
Yes.

December 5 Arizona
December 12 UCLA

Washington State @ Pullman date to be named later.

I think the WSU game is in the Kennel next year? Wasn't the game at Spokane arena a "home" game for WSU this year?

sittingon50
04-14-2015, 11:03 AM
I think the WSU game is in the Kennel next year? Wasn't the game at Spokane arena a "home" game for WSU this year?

Nope. GU controlled. WSU in Pullman next.

75Zag
04-14-2015, 01:01 PM
No intent to hijack thread, but sort of related to scheduling - if there are any "elite" level Bulldog Club members who do not plan to purchase their tickets for the Bahamas event, I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to take over your position. I am not very interested in the hotel air package thing, just the tickets. I will express my thanks in cash, GU @ UP tickets, or perhaps something better.

Please PM me if you have interest or information so as to not further pollute this thread.

Go Bulldogs!

ZagaZags
04-14-2015, 03:38 PM
Nov 13 vs Pitt in Japan

This would leave 5 OOC games to be scheduled for 2015.

Secret Scrimmage: Tennessee - Just a guess.

1. N/A *
2. GU vs Pitt in Japan, Nov 13 *
3. @ SMU *
4. N/A *
5. Battle 4 Atlantis November 25, 2015. (Syracuse, UCONN, Michigan, Texas, Washington, Texas A&M and Charlotte.)
6. Battle 4 Atlantis November 26, 2015. (Syracuse, UCONN, Michigan, Texas, Washington, Texas A&M and Charlotte.)
7. Battle 4 Atlantis November 27, 2015. (Syracuse, UCONN, Michigan, Texas, Washington, Texas A&M and Charlotte.)
8. N/A *
10. @ WSU *
12. Battle in Seattle N/A *
15. WCC @ GU: December 28, 2015. (Portland.)
17. WCC
18. WCC
19. WCC
20. WCC
21. WCC
22. WCC
23. WCC/OOC *
24. WCC
25. WCC
26. WCC
27. WCC
28. WCC
29. WCC
30. WCC
31.WCC

KStyles
04-16-2015, 10:23 PM
Portland State is not in the WCC. GonzaGAW was talking about conference games. The Kennel was empty for that PSU game anyway because of a snowstorm IIRC.

You're right, I missed the conference part.

Yes, it was the day it snowed a few feet in Spokane.

KStyles
04-16-2015, 10:29 PM
This would leave 5 OOC games to be scheduled for 2015.

One of the 5 should be against one of the other 7 teams in the Battle 4 Atlantis within 14 days of the tournament. Otherwise, it'll just be a 30 game schedule (27 + tourney).

ZagaZags
04-16-2015, 11:17 PM
One of the 5 should be against one of the other 7 teams in the Battle 4 Atlantis within 14 days of the tournament. Otherwise, it'll just be a 30 game schedule (27 + tourney).

I was thinking the same. I checked out last year's B4A tournament participants and Wisconsin played 31 regular season games. Wisconsin played Boise State before taking off for the B4A.

KStyles
04-16-2015, 11:20 PM
I was thinking the same. I checked out last year's B4A tournament participants and Wisconsin played 31 regular season games. Wisconsin played Boise State before taking off for the B4A.

http://i.imgur.com/wWYuSRk.gif

Like GU had the Maui game against Oakland a year ago, or the Old Spice WVU game 2 years ago.

gonzagafan62
04-17-2015, 04:45 AM
http://i.imgur.com/wWYuSRk.gif

Like GU had the Maui game against Oakland a year ago, or the Old Spice WVU game 2 years ago.

Or how the preseason NIT had st Thomas aquinas and St joes last year

DixieZag
04-17-2015, 06:26 AM
Do we think that the BIS will return to its rightful stature, or are we getting more and more used to the fact that it will only draw mid-level teams?

gonzagafan62
04-17-2015, 06:33 AM
Do we think that the BIS will return to its rightful stature, or are we getting more and more used to the fact that it will only draw mid-level teams?

Always hope, but with the schedule stacked, and nobody wanting to come to our end, I think its another mid level team. But are Cal Poly and South Alabama mid level? Is that mid level? Either way its disappointing. I am starting to give up on it Dix. I really am.

TravelinZag
04-17-2015, 07:27 AM
If we can't do any better with BIS opponents, perhaps further amend the WSU-GU series to a four way rotation: home & home, Spokane arena, Seattle Key. Gives both teams a west-side appearance every four years. Or (perhaps) play the game in Seattle every year. West of the mountain fans/recruits get a chance to see both teams.

TheGonzagaFactor
04-17-2015, 07:33 AM
If we can't do any better with BIS opponents, perhaps further amend the WSU-GU series to a four way rotation: home & home, Spokane arena, Seattle Key. Gives both teams a west-side appearance every four years. Or (perhaps) play the game in Seattle every year. West of the mountain fans/recruits get a chance to see both teams.

I've never been open to taking Zags-Wazzu away from fans in the 509. Makes no sense.

TheGonzagaFactor
04-17-2015, 07:40 AM
Washington is certainly a possibility for next year, but not set in stone at this time. I would think though since we are in the Bahamas and there is lots of rivalry possibilities that it's definitely not out of the realm of reason that this matchup would happen. It's possible.

The Battle 4 Atlantis just needs to go with all the rivalries it can in the opening round

Zags-Washington
Texas-Texas A&M
UConn-Cuse
Michigan-Charlotte

As far as first rounds of early season tournaments go, it doesn't get more interesting than that.

TheGonzagaFactor
04-17-2015, 07:45 AM

Doesn't need to be one of the other 7 teams, does it? Don't those tourneys always have on-campus games that are part of the tournament, but don't play into the actual bracket? WVU seemed like a rare case a couple years ago as we had already scheduled them for a home-and-home and we happened to accept bids to the same tournament...

DixieZag
04-17-2015, 08:26 AM
Always hope, but with the schedule stacked, and nobody wanting to come to our end, I think its another mid level team. But are Cal Poly and South Alabama mid level? Is that mid level? Either way its disappointing. I am starting to give up on it Dix. I really am.

I don't know the people (sources) that some here do. But, what I've heard, through people on this board, is that there was some horrible sheer luck that caused very good match-ups to crash the last couple of years. I believe I heard that one year was the year after the conference readjustments and the schedules had to be re-done, and another year the promoter passed away, or fell through, or something.

So, I don't think the schedule the last couple of years reflects any lack of commitment by the A.D. The problem, as I see it, is whether it is even possible nowadays to schedule a "name" team at that place, at that time of year.

gozagswoohoo
04-17-2015, 12:35 PM
I wish Gonzaga would start catering a bit more to us Missourians. Do they think I have a teleporation device or something?!?!? How the heck am I posta make it to a game if they only come within like 15 hours of me?!?!?

GOLLYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!

TexasZagFan
04-17-2015, 12:57 PM
I wish Gonzaga would start catering a bit more to us Missourians. Do they think I have a teleporation device or something?!?!? How the heck am I posta make it to a game if they only come within like 15 hours of me?!?!?

GOLLYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!

Perhaps I'll see you at the SMU game. It's less than 600 miles, piece of cake.

Over the past two years, we've been to Stillwater, Memphis, Wichita, and Houston. 1-3 for those games, painful for such long drives.

GoZags
04-17-2015, 03:41 PM

The BiS future is bright. The best estimates now are 3 out of 5 will be Marquee opponents and the other 2 S Alabama-esque (top 100). The goal is 100'percent big time BiS opponents but the reality is that won't happen. Look for a Pac 12 "upper tier" school to be in the BiS soon (perhaps very soon).

ZagaZags
04-17-2015, 04:04 PM
The BiS future is bright. The best estimates now are 3 out of 5 will be Marquee opponents and the other 2 S Alabama-esque (top 100). The goal is 100'percent big time BiS opponents but the reality is that won't happen. Look for a Pac 12 "upper tier" school to be in the BiS soon (perhaps very soon).

Stanford, Utah, Oregon or Oregon State would be my guess. It won't be UW, Arizona, UCLA or WSU.

USC, ASU and Colorado stink.

California might be pretty good next season.

GU could possibly play 5 Pac-12 teams next season.

ZagsGoZags
04-18-2015, 05:07 AM
No intent to hijack thread, but sort of related to scheduling - if there are any "elite" level Bulldog Club members who do not plan to purchase their tickets for the Bahamas event, I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to take over your position. I am not very interested in the hotel air package thing, just the tickets. I will express my thanks in cash, GU @ UP tickets, or perhaps something better.

Please PM me if you have interest or information so as to not further pollute this thread.

Go Bulldogs!
not pollution at all, just zags helping zags
the perfect place to find a good zag audience

DixieZag
04-18-2015, 08:04 AM

Yes, and that comports with what I've read here and then previously mentioned. It hasn't been a matter of commitment or strategy, more just a couple of years strung out where the logistics just didn't work.

We're only 2 schedules away from a tough K-State team that went on to do very well in the Big 12 that year when we won the Big 12 regular season title.

willandi
04-18-2015, 08:47 AM
Stanford, Utah, Oregon or Oregon State would be my guess. It won't be UW, Arizona, UCLA or WSU.

Do you really think the PAC 12 would allow 6 of their top teams to be beat by Gonzaga, in a single OOC schedule?

ZagaZags
04-18-2015, 09:32 AM
Do you really think the PAC 12 would allow 6 of their top teams to be beat by Gonzaga, in a single OOC schedule?

I said 5, not 6. GU plays Arizona, UCLA and WSU next season. GU could play UW in B4A. If the Zags get a Pac-12 team to play in the BIS, that would make 5.

GoZags
04-18-2015, 09:33 AM

I guess I wasn't specifically asked "not" to say and we all know that nothing is in the bag until it is in the bag ... but a potential neutral/neutral/home/home would be nice with .... you see? (excuse me while I cough .... "you .... t' AH" ... cough, cough cough). There. I didn't blab. Just had a coughing spell while typing ...

DixieZag
04-18-2015, 09:42 AM
I guess I wasn't specifically asked "not" to say and we all know that nothing is in the bag until it is in the bag ... but a potential neutral/neutral/home/home would be nice with .... you see? (excuse me while I cough .... "you .... t' AH" ... cough, cough cough). There. I didn't blab. Just had a coughing spell while typing ...

That would be an excellent get.

I have oft wondered why we weren't mining good mid-level RPI games from MWC teams. I know we played Colo State a year ago, but more regular games versus New Mexico, WYO, UNLV etc would seem like a natural fit. Not necessarily for a home and home, but a one timer like Colo State.

75Zag
04-18-2015, 09:48 AM
The fun thing about past BIS events was that the opponent either traveled well (Tennessee) or had a natural connection to the Seattle area and could generate some fans. I am looking forward to the 2015-2016 season with interest and excitement.

Go Bulldogs!

ZagaZags
04-18-2015, 10:41 AM

That would be awesome for Jesse Wade & family.

KStyles
04-19-2015, 03:03 PM
That would be awesome for Jesse Wade & family.

From what I understand (and I could be wrong), he'll be serving his mission at that point. His family should be able to attend though.

ZagaZags
04-19-2015, 03:20 PM
From what I understand (and I could be wrong), he'll be serving his mission at that point. His family should be able to attend though.

I was thinking GoZags was suggesting the possibility of a 4 year series with a home/home plus neutral/neutral.

GU did this with Illinois 5-7 years ago.

KStyles
04-19-2015, 03:23 PM
I was thinking GoZags was suggesting the possibility of a 4 year series with a home/home plus neutral/neutral.

GU did this with Illinois 5-7 years ago.

That'd be a pretty good series. BIS, Delta Center, home and home?

ZagaZags
04-19-2015, 04:58 PM
That'd be a pretty good series. BIS, Delta Center, home and home?

If that happens, it would be good for Jesse Wade & family.

ZagaZags
04-29-2015, 04:14 PM
This would leave 4-5 OOC games to be scheduled for 2015.

Secret Scrimmage: ?

1. N/A *
2. GU vs Pitt in Japan, Nov 13 *
3. @ SMU *
4. N/A *
8. N/A *
10. @ WSU *
12. Battle in Seattle (Maybe Tennessee?) Per Angelo.
15. WCC @ GU: December 28, 2015. (Portland.)
17. WCC
18. WCC
19. WCC
20. WCC
21. WCC
22. WCC
23. WCC/OOC *
24. WCC
25. WCC
26. WCC
27. WCC
28. WCC
29. WCC
30. WCC
31.WCC

Need some cupcakes now.

DixieZag
04-29-2015, 04:20 PM
ONe thing that I find kind of cool, the schools listed in that Bahamas Tourney - Michigan, Texas , Washington, UCONN, Syrancuse, Tex A&M, all some of the public school powers in both Basketball, athletics generally, and academics, especially those first 3. And yet, here we are. I think we stand up on every level, Basketball, athletics generally (more and more) and academics.