PDA

View Full Version : Stockton back with Kings

VinnyZag
04-10-2015, 09:27 PM
I know this will get moved to Old Dogs, but ... sounds like David Stockton is getting a MULTI-YEAR DEAL with the Kings:

Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine
David Stockton, @nbadleague triple-double machine, on his way back to NBA. Story going up now: Kings signing Young Stock to multi-year deal

SteelZag
04-10-2015, 10:02 PM
Way to go David!

sittingon50
04-10-2015, 10:21 PM
:clap:

MickMick
04-10-2015, 10:31 PM
You really got to check out this link below. He is blowing some NBA minds right now.

https://youtu.be/uRZCQmprVdA

Mantua
04-10-2015, 10:47 PM
I'm so happy for David! That took a lot of discipline and hard work. Impressive! He deserves the recognition.

I fully realize that John Stockton will get well deserved credit, but David's success is great advertising for the program too.

I like the timing.

KStyles
04-10-2015, 10:50 PM
Story Marc Stein mentioned (not many details yet, probably will update later tonight/tomorrow):

The Sacramento Kings are planning to re-sign guard David Stockton before the end of their season to a multiyear deal, according to league sources.

Sources told ESPN.com that Stockton, son of Hall of Fame guard John Stockton, will soon rejoin the Kings after playing out a 10-day contract with Sacramento last month.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12666879/sacramento-kings-plan-re-sign-guard-david-stockton

zagbeliever
04-10-2015, 10:58 PM
Really, really happy for him. Also happy he is proving the haters wrong. ��

Zagdawg
04-10-2015, 11:03 PM
Great job for David --the hard work and dedication can pay off. Another Zag in the association.

ZagsGoZags
04-11-2015, 02:56 AM
Gee, how could it be any better than to this hard working young man. I don't know of many players who are better at maximizing their gifts, and developing their BB mind through focus and practice. So impressed. Go get 'em David.

kitzbuel
04-11-2015, 04:00 AM
The only reason he is getting into the NBA is because his dad played there...

:cool:

bartruff1
04-11-2015, 04:41 AM
He has certainly made fools of some of the would be experts in here....couldn't happen to a nicer young man.

MTZag03
04-11-2015, 06:21 AM
The only reason he is getting into the NBA is because his dad played there...

:cool:

Lol!

DixieZag
04-11-2015, 06:27 AM
You really got to check out this link below. He is blowing some NBA minds right now.

https://youtu.be/uRZCQmprVdA

People here will likely take this wrong - somehow.

He has worked so hard that in that video, he looks like an entirely different player than last year. He is noticeably stronger physically in terms of his ball control and drives to the hoop, he is shooting 40% from NBA 3 (NBA!) when he got nowhere close to that from college, and it appears its due to being much stronger, able to get the ball there with better form. And, he's using that strength to vary his speed, hesitating and bursting.

As Mick Mick said, people must watch the video to have any idea how much he has improved.

willandi
04-11-2015, 07:04 AM
He's too short! Those triple doubles are against inferior NBA players! It will never last! It's just because of his Dad!

Can I take my tongue out of my cheek now?

Averaging over 20/game, just under 40% from NBA 3 line, over 80% FT rate, avg 9.4 assists/game....and thsoe stats are for the season. After his 10 day, he went back and kicked some butt!

kclubfounder
04-11-2015, 07:08 AM
OK, so he's good enough to get a multi-year NBA in 2015. Does that mean those who thought he didn't belong on the court with Gonzaga in 2014 were wrong? Of course not!

ZionZag
04-11-2015, 07:20 AM
Interesting......When David left Zagville, I asked one of top execs with the JAZZ, what's next for David? His answer was that David would really excel once he left his Father's shadow in Spokane....

hooter73
04-11-2015, 07:30 AM
Holy crap! That is just incredible, good for him!

I think it was Dikau who said his game developed more in the first month of the NBA than in all his years in college. Even knowing that, the strides that Stocks has made are just incredible although if there was ever a GU player to not be surprised by hard work equaling success, it would probably be him.

hooter73
04-11-2015, 07:36 AM
Interesting......When David left Zagville, I asked one of top execs with the JAZZ, what's next for David? His answer was that David would really excel once he left his Father's shadow in Spokane....

Thats actually surprising to me. I dont think he ever lived under it himself, everyone else just wanted him to... which is maybe what the exec meant.

ZionZag
04-11-2015, 08:00 AM
I thought it an interesting comment and also caught me by surprise, so I did not ask him what he meant. Shadow or not.....I think your comment is probably correct

Thats actually surprising to me. I dont think he ever lived under it himself, everyone else just wanted him to... which is maybe what the exec meant.

CdAZagFan
04-11-2015, 08:08 AM
Great to see... Hope he does well on the next level.

Ekrub
04-11-2015, 09:13 AM
Players can improve over time. Just because he is tearing up the D league now doesn't necessarily mean that our three guard combo of him pangos and bell was ideal. He didn't shoot at those rates at gonzaga. If he did, there really wouldn't have been a debate. Happy for him regardless. Very cool seeing him take his game to the next level.

Accidentally reported a post with that, sorry mods.

zag buddy
04-11-2015, 09:20 AM
To all those David Stockton haters who posted volumns about his short comings and lack of skills needed to be a college player over the years, I hope you will reevaluate your basketball thought processes to be more in line will actual basketball knowledge. Of course maybe he got all those triple doubles because of his dads fame. Way to go David.

GUDan07
04-11-2015, 10:14 AM
If you would have told me that David Stockton would land an NBA contract a year or two ago, I would have told you you were nuts. I am pleasantly surprised and frankly shocked by the numbers he is putting up and his bright prospects. Super happy for David and for GU to have another kid make it to the league.

But lets not kid ourselves, this is not the same player that played at Gonzaga. He was a hustle, scrappy player that played hard and scored opportunistically. He shot 23% from 3 as a senior. TWENTY THREE PERCENT. There is absolutely no way anyone saw this coming. With that said, I am pleasantly surprised and hope he keeps it up!

zag buddy
04-11-2015, 10:21 AM
GUDan07, I think a lot of our players are demanded by coach Few to play in a certain way and style, thereby not developing certain aspects of their basketball skill set. Think David Pendergraf or Mike Hart etc. As far as David's three point shooting percentage he actually shot very few three pointers as a guard and many of his shots were forced with no time on the clock.

Zagceo
04-11-2015, 10:28 AM
Holy crap! That is just incredible, good for him!

I think it was Dikau who said his game developed more in the first month of the NBA than in all his years in college. Even knowing that, the strides that Stocks has made are just incredible although if there was ever a GU player to not be surprised by hard work equaling success, it would probably be him.

What message does this send to current or future players?

Marcus
04-11-2015, 10:35 AM

Late bloomer???

We have more recent examples of players developing a ton while here. He did improve while at GU, just not an astronomical amount that this seems to be. At any rate, the more Zags in the NBA the better message it sends to potential recruits.

Rangerzag
04-11-2015, 10:58 AM
The biggest gripe I Have about self appointed critic/experts on this board are when they declare a player will never be able to achieve something.

One in particular is all the selling players short because of their height. I haven't seen anything about David growing since he left GU. That is the most obvious point where critics were wrong.

Likelihood may be one thing, but to sell a player short and say it never will happen has been proven wrong once more.

Huge congrats to David!

Mantua
04-11-2015, 11:02 AM

It sends a message to our coaches to let the players play.

David obviously has great passion for the game and we have a team of kids who are equally driven. Their intensity and competitive spirits need to be valued and encouraged. At the end of the Duke game I felt like our guys were reigned in while Krzyzewski turned his kids loose.

Marcus
04-11-2015, 11:06 AM
I forgot to add my congrats to David. This is just an awesome achievement.

B Wayne
04-11-2015, 11:11 AM
He has certainly made fools of some of the would be experts in here....couldn't happen to a nicer young man.

It was even worse with his Dad. Very few Zag fans, and almost no one in Spokane had a clue how good John was when he was a Zag. That's why I've been so bemused with many posters on this board underrating David. Most fans/posters aren't observant and don't look past features like dunking, jumping or impressive 3 point shooting in evaluating basketball play.

GrizZAG
04-11-2015, 11:34 AM
When a Zag he was a work in progress and it is coming together now. I always felt he gave 100% effort and was a tough kid with no fear. He is so quick and has great court vision. I am not surprised really, he is a driven dude that doesn't take no for an answer.
Congrats to a young man that never gives up! Keep it going David, I'm a believer.

hooter73
04-11-2015, 11:51 AM

All it says to me is how different the NBA is than college.

DixieZag
04-11-2015, 12:02 PM
It was even worse with his Dad. Very few Zag fans, and almost no one in Spokane had a clue how good John was when he was a Zag. That's why I've been so bemused with many posters on this board underrating David. Most fans/posters aren't observant and don't look past features like dunking, jumping or impressive 3 point shooting in evaluating basketball play.

I don't think that was it, at all.

He never shot the ball from the outside well. It allowed teams to sag off on him. I think a lot of the shooting trouble, both FT and 3pt was due to lack of strength, not lack of effort in any way.

He had another years growth with nothing on his plate except working as hard as possible on his game and he is now shooting 40% from NBA 3! That opens the whole floor up and makes him far more effective.

He's so mentally tough. Has there ever been a kid who was a walk-on at college, likely not able to get a scholarship at any D-1 school, who then goes on to start for a top 20 team, then goes undrafted but then works himself into an NBA contract? Thousands of guys with more physical gifts pissed them away while this guy has surprised and gotten better at each and every step.

A whole lot to learn from that

Dogtownkid
04-11-2015, 12:37 PM
Good for him!

ZagNative
04-11-2015, 02:58 PM
Deal apparently not guaranteed for 2015-2016 (http://nbcbayarea.csnbayarea.com/kings/source-stockton-deal-kings-not-guaranteed-2015-16):

The Kings will sign point guard David Stockton for the final three games of the season as Sim Bhullar’s 10-day contract expires at midnight, CSN California has learned.

This will be Stockton’s second stint in Sacramento this season. Bhullar was the first NBA player of Indian descent to play in the NBA, appearing in three games and scoring two points.

The news of Stockton’s signing was first reported by ESPN as a multi-year deal, but CSN California is learning that there is no guarantee for next season.

Over Stockton’s initial 10-day contract with the Kings back in February, the point guard appeared in only one game -- 7 minutes in a 126-101 Sacramento loss to the Clippers at Staples Center on Feb. 21 -- yet the Gonzaga product added depth at the point guard position.

Stockton, son of former Jazz point guard John Stockton, was averaging 20.1 points and 9.4 assists per night in 43 games this season for the Reno Bighorns, Sacramento’s NBA D-League affiliate.

The 5-foot-11 guard was not selected in the 2014 NBA Draft.

The Kings (27-52) three-game road trip concludes Sunday in Denver before wrapping up the season against the Lakers in home-and-home fashion, Monday at Sleep Train Arena and then a Wednesday rematch at Staples Center.

webspinnre
04-11-2015, 03:18 PM
Bummer, but still, he's had an amazing season, and good to see him back for the last couple of games.

kclubfounder
04-11-2015, 04:13 PM

B Wayne, in '84 there was NO internet, social media, etc... The "fact" that we didn't know how good John was is very disputable. We didn't know his incredible talent and his unreal skills would necessarily translate to the NBA. In fact, most of us didn't think his incredible talent and unreal skills would translate to the NBA. But that doesn't mean we had no clue how good John was when he was a Zag. Anyone who was a Zag in '84, and understood basketball at all, was a big time believer that John Stockton was fantastic.

Martin Centre Mad Man
04-11-2015, 05:12 PM
I am really happy for him and utterly amazed that he has already played more NBA minutes than Matt Santangelo, Casey Calvary, J.P. Batista, and Blake Stepp combined.

B Wayne
04-12-2015, 07:19 PM
B Wayne, in '84 there was NO internet, social media, etc... The "fact" that we didn't know how good John was is very disputable. We didn't know his incredible talent and his unreal skills would necessarily translate to the NBA. In fact, most of us didn't think his incredible talent and unreal skills would translate to the NBA. But that doesn't mean we had no clue how good John was when he was a Zag. Anyone who was a Zag in '84, and understood basketball at all, was a big time believer that John Stockton was fantastic.

I completely disagree.

Yes, there was no "internet, social media" (I don't know what the etc is) but there was TV radio, newspapers and magazines and he was not getting significantly less coverage than other local athletes by Washington media. They completely missed the boat. As far as fans, very few Spokane and Gonzaga people showed up to watch him play. I could usually show up 5 minutes before tip off and get a front row seat to watch a future HOFer because he had no strong following in Spokane. That's a fact. But the NBA and the Jazz knew better, drafting him in the first round

I told numerous local people and Gonzaga students to watch this great point guard at Gonzaga named John Stockton. He was amazing to watch. Most just scoffed at me. Those that did go to watch reported back he was just an average college point guard and that there were many in college who were better. I was blessed to be able to watch all his home games. . That's why it's been amusing to see the same thing for David, but as I said, to a much lesser degree than his father.

B Wayne
04-12-2015, 07:22 PM
I don't think that was it, at all.

He never shot the ball from the outside well. It allowed teams to sag off on him. I think a lot of the shooting trouble, both FT and 3pt was due to lack of strength, not lack of effort in any way.

He had another years growth with nothing on his plate except working as hard as possible on his game and he is now shooting 40% from NBA 3! That opens the whole floor up and makes him far more effective.

He's so mentally tough. Has there ever been a kid who was a walk-on at college, likely not able to get a scholarship at any D-1 school, who then goes on to start for a top 20 team, then goes undrafted but then works himself into an NBA contract? Thousands of guys with more physical gifts pissed them away while this guy has surprised and gotten better at each and every step.

A whole lot to learn from that

You make many good points. But for all those weaknesses you point out, many posters here on this board significantly undervalued him as a player.

ZaGranny
04-12-2015, 08:00 PM
Don't know how to embed video, but maybe someone who does can go to this tweet and get it for us:

Rem Bakamus retweeted
Sacramento Kings ‏@SacramentoKings 4h4 hours ago
#KingsReplay: @DStockton32 finds @BenMcLemore with the alley-oop!
https://amp.twimg.com/v/790e71e3-7a1f-445a-81f1-0e8a464a7ee9 …
Sacramento Kings

ZaGranny

webspinnre
04-12-2015, 08:43 PM
Just tried, probably have to download and toss it on Youtube or something. Thanks for sharing.

Zags11
04-14-2015, 07:00 AM
To all those David Stockton haters who posted volumns about his short comings and lack of skills needed to be a college player over the years, I hope you will reevaluate your basketball thought processes to be more in line will actual basketball knowledge. Of course maybe he got all those triple doubles because of his dads fame. Way to go David.

NBA practice sure helps. Playing every day. He shot up during his senior year. Thats when imo he turned the corner.

ZaGranny
04-15-2015, 09:23 PM
David was in for 19:23 He had scored 5, had 7 assists, 2 steals and 1 foul, 2 To's.

ZaGranny

Zagdawg
04-15-2015, 10:10 PM
Tweet backing up the post above---impressive.

Scott Schroeder ‏@ScottSchroeder 15m15 minutes ago
Nice. @dstockton32 +15 with seven assists, two steals and a nice and-one finish (AND a 3!). Way to finish out the season!

webspinnre
04-16-2015, 07:15 AM
David was in for 19:23 He had scored 5, had 7 assists, 2 steals and 1 foul, 2 To's.

ZaGranny

Very impressive. Would love to see him earn a backup spot.

webspinnre
04-17-2015, 12:09 PM
Stockton highlight video:

https://www.facebook.com/sacramentokings/videos/10153298645199026/

kitzbuel
04-17-2015, 03:32 PM
If he keeps feeding the big guys like that, they are gonna make the Kings keep him.

Birddog
04-17-2015, 04:10 PM
The comments under the highlight video are pretty good. I esp like one about his shorts.

ZagNative
08-17-2015, 03:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=45&v=xBbmro8Vrxo

Martin Centre Mad Man
09-28-2015, 05:18 PM
I am a little slow, but did our former walk-on make it onto the roster of the same team that cut Jimmer?

Zaglaw
09-29-2015, 05:42 AM
Yes, with a salary of $845,000 according to ESPN. Hard work, court smarts and commitment pay off.

northsidezagfan
09-29-2015, 07:32 AM
Yes, with a salary of $845,000 according to ESPN. Hard work, court smarts and commitment pay off.

Not exactly. His contract is not guaranteed and he needs to make the roster during training camp.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/sacramento-kings/david-stockton/

LongIslandZagFan
09-29-2015, 08:38 AM
Not exactly. His contract is not guaranteed and he needs to make the roster during training camp.

Because why not discount the fact that he has a contract at all... right?

sittingon50
09-29-2015, 11:04 AM
Because why not discount the fact that he has a contract at all... right?

Don't think northside was discounting anything, LI. Just pointing out a distinction.

LongIslandZagFan
09-29-2015, 12:28 PM
Don't think northside was discounting anything, LI. Just pointing out a distinction.

Hope you are right... not 100% I think that is the reality... hope I am wrong.

Zaglaw
09-30-2015, 05:50 AM

Thanks for the clarification.

northsidezagfan
10-01-2015, 09:35 AM
Hope you are right... not 100% I think that is the reality... hope I am wrong.

Just answering a question someone asked. Still a tremendous accomplishment, and truly hope for best for him this fall. Glad you assumed the worst though.