PDA

View Full Version : Sabonis has a real shot at making it into Lithuania's Men's National Team

Pages : [1] 2

Jstock12
04-10-2015, 02:28 AM
Lithuania's U19 team hasn't qualified to World Championships that are going to be held this summer. Also, our main PF (Motiejunas, Rockets) injured his back and just had a surgery. It's really unfortunate, but it might have opened doors for Sabonis to actually make it into the men's team and compete in the EuroBasket 2015 since most of our best power forwards are either old (Lavrinovic brothers, 35) or aren't playing very well at the moment (Kleiza).

I'm not sure if this is interesting to any of you, I just wanted to let you know that you might get a sneak peek into what Gonzaga's frontcourt will look like next season with Sabonis representing Lithuania and Shem playing for Poland.

Even if Domas doesn't make the cut to play in the EuroBasket, he should still be invited to the preparation camp (almost a sure thing IMO) and play in some exhibition games during the summer that should be streamed online.

DixieZag
04-10-2015, 03:07 AM
Lithuania's U19 team hasn't qualified to World Championships that are going to be held this summer. Also, our main PF (Motiejunas, Rockets) injured his back and just had a surgery. It's really unfortunate, but it might have opened doors for Sabonis to actually make it into the men's team and compete in the EuroBasket 2015 since most of our best power forwards are either old (Lavrinovic brothers, 35) or aren't playing very well at the moment (Kleiza).

I'm not sure if this is interesting to any of you, I just wanted to let you know that you might get a sneak peek into what Gonzaga's frontcourt will look like next season with Sabonis representing Lithuania and Shem playing for Poland.

Even if Domas doesn't make the cut to play in the EuroBasket, he should still be invited to the preparation camp (almost a sure thing IMO) and play in some exhibition games during the summer that should be streamed online.

I am sure I speak for many people in saying that this is highly interesting and appreciated stuff to know.

These things are fun to track through summers and is one of the unique joys of having so many international players. Thanks, and definitely keep us posted.

stevet75
04-10-2015, 06:28 AM
thanks, I find this interesting also.

gonzagafan62
04-10-2015, 07:05 AM
Yes very interesting. Love learning about our players.

GonzagasaurusFlex
04-10-2015, 08:19 AM
Thanks for posting Jstock12

Happy to hear Sabonis is likely to gain some experience this summer whether that be from trying out for the Lithuanian team or earning a spot and playing in EuroBasket 2015. It will be very cool to see how Shem does for Poland too...I think it's a great opportunity for him to showcase his talents.

Also a great opportunity for the program. Hopefully both Shem and Sabonis will continue being great ambassadors for Gonzaga and help Coach Lloyd with some recruiting :clap:

kitzbuel
04-10-2015, 08:42 AM
We need to figure out a way to have Domas, Shem, and Ryan spend a couple of weeks in Lithuania at the 'Arvydas Sabonis Big Man's Camp'

Zag 77
04-10-2015, 09:02 AM
Lithuania is a small country of 2.9 million people. How many world-class big men can they possibly have? I would think that population stats alone would suggest Sabonis would have to be a pretty darned good chance to be on the National Team.

Mojo13
04-10-2015, 11:37 AM
I didnt think Sabonis was thuggish enough to play for Lithuania.
He is really going to need to sharpen up his elbows if he is going to make that team.

Jstock12
04-10-2015, 12:04 PM
Lithuania is a small country of 2.9 million people. How many world-class big men can they possibly have? I would think that population stats alone would suggest Sabonis would have to be a pretty darned good chance to be on the National Team.

We still have some servicable bigs at the PF position, so it's not going to be easy for Domas, but he has a legit shot in case coach wants to give him some experience.

Some possible competition for Domas:
Donatas Motiejunas (injured, likely to miss EuroBasket)
Linas Kleiza
Paulius Jankunas
Ksystof Lavrinovic / Darjus Lavrinovic
Arturas Gudaitis

So, if Motiejunas is out, that leaves only 5 guys ahead of Domas. Both Lavrinovic brothers are pretty old (35) so if they both are eliminated that leaves Kleiza (30), Jankunas (30) and Gudaitis (21). Kleiza refused to play last year so he might skip the national team once again this year...

I guess you could say a lot should go Domas' way in order for him to make the team, but I think it's definitely possible, especially if he does well both in the camp and exhibition games.

hondo
04-10-2015, 12:36 PM

Exactly! If they have 10 guys of that age in that country who are better than Domas, Tommy better buy a condo over there.

Jstock12
04-10-2015, 12:53 PM
Exactly! If they have 10 guys of that age in that country who are better than Domas, Tommy better buy a condo over there.

We don't, but we're not talking about his age group, we're talking about the MEN'S team ;)

DixieZag
04-10-2015, 01:46 PM
We don't, but we're not talking about his age group, we're talking about the MEN'S team ;)

Well, it sounds like a fascinating place and one with serious basketball programs, must be good coaches there. Please keep us up to date. And, of course, if there's a 6'7 muscled 16 year old flying above rims....

Jstock12
04-10-2015, 02:03 PM
Well, it sounds like a fascinating place and one with serious basketball programs, must be good coaches there. Please keep us up to date. And, of course, if there's a 6'7 muscled 16 year old flying above rims....

Thanks! Lithuania's future frontcourt of Valanciunas/Motiejunas/Gudaitis/Sabonis is super intriguing. Unfortunately, Lithuania's programs can't seem to produce any high-level guards... :)

Mojo13
04-10-2015, 02:40 PM
Thanks! Lithuania's future frontcourt of Valanciunas/Motiejunas/Gudaitis/Sabonis is super intriguing. Unfortunately, Lithuania's programs can't seem to produce any high-level guards... :)

You insult the legendary names Marčiulionis and Jasikevičius with such a comment!

stretch
04-10-2015, 04:08 PM
Lithuanian coaches have no patience with young inexperienced players. Jonas Valanciunas gets a foul and he is banished to the bench for long stretches at a time even though he has developed into a productive national team player when he is allowed to stay on the floor.

Jstock12
04-10-2015, 04:08 PM
You insult the legendary names Marčiulionis and Jasikevičius with such a comment!

Well, Marciulionis and Jasikevicius were both high-level guards, but they're both retired. My comments are directed more towards the current state of our basketball :) We have NBA caliber prospects at SF/PF/C, but nothing close at PG/SG positions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUT4d0svyVw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuAOhZlvov0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzuWV0w4LmQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf_FTE-4CIM

Jstock12
05-05-2015, 04:31 AM
Some news regarding two of Domas' opponents - one of them just finished his career in the national team (K Lavrinovic) and the other one has big doubts about representing Lithuania in this upcoming championship (L Kleiza). That cuts down the list of PF candidates to Motiejunas (currently rehabilitating an injury), Paulius Jankunas, and then two PF/C tweeners in D Lavrinovic and A Gudaitis. The second Lavrinovic brother can very well follow his brother's path, and Motiejunas is a big question. Suddenly, Domas has a really substantial shot at making the men's national team.

ZagNative
05-05-2015, 05:44 AM
Domantas is on the 25-man preliminary roster for the Lithuanian team, per this piece from talkbasket.net (http://www.talkbasket.net/15085-kazlauskas-names-extended-roster-for-lithuania.html) published today. It'll be fun to follow him if he makes the squad.

zag buddy
05-05-2015, 10:52 AM
Do you think that at home Domas has to go through the same BS thinking that David Stockton did?

eastsideballer
05-05-2015, 09:18 PM
Since my son plays in Lithuania I keep tabs on the league. Today, Eurobasket announced the national team and below is the roster.

Deividas Gailius 200-F-88 Neptunas

Martynas Gecevicius 193-G-88 Lietuvos rytas

Rokas Giedraitis 198-SF-92 Siauliai

Mindaugas Girdziunas 188-G-89 Neptunas

Arturas Gudaitis 208-C-93 Zalgiris

Zygimantas Janavicius 192-G-89 Lietuvos rytas

Paulius Jankunas 205-PF-84 Zalgiris

Robertas Javtokas 211-C-80 Zalgiris

Adas Juskevicius 194-SG-89 Lietuvos rytas

Mantas Kalnietis 195-PG-86 Lokomotiv

Vaidas Kariniauskas 197-PG-93 Zalgiris

Linas Kleiza 203-PF-85 EA7 Armani

Antanas Kavaliauskas 208-C-84 Lietuvos rytas

Mindaugas Kuzminskas 205-F-89 Unicaja

Darjus Lavrinovic 212-C-79 Grissin Bon RE

Lukas Lekavicius 180-PG-94 Zalgiris

Jonas Maciulis 198-F/G-85 Real Madrid

Arturas Milaknis 195-G-86 Zalgiris

Donatas Motiejunas 213-F/C-90 Houston R.

Gediminas Orelikas 199-G/F-90 Lietuvos rytas

Martynas Pocius 196-SG-86 Galatasaray

Domantas Sabonis 209-F/C-96 Gonzaga

Renaldas Seibutis 196-SG-85 Darussafaka

Edgaras Ulanovas 197-G-92 Zalgiris

Jonas Valanciunas 213-C-92 Toronto R.

Jstock12
05-06-2015, 07:26 AM
I'd like to fix my first post.

While what I said about the U19 national team was true, it seems that Domas is going to represent another youth team - Lithuanian U20 team and will play among 19-year-olds and 20-year-olds in the European U20 championship in Italy. The tournament should end by the time Lithuanian men's team will play their first preparation game against Australia, so Domas should come in to the men's team in top shape after playing a big role for the U20 team. As coach Kazlauskas said in the interview, he will probably rest most of his best players as well as older players for that game and will give more minutes to the young guys. So it will probably be the game that Gonzaga hardcore fans should mark in their calendars. We'll probably be able to witness Domas go head-to-head against a guy like Aron Baynes (San Antonio Spurs).

Jstock12
05-06-2015, 07:28 AM
Since my son plays in Lithuania I keep tabs on the league. Today, Eurobasket announced the national team and below is the roster.

Any chance you could share your son's name? He might be playing for my hometown team :D

eastsideballer
05-06-2015, 08:47 AM
Any chance you could share your son's name? He might be playing for my hometown team :D

Ryan Nicholas, he plays for Dzukija in Alytus. They are playing right now vs Neptunis

ZagNative
05-06-2015, 08:59 AM
Thank you so much, jstock13, for your posts here. I'm getting really excited for summer international basketball for guys like Sabonis, Karnowski, and our Canadian alums. Here is the schedule page for Lithuania in the U20. (http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_KNce8jInH7Qj1EsyH5rjn2.pageID_-Xj0RcMzHvA4usSXbjcln1.compID_UIfgjyQcGqk-fPlnl66Tj0.season_2015.roundID_11585.teamID_2135.h tml).

Wed, Jul 8, 12:00 AM Turkey
Thu, Jul 9, 12:00 AM Slovenia
Fri, Jul 10, 12:00 AM Germany
Sat, Jul 11, 12:00 AM Great Britain

FIBA U20 Web Page (http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_KNce8jInH7Qj1EsyH5rjn2.compID_UIfgjyQcGqk-fPlnl66Tj0.coid_9FCeATvhJz6z3FmvlvYxV3.html)

I'd like to fix my first post.

While what I said about the U19 national team was true, it seems that Domas is going to represent another youth team - Lithuanian U20 team and will play among 19-year-olds and 20-year-olds in the European U20 championship in Italy. The tournament should end by the time Lithuanian men's team will play their first preparation game against Australia, so Domas should come in to the men's team in top shape after playing a big role for the U20 team. As coach Kazlauskas said in the interview, he will probably rest most of his best players as well as older players for that game and will give more minutes to the young guys. So it will probably be the game that Gonzaga hardcore fans should mark in their calendars. We'll probably be able to witness Domas go head-to-head against a guy like Aron Baynes (San Antonio Spurs).

Zag 77
05-06-2015, 09:00 AM
Oh yes, I remember you in the stands at Ryan's games at G-Prep. Priceless.

Ryan is a good kid and he had a good career at UP. Hope he has a good experience in Europe.

sittingon50
05-06-2015, 09:51 AM
Ryan Nicholas, he plays for Dzukija in Alytus. They are playing right now vs Neptunis

Great kid, eastside.

ZagNative
05-06-2015, 10:26 AM
I've got the following games for the Lithuanian Senior Men's team calendared:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-f4ncLuIpLeI/VUpdbRof23I/AAAAAAACew8/ENJK0kyHlkg/s554/2015-0-06%2520Domantas%2520Sabonis%2520Sr%2520Men%2520Sch edule.jpg

hooter73
05-06-2015, 10:56 AM
Surprised the ever important thought of staying here to develop vs going to possibly play a little with the national team hasnt come up yet.

:)

Angelo Roncalli
05-06-2015, 12:51 PM
Surprised the ever important thought of staying here to develop vs going to possibly play a little with the national team hasnt come up yet.

That post will be followed by the obligatory "he should redshirt" post.

Zagdawg
05-06-2015, 01:09 PM
If his development slows a bit- we may get an a bonus year. ;)

Jstock12
05-06-2015, 02:03 PM
Thank you so much, jstock13, for your posts here. I'm getting really excited for summer international basketball for guys like Sabonis, Karnowski, and our Canadian alums. Here is the schedule page for Lithuania in the U20. (http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_KNce8jInH7Qj1EsyH5rjn2.pageID_-Xj0RcMzHvA4usSXbjcln1.compID_UIfgjyQcGqk-fPlnl66Tj0.season_2015.roundID_11585.teamID_2135.h tml).

Wed, Jul 8, 12:00 AM Turkey
Thu, Jul 9, 12:00 AM Slovenia
Fri, Jul 10, 12:00 AM Germany
Sat, Jul 11, 12:00 AM Great Britain

FIBA U20 Web Page (http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_KNce8jInH7Qj1EsyH5rjn2.compID_UIfgjyQcGqk-fPlnl66Tj0.coid_9FCeATvhJz6z3FmvlvYxV3.html)

No problem! Thank you for your post as well. Also, the dates you've provided are the dates of official tournament games. I assume the U20 team will have quite a bit of exhibition games before that also. So I assume we'll be able to check Domas play as early as late June. Those games are usually streamed on http://www.delfi.lt/video/sporto-tv/ - a completely legal streaming site dedicated for things that aren't always showed on regular Lithuanian channels, such as senior men's, women's, youth basketball exhibition games, high-school basketball, handball, judo, horse racing, gymnastics, volleyball etc.

MTZag03
05-06-2015, 02:54 PM
No problem! Thank you for your post as well. Also, the dates you've provided are the dates of official tournament games. I assume the U20 team will have quite a bit of exhibition games before that also. So I assume we'll be able to check Domas play as early as late June. Those games are usually streamed on http://www.delfi.lt/video/sporto-tv/ - a completely legal streaming site dedicated for things that aren't always showed on regular Lithuanian channels, such as senior men's, women's, youth basketball exhibition games, high-school basketball, handball, judo, horse racing, gymnastics, volleyball etc.

Dang jstock12, I hope you stick around these boards after Sabonis moves on. You definitely provide us with info no one else does! Thanks for posting.

MDABE80
05-06-2015, 04:13 PM
Always worried about "burnout" and injuries. Tougher game in the Euros. No opinion on any other angle;)

DixieZag
05-06-2015, 04:14 PM
Dang jstock12, I hope you stick around these boards after Sabonis moves on. You definitely provide us with info no one else does! Thanks for posting.

Agree wholeheartedly.

Mojo13
05-07-2015, 08:14 AM
It is possible that Olynyk, Sacre, Pangos and Wiltjer all make the Canadian national team this summer.

I am hoping Pangos and Wiltjer all are not on the main FIBA Americas team as that means we had some better players who opted out (perhaps there is room for Pangos as a third PG). But there is also the PanAm Games this summer in Toronto. There is some expectation that we will mostly use youngers guys in the PanAms to get some FIBA seasoning and then bring in the vets for the FIBA Americas. Pangos and/or Wiltjer could likely be on the PanAm team.

Also have the U19 worlds in late June / early July. Many of the headliners for Canada are already freshmen, but there will be some guys undeclared playing up. Besides a passing interest Nolan Narain I am not too sure who would be of interest to this board . Perhaps Jermaine Hailey - but I doubt he makes the team.

Jstock12
06-03-2015, 08:35 AM

According to Lithuanian Basketball Fedaration's info, the U20 team is starting their preparation camp today. I don't know if Domas has already joined them or not. Here is the schedule:

June 3-13 First preparation camp in Kaunas (Lithuania)
June 12 First exhibition game against U20 Czech Republic
June 13 Second exhibition game against U20 Czech Republic
June 15-22 Second preparation camp in either Kaunas or Vilnius (Lithuania)
June 19 Exhibition game against Lithuania's student team
June 21 First exhibition game against U20 Latvia
June 23 Departure to an exhibition tournament in Turkey
June 24-28 Exhibition tournament in Turkey (participants: France, Germany, Greece, Russia, Serbia, Ukraine, Turkey, Lithuania)
June 29 Coming back home to Lithuania
July 1-4 Preparation camp in Vilnius (Lithuania)
July 3 Second exhibition game against U20 Latvia
July 5 Departure to U20 European Championship
July 7-19 U20 European Championship
July 20 Homecoming

jazzdelmar
06-03-2015, 09:48 AM

Love your son's game....great motor....congrats, dad.

jazzdelmar
06-03-2015, 09:50 AM
That post will be followed by the obligatory "he should redshirt" post.

None of that stuff applies to the Bonus. They are for mere mortals. :)

Jstock12
06-11-2015, 05:45 PM
Legal stream link for Domas' exhibition game tomorrow. The time is in Lithuania's timezone, so it should start around 9am in the morning in the west coast if anyone is interested.

http://www.delfi.lt/video/sporto-tv/rungtynes/lietuva-u-20-vs-cekija-u-20-draugiskos-krepsinio-rungtynes.d?id=68189646

ZagNative
06-11-2015, 08:08 PM
Thank you so much, Jstock! Any clue where we might follow live stats?

Zagceo
06-11-2015, 08:48 PM
Legal stream link for Domas' exhibition game tomorrow. The time is in Lithuania's timezone, so it should start around 9am in the morning in the west coast if anyone is interested.

http://www.delfi.lt/video/sporto-tv/rungtynes/lietuva-u-20-vs-cekija-u-20-draugiskos-krepsinio-rungtynes.d?id=68189646

Thanks Jstock

23dpg
06-12-2015, 04:21 PM
How did it go?

Jstock12
06-13-2015, 12:51 PM
Sorry guys, Domas played today. The coach was playing two different rosters in those two games to eliminate some players from the camp. Unfortunately, Domas' 18 points, 10 boards and 10 drawn fouls in 27 minutes of playing time wasn't enough to beat Czech Republic, but it's only an exhibition game though. There should be a recording of the game uploaded to that site shortly (maybe tomorrow). What's worth noting is that most of players in U20 teams are 20years old, so Domas is 1 year younger than most of the guys on either his or the opposing team, yet he's still one of the leaders.

jazzdelmar
06-13-2015, 01:06 PM
Drawn fouls stat? Interesting. Kinda sabermetric.

Jstock12
06-13-2015, 01:41 PM
Drawn fouls stat? Interesting. Kinda sabermetric.

Domas almost won that game singlehandedly. No other player on his team had more than 9 points and Lithuania shot 3 for 19 from the 3PT line collectively. The coach distributed both lineups for both of the games pretty evenly. Once the weaker players get eliminated, Lithuania should start winning more of these exhibition games.

Zagdawg
06-16-2015, 06:59 AM
Video of game --Domas is a handful 18 pts 10 boards and 10 drawn fouls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39QVhfPNkNE

Jstock12
06-18-2015, 05:42 AM
If anyone's interested, there should be a good game between Lithuanian U20 team and Lithuanian student team in a couple of hours. I believe it will be 8:50 AM in Spokane's time.

Link: http://www.delfi.lt/video/sporto-tv/rungtynes/lietuva-u-20-vs-studentu-rinktine-draugiskos-krepsinio-rungtynes.d?id=68249070

P.S. It is now clear that another two players that are direct competition to Sabonis (as far as national men's team is concerned) will miss the training camp - Motiejunas & Gudaitis. It is unfortunate for me as a Lithuanian, because I want my team to be as strong as possible, but it makes Domas' chances of making the team (even if it's a 10-15mpg bench role) that much more likely. His competition has now slimmed down to: Jankunas (31), Kleiza (30). Granted, the head coach might opt to choose only one of those guys and then also take a PF/C tweener in Darjus Lavrinovic (brother of Ksystof Lavrinovic who has already ended his career in the national team) to cover the backup PF role and a couple of C's in Valanciunas and veterans Javtokas/Kavaliauskas.

Jstock12
06-19-2015, 08:10 AM
If anyone's interested, there should be a good game between Lithuanian U20 team and Lithuanian student team in a couple of hours. I believe it will be 8:50 AM in Spokane's time.

Link: http://www.delfi.lt/video/sporto-tv/rungtynes/lietuva-u-20-vs-studentu-rinktine-draugiskos-krepsinio-rungtynes.d?id=68249070

P.S. It is now clear that another two players that are direct competition to Sabonis (as far as national men's team is concerned) will miss the training camp - Motiejunas & Gudaitis. It is unfortunate for me as a Lithuanian, because I want my team to be as strong as possible, but it makes Domas' chances of making the team (even if it's a 10-15mpg bench role) that much more likely. His competition has now slimmed down to: Jankunas (31), Kleiza (30). Granted, the head coach might opt to choose only one of those guys and then also take a PF/C tweener in Darjus Lavrinovic (brother of Ksystof Lavrinovic who has already ended his career in the national team) to cover the backup PF role and a couple of C's in Valanciunas and veterans Javtokas/Kavaliauskas.

Sorry for the mistake, the said game has just started.

Zagdawg
06-19-2015, 11:17 PM
Gonzaga Guru ‏@ZagsGuru · 6h6 hours ago
.@Dsabonis11: 16 Pts,8 Reb,6/11 FG for U20 Lithuania today. Showed high energy, mobility, hungry rebounding.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrMhypNcdE4

Zagdawg
06-21-2015, 01:18 PM
Gonzaga Guru ‏@ZagsGuru · 4h4 hours ago
.@DSabonis11 dominated for U20 Lithuania in win vs Latvia, dribbled well in transition: 19 Pts, 13 Reb, 2 Ast, 2 Stl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT4PrP7rhdM …

Gonzaga Guru ‏@ZagsGuru · 2h2 hours ago
.@Dsabonis11 is a force for Gonzaga & U20 Lithanian team. National team in sight:
http://www.15min.lt/m/id/24sek/lietuva/surizikaves-bet-nepasigailejes-domantas-sabonis-dabar-nori-zaisti-vyru-rinktineje-875-511038 … via @Urbodo

http://www.15min.lt/24sek/naujiena/lietuva/surizikaves-bet-nepasigailejes-domantas-sabonis-dabar-nori-zaisti-vyru-rinktineje-875-511038

Google Translate:
Domantas Sabonis the basket firmly grips the ball starts to run through the entire pitch, lets the motion deceive the opponent and fast break after sending dvižingsnio points over the rival basket. As well as playing against the Lithuanian student team, 19 years old Arvydas Sabonis son confidently moves and other basketball courts. US students in the league season, impressed tall and already dreaming about Lithuanian men's basketball team.

209 cm tall Lithuanian returned from Gonzaga University and now leads ahead twenty and thirty years Lithuanian team.

Although Domantas - the legendary, the best basketball player of all time Lithuania son, Lithuania may take a break from the attention that it and other "Gonzaga Bulldogs" boys surrounded the US
Gonzaga University does not have a soccer team, so all the attention is focused on basketball. Gamers out there - like little gods.

"There, everyone loves basketball. You go to the supermarket and everyone you know. NCAA fans - crazy. Quite another matter. You are loved and fans everywhere. I feel there's more attention than Lithuania, "- smiled D.Sabonis.

Modest as dad, but cheerful and friendly as The nineteen simple.

Gonzaga University Domantas studying sports management. It is in order to pursue higher education, he decided to leave the warm and Malaga game Euroleague converted into rizikingąją NCAA.

Although Arvydas Sabonis hesitated for Domantas career turn, now only son smiles broadly and has no doubts.
"Definitely no regrets. One hundred percent hit. I think for me it was the best career year ", - says D.Sabonis.

The obvious progress

Gonzaga University D.Sabonis in 22 minutes to score 9.7 points and 7.1 rebound off seized. Leaders shared the role of older players, but arose from the bench Domantas was satisfied with his position. The next season, his role will be even greater.

"I loved my role. I went out to pitch the passage of 3-4 minutes. NCAA basketball I really enjoyed it. I think this season improve some of the individual characteristics ", - assured D.Sabonis.

NCAA he devoted much attention to their rolls payments of hits, dribble, physical preparation. Friday night's super-fight between Basketball Academy Lithuanian youth (up to 20 m.) And the students selected was the most visible figure.

Progress tall - the obvious. He played together with the year older players, for their teammates he seemed at least 2-3 years older and more mature.

His every movement is deliberate. Game - secure and powerful. Domantas looked like students from rival teams on the centers' lack of twenty and thirty years moved to the team. By the way, he was able to represent students, but Arvydas dad advised to use the European youth championship.

"I really - really important. Just the whole year waiting for the summer, so I can play with the national team, "- the place restless Domantas.

Domantas versatility, of course, may be even more impressed NBA scouts. He refused to take part in this year's NBA draft, but the strongest league in the world can try to open the door next summer.

2016 NBA draft NBA Draft, "predicts D.Saboniui 9th summons, which belongs to the Charlotte Hornets.

"I am still young and I think it still was not ready this year to participate in the NBA draft," - said D.Sabonis.

He has not yet decided whether it will take part next year. Tall and next summer is entitled to withdraw NBA application. "I want to improve, and then see how I will do," - added the big man.

jazzdelmar
06-21-2015, 01:45 PM
Sounds like crack in his four year resolve.

Zagdawg
06-21-2015, 01:52 PM
With his skill and upside he probably should not be here 4 years-- but if he enjoys the college experience that much--time will tell (he just turned 19 a few weeks ago and he does not need the money).

Jstock12
06-30-2015, 11:41 AM
So... another PF player with NBA experience, Linas Kleiza, has declined to play for the national team. This really opens the door for the Bonus.

No K Lavrinovic, no Gudaitis, no Kleiza, no Motiejunas. D Lavrinovic is injured too at the moment so his situation isn't clear as well. The backup PF spot is his to take or lose now. And with the way he has been playing for the youth team it's hard to imagine him not making the men's squad as a backup to Paulius Jankunas.

Jstock12
07-03-2015, 08:07 AM
Domas with a 18 point (6/13 2FG, 6/6 FT) & 7 rebound performance in the final exhibition game before the Euro Championship, against Latvia.

jazzdelmar
07-03-2015, 08:41 AM
Domas with a 18 point (6/13 2FG, 6/6 FT) & 7 rebound performance in the final exhibition game before the Euro Championship, against Latvia.

This is U19, right?

Jstock12
07-03-2015, 08:46 AM
This is U19, right?

Last preparation game for the U20 Euro Championship. Lithuania didn't qualify for the U19 World Championship.

sittingon50
07-03-2015, 10:13 AM
6/6 FT. I like that.

ZagNative
07-07-2015, 03:29 PM
Lithuania meets Turkey tomorrow (July 8) at 6:15 a.m. or thereabouts in the first U20 preliminary round. Live Stats will be here. (http://u20men.fibaeurope.com/en/compID_UIfgjyQcGqk-fPlnl66Tj0.season_2015.roundID_11585.teamID_2135.h tml) Video supposed to be streamed live on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xROFhhM6AJ4

Jstock12
07-08-2015, 05:30 AM
Terrible performance by the U20 squad, especially the guards. It seems like Domas is the only one actually willing to play the game today... Yuck.

zagsfanforlife
07-08-2015, 06:50 AM
Terrible performance by the U20 squad, especially the guards. It seems like Domas is the only one actually willing to play the game today... Yuck.

Kinda OT but has anyone watched the "USA" u20 team? About 12 kansas players and 2 players from other schools, coached by Bill Self.... Never liked the guy from an outsiders perspective, now i like him even less. You are coaching a national team, and instead use it as a platform to get your kansas players more work playing with each other? You represent the USA, but instead we are trotting out the whole KU team? Geesh.

ZagNative
07-08-2015, 08:01 AM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-wQp1RXTUzvc/VZ1MVwp1gtI/AAAAAAACjao/6teScoZZJWY/s720/2015-07-08%252520Domantas%252520Sabonis%252520Turkey.jpg

Box score below. Next game is vs. Slovenia Thursday.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-8KYJTIaY8hE/VZ1Imf5fycI/AAAAAAACjJ0/8mzJ4r4oOSE/s912/2015-07-08%252520Sabonis%252520Box%252520Score%252520Turke y.jpg

Mojo13
07-08-2015, 08:18 AM
Kinda OT but has anyone watched the "USA" u20 team? About 12 kansas players and 2 players from other schools, coached by Bill Self.... Never liked the guy from an outsiders perspective, now i like him even less. You are coaching a national team, and instead use it as a platform to get your kansas players more work playing with each other? You represent the USA, but instead we are trotting out the whole KU team? Geesh.

You are barking up the wrong tree on this topic. Kansas was selected to represent the USA in this years World University Games. This is not the U20 Euro Championships discussed on this thread, nor the just concluded U19 World Championships the USA just won last week.

The World University Games is a little under the radar and USA Basketball will mix it up from time to time, especially when there are many other events going on like this summer. Two years ago the USA had a university "allstar team" represent - including guys like Marcus Smart, Doug McDermott and many other of the best currently enrolled (at the time) NCAA players. They were actually beaten by a Canadian team that included Kyle Wiltjer and Kevin Pangos.

The rules stated that Kansas had to only use US born players, so Self had to pull a kid from SMU and Central Florida as they didn't have enough bodies (two or three foreign born Kansas players were not allowed to play). This is not Bill Self, coach of the USA, selecting his one players. This is USA Basketball selecting Kansas to represent the USA. This year Canada chose to just send CIS players, thus no Wiltjer (but he will play for the PanAm games). I know it is confusing as there is allot going on. Even these U20's discussed here are less meaningful as many of the best young Euro players just played the U19 Worlds and wont play the U20 Euros.

ZagNative
07-08-2015, 08:45 AM
From twitter:

Gonzaga Guru retweeted
Halil Can Pelister ‏@HCanPelister 4h4 hours ago Turkey

Domantas Sabonis ('96) is a BEAST. Gonzaga is a great place for International players who want to develop their games in college bball.

23dpg
07-08-2015, 09:17 AM
That must have been one horrible performance by the guards. Not only did Domas lead the team in points and rebounds, he also had all but one of the team's assists (4/5). What?!?

sittingon50
07-08-2015, 09:49 AM
That must have been one horrible performance by the guards. Not only did Domas lead the team in points and rebounds, he also had all but one of the team's assists (4/5). What?!?

Agreed 23. That is/was ugly.

Zagdawg
07-08-2015, 01:12 PM
Sabonis is is going to appreciate the guard play at Gonzaga that much more in the coming year.

zagsfanforlife
07-08-2015, 03:57 PM
You are barking up the wrong tree on this topic. Kansas was selected to represent the USA in this years World University Games. This is not the U20 Euro Championships discussed on this thread, nor the just concluded U19 World Championships the USA just won last week.

The World University Games is a little under the radar and USA Basketball will mix it up from time to time, especially when there are many other events going on like this summer. Two years ago the USA had a university "allstar team" represent - including guys like Marcus Smart, Doug McDermott and many other of the best currently enrolled (at the time) NCAA players. They were actually beaten by a Canadian team that included Kyle Wiltjer and Kevin Pangos.

The rules stated that Kansas had to only use US born players, so Self had to pull a kid from SMU and Central Florida as they didn't have enough bodies (two or three foreign born Kansas players were not allowed to play). This is not Bill Self, coach of the USA, selecting his one players. This is USA Basketball selecting Kansas to represent the USA. This year Canada chose to just send CIS players, thus no Wiltjer (but he will play for the PanAm games). I know it is confusing as there is allot going on. Even these U20's discussed here are less meaningful as many of the best young Euro players just played the U19 Worlds and wont play the U20 Euros.

ahhh. thank you. New this couldnt possibly be right. Still cant stand Self, and love seeing his team fizzle out early each year.

Jstock12
07-08-2015, 04:55 PM

That's one of the main issues of Lithuanian basketball in general. We produce very few high caliber point guards (such as Marciulionis, Jasikevicius). I don't know why that is, but our guard (and especially PG) positions are very weak.

ZagNative
07-09-2015, 11:19 AM
Lithuania beat Slovenia today 85-60 (https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-X53OFi7R8Co/VZ7G4RPzKbI/AAAAAAACjec/EcSaq5ymOBo/s949/2015-07-09%252520Sabonis%252520Box%252520Score.jpg).

http://u20men.fibaeurope.com/en/files/%7BCD8E8A71-4702-41A7-B4FE-17AA27ED661E%7Dflexible.jpg

Lotsa boards!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-X53OFi7R8Co/VZ7G4RPzKbI/AAAAAAACjec/EcSaq5ymOBo/s949/2015-07-09%252520Sabonis%252520Box%252520Score.jpg

Tomorrow they face Germany.

Zags_Fanatic
07-09-2015, 03:32 PM
Nice to see Domas drawing fouls instead of committing them.

ZagNative
07-10-2015, 09:40 AM
Lithuania beat Germany today, 61-52 (http://u20men.fibaeurope.com/en/compID_UIfgjyQcGqk-fPlnl66Tj0.season_2015.roundID_11585.gameID_11586-D-8-4.html). Domas is not shooting as well as he usually does, but he's rebounding like crazy.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-E6Q_uhXSqwY/VaAApNXLkDI/AAAAAAACjf0/jEs9ef6NHMM/s350-Ic42/2025-07-10%252520Domantas%252520Sabonis%252520Germany%2525 20Top%252520Performers.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-XxsSou9udn0/VZ_9Km5d2BI/AAAAAAACjfo/Ohx19LTf83Q/s576-Ic42/2015-07-10%252520Domantas%252520Sabonis%252520Rebound%2525 20Leader.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-S-eq6C61-Jo/VZ_5yrAUGZI/AAAAAAACjfQ/rxRHkOnLRVk/s964-Ic42/2015-07-09%252520Sabonis%252520Germany%252520Box%252520Sco re.jpg

Zagdawg
07-10-2015, 11:51 AM
I think the folks he is playing with give him more opportunities for rebounds (i.e. they are not very good shots--8 offensive boards is nice).

MTZag03
07-10-2015, 01:26 PM
I think the folks he is playing with give him more opportunities for rebounds (i.e. they are not very good shots).

Good point. He was an excellent rebounder last year on the best shooting team in the nation. DS gets to the ball.

amaronizag
07-10-2015, 03:05 PM
Sabonis will be a double-double machine next year!!!

ZagNative
07-11-2015, 09:13 AM
Lithuania playing Great Britain right now.

Live stats here (http://live.fibaeurope.com/www/Game.aspx?acc=1&gameID=68321&lng=en)

Live Youtube video feed here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWKbzZCylwE

ZagNative
07-11-2015, 09:33 AM
At the half, Lithuania leads 32-23. Sabonis with 6 points and 6 rebounds.

Zagdawg
07-11-2015, 10:40 AM
Lithuania wins 56-49 --Sabonis with 6 pts and 14 boards (only took 5 shots)

ZagNative
07-11-2015, 10:53 AM
Lithuania moves on to the second round.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-xlMyzQTFQUg/VaFjiHaRGeI/AAAAAAACjiE/ca3P9whVfrk/s720-Ic42/2015-07-11%252520Domantas%252520Sabonis%252520GB%252520Box %252520Score.jpg

Jstock12
07-11-2015, 11:26 AM
He was the 3rd leading scorer on his team... 6 points. LOL.

MTZag03
07-11-2015, 11:34 AM
+/- of 12

Jstock12
07-11-2015, 11:56 AM
+/- of 12

I don't doubt that stat shows the truth in Domas instance. But take a look at the Z. Jurgutis guy. 24 minutes, 3 points, 7 turnovers, and a +/- of +13, HA! Talk about coasting on your teammates coattails.

SLOZag
07-11-2015, 12:39 PM
Isn't it time to change the title of this thread from"Sabonis has a real shot at making it into Lithuania's Men's National Team" to

... wait for it ...

Sabonis has a real shot to be Lithuania's Men's National Team?

Jstock12
07-11-2015, 01:28 PM
Isn't it time to change the title of this thread from"Sabonis has a real shot at making it into Lithuania's Men's National Team" to

... wait for it ...

Sabonis has a real shot to be Lithuania's Men's National Team?

This isn't the men's team he's playing for though, it's the U20. He should be able to make it into the men's team as a backup PF. Paulius Jankunas has the starting PF spot locked up though.

P.S. Sorry if your post was ironic and I misunderstood it. :)

Jstock12
07-11-2015, 04:46 PM
https://vine.co/v/evKiq1pZggn

I like how Domas reacts and quickly steps through the double-team when the number 12 from opposing team comes over. Good offensive instincts.

Zagdawg
07-12-2015, 12:36 PM
Gonzaga Guru ‏@ZagsGuru · 11m11 minutes ago
Gonzaga's @Dsabonis11 is the top rebounder heading into 2nd Round of #FIBAU20Europe. 5.5 OReb(#1), 8 DReb(#2) #ZagUp

ZagNative
07-12-2015, 12:52 PM
Lithuania matches up with the Czech Republic in their first game of the second round Monday at 5:15 AM

Other second round games schedued:

Tues., July 14, vs. Spain

Weds., July 15, vs. Ukraine

Link to FIBA U20 Website (http://u20men.fibaeurope.com/en/compID_UIfgjyQcGqk-fPlnl66Tj0.season_2015.roundID_11585.teamID_2135.h tml)

SageOfZagville
07-13-2015, 06:13 AM
Lithuania lost 69-79.

Sabonis with 13 pts and 13 rebounds. He was a dismal 4/13 from the field. I wonder if he is working on taking shots further from the basket. He had such a high shooting percentage taking the shots within Few's offense last season. I can't believe that he suddenly lost his touch around the basket. Hopefully he gets it worked out during this tournament.

DixieZag
07-13-2015, 06:52 AM
The UK has a basketball team?

Glad Sabonis is getting this opportunity. If he's in a shooting slump, he'll get out of it.

ZagNative
07-13-2015, 08:29 AM
Yeah, I wonder what the poor shooting percentage is about ...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-H48rnXKiBCo/VaPmgyMw-FI/AAAAAAACjjk/n5ngzajmAdw/s931-Ic42/2015-07-13%252520Domantas%252520Sabonis%252520Czech.jpg

Zags_Fanatic
07-13-2015, 08:39 AM
On a positive note, that is another statline with 6 drawn fouls and none committed. His shooting will work itself out in the GU system, but Domas last season would not have been capable of grabbing 13 boards without committing any fouls.

Jstock12
07-13-2015, 09:50 AM
I watched the game. Sabonis missed a few baby hooks around the basket after getting [insert number greater than 1]-teamed. Whenever he got the ball he was constantly double-teamed and even triple-teamed. If his teammates were better, maybe he wouldn't get such attention, but I'd say he looked pretty good still.

SageOfZagville
07-13-2015, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the update. I do remember him getting double and triple-teamed last summer playing for Lithuania. They won't be able to do that with all of the weapons we will put on the court next year.

ZagNative
07-13-2015, 10:44 AM
Game photo ...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-1lDoT4YqEkE/VaQGKw3lGHI/AAAAAAACjj8/dobRNyvFwtc/s720-Ic42/2015-07-13%252520Domantas%252520Sabonis%252520Czech%252520 Republic.jpg

Zagdawg
07-13-2015, 11:55 AM
Sabonis being forced to do more to help carry the team--the kid is a gamer who wants to win--- hope he gets a bit of rest before getting into the college grind.

Jstock12
07-14-2015, 06:22 AM
Chilling here in Barcelona getting ready to watch Lithuania-Spain :) I hope it's going to be a good game.

ZagNative
07-14-2015, 08:43 AM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-TcsSf3qsfO0/VaU63Im7X9I/AAAAAAACjkw/HHTzkLadTmE/s640-Ic42/2015-07-14%252520Domantas%252520Sabonis%252520Spain.jpg

DixieZag
07-14-2015, 08:53 AM
Game photo ...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-1lDoT4YqEkE/VaQGKw3lGHI/AAAAAAACjj8/dobRNyvFwtc/s720-Ic42/2015-07-13%252520Domantas%252520Sabonis%252520Czech%252520 Republic.jpg

Thank you for posting the pic.

It looks like he has gained some muscle weight in the shoulders.

He's just at that age where many people see a muscle growth spurt if they are working out.

Zagceo
07-14-2015, 09:08 AM
From the stat sheet looks like Domas didn't play last 7 min of the game.

ZagNative
07-15-2015, 06:10 AM
Lithuanis vs.Ukraine on now.

Live Stats here (http://live.fibaeurope.com/www/Game.aspx?acc=1&gameID=69338&lng=en)

Live Video streaming here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ale0Z1OTEvw

ZAG 4 LIFE
07-15-2015, 06:47 AM
Lithuanis vs.Ukraine on now.

Live Stats here (http://live.fibaeurope.com/www/Game.aspx?acc=1&gameID=69338&lng=en)

Live Video streaming here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ale0Z1OTEvw

Don't miss with 15 rebounds and 4 assists at the half vs. Ukraine... Fabulous!

Jstock12
07-15-2015, 08:05 AM
Domas, 18 points, 28 rebounds, 6 assists, 4 steals in a win against Ukraine.

hooter73
07-15-2015, 08:26 AM

Uhhh... holy crap?

:) :) :)

SanDiegoZag
07-15-2015, 08:36 AM
Yeah, I would say that is pretty good...

Is Ukraine just not good at all, or was it just the first team in the tourney to let him get his (i.e. not double and triple team him constantly)?

Jstock12
07-15-2015, 09:20 AM
Yeah, I would say that is pretty good...

Is Ukraine just not good at all, or was it just the first team in the tourney to let him get his (i.e. not double and triple team him constantly)?

They were good enough to advance to the second round, but were winless in it. There was some double-teaming going on today, although not all of the time. The rebounding was impressive, but it was a bit inflated Moses Malone style, i.e. he missed some easy buckets around the basket, then got his own putbacks. He made some GREAT passes today. Maybe 3 of them were straight from his dad's playbook. One that was especially impressive was a 3/4 court bullet pass to his teammate for a layup. Sabonis looked amazing today. I definitely couldn't say that his statline was stuffed with empty stats.

ZagNative
07-15-2015, 09:35 AM
http://u20men.fibaeurope.com/en/files/%7B6245A188-A867-4839-8BA0-D0218A31B3EC%7Dflexible.jpg

Game story (http://u20men.fibaeurope.com/en/compID_UIfgjyQcGqk-fPlnl66Tj0.season_2015.roundID_11585.coid_0ScswN4A INkYMK-87faA82.articleMode_on.html):

Lithuania recovered from an 11-point second-quarter deficit to prevail 70-57 over Ukraine and will know at the conclusion of Wednesday Group F action whether it was enough to earn them a quarter-final berth.

Turning Point: Domantas Sabonis came up with the steal in his own half of the court 5:48 from the end and finished with a dunk to cap-off a 14-4 Lithuanian burst bridging the final two quarters. It enabled the Baltic side to gain a 61-51 lead and saw them safely through as Ukraine ran out of fresh legs in the final stretch.

Stats Don't Lie: On the back of Sabonis' dominance on the glass, Lithuania out-rebounded Ukraine 56 to 32. Interestingly, Ukraine are the team that set the record for most rebounds in a single game in this tournament, as they had collected 57 boards in their win over Poland.

Game Hero: Sabonis resembled an unmovable rock in the paint, as he picked up 15 of his tournament-record 28 rebounds already in the first half. The Lithuanian big man also scored 18 points to register a double-double and added six assists and four steals.

The Bottom Line: If the Czech Republic defeat Germany later on Wednesday, Lithuania will advance to the U20 European Championship quarter-finals as fourth from Group F. In the event Germany win, the exact final margin of their victory will determine which two of the Lithuanians, Czechs or Germans make the last eight. Ukraine have finished sixth in the group and will play for places 9 to 12.

Jstock12
07-15-2015, 09:37 AM
http://i.imgur.com/SD9EHVG.png

IowaSERE
07-15-2015, 10:14 AM
Watch the game from when there are 6 min left until 3 min left. DS totally dominated and put the game away. 6 points, 1 ast, 3 reb, 1 steal.

MDABE80
07-15-2015, 10:38 AM
Few more games like this and he'll be a preseason pick for something good. I'm thinking he comes back for 1 year......if he keeps this up. In the picture , he looks bigger and more defined. He's a great player no doubt. Scouts will be watching. Last year he had the "name" and he had a very good season. Thi year, he's got the "name" and he'll have some superior performances. Wiltjer and Domas should be the apples of the scribes' eyes. The two might be the best bigs we've had in a long time...... if the guard play is as good as I think it should be ( CDC was right a few days ago when he said the press will focus on the losses of the 3 guards ), it'll be a great year.

SanDiegoZag
07-15-2015, 10:58 AM
It's hard to believe that a guy this good won't be starting next year...

I mean, will Domas be the best 6th man in college hoops since Gilbert Arenas at AZ?

I know people on this board LOVE to criticize anyone who even entertains the thought of putting a "4" at the "3" spot...but if Mark Few is not trying to think of creative ways to get Sabonis, Wiltjer, and Shem on the floor at the same time for even brief periods...he is doing these players and the team a major disservice.

Keep in mind, even if you are calling him a 6th man, you are still inferring that the first person to go to the bench would arguably be one of your two best players (Wiltjer and Shem). These three guys need major minutes, and that isn't even taking into consideration Ryan Edwards. Sharing the minutes of two spots between these four guys does not seem right.

SageOfZagville
07-15-2015, 11:39 AM
Lithuania Advances

What a performance from Domas. 28 eight rebounds would be hard to get even if Shaq were shooting free throws.

From the FIBA Site.

The Bottom Line: Czech Republic and Lithuania are the only beneficials of this result, as they both advance to the quarter-finals while Germany get the wrong end of the three-way tie and finish fifth in Group F. The Czechs will face France in the last eight, while Lithuania will go up against Serbia.

MDABE80
07-15-2015, 12:18 PM
That's worth paying to see/ Anyone who can show us how to beam it up?

Jstock12
07-15-2015, 12:37 PM
That's worth paying to see/ Anyone who can show us how to beam it up?

The games are being streamed on youtube.

Jstock12
07-15-2015, 01:12 PM
David Hein @heinnews

.@Dsabonis11 only the 4th player w more than 20 rebs in #FIBAU20Europe game: Aldemir TUR 25&23-'11; Cuccarolo ITA 21-'07; Turiaf FRA 21-'02
10:01 PM - 15 Jul 2015

Radbooks
07-16-2015, 10:55 AM
Here is a link to a 3 minute highlight of Sabonis's game yesterday!

https://twitter.com/draftprosnba/status/621732170021871616

IowaSERE
07-16-2015, 11:38 AM
One thing that I noticed was that when he was getting a rebound, he was looking to get into transition and many times taking the ball up the court himself. Thats something I don't remember seeing him do last year.

jazzdelmar
07-16-2015, 11:49 AM
Few more games like this and he'll be a preseason pick for something good. I'm thinking he comes back for 1 year......if he keeps this up. In the picture , he looks bigger and more defined. He's a great player no doubt. Scouts will be watching. Last year he had the "name" and he had a very good season. Thi year, he's got the "name" and he'll have some superior performances. Wiltjer and Domas should be the apples of the scribes' eyes. The two might be the best bigs we've had in a long time...... if the guard play is as good as I think it should be ( CDC was right a few days ago when he said the press will focus on the losses of the 3 guards ), it'll be a great year.

As I've said from the start, he is a generational player. Comparisons with the likes of JP and Ammo and KO are futile. There has never been anyone remotely like him with respect to his motor, his lineage and his dedication.

madness
07-16-2015, 11:51 AM
Domas the impaler!

He looks like a man among boys in that highlight video. The handle and the passing is impressive. From what I see (gasp) he could definitely play wing with that handle.

Zagdawg
07-16-2015, 12:48 PM
He has a great motor and is expanding his skillset----Keep in mind before you put him in the 3 position--this was a highlight video-- it did not show the time(s) when he was dribbling down the court and the smaller/quicker guy stole the ball from him or he turned it over.

Ebay
07-16-2015, 03:09 PM
He has a great motor and is expanding his skillset----Keep in mind before you put him in the 3 position--this was a highlight video-- it did not show the time(s) when he was dribbling down the court and the smaller/quicker guy stole the ball from him or he turned it over.

How often did we see BW bring the ball up the court last season? Yes, it happens but it was relatively rare. I'd have no issues with Sabonis running the break if he can beat his man up the floor as evidenced a few times in that video. You know he would have no issue with stuffing the ball in a guys face if the defender chooses to cut off a passing lane instead of stopping ball. We'd need to work on a press break, but I think all of our bigs bball IQ's are great so they would be able to pass out of traps(or over the traps).

I obviously have no idea what Few is thinking, but why not start our three bigs together? As soon as one of them picks up his first foul, sub him out and go smaller. Imagine if we could make it to the under 16 TO while having all three of our bigs still on the floor. I'm willing to bet a big or two on the opposing team would pick up an early foul or fouls. We could also experiment with doing a 2-3 zone with the three of them in there. Our guards would be athletic enough to run guys off the 3 point line(hopefully). Rebounding in a zone is always an issue, but we'd have the size to rebound over smaller guards crashing the boards. I hope we at least experiment with playing Karn/Wilt/Sabonis together. I just think it would cause matchup nightmares for our opponents. They would almost have to go zone against us and our rebounding could be a game changer then. With Edwards coming off the bench, I feel we have a much better safety net than last year with Angel. Maybe I'm crazy, but i honestly think our bigs could average 50 and 30 as a group. And how much fun would it be to watch Wilt shoot 3's with both Karn and Sabonis waiting for a rebound? Sounds pretty fun to me. Anyone else want any kool-aid?

Zagdawg
07-16-2015, 06:05 PM
Primary reason that Sabonis is running the break is the poor play of the guards on the team that he is playing with. The Zag guards are quite a bit better than the guards that Sabonis is playing with.

Reason that Sabonis isn't playing wing and chasing around a 6'4"-6"5 inch wing on the defensive end---he would get beat and pick up a foul trying to make up for the guy blowing by him---probably a reason Few gets the big bucks and we are fans.

We would be great on the offensive end--on the defensive end....not so much.

Our two guards would be athletic enough to run the opposing teams 3 guards "off the three point line" ....hmmmmm ..... how would you like to be one of our two guards trying to do that for an extended period of time? Our bigs would need to rotate out as they swing the ball from corner to corner.

Might be interesting to see if our guys can do anything like that --but we will see if Few rolls the dice and tries something like this.

Reborn
07-16-2015, 07:47 PM
My God. What team is he playing on? What I saw was 24 rebounds. Rebound after rebound after rebound, and some really good passes. Impressed with the passing. His game has definitely improved, unless that was a high school team they were playing.

zagamatic
07-16-2015, 08:23 PM
Keep in mind that if Sabonis is playing the 3, that likely means that Wiltjer is playing at the 4, and Wiltjer can bring the ball up the floor just fine imo. Man oh man, the idea of Sabonis, Wiltjer and Karnowski/ Edwards all on the floor at the same time just doesn't seem fair.

Reborn
07-16-2015, 08:52 PM
Think of Kentucky last year. Cal didn't play all the bigs at the same time and I doubt if Few will. But Sabonis certainly could beat out Karno.

IowaSERE
07-16-2015, 08:55 PM
Yet there is never any talk about pk coming off the bench

bigblahla
07-16-2015, 09:19 PM
Wiltjer is Lightning and Shem is Thunder....Domas is the Hammer...the Zags are a handful and then some but when Domas hits the floor the TEAM intensity increases....like him coming off the bench....

Go!! Zags!!!

hooter73
07-17-2015, 08:16 AM
Senior Karno has earned his spot. Domas can sub in for the 4 or 5 and he's still only a 2nd year foul prone player. I think the first big off the bench will be just fine for him. Playing all three together is ridiculous. There would be such poor defense that even Adam Morrison would face palm the idea.

Ebay
07-17-2015, 09:55 AM
Primary reason that Sabonis is running the break is the poor play of the guards on the team that he is playing with. The Zag guards are quite a bit better than the guards that Sabonis is playing with.

Reason that Sabonis isn't playing wing and chasing around a 6'4"-6"5 inch wing on the defensive end---he would get beat and pick up a foul trying to make up for the guy blowing by him---probably a reason Few gets the big bucks and we are fans.

We would be great on the offensive end--on the defensive end....not so much.

Our two guards would be athletic enough to run the opposing teams 3 guards "off the three point line" ....hmmmmm ..... how would you like to be one of our two guards trying to do that for an extended period of time? Our bigs would need to rotate out as they swing the ball from corner to corner.

Might be interesting to see if our guys can do anything like that --but we will see if Few rolls the dice and tries something like this.

Obviously our bigs(Sabonis and Wilt) would need to rotate out as the ball swings to the corner. That is how a 2-3 zone works. As you conceded above, our offense would be great. If, and that's a big if, we can figure out how to be serviceable on the defensive end with that lineup, why would you not want to at least try it? There has been a decent amount of speculation that Sabonis could play the 3 this year from people far more in the know than you or I. Sabonis may not have the foot speed to stay in front of some elite SF's in the NCAA, but I think it may be a different story in the WCC. Give him some run at that spot and it could prepare him for the tourney. Also, zero chance a 6'4" or 6'5" guy could ever dream about containing Sabonis. They'd have to switch that guy onto Wiltjer, and they wouldn't be able to contain him either. I like that scenario. I would rather have other teams edit their lineups to match up with us than the other way around. Just my opinion though.

ZagNative
07-17-2015, 11:05 AM
Lithuania vs. Serbia on now. Live stats here (http://live.fibaeurope.com/www/Game.aspx?acc=1&gameID=69433&lng=en). (Does not appear to be live video streaming for today's game.)

hooter73
07-17-2015, 11:22 AM
End of 1st quarter Domas has 2 pts 2 rebounds in a 17 to 13 point thriller lol

ZagNative
07-17-2015, 11:43 AM
Serbia is killing them...42-19 ...

hooter73
07-17-2015, 01:13 PM
82 to 69 final. DS with 6 points and 5 rebounds. Yuck.

SageOfZagville
07-17-2015, 01:44 PM
Lithuania's guards are turnover prone.

Turning Point: After Lithuania tied the scores at 13-all late in the opening quarter, Serbia decided it was time to showcase their bone-crushing defence. Serbia trapped the Lithuanian guards mid-court, forced turnovers or ill-advised shots and went on a 15-0 run bridging the two first frames. Ognjen Jaramaz capped it off it by converting an and-one play with 6:27 remaining in the second frame to lift Serbia to a 28-13 lead. Not content with that, Serbia kept pushing and enjoyed a 50-21 lead once play resumed after the break.

Stats Don't Lie: Serbia forced 11 Lithuanian turnovers during their spectacular second-quarter stretch, when they out-scored their opponents 30-8. While Serbia's shooting was not the sharpest from two-point range, they knocked down 9 of their 17 three-point attempts

mgadfly
07-17-2015, 02:29 PM
Playing all three together is ridiculous. There would be such poor defense that even Adam Morrison would face palm the idea.

I think we are going to see it. The problem with a 2-3 zone is rebounding (not matching up with littler guys), but if Sabonis is on the court you probably can get away with it. Plus, usually having three bigs is a problem because you can't stretch/spread the defense, but one of the GU bigs is the best stretch 4 in the country. So, ridiculous or not, we may get some vintage 2006 Gonzaga zone this season.

ProjectMKUltra5
07-17-2015, 03:08 PM
Love how it went from having Wiljter at the 3 to just switching and putting Sabo at the 3. IF all three bigs are on the floor together, Wiljter would still be the one playing on the outside and Sabo on the inside. For all intents and purposes Kyle would still be the 3 so this doesn't really change anything.

The thing that really irks me is that while it doesn't make any sense on defense, it makes even less sense offensively. Why would you make Kyle just stand outside the 3 point line? Why force him to be the same player he was at UK when he's so much more dynamic then that? It's not like he can go inside out with another big, Kyle IS the outside in that scenario.

Take a look at Kyles shot distribution...

He took 29.1% of his shots at the rim, 37.9% were mid range, and 33.0% were from three. His FG% was 70.6% (rim), 47.6% (mid-range), and 46.2% (three). That is as dynamic and effective from all three levels as you can get. By putting PK, Sabo, and Wiljter in at the same time your taking your best player out of position just because you don't want to rotate your bigs.

Nonsense.

CDC84
07-17-2015, 03:29 PM
Hoopaholic - who knows X's and O's far more than I do - has explained in the past how all three could start and the team could thrive on both ends. It's not an impossibility.

FWIW = I would be shocked if we don't see all three play at the same time at times.

GonzagasaurusFlex
07-18-2015, 04:37 AM
Love how it went from having Wiljter at the 3 to just switching and putting Sabo at the 3. IF all three bigs are on the floor together, Wiljter would still be the one playing on the outside and Sabo on the inside. For all intents and purposes Kyle would still be the 3 so this doesn't really change anything.

The thing that really irks me is that while it doesn't make any sense on defense, it makes even less sense offensively. Why would you make Kyle just stand outside the 3 point line? Why force him to be the same player he was at UK when he's so much more dynamic then that? It's not like he can go inside out with another big, Kyle IS the outside in that scenario.

He took 29.1% of his shots at the rim, 37.9% were mid range, and 33.0% were from three. His FG% was 70.6% (rim), 47.6% (mid-range), and 46.2% (three). That is as dynamic and effective from all three levels as you can get. By putting PK, Sabo, and Wiljter in at the same time your taking your best player out of position just because you don't want to rotate your bigs.

Nonsense.

I agree it would be unwise to relegate KW to being just a spot up 3 point shooter for the sake of having all three bigs on the court together, but I think Coach Few and staff would be much more creative than that..

For example, Sabonis is the best high-pick-and-roll big on the team so you can pull him out to set screens up top for the guards thus allowing some set plays where KW is posted up for the ball to be swung away from the high screen and dumped inside to KW or PK. That's just one immediate option that comes to mind. I'm sure the professional coaches can create lots of options other than KW being parked outside the 3 pt line. In fact, if I were a lifetime college hoops coach this kind of creativity and having to adjust your system to fit your current players is just the thing that would keep my job fun and interesting.

ZagNative
07-18-2015, 08:14 AM
Lithuania and Latvia tied in overtime, 72-72. Box Score (http://live.fibaeurope.com/www/Game.aspx?acc=1&gameID=69485&lng=en)

IowaSERE
07-18-2015, 08:28 AM
fouled out with 2 min to play. too bad.

ZagNative
07-18-2015, 08:32 AM
Close one ...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-qvmg-A3M7Es/Vap_Ai3o4VI/AAAAAAACjmg/0poosLx9xCY/s640-Ic42/2015-07-18%252520Domantas%252520Sabonis%252520Latvia-1.jpg

DADoZAG
07-18-2015, 11:27 AM
Hoopaholic - who knows X's and O's far more than I do - has explained in the past how all three could start and the team could thrive on both ends. It's not an impossibility.

FWIW = I would be shocked if we don't see all three play at the same time at times.

Right there with ya, CDC. Hoops knows this #### as well as any poster. 'Plus, if Fran was tweeting it, he got it from a source he trusts. It will be about match ups.

ZAGS were "out-lengthed" against Iowa State. Not out sized, but Iowa State was longer. Gary was at times guarding someone that dwarfed him. Sure the ZAGS won, but against teams like Arizona and UCLA this year, playing all three will happen is my guess.

I agree it would be unwise to relegate KW to being just a spot up 3 point shooter for the sake of having all three bigs on the court together, but I think Coach Few and staff would be much more creative than that..

For example, Sabonis is the best high-pick-and-roll big on the team so you can pull him out to set screens up top for the guards thus allowing some set plays where KW is posted up for the ball to be swung away from the high screen and dumped inside to KW or PK. That's just one immediate option that comes to mind. I'm sure the professional coaches can create lots of options other than KW being parked outside the 3 pt line. In fact, if I were a lifetime college hoops coach this kind of creativity and having to adjust your system to fit your current players is just the thing that would keep my job fun and interesting.

Strength in flexibility, Flex? Hmmm, flexibility is not an attribute commonly associated with Coach in the past.

That said, Few's been called an offensive genius. Tommy has impressed us with his defensive schemes.

IMO, we'll never hear staff again say they weren't sure what to do with someone. These guys are too good. "Play to Potential" is now ingrained.

Go ZAGS!

mgadfly
07-18-2015, 03:00 PM

Nonsense.

When match ups allowed Wiltj would be in the low post, Karno would be at the high, and Sabonis would be the opposite wing who dives to the hoop when the defense doubles. Wesley didn't spread the defense with his shooting in that roll last year and did quite well with his minutes. Sabonis would be in position for dunks and rebounds and could interchange with Wiltjer depending on who had the better matchup.

I don't think the offense would need to change much at all and since the offense is going to go through KW it would get him plenty of touches in the post. Can our offense handle a non three point shooting weak side wing? I think that was answered last year as long as the guards can stretch the offense.

The offense

ProjectMKUltra5
07-18-2015, 03:12 PM

For example, Sabonis is the best high-pick-and-roll big on the team so you can pull him out to set screens up top for the guards thus allowing some set plays where KW is posted up for the ball to be swung away from the high screen and dumped inside to KW or PK.

And what do you propose Sabo does after the screen? Crash the paint even though there's already two Gonzaga bigs down there? Or should a guy who's shown zero ability to stretch the defense pick and pop? Asking a lotto pick to be nothing more then a guy who sets screens is as poor a utilization of talent as you can get, much like asking Wiljter to be a pure shooter. All these scenarios that are being thrown out are essentially asking one of the three bigs to not be involved in the play and if that's the case then why even play them together at all?

mgadfly
07-18-2015, 03:23 PM
And what do you propose Sabo does after the screen? Crash the paint even though there's already two Gonzaga bigs down there? Or should a guy who's shown zero ability to stretch the defense pick and pop? Asking a lotto pick to be nothing more then a guy who sets screens is as poor a utilization of talent as you can get, much like asking Wiljter to be a pure shooter. All these scenarios that are being thrown out are essentially asking one of the three bigs to not be involved in the play and if that's the case then why even play them together at all?

I'm actually not an advocate for the three bigs lineup, but I think the answer to your question is pretty obvious. 1. Force awkward matchups for the opponent (like using two TEs in football), 2. Because Sabonis doesn't have to be involved in the offense to make a huge impact on the glass, and 3. Team chemistry (we want Edwards to be happy and develop since he's our only big coming back).

I'd prefer three guards and a lot of Wiltjer but that means Edwards gets no time on the court.

GonzagasaurusFlex
07-18-2015, 03:26 PM

You seem to have a narrow minded idea of a D-1 offense. Sabonis may be the high screen big for one set play, but obviously Zags would not run the same play over and over again. So, no, playing all three bigs at once would not mean asking any one of them to do one thing and one thing only.

As for Sabonis being a lottery pick, I think that's a bit unrealistic right now but perhaps in 2-3 years.

Bogozags
07-18-2015, 06:58 PM
Right there with ya, CDC. Hoops knows this #### as well as any poster. 'Plus, if Fran was tweeting it, he got it from a source he trusts. It will be about match ups.

ZAGS were "out-lengthed" against Iowa State. Not out sized, but Iowa State was longer. Gary was at times guarding someone that dwarfed him. Sure the ZAGS won, but against teams like Arizona and UCLA this year, playing all three will happen is my guess.

Strength in flexibility, Flex? Hmmm, flexibility is not an attribute commonly associated with Coach in the past.

That said, Few's been called an offensive genius. Tommy has impressed us with his defensive schemes.

IMO, we'll never hear staff again say they weren't sure what to do with someone. These guys are too good. "Play to Potential" is now ingrained.

Go ZAGS!

IMO..."IF" KW has some how increased his lateral quickness, it will be extremely difficult for him to guard most SF's he plays against in a M-M defense. DS doesn't have the quickness to guard most SF's either; however, if and when we play a 2-3 zone, they could both easily start and then that would be a problem for almost every team in the country to defend. We could run any number of guards with them on defence but on the offence side of the ball, we would surely need a strong passer as well as two guards adept from behind the arc...

Syracuse has played this zone for what seems decades...but they never had the front line talent we have...again imo...

ProjectMKUltra5
07-18-2015, 08:59 PM
You seem to have a narrow minded idea of a D-1 offense. Sabonis may be the high screen big for one set play, but obviously Zags would not run the same play over and over again. So, no, playing all three bigs at once would not mean asking any one of them to do one thing and one thing only.

As for Sabonis being a lottery pick, I think that's a bit unrealistic right now but perhaps in 2-3 years.

I should have been more clear. When I said Sabo shouldn't be reduced to just a screener, I meant he shouldn't be reduced to that at all, not even for a play. At least not in a deliberate attempt by the coach and especially not when you can utilize all his talents by just playing 2 bigs. Coaches are supposed to put their players in position to make plays and win games, asking Sabo to just be a screener (even for just a single play) is not an effective use of his talent, simple as that.

And Sabo is at worst, a top 20 player in next year's draft. Most mocks have him going in the lottery, some have him just outside that.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25225842/predicting-2016-nba-draft-lottery-next-year-should-be-good-for-sec

Don't let all the sunshine around Sabo being a four year player fool you, he isn't making it that long

Hoopaholic
07-18-2015, 10:35 PM
I should have been more clear. When I said Sabo shouldn't be reduced to just a screener, I meant he shouldn't be reduced to that at all, not even for a play. At least not in a deliberate attempt by the coach and especially not when you can utilize all his talents by just playing 2 bigs. Coaches are supposed to put their players in position to make plays and win games, asking Sabo to just be a screener (even for just a single play) is not an effective use of his talent, simple as that.

And Sabo is at worst, a top 20 player in next year's draft. Most mocks have him going in the lottery, some have him just outside that.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25225842/predicting-2016-nba-draft-lottery-next-year-should-be-good-for-sec

Don't let all the sunshine around Sabo being a four year player fool you, he isn't making it that long

hmmmm some great coaches over the years have always stated the most dangerous person on the court is the screener if you want him to score......

Hoopaholic
07-18-2015, 10:40 PM

hmmm so if you have Perkins or Melson on the wing, with Sabonis coming out to set a high side screen, as the attacker is taking the ball off the dribble to the middle, this leave sthe lane WIDE open for the roll off the screen by Sabonis. If the opposite post players (Karno) cheats, he ducks in for the easy dish and dunk. If the far wing, KW man sags, the dish is to him for wide open look......matchup issues galore with simple pick and role and key players in the right spot... not even getting into the switch on the pick and roll and guess what....sabonis now on the block with a guard behind him....wow

I could come up wtih hundred sets off this lineup that creates major mismatches and plays to the strength of each of the player on the court.....

but hey you think the only thing a screener can do is screen and not be part of the on going action nor help create matchup issues

ProjectMKUltra5
07-19-2015, 12:27 AM
Now that you established that you can indeed come up with sets that use 3 bigs, how about you show me how that's relevant to Gonzaga in any way? How do those sets integrate with the current motions and sets Few likes? Has Few ever had used 3 talented bigs together like this before?

It's all fantasy land my dude. All we have is bunch of keyboard coaches who think that all you have to do is put em out on the floor and it will work itself out. Fans drawing up plays without having any understanding of what it means to actually implement them. Fact of the matter is that while it could work, it would take a complete overhaul of the offense. Different motions, different responsibilities, different roles, and all that just is not worth it when you can simply rotate the bigs and run the same sets that got you to the Elite 8.

Let me ask you brilliant coaches a question. If this set would be successful, if it wasn't difficult to implement, then why was it not used for even a single second last season? Why did those three NEVER see the floor together? Surely a lineup so advantageous should have been on the court at least once, right?

Reborn
07-19-2015, 05:57 AM
One of the nicest things about this board, imo, is that we do get to play "coach" here, and it's fun. Afterall, this is just a discussion forum where we bring our ideas and share them, and discuss them with others. I enjoy it a lot. Personally, I do not see Gonzaga playing either Kyle Wilijer or Sabonis at the 3. I also don't like the idea of playing zone all the time, and I guess Few could use it at times and see how it worked out with the 3 big guys all playing together. I also feel that Dranginis is the perfect 3 in Few's system. We have three very good post players, and Sabonis will be able to pick up plenty of minutes subbing for Wiltjer and PK. It's great to see Sabonis getting this nice press, but the key to me is Kyle Wiltjer. He's a gem, and imo, our success will be determined by his play.

Jstock12
07-19-2015, 06:20 AM
Lithuania places 7th after a 77-70 win against Belgium. Sabonis with 19 points, 18 rebounds & 3 assists.

Training camp for the men's national team should start tomorrow.

Hoopaholic
07-19-2015, 07:46 AM
Now that you established that you can indeed come up with sets that use 3 bigs, how about you show me how that's relevant to Gonzaga in any way? How do those sets integrate with the current motions and sets Few likes? Has Few ever had used 3 talented bigs together like this before?

It's all fantasy land my dude. All we have is bunch of keyboard coaches who think that all you have to do is put em out on the floor and it will work itself out. Fans drawing up plays without having any understanding of what it means to actually implement them. Fact of the matter is that while it could work, it would take a complete overhaul of the offense. Different motions, different responsibilities, different roles, and all that just is not worth it when you can simply rotate the bigs and run the same sets that got you to the Elite 8.

Let me ask you brilliant coaches a question. If this set would be successful, if it wasn't difficult to implement, then why was it not used for even a single second last season? Why did those three NEVER see the floor together? Surely a lineup so advantageous should have been on the court at least once, right?

not sure we have ever had 3 exceptional BIGS on the team at one time in the past with this particular skill set, dominance and options

I guess we shall wait and see..........

mgadfly
07-19-2015, 07:56 AM

Has Few ever had four bigs as good as these?

Has Few ever had four bigs as good as these paired with guards as young as ours?

What does last year (no Edwards, more experienced guards and forwards) have to do with personnel decisions this year?

I think the closest I can remember during Fews years was the Turiaf Violette Gourde Fox seasons. And while ultimately the three guard lineup won out there was a lot of hand wringing early in the season about how to get all the big minutes. Few ran a lot more 23 zone then and early in the season three bigs were on the floor together for short intervals. Also, Wiltjer can play and guard the three spot in Fews system just like Morrison did his sophomore and junior seasons.

Was Fews offense worse when it had Morrison Mallon Batista up front?
Is Wiltjer Sabonis Karnowski somehow more limited in Fews system than those three together?

I really don't see much difference offensively in those two front lines. Fews system clearly has the sets to have two bigs and an athletically challenged forward on the floor at the same time even where the offense runs through that forward.

We may not like the sound of three bigs on the floor at once, but brace yourself it may in fact happen because there are solid arguments for it this year.

DixieZag
07-19-2015, 08:11 AM

So, wait, all us keyboard coaches know nothing (true for me, but not everyone here), but you, actually, do know something, at least enough to definitively put everyone else in their place?

ProjectMKUltra5
07-19-2015, 10:58 AM
not sure we have ever had 3 exceptional BIGS on the team at one time in the past with this particular skill set, dominance and options

I guess we shall wait and see..........

Well we had 3 exceptional bigs on the team last year......

Never mind 2013 when Olynyk, Harris, and Dower wrecked the whole country with their high-lo post game. In your scenario those 3 would literally be interchangeable AND Harris was far more of a threat to play the 3 then any of our current bigs, yet, still didn't happen.

willandi
07-19-2015, 11:28 AM
So, wait, all us keyboard coaches know nothing (true for me, but not everyone here), but you, actually, do know something, at least enough to definitively put everyone else in their place?

Please. No questions, comments or independant thought.

ProjectMKUltra5
07-19-2015, 07:41 PM
Please. No questions, comments or independant thought.

http://media2.giphy.com/media/Fml0fgAxVx1eM/giphy.gif

Zagdawg
07-20-2015, 09:30 AM
Jim Meehan retweeted

Scoutbasketball ‏@Scoutbasketball · 5h5 hours ago
Domas Sabonis @Dsabonis11 from @ZagMBB finished best rebounder #FIBAU20Europe averaging 13.2 rpg @ZagsGuru #beast http://scoutbasketball.com/ranking/EUROPEAN-U20-REBOUNDERS …

http://scoutbasketball.com/ranking/EUROPEAN-U20-REBOUNDERS

Zagdawg
07-20-2015, 09:31 AM
duplicate

TexasZagFan
07-20-2015, 10:00 AM

I never realized Donald Trump owned property in Medical Lake...

Zagdawg
07-20-2015, 10:12 AM
WCC Basketball ‏@WCChoops · 23m23 minutes ago
MBB | Domantas Sabonis of @ZagMBB with a strong #FIBAU20Europe tournament: 11.5 ppg, 13.2 rpg & 2.0 apg. #WCChoops

SLOZag
07-20-2015, 10:50 AM
Jim Meehan retweeted

Scoutbasketball ‏@Scoutbasketball · 5h5 hours ago
Domas Sabonis @Dsabonis11 from @ZagMBB finished best rebounder #FIBAU20Europe averaging 13.2 rpg @ZagsGuru #beast http://scoutbasketball.com/ranking/EUROPEAN-U20-REBOUNDERS …

http://scoutbasketball.com/ranking/EUROPEAN-U20-REBOUNDERS

This Scout Basketball site had some info I found interesting. There are only four kids playing ball at a U.S. college listed in the top 25 U-20 performers for 2014-15 (for points, for rebounds, and for assists):

Domas, who was # 23 in points scored and # 1 in rebounds,
Emmanuel Lecomte, a 5'11" Belgian pg at Baylor (incoming jr), who was # 1 in points scored and # 6 in assists,
Luke Nelson, a 6'2" UK pg at UC Irvine (incoming jr), who was # 9 in points scored and # 7 in assists, and
Kavell Bigby-Williams, a 6'9" UK pf at Montana State (incoming fr), who was # 21 in points scored and # 3 in rebounding

The site also shows how each player performed each year for his college.
My takeaway: No US college has gotten a better U-20 recruit at the U-20 recruiting sweepstakes than Gonzaga. Which I already suspected.
One caveat: This conclusion ignores the fact that those kids who got recruited by a US college and then ignored their national teams are overlooked on this web page.
Still, this is cool!

hooter73
07-20-2015, 11:16 AM
The averages are good and the better representation, but I wish the tweet to the rest of the WCC had have been his dominating point and rebound total from the game he went off in.

Something like: "Domas with a high of 18 points, 28 rebounds, 6 assists, 4 steals in one game. Thats right WCC, he comes off our bench! Enjoy!"

lol

CDC84
07-22-2015, 07:41 AM

A few possibilities:

1) Gonzaga had very different, experienced backcourt personnel last season, including one of the best players in the country in Pangos. The team had much greater outside shooting capacity than this team will, etc.

2) Sabonis was a freshman getting used to American basketball and a new system.

3) Wiltjer, however experienced he may have been, was new to the program.

4) Few didn't have Ryan Edwards last year as a 4th big man (who is also a 7 footer). If Few had started all 3 bigs, there wouldn't have been a backup big man coming off the pine. He's going to trust Edwards more this year than he did Nunez last year.

I would be very surprised if all 3 bigs aren't used at times this season. Depends on matchups.

BTW - contrary to what you may think, some of the people on this board are real basketball coaches. Now they may not get paid the big bucks like Few does to make these decisions....but they aren't exactly "armchair" coaches and strategists. Doesn't mean you have to agree with all their ideas, of course.

sittingon50
07-22-2015, 09:45 AM
I think #4 is key, CDC.

ProjectMKUltra5
07-22-2015, 01:50 PM
A few possibilities:

1) Gonzaga had very different, experienced backcourt personnel last season, including one of the best players in the country in Pangos. The team had much greater outside shooting capacity than this team will, etc.

2) Sabonis was a freshman getting used to American basketball and a new system.

3) Wiltjer, however experienced he may have been, was new to the program.

4) Few didn't have Ryan Edwards last year as a 4th big man (who is also a 7 footer). If Few had started all 3 bigs, there wouldn't have been a backup big man coming off the pine. He's going to trust Edwards more this year than he did Nunez last year.

I would be very surprised if all 3 bigs aren't used at times this season. Depends on matchups.

BTW - contrary to what you may think, some of the people on this board are real basketball coaches. Now they may not get paid the big bucks like Few does to make these decisions....but they aren't exactly "armchair" coaches and strategists. Doesn't mean you have to agree with all their ideas, of course.

1.) I kind of feel like that the respect people want to pay to Kevin and Gary is severely clouding people's expectations of what the new group will do. Experience is the most overrated aspect of college basketball, young players produce at a high level on a regular basis. Quite frankly I think it's rather insulting to the new group to think such a drastic change is needed to match last year's production.

2.) Can't argue with that.

3.) This one, I disagree with. Unlike Sabonis Kyle had already spent a year with the team and was plenty used to American ball. He took 26 shots against Georgia and the potential game winner against Arizona, he was plenty comfortable in his role with the team even early on.

4.) Yeah I'm not even talking about starting all 3, I'm talking just playing them. Ryan Edwards might explain why they didn't start together but he definitely doesn't explain them not ever playing together AT ALL. Edwards would not have made a difference if Few wanted to play those 3 for a couple token minutes just to try it. In 38 games there wasn't a single instance where it was fitting to play that lineup. 38 games worth of matchups and it still didn't happen. That's not because of Ryan Edwards it's because it doesn't make sense.

To your last point, I'm sure there are coaches who post here but I'm confident in saying that the vast majority of people advocating for this haven't coached a day in their life. At least not anything above their little girls soccer team. If they did they would they would understand that coaches only have a finite amount of time to work with their players. They have to make efficient use of their time and making a drastic, unorthodox change like this would not be an efficient use of time. Not when you can do very simple things that don't require big changes (rotating the bigs, letting the guards attack the rim more) and still reach a similar level of production.

Jstock12
07-22-2015, 04:42 PM
Domas has joined the men's team camp. That little guy behind him is Lithuania's most known masseur.

http://g2.dcdn.lt/images/pix/520x345/AwFathyOlkA/domantas-sabonis-68540932.jpg

http://www.basketnews.lt/paveikslelis-53500-bg2.jpg

zagamatic
07-22-2015, 04:54 PM
In regards to the inference that all 3 bigs were NEVER on the floor at the same time, I have to point out that I do specifically recall seeing all 3 on the floor briefly in at least one game last season. I believe it was at Pacific, but I'm not sure. And it was for probably less than a minute total. But it did happen. I'm not saying that I think that it'll happen again this year either. But I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were all out there at the same time.

bartruff1
07-22-2015, 07:06 PM
Kevin and Gary's (and Byron's for that matter) accomplishments are facts....in the record book....I am sure the new kids on the block will get all the credit they deserve... based upon their accomplishments ...... potential is one thing, but the proof is always in the pudding..

ZagNative
07-29-2015, 10:40 AM
Domas with 4 points and 7 rebounds in Lithuania's 80-68 win over Australia:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CLGhlYQWsAEo_YA.jpg

sittingon50
07-29-2015, 11:05 AM
21 minutes. Nice.

Jstock12
07-29-2015, 11:43 AM
He looked pretty good out there. Rematch against Australia is on July 31st.

jazzdelmar
07-29-2015, 12:19 PM
So he's in the rotation on the national team?

exclusivelee
07-29-2015, 12:34 PM
He looked pretty good out there. Rematch against Australia is on July 31st.

Arturas Gudaitis also looked good though. Sounds like he and Domas may be competing for a final spot in the frontcourt. Gudaitis was drafted to the NBA this year

His highlight from today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3D-YCgnP_8

Highlights from last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KOMevYoZfE

BULLDOG#1
07-29-2015, 03:08 PM

Nonsense.

Thank you MKUltra for being the voice of reason.

Jstock12
07-30-2015, 01:57 AM
So he's in the rotation on the national team?

Only the first exhibition game, coach was trying out some younger players. Judging from what coach Kazlauskas is saying, Domas might not have as good of a shot to make the team as I thought. :(

„Manau, kad Domantas dar neatsiskleidė iki galo. Mes tikimės, kad jis mums padės bent jau treniruotėse, tačiau viskas dar prieš akis“, – pažymėjo Kazlauskas."
Rough translation: "I think that Domantas hasn't showed his all yet. We're hoping that he'll at least be able to help us out in practices, I think everything still lies ahead for this kid."

Which doesn't necessarily mean he won't make the team, but this talk about him being a part of the team's future may suggest he's not likely to be chosen over Gudaitis. Or at least in coach's mind he may not be ready just yet for such high level of competition to face guys like Pau Gasol, Rudy Gobert, Boris Diaw, Nowitzki etc.

Zagdawg
07-30-2015, 08:14 AM
That works- someone else letting him know that he needs more development before he jumps to the next level.

Jstock12
07-30-2015, 08:47 AM
That works- someone else letting him know that he needs more development before he jumps to the next level.

Not sure if this was posted already, but his dad also told the media a few days ago that Domas still needs to work a lot. He complemented his son for his rebounding and court-vision, but aside from that he was somewhat critical of him saying that his son still needs to work hard on everything else, which I loved. Domas really seems like a kid who wants to prove something to his father and reading words like these could be a good motivation for him.

MDABE80
07-30-2015, 11:09 AM
Domas had an unexpectedly great first year. Sorta like Elias, we and the media heaped praise on him......"1st rounder and all that". I'd really like to see more development.....he needs it. Only till mid sept (6 weeks) till the kids hit the court again. Off season is steadily shortening. I'm always a bit frighten by the chance of injury when playing for the "home teams". Id DOmas doesn't make the Euro squad, in my mind this isn't all bad.

I wish we had a clock that counts down till we tip.

Zagceo
07-30-2015, 11:10 AM
Not sure if this was posted already, but his dad also told the media a few days ago that Domas still needs to work a lot. He complemented his son for his rebounding and court-vision, but aside from that he was somewhat critical of him saying that his son still needs to work hard on everything else, which I loved. Domas really seems like a kid who wants to prove something to his father and reading words like these could be a good motivation for him.

Great BTS info……Thanks Jstock

cjm720
07-30-2015, 11:24 AM

At last year's pre-season tip off dinner in Seattle, Tommy said Domas is obsessed with film and things to work on. The comment I remember Tommy saying, and I'm paraphrasing, "let's concentrate on the good stuff you do."

Jstock12
07-31-2015, 10:18 AM
Domas has outplayed Gudaitis today with 7 points, 8 rebounds and 2 assists.

ZagNative
07-31-2015, 10:34 AM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ShUr_8FrHxk/Vbu_bFAxJvI/AAAAAAACjoM/HYOuj6jfSm8/s512-Ic42/2015-07-31%252520Domantas%252520Sabonis%252520Australia%25 2520box%252520score.jpg.jpg

TexasZagFan
07-31-2015, 11:04 AM
Domas had an unexpectedly great first year. Sorta like Elias, we and the media heaped praise on him......"1st rounder and all that". I'd really like to see more development.....he needs it. Only till mid sept (6 weeks) till the kids hit the court again. Off season is steadily shortening. I'm always a bit frighten by the chance of injury when playing for the "home teams". Id DOmas doesn't make the Euro squad, in my mind this isn't all bad.

I wish we had a clock that counts down till we tip.

When's our first game? I've already set up one timer for when I retire. The problem is that date keeps getting pushed back. At least it's still in triple digits...high triple digits.

exclusivelee
07-31-2015, 12:12 PM
http://www.nbadraft.net/under-20-european-championships-top-prospects

Under 20 European Championships: Top Prospects

By Eric_Guilleminault
Thu, 07/30/2015 - 7:52am

Mid First Rounder:

Domantas Sabonis (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/domantas-sabonis), 1996, Gonzaga via Lithuania PF/ C:

Sabonis after a strong showing at the Nike Skills academy continued his strong summer leading the tournament in rebounding averaging 13.2 per game and double doubles with 5. He also broke the tournament record by grabbing 28 rebounds in a single game. The unquestionable leader of the Lithuanian team this experience should help his growth as performance expectations in Spokane are much greater entering his sophomore season. -EG

Jstock12
07-31-2015, 03:22 PM
An interesting post-game interview by Lithuanian coach. He was saying that he liked how both Jankunas and Sabonis looked at the PF spot. He also admitted that he doesn't view Gudaitis as a potential PF candidate. More of a C.

Since Lithuania is pretty much stacked at the C spot with Valanciunas/Kavaliauskas/Javtokas, Gudaitis may not make the team. It's now on Sabonis to prove that playing him at the back-up PF spot is a better alternative than going small and making natural SFs like Maciulis/Kuzminskas play at that position.

Honestly, I can't figure out for sure what's on our coach's mind. One day it seems like Domas is only good for practices, the other day it seems like he has a legit chance at making it to the final squad.

Zags_Fanatic
07-31-2015, 05:42 PM
Domas has outplayed Gudaitis today with 7 points, 8 rebounds and 2 assists.

More importantly, he outplayed Delly :)

ZagNative
08-01-2015, 12:34 PM
I liked this pic...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9pNhPuNG6ME/Vb0FK_H-lDI/AAAAAAACjrQ/8N49jWJXGDc/s720-Ic42/92a583a59ae692e7ec5cfa2cbf3d170c.jpg

Jstock12
08-01-2015, 03:55 PM
I liked this pic...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9pNhPuNG6ME/Vb0FK_H-lDI/AAAAAAACjrQ/8N49jWJXGDc/s720-Ic42/92a583a59ae692e7ec5cfa2cbf3d170c.jpg

I prefer the photo where he seems to be "man-handling" Andrew Bogut :D

http://i.imgur.com/FUGejEW.png

Zagdawg
08-01-2015, 04:12 PM
Giving Delly the look.........

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh559/zagdawg/Sabonis.png (http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/zagdawg/media/Sabonis.png.html)

hooter73
08-01-2015, 08:26 PM
Giving Delly the look.........

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh559/zagdawg/Sabonis.png (http://s1251.photobucket.com/user/zagdawg/media/Sabonis.png.html)

YEEEUS! That is AWESOME LOL

webspinnre
08-01-2015, 08:38 PM
I prefer the photo where he seems to be "man-handling" Andrew Bogut :D

http://i.imgur.com/FUGejEW.png

Fantastic.

ZagMan in Philly
08-02-2015, 03:59 PM
YEEEUS! That is AWESOME LOL

Delly tried to defend D.S. in the post...

http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/2015/08/matthew-dellavedova-gets-in-scuffle-with-domantas-sabonis-in-australia-lithuania-friendly/

Zagdawg
08-02-2015, 04:57 PM
"There was also a little fire in the match with Bogut and Dellavedova clashing with Lithuanian opponents in the second half although it was more out of frustration than anything malicious."

Not sure how good the Australian team is supposed to be--but good to see Sabonis having success.

SageOfZagville
08-02-2015, 09:15 PM
You can watch the full game here. Lithuanian announcers.

http://www.basketball.net.au/lemanis-finds-positives-boomers-loss-lithuania/

Domas comes in at the 21:51 mark of the video.

He misses his first lay up, but at the 28:30 mark, he hits a sweet jumper from the corner.
He has a nice block at the 30:00 min mark

He started the second half and played a good deal. Had two nice power moves inside and a freethrow.

He is a rebounding machine.

Box score http://www.basketball.net.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/LIE-AUS.pdf

If you listen to the Lithuanian Announcer, he kept calling Brock Motem - Brockus Motemus. ;)

Ezag
08-03-2015, 10:25 AM
Sabonis is a beast. I don't see how he's not part of the first 5 for the Zags this year

Zagdawg
08-03-2015, 02:20 PM
3 Very good bigs that all bring something different to the table---doesn't matter who starts they will all contribute to the standard Zag 3 big rotation.

The opposing team will be able to more easily match up defensively against Sabonis over Karno --- it does not make sense to make it easier on the opposing team to start off the game.

Not too many teams have the horses to slow Karno.

Our bigs are our strength --- nothing wrong with that-- give our guards time to mature in the Zag system.

OZZY
08-03-2015, 10:14 PM
"There was also a little fire in the match with Bogut and Dellavedova clashing with Lithuanian opponents in the second half although it was more out of frustration than anything malicious."

Not sure how good the Australian team is supposed to be--but good to see Sabonis having success.

That is pretty strong Australian side, with at least four NBA players and several who have been on NBA rosters. Anderson has played NBA before and Newley plays for the same ACB team that KP is going to play on this year. Missing are Patty Mills, Ingles, Exum and Baynes.

Mojo13
08-04-2015, 11:57 AM
That is pretty strong Australian side, with at least four NBA players and several who have been on NBA rosters. Anderson has played NBA before and Newley plays for the same ACB team that KP is going to play on this year. Missing are Patty Mills, Ingles, Exum and Baynes.

Australia has not looked good in any game so far. They lost to Slovenia as well yesterday. Very week back court with Delly and Exum together. They badly need Patty Mills.

ZagNative
08-08-2015, 09:34 AM
Lithuania leading Finland 63-57, with 7:38 left in the fourth. Live Stats here (http://live.baskethotel.com/lkf/). Domantas with 8 points and 7 rebounds.

ZagNative
08-08-2015, 09:56 AM
Lithuania wins it, 78-71. Sabonis with 8 points and 8 rebounds.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-tmL6uezwLwo/VcZB6LPksoI/AAAAAAACkNI/cgjuNyWSgTE/s576-Ic42/2015-08-08%252520Domantas%252520Sabonis%252520Slovenia.jpg

ZagNative
08-08-2015, 11:40 AM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-iMAcvcoy00w/VcZajgmVrQI/AAAAAAACkNY/Hq4mQtW-9YQ/s683-Ic42/2015-08-08%252520Domantas%252520Sabonis%252520twitter.jpg

Jstock12
08-09-2015, 02:50 AM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-iMAcvcoy00w/VcZajgmVrQI/AAAAAAACkNY/Hq4mQtW-9YQ/s683-Ic42/2015-08-08%252520Domantas%252520Sabonis%252520twitter.jpg

It's really surprising to me how well his rebounding is translating to a high level of competition that is the men's national team. It's like he's playing in a U-Tournament... Averaging 7.6 rebounds in what, 20-25mpg? The way he played yesterday, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he makes the team, which would be awesome.

Jstock12
08-09-2015, 02:57 AM
Lithuania wins it, 78-71. Sabonis with 8 points and 8 rebounds.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-tmL6uezwLwo/VcZB6LPksoI/AAAAAAACkNI/cgjuNyWSgTE/s576-Ic42/2015-08-08%252520Domantas%252520Sabonis%252520Slovenia.jpg

Interesting stat from the boxscore - Lithuanian leader Kalnietis still rusty on offense, but dishing out those assists like it's nothing, 11 assists in 17 minutes :)

Jstock12
08-11-2015, 01:22 PM
Domas' highlights against Finland by a Lithuanian member Dziugas, who's not activated yet ;-)

https://youtu.be/k8nthbANvhE

hooter73
08-11-2015, 01:45 PM
Hmm, using contact well to get to the line if nothing else. Ive often wondered how dangerous it is for a player going back and forth between different styles of play with being able to knock the ball of the rim or after its on the downward arc of a shot and then coming back to the NCAA rules and just being in automatic mode of being able to block or pull down that type of shot and being called for a goal tending.

GonzagasaurusFlex
08-11-2015, 06:32 PM
Domas' highlights against Finland by a Lithuanian member Dziugas, who's not activated yet ;-)

https://youtu.be/k8nthbANvhE

Thanks JStocks, great highlights. Domas with a clutch 3 pt play late in 4th quarter and big offensive rebound. The fact he's playing in crunch time and making key plays to secure the win is a Good sign he will make the final roster.

DixieZag
08-11-2015, 07:30 PM
Hmm, using contact well to get to the line if nothing else. Ive often wondered how dangerous it is for a player going back and forth between different styles of play with being able to knock the ball of the rim or after its on the downward arc of a shot and then coming back to the NCAA rules and just being in automatic mode of being able to block or pull down that type of shot and being called for a goal tending.

Excellent question.

One would think that the timing would be off a little, so much is instinct on where to be as the shot is at the top of its arc.

Jstock12
08-11-2015, 07:43 PM

Excellent question. One would think that the timing would be off a little, so much is instinct on where to be as the shot is at the top of its arc.

Would you guys be for or against making it legal in NCAA/NBA as well?

willandi
08-11-2015, 07:46 PM

I'm usually not in favor of judgement calls, but I don't think allowing the ball to be interfered with on the rim or on the downward arc is right.I think that might be harder to get right than simply if the ball is going up or has started down.

I say NO!

Jstock12
08-12-2015, 08:52 AM
Domas has just swished a three pointer like it's nothing.

Zagceo
08-12-2015, 09:11 AM
Domas has just swished a three pointer like it's nothing.

Link?

ZagNative
08-12-2015, 09:28 AM
Live Stats (http://live.baskethotel.com/lkf/). Lithuania leads at the half 45-34, Domas with 4 points and 3 rebounds.

Jstock12
08-12-2015, 09:29 AM
http://www.delfi.lt/video/sporto-tv/rungtynes/stebekite-draugisku-krepsinio-rungtyniu-lietuva-austrija-tiesiogine-transliacija.d?id=68471274

Second half is about to start.

Jstock12
08-12-2015, 09:30 AM
Valanciunas playing (12 points, 8 rebounds in the first half) might affect Domas' stats a little bit, but he's still doing a lot of dirty work that doesn't show up in the statsheet.

DixieZag
08-12-2015, 09:31 AM
I'm usually not in favor of judgement calls, but I don't think allowing the ball to be interfered with on the rim or on the downward arc is right.I think that might be harder to get right than simply if the ball is going up or has started down.

I say NO!

I've never really sat down and watched an international game to tell if I'd like it or not, kind of the same with being able to inbound the ball immediately without an official tossing it over.

My gut tells me "no" - the peach basket was meant to be well over that which people could jump up and mess with shots, a shooter ought to have a chance for the shot to go in.

hooter73
08-12-2015, 09:52 AM

As a tall guy myself I would love it. I'd feel like I was just padding my own stats and asserting my dominance against the guards who you usually get smoked by and have little you can do against them. As a fan of the game though, I think its a terrible "rule" or allowance. It is a bit subjective but to me interfering after the ball has broken the apex seems unpure somehow.

Jstock12
08-12-2015, 09:55 AM
As a tall guy myself I would love it. I'd feel like I was just padding my own stats and asserting my dominance against the guards who you usually get smoked by and have little you can do against them. As a fan of the game though, I think its a terrible "rule" or allowance. It is a bit subjective but to me interfering after the ball has broken the apex seems unpure somehow.

Interfering with the ball when it's going down before hitting the rim is still goaltending in Europe. You can only interfere when it's on the rim.

ZagNative
08-12-2015, 09:56 AM
From Twitter:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9X89ttlXhM8/VcuICPrLX3I/AAAAAAACkN0/rL8X2wF3dI8/s652-Ic42/2015-08-12%252520Domantas%252520Sabonis.jpg

Zagceo
08-12-2015, 10:12 AM
http://www.delfi.lt/video/sporto-tv/rungtynes/stebekite-draugisku-krepsinio-rungtyniu-lietuva-austrija-tiesiogine-transliacija.d?id=68471274

Second half is about to start.

Thanks for the link

Question Jstock

The floor seems slick but the graphics I'm seeing on the court to me are just that graphics produced by computers and only visible on television.

Don't like to see any Zags play on slick courts. Remember UCLA game.

Jstock12
08-12-2015, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the link

Question Jstock

The floor seems slick but the graphics I'm seeing on the court to me are just that graphics produced by computers and only visible on television.

Don't like to see any Zags play on slick courts. Remember UCLA game.

Sorry I'm not sure I understood the question, could you perhaps rephrase it? :) But it's a relatively new arena and the court should be in good condition, and I don't think they would play the game if there was any serious risk of injury. It's just an exhibition game after all, they wouldn't want to risk injuring their star players.

IowaSERE
08-12-2015, 10:24 AM
Nice block by DS at the end of regulation.

ZagNative
08-12-2015, 10:26 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CMOmnZtUcAAWoZH.jpg

Zagceo
08-12-2015, 10:36 AM
Sorry I'm not sure I understood the question, could you perhaps rephrase it? :) But it's a relatively new arena and the court should be in good condition, and I don't think they would play the game if there was any serious risk of injury. It's just an exhibition game after all, they wouldn't want to risk injuring their star players.

The painted key area seemed to be slick and your response of it being a new arena could be the answer. The mops on both ends of the court worked hard keeping floor dry. My guess is the court is slick because of the type of paint or clear coat finish on top.

ZagNative
08-12-2015, 11:23 AM
From twitter:

Donatas Urbonas ‏@Urbodo

Also, it was so hot in the arena and the court was so slippery that coach Kazlauskas wanted to stop the game with 5 minutes left of the 4Q

Zagceo
08-12-2015, 11:39 AM
From twitter:

Explains it. Thanks

Bogozags
08-12-2015, 11:43 AM

I say NO!

I favor the FIBA rules regarding basket interference as the NCAA interpretation is a little skewed...just ask the SMU team that got hosed on that call...

IMO if the rest of the world uses FIBA rules, then we should adapt too. Both NCAA and NBA should just change over...In fact, FIBA has made several adjustments over the years, they use to allow throw-ins on the sidelines w/o the refs touching the ball and their foul lanes now conformed to NCAA widths. It would also make it easier for US officials to call international games, if everyone used the same rules...I believe James Naismith would be in favor too...

Mojo13
08-12-2015, 02:26 PM
I favor the FIBA rules regarding basket interference as the NCAA interpretation is a little skewed...just ask the SMU team that got hosed on that call...

IMO if the rest of the world uses FIBA rules, then we should adapt too. Both NCAA and NBA should just change over...In fact, FIBA has made several adjustments over the years, they use to allow throw-ins on the sidelines w/o the refs touching the ball and their foul lanes now conformed to NCAA widths. It would also make it easier for US officials to call international games, if everyone used the same rules...I believe James Naismith would be in favor too...

Well you got to be careful what you ask for and also ask yourself why there is a difference in the first place. FIBA is a very rough an ugly game relative to the modern NBA..

FIBA is slower, shorter game with lower scoring, and much, much rougher. Defensive three in the key allowed, illegal screens allowed, cheap shots are aplenty (ask Rudy Gay and Demarcus Cousins how much they enjoyed an endless barrage Lithuanian elbows to the face last year).

Since the ugly 90s the NBA has pushed to free it up its stars, to celebrate the athleticism of its best players in a quest to create an exciting game. The rest of the world, knowing it can never compete with the uber-athleticism of US players has embraced a slowed down, rough game, a more team oriented game and more reliant on outside shooting (shorter three point line). The intent is to hamper and control the individual athleticism of the US that would otherwise completely overwhelm them. As of late the US just has too much firepower and can overcome the FIBA rules (taking the tournaments seriously over the last decade has helped). FIBA seems to be moving a bit to speed up the game but there is a long way to close the gap.

Jstock12
08-12-2015, 02:30 PM
Well you got to be careful what you ask for and also ask yourself why there is a difference in the first place. FIBA is a very rough an ugly game relative to the modern NBA..

FIBA is slower, lower scoring, and much, much rougher. Defensive three in the key allowed, illegal screens allowed, cheap shots are aplenty (ask Rudy Gay and Demarcus Cousins how much they enjoyed and endless barrage Lithuanian elbows to the face last year).

Since the ugly 90s the NBA has pushed to free it up its stars, to celebrate the athleticism of its best players in a quest to create an exciting game. The rest of the world, knowing it can never compete with the uber-athleticism of US players has embraced a slowed down, rough game, a more team oriented game and more reliant on outside shooting (shorter three point line). The intent is to hamper and control the individual athleticism of the US that would otherwise completely overwhelm them. As of late the US just has too much firepower and can overcome the FIBA rules (taking the tournaments seriously over the last decade has helped). FIBA seems to be moving a bit to speed up the game but there is a long way to close the gap.

Good post, I think I agree. However I'd like to add that I do not think that being rough is necessarily to do with being malicious, it's just a pretty physical game, but with good sportsmanship.

Mojo13
08-13-2015, 08:17 AM
Good post, I think I agree. However I'd like to add that I do not think that being rough is necessarily to do with being malicious, it's just a pretty physical game, but with good sportsmanship.

Not to pick on Lithuania in particular - I just remember that game quite clearly. The USA players seemed quite shocked at the physicality under the hoop and the Lithuanians were "What? This is part of the game!". Rudy Gay even had his jaw broken in that game (no foul called!).
I remember the 2006 Worlds when Tim Duncan was so disgusted with the FIBA reffing and uncalled physicality he vowed never to play FIBA again. He said he didn't want to risk his career.

NBA players and fans of the NBA are always quite shocked to see it - most of the roughhousing is uncalled.

Perhaps that is why there is even flopping in the NBA now - I think guys like Harden and CP3 have learned from Rudy Fernandez and other Latin players that the only way to get a call is to look like you just got shot!

Americans have this ignorant image of Euro players as being "soft" (maybe it is because of a few whiny floppers like Rudy). For the most part Euro players in the NBA may not be as athletic as many U.S. athletes but most of them are pretty tough hombres - especially the big men.

As I recall for the first few games of Sabonis at GU he ran into foul trouble quite regularly as he struggled with getting called for what he believed was routine bumping and grinding under the hoop.

Bogozags
08-13-2015, 08:54 AM
First, the NBA only makes certain calls too...there is no "3seconds" even if they are in the lane five or six seconds and traveling is another one they don't call. We must remember that the NBA is not basketball but rather an entertainment modality. The NCAA and FIBA are still basketball games, where preference isn't given to "star players" unlike the NBA, that allows its "stars" preferential treatment. Why? Because the NBA is all about entertaining the fans and not about the "purity of the game."

FIBA does allow a rough game, which I do not like BUT the NBA also allows rough play and has ever since the "Bad Boys of Detroit" of the early 90's. Heck, NCAA and NBA are not consistent on calling illegal screens either. As far as playing uptempo, that is a TEAM philosophy and you must have the players to run and gun...Brazil was just outstanding in an uptempo game...can't argue with the US having more athletes than the rest of the world...basketball is the #1 participation sport in the country, where football (soccer) is the #1 in the rest of the world! Europe/South America are slowly but surely catching up to the US as many national teams have quality personnel that play in the NBA and we see more and more being lottery draft picks.

I don't like the NBA and have not for decades as it went from being a game of basketball to just another form of entertainment.

It would be nice to have rules standardized and the FIBA 3-point line would be fair to all concerned. Four 10-12 minute quarters with five minute overtime periods. An eight second violation for not advancing the ball across half court and where a timeout doesn't restart the count. Doing away with all the strange rules the NBA has such as calling a time out after a basket allows the team to have a sideline throw-in in the front court. Goal tending in the NCAA and NBA are different depending on if the ball was touched before or after it touches the "glass."

I am fine with the college rules as they are listed in the rule book...if NCAA wanted to incorporate FIBA rules then that works for me too! I know the NCAA and NBA will never adopt FIBA rules but if I were the World Basketball Commissioner, with absolute power then we might see a change...until that position is established and I am elected, we will just have to live with the two sets of rules governing the game of basketball. The only major power in the world choosing to drive on the "wrong side of the road" is England and it doesn't appear they are going to change their laws to accommodate the rest of the world...:)

cdools
08-13-2015, 09:06 AM
The FIBA game has actually changed a few rules in recent years to make it closer to the NBA game; 24 second clock from 30, wider key, 8 seconds in back court, technical foul is one shot and the ball, charge/block line. I would like to see the NBA, NCAA incorporate some FIBA rules, mostly to reward the defence:
1. time outs only from bench on a dead ball- stop bailing out a guy who dribbles into a trap with a timeout
2. inbounds from front court must go into front court only
3. technical fouls count as personals-NBA
4. NBA- possession arrow instead of jump ball

ZagNative
08-17-2015, 10:24 AM
Lithuania comfortably ahead over Turkey, 86-70, with 2 minutes left in the fourth. Live Stats (http://live.baskethotel.com/lkf/)

ZagNative
08-17-2015, 10:33 AM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-sV2pFW7E9I8/VdIsGsWSQaI/AAAAAAACkPQ/OYzmE5HBHHI/s800-Ic42/2015-08-17%252520domantas%252520sabonis.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-gv8IGlt7Mko/VdIopYxaGNI/AAAAAAACkPE/Fb1Y0Bij8Xk/s512-Ic42/2015-08-17%252520Sabonis%252520turkey-1.jpg

DixieZag
08-17-2015, 10:58 AM
That Lithuanian team shares the ball. Look at the point distribution. Reminds me of some of our best games throughout this last year.

Jstock12
08-17-2015, 11:41 AM
That Lithuanian team shares the ball. Look at the point distribution. Reminds me of some of our best games throughout this last year.

That's the only way for us to win, always has been. Since the days of Sabonis/Marciulionis we never really have any truly great individual players on the level of team USA. If we win, we win as a team :-)

Not sure if it will interest you, but here's a highlight video of one of our greatest comeback wins, against a basketball powerhouse Spain (from 2010). That year we didn't have all of ours leaders basically, a lot of no names at that time with only a few established players, yet managed to take bronze somehow in the World Championship. And I agree, Few & Gonzaga are doing something very similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69PTjI4aayE

Bogozags
08-17-2015, 12:25 PM
That's the only way for us to win, always has been. Since the days of Sabonis/Marciulionis we never really have any truly great individual players on the level of team USA. If we win, we win as a team :-)

Not sure if it will interest you, but here's a highlight video of one of our greatest comeback wins, against a basketball powerhouse Spain (from 2010). That year we didn't have all of ours leaders basically, a lot of no names at that time with only a few established players, yet managed to take bronze somehow in the World Championship. And I agree, Few & Gonzaga are doing something very similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69PTjI4aayE

Really nice comeback...was this a tournament or an exhibition game?

Jstock12
08-17-2015, 12:50 PM
Really nice comeback...was this a tournament or an exhibition game?

World Championship, Group stage :-)

DixieZag
08-17-2015, 01:05 PM
World Championship, Group stage :-)

I really enjoyed that, thanks for sharing it.

There must be a lot of good youth coaches in your country.

Jstock12
08-17-2015, 01:18 PM
I really enjoyed that, thanks for sharing it.

There must be a lot of good youth coaches in your country.

There's a joke floating around in Lithuania that there are 3 million basketball coaches here (entire Lithuanian population) haha. But that's just irony, because a lot of people love the game and are very invested into it so that they constantly criticize actual coaches. But jokes aside, I think that coaches might be a strength because I notice that our players usually have good fundamentals and are team oriented from young age. I guess that has a downside as well, not a lot of exceptionally individually skilled players, or the ones that can improvise well...

Sabonis Jr though, was a product of a Spanish basketball school, which is one of the strongest in Europe as well along with former Yugoslavian countries like Serbia, Croatia.

krii
08-18-2015, 05:45 AM
There's a joke floating around in Lithuania that there are 3 million basketball coaches here (entire Lithuanian population) haha. But that's just irony, because a lot of people love the game and are very invested into it so that they constantly criticize actual coaches. But jokes aside, I think that coaches might be a strength because I notice that our players usually have good fundamentals and are team oriented from young age. I guess that has a downside as well, not a lot of exceptionally individually skilled players, or the ones that can improvise well...

Sabonis Jr though, was a product of a Spanish basketball school, which is one of the strongest in Europe as well along with former Yugoslavian countries like Serbia, Croatia.

Back in Poland everybody are football (soccer) coaches ;-D Damn, you guys are so lucky with that many good player around. We're bouncing back but it's still just average-to-good level.

ps.is Lithuanian very hard to learn for foreigner?;-)

Jstock12
08-18-2015, 06:23 AM
Back in Poland everybody are football (soccer) coaches ;-D Damn, you guys are so lucky with that many good player around. We're bouncing back but it's still just average-to-good level.

ps.is Lithuanian very hard to learn for foreigner?;-)

Thanks man! I still remember that 2009 EuroBasket... Good game by you ;-) I don't know if Lithuanian is hard to learn to be honest, probably a little harder than Russian ;-)

DixieZag
08-18-2015, 07:27 AM
3 Million people is basically the population of the Seattle area. For a nation of that size to be beating Spain and have that many players is impressive.

Jstock12
08-18-2015, 07:37 AM

A little off-topic, well maybe not completely. It seems like eastsideballer's son, Ryan Nicholas, is heading to Spain and will become a teammate of Domas' brother, Tautvydas Sabonis.

Congrats to Ryan! I'm here in Spain as well. It definitely beats the Lithuanian weather!

Zagceo
08-18-2015, 07:38 AM
Bosnia sure likes its Basketball U16 celebration 50,000 show up.

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/ceo_500/Screen%20Shot%202015-08-18%20at%208.32.00%20AM_zpsgwndgbrk.png

LINK (http://www.bosniatoday.ba/50000-people-greeted-young-european-champions/)

Jstock12
08-18-2015, 07:45 AM
Bosnia sure likes its Basketball U16 celebration 50,000 show up.

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/ceo_500/Screen%20Shot%202015-08-18%20at%208.32.00%20AM_zpsgwndgbrk.png

LINK (http://www.bosniatoday.ba/50000-people-greeted-young-european-champions/)

http://i.imgur.com/1AtaLXQ.png

Jstock12
08-18-2015, 09:48 AM
Domas with 0 points, 8 rebounds & 1 assist in 11:47 minutes of play so far.

ZagNative
08-18-2015, 10:24 AM
Box Score (http://live.baskethotel.com/lkf/)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Z9CTDHbVR2o/VdN-DRX1wfI/AAAAAAACkQc/njK6ZzkKGtI/s720-Ic42/2015-08-18%252520domantas%252520sabonis%252520macedonia-1.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-rFm4T1q_ih8/VdN3oiATp0I/AAAAAAACkQM/eF8GFsfPPTE/s512-Ic42/2015-18r%252520domantas%252520sabonis%252520macedonia.j pg

hooter73
08-18-2015, 11:22 AM
Only three shot attempts and 3 guys with double digits, 1 with nine points, with all those rebounds I'm guessing it was a guard centric game this time.

Jstock12
08-18-2015, 11:32 AM
Only three shot attempts and 3 guys with double digits, 1 with nine points, with all those rebounds I'm guessing it was a guard centric game this time.

No player shot more than 6 times though so it was a pretty equal FGA distribution. Also, I think coach has a specific role for Domas - something like a rebounding energy big who also defends and hustles.