PDA

View Full Version : OT - Let the Kentucky exodus begin: top 7 scorers gone

CDC84
04-09-2015, 01:24 PM
The most in the Calipari era:

Karl-Anthony Towns (freshman) (#1 Draftexpress.com)
Devin Booker (freshman) (#17 Draftexpress.com)
Trey Lyles (freshman) (#19 Draftexpress.com)
Dakari Johnson (sophomore) (#38 Draftexpress.com)
Andrew Harrison (sophomore) (#53 Draftexpress.com)
Aaron Harrison (sophomore) (not on Draftexpress.com mock list...even for 2016)
Willie Cauley-Stein (junior) (#6 Draftexpress.com)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2015/story/_/id/12655548/kentucky-wildcats-lose-top-seven-scorers-nba-draft

It wouldn't surprise me if the Harrison twins don't get drafted. It also wouldn't surprise me if their departure, despite what he claims, was encouraged by Calipari in order to free up room for guards who can actually run a halfcourt offense.

jazzdelmar
04-09-2015, 01:28 PM
The sleaze goes on. Of course he nudged the Harrisons out the gym door. He has better coming in.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
04-09-2015, 01:29 PM
The sleaze goes on. Of course he nudged the Harrisons out the gym door. He has better coming in.

Why "sleaze?" If we could get guys like that to Gonzaga, we'd all be ecstatic.

CDC84
04-09-2015, 01:32 PM
I don't think Few would touch the Harrison twins if his life depended on it......

Karl-Anthony Towns on the other hand.........

thegloriousgoateeofKP
04-09-2015, 01:35 PM
I don't think Few would touch the Harrison twins if his life depended on it......

Karl-Anthony Towns on the other hand.........

Fair.

Did he/we have any idea Austin Daye would turn out the way he did?

MickMick
04-09-2015, 01:37 PM
Sure you can win championships with freshman. They just need to be as offensively proficient as Okafor, Winslow, and Jones. Athletic rim protectors can give a consistent presence, but championship potential requires offensive skills as well.

This is the plain truth. Wiltjer would have put that UK team over the top.

CDC84
04-09-2015, 01:44 PM
Fair.

Did he/we have any idea Austin Daye would turn out the way he did?

Not sure what you mean by this. I saw Austin play in HS, and I knew immediately that he was going to be a NBA first rounder, but that it would take more than one year. The staff probably did as well.

It's worth noting that the majority of UK guys who are leaving aren't freshmen.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Harrison twins don't get drafted. I've seen more than a few NBA execs say that they wouldn't touch either one, even if they were still available at the back end of the 2nd round. They should've considered transferring to another D-1 school.

gonzagafan62
04-09-2015, 01:49 PM
I just don't understand why Aaron Harrison would leave if he is on ZERO draft boards.

DixieZag
04-09-2015, 01:50 PM
Not sure what you mean by this. I saw Austin play in HS, and I knew immediately that he was going to be a NBA first rounder, but that it would take more than one year. The staff probably did as well.

It's worth noting that the majority of UK guys who are leaving aren't freshmen.

I thought Austin stayed two years, and people wanted him to stay the third, kind of like Morrison.

It is the surprise that he left when he did that leaves a tiny sour taste in some people's mouths - though it absolutely worked out for him.

I thought he was a great player, maybe a little more out for himself than we're used to. But, that's an occupational hazard when one gets such talent...as we might see after next year.

CDC84
04-09-2015, 01:54 PM
I thought Austin stayed two years, and people wanted him to stay the third, kind of like Morrison.

He stayed two years. I'm just saying that I didn't think he would be a one and doner when I saw him in HS.

I still believe with every ounce of my soul that he would be a better player in the NBA had he stayed at GU another year. But it's hard to pass up the money, I know.

DixieZag
04-09-2015, 02:08 PM
He stayed two years. I'm just saying that I didn't think he would be a one and doner when I saw him in HS.

I still believe with every ounce of my soul that he would be a better player in the NBA had he stayed at GU another year. But it's hard to pass up the money, I know.

I believe you.

What I meant by proving us wrong was simply that many here didn't think he'd go anywhere near as high as he did. I am not the basketball person that you and others are but I certainly see how spending another year - maybe learning more how to play like a big would have helped him. He had a great shot, skills.

VaBeachZAG
04-09-2015, 02:23 PM

I specifically recall that someone on this board indicated at the time that his father had a lot to do with his leaving early. I believe the thought was that any additional development could be achieved while a pro.

U Zig, I Zag
04-09-2015, 02:47 PM
I just don't understand why Aaron Harrison would leave if he is on ZERO draft boards.

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/images/upload/Parent-Trap-Poster-web.jpg

This way, they both get drafted.

TexasZagFan
04-09-2015, 03:06 PM
Sure you can win championships with freshman. They just need to be as offensively proficient as Okafor, Winslow, and Jones. Athletic rim protectors can give a consistent presence, but championship potential requires offensive skills as well.

This is the plain truth. Wiltjer would have put that UK team over the top.

The Wiltjer that would have put UK over the top was the one who took a redshirt year and got 25+ minutes a game at GU. The other Wiltjer would have gotten far fewer minutes for Calipari.

MickMick
04-09-2015, 03:26 PM
The Wiltjer that would have put UK over the top was the one who took a redshirt year and got 25+ minutes a game at GU. The other Wiltjer would have gotten far fewer minutes for Calipari.

I don't disagree.

On the other hand:

Wiltjer would not have hit a brick wall, he would have gotten better even if he remained at UK.

Even with limited minutes, he would have provided offensive punch down the stretch when the UK offense stagnated.

There was more than enough atheticism and defensive skill to compensate for Wiltjer's defensive inadequacies, the net gain in scoring production being the difference maker.

willandi
04-09-2015, 05:44 PM
Do you think that Kentucky gets out of the first round NIT next year?

SunDevilGolfZag
04-09-2015, 06:02 PM
Kentucky players to NBA -- a classic case of who cares

upan8th
04-09-2015, 09:02 PM
Calipari has introduced the model. Bring em in, ship em out. It's been undeniably successful. With the obscene amounts of dollars involved, why wouldn't it succeed? Until the NC2A loses the court cases brought by former college athletes (O'Bannion et al) and the paradigm shifts, every BIG program will try to emulate UK. The good news? It's over, folks. The exploitive, billionaire NC2A gravy train, and the cars like the Kentucky program it carted, are ending, sooner rather than later. In the interim, there'll be, under the table, overt bidding for Burger Boyz among the BIGs. Unless/until athletic directors decide that BBall schollies will be dispensed on a two year or none basis, or that Freshman are ineligible, we're looking at a wild-west, outside the saloon, gun fight scenario that NO ONE wants. One way or another, the current system is, as the Bob-meister is fond of saying, DOOMED!

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, with GU's stable of capable hands & multi-year quality commitments, I like our chances next season, regardless. The only problem is, if we win it all in '16, will there be an asterisk attached noting it happened between NC ****ing 2A rule changes?

DixieZag
04-10-2015, 03:37 AM
Winning is undeniably the ultimate goal and always satisfying.

I do wonder, though, how much fun can it be for a Kentucky fan? It is far more like a pro team than any college experience.

One of the joys of being a Zag fan is getting to know these kids over the years, watching them develop, and having them truly be a part of the school. Then we see them come back over the years, and all that. We still have the Turiafs, Santangelos, Pargos and Dickaus all around the program.

It would be just fine to have one or two, one and done's, but to have a program where there are regularly three or four a year or whatever, is just a different animal.

Fonebone
04-10-2015, 09:28 AM
Can someone provide some background on the Harrison twins - what makes them so undesirable to the NBA - character I assume, but is there clear evidence of that ?

Also, I thought a very, very intersteing comment before Kentucky played Wisconsin was the announcer saying Kentucky did not study tape on Wisconsin. Coach just wanted them to play their game. I find that hard to believe - seems like you have to have some scout information to be really effective.