Washington Post: The expensive, effective role of search firms in coaching hires...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TerpZag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Washington Post: The expensive, effective role of search firms in coaching hires...

The expensive, effective role of search firms in college coaching hires

A few weeks ago, George Mason Athletic Director Brad Edwards flew to Atlanta, made his way to an office complex in the northern suburbs, and met the men from whom he would choose his new men’s basketball coach.

A third party, Parker Executive Search, had arranged for Edwards’s hand-picked candidates, about a dozen coaches, to visit the complex: hotels and flights booked, their interviews with Edwards scheduled so that each would come and go without one bumping into the next – speed dating meets air traffic control. The best part was, the whole thing was done in secret. The coaches, many of them under contract elsewhere, could pursue a new job without sounding alarms; Edwards could meet each candidate, in a casual and neutral setting, and make his choice away from prying eyes and without concern he was being played publicly for a raise.

When Edwards returned to Washington, he knew Bucknell Coach Dave Paulsen was his man, most of the broad strokes – expectations, requests, terms of a five-year contract – already agreed to in Atlanta. Confidence, though, costs money: in this case $50,000 paid to Parker Executive Search, one of the most influential players in the high-stakes and mysterious world of coaching search firms...

The Washington Post Article Link
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

what is this post doing on the men's basketball forum for GU basketball?
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• gonzagafan62
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2013

This is pretty interesting. I am wondering what UW does with Romar. Looks expensive. Eat it huskies. haha
      Qualified for 25 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

13 Sweet Sixteens (8 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• DZ
        Zag for Life
        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
        what is this post doing on the men's basketball forum for GU basketball?
        because it is fascinating, involves college basketball generally, it is off-season, and we may never know if it might impact us. It is highly likely that because of the family atmosphere at GU things tend to be out in the open, everyone happy if someone gets a chance to move to a head coaching position (except Tommy), but it is possible.

I very much appreciate the link. I knew there were some headhunters out there. I didn't know they operated at this level.
        Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
        Mark Twain.

Comment

• Radbooks
          Zag for Life
          • Jun 2007

Thanks for the Link! I enjoy these sorts of articles.
          “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Comment

Working...
          X