PDA

View Full Version : TOP 20 IN THE WEST.....WHAT DO YOU THINK?

ZionZag
04-08-2015, 05:03 PM
http://www.deseretnews.com/top/3162/0/Best-of-the-West-Creating-an-All-Star-roster-of-the-best-players-in-the-West.html

jazzdelmar
04-08-2015, 05:06 PM
Sabonis is better than any player on that whole list.

gonzagafan62
04-08-2015, 05:19 PM

Yup

gonzagafan62
04-08-2015, 05:22 PM
And no wiltjer until 19 when he was a third team all American is a joke to me

jazzdelmar
04-08-2015, 05:27 PM

No, KW is on the starting five. Still,

Birddog
04-08-2015, 05:28 PM

Wiltjer was a "starter" on the list. The first 15 were "reserves".

UABZag
04-08-2015, 05:28 PM
Actually, 1-15 were the reserves on this team and 16-20 were the starters. They are saying KW would start.

DixieZag
04-08-2015, 05:32 PM
Two Zags, two Cougars, two Utes, 2....

Dumb.

Click bait, Utah heavy.

But, thank you for the link

gonzagafan62
04-08-2015, 05:36 PM
I stand corrected . . . I judged the article. Oops. My bad.

WallaWallaZag
04-09-2015, 12:01 AM

not yet...makes too many mistakes currently...and needs a mid-range shot...and better handles.

would have liked to see karnowski and poeltl go head to head.

ZagLawGrad
04-09-2015, 07:15 AM
not yet...makes too many mistakes currently...and needs a mid-range shot...and better handles.
would have liked to see karnowski and poeltl go head to head.

Domas pretty good. But until he learns to cut down on his dribbling in a crowd in the key to get to a contested lay up, he will make it a lot harder on himself. Elias at times had the same problem. Needs to better develop the "hook" shot KW and Shem use.

I put "hook" in quotes because Alcindor had the true shot. KW's and Shem's shot well short of that.

mgadfly
04-09-2015, 08:19 AM
I think Domas is supposed to be dribbling into the key off the high block. It is the smart and most efficient option where his player sags to help on Karno.

On those contested shots with him and Karno within two feet of the hoop the offensive rebounding percentage sky rockets (plus he is going at the hoop, which is a smart thing). He draws more fouls. He has the chance for and-ones.

Both he and Karno did that more toward the end of the season and I'm certain that was an adjustment based on how teams were defending the low block.

Mr Vulture
04-09-2015, 08:24 AM
Come on now man! Sabonis is not better than every guy on that list....get real...lol! I love Sabonis and his upside is huge but he isn't even better than every player on Gonzaga right now.

upan8th
04-09-2015, 09:15 PM
[QUOTE=WallaWallaZag;1112883]not yet...makes too many mistakes currently...and needs a mid-range shot...and better handles.

Has a mid-range shot. Wasn't allowed, for reasons only Few knew, to take it.

DixieZag
04-10-2015, 03:27 AM
Come on now man! Sabonis is not better than every guy on that list....get real...lol! I love Sabonis and his upside is huge but he isn't even better than every player on Gonzaga right now.

Well, I suspect that is likely true, however, I would point to the fact that our most accomplished curmudgeon is not one prone to flights of positive assessments of any Zag, any player anywhere, actually (or anything, upon concentrating on the subject). So, there is something very special about Sabonis if it is leading to Jazz to unforced praise.

We assume it is unforced. Perhaps we should look into it more fully before we make such a leap.

jazzdelmar
04-10-2015, 03:31 AM
Well, I suspect that is likely true, however, I would point to the fact that our most accomplished curmudgeon is not one prone to flights of positive assessments of any Zag, any player anywhere, actually (or anything, upon concentrating on the subject0. So, there is something very special about Sabonis if it is leading to Jazz to unforced praise.

We assume it is unforced. Perhaps we should look into it more fully before we make such a leap.

Dix, right, clearly I should have inserted the word "potential" in my post......I can't imagine anyone here disagreeing with that......

DixieZag
04-10-2015, 03:41 AM
Dix, right, clearly I should have inserted the word "potential" in my post......I can't imagine anyone here disagreeing with that......

I don't think you were far off, one way or another. Clearly, on most programs Domas would be starting and playing all game, likely close to averaging a double double, comfortably. Plus, a lot of it is just sheer motor, he got many of those pts and rebounds from wanting it more than the guys around him, I think that's a quality that is undervalued.

I lean to your camp on this one.

jazzdelmar
04-10-2015, 04:18 AM
I don't think you were far off, one way or another. Clearly, on most programs Domas would be starting and playing all game, likely close to averaging a double double, comfortably. Plus, a lot of it is just sheer motor, he got many of those pts and rebounds from wanting it more than the guys around him, I think that's a quality that is undervalued.

I lean to your camp on this one.

DS is an 18 y/o, 6-10 and growing, Casey Calvary....'nuff said.

WallaWallaZag
04-10-2015, 05:05 AM
[QUOTE=WallaWallaZag;1112883]not yet...makes too many mistakes currently...and needs a mid-range shot...and better handles.

he missed two wide open gimmes against duke...and then went over the back trying to make up for it...

WallaWallaZag
04-10-2015, 05:08 AM
DS is an 18 y/o, 6-10 and growing, Casey Calvary....'nuff said.

needs to get some more hops if he wants to be compared to calvary :pray:

BTB
04-10-2015, 06:38 PM

Because the midrange jumper is, statistically, the least efficient shot you can take. Of course there are times when it is still a good shot but when you have such a potent scoring team as we had it is smart to pass up a good shot and be patient until you find a great shot.

MickMick
04-10-2015, 07:32 PM
needs to get some more hops if he wants to be compared to calvary :pray:

Calvary had off the charts athleticism.

What you can compare is the nastiness and the motor. I like to compare the two because of it.

Calvary was so mentally strong that he gave viewers the perception of being very strong physically as well. He didn't have hulk arms, long and thin in fact, but that attitude was like a constant adrenaline injection of superhuman strength. His brutish attitude went a long way toward making him appear much stronger than he actually was. So much fight inside.

Sabonis will end up physically stronger and really, a different type of player. He will play at a high level, but in a different manner, using different technique. He will not be nearly as graceful, but he will bring nasty brute force, better rebounding (albeit not nearly the same put back/tip in ability as Calvary), and some very nifty footwork as well.

Calvary was an improvised art form that brought the nasty. Sabonis will be a muscle memory technician that brings the nasty, and I believe he will be equally effective by the time he reaches his senior campaign.

Just my personal perception when comparing the two. They do have some common traits.

Mantua
04-10-2015, 11:42 PM
Calvary had off the charts athleticism.

What you can compare is the nastiness and the motor. I like to compare the two because of it.

Calvary was so mentally strong that he gave viewers the perception of being very strong physically as well. He didn't have hulk arms, long and thin in fact, but that attitude was like a constant adrenaline injection of superhuman strength. His brutish attitude went a long way toward making him appear much stronger than he actually was. So much fight inside.

Sabonis will end up physically stronger and really, a different type of player. He will play at a high level, but in a different manner, using different technique. He will not be nearly as graceful, but he will bring nasty brute force, better rebounding (albeit not nearly the same put back/tip in ability as Calvary), and some very nifty footwork as well.

Calvary was an improvised art form that brought the nasty. Sabonis will be a muscle memory technician that brings the nasty, and I believe he will be equally effective by the time he reaches his senior campaign.

Just my personal perception when comparing the two. They do have some common traits.

Domas does bring the same kind of energy and determination to the game that Calvary did. They are/were both highly entertaining too. I think Domas will make it to the NBA though. I was hoping that Casey could, but all the stories mentioned " 'tweener." It's hard for me to see the two players side by side in light of Sabonis' impact as a freshman and his potential. If he just hangs around his family all summer, he'll get better coaching than most kids who go to camps.

jazzdelmar
04-11-2015, 03:28 AM
It was just a comparison w respect to intensity and strength, fellas. Not a doppelgänger comment. At 18, DS is still growing and it is reasonable to assume he could reach 7 feet. He would still be shorter than dad. Was CC even 6-8?