• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

Joe Lunardi has his 2016 predictions, April 7th Bracketology

Joey Brackets is out with his predictions for next year (April 7,2016). He has Gonzaga seeded 5th in MidWest. No 1's are Villanova, Virginia, Kentucky and North Carolina. #2's are Duke, Maryland, Iowa St., and Indiana. Arizona is a 3 seed in the West. If we take UCLA and Arizona at home things will certainly change.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • Bkzag
    Kennel Club Material
    • Jan 2014

I find it difficult to believe he has us as a five seed and doesn't have BYU in the picture at all!
    The virtue I desire most is Humility and just when I think it's achieved, I have lost it.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
      Joey Brackets is out with his predictions for next year (April 7,2016). He has Gonzaga seeded 5th in MidWest. No 1's are Villanova, Virginia, Kentucky and North Carolina. #2's are Duke, Maryland, Iowa St., and Indiana. Arizona is a 3 seed in the West. If we take UCLA and Arizona at home things will certainly change.
      He is an idiot. That means he sees GU as about 20 in the polls. Nuts. Maybe the shoe polish went to his so called brain.

Comment

• DZ
        Zag for Life
        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
        He is an idiot. That means he sees GU as about 20 in the polls. Nuts. Maybe the shoe polish went to his so called brain.
        He also has us as a 5 seed playing in Spokane with a round of 32 game against a higher seed (4-Wisconsin), and, if I understand the rules right, a 5 and lower seed isn't supposed to be able to play a top 4 seed in its own area, especially its own city?
        Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
        Mark Twain.

Comment

• CDC84
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

I am not aware of any such rule, although they seem to try to avoid it. In 2004, I know that #3 Pitt had to face #6 Wisconsin in Milwaukee in the second round. There was a lot of griping about that, but the committee did it anyway. Fortunately for Pitt, they survived the game:

Expert recap and game analysis of the Pittsburgh Panthers vs. Wisconsin Badgers NCAAM game from March 21, 2004 on ESPN.

Comment

• Reborn
            Zag for Life
            • Oct 2007

You KNow? I kind of like the seeding, especially since it's so early. It takes the pressure off of the Zags and perhaps puts a little chip on their shoulder and will encourage them to work really hard this summer.
            Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• rennis
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2007

Seems fair to me. Graduating 60% of our starters and virtually 100% of our proven guards? From an outsider's perspective a 5 seed seems completely respectful.

:shrug:
              Originally posted by Coach Few
              We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Comment

• Mr Vulture
                Zag for Life
                • May 2008

I think a 5 seed is way off for what we have returning compared to other teams. Every "expert" has the Zags as a Top 10 team going into next season so anything lower than a 3 seed is off base. Then again, it really doesn't matter either.

Comment

• TheGonzagaFactor
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2011

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                  He also has us as a 5 seed playing in Spokane with a round of 32 game against a higher seed (4-Wisconsin), and, if I understand the rules right, a 5 and lower seed isn't supposed to be able to play a top 4 seed in its own area, especially its own city?
                  No rule against that. Look at G'Town traveling to Portland as a 4 seed to play 13th seeded EWU.
                  "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

Comment

• thegloriousgoateeofKP
                    Professional Zag Fan
                    • Jul 2007

We always start the season underrated. If I remember correctly, even with people talking about us as Final Four contenders this year, we still started out as 4-6 seeds in the early bracketology predictions.

So, no need to worry. All we gotta do is get in. If the young backcourt improves throughout the year, we'll be dangerous no matter what our seed.

Comment

• rennis
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by thegloriousgoateeofKP View Post
                      We always start the season underrated.
                      Said nearly every Zags fan ever.

Said everyone else? Mostly the opposite.
                      Originally posted by Coach Few
                      We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Comment

• thegloriousgoateeofKP
                        Professional Zag Fan
                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by rennis View Post
                        Said nearly every Zags fan ever.

Said everyone else? Mostly the opposite.
                        Well, without researching any data to support my claim....I think most years, we end up exceeding expectations. So that would lead me to believe we're underrated.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2013

Originally posted by thegloriousgoateeofKP View Post
                          Well, without researching any data to support my claim....I think most years, we end up exceeding expectations. So that would lead me to believe we're underrated.
                          2014: Started #13: Ended #7 (I am using no last second AP Polls)
                          2013: Started #15: Ended NR
                          2012: Started #21: Ended #1
                          2011: Started #23: Ended #24
                          2010: Started #12: Ended: NR
                          2009: Started NR: Ended: #22
                          2008: Started #10: Ended: #10
                          2007: Started #14: Ended: #20
                          2006: Started NR: Ended: NR
                          2005: Started #9: Ended: #5

That's just the last 10 seasons or so.
                          Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• thegloriousgoateeofKP
                            Professional Zag Fan
                            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
                            2014: Started #13: Ended #7 (I am using no last second AP Polls)
                            2013: Started #15: Ended NR
                            2012: Started #21: Ended #1
                            2011: Started #23: Ended #24
                            2010: Started #12: Ended: NR
                            2009: Started NR: Ended: #22
                            2008: Started #10: Ended: #10
                            2007: Started #14: Ended: #20
                            2006: Started NR: Ended: NR
                            2005: Started #9: Ended: #5

That's just the last 10 seasons or so.
                            Ok, interesting. So a mixed bag. Sometimes, we outperform expectations, sometimes we underperform. Like just about every other program in the country, I'd imagine.

This time around, though, I just don't think people realize how good Jenks could be. I saw EMC tweet about Jenks playing pick-up ball the other day. That's gotta be a good sign.

Comment

• seacatfan
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2014

What in the world does Joey Brackets gain by doing this so insanely early? I can understand the "way too early" top 25 lists, but guessing at the field? Still a lot of underclassmen weighing decisions to go pro or stay in school, plus a whole lot of impact freshmen haven't announced where they are going yet. Not to mention every year players and teams come from nowhere to make big impacts. This is beyond pointless.

Comment

Working...
                              X