PDA

View Full Version : OT: "Years Gone By"

tyra
04-06-2015, 08:04 PM
Just finished Jerry Vermillion's memoir, Years Gone By. I'm still trying to get my head around a 6'4" post with 1670 career rebounds -- 760 ahead of the next nearest. This kind of meets the definition of an unassailable record. Think Stockton's NBA assists record and Ripken's consecutive games played. It's just hard to fathom.

ZagsObserver
04-06-2015, 08:54 PM
How come he doesn't show up on wiki's career rebounding list?

tyra
04-06-2015, 09:14 PM
Not sure what you mean, Observer. Mr. vermillion is listed (accurately so) as GU's leading rebounder in my Wiki article.

gonzagafan62
04-06-2015, 09:15 PM
Not sure what you mean, Observer. Mr. vermillion is listed (accurately so) as GU's leading rebounder in my Wiki article.

Same here

Radbooks
04-06-2015, 09:16 PM
How come he doesn't show up on wiki's career rebounding list?

I'm making a total guess here, but I'm a librarian so I went to the NCAA site to see if I could find any information because I was curious. The first year he played Gonzaga was listed as a D II school and so I'm guess it didn't count in those stats that are listed on the wiki page you're looking at. Also, and again this is just a comment, but one of the years he played the only stats that were turned in to the NCAA were for Jerry - no other players were listed on the end of year stats. That seems odd to me and I wonder if that would cause others to question the stats? I really think it's the DII issue though because if you take those out it would drop him out of the rank of those guys listed on the wiki list.

Radbooks
04-06-2015, 09:18 PM
I think Observer meant the College Records Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_men%27s_basketball_career_ rebounding_leaders)...

MDABE80
04-06-2015, 10:37 PM
Hard to duplicate given that ost everyone played 4 years back then.

ZagsObserver
04-07-2015, 07:37 AM
I think Observer meant the College Records Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_men%27s_basketball_career_ rebounding_leaders)...

Thanks. Yes, that's what I was looking at

scott257
04-07-2015, 11:25 AM
I must be missing something. The lead in to the College Records Wiki indicates that the divisions started in 1973 so it seems to me that Jerry should be listed. Certainly when you look at the list on that site, there are other schools that were not any larger than Gonzaga listed.