PDA

View Full Version : New Skills for our guards

Reborn
04-06-2015, 05:56 PM
From watching the NCAA Tournament this year, and especially Duke, one thing that I hope that Few begins to do with our guards is to attack the basket HARD. The only one that did it last year was Gary, and he was pretty good at it. Wesley attacked from the wing pretty well, but too often, in my opinion, he did not attack all the way to the basket, but would shoot the floater. The floater has been one of GU's favorite shots for our guards, and especially for Pangos. As I see the NCAA Tournament, the deeper you go the more you need to attack the basket. For one thing you will get to the line more, and Gonzaga only shot 9 FT's against Duke. Few needs to realize this because actually Duke beat us at the foul line. At first I wanted to blame the refs, but the more I watched Duke the more I realized that it was Duke attacking the basket. Gonzaga should have taller and more athletic guards next year so I think that this is something that Few and his staff can develop. Kyle Dranginis is the best example of the kind of guard I am talking about. He is terrific at attacking the basket and getting to the FT line. And he's a good FT shooter. He has the size and athleticism. I also believe that McClellan needs to become a guard who will do this, attack the basket. He has the size and athleticism, and he can really handle the ball (dribble) well. I saw him get inside all the time this year but NOT take it to the basket. Can Few insist that he does next year? Perkins definitely has the size and athleticism where Pangos did not. I think we are going to be very surprised by how good our guards are going to be next year. Few hasn't really gone after any guards because he really doesn't need any.

Hoopaholic
04-06-2015, 07:40 PM
From watching the NCAA Tournament this year, and especially Duke, one thing that I hope that Few begins to do with our guards is to attack the basket HARD. The only one that did it last year was Gary, and he was pretty good at it. Wesley attacked from the wing pretty well, but too often, in my opinion, he did not attack all the way to the basket, but would shoot the floater. The floater has been one of GU's favorite shots for our guards, and especially for Pangos. As I see the NCAA Tournament, the deeper you go the more you need to attack the basket. For one thing you will get to the line more, and Gonzaga only shot 9 FT's against Duke. Few needs to realize this because actually Duke beat us at the foul line. At first I wanted to blame the refs, but the more I watched Duke the more I realized that it was Duke attacking the basket. Gonzaga should have taller and more athletic guards next year so I think that this is something that Few and his staff can develop. Kyle Dranginis is the best example of the kind of guard I am talking about. He is terrific at attacking the basket and getting to the FT line. And he's a good FT shooter. He has the size and athleticism. I also believe that McClellan needs to become a guard who will do this, attack the basket. He has the size and athleticism, and he can really handle the ball (dribble) well. I saw him get inside all the time this year but NOT take it to the basket. Can Few insist that he does next year? Perkins definitely has the size and athleticism where Pangos did not. I think we are going to be very surprised by how good our guards are going to be next year. Few hasn't really gone after any guards because he really doesn't need any.

we will, the skill sets of next year will be different than we have seen in a while.....attack and dish....serve it on a platter to the big boys

U Zig, I Zag
04-06-2015, 07:50 PM
we will, the skill sets of next year will be different than we have seen in a while.....attack and dish....serve it on a platter to the big boys

I think that Bell had the big body. He was strong - but he had a tough time finishing at the rim sometimes. Zag fastbreaks were often 'hold your breath' moments as of late - and not in the good way. I think that Melson, Perkins and Alberts (along with returning players) are more athletic and stronger finishers. If anything, they have some pizazz and gumption. I think it always can't be a chess match - I think that sometimes you just need to kick a little ass (this might be a 'A Cutting Edge' quote, don't hold that against me).

I think the next gen guards are cut from that clothe.*

* I know about the win %, the stats, etc of this current team. Some of the greatest Zags of all time, no-doubt.

Reborn
04-06-2015, 08:26 PM
And of course Tyus Jones shows how important it is to have an outside shooter as well who can shoot the jump shot off the pick and roll. Duke also had Cook. So we need a combination of guards who can shoot and drive. Pangos, as great as he has been, often did not have the outside shot in games that we really needed that. And when you get to the Elite 8, from there on you do need some good 3 point shooting. Few must develop Melson for that reason. Melson has a scorers mentality. Let's develop that instead of oppressing it.

GrizZAG
04-06-2015, 09:13 PM
These posts are spot on. The key to taking it up a notch or two. I would add that we need our bigs to be really prepared to catch some fireball passes and not be caught off guard. Those passes from MC & Perks are bullets. Additionally the alley-oop pass was not good this year too many times. (KW & KP)

Hoopaholic
04-07-2015, 06:02 AM
And of course Tyus Jones shows how important it is to have an outside shooter as well who can shoot the jump shot off the pick and roll. Duke also had Cook. So we need a combination of guards who can shoot and drive. Pangos, as great as he has been, often did not have the outside shot in games that we really needed that. And when you get to the Elite 8, from there on you do need some good 3 point shooting. Few must develop Melson for that reason. Melson has a scorers mentality. Let's develop that instead of oppressing it.

don't sleep on Alberts, Drainginis

cjm720
04-07-2015, 09:17 AM
Agreed 'born. Who's capable? Draginis, McC and Perks come to mind...others need to step up, especially Melson IMO.

CDC84
04-07-2015, 09:43 AM
I will tell you one thing.....GU's perimeter defense could be something else next year. Especially with all the size in the paint protecting the rim. Perkins, Melson, McClellan, Dranginis, Alberts....not a single guy smaller than 6-3. While not everyone is an elite athlete, no one is slow.

75Zag
04-07-2015, 10:04 AM
Wondering to myself if the ability to withstand (and sometimes dish out) brute force is a necessary skill for a slashing guard to have in order for a team to make it past Elite 8. it will take a special type of GU guard who can play both according to the "gentlemen's standards" of the WCC, where a sneeze sometimes is called as a touch foul, and the "no-holds-barred" style of Elite 8 BB, where an uppercut to the jaw of an opposing player results in a "play on" signal from the refs.

Go Bulldogs!

zagamatic
04-07-2015, 10:06 AM
I will tell you one thing.....GU's perimeter defense could be something else next year. Especially with all the size in the paint protecting the rim. Perkins, Melson, McClellan, Dranginis, Alberts....not a single guy smaller than 6-3. While not everyone is an elite athlete, no one is slow.

I think that next years team will set a new bar for blocked shots and steals while still converting at around 50% on the offensive end.

Reborn
04-07-2015, 07:02 PM
Look what that Allen kid did for Duke in the Final, and he did it all tournament really. He is big and fast and INTENSE going to the rim. And what about Jones? He took Pangos inside time after time after time. And Jones did it in other games too. And guards hitting big 3's in the Finals and Final 4 is also huge.. VS GU in their last two games couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.