PDA

View Full Version : Spokesman article: No Need to fret about Zags

Radbooks
04-04-2015, 09:47 PM
A nice article in the Spokesman (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/apr/04/no-need-fret-about-zags/) this evening with a look ahead to next year with quotes from Coach Few, Kevin and Kyle W.

“We have a lot of good players coming back,” Few said. “It would have been nice for Josh (Perkins) to experience all of this because he’s going to be an important part of this thing moving forward. And Silas (Melson) has to be a guy that steps up. Those bigs were as good as anybody in the country, they’ll be even better next year.

Lots more at the link! :)

Zagdawg
04-04-2015, 10:11 PM
Road contest against SMU? I did not realize this one was also being played--that will be a good road game for the guys.

MDABE80
04-04-2015, 10:42 PM
Our bigs will be legendary by next season. We'll be ranked highly because of them. SInce the world hasn't seen much of the Jenks, the media will call him a question mark .and they'll compare him to Kevin. We'll be solid at all position next year including the back court. The media will soon see.

DixieZag
04-05-2015, 01:27 AM
I was shocked to see that Shem had been ranked "the 16th best center" - that doesn't seem possible. One would think he would be at least in the top 10 and very likely in the top 5. Does someone here think this may be a case of small conference, small school, western conference bias?

jazzdelmar
04-05-2015, 04:01 AM
I was shocked to see that Shem had been ranked "the 16th best center" - that doesn't seem possible. One would think he would be at least in the top 10 and very likely in the top 5. Does someone here think this may be a case of small conference, small school, western conference bias?

Maybe a bit low but 5-6 better centers played yesterday.

GrizZAG
04-05-2015, 06:00 AM
With all respect due, I like "Perks" better than "Jenks" because he will bring perks to us :)

Our bigs will be legendary by next season. We'll be ranked highly because of them. SInce the world hasn't seen much of the Jenks, the media will call him a question mark .and they'll compare him to Kevin. We'll be solid at all position next year including the back court. The media will soon see.

Mr Vulture
04-05-2015, 06:11 AM
For the love of God, can we please drop this Jenks crap??

JPtheBeasta
04-05-2015, 06:43 AM
With all respect due, I like "Perks" better than "Jenks" because he will bring perks to us :)

I'm waiting for him to exhibit some killer instinct and act like a shark in the water* so that I can start calling him "Jaws."**

*During games, in the metaphorical sense, with his passing and scoring. I don't want him to actually smell blood, circle around and eat people. That would be gross. And I'm pretty sure the NCAA wouldn't appreciate it.

**It's a terrible pun, I know, but would be a way to sort of recognize and embrace the awful injury and turn it into something positive.

GonzagasaurusFlex
04-05-2015, 06:45 AM

AMEN and good riddance.

Josh Perkins, Silas Melson and Bryan Alberts (loved Coach Few's comment on his lights out shooting) are stepping up next season. I cannot wait to see these youngsters play with KD, and the bigs.

** Hoping for a Zags vs Texas (and their new coach Shaka Smart) Battle 4 Atlantis Championship early next season. After handling that pressure, all will know his name: Josh Perkins :clap: :clap:

JPtheBeasta
04-05-2015, 06:47 AM
Maybe a bit low but 5-6 better centers played yesterday.

Are you including the NBA?

Unless 4-5 are on Kentucky, I'm having a hard time seeing this one.

zags422
04-05-2015, 07:33 AM
I hope he becomes Andrew Bogut's replacement on the Warriors in 2017!

raise the zag
04-05-2015, 07:45 AM
and Bryan Alberts (loved Coach Few's comment on his lights out shooting)

Here is ESPN's scouting report re: Alberts junior year:

Bryan Alberts 6'4", 170lbs

Strengths:
Alberts possesses a solid frame with good length and he's bouncy as well. He has mature mid-range game considering his youth and can score in a variety of ways. His pull-up game is efficient and he can get to the rim off the dribble (explosive 1st step) as well.

Weaknesses:
Alberts has a solid all-around game already and it will be interesting to see how much he develops in the coming seasons. His jump shot is solid, but it needs to get more consistent. In addition, making his teammates better with his skill-set will elevate his stock as well.

Bottom line:
Alberts is an intriguing talent. He has an innate scorer who can get his own shot at any time. With maturity and experience his game should continue to evolve. As his fundamentals (jump stop) and overall skills continue to get better, he has a chance to be an elite shooting guard prospect.

As I mentioned months ago, Alberts receives rave reviews in practice. Not only his shooting, yet his passing has been excellent. He has great handles for an off-guard/wing type player. Is very athletic, can slash to the hoop, and can shoot. Not as electric and bouncy as Silas, yet has an open court game and flashy style. He has a congenital health condition, yet is managing it very well and his body/game has responded. Alberts would not have redshirted IF Wesley didn't arrive; fortunately for all, he did. Alberts was considered extremely underrated given his knee problems, yet the chronic tendonitis appears to have been growth related and since gone, or at least a non-issue. At the beginning of his Junior year, he was considered one of the top talents in the State. Knee and health issues caused him to miss AAU and most of his Senior season.

Versatility is awesome. Much like Dranginis, yet only more athletic and tighter handles, he can play 1 2 or 3 guard. Doesn't have the physicality or innate feel as KD does, yet they are similar players with similar size/options.

Alberts is the unsung frosh that could really surprise. Unless Melson learns the skill of passing to the open man (his primary weakness according to assistants is his 'shoot before think' mentality), he will lose PT to Alberts, who by all reports is a fantastic passer. I'd like to see him play alongside them though...

WallaWallaZag
04-05-2015, 07:46 AM

okafor from duke
frank the tank from wisky
towns / wcs / dakari johnson from uk

not sure where jazz got the possibility of a 6th...

SunDevilGolfZag
04-05-2015, 08:06 AM
Karno is different from at least one of the aforementioned Kentucky bigs in that he is an excellent player AND is willing to shake the hands of his opponents after a tough loss.

Zags11
04-05-2015, 08:27 AM
Id take karno over okafor. What was okafors defense ranked this yr? Was it better then 4th? Nope, i seem to recall at the time karno's d was best in tournament. Okafor doesnt play d even close to the eclipse of karno.

LongIslandZagFan
04-05-2015, 08:27 AM
What ticked me off yesterday was Nance and Hill saying Okafor was unguardable... meanwhile Domas and Shem kept him in check.

Mr Vulture
04-05-2015, 08:28 AM
I wouldn't consider Dakari or Kaminsky centers myself. I also think Towns is more of a power forward but can see a case for him. Okafor and Cauley Stein for sure?
okafor from duke

zagfan94
04-05-2015, 08:37 AM
okafor from duke

I think you take off Johnson from that list. The other four are the four best centers in CBB and all lottery picks so it's kind of a loaded statement.

gonzagafan62
04-05-2015, 08:43 AM
Jenks is going to light up the cbb world next year.

gonzagafan62
04-05-2015, 08:45 AM
What ticked me off yesterday was Nance and Hill saying Okafor was unguardable... meanwhile Domas and Shem kept him in check.

He was unguardable yesterday. Mich state had nobody that could guard him. I seriously doubt they meant at all. Gonzaga took and ate okafor for lunch ... Only difference was they had the two jones and we had pangos and bell not show up

Zagsker
04-05-2015, 08:48 AM

I agree if we can throw "Ammo" in with it

WallaWallaZag
04-05-2015, 09:07 AM
I think you take off Johnson from that list. The other four are the four best centers in CBB and all lottery picks so it's kind of a loaded statement.

depends if we're talking college or nba...johnson over karnowski if we're talking 'bout the league...

hooter73
04-05-2015, 09:11 AM
Pangos: "We always say in some ways it’s going to be more enjoyable to watch because they make it a lot flashier. I was really simple with the stuff I do.”

I like that.

If Alberts really can create his own shot, that too will be something we arent used to seeing. While I dont think we'll have the same amount of wins, I am very excited to watch this team next year.

I dont think Karno is even on any of the mock drafts is he?

DixieZag
04-05-2015, 09:24 AM
Pangos: "We always say in some ways it’s going to be more enjoyable to watch because they make it a lot flashier. I was really simple with the stuff I do.”

With all due respect, Kevin, it may well have been simple stepping up behind the arc and netting threes, But it was it was awfully enjoyable to watch, and pretty flashy when done in critical moments such as @BYU and @SMC and v. Iowa.

I get what you're saying, it comes from that humble place in your heart. It doesn't change the fact you're wrong. :)

WallaWallaZag
04-05-2015, 09:32 AM
With all due respect, Kevin, it may well have been simple stepping up behind the arc and netting threes, But it was it was awfully enjoyable to watch, and pretty flashy when done in critical moments such as @BYU and @SMC and v. Iowa.

I get what you're saying, it comes from that humble place in your heart. It doesn't change the fact you're wrong. :)

flashy is often another way of saying "turnover-prone" -- which perkins was in his 5 games...obviously expect him to get better as he goes along, but might be a cause for concern next year, especially early in the season against some of the heavy hitters zags will see.

DixieZag
04-05-2015, 09:40 AM
flashy is often another way of saying "turnover-prone" -- which perkins was in his 5 games...obviously expect him to get better as he goes along, but might be a cause for concern next year, especially early in the season against some of the heavy hitters zags will see.

Well, in my little message to him, which I harbor a small hope he gets, however he defined 'flashy,' to the extent he meant 'more enjoyable' - he's wrong. :)

BobZag
04-05-2015, 09:48 AM
Zags will take another legit shot at the Final Four next year. The window remains open with the frontcourt being what it is, and once the new backcourt gains game time.

Zags have been close to FF twice, and really should've had a couple more shots at it, so I feel it'll happen. Need good matchups, though. This year Iowa and UCLA were ideal matchups. Then came Duke. Oops.

Every Zag fan should feel optimistic.

Where's my sun glasses?

HenneZag
04-05-2015, 10:09 AM
We knew what we were getting with Perkins. Perkins has a flare to his game that we haven't seen in awhile. I don't want to change that about him, let him bring his swagger to GU and play his game. With that said, i'm sure their will be growing pains, some silly turnovers and several conversations with Mark Few. Perkins will learn what will work and vice versa once he get's game experience. I'm looking forward to watching him drop dimes to the bigs down low, and slashing into the teeth of the defenses.

jazzdelmar
04-05-2015, 10:50 AM

Okie. Kaminsky. Three from UK. Then there are 350 other schools.

jchocolate99
04-05-2015, 11:48 AM
Id take karno over okafor. What was okafors defense ranked this yr? Was it better then 4th? Nope, i seem to recall at the time karno's d was best in tournament. Okafor doesnt play d even close to the eclipse of karno.

heck no... I get everyone knowing and loving their own players but to say someone would take Karno over Okafor is a lil silly to me. Karno will get a lil better once he goes pro but his ceiling is pretty low. Okafor has a very high ceiling and is just going to get better. Lets not forget people he's only a freshman and was pretty dominate for a lot of games this year as a freshman.

thespywhozaggedme
04-05-2015, 12:57 PM
okafor from duke

WCS? Really? He's so offensively challenged, he lost a game of horse to a double amputee. He has no translatable outstanding skill at the next level; none. As for Dakari Johnson, to say that he's better than Shem is just plain silly.

RenoZag
04-05-2015, 03:27 PM
Thanks for posting that link, Radbooks.

Looking forward to seeing Josh Perkins for a whole season. Also anxious to see what Melson can do with more minutes, likewise Eric Mc.

I suspect Edwards will be the #1 source of speculation this off season. Fans who thought he would be some kind of chiseled Adonis by now appear to be disappointed.
Personally, I hope the hours he has to put in against Karno, Sabonis, and Wiltjer makes him a better big. The rest of the stuff will sort itself out by October ( Kraziness )

Pleasant Peninsula
04-05-2015, 03:31 PM
He has no translatable outstanding skill at the next level; none.

What?! Do you mean only on offense? Because I think WCS will be a top 20 defensive player in the NBA from game 1. Basically, I see him as a Tyson Chandler.

If Shem can stay in shape, work on that 15 foot jumper, he might have a shot at an NBA career. But even at that, it's a longshot.

hooter73
04-05-2015, 05:07 PM
Perkins...and slashing into the teeth of the defenses.

ahhh... only if he's wearing a football helmet :) I still cringe at even remembering the replay of his jaw.

thespywhozaggedme
04-05-2015, 06:30 PM
No, I mean no outstanding qualities on either side of the ball. He was basically invisible against Wisky and was really a non factor in the tourney. Any gm taking him in the loterry will be making a HUGE mistake; he literally makes his team 4 on 5 while on offense.
What?! Do you mean only on offense? Because I think WCS will be a top 20 defensive player in the NBA from game 1. Basically, I see him as a Tyson Chandler.

If Shem can stay in shape, work on that 15 foot jumper, he might have a shot at an NBA career. But even at that, it's a longshot.

TheZagPhish
04-05-2015, 06:34 PM
Every Zag fan should feel optimistic.

I don't even know you anymore.

;-)

gonzagafan62
04-05-2015, 06:36 PM
No, I mean no outstanding qualities on either side of the ball. He was basically invisible against Wisky and was really a non factor in the tourney. Any gm taking him in the loterry will be making a HUGE mistake; he literally makes his team 4 on 5 while on offense.

Do they even play defense in the NBA besides the playoffs?

Ekrub
04-05-2015, 07:04 PM
Do gu even play defense in the NBA besides the playoffs?

Yes. Part of the reason Morrison didn't make it.

hooter73
04-05-2015, 09:03 PM
Do they even play defense in the NBA besides the playoffs?

Colin cowherd has been going on and on about this for the last few weeks saying the defense is so good you don't even know its happening... And he's dead serious too.

WallaWallaZag
04-06-2015, 02:57 AM

having zero offensive abilities is ok in the nba when you have guys like james harden around...plenty of successful bigs who do nothing but block shots, rebound, and dunk. you realize wcs was tested to be the most mobile big not just this year but ever...as in all time? his combined score in the agility test was the 7th best all time...none of the six who scored higher are taller than 6'4...think about that for a moment.

the pro game is light speed faster than college...karnowski is a slow player...he needs to be absolutely dominant at what he does to get a legitimate shot at the next level....almost every game he plays needs to be close to the ucla sweet sixteen game.

Robzagnut
04-06-2015, 05:47 AM
WCS? Really? He's so offensively challenged, he lost a game of horse to a double amputee. He has no translatable outstanding skill at the next level; none.

Dumb statement. He's the best big defender in a long time and will be taken Top 10. So, you must see something that professional GMs aren't seeing. In a game of stretch 4's playing behind the 3 point line he is an extremely valuable commodity who can guard the whole floor. Plus, he is a great help defender.

I hope the Celtics get him. They have plenty of scoring, but have no rim protection.

rennis
04-06-2015, 07:38 AM

+1

And to chime in for no good reason on the side-betting going on in this thread... Willie Caulie-Stein is a beast and absolutely will be an NBA threat. NBA players play a lot of defense, and it's all one-on-one, which makes it that much harder to be a solid defender. Help Defense? Sometimes. And for all the athleticism at the next level, I disagree that the game is played considerably faster than the NCAA game. it's clearly much bigger, but I've been surprised many times by how quick certain players look once they get to the NBA as compared to the typically small and guard oriented college game. Ronny comes to mind.

LongIslandZagFan
04-06-2015, 08:10 AM
In regards to WCS... Defense CAN get you into the NBA just as much as it can keep you OUT of the NBA. Offense can be improved with work... an NBA GM would most assuredly take a chance on him mostly for his shot blocking ability.

ProjectMKUltra5
04-06-2015, 09:19 AM
WCS is practically DeAndre Jordans skeleton. They both have one absolutely outstanding quality on the offensive end, they will dunk on your face with the force of a thousand rivers.

Everyone talks about WCS shot blocking but the thing that really makes him special is his ability to guard the pick and roll. He's so fleet footed that he can cover everything in a pick and roll situation. He can switch onto the guard, he can come out and really hedge the guard and still recover and get back to his man, he can stop the dribble penetration. He excels in every aspect of the pick and roll on that end (and is even quite good in the pick and roll on offense as well).

Basically, I think it's ridiculous to say he has no outstanding translatable skill. I think the ability to guard like he does will translate to the NBA very well. 7 footers that can move like that don't grow on trees.

GonzagasaurusFlex
04-06-2015, 09:45 AM
WCS is practically DeAndre Jordans skeleton. They both have one absolutely outstanding quality on the offensive end, they will dunk on your face with the force of a thousand rivers.

One of the greatest hoop descriptions I've read in a long long time!

gonzagafan62
04-06-2015, 10:40 AM
Don't fret about the Zags!

sittingon50
04-06-2015, 02:09 PM

Can we drop Rex Walters while we're at it?

Angelo Roncalli
04-06-2015, 02:30 PM
Can we drop Rex Walters while we're at it?

Lots of USF players have.

Mr Vulture
04-06-2015, 02:32 PM
Who is Jenks? He will never be referred to as that anywhere but by a few on this board. For all that is great in this world...please stop!!

I know that Josh Perkins is going to be very good for us moving forward though.

Jenks is going to light up the cbb world next year.

thespywhozaggedme
04-06-2015, 02:56 PM
WCS will be outta the league in 5 years or at the very least buried on the bench. Bookmark this thread WCS nuthuggers.

Kong-Kool-Aid
04-06-2015, 03:56 PM
Are the people claiming Kyle being gone being a done deal ready to eat cow?

Birddog
04-06-2015, 04:12 PM
Are the people claiming Kyle being gone being a done deal ready to eat cow?

I see what you did there!

sittingon50
04-06-2015, 04:15 PM
I see what you did there!

On purpose?