PDA

View Full Version : The Reign of Josh Perkins

jchocolate99
04-04-2015, 03:00 PM
Even though I'm disappointed we didn't make the final four I didn't come away with the same bitter taste in my mouth like prior tourney losses. This team had a very successful season and even though the score didn't show it we played Duke pretty tough and feel more it was Gonzaga losing it than us just getting plain beat.

I'm pretty pumped and excited for next years team because we're definitely reloading even though we lose three very good experienced guards. With our Elite 8 loss it officially ushers in the reign of Josh Perkins as our next PG. We saw glimpses of him which showed Zag nation that we have a very talented and flashy PG in the making. He's definitely going to wow us next year and he's definitely going to frustrated us just because of the style of play he possesses. It'll probably be reminiscent of when we had Pargo but obviously Perkins doesn't posses the same above the rim talents but will make up for it in other parts of his game.

What type of floor general do you think Perkins will be in his first full year as the starter?

In my opinion and I know many will disagree with me but I think we upgrade at the PG position next year. Not taking anything away from Pangos because he will go down as one of the greatest Zags to ever play for us but with Perkins we're getting a more athletic PG that we haven't really had since Pargo. I think Perkins will be a better scorer than Pangos. No he's not the sharp shooter from three like Pangos is but he's gonna be slashing to the hoop more which he was already starting to do early before he got hurt and he's a better three point shooter than people give him credit for. I think the offense is going to flow better through Perkins and with his exceptional passing abilities its gonna really help the strength of our team which is our post play. Where he will get himself in trouble will be when he looks for the flashy play instead of the safe sure bet play. Nothing wrong with having flash but it cannot be at the expense of the team losing or turnovers. Glad he had that bad game early in the season where he had like 8 turnovers from being too flashy because I'm sure the staff sat him down and used it as a coaching opportunity. Overall I think we're going to be in great hands plus the fact that he's not going to have a lot of pressure to make every play because of how talented we are upfront and the fact that McClellan will be there to sub and take pressure off of him will really benefit him in his first full year starting so he can learn at a gradual pace.

http://s11.postimg.org/uy73v80q7/perkins.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/uy73v80q7/)

zag buddy
04-04-2015, 03:08 PM
I think it is going to be a battle between Eric Mc. a senior and Josh the freshman. Both will get about equal minutes I would guess.

MDABE80
04-04-2015, 03:09 PM
He's a diaper dandy. ALL kinds of ability. I'm looking forward to Josh and Emac on point next season. Believe me, he'll make some noise.

zagfan94
04-04-2015, 03:16 PM
Has this year officially been made a medical redshirt year for him? Haven't seen any news about it and I'm not sure if its a simple as meeting requirements or if its a case by case kind of thing.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
04-04-2015, 03:20 PM
It's gonna be SO much fun to watch him improve. He's gonna be great.

I posted this in the photo thread, but this picture absolutely made my day. Got me out of the dumps about this year and looking forward to next year:

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?50390-Zags-photo-thread&p=1109824#post1109824

gonzagafan62
04-04-2015, 03:26 PM
Perkins will no doubt be the starter and if he not it's almost a joke. Perkins looked so fluid during his brief stint this year. His offense looked really awesome and his passing was sensational. eMac is great too, but I think he will play elsewhere and get his minutes or be the backup. Perkins is that good. I have a lot of confidence in Perkins for next season.

jchocolate99
04-04-2015, 03:39 PM
I think it is going to be a battle between Eric Mc. a senior and Josh the freshman. Both will get about equal minutes I would guess.

I don't... Few will use McClellen as motivation so that Perkins doesn't get complacent but Perkins Starts from day one book it. Few isn't always known for showing immediate trust to players or Freshman if he isn't forced too and the fact that Perkins was getting 20mins a game shows the trust that Few and staff already have in Perkins. The battle is going to be the SG spot and Melson is going to have a battle on his hands cause I can see McClellen starting their next year and Melson coming off the bench

CDC84
04-04-2015, 04:00 PM
I just wish Josh could've played this year.

jchocolate99
04-04-2015, 04:05 PM

You and me both because I really think we win that Arizona game if he plays just for the fact that Pangos would have been fresher and would of put up more shots potentially

Robzagnut
04-04-2015, 07:40 PM

Competition is always good. May the best man win.

Perkins, EMac, Melson, Draino and Alberts. It's going to be fun to watch who comes out on top.

Iron sharpens iron.

stretch
04-04-2015, 07:50 PM
Outside of Perkns' jaw injury and EM's foot injury, the Zags had good fortune with staying healthy this season.

jchocolate99
04-04-2015, 07:56 PM
Outside of Perkns' jaw injury and EM's foot injury, the Zags had good fortune with staying healthy this season.

especially with Pangos cause we were playing with fire him having too play so much with no real backup to rest him

CDC84
04-04-2015, 08:15 PM

I'm talking more in terms of the experience Perkins would've gained if he hadn't gotten hurt. We would know a lot more about what GU would be getting from him next season. I'm pretty sure about what we are going to get from him in the long term.

DixieZag
04-04-2015, 08:38 PM
especially with Pangos cause we were playing with fire him having too play so much with no real backup to rest him

After Jan we had Emac - though I guess I should qualify that with after post-concussion and break.

But, toward the end of conference season, he was full speed. He could have provided many more minutes to rest Pangos, likely should have. But, one gets the sense that after four years, Pangos was like a security blanket and Few just could not bring himself to take him off the floor in anything like a close game. He might have been right to do so, we'll never know, b/c he didn't/wouldn't.

I do believe that Mac won us a game or two with his energy and momentum coming in at just the right time. Was it at SMC that he turned the momentum?

jchocolate99
04-04-2015, 08:55 PM
After Jan we had Emac - though I guess I should qualify that with after post-concussion and break.

But, toward the end of conference season, he was full speed. He could have provided many more minutes to rest Pangos, likely should have. But, one gets the sense that after four years, Pangos was like a security blanket and Few just could not bring himself to take him off the floor in anything like a close game. He might have been right to do so, we'll never know, b/c he didn't/wouldn't.

I do believe that Mac won us a game or two with his energy and momentum coming in at just the right time. Was it at SMC that he turned the momentum?

Yeah I wasn't too happy that we weren't using Emac more to relieve Pangos when he did come back but like you said I think it was more Pangos being a security blanket and few just not seeing enough of Emac in games to have complete trust in him. We do need to find another PG guard to bridge the gap till Jessie Wade lands on campus after Emac leaves. If we can land Mussini that could really help

MickMick
04-04-2015, 09:03 PM
I'm talking more in terms of the experience Perkins would've gained if he hadn't gotten hurt. We would know a lot more about what GU would be getting from him next season. I'm pretty sure about what we are going to get from him in the long term.

Yep. It wasn't that he missed time this year with respect to immediate contribution. It was the valuable seasoning and grooming. He is going to have it all thrust on him quick. On the other hand, we see freshman studs in basketball every year. Either he has it or he don't.

thespywhozaggedme
04-04-2015, 09:42 PM
Better than KP in every single aspect of the game, save for the 3 ball.

jchocolate99
04-04-2015, 09:52 PM

I agree with you... He wont have KP's 3 ball but he'll have a good enough three point shot to force teams to respect him at the top of the key but he's quick enough to fly past defenders to get to the hoop. I was surprised he showed that part of his game so soon before he got hurt. Freshman are normally hesitant to take it to the hoop. I think people will be surprised how much better the offense will flow next year. I always thought the O flowed better when Stockton was in just because how well he could pass the ball and get it to our bigs

bartruff1
04-05-2015, 06:00 AM
Leadership , experience..... it may be difficult for a freshman point guard to manage a game with 3 upper classmen who are potential draft picks....

Maybe he is a Marcus Smart....instead of a John Wall .....all the stuff that makes up what is called basketball IQ......it may be a little early to compare him with Pangos.... All American , WCC POY....ect.... .we shall see...the proof is always in the pudding ...

GoZags
04-05-2015, 07:07 AM

Eric McLellan was on "limited minutes" up until very late in the regular season (just before the last weekend) (i.e. for practice/game time activity). Again ... while he was "cleared" vis a vis the broken foot ... he wasn't "cleared" for unlimited minutes. So you can add "couldn't" to your Few "didn't/wouldn't".

WallaWallaZag
04-05-2015, 07:16 AM

no way to gauge his leadership and ability to run the offensive system...don't think perkins will get to the level of pangos in this regard in what will essentially be his freshman year.

Ekrub
04-05-2015, 07:30 AM
Bigs better be ready to eat. Perkins is going to be serving up dinner.

DixieZag
04-05-2015, 07:34 AM
Eric McLellan was on "limited minutes" up until very late in the regular season (just before the last weekend) (i.e. for practice/game time activity). Again ... while he was "cleared" vis a vis the broken foot ... he wasn't "cleared" for unlimited minutes. So you can add "couldn't" to your Few "didn't/wouldn't".

Sure, that is true, no doubt. When I said tough to take Kevin out b/c of security, I was speaking to the fact that Kevin really didn't come out of some games at all (though my memory may be wrong.) Again, that might have been the right move. I think part of what is forgotten on the "Perks is better than KP at all but...." is that much of being a PG is what goes on between the ears and what is communicated to the other four. JP may get there, too, but it's something KP brought that was Hall of Fame talent.

Last, in his limited 5 games, I was surprised how much Perks looked for 3s, and even more surprised how many he made. From what I recall he shot those very well for a "pass first" PG.

He is going to be a good one, our highest rated [US] recruit ever.

SwainZag
04-05-2015, 08:50 AM
no way to gauge his leadership and ability to run the offensive system...don't think perkins will get to the level of pangos in this regard in what will essentially be his freshman year.

I have to agree with this sentiment. Does Perkins have the talent to be better than KP as an overall player? Yes. But to say he is going to be better than the conference player of the year and the guard with the 2nd best A/TO ratio in the country is pushing it a little much. Is Kevin's poor performance against Duke really pushing out of mind's just how good of a player he was this year?

hooter73
04-05-2015, 09:35 AM
The flash is good. A top level team needs the flash. Flash is how Josh got the national recognition that he did as a high school player and it got his name on the top lists. Flash generates excitement.

As for not getting too many turnovers on trying to be too flashy, Calipari on the radio not long ago was saying he wised his team had more turnovers, it meant they were not playing in a comfort zone, that they were taking chances and pushing themselves. I liked that. Obviously there is a balance that will have to be learned and I expect the guards to make some dumb turnovers and we will see Few enthusiastically pointed at his forehead and yelling to "Keep it Simple!"

Zagceo
04-05-2015, 10:20 AM
Records and numbers are nice but to really put your mark on a program…….a player needs to elevate themselves in the biggest games and crucial moments….think Casey Calvery.

jchocolate99
04-05-2015, 10:46 AM
The flash is good. A top level team needs the flash. Flash is how Josh got the national recognition that he did as a high school player and it got his name on the top lists. Flash generates excitement.

As for not getting too many turnovers on trying to be too flashy, Calipari on the radio not long ago was saying he wised his team had more turnovers, it meant they were not playing in a comfort zone, that they were taking chances and pushing themselves. I liked that. Obviously there is a balance that will have to be learned and I expect the guards to make some dumb turnovers and we will see Few enthusiastically pointed at his forehead and yelling to "Keep it Simple!"

Flash is good and will excite our fanbase next year... that game he was "too" flashy wasn't good he had like 8 or 9 turnovers in that game. Coaching staff definitely doesn't want him to stop being that flash player like with stocking and what few called riverboat passes but you need to be smart too. Like I said glad he had that bad turnover game early last year and was able to observe Pango's being pretty careful with the ball. Just no unneeded turnovers and Perkins will be just fine. It's going to be an exciting year though because with Perkins, Melson, McClellen and Alberts this will be the most athletic talent we've ever had in the backcourt (Yes, I know Draginis has some athleticism before someone jumps on that but in comparison to those four it's not the same level in terms of just athleticism)

NumberCruncher
04-05-2015, 12:07 PM
Since when did 5 become 8 or 9? Sheesh!

MDABE80
04-05-2015, 12:10 PM
It "seemed" like 8 or 9. lol

jchocolate99
04-05-2015, 12:48 PM
Since when did 5 become 8 or 9? Sheesh!

if it was 5 my mistake but most of it came at the end of the game in a short amount of time when we sat Pango's... too many in too short amount of time. Like I said though he's gonna be exciting yet frustrating. Pargo was the same way but was a really good PG for us and I was always excited to watch him because it was always like what's he gonna do next to wow us

NumberCruncher
04-05-2015, 01:45 PM
if it was 5 my mistake but most of it came at the end of the game in a short amount of time when we sat Pango's... too many in too short amount of time. Like I said though he's gonna be exciting yet frustrating. Pargo was the same way but was a really good PG for us and I was always excited to watch him because it was always like what's he gonna do next to wow us

It was 5 turnovers in 20 minutes of a 50+ point blowout. Otherwise, he had 5 turnovers in 81 minutes, which is excellent.

I expect, given his flashy style, there will be some more high turnover games.

Here's a list of some Zag guards ordered by highest frequency of turnovers.
Dickau
Pargo
Hall
J. Stockton
Stepp
Santangelo
Carter
D.Stockton
Goodson
Bouldin
Gray
Raivio
Pangos
Bell
Bankhead

amaronizag
04-05-2015, 02:00 PM
You're right, it seemed like 8 or 9. He was really having a bad game. I was at that game and was watching his every move closely. Everything was just off. His timing wasn't there. The longer he was in, the worse it got, the more he came unraveled. He was suffering out there. I was squirming in my seat and longing for Few to take him out to save him from this humiliation, but Few left him hanging out there. During the timeout, he had a towel over his head. He was embarrassed. Daniels gave him a pat on the back and reassured him. Tommy took the towel off his head to say, you have nothing to be embarrassed about, then back in he went only to turn it over again. It seemed like the game would never end. I felt bad for him and I would have pulled him earlier to save him that humiliation. I felt bad for him. He's very hard on himself like Karno was early on. He really wants to play well, and I'm satisfied that he will. He's a really good kid with a boatload of talent who will rank high among the all time Zags. It will be a great privilege to watch him mature and lead this team to even better things. Can't wait to watch it all come together.

Hoopaholic
04-05-2015, 04:21 PM
Bigs better be ready to eat. Perkins is going to be serving up dinner.

This. Different style but pent ration and dish will be the steady diet

hooter73
04-05-2015, 05:02 PM
You know, in the senior video Josh said that most people didnt know Pangos was one of the reasons he came here and I dont think it was to learn to shoot three pointers that he was referring to. Leadership is learned and each player will have their own style, Josh has already surprised me with his maturity, I think he will be the player GU needs.

MickMick
04-05-2015, 06:44 PM
A portion of the following link:http://www.kentucky.com/2013/06/14/2679109_next-cats-pg-prospect-perkins.html?rh=1

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. The debate over the country's best point guard in the class of 2014 has been engaging, but limited in its options.

Those who follow basketball recruiting have been stuck with two choices: Tyus Jones or Emmanuel Mudiay.

It might not be long before a third candidate emerges: Huntington (W.Va.) Prep's Josh Perkins.

The Colorado native has had a busy few weeks. He announced last month that he would play his senior season for the West Virginia powerhouse. Around that time, John Calipari called his father to let him know Kentucky was interested.

And, more recently, longtime recruiting analyst Jerry Meyer called Perkins one of the best passers he's scouted in the past 10 years.

Meyer, the national analyst for 24/7 Sports, didn't back off that statement Friday.

"As far as degree of difficulty and seeing the play before it happens, yeah, I would say he's the best I've seen," Meyer told the Herald-Leader. "Now, as far as the more realistic passes you've gotta make, there are some other guys who are right there with him. But his creativity, his vision it's unparalleled from what I've scouted."

Meyer a former college point guard himself was not expecting to see the next five-star prospect when he sat down in the gym to see a game in which Perkins played.

"To be honest, I didn't know who he was before I started watching the game," he said. "I was sort of doing a blind scout. And I'm like, 'Who the hell is this guy making these crazy passes?' ... It kind of blew my mind."

More at link...........

jazzdelmar
04-06-2015, 06:09 AM
A lot of water under the bridge since that article. He had a middling senior year and list one star. Should have stayed in the Rockies. Then the nice start at GU and the injury and subsequent weight and strength loss. Let's hope he gets back to the confident young man in this article.

WallaWallaZag
04-06-2015, 06:55 AM
A lot of water under the bridge since that article. He had a middling senior year and list one star. Should have stayed in the Rockies. Then the nice start at GU and the injury and subsequent weight and strength loss. Let's hope he gets back to the confident young man in this article.

at one point prior to his senior year, perkins went head to head against mudiay and held his own...have always felt that he had a decent shot to be a mickey d's player had he stayed put...though the transfer obviously got him a lot of media attention.

rennis
04-06-2015, 07:30 AM
Compared to this year...there will be some bumps in the road for the 15/16 season. The ceiling for Josh (and the team) will be high, but to think we pick up where we left off? You don't just replace two guards who started 4 years and averaged 30 wins per season and not expect some bumps and bruises. Melson and Perkins are the real deal, but they have some mighty large shoes to fill.

Hoopaholic
04-06-2015, 01:36 PM
I have not been this excited for a new point guard....well since 4 years ago....big things coming IMO

CDC84
04-06-2015, 08:11 PM
He's going to be thrown into the fire early.....Pitt, Atlantis, UCLA, Arizona, at SMU, at WSU.......

Birddog
04-07-2015, 04:29 AM
He's going to be thrown into the fire early.....Pitt, Atlantis, UCLA, Arizona, at SMU, at WSU.......

Is that vs Univ of Atlantis or Atlantis St?

Zagcity
04-07-2015, 06:27 AM

Use the Force ...Josh

thespywhozaggedme
04-07-2015, 06:44 AM
Atlantis Tech; they were a fill in for Valhalla U, who backed out at the last minute.
Is that vs Univ of Atlantis or Atlantis St?

Birddog
04-07-2015, 06:52 AM
Atlantis Tech; they were a fill in for Valhalla U, who backed out at the last minute.

That's too bad about Valhalla, they have some superstars. Odin and Thor are the leaders and the rest of the squad is battle tested and tough.

gonzagafan62
04-07-2015, 06:56 AM

They get fined $100,000 in that backout clause too.

Zag_Dad
04-07-2015, 07:46 AM
When will we know whether Perkins is granted a medical red shirt for the jaw injury this season? I assume it's almost a certainty, but when someone posted the rules earlier this season it appeared as if the decision was not automatic.

I assume that the staff must be pretty confident that he will be granted the red-shirt or he would have been playing by the WCC tournament.

thespywhozaggedme
04-07-2015, 07:48 AM
If he's as good as many of us here think that he is, a medical redshirt will be irrelevant. I thin he'll be the best pg not named John Stockton to ever play for the Zags.
When will we know whether Perkins is granted a medical red shirt for the jaw injury this season? I assume it's almost a certainty, but when someone posted the rules earlier this season it appeared as if the decision was not automatic.

I assume that the staff must be pretty confident that he will be granted the red-shirt or he would have been playing by the WCC tournament.

CDC84
04-07-2015, 09:59 AM
I don't see any reason why Perkins wouldn't get a medical redshirt. He only played 5 games, and he was never medically cleared. He fits every criteria.

Zagger
04-07-2015, 10:57 AM
I don't see any reason why Perkins wouldn't get a medical redshirt. He only played 5 games, and he was never medically cleared. He fits every criteria.

If any official that helps determine the MR sees the video of the broken jaw play they may give Josh 2 years :)
I'm surprised he didn't break his neck as well!
I hope Josh does not have on-going issues with the jaw.

As for starting PGs next season ..... Wouldn't surprise me one bit if it were Josh and Drano. KD steadily got better all season. My opinion is that he'll be even better come November AND have an increased desire to help light up the Zags. KD seems like that kind of guy - ready to really beak out. I'm really excited for next season for both Eric and Silas too. We may just have 4 PGs that for all practical purposes can and will start games depending on who they're up against. What will very likely separate the bunch is how well they can defend. Defense has got to be a key ingredient if the Zags are going get vary far in the Dance again. It's been so long since Josh has played for GU I don't recall how well he played D.

Down another thought's trail .... wonder just how good the rest of the WCC will be in 15-16. Boy, lot's to ponder! And 6-7 months to do so ...... One thing's going to be a certainty - the Zags are going to have some exciting games to play in 15-16!