PDA

View Full Version : Donors

zag buddy
04-04-2015, 08:59 AM
I just read where an anonymous donor just gave 5 million dollars earmarked for the basketball program. I will neither confirm or deny that it was me but could I have some of it back.
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Gonzaga-University-receives-5-million-gift-298669051.html

MDABE80
04-04-2015, 10:01 AM
Damn! Ya can't keep anything private anymore:(

jazzdelmar
04-04-2015, 10:29 AM
Does he or she move up on the season tix waiting list? :)

DixieZag
04-04-2015, 10:50 AM
Does he or she move up on the season tix waiting list? :)

Yes! I think that moves a person up at least ten spaces. Though, I suspect many of those ten will first take the opportunity to match the gift.

I'm torn about this. Of the organizations at the school, the last one needing large gifts is the basketball team. I would rather see those go to scholarship funds or infrastructure improvements. I suppose it could be that the gift frees up money to go to those areas given the decreased need within the BB program?

jazzdelmar
04-04-2015, 11:01 AM
Yes! I think that moves a person up at least ten spaces. Though, I suspect many of those ten will first take the opportunity to match the gift.

I'm torn about this. Of the organizations at the school, the last one needing large gifts is the basketball team. I would rather see those go to scholarship funds or infrastructure improvements. I suppose it could be that the gift frees up money to go to those areas given the decreased need within the BB program?

That's exactly what happens. It's all green money.

tyra
04-04-2015, 11:05 AM
The truth is that the success of the basketball program helps the whole school (whether one likes that or not). This generous gift, therefore, will amply reverberate throughout the rest of the school. Besides, the money was the donor's to give and give where he would like. Seems like win-win to me.

Booster
04-04-2015, 11:21 AM
Don't assume that the basketball teams are "self funded". They, too, rely on University funding to run their programs. Given the upcoming changes that the big 5 conferences are driving, Gonzaga Basketball will need the additional funds to remain competitive.

zag buddy
04-04-2015, 11:22 AM
We are fans and a Hugh part of the program. I think the monies should be divided among us fans on this blog with a larger percentage going to the fan that started this topic.

sonuvazag
04-04-2015, 11:46 AM
We are fans and a Hugh part of the program. I think the monies should be divided among us fans on this blog with a larger percentage going to the fan that started this topic.
I'm thinking post count could be used to measure how great each poster is.

zag buddy
04-04-2015, 11:58 AM
quality over quanity

Zagsker
The truth is that the success of the basketball program helps the whole school (whether one likes that or not). This generous gift, therefore, will amply reverberate throughout the rest of the school. Besides, the money was the donor's to give and give where he would like. Seems like win-win to me.

Exactly...national name brand of a school goes through their respective athletic diamond

Zagsker

Bump

Zagsker
04-04-2015, 11:59 AM

Bump...

ZagsObserver
04-04-2015, 12:22 PM

This

DixieZag
04-04-2015, 02:18 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/apr/04/gu-basketball-teams-inspire-5-million-donation/ Link

It is certainly true that the Basketball team has brought in tens of millions to the school generally with increased awareness, student enrollment and money donated.

It is nice that the improvements made geared to basketball improve the infrastructure generally for students.

Zag365
04-04-2015, 02:35 PM

Looks like the donor(s), Gonzaga, and the athletic department thought this one through. Should be great for the sustainability of the University. Hopefully inspires others to give generously to programs they favor. We don't have a large endowment relative to our reputation. We need to keep this place going!

sittingon50
04-04-2015, 02:40 PM

This.

Zag365
04-04-2015, 02:42 PM

The donor(s), University, and Athletic Department seem to have thought this out pretty well. A great contribution to the sustainability of Gonzaga. We are not a well-endowed school relative to our reputation. Hopefully this inspires others to do the same.

gonzagafan62
04-04-2015, 02:46 PM
Thanks!!!!!! When I win the lottery I'll be donating too!!!! Go zags!!!

ZagLawGrad
04-04-2015, 02:53 PM
$5 million nice gift to the program.

Crazy as it is.

zag buddy
04-04-2015, 03:18 PM
I would say basketball has taken student enrollment from about 4,000+ to 9,000+. I believe that's an increase of about 180 million a year. $36,000 costs of tuition and fees per student. ( hope I did that right).

BobZag
04-04-2015, 04:21 PM
That money should've been earmarked for ME!

BWAHAHAHAHAAA!

Zag 77
04-04-2015, 09:13 PM

I am grateful that this person is generous to GU. If he/she is reading, I would say Thank You. I would also tell this person over a beer at Jack & Dan's that I feel a little guilty about it as an alum and parent of GU students. The Basketball team could probably get by on a measly million (yes, I know that a million bucks does not go as far as it used to) and the rest to the Endowment Fund to sustain the University and its students. It is not like the Basketball program is in a shabby situation. Maybe we need a new weight room, but that is not going to cost that much. I feel like a hypocrite for criticizing T. Boone Pickens owning the teams at Oklahoma State now.

That being said, It is this person's money to give and I am glad it is going to us and not some other school.

P.S. Maybe we can afford to get rid of the damned Black Uniforms now.

P.P.S. I would suspect that there are at least 20 people at GU, if not more, who know the identity of the donor. Eventually we will know, but sometimes that takes a few years. I do have a measure of respect for person who donate anonymously.

webspinnre
04-04-2015, 09:23 PM
As one or two mentioned above, this 5 million going to the basketball team allows them to move some other money around, so it'll help the whole school. The changes in Gonzaga since 1999 are truly remarkable as far as rise in enrollment, increase in difficulty of admission, and the massive facility improvements.

Zag 77
04-04-2015, 09:30 PM
The donor might have restricted the money to athletics only, with a stipulation of no supplanting. That kind of information is usually a closely guarded secret and GU is under no obligation as a private institution to reveal that. Again, the public at large may not know for many years.

Zagceo
04-04-2015, 09:35 PM
I am grateful that this person is generous to GU. If he/she is reading, I would say Thank You. I would also tell this person over a beer at Jack & Dan's that I feel a little guilty about it as an alum and parent of GU students. The Basketball team could probably get by on a measly million (yes, I know that a million bucks does not go as far as it used to) and the rest to the Endowment Fund to sustain the University and its students. It is not like the Basketball program is in a shabby situation. Maybe we need a new weight room, but that is not going to cost that much. I feel like a hypocrite for criticizing T. Boone Pickens owning the teams at Oklahoma State now.

That being said, It is this person's money to give and I am glad it is going to us and not some other school.

P.S. Maybe we can afford to get rid of the damned Black Uniforms now.

P.P.S. I would suspect that there are at least 20 people at GU, if not more, who know the identity of the donor. Eventually we will know, but sometimes that takes a few years. I do have a measure of respect for person who donate anonymously.

and I have respect for the players when they decide to wear the black jerseys.:)

ZagsGoZags
04-05-2015, 02:22 AM
since we are ranked 48th in total value of the BB program, and Few is ranked 32 in coaches salaries, and since we really need to keep Travis Knight and Tommy Lloyd around, I think this money will be helpful, but I hope GU was planning to step up in these area beforehand

Birddog
04-05-2015, 03:52 AM
It's Easter Morning and I'm reading criticisms of the donor and his/her gift specifications. Can't we all just b!tch about the referees or Heister?

BoZarth
04-06-2015, 09:07 AM
It's Easter Morning and I'm reading criticisms of the donor and his/her gift specifications. Can't we all just b!tch about the referees or Heister?

Have to consider the source. Black uniforms, free throws, G. Coleman . . . it goes on and on and on and on . . .

Go Zags!!!!

LongIslandZagFan
04-06-2015, 10:56 AM
The donor(s), University, and Athletic Department seem to have thought this out pretty well. A great contribution to the sustainability of Gonzaga. We are not a well-endowed school relative to our reputation. Hopefully this inspires others to do the same.

$165 million endowment in 2014. That is up from $122 million in 2012. That $165 million translates to about $22,000 per student. Not a bad number. It isn't a billion dollar values but that per capita number is better than many schools.

Zaga
04-06-2015, 11:02 AM
Can't we all just b!tch about the referees or Heister?

Few must owe Heister a fishing trip because why else is he still....................

MDABE80
04-06-2015, 11:10 AM
Much more as of 2015 LIZ.

LongIslandZagFan
04-06-2015, 11:12 AM
Much more as of 2015 LIZ.

Considering rate of growth in the last 2 years, I suspect so. Those wont be public knowledge until later this year.

Zagceo
04-06-2015, 12:51 PM
$165 million endowment in 2014. That is up from $122 million in 2012. That $165 million translates to about $22,000 per student. Not a bad number. It isn't a billion dollar values but that per capita number is better than many schools.

Agree not bad for Gonzaga.

Quick rough numbers for Stanford 1.3 mil Harvard 1.8 mil crazy numbers

LongIslandZagFan
04-06-2015, 01:05 PM
Agree not bad for Gonzaga.

Quick rough numbers for Stanford 1.3 mil Harvard 1.8 mil crazy numbers

Well when you endowments of 30+ billion... yeah... that happens.

americasteam
04-06-2015, 02:03 PM
For anyone critiquing how someone chooses to donate, I don't believe you get questioned by anyone on what you decide to donate to, and neither should they. You donate to bottled water in Africa? Well I think the poor folks in Central America may need medicine but it isn't up to me to question your donation.

Thank you to that donor and to all those that donate all year long to whatever causes are important to them.