PDA

View Full Version : OT: Shaka smart to Texas

gonzagafan62
04-02-2015, 06:44 PM
Looks like Spike Lee needs a new team to root for... Previously rooted for UCLA, Georgetown and now VCU.

ZagaZags
04-02-2015, 06:49 PM
Looks like Spike Lee needs a new team to root for... Previously rooted for UCLA, Georgetown and now VCU.

Did he finally give up on the Knicks?

gonzagafan62
04-02-2015, 06:50 PM
Did he finally give up on the Knicks?

He stated he "hasn't watched as much Knicks games this year, and doesn't have season tickets" wonder why?

kclubfounder
04-02-2015, 06:57 PM
VCU will now go back to mid major mediocrity.

To all of us who were Zags prior to 1999, this is yet another example of why we are living in a sports dream.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
04-02-2015, 06:58 PM
Once more, with feeling: thank goodness for Mark Few.

Is the air gonna come out of the balloon at VCU? Maybe, maybe not...who knows? But I'm glad we're not gonna have to find out if it would at GU without Coach Few.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
04-02-2015, 07:10 PM

To all of us who were Zags prior to 1999, this is yet another example of why we are living in a sports dream.

Has a shrine to Mark Few been built in downtown Spokane yet? Can we immediately offer to triple his salary? Whatever he wants...has to know how much we appreciate and love him.

gonzagafan62
04-02-2015, 07:13 PM
Has a shrine to Mark Few been built in downtown Spokane yet? Can we immediately offer to triple his salary? Whatever he wants...has to know how much we appreciate and love him.

What really is amazing is marks background. I cannot remember how many exact years but I do believe his father was behind the same pulpit at his church for 50+ years. That gives me all the comfort I need to know he's not leaving

adoptedzag
04-02-2015, 07:15 PM
What really is amazing is marks background. I cannot remember how many exact years but I do believe his father was behind the same bullpit at his church for 50+ years. That gives me all the comfort I need to know he's not leaving

Bullpit? lol

gonzagafan62
04-02-2015, 07:17 PM
Bullpit? lol

Dang it you should know what I meant. :p dang autocorrect. Pulpit. Guess I type too fast. EDIT: That would be pretty weird, eh?

thegloriousgoateeofKP
04-02-2015, 07:29 PM
What really is amazing is marks background. I cannot remember how many exact years but I do believe his father was behind the same pulpit at his church for 50+ years. That gives me all the comfort I need to know he's not leaving

Yeah, agreed. I'm not worried in the slightest. I was really young, though, during the early years of his tenure...anyone care to lend some perspective about what it was like? Were we fans constantly on edge once every season ended?

RenoZag
04-02-2015, 07:30 PM
ESPN's story on Coach Smart's move:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12608854/shaka-smart-new-texas-longhorns-coach

Smart's compensation this year adds up to $1.8 million. By leaving before May 1, he will owe VCU a $500,000 buyout, and his contract also contains a provision that if he becomes the head coach at another institution, that school would have to play VCU in a home-and-home series or pay VCU $250,000.

Barnes' salary this season was $2.62 million.

I'm guessing Smart will get $2.75MM / yr. Too low ?

CDC84
04-02-2015, 09:05 PM
This guy is going to elevate Texas basketball. He is a tireless worker and a dynamic personality. He will have to consider how much he wants to emphasize his full court pressing system from VCU. You can win a lot of games with that sort of thing, but it ultimately doesn't work when facing the best teams who have guards who can destroy it (see West Virginia/Kentucky). My best guess is that once he starts landing 5 star players, he will chuck it as a "system."

seacatfan
04-02-2015, 09:49 PM
I don't know that VCU is going to disappear now. They were good before Smart was coaching. Anthony Grant had a nice stint there. So did Jeff Capel. Xavier has stayed relevant thru probably their last 5 coaches. It's unique that Few has stayed at Gonzaga so long, but the idea that a mid major program IS the coach and as soon as he leaves the program collapses is wrong.

We'll see how this works out. The aforementioned Grant was supposed to be a great hire at Alabama, didn't work out. Come to think of it Capel flopped at Oklahoma, too. Maybe hiring young up and comers from VCU is a bad idea?

Zagsker
04-02-2015, 09:54 PM

Yup

willandi
04-03-2015, 06:05 AM
I heard/read a couple of days ago that Texas was looking to hire Smart. They said the back-up plan was to go for Krystowiak at Utah if Smart said no.

Is Texas a better coaching job than Pac 12 Utah? Doesn't seem like it to me! I know that Krystowiak jumped frpm Montana to Utah, but thats Big Sky to Pac 12, I can see that. Just doesn't seem to me that Texas is better than Utah.

rennis
04-03-2015, 06:28 AM
Is Texas a better coaching job than Pac 12 Utah? Doesn't seem like it to me!

I would say so. Utah has had some good teams and gets some pub once in a while, but they don't have the national fan base that Texas enjoys, the constant media attention, or the resources. Texas has been kind of down lately, but they've only themselves to blame. How they don't contend with Kansas for 1st place in the B12 every year blows my mind.

kclubfounder
04-03-2015, 06:44 AM
I don't know that VCU is going to disappear now. They were good before Smart was coaching. Anthony Grant had a nice stint there. So did Jeff Capel. Xavier has stayed relevant thru probably their last 5 coaches. It's unique that Few has stayed at Gonzaga so long, but the idea that a mid major program IS the coach and as soon as he leaves the program collapses is wrong.

We'll see how this works out. The aforementioned Grant was supposed to be a great hire at Alabama, didn't work out. Come to think of it Capel flopped at Oklahoma, too. Maybe hiring young up and comers from VCU is a bad idea?

Since 1985 VCU has won a grand total of one NCAA tournament games when Smart was not the coach.

gonzagafan62
04-03-2015, 06:55 AM
Since 1985 VCU has won a grand total of one NCAA tournament games when Smart was not the coach.

As an 11 seed vs Duke, IIRC.... Eric MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!

Birddog
04-03-2015, 07:04 AM
I heard/read a couple of days ago that Texas was looking to hire Smart. They said the back-up plan was to go for Krystowiak at Utah if Smart said no.

Is Texas a better coaching job than Pac 12 Utah? Doesn't seem like it to me! I know that Krystowiak jumped frpm Montana to Utah, but thats Big Sky to Pac 12, I can see that. Just doesn't seem to me that Texas is better than Utah.

JMO, but I'd say Texas is better by quite a bit. The vast talent pool alone is impressive. Since football is king, you can operate a little more freely too. Barnes got a couple extra years because of that, again IMO.

Zagceo
04-03-2015, 07:07 AM
JMO, but I'd say Texas is better by quite a bit. The vast talent pool alone is impressive. Since football is king, you can operate a little more freely too. Barnes got a couple extra years because of that, again IMO.

I agree also have endowment advantage …….$3 B vs $ 844 m

willandi
04-03-2015, 07:52 AM
Thanks. I was just wondering. I'm sure the coach would be paid substantially more too, and when you only have a few million, you have to rack up as much as you can, as fast as you can. Never know when the pipeline will dry up!

CDC84
04-03-2015, 07:57 AM

In the words of one famous college basketball analyst, Texas is the best D-1 men's basketball coaching job that there is. Why?

1) Unlimited resources for coaching salaries, recruiting budgets, etc. Big time money.

2) More talented players come out of the state of Texas than any other. Easy recruiting for 4 and 5 star players.

3) Best strength and conditioning program in the country

4) First rate facilities

5) Minimal pressure. Rick Barnes lasted 17 years.

6) Tremendous city to live.

Texas is a football school, but it actually makes the basketball job more appealing. The fans and boosters want to win ....but they just don't care about the sport. That's the strength of the job. Despite the fact that Kentucky is undefeated at the final four, their crazy fans are still picking apart every decision Calipari makes, every lineup he puts out, every timeout that he calls. It's constantly scrutiny. At Texas they leave you alone so long as you win. They don't care about the minute details.

You can compete for national championships and top 15 players at Texas. Even after taking Utah to the national title game, Majerus was never able to elevate the program beyond where he had it. Only so many kids want to go there, and I don't know how much their Pac 12 affiliation is going to change that. Maybe a little.

scrooner
04-03-2015, 08:31 AM
Here's a take on it from John Canzano:

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2015/04/canzano_shaka_smart_has_no_ide.html

I wonder if Patterson has had an effect on Texas' lack of success.

LongIslandZagFan
04-03-2015, 08:37 AM
I believe it is now called VC-Who?

gonzagafan62
04-03-2015, 08:43 AM
I believe it is now called VC-Who?

One thing that might keep them afloat is their conference, and that it will still be a little easier to recruit than it would be if they were still in the CAA. I guess that's te lone bright spot. Although that conference is pretty tough, so it might take a little while with a new coach. They might be ok.

seacatfan
04-03-2015, 09:58 AM
Again, why are most of you so convinced VCU falls off the map now? He certainly didn't invent basketball there, he took over a program that had been doing well for almost a decade before he took over. Capel went 79-41 (.658) and Grant went 76-25 (.752). Smart was 137-46 (.748). When Grant left there were probably concerns about what happens next and Smart was pretty much unknown. How do all of you KNOW they won't plug in another coach and continue to win? Smart's run to the Final 4 was impressive, but he's won a grand total of 2 Tournament games in 4 appearances since then. He's gotten A LOT of mileage out of that one surprising run. I won't be the least bit surprised if he doesn't pull it off at Texas and is considered somewhat disappointing within 4-5 years.

LongIslandZagFan
04-03-2015, 10:47 AM
Again, why are most of you so convinced VCU falls off the map now? He certainly didn't invent basketball there, he took over a program that had been doing well for almost a decade before he took over. Capel went 79-41 (.658) and Grant went 76-25 (.752). Smart was 137-46 (.748). When Grant left there were probably concerns about what happens next and Smart was pretty much unknown. How do all of you KNOW they won't plug in another coach and continue to win? Smart's run to the Final 4 was impressive, but he's won a grand total of 2 Tournament games in 4 appearances since then. He's gotten A LOT of mileage out of that one surprising run. I won't be the least bit surprised if he doesn't pull it off at Texas and is considered somewhat disappointing within 4-5 years.

We'll see. But I suspect they aren't going to be all that great going forward.

gonzagafan62
04-03-2015, 11:02 AM

Xavier has gone through multiple head coaches (another CBB miracle) but has stayed pretty consistent over the years. Not saying this would happen, but just a thought.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
04-03-2015, 11:10 AM

If Mark Few had left GU in, say, 2004...would your opinion have been the same? That we'd have dropped off severely?

LongIslandZagFan
04-03-2015, 11:33 AM
If Mark Few had left GU in, say, 2004...would your opinion have been the same? That we'd have dropped off severely?

Quite possibly, yes. But Apples to oranges. Billy, then Leon, and now Tommy were tapped to take over years in advance. Doubt VCU has the same continuity built in and would be outright shocked if he didn't take much of his staff with him.

seacatfan
04-03-2015, 12:10 PM
Quite possibly, yes. But Apples to oranges. Billy, then Leon, and now Tommy were tapped to take over years in advance. Doubt VCU has the same continuity built in and would be outright shocked if he didn't take much of his staff with him.

Capel's run started in 2002. There has been no drop-off since then, there have been 2 other coaches and about to be a third. I'm not sure but I would assume Grant was an assistant under Capel and Smart an assistant under Grant. If that isn't some continuity I don't know what is.

Xavier has been mentioned as an example a couple times. They've had a few off years, but basically have been competitive in whatever conference they've been in and regularly been included in the Tourney dating back to 1985. They've had 5 coaches during that span (Gillen, Prosser, Matta, Miller and Mack). Not one of them has dropped the ball, just kept it rolling along.

Everybody thinks of Brad Stevens when they think of Butler. He's not the one that got that program going though. Matta had a brief stint there, but Todd Lickliter really put them on the map, got to the Sweet 16 twice. Obviously Stevens put them over the top. After a brief hiccup with a bad hire immediately following Stevens, they seem to be back on track again.

Tulsa eventually tanked but they had a long run of being successful under various coaches and were one of the best programs around for developing coaches before they went on to bigger and better things (Nolan Richardson, Tubby Smith, Bill Self--that's a whole lot of wins and multiple National Titles from those guys).

There are enough examples of mid major programs that didn't fall apart after a coach left to make a reasonable assumption it's not an automatic that VCU totally fades now. Obviously there are plenty of examples where the coach leaving does lead to an immediate downturn.

RenoZag
04-04-2015, 07:56 AM
ESPN posted an article re: The Smart Intro Presser

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12614093/shaka-smart-introduced-new-texas-longhorns-coach-college-basketball

He is leaving for a Texas program that hasn't been able to nudge Kansas from atop the Big 12. But the Longhorns have the wealthiest athletic department in the country, and easy access to some of the nation's biggest recruiting grounds in Dallas and Houston.

"The caliber of player goes up when you're talking about Texas and you're talking about the Big 12," Smart told "SportsCenter." "But the things that you're looking for in a player do not change in terms of coachability, being a highly energetic player out there on the floor, being a versatile guy and being somebody that gives your teammates energy. We're going to look for those same core characteristics. It just may be a little bit more talented individual."

DixieZag
04-04-2015, 08:14 AM

Absolutely no one could go wrong with hiring either one of them. I suspect it will take a very special off to move Krys, he is already at a Pac school with a good history from the Majerus term and a very livable city. Texas and Austin might have been one of those very special offers. This may sound snobby, but I do not understand how Marshall could turn down Texas and Austin to remain at Wichita, I think if it was only money driving the decision Texas would have come up.

I don't mean offense to the people in Wichita, it is more that Austin is a one of a kind wonderful place.

MJ777
04-04-2015, 10:57 AM
Absolutely no one could go wrong with hiring either one of them. I suspect it will take a very special off to move Krys, he is already at a Pac school with a good history from the Majerus term and a very livable city. Texas and Austin might have been one of those very special offers. This may sound snobby, but I do not understand how Marshall could turn down Texas and Austin to remain at Wichita, I think if it was only money driving the decision Texas would have come up.

I don't mean offense to the people in Wichita, it is more that Austin is a one of a kind wonderful place.

Didn't Few turn down advances from Texas to stay in Spokane? WAZZU is an example of how a mid major program dropped off after losing their coach to Virginia.

Dogtownkid
04-04-2015, 12:52 PM
Prior to 1999, I could get a seat in the old kennel free just for being an alum. A year or so later, alums would have a party with free hotdogs, popcorn, and soda and beer (I think) but couldn't get into the kennel. They set up a big screen so we could watch it in a big room/hall outside the kennel. I watched on the big screen only one year because it was too blurry. I went home and watched on my non-big, non HD, non-LED screen.

My memory is a bit fuzzy, though, so I'm not sure of when this took place. However, it would have to be after 1996, as that's when I returned to live in Spokane. My clearest aural memory is of some kid yelling an obscene suggestion at Richie Frahm.