PDA

View Full Version : Draftexpress has Domas going #18 in 2016 draft

thespywhozaggedme
04-02-2015, 09:15 AM
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2016/

gonzagafan62
04-02-2015, 09:17 AM
Kyle Wiltjer is also on there at #49. We will see with Sabonis though. I am not completely sold he will be going in 2016.

jchocolate99
04-02-2015, 09:29 AM
Kyle Wiltjer is also on there at #49. We will see with Sabonis though. I am not completely sold he will be going in 2016.

He's already said multiple times he's not leaving early for the NBA... One article qouted him as saying he plans to stay all four years which I have a hard time believing that so I'm gonna go with at least three years we'll have him

thespywhozaggedme
04-02-2015, 09:44 AM
Got a link?
He's already said multiple times he's not leaving early for the NBA... One article qouted him as saying he plans to stay all four years which I have a hard time believing that so I'm gonna go with at least three years we'll have him

Mr Vulture
04-02-2015, 10:03 AM
I could see Domas flirting with the lottery as soon as next year, especially if he develops a 12-14ft game. I believe the entire reason he came to the States was to get a degree and to improve his game. If he wanted to make money and play professionally he could have stayed where he was at. I think that he likely stays 3 years, earns his degree, and then goes to the NBA.

CDC84
04-02-2015, 10:18 AM
I would be surprised if Sabonis is not at GU at least three years....if not all four. He was zero financial incentive to go pro. Family is loaded.

Zags11
04-02-2015, 10:32 AM
I would be surprised if Sabonis is not at GU at least three years....if not all four. He was zero financial incentive to go pro. Family is loaded.

If he stays all 4 yrs, he will be best of all time.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
04-02-2015, 10:39 AM
Got a link?

Sure do! Not a direct quote, but very, very encouraging. If he stays four years, I think one of those years he'll take us to the Final Four.

"That appealed to Domas, who said he expects to stay at Gonzaga for four years."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2407454-gonzagas-domas-sabonis-taking-the-basketball-path-his-father-couldnt?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

MJ777
04-02-2015, 11:33 AM
Okafor needs to stay for another year and work on his D. I hope Sabonis stays for 4 or at least 3 years. Maybe I will proven to be wrong, but I think Sabonis has more upside than Okafor and will have a better NBA career.

gonzagafan62
04-02-2015, 11:48 AM
Okafor needs to stay for another year and work on his D. I hope Sabonis stays for 4 or at least 3 years. Maybe I will proven to be wrong, but I think Sabonis has more upside than Okafor and will have a better NBA career.

I think you are exactly right MJ. Okafor doesn't have anything on Sabonis in my mind. We saw what sabonis did to him Sunday. I wouldn't draft Okafor.

jazzdelmar
04-02-2015, 11:52 AM
DS will b third team AA next yr w just normal improvement. Especially a foul line jumper and threat from 3.

CanadianZagFan
04-02-2015, 11:57 AM
While I do not have the closeness to the program that some on the board do, I feel Sabonis will leave for the NBA after his sophomore year.

Ekrub
04-02-2015, 12:02 PM
I think you are exactly right MJ. Okafor doesn't have anything on Sabonis in my mind. We saw what sabonis did to him Sunday. I wouldn't draft Okafor.

Okafor struggled against us but he is a hell of a talent. Top 5 without a doubt

sittingon50
04-02-2015, 12:09 PM

Based on that 1 game, Pangos wouldn't get a sniff in Europe, either.

Trust the body of work.

willandi
04-02-2015, 12:13 PM
Okafor struggled against us but he is a hell of a talent. Top 5 without a doubt

I don't expect Okafor to be allowed his double shoulder move to the basket, once he gets to the NBA. If he had played in the 'weak' WCC, he would have learned that everywhere except in Duke games, that move is a foul. I expect him to be drafted high and prove to be an OK player at best.

But, thats just my opinion. You are welcome to yours.

MickMick
04-02-2015, 12:42 PM
DS will b third team AA next yr w just normal improvement. Especially a foul line jumper and threat from 3.

If Sabonis is hitting foul line jumpers and is a threat from 3, he is first team AA. I'll believe it when I see it when it comes to the shooting. He just isn't a "face up" player. He has the nifty footwork to be a force inside though.

Just getting stronger, getting in slightly better rebound position (to avoid the "over the back" and near miss "over the back" calls), and developing a decent hook shot, will easily get him 3rd team AA. Especially when added minutes increase his rebound totals. Sabonis needs to put his rump into people instead of shoving them and then crawling up their back for a rebound. He will get it in due time. Still young.

gonzagafan62
04-02-2015, 12:52 PM
Based on that 1 game, Pangos wouldn't get a sniff in Europe, either.

Trust the body of work.

He didn't play well against Utah either. Idk just from what I saw he didn't look like the second best player in the country. You're right though..... Full body of work. I saw him okay a couple it get times and he didn't look great. Maybe I'm watching the wrong games lol

thegloriousgoateeofKP
04-02-2015, 12:58 PM
I haven't been that impressed with Okafor either. But NBA drafting is as much about projecting how a player will develop and improve as it is how a player has performed in the past.

It might be the case that Okafor, according to the NBA scouts, has a higher ceiling than Domas/Karno/whoever.

Mr Vulture
04-02-2015, 01:10 PM
You've lost your mind there! You "wouldn't draft Okafor" at all, that is crazy. Yes, he is still developing, but he is clearly one of the Top 3 prospects in the draft. He has athleticism that Sabonis will never have. That doesn't mean that Sabonis won't end up the better player, but there is a reason why Sabonis wouldn't even be a lottery pick this year.

I love the Zags too but let's get some perspective....:lmao:

zagsfanforlife
04-02-2015, 01:42 PM
You've lost your mind there! You "wouldn't draft Okafor" at all, that is crazy. Yes, he is still developing, but he is clearly one of the Top 3 prospects in the draft. He has athleticism that Sabonis will never have. That doesn't mean that Sabonis won't end up the better player, but there is a reason why Sabonis wouldn't even be a lottery pick this year.

Not sure how many of you have seen Okafor outside the Zags game and Utah game. I have watched him about 10 times this year and at times he has looked like the best inside pro prospect since Tim Duncan in my opinion. The guy has excellent footwork, a soft touch, and very good athleticism.

gonzagafan62
04-02-2015, 01:47 PM

I would draft a different player, around the draft range. I don't like his defense, and I don't like his intangibles. Just me though. If he fell to me in the late part of the first round though (which wouldn't happen) then yes I would draft him.

Marcus
04-02-2015, 02:34 PM
While I do not have the closeness to the program that some on the board do, I feel Sabonis will leave for the NBA after his sophomore year.

I agree but would be pleasently surprised if it was a longer stay. He just has the "it" factor. Just look at what he has done this year alone, he has all the skills and intangables you need to be great. I don't remember anyone he played against getting the upper hand on him. His problems were usually things he could control like the over agressive stuff.

JokerZag
04-02-2015, 03:09 PM
Assuming karnowski comes back, there will simply not be enough shots for Sabonis to put up huge ppg next year. Junior year, he's the offensive lynch pin and he'll have a respectable mid-range game, will go on to be our third lottery pick.

DixieZag
04-02-2015, 04:21 PM

I think a real threat from three might raise it even more.

Without regard for four years or degrees or loaded or whatever, his family has enough money to get an insurance policy over a blown Achilles or spear in the back, so that there is no downside to staying for the degree. However, if offered 3 years right now, I'd take that and run all the way to the Final Four.

Zagger
04-03-2015, 01:53 AM
My hunch is that Sabonis will stay 3 years minimum - and 4 most likely - simply due to why he came to GU in the first place. He'll play for the NBA eventually but why should He rush it? Get a degree, have a great college experience, play in the Dance w/ pals his age, help out a program that's going to help him out as well. The more Don'tmiss develops @ GU the more of a splash he'll make earlier when he is in the NBA. The kid has a different set of wants vs. needs than most athelets in his position.

jazzdelmar
04-03-2015, 04:12 AM
He is a legit 18 years old now, not a 20-21 yo freshman like many who are, shall we say, older high school "grads" who then prep a year before hitting the college scene. So even less of a hurry.

raise the zag
04-03-2015, 06:10 AM
Not sure how many of you have seen Okafor outside the Zags game and Utah game. I have watched him about 10 times this year and at times he has looked like the best inside pro prospect since Tim Duncan in my opinion. The guy has excellent footwork, a soft touch, and very good athleticism.

True, yet how many teams in college hoops play three skilled bigs in the front court, which happen to be 6'10", 6'10" (and growing), and 7'1".

Easy. None.

Yes, Wisconsin has some size, so does Purdue, yet not one ACC team or ANY team has our set of bigs (save NBA lite Kentucky).

Okafor was limited and somewhat intimidated, especially following Sabonis' stuff on him.

It certainly wasn't Duke's front court that beat us, not even close.

It was our lack of moxy/confidence in the backcourt on BOTH sides of the court.

Our bigs held their own and held Okafor in check, much like he'll see in the NBA even better.

Guards are more of a gamble, and I definitely believe Okafor is a great talent, yet based on NCAA play I might draft Tyus Jones before any of them. He's going to be a stud someday.

Mr Vulture
04-03-2015, 10:35 AM
LOL..okay, we'll have to agree to disagree. I think Okafor is clearly on the three best prospects in college basketball as do most observers. The only other guys I'd consider are Karl Anthony Towns and maybe Willy Cauley Stein or Emmanuel Mudiay. No one else has the skillset and upside to be worth a Top 3 pick. Sabonis, who I love for the future, is not even close to the guys right now. As I've said though, if Domas can develop a solid 12-14ft faceup game he could be a lottery pick as soon as next year. No matter what he does, he will never be a Top 3 pick though, just due to his limited athleticism in comparison to other prospects.

I would draft a different player, around the draft range. I don't like his defense, and I don't like his intangibles. Just me though. If he fell to me in the late part of the first round though (which wouldn't happen) then yes I would draft him.

kitzbuel
04-03-2015, 11:01 AM
He would be a Kelly Olynyk on steroids if he does that and KO was a first teamer.

CDC84
04-03-2015, 11:04 AM
I think some people are overrating Okafor's athleticism. Part of the reason why he isn't a good defender is because he lacks lateral foot speed and leaping ability. It's all over his NBA prospect write ups:

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/jahlil-okafor

What Okafor is: tall, coordinated, fluid, and extraordinarily skilled for a big man his age. He's quick with his feet, has very few bad habits, and is a good passer out of the post. High basketball IQ.

Sabonis not that athletic? Did you see the vicious dunks that I did this year....both on the break and in traffic? I'm not saying he's Josh Heytvelt, but he isn't exactly a guy whose feet are in cement. That being said, he is far from a finished product.

MickMick
04-03-2015, 11:51 AM
Karnowski and Sabonis were surprisingly effective in man defense on Okafor.

Okafor reminds me a lot of Jared Sullinger from Ohio State. Very skilled, very good player but not a freak athlete. I expect his game to translate to the NBA almost parallel to Sullinger's. A solid player that will get meaningful playing time, not a liability, but not a guy that will consistently take over games.

seacatfan
04-03-2015, 12:18 PM
Karnowski and Sabonis were surprisingly effective in man defense on Okafor.

Okafor reminds me a lot of Jared Sullinger from Ohio State. Very skilled, very good player but not a freak athlete. I expect his game to translate to the NBA almost parallel to Sullinger's. A solid player that will get meaningful playing time, not a liability, but not a guy that will consistently take over games.

I think that's a good comparison. For whatever reason Okafor has garnered a lot more hype than Sullinger ever did. Totally agree that Okafor is not particularly athletic, not sure where the idea that he is is coming from? It was a small sample size, but Okafor was totally unimpressive in the 2 games in Houston. Got totally held in check by both Utah and Gonzaga. Winslow appeared to have a much higher ceiling than Okafor at the next level.

CDC84
04-03-2015, 12:29 PM
One difference between the Okafor and Sullinger is that one is 6-11 while the other is 6-9 (and really close to 6-8).

MickMick
04-03-2015, 03:05 PM
I think that's a good comparison. For whatever reason Okafor has garnered a lot more hype than Sullinger ever did. Totally agree that Okafor is not particularly athletic, not sure where the idea that he is is coming from? It was a small sample size, but Okafor was totally unimpressive in the 2 games in Houston. Got totally held in check by both Utah and Gonzaga. Winslow appeared to have a much higher ceiling than Okafor at the next level.

Winslow is the most impressive college player I have seen this season. He is going to be a steal for some NBA team because I believe he is vastly undervalued. I mean a power forward that can pick the pocket of a point guard and take it the distance the other way. Has clutch three point range. Timely rebounds. Always seems to be in the right place at the right time, doing the right thing. Has some girth to him, not easily shoved around. IQ off the charts for a true freshman and totally clutch on the big stage.

If I was a NBA GM, I would trade into the slot he is expected to go. I think he is the steal of the draft. I also think he is better than anyone that plays for Kentucky and between Winslow and both Jones, UK is going to have trouble scoring enough points to stay with Duke.

GrizZAG
04-03-2015, 04:21 PM
Totally agree with MM on Winslow. Kid is really impressive and him coming back into the game was a factor for certain.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
04-03-2015, 04:45 PM
I was at the UNC-Duke game at Cameron Indoor this year. He had a huge and-1 play at some point in the second half, and I very clearly read his lips as he said, "And-one ni%^&a" at whichever UNC player fouled him.

Been conflicted on Okafor since. On one hand, he's a kid and was caught up in the moment of a big game with a raucous crowd and I appreciate that enthusiasm and passion. On the other, his taunting was sort of off-putting.

ZagsObserver
04-04-2015, 03:16 PM
Although it's not a big surprise, Sabonis is officially returning. Article is on espn by Goodman. Can't get the link to paste on my phone

bballbeachbum
04-04-2015, 03:40 PM
foul line jumper not difficult to learn. it's learnable

jazzdelmar
04-04-2015, 03:44 PM
foul line jumper not difficult to learn. it's learnable

Yup. It was open all season for him and I think he took it only once or twice. If pushed up he goes right by most NCAA bigs.

bballbeachbum
04-04-2015, 03:50 PM
Yup. It was open all season for him and I think he took it only once or twice. If pushed up he goes right by most NCAA bigs.

why not Karno too right? huge weapon for the Gasol brothers

jazzdelmar
04-04-2015, 03:54 PM
why not Karno too right? huge weapon for the Gasol brothers

Karno nowhere as quick or sure handed as DS but, yes, a foul line jumper wd be an asset. We've seen his banker. :)

bballbeachbum
04-04-2015, 03:59 PM
Karno nowhere as quick or sure handed as DS but, yes, a foul line jumper wd be an asset. We've seen his banker. :)

indeed but that could also be learned. Karno's hands are pretty good seems to me, both his and Domas'

jazzdelmar
04-04-2015, 04:03 PM
indeed but that could also be learned. Karno's hands are pretty good seems to me, both his and Domas'

Karno an exquisite passer but hands just above average. Sabonis's a vise.

Marcus
04-04-2015, 04:40 PM
Karno an equisite passer but hands just above average. Sabonis's a vise.

Absolutely. Domas has extremely strong hands. He can really control the ball on rebounds and very rarely gets stripped going up. Almost always gets his shot off. Karno has great touch, can really catch and shoot but gets stripped more.

gonzagafan62
04-04-2015, 05:46 PM
Absolutely. Domas has extremely strong hands. He can really control the ball on rebounds and very rarely gets stripped going up. Almost always gets his shot off. Karno has great touch, can really catch and shoot but gets stripped more.

Exactly. Domas cuts down in the over the back fouls, he will be even more of a monster than he already is.

bballbeachbum
04-04-2015, 05:59 PM
Karno an exquisite passer but hands just above average. Sabonis's a vise.

Karno's hands for his size are amazing, on Sabonis absolutely, exactly

Jstock12
04-04-2015, 06:53 PM
Sabonis has finished his first season in GU and he's still 18. If he were to stay full 4 years, he'd finish playing basketball in GU when he's still 21 and start his first season in NBA at age 22. Not a lot of guys get many minutes in the NBA even at that age (unless they're franchise caliber talents), so there's no rush for him to get drafted so soon. Remember Tim Duncan? He stayed for four years at Wake Forest. The guy turned out "OK".