PDA

View Full Version : Potential Players for 2015 Class

Mr Vulture
04-01-2015, 09:10 AM
Although I post often on threads, I rarely start one. However, in this case, I don't feel like there is a current thread that addresses potential players for our 2015 class. I know that Jesse Wade signed but won't arrive until 2017. It seems as if we have three open spots for this year and possibly four. If anyone knows about any players or hears any news...that would be great to hear.

GO ZAGS!

HenneZag
04-01-2015, 09:15 AM
I know of 2 potential players we are currently looking at.

1. Frederico Mussini PG/SG, European player that is apparently visiting soon.
2. Tyson Jolly SG/Wing out of Oklahoma that is visiting soon as well.

I believe both these players are 2015 guys

Mr Vulture
04-01-2015, 09:18 AM
Good to know...I do remember hearing something about Jolly but don't knwo much about him. I thought the Mussini ship had sailed so that is good news to hear that he may be visiting soon. Wasn't there another Euro player, think maybe the name was Ruiz, that was thinking about Gonzaga at one point??

basketballzag
04-01-2015, 09:26 AM
Good to know...I do remember hearing something about Jolly but don't knwo much about him. I thought the Mussini ship had sailed so that is good news to hear that he may be visiting soon. Wasn't there another Euro player, think maybe the name was Ruiz, that was thinking about Gonzaga at one point??

Add into the mix 2015 SG Victor Dukes out of Arkansas who will also be visiting Gonzaga the same time that Tyson Jolly is.
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/187134/victor-dukes

gonzagafan62
04-01-2015, 09:27 AM
Add into the mix 2015 SG Victor Dukes out of Arkansas who will also be visiting Gonzaga the same time that Tyson Jolly is.
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/187134/victor-dukes

I think we need a guy with the last name "Duke"s

HenneZag
04-01-2015, 09:37 AM
Well this Victor DUke can get up.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/02/video-one-of-the-greatest-dunks-youll-ever-see/

SWZag
04-01-2015, 09:44 AM

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/02/video-one-of-the-greatest-dunks-youll-ever-see/

Wow!

http://www.ilpallonaro.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/victor-dukes.png

WallaWallaZag
04-01-2015, 09:50 AM

good lord...bring him in just for the guy landry-edi factor...c.griff x 10...

Mr Vulture
04-01-2015, 11:13 AM
Wow...I think dunks get overplayed these days but in this case, look at the height he gets. This was as a Sophomore in high school too! With that said, the twitter is a bit disconcerting for a school like Gonzaga. In any case, the staff/players always vet out any concerns.

VaBeachZAG
04-01-2015, 12:27 PM
Agreed. If this is the judgement that someone has on twitter, what other judgement issues will there be? Not sure how they could fit into what we want from our team. I try to take things with a grain of salt, but this one is too far out to make me want him to come here. There are far too many players out there who will be a benefit to the university instead of an embarrassment.

I think we have the luxury (not to mention the necessity) to be extremely selective at this point in time. GU doesn't need to "settle" for someone simply because they are freaky athletic, UNLESS they also possess great character and a team first mentality (two traits for which Wesely may well have been the gold standard).

DukeSilver
04-01-2015, 01:23 PM
Apparently the absurdity of a group of adults sitting around and judging a 17 year-old's Twitter account is beyond some of the people here ... I would move that the mods remove all such posts from this thread and any others.

If we excluded from consideration all players who had, at some point or another, displayed questionable judgement, then we wouldn't even have a damn basketball team. All 17 year-olds do stupid stuff, whether you can find it on their Twitter accounts or not.

Birddog
04-01-2015, 01:24 PM
Here's a tear old article about Jolly's condition.

Tyson, being who he is, asked the nurse when he could play basketball again.

“They said that most kids who have this, when they pass out, they don’t wake up.”

http://newsok.com/high-school-basketball-pc-wests-tyson-jolly-survives-health-scare-but-basketball-will-have-to-wait/article/3939487

Zag 77
04-01-2015, 01:58 PM
Hey, Gerard Coleman could dunk too (if nobody was within a mile of him), but he could not do anything else. Remember Charles Barkley once said "any knucklehead can score."

Mr Vulture
04-01-2015, 02:06 PM
Really? So we shouldn't care about the overtly lewd comments put out on twitter when discussing whether a potential recruit fits the culture? I know that I said, and many feel, that the staff/team will vet out any concerns. However, this twitter account was way out there in its content.

Apparently the absurdity of a group of adults sitting around and judging a 17 year-old's Twitter account is beyond some of the people here ... I would move that the mods remove all such posts from this thread and any others.

If we excluded from consideration all players who had, at some point or another, displayed questionable judgement, then we wouldn't even have a damn basketball team. All 17 year-olds do stupid stuff, whether you can find it on their Twitter accounts or not.

DukeSilver
04-01-2015, 02:17 PM
Really? So we shouldn't care about the overtly lewd comments put out on twitter when discussing whether a potential recruit fits the culture? I know that I said, and many feel, that the staff/team will vet out any concerns. However, this twitter account was way out there in its content.

Care all you'd like, but discussing it in this fashion and in this venue is inappropriate - plain and simple. We don't know this young man in any kind of depth that would allow us to pass judgement on his character, yet some here have already deemed him unsuitable to be a member of our program. Frankly, it's indicative of a holier-than-thou mentality that is unbecoming and unrepresentative of our fan base.

Mantua
04-01-2015, 02:36 PM

I have some questions about the adults who are not helping this kid.

cjm720
04-01-2015, 02:48 PM
Wow!

http://www.ilpallonaro.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/victor-dukes.png

pic has to be fake

meadgrad02
04-01-2015, 03:05 PM
Obviously fake, look at how much brighter his jersey is compared to his teammates... a good April fools pic.

basketballzag
04-01-2015, 03:09 PM
Obviously fake, look at how much brighter his jersey is compared to his teammates... a good April fools pic.

Picture is legit not an April Fools Joke. Kid scored 68 pts a few weeks ago and avgs 40 pts per game. Larry Brown is recruiting him very hard

Kong-Kool-Aid
04-01-2015, 03:24 PM

No, it's not your job to care. These are kids, the staff will decide if they are a good fit, that's what they are paid for and that's what they will do. It serves no purpose to disparage any of these potential recruits.

People questioned the character of McLellan before he got here, I don't see anyone doing that now.

DukeSilver
04-01-2015, 03:24 PM
You could not be more wrong. I think its great that our fan base cares about the character of the young men coming to our program. Its what separates us from a lot of top programs in the country. As far as facebook and twitter, many employers are now using this to vet potential employees character . If these kids dont think potential college coaches are not aware of what is on their twitter accounts they are pretty stupid.

We are not his potential "employers", we're just the peanut gallery working off what can only be graciously characterized as an incomplete picture. The potential "employers" would be the coaches and staff. Leave the character judgements up them.

DukeSilver
04-01-2015, 03:25 PM
People questioned the character of McLellan before he got here, I don't see anyone doing that now.

Exactly.

seacatfan
04-01-2015, 03:26 PM
Picture is legit not an April Fools Joke. Kid scored 68 pts a few weeks ago and avgs 40 pts per game. Larry Brown is recruiting him very hard

Hopefully works out better than the last high school stud Larry Brown signed.

GoZags
04-01-2015, 03:32 PM
I have some questions about the adults who are not helping this kid.

Correct.

That is a huge part of the "vetting" and "due diligence" part of recruiting.... something the Gonzaga staff (Basketball and Academic) are pretty good at doing.

jazzdelmar
04-01-2015, 03:33 PM
Hopefully works out better than the last high school stud Larry Brown signed.

Well he does have Iverson experience.

seacatfan
04-01-2015, 03:42 PM
Well he does have Iverson experience.

I'm just referring to the guy that was declared ineligible and has spent the year playing in China.

jazzdelmar
04-01-2015, 04:02 PM
I'm just referring to the guy that was declared ineligible and has spent the year playing in China.

I know. But coach Brown's years with AI were certainly instructive when it comes to his dealing with ballplayers with, shall we say, behavioral baggage.

seacatfan
04-01-2015, 04:14 PM
I know. But coach Brown's years with AI were certainly instructive when it comes to his dealing with ballplayers with, shall we say, behavioral baggage.

We talkin' bout practice, man. Not a game. Practice.

Yeah, AI was a bit of a unique character.

scrooner
04-01-2015, 04:38 PM

Is there a source for those stats? I can only find this: http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/victor-dukes/cVyzCH_QEeS00gAmVebEWg/default.htm

and some interesting discussion on Victor Dukes and pork steaks here: http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=568677.0

Mr Vulture
04-01-2015, 07:34 PM
If it's not my job to care, what is my job as a supporter of Gonzaga Athletics? You have seemingly ignored that twice I said that the coaches and players would ultimately vet any concerns. Also, questioning whether a player fits the culture at GU is not disparaging in any way. I have not one time said anything about the kids game, or maturity. I simply agreed that I have some worries with the questionable Twitter posts.

Just for the record, I never once questioned the staff bringing McClellan.

No, it's not your job to care. These are kids, the staff will decide if they are a good fit, that's what they are paid for and that's what they will do. It serves no purpose to disparage any of these potential recruits.

MDABE80
04-01-2015, 07:50 PM
Good for Brown. If those tweets are correct, I'd have seriously doubts the kid would fit..even if he has 100 in vertical. something's wrong with that brain........even for a 17 yr old. Few knows though....I'd let him sort it out. You can bet those tweets will follow him though. Kid does shoot well and jumps like crazy.......

thespywhozaggedme
04-01-2015, 07:54 PM
That pic is an awful photoshop

zagfan94
04-01-2015, 08:17 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MerJpZw7Puk

Zags_Fanatic
04-01-2015, 11:29 PM

Looks more to me like a screenshot of an ESPN highlight were they highlight the player in the video. Dunk is legit, see the video above. Definitely lifted off his opponent rugby style, but he was up there.

thespywhozaggedme
04-02-2015, 05:21 AM
I stand corrected. I watched that video 5 times and he stepped on the opponents chest with his right foot and his face with his left; the dude literally climbed up the defender for the dunk. I can honestly say that I have never seen that in my life.

WallaWallaZag
04-02-2015, 05:30 AM

evidently he's also playing in a town of 1,500 people at the 2A level in missouri now since he got kicked out of his second school...according to folks in his original hometown, he's also been known to claim offers that didn't actually exist, so grain of salt and all that...is there actually official word that he'll be visiting together with tyson jolly???

thespywhozaggedme
04-02-2015, 06:40 AM
Sure hope not.
evidently he's also playing in a town of 1,500 people at the 2A level in missouri now since he got kicked out of his second school...according to folks in his original hometown, he's also been known to claim offers that didn't actually exist, so grain of salt and all that...is there actually official word that he'll be visiting together with tyson jolly???

cjm720
04-02-2015, 08:13 AM

That was awesome...dude uses the defenders chest to get an extra lift.

thespywhozaggedme
04-02-2015, 08:28 AM
And face with the left foot.
That was awesome...dude uses the defenders chest to get an extra lift.

DixieZag
04-02-2015, 09:06 AM
There are few things I trust the staff on more than vetting a recruit, they must feel they can work with him or he wouldn't even be visiting, and they'll take a much closer look once he gets here.

I have a real problem with people who judge kids from these tweets and other extraneous matter. (Actually, I have trouble judging players on much of anything other than acts that hurt others). We know all 17 year olds can be prone to immaturity, and stupid things. We also know that many kids don't get an opportunity to get out into the world and see anything beyond what they know from their small little circle. We also know that some kids have no one around saying "no" - especially great athletes. Last, we know we don't want to be judged on certain things we said/believed at 17, we didn't have an internet, one with perfect and infinite memory, hanging over us. Plus, we likely had someone over our shoulder saying "do not write that, it is hurtful, dumb, immature, offensive" whatever. The kids that do have someone saying that, can "appear" far more mature than the one without.

If Few believes a kid fits and has potential, then that is what I believe.

DixieZag
04-02-2015, 09:11 AM
BTW - as phenomenal as that dunk was, that knee got awfully close to that kid's chin. That wasn't that far from being a Perkin's injury - though it is far more a basketball move. Still, rather reckless, how it wasn't called a charge, or something, I'm not sure.

thespywhozaggedme
04-02-2015, 09:23 AM
I just read that entire thread and apparently he's been now kicked off of two teams, finished at a tiny school in the bootheal of Missouri, got a posse after his dunk went viral and has a bad attitude and work ethic. Honest question: Why on earth would we want him?
Is there a source for those stats? I can only find this: http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/victor-dukes/cVyzCH_QEeS00gAmVebEWg/default.htm

and some interesting discussion on Victor Dukes and pork steaks here: http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=568677.0

tinfoilzag
04-02-2015, 09:41 AM
Honest question: Why on earth would we want him?

GU fans are starving for dunks. Even though you know a bacon burger may not be the healthiest choice, it sure smells good when you've been on a diet.

Hoopaholic
04-02-2015, 09:52 AM
GU fans are starving for dunks. Even though you know a bacon burger may not be the healthiest choice, it sure smells good when you've been on a diet.

I am not starving for dunks.....but now I have "the smell" for final 4 appearance

Mr Vulture
04-02-2015, 10:10 AM
The thing is that I don't view what has been posted as people judging the kid per se. I know myself, for one, is primarily questioning whether he would fit the culture at GU. I fully understand kids do immature things but his twitter posts are pretty over the top. Put that with his issues at a couple of schools and I don't think anyone would be wrong wondering about fit. I totally agree that the staff/players always are involved on the fit for a kid and I trust their judgement in every case.

There are few things I trust the staff on more than vetting a recruit, they must feel they can work with him or he wouldn't even be visiting, and they'll take a much closer look once he gets here.

I have a real problem with people who judge kids from these tweets and other extraneous matter. (Actually, I have trouble judging players on much of anything other than acts that hurt others). We know all 17 year olds can be prone to immaturity, and stupid things. We also know that many kids don't get an opportunity to get out into the world and see anything beyond what they know from their small little circle. We also know that some kids have no one around saying "no" - especially great athletes. Last, we know we don't want to be judged on certain things we said/believed at 17, we didn't have an internet, one with perfect and infinite memory, hanging over us. Plus, we likely had someone over our shoulder saying "do not write that, it is hurtful, dumb, immature, offensive" whatever. The kids that do have someone saying that, can "appear" far more mature than the one without.

If Few believes a kid fits and has potential, then that is what I believe.

jchocolate99
04-02-2015, 11:19 AM

We have dunkers already... Melson, Alberts, McClellen, Wiltjer, Draginis (For some reason just wont do it during games), and Griffin are all athletic dunkers especially the first three I listed.

DixieZag
04-02-2015, 11:36 AM
The thing is that I don't view what has been posted as people judging the kid per se. I know myself, for one, is primarily questioning whether he would fit the culture at GU. I fully understand kids do immature things but his twitter posts are pretty over the top. Put that with his issues at a couple of schools and I don't think anyone would be wrong wondering about fit. I totally agree that the staff/players always are involved on the fit for a kid and I trust their judgement in every case.

That's a fair point.

tinfoilzag
04-02-2015, 11:44 AM
For some reason just wont do it during games.

There's the rub.

I want someone who looks to dunk like Pargo did... on a defender ... hard. The only player we have right now with that fire is Sabonis.

This isn't a knock on the players you listed that can dunk, but I wouldn't mind the exclamation point that makes the opposing coach call a timeout. It's the off-season, so why not wish.

zagfan94
04-02-2015, 12:00 PM
got a posse after his dunk went viral

I think that this might be the case. If one was to judge someone from how they play basketball I wouldn't have guessed he'd be tweeting out some of the things that he does. In his highlight videos (all from over two years ago and before the dunk) he seemed quite unboisterous (is that a word?). There was little showmanship, just tough, hard-nosed basketball. Most players after dunking on someone as bad as he did would have felt the need to stare the down the opponent after and let out a war cry, but he just turned around quickly and went back to play defense.

gonzagafan62
04-02-2015, 01:03 PM
I just read that entire thread and apparently he's been now kicked off of two teams, finished at a tiny school in the bootheal of Missouri, got a posse after his dunk went viral and has a bad attitude and work ethic. Honest question: Why on earth would we want him?

While true, and after my stubbornness finally wore off, just why can't we trust the coaches to make that decision for us. That's what they got paid for. They brought in Emac, controlled Heytvelt after his episode, and they have coached so many personalities and different families/ethinic groups/backgrounds, I think they'll know if they can control him or not. If so, they will probably make a run. If not, they will let him walk. That simple.

Marcus
04-02-2015, 02:27 PM
While true, and after my stubbornness finally wore off, just why can't we trust the coaches to make that decision for us. That's what they got paid for. They brought in Emac, controlled Heytvelt after his episode, and they have coached so many personalities and different families/ethinic groups/backgrounds, I think they'll know if they can control him or not. If so, they will probably make a run. If not, they will let him walk. That simple.

I hear what you're saying and I agree. The coaching staff are all great mentors to the young guys. Not only that but the players who will be his older peers/upperclassmen have a ton of influence. Most of the time, for young people, it could go either way depending on your immediate peer group. If you are surrounded by knuckleheads who are along for the ride and obnoxious you are more likely to be a knuclehead too. Sometimes it just takes a change of scenery and some positive role modeling to spark a change.

DixieZag
04-02-2015, 04:24 PM
I hear what you're saying and I agree. The coaching staff are all great mentors to the young guys. Not only that but the players who will be his older peers/upperclassmen have a ton of influence. Most of the time, for young people, it could go either way depending on your immediate peer group. If you are surrounded by knuckleheads who are along for the ride and obnoxious you are more likely to be a knuclehead too. Sometimes it just takes a change of scenery and some positive role modeling to spark a change.

I read a quote from Few at one point saying "if you have a large group of very good guys, one can take a risky player knowing peer pressure will likely keep him in check. If you get just 2 or 3 rough ones, the peer pressure peters out due to a second group forming.

BobZag
04-02-2015, 04:35 PM
Tyler Ennis from Villanova will be a graduate transfer, fyi.

Is this the right thread?

cjm720
04-02-2015, 04:41 PM

Dylan?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/56265/dylan-ennis

Guessing his bro is Tyler...seems like there was another brother too.

Marcus
04-02-2015, 04:41 PM

Do you mean Dylan? He is Tyler's older brother. Tyler plays for the Bucks in the NBA ;) Although it would be cool to get an NBA transfer I'm not so sure it's allowed lol.

Marcus
04-02-2015, 04:50 PM
Dylan would be a great fit, can shoot the 3 and can really play D.

Zagsker
04-02-2015, 04:50 PM
BTW - as phenomenal as that dunk was, that knee got awfully close to that kid's chin. That wasn't that far from being a Perkin's injury - though it is far more a basketball move. Still, rather reckless, how it wasn't called a charge, or something, I'm not sure.

For rice sakes..."reckless?"...the kid is jumping, legs and knees lift when leaping into the air. Could it have been a charge? Sure...should it have been called? Meh

HenneZag
04-08-2015, 06:24 AM
Is there any truth to both Victor Dukes and/or Tyson Jolly visiting Gonzaga here? I believe I thought it was supposed to be this coming weekend but I may be wrong.

LongIslandZagFan
04-08-2015, 06:39 AM
Dylan is Canadian... seems like a perfect fit.

CDC84
04-08-2015, 07:56 AM
Dylan Ennis is supposedly transferring largely because he wants to play at a place where the ball will be in his hands most of the time. That's not going to happen with Ryan Arcidiacono at the point. I also don't know if it's going to happen with Josh Perkins at the point, or even with Eric McClellan at the point at Gonzaga.

It seems to me what Gonzaga needs is a replacement for Byron Wesley....a scoring 2 guard or wing. Dylan doesn't fit that. The guy who fits that bill is Damion Lee from Drexel, but Maryland appears to possess the inside track, and he appears intent on attending a BCS school.

BTW - Dylan is Tyler's older brother.

DixieZag
04-08-2015, 07:59 AM
For rice sakes..."reckless?"...the kid is jumping, legs and knees lift when leaping into the air. Could it have been a charge? Sure...should it have been called? Meh

I just saw this from a few days ago.

Watch it again.

We had someone here say he used the kid's chest to get more elevation, the kid was definitely set in the lane, he definitely went knee first into the kid - whether it was b/c of his jump or not, and he most definitely injured the kid.

You said it could be a charge.

I suppose it's all subjective. It's an incredible athletic play. It also looked reckless to me. But, whatever.

Zagger
04-08-2015, 08:08 AM
The more the merrier when it comes to kids visiting GU. They'll at the least get to see what GU is all about. If they want GU over other schools - that alone says buckets. I'm a public school teacher of 25+ years. I've seen kids change for all sorts of reasons and ... peer examples + a change in home life are right up there for the most likely reasons to create the change. Coming to GU from out of town a kid is going to get a big dose of both. Just saying ... but, one never knows when one takes risks - Life 101!

ProjectMKUltra5
04-08-2015, 08:16 AM
Can somebody explain what to me what is so bad about Jollys twitter? I didn't see anything that was abnormal for a young athlete.

zagfan94
04-08-2015, 08:19 AM
"He may not pass the eye test at 6' 1”with a 6' 2” wingspan and a 154-pound frame, but the Italian was the most polished guard on the floor on Monday and Tuesday and will undoubtedly play an important role as a floor general and shot maker against Team USA. Mussini put on a shooting clinic on Day 1, drilling spot three after spot three during skill sessions, showing how deadly he can be with his feet set. After shooting lights out on Monday, the 1996-born Reggio Emilia guard carved up opponents on Tuesday with his advanced ball handling and crafty finishing around the rim. Mussini hit Maker with a nice behind the back feed out of the pick and roll, finished with his off hand on the right side in traffic, and sliced through the defense with the help of a ball screen and finished a tough And 1. While his ceiling is limited by his physical profile, Mussini has some serious game and will be leaned upon against a guard-heavy USA team."

http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz3Wje165it

Its promising to see him standout against long, 6'4+ guards.

cjm720
04-08-2015, 08:53 AM
Can somebody explain what to me what is so bad about Jollys twitter? I didn't see anything that was abnormal for a young athlete.

He had some posts where he talks about licking assses and other stuff that showed a real level of immaturity...like most kids his age, frankly. If he's coming, coach and team will vet. Trust in Few.

62 corrected me. This was the recruit Duke not Jolly...sorry for the mix up.

WallaWallaZag
04-08-2015, 09:01 AM
any new buzz around potential graduate transfers...or even traditional transfers for that matter?

might want to pick up an athletic big to hedge against sabonis leaving early next year...would be left with just edwards and the incoming collins as it stands now, though hoping narain will fill the potential hole...are zags totally out on cage?

CDC84
04-08-2015, 09:18 AM
The news on possible graduate transfers is going to come out over a long period of time. Kids are still finishing up the spring semester, and some kids are not going to be able to transfer and consider new programs until they complete summer school courses.

Birddog
04-08-2015, 09:24 AM
I don't follow recruiting very closely, but I do find Mussinni to be intriguing to say the least. All the reporters seem to be amazed that he can put up such big numbers given his physical limitations.

hooter73
04-08-2015, 09:28 AM
It seems to me what Gonzaga needs is a replacement for Byron Wesley....a scoring 2 guard or wing. Dylan doesn't fit that. The guy who fits that bill is Damion Lee from Drexel, but Maryland appears to be the inside track, and he appears intent on attending a BCS school.

I think a lot of people will say we dont need a replacement, we have Dranginis... to which I have a hard time disagreeing with but obviously Wesley was a (scoring) step ahead/above. Kyle was a great scorer in HS and took a back seat when he got to GU, dont know if he still has that mid range prowess though. Hes a great all around player but we havent seen him be a scorer yet and I have a hard time believing that the switch will suddenly flip and he'll average double digits his final year, but if you bring someone in to replace him (again) no way is his potential going to be realized ... from this fans perspective anyway.

hooter73
04-08-2015, 09:30 AM
I don't follow recruiting very closely, but I do find Mussinni to be intriguing to say the least. All the reporters seem to be amazed that he can put up such big numbers given his physical limitations.

Its Stockton in the D league without the name. No way should he be able to get triple doubles, but dang if he isnt tearing it up. Mussinni is of course a very interesting prospect, I havent looked at the situation enough to know if its a certain style of play or team that he thrives on and what caliber the other player around him are. All that has a lot to do with how he'd do in NCAA hoops.

gonzagafan62
04-08-2015, 09:43 AM

Nothing was wrong with Jolly's twitter, it was Dukes.

CDC84
04-08-2015, 10:23 AM

One of my favorite college players of all time, Juan Dixon (ex-Maryland guard, national player of the year), only weighed 165 pounds as a NBA player.

I think a lot of people will say we dont need a replacement, we have Dranginis... to which I have a hard time disagreeing with but obviously Wesley was a (scoring) step ahead/above. Kyle was a great scorer in HS and took a back seat when he got to GU, dont know if he still has that mid range prowess though. Hes a great all around player but we havent seen him be a scorer yet and I have a hard time believing that the switch will suddenly flip and he'll average double digits his final year, but if you bring someone in to replace him (again) no way is his potential going to be realized ... from this fans perspective anyway.

I should elaborate on this.....while I think GU's greatest "graduate transfer need" is to find a replacement for Wesley's scoring punch at the wing, I do think they need someone who shoots the 3 better than Byron did. There isn't a single returning perimeter who I feel is a certainty to shoot 40%+ from 3 point land. That concerns me. GU's offense usually works best when there is at least one perimeter who defenses have to be really scared of from deep.

BTW - I am fine with Dranginis starting at the three, but they need someone coming off the bench who is a proven scoring threat at the wing.

webspinnre
04-08-2015, 10:23 AM

The reason we need a replacement for Wesley isn't because of Kyle, but because we don't have anyone besides Kyle, except for possibly Alberts.

hooter73
04-08-2015, 11:19 AM
BTW -they need someone coming off the bench who is a proven scoring threat at the wing.

I dont know. I think this is the perfect year for an unproven to become a proven. I dont think anyone expects another 30+ win season next year with our crop of young guards and maybe Alberts can take the opportunity. I dont know if he is capable of doing this as a player - just dont know enough about him other than the staff saw something they just had to have.

SageOfZagville
04-08-2015, 12:49 PM
I would love to have few try this lineup next year. Start Shem, Wiltjer, Draginis, Perkins, Melson. At some point in the game put Wiltjer at the three along with Sabonis and Shem. It would be a nightmare matchup problem for any team. We have Edwards waiting to come in if any foul trouble arises. We could just post up whoever has the weakest opponent. The downside is that Wiltjer would be overmatched by some threes as they drive to the basket, We could put Sabonis on the opponents three as he tends to move his feet better than Kyle. If they zone us Wiltjer would be more than adequate outside. Think of the offensive boards we could get if all three were crashing. I'm not saying that we need to do this all the time, but for periods of a game it would really cause matchup nightmares for the other team.

cjm720
04-08-2015, 12:55 PM
I'm not sure what will be more shocking: Few playing/starting 3 bigs with only 1 reserve or Sabonis not starting. IMO it's an either or situation. I'm guessing we have 2 starter quality bigs on the bench.

As the saying goes, it's a good problem to have.

Mr Vulture
04-08-2015, 12:57 PM
I don't think it's shocking at all. Sabonis will come off the bench but play plenty of minutes...seems obvious really.

Mr Vulture
04-08-2015, 12:58 PM
If they played the three bigs together, it would be a trainwreck defensively....

I would love to have few try this lineup next year. Start Shem, Wiltjer, Draginis, Perkins, Melson. At some point in the game put Wiltjer at the three along with Sabonis and Shem. It would be a nightmare matchup problem for any team. We have Edwards waiting to come in if any foul trouble arises. We could just post up whoever has the weakest opponent. The downside is that Wiltjer would be overmatched by some threes as they drive to the basket, We could put Sabonis on the opponents three as he tends to move his feet better than Kyle. If they zone us Wiltjer would be more than adequate outside. Think of the offensive boards we could get if all three were crashing. I'm not saying that we need to do this all the time, but for periods of a game it would really cause matchup nightmares for the other team.

cjm720
04-08-2015, 02:11 PM
I don't think it's shocking at all. Sabonis will come off the bench but play plenty of minutes...seems obvious really.

It is obvious no doubt. The shock is more from the sense that Sabonis would start for nearly every other D1 school.

DixieZag
04-08-2015, 02:21 PM
If we are going to play 2 bigs on the floor, not 3, I would look at rotating which two start the game - if only to reinforce that there is no drop/difference between starters versus the third guy.

That might be stupid.

But, I don't see how you can have an All-American candidate coming off the bench - Sabonis, all because 2 seniors start in front of him - one of which is likely also an All-American candidate in Wiltjer. And yet, the pattern is that Few will start seniors, even if the underclassmen are as effective or better.

It's a wonderful problem to have. Maybe just start the three of them and then adapt/or not, as needed.

Anyone else wonder how this will be handled?

cjm720
04-08-2015, 02:29 PM
If we are going to play 2 bigs on the floor, not 3, I would look at rotating which two start the game - if only to reinforce that there is no drop/difference between starters versus the third guy.

That might be stupid.

But, I don't see how you can have an All-American candidate coming off the bench - Sabonis, all because 2 seniors start in front of him - one of which is likely also an All-American candidate in Wiltjer. And yet, the pattern is that Few will start seniors, even if the underclassmen are as effective or better.

It's a wonderful problem to have. Maybe just start the three of them and then adapt/or not, as needed.

Same as this year: Get a foul and you come out. Sabonis is a different cat...probably won't faze him if he indeed does come off the bench.

Zagdawg
04-08-2015, 04:01 PM
Currently in Portland---wonder if Tommy is in Portland.

Federico Mussini:
He may not pass the eye test at 6' 1”with a 6' 2” wingspan and a 154-pound frame, but the Italian was the most polished guard on the floor on Monday and Tuesday and will undoubtedly play an important role as a floor general and shot maker against Team USA. Mussini put on a shooting clinic on Day 1, drilling spot three after spot three during skill sessions, showing how deadly he can be with his feet set. After shooting lights out on Monday, the 1996-born Reggio Emilia guard carved up opponents on Tuesday with his advanced ball handling and crafty finishing around the rim. Mussini hit Maker with a nice behind the back feed out of the pick and roll, finished with his off hand on the right side in traffic, and sliced through the defense with the help of a ball screen and finished a tough And 1. While his ceiling is limited by his physical profile, Mussini has some serious game and will be leaned upon against a guard-heavy USA team.

Mike Schmitz @Mike_Schmitz
· 22h 22 hours ago
Fredrico Mussini the most polished player here. Doesn't have a ton of upside at 6-1, 150 but making people look silly with his handle/vision

Mike Schmitz @Mike_Schmitz
· Apr 6
Frederico Mussini may be 6-1, 150 dripping wet but he's looking like the best shooter on this World Team. Automatic.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Federico-Mussini-62863/

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2015-Nike-Hoop-Summit-International-Practice-Days-One-and-Two-4873

VaBeachZAG
04-08-2015, 04:09 PM
I dont know. I think this is the perfect year for an unproven to become a proven. I dont think anyone expects another 30+ win season next year with our crop of young guards and maybe Alberts can take the opportunity. I dont know if he is capable of doing this as a player - just dont know enough about him other than the staff saw something they just had to have.

This is exactly the reason why we need a consistent/reliable high flying and high scoring 2/3. The current roster may pan out just fine, but why take a needless chance that it wont, especially when scholarships are available. I would love to see a couple of high octane scorers brought in at the 2 and/or 3. Given the current question about scoring beyond the three line, it only makes sense to shore up this potential weakness. I am not the least worried about recruiting over KD as several on this board have expressed. KD is a critical component of this team and will get a ton of playing time, but he has not demonstrated an ability to provide the outside scoring we will need. We badly need a couple of Wesely's, but with greater scoring ability.

Zagdawg
04-08-2015, 04:25 PM
The 2015 Nike Hoop Summit, the country's premier annual basketball game for high school seniors to be played in Portland, will be aired on ESPN2.

The game, which pits the USA Basketball Junior National Select Team against the World Select Team, will be played at noon on Saturday, April 11, at the Moda Center. It is the eighth consecutive year Portland will host the event.

Mike Couzens, Paul Biancardi and Fran Frashcilla will be on the call for ESPN.

The USA team features 11 of the top 23 high school seniors, according to ESPN 100 rankings.

http://www.kgw.com/story/sports/high-school/2015/04/02/basketball-nike-hoop-summit-televised-espn2-2015/70849258/

Zagger
04-09-2015, 12:35 AM

That might be stupid.

I'd start Mt K, Don'tmiss, Wiltjer, Drano and Eric. For all practical purposes Josh is a Freshman. I know zip about Alberts but he could spell Wiltjer, Edwards could switch out for Shem or Domas and Josh/Silas could spell Drano/Eric. If Nunez is still a Zag - great. I've gotta feel that D will be a big push next year (and over the summer). I would expect KW to be an improved KW all around - especially on D as Kyle lacks that aspect more than any other (he'd be wise to focus on it). It would not surprise me to see Griffin on the floor more often in 15-16. This is all considering only the Zags on the roster now. I count 3-4 unknowns (4 if Nunez departs). 3-4 unknowns makes for many more options.

What I'd love to see in 15-16 is both Shem and Domas shooting the ball from further out. Heck, Shem is a 100% 3 shooter :) Honestly though, if both start shooting the ball from farther than they've been it creates a defensive problem, big time, for Zag opponents. All in all I think we'll see a bit different style of play from next season's Zags. To improve the Zags are going to have to be less predictable / more multi-dimensional. Can the 15-16 Zags improve upon the 14-15 Zags? It will take better D for sure. My personal hunches center around both Kyles - how these two are compared to now. My hunch is that both will really shine in 15-16.

jchocolate99
04-09-2015, 01:09 AM
I'd start Mt K, Don'tmiss, Wiltjer, Drano and Eric. For all practical purposes Josh is a Freshman. I know zip about Alberts but he could spell Wiltjer, Edwards could switch out for Shem or Domas and Josh/Silas could spell Drano/Eric. If Nunez is still a Zag - great. I've gotta feel that D will be a big push next year (and over the summer). I would expect KW to be an improved KW all around - especially on D as Kyle lacks that aspect more than any other (he'd be wise to focus on it). It would not surprise me to see Griffin on the floor more often in 15-16. This is all considering only the Zags on the roster now. I count 3-4 unknowns (4 if Nunez departs). 3-4 unknowns makes for many more options.

Sabonis is coming off the bench again point blank... and no way in heck does McClellen start over a healthy Josh Perkins at the Point guard spot.

DixieZag
04-09-2015, 07:31 AM
Sabonis is coming off the bench again point blank... and no way in heck does McClellen start over a healthy Josh Perkins at the Point guard spot.

I definitely agree about Perkins.

Sabonis might be our best player next year. I'm not sure how he comes off the bench.

Mr Vulture
04-09-2015, 08:21 AM
Exactly, starting doesn't mean you are the best player necessarily either. I don't see any way that they start all three big guys and I think that the energy they can bring in with Sabonis off the bench is huge. I do think that Sabonis is going to be the man in two years once Wiltjer graduates. In regards to Perkins, he will start without a doubt, barring injury.

CdAZagFan
04-09-2015, 08:24 AM
Next year's team will be an interesting watch. I'm guessing the bigs will become the vocal and demonstrative leaders of the team. Guard play is so important, though, so that seems to be the variable here. I personally don't see Sabonis coming off the bench again...

gonzagafan62
04-09-2015, 08:26 AM

Sabonis might be our best player next year. I'm not sure how he comes off the bench.

Yeah, there is zero percent chance IMHO that Emac starts over Perkins. zero. Perkins by all accounts needs the starting position over anyone on this team. Perkins needs to know that he can still play D-1 bball at an extremely high level and gaining confidence against the lower tier teams EARLY will certainly do that.

No draino either, although I could see either one MAYBE starting over Melson, MAYBE... Although I think that spot is with Melson for now. Maybe one of the two get a shot at the three, but then what big are you sitting?

I am not seeing it. I really don't see any other starting lineup than Perkins, Melson, Wiltjer, Sabonis, Karnowski.... Although Maybe you could start one of the seniors at the three and have Sabonis back off the bench for another year... who knows.

Its a long offseason....

IowaSERE
04-09-2015, 09:04 AM
If you had to rank our Bigs on a scale of 1-10 where would you rank them? I would give KW a 9.5, DS a 9 and PK an 8. Why isn't there any talk of starting KW and DS and having PK come off the bench? I could see KW as a 20-8 avg, DS a 15-12 producer and still don't see PK as more than a 12-8 guy. KW and DS need to both get 30 min a game. They have the conditioning to be productive with those minutes. I would much rather see PK get 25 min and RE get around 15 min.

MTZag03
04-09-2015, 09:30 AM
If you had to rank our Bigs on a scale of 1-10 where would you rank them? I would give KW a 9.5, DS a 9 and PK an 8. Why isn't there any talk of starting KW and DS and having PK come off the bench? I could see KW as a 20-8 avg, DS a 15-12 producer and still don't see PK as more than a 12-8 guy. KW and DS need to both get 30 min a game. They have the conditioning to be productive with those minutes. I would much rather see PK get 25 min and RE get around 15 min.

Karnowski alters the game so much just being on the court. I think he's as good now as Sabonis. I think what we might see is starters changing based on what the opponent has for bigs. If they start anyone decent over seven feet, we start Karno. He just performs better against big guys in my opinion. If all they have is some bouncy guy who is 6'8", maybe we'll see Sabonis get the nod.

Shanachie
04-09-2015, 09:30 AM
At the risk of being criticized from angles I hadn't even considered, here's my handicapping of the chances of starting at each position in game 1.

1 2 3 4 5 Total
KW 5% 95% 100%
PK 60% 60%
DS 5% 40% 45%
RE 0%
KD 5% 85% 90%
JP 75% 10% 85%
EM 25% 5% 30%
SM 75% 5% 80%
BA 5% 5% 10%
100% 100% 100% 100% 100% 500%

webspinnre
04-09-2015, 09:33 AM
I'd take JP's 10% at the 2 and give it to EM, but other than that, sounds about right.

americasteam
04-09-2015, 09:49 AM
At the risk of being criticized from angles I hadn't even considered, here's my handicapping of the chances of starting at each position in game 1.

1 2 3 4 5 Total
KW 5% 95% 100%
PK 60% 60%
DS 5% 40% 45%
RE 0%
KD 5% 85% 90%
JP 75% 10% 85%
EM 25% 5% 30%
SM 75% 5% 80%
BA 5% 5% 10%
100% 100% 100% 100% 100% 500%

That's a pretty cool chart and an interesting way to look at it, Shanachie.

You're saying then that 75% chance Josh starts at the 1 and Silas at the 2, an 85% chance Kyle D starts at the 3, 95% chance Kyle W at the 4 and then 60% chance Shem starts at the 5. Very interesting and seems about accurate unless someone like BWes comes in and maybe pushes aside Silas at the 2. We could definitely get someone like that and we've got scholarships to boot!

Mr Vulture
04-09-2015, 10:11 AM
To simplify this...I don't see any way that Few sits a senior in Karnowski when the ability is comparable to Sabonis. I didn't see Domas as being superior to Karno this year and I think the energy off the bench is huge. I also can't see all three starting as we couldn't guard anyone on the perimeter. I guess they could play some zone but that isn't the Gonzaga style typically.

jchocolate99
04-09-2015, 10:25 AM

Its simple how he comes off the bench... he has an all american in front of him and he has a senior center that is very good in his own right... He's coming off the bench again and there's NOTHING wrong with that people... he's still going to be averaging over 20min a game so lets not act like we're not giving play time to a talented player he's getting plenty of minutes. He knew the situation WELL before hand before he came to gonzaga of what was in front of him and where his playing situation would be. He had opportunities to play at other schools if he wanted to start plus he was offered a 3yr contract to play pro in Europe... So my point is people stop worrying about if Sabonis starts causue he's not starting on next years team and he's very aware of the circumstance and he's very fine with the circumstance cause if he wasn't he wouldn't be at Gonzaga

Zagceo
04-09-2015, 11:19 AM
Its simple how he comes off the bench... he has an all american in front of him and he has a senior center that is very good in his own right... He's coming off the bench again and there's NOTHING wrong with that people... he's still going to be averaging over 20min a game so lets not act like we're not giving play time to a talented player he's getting plenty of minutes. He knew the situation WELL before hand before he came to gonzaga of what was in front of him and where his playing situation would be. He had opportunities to play at other schools if he wanted to start plus he was offered a 3yr contract to play pro in Europe... So my point is people stop worrying about if Sabonis starts causue he's not starting on next years team and he's very aware of the circumstance and he's very fine with the circumstance cause if he wasn't he wouldn't be at Gonzaga

The staff will start and play the best players. Domas is All American and will start IMO. I don't worry about starters because best players will start.

SageOfZagville
04-09-2015, 11:24 AM
If they played the three bigs together, it would be a trainwreck defensively....

I have to disagree. Sabonis moves his feet very well for a big. Most of his fouls came in the over-the-back, reaching-in variety. He can stay in front of, and match up with most three's in my opinion. There is also the matchup zone that few could employ. The only issue I have with Gonzaga's zone defense, is that the wings try and help too much inside leaving the kick-out to the three point shooters. Very few teams hurt us inside, so we need the wings to stay outside and guard the three point shooters. Like I stated before, if Few would spring this on teams after a timeout, it would cause matchup headaches until they went with three bigs, and quite frankly, there are not three better bigs in the nation, let alone the WCC.

VaBeachZAG
04-09-2015, 11:33 AM

Good grief! This is so on point I can hardly stand it :) Sabonis will not start, nor should he start. So what if he would start on many other teams, totally irrelevant since he's a Zag. All this talk about starting three bigs is missing a very important point, namely, that I suspect we will have one or more very compelling newbies at the 2/3 before the start of the next school year. As others have pointed out, Few has multiple scholarships available and he isn't going to just let them set there and mold away. So, all this speculation is fun, but the bottom line is no one possesses an entitlement to start for GU just because he might start somewhere else, also, there will be unknown factors (i.e., transfers) that could significantly influence the starting line up next year.

cjm720
04-09-2015, 11:49 AM
Does anyone know if Karno is close to graduating? Might be all he needs to make the jump for $$$.

DixieZag
04-09-2015, 12:46 PM
So my point is people stop worrying about if Sabonis starts causue he's not starting on next years team and he's very aware of the circumstance and he's very fine with the circumstance cause if he wasn't he wouldn't be at Gonzaga

Well, that is certainly definitive, we're lucky, it's rare to have a head coach on a message board, I would have thought that "TroutTierZag" might have been the more likely board name..... I'm kidding.

But,

Everyone knows the pro/cons and the situation.

No one is "worrying" about the matter. I think near everyone has noted it's a fantastic problem to have. So, not sure the "NOTHING" wrong with that people"... counts as a teachable moment, or something.

No one questioned how good the people in front of him are, in fact that is why everyone assumes they will be starters.

It is simply fascinating b/c it is certainly rare to have a team's possibly best all-around best player come off the bench, a guy likely to average a double-double and may well get talked up in the All-American discussion. So, that's that.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
04-09-2015, 01:27 PM
Hmmm...would a 6'7 small forward improve our roster at all next year? Is this a guy we could put to use? :drool:

https://twitter.com/jerrymeyer247/status/586274828325363713

gonzagafan62
04-09-2015, 01:50 PM
Hmmm...would a 6'7 small forward improve our roster at all next year? Is this a guy we could put to use? :drool:

Holy crap... We need this guy.

MDABE80
04-09-2015, 02:07 PM
For years it's well know that "starting and StartERS" doesn't matter. Just 5 bodies....doesn't they're the best 5 bodies to win a game or take up the most minutes on the court. Domas comes in a does a great job when he's needed ( which is most of the time). Few rotates players and position depending on the opposition and the personnel.

Zag_Dad
04-09-2015, 02:35 PM
Does anyone know if Karno is close to graduating? Might be all he needs to make the jump for $$$.

I heard from a student at GU that he will graduate in December. Not sure how reliable the information is as campus gossip tends to grow a life of it's own at times.

jazzdelmar
04-09-2015, 02:43 PM

Pass. Three star. We need a far more seasoned player at the 3 next year. Transfer market. Post grad.

jchocolate99
04-09-2015, 02:46 PM
Well, that is certainly definitive, we're lucky, it's rare to have a head coach on a message board, I would have thought that "TroutTierZag" might have been the more likely board name..... I'm kidding.

But,

Everyone knows the pro/cons and the situation.

No one is "worrying" about the matter. I think near everyone has noted it's a fantastic problem to have. So, not sure the "NOTHING" wrong with that people"... counts as a teachable moment, or something.

No one questioned how good the people in front of him are, in fact that is why everyone assumes they will be starters.

It is simply fascinating b/c it is certainly rare to have a team's possibly best all-around best player come off the bench, a guy likely to average a double-double and may well get talked up in the All-American discussion. So, that's that.

:D Thats the great thing about discussion boards we as fans get to debate about our favorite team. I could very well be wrong and Few trouts out a starting lineup with all three bigs and if he does I trust he feels its in the best interest of the team... but IMO having all three bigs start takes away the riches we have which is DEPTH. We have one very good big that can come off the bench who has starter talent and another very capable 7 footer that can come off the bench as well. Sabonis and Karnowski are the two most foul prone players in our front court. you have them both out there starting and now you risk both of them getting in foul trouble at the same time causing us to play small ball depending on how Edwards progresses or if Few trust him enough... Thats the potential foul trouble we could face thats not even taking into account the defense liability it causes having Wiltjer on the perimeter. Everyone keeps talking about how fabulous our zone defense would be in that line up but why go to zone when we have 3 very good perimeter defenders in Melson, Draginis, McClellen and too be honest Perkins perimeter D didn't look to shabby either. Adding in Alberts we're going to have a very quick and athletic backcourt that this program has NEVER seen with a very DEEP front court. Allow the quicker athletes to man the perimeter and let the Bigs worry about manning underneath. We should have less worry of fouls and our bigs should always be fresh with two coming off the bench.

DixieZag
04-09-2015, 03:36 PM
:D Thats the great thing about discussion boards we as fans get to debate about our favorite team. I could very well be wrong and Few trouts out a starting lineup with all three bigs and if he does I trust he feels its in the best interest of the team... but IMO having all three bigs start takes away the riches we have which is DEPTH. We have one very good big that can come off the bench who has starter talent and another very capable 7 footer that can come off the bench as well. Sabonis and Karnowski are the two most foul prone players in our front court. you have them both out there starting and now you risk both of them getting in foul trouble at the same time causing us to play small ball depending on how Edwards progresses or if Few trust him enough... Thats the potential foul trouble we could face thats not even taking into account the defense liability it causes having Wiltjer on the perimeter. Everyone keeps talking about how fabulous our zone defense would be in that line up but why go to zone when we have 3 very good perimeter defenders in Melson, Draginis, McClellen and too be honest Perkins perimeter D didn't look to shabby either. Adding in Alberts we're going to have a very quick and athletic backcourt that this program has NEVER seen with a very DEEP front court. Allow the quicker athletes to man the perimeter and let the Bigs worry about manning underneath. We should have less worry of fouls and our bigs should always be fresh with two coming off the bench.

Yeah, I think those are good points, and it is likely the way it will play out, but it is just so unprecedented, b/c I truly think that Sabonis is at least our second best player behind Wiltjer. I see the probs with starting the three, definitely, though I think it is mostly on defense. But, b/c there are subtle, maybe even subconscious connotations with "starting" versus "coming off the bench" I have advocated (alone) something like a 3 person rotation in terms of who starts what game, just to reinforce that there is noting symbolic about it. Probably a dumb idea.

Though, I would not rule out the 3 bigs all staring together. We went with a 3 guard line-up for a year which shocked many of us.

Zagger
04-09-2015, 03:39 PM
I did say that's what I'd do. I believe we have 4 very good guards: Perkins, Melson, Drano and EMc. I believe to win in close games the zags need to shake things up a bit - be less predictable. I'd like to see each of these 4 get 20 mins/game (unless foul trouble, they're off, etc.). Experience makes a difference. EMc & Drano have the experience. Josh & Silas can learn bunches about an opponent from the bench then put that into action. The most effective pair (could be Josh & Drano, who knows) play most until the game is won.
The Zags are loaded with talent and 3-4 more talented guys are going to show up before November. If it we me coaching I'd be doing some experimenting.

jchocolate99
04-09-2015, 03:43 PM
Yeah, I think those are good points, and it is likely the way it will play out, but it is just so unprecedented, b/c I truly think that Sabonis is at least our second best player behind Wiltjer

Just imagine how much more dangerous he'll be once he gets that mid range shot going? This thread is just getting me more excited for next season

jchocolate99
04-09-2015, 03:49 PM
I did say that's what I'd do. I believe we have 4 very good guards: Perkins, Melson, Drano and EMc. I believe to win in close games the zags need to shake things up a bit - be less predictable. I'd like to see each of these 4 get 20 mins/game (unless foul trouble, they're off, etc.). Experience makes a difference. EMc & Drano have the experience. Josh & Silas can learn bunches about an opponent from the bench then put that into action. The most effective pair (could be Josh & Drano, who knows) play most until the game is won.
The Zags are loaded with talent and 3-4 more talented guys are going to show up before November. If it we me coaching I'd be doing some experimenting.

Oh I totally agree you have to experiment with different line ups and having all three out there is a real possibility even coach Lloyd said as much. I just disagree with that being a fulltime starting lineup... Whatever happens I'm excited. I don't see this team having the same win totals as this last year's team because of youth and how tough the schedule is but it will definitely be a more talented team IMO

Zagdawg
04-09-2015, 09:28 PM
Mussini interview.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2015-Nike-Hoop-Summit-Video-Interview-Federico-Mussini-4880

ZagaZags
04-09-2015, 09:46 PM
Mussini interview.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2015-Nike-Hoop-Summit-Video-Interview-Federico-Mussini-4880

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kO6qu5fQLHo

sittingon50
04-09-2015, 11:20 PM
The kid was actually more comfortable doing the interview than the interviewer.

ZagaZags
04-09-2015, 11:22 PM
The kid was actually more comfortable doing the interview than the interviewer.

I will give you that....... BUT.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO6qu5fQLHo&feature=player_embedded

MickMick
04-10-2015, 01:19 AM
I don't think Sabonis will ever be a consistent mid range shooter. He just doesn't seem to be that kind of face up player. When is the last time you have seen him take a ten-fifteen foot shot? I don't believe I ever have. His FG% is really high because of the types of shots he takes. Basically, dunks, tip ins, lay ups, and put backs.

What we can count on is a rebounding force that can use nifty footwork to score in close proximity to the rim. Footwork so good that he might be a team leader in drawing fouls/shooting free throws while putting constant foul pressure on opposing bigs. In other words, what you see is what you get. No worry. What you see is pretty darn good.

I just don't see where this "mid range shot" talk is coming from (I have read it on these forums a couple of times now) or what we have ever seen on the court to reinforce that it is coming our way in the future.

Now Edwards is a different story and I think we can definitely expect a consistent, reliable face up game from that young man. He is a natural at it. Folks are going to be shocked at his offensive productivity.

jchocolate99
04-10-2015, 01:45 AM
I don't think Sabonis will ever be a consistent mid range shooter. He just doesn't seem to be that kind of face up player. When is the last time you have seen him take a ten-fifteen foot shot? I don't believe I ever have. His FG% is really high because of the types of shots he takes. Basically, dunks, tip ins, lay ups, and put backs.

What we can count on is a rebounding force that can use nifty footwork to score in close proximity to the rim. Footwork so good that he might be a team leader in drawing fouls/shooting free throws while putting constant foul pressure on opposing bigs. In other words, what you see is what you get. No worry. What you see is pretty darn good.

I just don't see where this "mid range shot" talk is coming from (I have read it on these forums a couple of times now) or what we have ever seen on the court to reinforce that it is coming our way in the future.

Now Edwards is a different story and I think we can definitely expect a consistent, reliable face up game from that young man. He is a natural at it. Folks are going to be shocked at his offensive productivity.

You're right we haven't seen it and maybe never will but if it is something that he ends up developing he's going to be that much more potent and dangerous especially if he wants to succeed at the next level

thespywhozaggedme
04-10-2015, 06:32 AM
On the other end of the court, it was the Federico Mussini show once again, with the Italian putting on a clinic of footwork and ball-handling, with plenty of crafty finishes and smooth pull-ups from beyond the arc to accentuate his tremendous skill-level.

Ken Nowaczyk/USA Basketball

Mussini is easy to write off as “too small, skinny and short-armed,” but few would deny how effective he's been here, even with a monstrously long-armed Brazilian draped all over him at all times. Comparisons to Jose Juan Barea and Kevin Pangos spread quickly through the gym.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz3WuuZ0cre
http://www.draftexpress.com

CDC84
04-10-2015, 09:01 AM
The real test for Mussini comes tomorrow at noon on ESPN2.

MickMick
04-10-2015, 09:32 AM
I don't think GU gets to the top with smallish guards.

Remember Brandon Paul from Illinois? That is the kind of player I'm thinking of. Give me a legit 6'4"/size mismatch guard that has the ability to create his own shot and take over a game with both perimeter shooting and dribble penetration. If I have to settle with a smallish guard, he better be a lightning quick scoring threat in the mold of Ishmael Smith from 2010 Wake Forest. The shorter they are, the quicker they must be in order to compensate for lack of length.

cjm720
04-10-2015, 09:40 AM

Remember Brandon Paul from Illinois? That is the kind of player I'm thinking of. Give me a legit 6'4"/size mismatch guard that has the ability to create his own shot and take over a game with both perimeter shooting and dribble penetration. If I have to settle with a smallish guard, he better be a lightning quick scoring threat in the mold of Ishmael Smith from 2010 Wake Forest.

I'd take a 5 11 PG with a 6 5 SG and 6 7 wing! Size does matter, just almost as much as results...

gonzagacfen
04-10-2015, 10:24 AM

6'1 Shabazz & 6'0 Boatwright. UConn 2014.

seacatfan
04-10-2015, 11:00 AM

I believe I saw him hit 2 10-15 foot shots all season. Seriously. But with the way he shoots FT, there's no reason he can't be reliable from mid range.

webspinnre
04-10-2015, 11:03 AM
Comparisons to Jose Juan Barea and Kevin Pangos spread quickly through the gym.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz3WuuZ0cre
http://www.draftexpress.com

Sign him up!

seacatfan
04-10-2015, 11:04 AM

Remember Brandon Paul from Illinois? That is the kind of player I'm thinking of. Give me a legit 6'4"/size mismatch guard that has the ability to create his own shot and take over a game with both perimeter shooting and dribble penetration. If I have to settle with a smallish guard, he better be a lightning quick scoring threat in the mold of Ishmael Smith from 2010 Wake Forest. The shorter they are, the quicker they must be in order to compensate for lack of length.

Paul totally wrecked the Zags in Spokane one year. What did he really do in his career though? The Illini were totally inconsistent throughout his time there and never made a deep run in the Tourney. Last time Illinois really made noise was with a 3 guard lineup, 2 of which weren't particularly big (Deron Williams, Dee Brown, Luther Head).

ZagsGoZags
04-10-2015, 02:13 PM

Mussini and Wade would be a couple of 6'0" guards. As good as Pangos and Stocks were, I think the small size together created opportunities for our opponents to exploit. Thank goodness Eric M. and Josh P are 6'3"

jazzdelmar
04-10-2015, 06:30 PM
Mussini and Wade would be a couple of 6'0" guards. As good as Pangos and Stocks were, I think the small size together created opportunities for our opponents to exploit. Thank goodness Eric M. and Josh P are 6'3"

Worse, Bell, KP and DS represented only 18 feet of guards.

Zagdawg
04-10-2015, 11:09 PM
Hopefully KP/Bell get a shot at the signing a contract in the NBA like DS--there are some that said he would never make because of his height/weight ---- and they were wrong.

Go Zags

gonzagacfen
04-11-2015, 07:50 AM
Tyson Jolly commit to Cal after visiting this weekend... So much for claiming he would visit Gonzaga next weekend

https://twitter.com/Tysonjolly/status/586917652053897216

Bouldin4Prez
04-11-2015, 08:51 AM

Not sure who is telling you that Perkins is 6'3 but that is completely false. He is probably 6'1 in shoes. You are correct about McClellan though, he brings size and length to the point guard position that we have probably never had. If he develops a 35% 3 point shot in the offseason he could be a real matchup problem for Zag opponents next year.

BobZag
04-11-2015, 09:12 AM
Please give us your impressions and scouting reports here. After it is full, this thread will be merged with the previously established thread for 2015 recuits.

Danke.

Ekrub
04-11-2015, 09:18 AM
Fraschilla just tweeted he has a little Kevin Pangos in his game.

Marcus
04-11-2015, 09:21 AM
Anywhere to watch online? I can't watch ESPN online either, I'm in Canada and it's blocked. :argh:

thespywhozaggedme
04-11-2015, 09:31 AM
Gotta feeling we cooled on him after some other players became available; same for the perv from Arky.
Tyson Jolly commit to Cal after visiting this weekend... So much for claiming he would visit Gonzaga next weekend

https://twitter.com/Tysonjolly/status/586917652053897216

Birddog
04-11-2015, 09:31 AM
Not sure who is telling you that Perkins is 6'3 but that is completely false. He is probably 6'1 in shoes. You are correct about McClellan though, he brings size and length to the point guard position that we have probably never had. If he develops a 35% 3 point shot in the offseason he could be a real matchup problem for Zag opponents next year.

GU's official roster lists Perkins at 6'3". Of course it lists Pangos as 6'2" . Maybe it's just that he is 1" taller than KP.

hondo
04-11-2015, 09:41 AM
There is always a good deal of fiction in roster reports.

WallaWallaZag
04-11-2015, 10:06 AM
most basketball height measurements are taken with shoes on...

Zagdawg
04-11-2015, 10:56 AM
While standing on a 2x4

Zagdawg
04-11-2015, 11:05 AM
Mussini not starting.

Tip Off---

24 second shot clock--Intnl missed 1st shot and turnover.

USa --1st shot blocked

Inntl team hits a 3 for the first point

World up 8-0 --2 threes and a dunk

Zagdawg
04-11-2015, 11:10 AM
Mussini in at almost 5 mins in

Zagdawg
04-11-2015, 11:12 AM
Lots of skill and height on the court---World up 14-2. Mussini with 1 shot --(missed 3).

MDABE80
04-11-2015, 11:16 AM
In person, Josh is all of 6 ft 3 in......Melson in a wee bit shorter. Alberts is easily 6 ft 4 in...maybe a bit more. I don't think those hright numbers are fudged. Josh and ALberts are long as well. The more important thing is the athleticism. Both are superior athletes. I hope Melson comes along......he disappointed in the last 3rd of the season. He needs to buckle down.
EMAC is a bit over 6 ft 3 in and Drang is a solid 6 ft 5 in.
Don't know this helps but those number are solid.

madness
04-11-2015, 11:22 AM
Just nailed a wide open 3!

Zagdawg
04-11-2015, 11:25 AM
Jamal Murray guard from Canada taking it strong to the rim.

Zagdawg
04-11-2015, 11:27 AM
Simmons from Australia is pretty amazing.

VinnyZag
04-11-2015, 11:48 AM
Mussini just hit one from beyond the NBA 3-point line at the Moda Center. Impressive range.

seacatfan
04-11-2015, 11:51 AM
Mussini has hit a pair of 3's, otherwise completely ineffective. Lack of strength is apparent. US guards being physical with him.

Murray from Canada looks like the best player on the court today.

International team has ridiculous length (Maker, Diallo, Simmons, kid from China...), really bothering the US team. Can't get much going in the interior, shots getting blocked or altered.

zagsfanforlife
04-11-2015, 11:55 AM
Mussini has hit a pair of 3's, otherwise completely ineffective. Lack of strength is apparent. US guards being physical with him.

Murray from Canada looks like the best player on the court today.

International team has ridiculous length (Maker, Diallo, Simmons, kid from China...), really bothering the US team. Can't get much going in the interior, shots getting blocked or altered.

I kinda get what you are saying with the lack of strength, and no way he is 6'3. More like 6'1. With that said, that pull up 3 from Nba range, swish, and a couple of dribbling moves is enough for me to see. Sign him up. He will take a couple years to be a star but the kid has game. He can put on weight and he knows that, but i want him. The fact that I am italian also might have something to do with it as well.

Zagdawg
04-11-2015, 11:58 AM
World team up 3 points at the half.

Playing against a tandem of the best players in the country will give anyone issues-- that being said--agree he needs to put on the weight/get stronger and get used to the more physical play.

seacatfan
04-11-2015, 11:59 AM
I kinda get what you are saying with the lack of strength, and no way he is 6'3. More like 6'1. With that said, that pull up 3 from Nba range, swish, and a couple of dribbling moves is enough for me to see. Sign him up. He will take a couple years to be a star but the kid has game. He can put on weight and he knows that, but i want him. The fact that I am italian also might have something to do with it as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally dismissing him as a player. Some prospects just don't thrive in these all star games, you have to take them with a grain of salt. I don't think Pangos excelled when he was in the Hoop Summit years ago and he turned out fine.

zagsfanforlife
04-11-2015, 12:00 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally dismissing him as a player. Some prospects just don't thrive in these all star games, you have to take them with a grain of salt. I don't think Pangos excelled when he was in the Hoop Summit years ago and he turned out fine.

I saw Pangos in the Hoops Summit and ill admit i thought "Bust".

jazzdelmar
04-11-2015, 12:04 PM
Bupkis so far. Doesn't even look like a D1 prospect. But Pangos stunk it up in this game too vs the likes of Austin Rivers. Muss has a nice shot, decent handle, Sinatra at the Paramount thin. Maybe he can croon; cuz he's outclassed in this comp by guards like Dennard. Think the college David with a three ball or a young Pablo Brignioni.

Zagdawg
04-11-2015, 12:10 PM
And we know how you felt about David---"too small to play college ball" --- David worked out ok--Mussini would be ok too with a bit of time.

zagsfanforlife
04-11-2015, 12:12 PM
Honestly I think Mussini would be great as a backup PG and possibly start alongside Perk (maybe) within a couple years. If he goes to Davidson he would be dynamite. Would love to see him at GU but i think that is the best fit.

jazzdelmar
04-11-2015, 12:17 PM
And we know how you felt about David---"too small to play college ball" --- David worked out ok--Mussini would be ok too with a bit of time.

I don't see David's knack for passing and handling in Muss. And he looks even smaller, if that's possible. Plays no D, so that's a wash.

MickMick
04-11-2015, 12:30 PM

David was a solid contributor for GU but not the player he is today. If David is to be at the core of the argument, then David should be referenced with respect to his time at GU and not as a professional. Stockton could enter the NBA Hall of Fame and it wouldn't change the window of time he played at GU. In other words, he isn't winning games for GU while playing for the Reno Bighorns.

The "I told ya so" posts are not taking development time into consideration. The real question is at what point is Mussini able to live up to the high standards set by past GU point guards and is there another that can fill the void until he is ready.

seacatfan
04-11-2015, 12:30 PM
Ben Simmons really has some nice skills for 6-10ish player.

US leading now, has been most of the 2nd half. World team still blocking a ton of shots and making things difficult in the paint.

MDABE80
04-11-2015, 12:31 PM
Did any of you hear that T Jolley signed with Cal.?? I thought one of the announcers just said that/....anyone? DO my ears work???

Zagdawg
04-11-2015, 12:32 PM
Yup --gone to Cal.

seacatfan
04-11-2015, 12:33 PM
Did any of you hear that T Jolley signed with Cal.?? I thought one of the announcers just said that/....anyone? DO my ears work???

Didn't hear it during the broadcast, but saw it somewhere on a message board today.

seacatfan
04-11-2015, 12:45 PM
Mussini just had a nice drive and kick out to Murray who splashed the 3.

Zagdawg
04-11-2015, 12:45 PM
The confirmation posts are the countering the "should not be playing college ball posts" from the posters that think they should be coaching the team. Most here understood Davids strengths and weaknesses and knew he belonged on the court -- a couple could not and still cannot figure it out --and think he took a miracle pill and could suddenly play NBA ball in the league or he suddenly developed a three point shot after he left Gonzaga.

Most here understand that Mussini is a scoring guard--- not as much as a distributor as David is.

With some development to go with his scoring ability Mussini will be fine.

Zagdawg
04-11-2015, 01:12 PM
World team takes down team USA 103-101

seacatfan
04-11-2015, 01:15 PM
World team takes down team USA 103-101

World team left the door open in the closing seconds, but US team couldn't take advantage. Too much length for the World team.

jazzdelmar
04-11-2015, 01:17 PM
Boring game made worse by commentators for whom everyone is a future all American super duper. Every coach was a brilliant hire. These guys are so wired into the CBB establishment they don't hear anything else. In terms of excitement The Masters is the Olympic 100 meter dash by comparison.

Muss was among five least impressive. Dennard will fit just perfectly in Koach's squad. He doesn't recruit, he casts.

seacatfan
04-11-2015, 01:36 PM
Boring game made worse by commentators for whom everyone is a future all American super duper. Every coach was a brilliant hire. These guys are so wired into the CBB establishment they don't hear anything else. In terms of excitement The Masters is the Olympic 100 meter dash by comparison.

Muss was among five least impressive. Dennard will fit just perfectly in Koach's squad. He doesn't recruit, he casts.

Kennard did look good. Will be similar to this year's Duke squad, a glut at 2G. One of Matt Jones, Grayson Allen (the hero of the Championship game) and Kennard is going to have a hard time getting minutes. Which one gets squeezed out?

seacatfan
04-11-2015, 02:31 PM
Agree you gotta have a love for college basketball to enjoy watching the up-in-coming players play the disorganized ball that takes place for the world showcase.

Good to see some of the top 20 players in college ball go at it and hear about some of their backgrounds.

Agree with you. All star games can be kinda ugly, but I enjoy the chance to get a little sneak peak at these guys. Been seeing their names on message boards for several years, first chance to see them play. Otherwise have to wait til November.

Radbooks
04-11-2015, 02:51 PM
From the Twitterverse:

Fran Fraschilla ‏@franfraschilla 18m18 minutes ago

I'm missing something others are seeing with Italy's Federico Mussini. Has to pick right level if he comes to US to play. Shooter, tho.

jazzdelmar
04-11-2015, 02:56 PM
From the Twitterverse:

Didn't look D1 to me. Perfect for bottom dwellers in WCC.

DixieZag
04-11-2015, 02:57 PM
From the Twitterverse:

Ouch.

When one considers the red-phone hotline from Few's office to Fraschilla's, one might speculate as to who it is that the "others" are and what the "others" are seeing.

sittingon50
04-11-2015, 03:25 PM
While standing on a 2x4

The 2 or the 4?

Vanzagger
04-11-2015, 03:36 PM
Get longer

cggonzaga
04-11-2015, 03:51 PM
Very disappointed. Looked like a child. No thanks. I watched Pangos in that game and while he didn't play particularly well you could tell he could play. Don't see that in Musso.

ProjectMKUltra5
04-11-2015, 04:18 PM
His skill on the offensive end is apparent it's just that his body limits him so much defensively. He was being muscled all over the court and had a hell of a time trying to fight through screens. I could see him contributing some decent minutes as a role player for us but otherwise I think it's best for him to go to a smaller school.

Bummer too, I had high hopes for him. We need a backup PG imo and I'm not sure how many other realistic options we have.

cggonzaga
04-11-2015, 04:51 PM
Why do we need a backup pg? Pretty sure between McClellan, Melson, dranginis and Alberts, we have plenty of guys that can get us into the offense.

ProjectMKUltra5
04-11-2015, 06:02 PM
Why do we need a backup pg? Pretty sure between McClellan, Melson, dranginis and Alberts, we have plenty of guys that can get us into the offense.

Because those guys are mostly combo guards if not outright off guards. It's not huge situation but Perkins is the only natural PG on the roster, just like Pangos was last season. I'd hardly call that ideal.

ZagsGoZags
04-12-2015, 02:47 AM

I am a bit disappointed if he is only 6'1" - the roster says he is 6'3"

CanadianZagFan
04-12-2015, 04:13 AM
I am a bit disappointed if he is only 6'1" - the roster says he is 6'3"

In the summer of 2013 he measured at 6'2" in shoes, not a stretch to say he put on an inch and is 6'3" in shoes now.

raise the zag
04-12-2015, 06:02 AM
This is silly.

Perkins is 6'3" in shoes.

He's clearly taller than Gary Bell in every picture we've seen. Gary is listed at 6'1".

Not to mention, he looks taller than Pangos as well, who is listed at 6'2".

Perkins hunches a bit on court, yet when he's standing, easily 6'3".

hushpuppy
04-12-2015, 01:32 PM
Sorry if I missed this somewhere. Do we know anything about VCU de-commit Jordan Murphy (6'7" wing from Texas)? He's listing Gonzaga (with UCLA, Oregon, and Miami) as a potential landing site.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/hssports/2015/04/brennans-murphy-granted-release-from-vcu-talks-about-other-options/#32037101=0

Mantua
04-12-2015, 01:47 PM
Because those guys are mostly combo guards if not outright off guards. It's not huge situation but Perkins is the only natural PG on the roster, just like Pangos was last season. I'd hardly call that ideal.

If Perkins could have played this year it would have made a difference. I think we need another good pg to maximise the team's potential and provide some insurance against injury.

MDABE80
04-12-2015, 02:06 PM
He'd work in the WCC where the guards tend to be smaller. But when it gets to where we make our bones (OOC) it would a tough situation for him and for us. He's got the offensive skills as a foundation. Not sure how he might develop. He doesn't have the speed usually hoped for in the smaller guards.
I doubt this would work for us. Few knows though......maybe they're seeing something we didn't see in this Hoops Summit game.

MickMick
04-12-2015, 02:07 PM
If Perkins could have played this year it would have made a difference. I think we need another good pg to maximise the team's potential and provide some insurance against injury.

I agree. I personally believe the second ball distributer on the team will be playing at the wing. I trust Dranginis with ball distribution more than any player not named Perkins.

Of course GU pulled this unorthodox offensive set off before with the Bouldin/Gray/Goodson combination so it can be done. Fortunately, it only happens when Perkins is off the floor.

Does Perkins play 40 minutes a game?

Mantua
04-12-2015, 02:19 PM
Does Perkins play 40 minutes a game?

Exactly.

BobZag
04-12-2015, 04:09 PM
Sorry if I missed this somewhere. Do we know anything about VCU de-commit Jordan Murphy (6'7" wing from Texas)? He's listing Gonzaga (with UCLA, Oregon, and Miami) as a potential landing site.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/hssports/2015/04/brennans-murphy-granted-release-from-vcu-talks-about-other-options/#32037101=0

Tommy likes Texas kids.

TexasZagFan
04-12-2015, 04:20 PM
Tommy likes Texas kids.

Tommy's a smart man. Lots of talent in the Lone Star State. There must have been some good vibes from our weekend in Houston.

hushpuppy
04-12-2015, 05:09 PM
Thanks, BZ.

Zagdawg
04-13-2015, 08:52 PM
Italian Guard Mussini Enjoys St. John’s Visit
April 13th, 2015 9:34 am
A70G0181_large_400x400Italian guard Federico Mussini enjoyed his visit to St. John’s on Sunday on his way home from the Nike Hoop Summit.

“Really good!!” Mussini said via direct message. “I liked the atmosphere of the college. For me [it] was the first time in an American college.”

Asked what he thought of new coach Chris Mullin, Mussini said, “He is a really good person.”

The 6-foot Mussini is also being recruited by Davidson, Gonzaga and Virginia, but has no other visits set at the moment. He still must decide whether he will attend an American college at all next season.

“No others because I have a busy schedule,” he said. “I would like to do that.”

More at the link.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/italian-guard-mussini-enjoys-st-johns-visit/

jazzdelmar
04-14-2015, 05:04 AM
Italian Guard Mussini Enjoys St. John’s Visit
April 13th, 2015 9:34 am
A70G0181_large_400x400Italian guard Federico Mussini enjoyed his visit to St. John’s on Sunday on his way home from the Nike Hoop Summit.

“Really good!!” Mussini said via direct message. “I liked the atmosphere of the college. For me [it] was the first time in an American college.”

Asked what he thought of new coach Chris Mullin, Mussini said, “He is a really good person.”

The 6-foot Mussini is also being recruited by Davidson, Gonzaga and Virginia, but has no other visits set at the moment. He still must decide whether he will attend an American college at all next season.

“No others because I have a busy schedule,” he said. “I would like to do that.”

More at the link.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/italian-guard-mussini-enjoys-st-johns-visit/

Atmosphere of the college? Hillcrest? Utopia Parkway? There is no atmosphere. Of that list, St Johns is the way way outlier and its presence on the list is a testament to Lav's charm (as well as his inability to coach post-recruitment). Bennett does both in spades but UVa (and GU) seem a reach for the tiny paisano. McKillop knows small white dudes and somewhat taller future NBA impresarios.

thespywhozaggedme
04-14-2015, 05:53 AM
Jazzy, Lavin's no longer at St. Johns, Mullin's the man now. The fact that Musso was in Portland and didn't even visit us tells me that we've got bigger (literally and figuratively) recruits lined up.
Atmosphere of the college? Hillcrest? Utopia Parkway? There is no atmosphere. Of that list, St Johns is the way way outlier and its presence on the list is a testament to Lav's charm (as well as his inability to coach post-recruitment). Bennett does both in spades but UVa (and GU) seem a reach for the tiny paisano. McKillop knows small white dudes and somewhat taller future NBA impresarios.

jazzdelmar
04-14-2015, 06:01 AM
Jazzy, Lavin's no longer at St. Johns, Mullin's the man now. The fact that Musso was in Portland and didn't even visit us tells me that we've got bigger (literally and figuratively) recruits lined up.

Spy, I know. Mully is a friend. Just saying Lav initiated the recruiting of Muss. I think we wisely passed on the young fellow. He needs two red shirt years to get up to the level of decent D1 play. If he sees that, he's as likely to stay in Italia.

thespywhozaggedme
04-14-2015, 06:11 AM
Ah, gotcha. I think you're being a little hard on him, he scored 10 points in the hoops summit, more than the much more heralded Rabb and Thon Maker. He's a good shooter and could fit in somewhere, but like I said, I think we've got some bigger recruits lined up.
Spy, I know. Mully is a friend. Just saying Lav initiated the recruiting of Muss. I think we wisely passed on the young fellow. He needs two red shirt years to get up to the level of decent D1 play. If he sees that, he's as likely to stay in Italia.

Reborn
04-14-2015, 06:40 AM

I agree with Jazz. I see no need to have Muss and Wade on the same team. They are both short point guards, and IMO, Wade is much better.
And there is no way that Muss will ever beat out Perkins. Many believe Perkins will leave for the NBA before his tenure at Gonzaga would be over. Let's say Perkin's leaves after 2 or 3 more years. Will Muss want to wait that long to start? And like I said, Wade will be at GU in two years I believe.

jazzdelmar
04-14-2015, 06:43 AM
Ah, gotcha. I think you're being a little hard on him, he scored 10 points in the hoops summit, more than the much more heralded Rabb and Thon Maker. He's a good shooter and could fit in somewhere, but like I said, I think we've got some bigger recruits lined up.

Spy, points kinda meaningless in such a game and he is a good shooter. He flunked the eyeball test, looking like a pinball in a long and tortuous game. Just MO.

thespywhozaggedme
04-14-2015, 06:47 AM
"eyeball test"? Coming from a Zags fan? Half of our team flunks the eyeball test, I couldn't care less about stuff like that. It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog. That being said, I do think he's better served on a different team.
Spy, points kinda meaningless in such a game and he is a good shooter. He flunked the eyeball test, looking like a pinball in a long and tortuous game. Just MO.

LongIslandZagFan
04-14-2015, 06:49 AM

I beg to differ. SJU, especially with the dorms, the new soccer field, athletic center, and student center there is more atmosphere than you think. I thought it had a very nice feel when I worked there and they hadn't added the last three things i mentioned... they have JUST built the dorms. Before the dorms when it 100% commuter school... yeah, I would probably agree with you.

jazzdelmar
04-14-2015, 06:49 AM
"eyeball test"? Coming from a Zags fan? Half of our team flunks the eyeball test, I couldn't care less about stuff like that. It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog. That being said, I do think he's better served on a different team.

Funny, cuz you're right. Yet it seems you are coming out the right end of the Mussini matter.

thespywhozaggedme
04-14-2015, 07:06 AM
So we agree. Excellent! :cheers:
Funny, cuz you're right. Yet it seems you are coming out the right end of the Mussini matter.

hooter73
04-14-2015, 09:25 AM
"eyeball test"? Coming from a Zags fan? Half of our team flunks the eyeball test,

LMAO that is sig worthy right there.

thespywhozaggedme
04-14-2015, 09:36 AM
Yup. One of the reasons that I fist fell in love with the team 18 years ago. We didn't look like we belonged, but we played like we did.
LMAO that is sig worthy right there.

zagfan94
04-14-2015, 10:14 AM
Were there any issues with Mussini other than strength/weight? These things, unlike skill, can be guaranteed to improve given proper diet and training.

thespywhozaggedme
04-14-2015, 10:43 AM
Not really; the kids a shooter. But he is very slight and might not grow any taller. I think the entire game is on youtube if you wanna watch it.
Were there any issues with Mussini other than strength/weight? These things, unlike skill, can be guaranteed to improve given proper diet and training.

Angelo Roncalli
04-14-2015, 10:47 AM

Height.

thespywhozaggedme
04-14-2015, 10:48 AM
I don't think he's much smaller than David, but he's a much better shooter. Got his shot off with ease against the worlds best. I'm torn on him.
Height.

Hogan
04-14-2015, 10:59 AM
Given his size, I did not see elite speed or quickness.

Worthington
04-14-2015, 11:11 AM
It's not quantifiable with Mussini. Yeah he's small and skinny and not a great athlete, but every international competition he's ever played in, he ended up being one of the best players. He's every bit as good a shooter as anyone we've ever had. Nobody was talking about him coming into the Nike Hoop Summit, but 3 practices in he was being called the world team's best shooter and most polished guard. There were potential NBA picks for this year on the same team and yet it was Mussini playing the minutes down the stretch in a tight game against the US team. Not to mention that in every interview I've heard he comes across as a share the ball, team first player. If Mussini decides to play for us we should consider ourselves very, very lucky.

DixieZag
04-14-2015, 11:21 AM
It's not quantifiable with Mussini. Yeah he's small and skinny and not a great athlete, but every international competition he's ever played in, he ended up being one of the best players. He's every bit as good a shooter as anyone we've ever had. Nobody was talking about him coming into the Nike Hoop Summit, but 3 practices in he was being called the world team's best shooter and most polished guard. There were potential NBA picks for this year on the same team and yet it was Mussini playing the minutes down the stretch in a tight game against the US team. Not to mention that in every interview I've heard he comes across as a share the ball, team first player. If Mussini decides to play for us we should consider ourselves very, very lucky.

I know little about the whole situation, but this is a great post. How much it transfers, who knows?

Sometimes there are those guys (in any sport) who are too short, slow, weak, skinny, fat, whatever and yet they keep succeeding through all the talk about how they'll never be good b/c ______________. Dunno if this is that guy, but it's not like its never happened.

titopoet
04-14-2015, 11:29 AM

Much like Sabonis, he plays in the upper division of Italian league and plays against a lot of former D1 players. He actually played better than Sabonis in the last U18 Eurochamp. He also dominated the US in the 2014 Albert Schweitzer Tournament against a bunch of D1 recruits. There is a reason Tony Bennet wants him. He decides to come, Zags will take him.

BobZag
04-14-2015, 02:46 PM
Much like Sabonis, he plays in the upper division of Italian league and plays against a lot of former D1 players. He actually played better than Sabonis in the last U18 Eurochamp. He also dominated the US in the 2014 Albert Schweitzer Tournament against a bunch of D1 recruits. There is a reason Tony Bennet wants him. He decides to come, Zags will take him.

He is very similar to Derek Raivio. I liked Derek.

Zagdawg
04-14-2015, 02:57 PM
Agree --he led his team over of a bunch of US Div 1 players last year---good to have an extra shooter. I'd take another Derek in a second.

We have 4 scholarships to fill (at least)--would not hurt to have an extra guard in one of them.