PDA

View Full Version : Your Call --One Item You Hope a Specific Player Will Work on in the Off Season

Zagdawg
03-31-2015, 07:15 PM
Karnowski = Free Throws ---get from 50% to 65-70% (too much to ask in a single offseason?)

Option B. Karnowski --increased elevation (through better physical conditioning)

gonzagafan62
03-31-2015, 07:17 PM
Melson - I have faith in all the player tht are currently on our team. I would love to see more consistency in his overall game ... He seems very inconsistent. Maybe working out like pangos and going to the gym would solve that. Maybe it's just a sample size and my perception. Idk.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-31-2015, 07:19 PM
Karnowski = Free Throws ---get from 50% to 65-70% (too much to ask in a single offseason?)

Option B. Karnowski --increased elevation (through better physical conditioning)

I think 65% would be too much. But 58-62% or so is doable.

For me, get any of the guards...Draino, Melson, Perkins, whoever...to 40% from behind the arc and I'll feel reeeeaaaaal good.

Goshzagit
03-31-2015, 07:28 PM
Perkins - strength, healthy weight gain

Melson - passing/vision

McClellan - finishing, a floater

Dranginis - 3 pt shooting

Sabonis - court IQ, face-up game

Karnowski - right hand

Wiltjer - muscle

Edwards - lose baby fat, lean muscle

Alberts - mental & physical prep for PT

Triano/Griffin/Bakamus - more bench synchronized swag & moves

sittingon50
03-31-2015, 07:47 PM
KW = lateral foot speed.

GrizZAG
03-31-2015, 07:51 PM
KW...better alley-oop passing
Karno...FT improvement
Edwards...get mean and lean
Perkins...understand what leadership role will mean
McClellen...kick out if you are in trouble, master the fade away jumper
Dranginis....keep that awesome MoJo going...nail threes
Sabonis...let up on the butt hurt act a bit
Melson...play your game within our system

Regardless I firmly believe this team next year will be stunningly good with some rookie mistakes salted in by the newbies which is to be expected.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-31-2015, 08:32 PM
One item, specific player:

Sabonis face-up game from free throw line: (knock down that jumper / controlled dribble drive to the hoop without taking a charge / passing into the low post).

DixieZag
03-31-2015, 08:44 PM
Yeah, agree with many others, single greatest tool we could get is that our rising star Sabonis can dribble drive to the hoop without barreling over people, spin, etc, and shoot face up out to 10 feet.

Drainginis - get 3pt above 40%, huge, he'd be able to drive through the lane so much better if he was a real threat from 3.

Wiltjer - continue to get stronger, put on 10 pounds in the abdomen/shoulders

Perkins - Wear a football helmet, don't get kicked in the face.

Melson - study up and work out to become a defensive stopper like Dranginis

EMac - Jump shot, consistent.

thespywhozaggedme
03-31-2015, 08:46 PM
KW, lift a weight, please. He has the body of a 17 year old and he's amazing. Imagine if he dedicated himself to the weight room.

thespywhozaggedme
03-31-2015, 08:47 PM
Draino: less careless, lazy passes/turnovers.

Baseline
03-31-2015, 10:13 PM
Sabonis add a close in jumper

Wiltjer really improved his rebounding, continue to work strength and work on defense

Melson attack the basket more

Edwards become very aggressive on scoring

emac look to score, defered too much

PK work on more shot types

KD slashing & 3's

CdAZagFan
03-31-2015, 11:09 PM
Sabonis and Karno - more fluent with right hand shots close to basket, and that free-throw line jump shot. Wouldn't even mind if Sabonis could step out and hit some 3's (didn't I see that in some of his European highlights?)

ZagaZags
03-31-2015, 11:58 PM
Karnowski working on the FTs.

Sabonis working on not getting the over-the-back foul.

Wiltjer get more work with conditioning coach Travis Knight.

Perkins is perfect in my book.

WallaWallaZag
04-01-2015, 08:12 AM
For me, get any of the guards...Draino, Melson, Perkins, whoever...to 40% from behind the arc and I'll feel reeeeaaaaal good.

very very small sample size, but perkins was @ 40% this year...i actually think that the zags should have 2 guys over 40% (not including kw) considering how wide open the 3's are going to be with the front-court dominance.

i'll go out on a limb and say that alberts will be over 40%...

as far as 1 single thing to help the team...without knowing what the young guards will bring, wiltjer better on defense would probably make the biggest difference.

krozman
04-01-2015, 08:23 AM
Since next year's final 4 will be in Houston.......am I allowed to say "Dome Shooting?"

LongIslandZagFan
04-01-2015, 08:33 AM
Wiltjer... lateral quickness and general D
Karno... 1,000 FTs a day
Edwards... Get angry
Perkins... Small set of data to work with. 3 pt consistency
McClellen... mid-range jumper and confidence in going to the hoop... felt like he passed up on shots and bailed out of drives
Dranginis... Playing more in control on the offensive end
Sabonis... As has been stated here before... mid-range jumper.
Melson... just get used to the system... be more willing to bang the 3... lastly M2M D.

VinnyZag
04-01-2015, 08:41 AM
One item, specific player:

Sabonis face-up game from free throw line: (knock down that jumper / controlled dribble drive to the hoop without taking a charge / passing into the low post).

This is what I was gonna type. He's practically unstoppable if he can hit 15 footers.

basketballzag
04-01-2015, 08:57 AM
Triano/Griffin/Bakamus - more bench synchronized swag & moves

Bakamus -- #1 issue is his height. The kid needs to work on getting taller this off season. He was only 1 inch off from beating out Pangos this year but next year he loses 3 inches to Emac and 4 inches to Daino. He has to hit the inverter machine hard this off season. He grew up in Longview but he sure isn't living up the name of his hometown at this stage. The difference between a NBA lottery pick and the 1st round is a matter of inches so if he can get himself another break-out performance like he did against Texas Southern but add length to his body he will be deadly. He will also need a ton of help from the 2nd/3rd string back-ups on the court because Perkins/Alberts/Draino/Emac will have to step up and take some of his time so he can take long rests on the bench.

Griffin -- #1 issue is his height as well. How many 6-4 SFs are there in the NBA--not many but if he can stretch his body one more inch he has a shot of actually making a dunk in a game. He kept coming up one inch short this year. Regular inverter machine workouts are required for him to progress this year so his dunks actually go in the basket.

Triano -- it all falls on his shoulders this year with Bell & Wesley gone. He has a capable back-up in Melson who will need to take extended minutes on the court to relieve Triano from over working himself on the court next year. His Achilles heel is his mental inability to score over the 3 points in one game--he just can't surpass that number for some reason. Luckily he has three more years to work on surpassing this critical scoring goal.

Roese -- is he taking another redshirt season next year? I just don't have enough information on him to focus on his weaknesses. I did hear that the staff was unable to speak Portuguese with him this year because they though Brazilians only spoke Spanish. So there may have been some communication issues that need to be worked on but this is a staff problem not a Roese issue.

As far as Bench Play goes--Rem needs to work on his Worm move before he even thinks about attempting this in public. It was bad enough that he "tried" the moonwalk during the Southeastern Louisiana game and tripped on his feet causing him to fall onto the bench but the Moonwalk isn't the Worm. Foot speed will be critical and I'm not sure that Triano or Griffin have that skill set either. Not to be too highly critical but I did not see anyone attempt the Robot, Flare, 2-Step, Swipe, or Windmill moves at any time on the court this year. If we want to be elite we have to act elite. Karno wishes he had 1 ounce of the talent that these four guys have so perhaps some dance lessons would appropriate for him this offseason.

FlagZag
04-01-2015, 09:27 AM

Few- Get more of an attitude with poor calls by refs. Show your players you got their back. Emulate Coach K in this regard. Poor Karno got 3 lousy phantom touch foul calls vs Duke and he is really starting to show the frustration. I know its not your style but just do it. You'll feel better. Get an out of bounds play that works. Throwing the ball to a guard at half court is not a play. Get a close out play at half that has a chance of success. A 3 at the buzzer gives a team a lot more momentum than what we have been doing. Next time you see Melson uninvolved on the bench speak forcefully with him. The guys who hardly ever play show more enthusiasm than he does. Except for these things you were my COY. Hurry November!

Zagceo
04-01-2015, 09:33 AM
Few- Get more of an attitude with poor calls by refs. Show your players you got their back. Emulate Coach K in this regard. Poor Karno got 3 lousy phantom touch foul calls vs Duke and he is really starting to show the frustration. I know its not your style but just do it. You'll feel better. Get an out of bounds play that works. Throwing the ball to a guard at half court is not a play. Get a close out play at half that has a chance of success. A 3 at the buzzer gives a team a lot more momentum than what we have been doing. Next time you see Melson uninvolved on the bench speak forcefully with him. The guys who hardly ever play show more enthusiasm than he does. Except for these things you were my COY. Hurry November!

It would have been epic had Few gotten Teed up after Przem's second foul. I think the team would have responded as well. Never Know

FlagZag
04-01-2015, 10:11 AM
It would have been epic had Few gotten Teed up after Przem's second foul. I think the team would have responded as well. Never Know

Exactly.

gonzagafan62
04-01-2015, 10:13 AM

I would never give points to Duke.

Zagceo
04-01-2015, 10:29 AM
I would never give points to Duke.

13 TO and 8 steals and still had a chance to win it IMO…………… Think big picture team responses and energy through the roof and we give up a few points but get 10 in return!

gotta think outside the box sometimes!

Mantua
04-01-2015, 03:36 PM
Wiltjer... lateral quickness and general D
Karno... 1,000 FTs a day
Edwards... Get angry
Perkins... Small set of data to work with. 3 pt consistency
McClellen... mid-range jumper and confidence in going to the hoop... felt like he passed up on shots and bailed out of drives
Dranginis... Playing more in control on the offensive end
Sabonis... As has been stated here before... mid-range jumper.
Melson... just get used to the system... be more willing to bang the 3... lastly M2M D.

I like this list.

For the team, I would add making sure that we have position under the basket at both ends and defending the dribble drive.

Bogozags
04-01-2015, 03:37 PM
First and foremost, Coach Few please set up offensive plays similar to what Rose did for Tyler Haws for Melson. He is stronger and more skilled than Tyler Haws...I just picture him coming around screens at the FT line...

PK and DS both develop jump shots and use them. Also, PK needs to work on his FT shooting...understand practice doesn't make perfect BUT perfect practice makes perfect...he needs quality time to work on his FT shooting...shooting 1000 FTs each day isn't the answer...shooting 100 FTs correctly each day might well be the answer. Sacre's hard work between his jr and sr years led him to be a threat at the FT line and play in the NBA..PK needs to improve this aspect of his game this off season or his NBA opportunity might not arrive.

KW to build upper body strength and work on a fade-away jumper...

Mantua
04-01-2015, 03:48 PM
Bakamus -- #1 issue is his height. The kid needs to work on getting taller this off season. He was only 1 inch off from beating out Pangos this year but next year he loses 3 inches to Emac and 4 inches to Daino. He has to hit the inverter machine hard this off season. He grew up in Longview but he sure isn't living up the name of his hometown at this stage. The difference between a NBA lottery pick and the 1st round is a matter of inches so if he can get himself another break-out performance like he did against Texas Southern but add length to his body he will be deadly. He will also need a ton of help from the 2nd/3rd string back-ups on the court because Perkins/Alberts/Draino/Emac will have to step up and take some of his time so he can take long rests on the bench.

Griffin -- #1 issue is his height as well. How many 6-4 SFs are there in the NBA--not many but if he can stretch his body one more inch he has a shot of actually making a dunk in a game. He kept coming up one inch short this year. Regular inverter machine workouts are required for him to progress this year so his dunks actually go in the basket.

Triano -- it all falls on his shoulders this year with Bell & Wesley gone. He has a capable back-up in Melson who will need to take extended minutes on the court to relieve Triano from over working himself on the court next year. His Achilles heel is his mental inability to score over the 3 points in one game--he just can't surpass that number for some reason. Luckily he has three more years to work on surpassing this critical scoring goal.

Roese -- is he taking another redshirt season next year? I just don't have enough information on him to focus on his weaknesses. I did hear that the staff was unable to speak Portuguese with him this year because they though Brazilians only spoke Spanish. So there may have been some communication issues that need to be worked on but this is a staff problem not a Roese issue.

As far as Bench Play goes--Rem needs to work on his Worm move before he even thinks about attempting this in public. It was bad enough that he "tried" the moonwalk during the Southeastern Louisiana game and tripped on his feet causing him to fall onto the bench but the Moonwalk isn't the Worm. Foot speed will be critical and I'm not sure that Triano or Griffin have that skill set either. Not to be too highly critical but I did not see anyone attempt the Robot, Flare, 2-Step, Swipe, or Windmill moves at any time on the court this year. If we want to be elite we have to act elite. Karno wishes he had 1 ounce of the talent that these four guys have so perhaps some dance lessons would appropriate for him this offseason.

Epic post!

More creativity is order for the bench...maybe making really sarcastic puppets with those towels.