PDA

View Full Version : WCC investment in Brand

Zagceo
03-31-2015, 03:49 PM
Here's a far out suggestion……..Every year when the WCC starts conference play usually the kids are still on Xmas break.

Take BYU and Gonzaga and open them in Los Angeles playing LMU and Pepperdine at Honda Center in double header. Give tickets away to local high school programs and donate proceeds to Cancer Foundation.

Increase profile in No.1 recruiting grounds in west coast!

sittingon50
03-31-2015, 04:15 PM
Other than good pub, what incentivizes LMU & Pep to give up one each of their best home games?

(I generally like the idea)

P.S.

GU & BYU not travel partners.

Zagceo
03-31-2015, 04:21 PM
Other than good pub, what incentivizes LMU & Pep to give up 2 home games?

(I generally like the idea)

Increasing brand in best recruiting pool on west coast. Alternate venues Honda Center one year Staples the next. Match with West Coast Regional final location. Next year its in the Honda Center.

It might be wise for schools to promote the conference as opposed to fearing the day BYU and Gonzaga could Bolt.

gonzagafan62
03-31-2015, 04:25 PM
Gonzaga and BYU are already national brands. You can be in Atlanta or here in Stl Missouri and find any of that stuff. I'm not sure that it would help the brand for the other teams until they make annual trips to the dance. Saint Mary's is close but they don't play any real games until they play BYU and Gonzaga so that really hurts them. And by doing that I think it really hurts their brand.

Zagceo
03-31-2015, 04:31 PM
Gonzaga and BYU are already national brands. You can be in Atlanta or here in Stl Missouri and find any of that stuff. I'm not sure that it would help the brand for the other teams until they make annual trips to the dance. Saint Mary's is close but they don't play any real games until they play BYU and Gonzaga so that really hurts them. And by doing that I think it really hurts their brand.

Have you ever been to Gerstan Pavilion or Firestone field house?

How about Staples Center or Honda Center?

Its not about BYU and Gonzagas brand its about bring up the others in our conference. The No 1 tool used against us in our conference so make it better by putting games in 2 of the best basketball venues in the world which happens to be in the backyard of one of the best recruiting grounds in the country.

DixieZag
03-31-2015, 04:38 PM
I am not the least bit opposed to thinking about and trying new ideas to improve the "brand" or awareness nationally. I think a thread of ideas is excellent.

As to this idea, my questions would be

A) Whether or not LMU and Pepp believe that a 3/4 empty Staples center (at best) would either benefit how they are seen locally, or how it helps them financially, or even if they want to give up the huge home court advantage their "intimate" (to put it nicely) gyms afford them.

B) Whether such an arrangement would even really be noticed over such a busy time of year, what with Bowl Games, holidays, etc. It would seem if it was going to be done, it would be best to hold it.

The single best way to increase the WCC's brand is to do something, anything, to get a team like Pepp, or SM to get the hell out of the west and go beat some mid-level BCS team on their home floor, or even playing them very tight. If the set-up needs to be done without a home and home, or without a neutral setting, so be it. I'd be in favor of the conference providing some incentive to a team willing to do that, so long as GU enjoys the same fruits of the incentive.

Zagceo
03-31-2015, 04:48 PM
I am not the least bit opposed to thinking about and trying new ideas to improve the "brand" or awareness nationally. I think a thread of ideas is excellent.

As to this idea, my questions would be

A) Whether or not LMU and Pepp believe that a 3/4 empty Staples center (at best) would either benefit how they are seen locally, or how it helps them financially, or even if they want to give up the huge home court advantage their "intimate" (to put it nicely) gyms afford them.

B) Whether such an arrangement would even really be noticed over such a busy time of year, what with Bowl Games, holidays, etc. It would seem if it was going to be done, it would be best to hold it.

The single best way to increase the WCC's brand is to do something, anything, to get a team like Pepp, or SM to get the hell out of the west and go beat some mid-level BCS team on their home floor, or even playing them very tight. If the set-up needs to be done without a home and home, or without a neutral setting, so be it. I'd be in favor of the conference providing some incentive to a team willing to do that, so long as GU enjoys the same fruits of the incentive.

Thats why this is a West Coast Conference Investment. Teams in So Cal need better players to beat bigger better programs. This is marketing and if our conference gives tickets away to high school kids and can't fill Staples because kids don't want to see free college basketball involving BYU and Gonzaga we have a much bigger problem.

Remember its for charity and WCC is supporting it as those NCAA revenues continue to rise.

Zagceo
03-31-2015, 04:58 PM
The other idea I would suggest to WCC members is get into the numbers and look at creating your own Pay service using The.W.

I've heard more than one story about the mouse being tight with ESPN. The fishing hole had 40K views and delivering programs over the internet is here and cost effective. Gonzaga and BYU have world wide appeal. Thats alone is worth a look see.

Production and promotion costs should be easy to establish. Gonzaga and others I'm sure have the capabilities with broadcast departments in their schools.

RenoZag
03-31-2015, 07:27 PM
"WCC - Gonzaga" generates 432,000 results on Google Search

"Gonzaga - WCC" generates 398,000 results

"Gonzaga Basketball" generates 26,000,000 hits.

Investing in the "WCC" brand would have about the same return on investment as a Radio Shack store in a mall with JC Penney and Sports Authority as anchor tenants.

Zagceo
03-31-2015, 07:37 PM
"WCC - Gonzaga" generates 432,000 results on Google Search

"Gonzaga - WCC" generates 398,000 results

"Gonzaga Basketball" generates 26,000,000 hits.

Investing in the "WCC" brand would have about the same return on investment as a Radio Shack store in a mall with JC Penney and Sports Authority as anchor tenants.

OK my point is using the Gonzaga basketball brand and BYU brand to increase the low profile of the WCC by showcasing the LMU Pepp USD programs of southern California.

You interested in a better conference?

RenoZag
03-31-2015, 07:49 PM
Not at all, ceo. I just hate to see good money thrown after bad

WCC as a brand is a tough sell.

Zagceo
03-31-2015, 08:06 PM
Not at all, ceo. I just hate to see good money thrown after bad

oops I get it.

I just want Zags to have 2 games every week in conference that I look forward too.

I Can't get excited for WCC teams twice a year. It's like half the season we're playing the Washington Generals.

Zagdawg
03-31-2015, 08:10 PM
Gonzaga invests in itself and builds momentum--- too many other WCC schools are happy to take the NCAA dance check that is provided to them each year and put is someplace else other than their basketball program. The rest of the WCC needs to be willing to step up also --many schools don't want to commit to doing that.

St Marys is a great example of a program that could be going out and playing solid schools and building the WCC brand --but they choose to stay close to home and avoid the road. They don't understand that you need to earn your spot in line to be at the big boy table -----the whole "Gonzaga will go out and do the heavy lifting--then all we need to do is get lucky and beat them at home and now we have a solid win" program is not working.

At some point I hope it makes financial sense for the Zags to join a new conference--the product we deliver on the basketball court is worthy of a bigger opportunity --we just need the rest of the sports to work out somehow.