PDA

View Full Version : An International Exhibition trips would help the Zags for next year

goodbja
03-31-2015, 01:49 PM
The NCAA allows a team to schedule such a trip once every four years to play extra games and for 10 extra days of practice. I think that only those enrolled in the school can participate. We probably will be relying on Alberts, Edwards, Perkins, Melson, and McClelan to play substantial minutes next year buth did not get to play much or at all this year for various reasons. I think this is the year that Gonzaga should seriously consider such a trip to get a head start on the 2015-16 season.

sittingon50
03-31-2015, 01:57 PM
I hope so. A trip to Europe to reward Karno & Domas.

Ebay
03-31-2015, 02:00 PM
Have we ever done this? Wasted opportunity if we don't take advantage of this every 4 years. Go play some pro teams in Europe! We have enough former Zags over there that we could even run into a few of them playing.

gonzagafan62
03-31-2015, 02:13 PM
It would be damn near awesome. Needs to be televised too. Did anyone see how much a trip like this benefitted Kentucky this season? They drilled their Ooc opponents. It helped a lot getting extra gametime in sure

Zagdawg
03-31-2015, 02:52 PM
Need to be in the planning phase last year to make sure everything is lined up to make happen.
Caribbean trip already on our schedule.

Maybe the following year?

bartruff1
03-31-2015, 03:52 PM
Cuts into the summer steelhead run....I recall Few saying something to the effect his two favorite days are the start of practice and the end of the season. No Mas,

Zagceo
03-31-2015, 04:02 PM
Cuts into the summer steelhead run....I recall Few saying something to the effect his two favorite days are the start of practice and the end of the season. No Mas,

Perfect for Tommy Lloyd to cut his teeth.

Marcus
03-31-2015, 04:07 PM
Need to be in the planning phase last year to make sure everything is lined up to make happen.
Caribbean trip already on our schedule.

Maybe the following year?

Not if they come to Canada. Vancouver is a short trip and it would be easy to arrange games on short notice with the local schools. Santa Clara did it, Kansas did too among a few others. Few could even arrange to hit some fishing spots if he wanted.

bartruff1
03-31-2015, 04:24 PM
Just my projection....when you are young and single, travel is fun and exciting....when you are 50 and have teens and preteens, you want to be home as much as possible.

Happy wife happy life. Life is short, don't miss it.

MDABE80
03-31-2015, 04:40 PM
Is the Japan trip in 2015 Fall or the year after? I know Japan's on the menu.

gonzagafan62
03-31-2015, 04:44 PM
Is the Japan trip in 2015 Fall or the year after? I know Japan's on the menu.

2015. We play in Okinawa this season against Pittsburgh

DixieZag
03-31-2015, 04:48 PM
Just my projection....when you are young and single, travel is fun and exciting....when you are 50 and have teens and preteens, you want to be home as much as possible.

Happy wife happy life. Life is short, don't miss it.

Given we've never availed ourselves of the opportunity, I would think this is one legitimate reason. Family matters are huge to the staff (and to their credit) and 2 to 3 weeks in the summer, not even counting practice, sure cuts into that time. One could make the argument that it could wear out the coaching staff. It is easy for me to say, from the outside, that it is only allowed once every 5 years or so and they should be doing it, regardless - especially with our Euro presence and trying to get them playing a few games close to home. But, again, easy for me to say.

It would be entirely in keeping with the university mission, too. Giving all those students, including trainers and such, a chance to tour the world, is a true unique opportunity.