PDA

View Full Version : Nice Seattle Times article by Jerry Brewer

Radbooks
03-31-2015, 10:12 AM
I don't always like Jerry's stuff, but I felt this article was pretty good.
'The key to making it to the Final Four: persistence.' (http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/ncaa-tournament/the-key-to-making-it-to-the-final-four-persistence/)

Then Krzyzewski made his strongest points.

ďI hear people talking about disappointments,Ē Coach K said. ďAnytime you make the NCAA tournament, itís not a disappointment. Ask a football team if it goes to a bowl game. Seventy-something football teams go to bowls out of (120). Sixty-eight basketball teams go to the NCAA tournament out of 350. Itís an amazing honor.

ďWe run the gauntlet. We donít have to win one bowl game or be happy because of it. Weíre judged by whether we win or lose in this gauntlet, and too much is then forgotten about the journey that each of these teams made. The journey for Gonzaga to get 35 wins ó are you kidding me? But somebody is going to throw out to them that they havenít gone to a Final Four. Come on. Ö We should celebrate the accomplishments of all the young men and teams that make this tournament because itís not a birthright. Itís earned each year.Ē

Gonzaga isnít trying to get over a Final Four hump as much as itís searching for the good fortune to get that far. It will happen if coach Mark Few and his staff continue to stay true to what theyíve built. Keep building great teams that earn great seeds in the NCAA tournament, and the Zags will break through.

jazzdelmar
03-31-2015, 10:13 AM
Koach takes his role as godfather of US basketball very seriously.

CDC84
03-31-2015, 10:22 AM
As I keep saying, you can't win 81% of your games and not break through at some point.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-31-2015, 10:29 AM
"Gonzaga isn’t trying to get over a Final Four hump as much as it’s searching for the good fortune to get that far. It will happen if coach Mark Few and his staff continue to stay true to what they’ve built. Keep building great teams that earn great seeds in the NCAA tournament, and the Zags will break through."

Oh my gosh...THIS!

Basketball games, by and large, are coin flips. If we keep making the Tournament, there is no doubt in my mind that EVENTUALLY, we'll flip the coin and get 4 straight heads. Just gotta keep getting in position to flip the coin.

TheGonzagaFactor
03-31-2015, 11:12 AM
"Gonzaga isn’t trying to get over a Final Four hump as much as it’s searching for the good fortune to get that far. It will happen if coach Mark Few and his staff continue to stay true to what they’ve built. Keep building great teams that earn great seeds in the NCAA tournament, and the Zags will break through."

Oh my gosh...THIS!

Basketball games, by and large, are coin flips. If we keep making the Tournament, there is no doubt in my mind that EVENTUALLY, we'll flip the coin and get 4 straight heads. Just gotta keep getting in position to flip the coin.

Yep, just keep doing what we're doing, build, and we will get the combination of good performance and luck that is needed to get to a F4. Even this year, if someone steps up and upsets Duke before the E8 (SDSU, Utah) we would've won by 15 and we'd be scouting Michigan State right now.

rennis
03-31-2015, 11:25 AM
As I keep saying, you can't win 81% of your games and not break through at some point.

Agreed. As coach Few says "just keep sawin' wood"

on the other hand, Brewer's point that he wishes Husky fans had appreciated the sweet 16s is good advice for all of us. Appreciate what you have while you have it, for tomorrow is not guaranteed.