• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gonzagafan62
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2013

The legacy of BWes and Cwes

Byron was so gracious to our university and really meshed with this team and helped us to the elite eight. Ms Wesley came on and thanked us for welcoming and treating Byron with the respect she wanted. How do these two live in Gonzaga lore in your minds? Man I'm going to miss them
    Last edited by gonzagafan62; 03-31-2015, 08:40 AM.
    Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.
  • MTZag03
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2012

Byron was great. All around good guy. First effective 3 we've had for years. Glad he finally got his tourney experience. Even though he was only here this year he will be always be a part of the best GU team to date.

Comment

• thegloriousgoateeofKP
      Professional Zag Fan
      • Jul 2007

I felt that Byron's contributions fell off as the season went on. I felt like his drives became less effective, and (without looking at any data) I feel like his PPG average declined significantly too. Would've liked for him to score more late in the year.

HOWEVER, we was underratedly valuable on the boards. And his mom's post touched my heart and reminded all of us why we love Gonzaga so much.

Because Byron played only one year, I think his legacy at GU as a player will be overshadowed by everyone who was here longer. But his mom's post...that'll live forever on this board (and in my heart).

Comment

• Zagceo
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2013

Byron was important part of the teams success this year and will always be remembered as a class act by this GU Alum.

Thanks Byron Good Luck

Comment

• Birddog
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

I felt that Byron's contributions fell off as the season went on. I felt like his drives became less effective, and (without looking at any data) I feel like his PPG average declined significantly too. Would've liked for him to score more late in the year.
          A lot of that is because opposing coaches game plan around an opponents strengths and try to neutralize them. This is esp true by the time post season rolls around.
          Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
          Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
          All mimsy were the borogoves,
          And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• thegloriousgoateeofKP
            Professional Zag Fan
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Birddog View Post
            A lot of that is because opposing coaches game plan around an opponents strengths and try to neutralize them. This is esp true by the time post season rolls around.
            Definitely. Regardless of his effectiveness, he gave us another dimension on offense. The only thing we're missing next year is someone like him. Does Errol Knight have any eligibility left?

Comment

• DZ
              Zag for Life
              • Sep 2007

Byron did what a Zag is supposed to do. He set the bar higher for every player into the future. And I don't mean necessarily by "play." (though that, too).

No, what Byron did is now set the bar such that all transfers will be expected to tailor their game and attitude to whatever it takes to win, including putting aside whatever personal stats might have been had, incoming players will have to be mature adults, able to laugh at themselves and go to war for their teammates. They must recognize how unique the opportunity to be a Zag is and work to quickly gain their teammates trust and respect.

From here on out, when coach Few talks to a kid who is wanting to transfer here, Coach will point to Byron as the "gold standard." That, along with the friendships and great play, is BWes' lasting legacy here.
              Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
              Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
              X