PDA

View Full Version : Off-season Transfer Thread

Pages : [1] 2

ZagAddict
03-30-2015, 12:07 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12587754/damion-lee-drexel-dragons-plans-graduate-play-another-school-next-season
http://www.barstoolsports.com/dmv/maryland-is-expected-to-push-hard-for-drexel-transfer-damion-lee-who-averaged-21-points-and-6-rebounds-this-last-season/

A 6'6" wing that can score and has 3pt shooting range. He will be eligible to play next year since he will be a senior graduate transfer. It could be a nice fit to replace Byron at the wing next year. It appears that Maryland has the lead for his senior year services. It would be tough to lure him all the way to the west coast, but it seems like he would be a nice addition for the Zags next year.

LongIslandZagFan
03-30-2015, 12:36 PM
I am going to start this as we don't want to have a bunch of smaller threads. I or the mods will try to merge in threads when we see them.

GoZags
03-30-2015, 12:40 PM
A word of caution. There will be no speculation (or suggestions) of current Zags transferring out of the GU program allowed here. This thread is to speculate on potential (or interesting) transfers from other schools.

gonzagafan62
03-30-2015, 12:42 PM
A word of caution. There will be no speculation (or suggestions) of current Zags transferring out of the GU program allowed here. This thread is to speculate on potential (or interesting) transfers from other schools.

Thanks for the reminder.

rennis
03-30-2015, 12:47 PM
I would like to transfer out of my desk job and into a beach setting where I didn't have to do anything this summer. That would be the best off-season transfer of all time.

cjm720
03-30-2015, 12:49 PM

Why? Nunez has hinted at it...I have a hunch he might change his mind.

LongIslandZagFan
03-30-2015, 12:49 PM
I would like to transfer out of my desk job and into a beach setting where I didn't have to do anything this summer. That would be the best off-season transfer of all time.

Amen to that.

Back to the task at hand. Damian Lee, that kind of transfer would be a huge salve on the three guard loss wound.

LongIslandZagFan
03-30-2015, 12:50 PM

Then keep it in another thread. This is for incoming only.

cjm720
03-30-2015, 12:51 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12587754/damion-lee-drexel-dragons-plans-graduate-play-another-school-next-season
http://www.barstoolsports.com/dmv/maryland-is-expected-to-push-hard-for-drexel-transfer-damion-lee-who-averaged-21-points-and-6-rebounds-this-last-season/

A 6'6" wing that can score and has 3pt shooting range. He will be eligible to play next year since he will be a senior graduate transfer. It could be a nice fit to replace Byron at the wing next year. It appears that Maryland has the lead for his senior year services. It would be tough to lure him all the way to the west coast, but it seems like he would be a nice addition for the Zags next year.

Lee seems like he'd be a great get! Awesome numbers....and his coach is very familiar with our school. I have to imagine Lee has followed our program...maybe he noticed how successful BW has been!!! Makes sense to me :)

cjm720
03-30-2015, 12:52 PM
Then keep it in another thread. This is for incoming only.

People might get confused by the name of the thread.

DixieZag
03-30-2015, 12:52 PM

I think it invites too much personal speculation into a kid's motivations and personal choices that are not appropriate for an amateur athlete. I think it is fine to talk about a kid's play or a kid thinking about coming here, but with regard to an opinion on a personal choice of someone who is "family" - that is probably beyond what is fair to the student.

LongIslandZagFan
03-30-2015, 01:05 PM
People might get confused by the name of the thread.

Changed the name.

LongIslandZagFan
03-30-2015, 01:06 PM
I think it invites too much personal speculation into a kid's motivations and personal choices that are not appropriate for an amateur athlete. I think it is fine to talk about a kid's play or a kid thinking about coming here, but with regard to an opinion on a personal choice of someone who is "family" - that is probably beyond what is fair to the student.

There is already a Nunez thread, is there not?

DixieZag
03-30-2015, 01:13 PM
There is already a Nunez thread, is there not?

True.

Fine line. I see GZ's point. The Nunez "news" came out in response to a public tweet, which I think makes it a little different.

I dunno. I trust the mods to do the right thing on it (yourself included), and I can see instances where the speculation and opinion might not be appropriate regarding an amateur student.

ETA: I hope that we're not also considering transfers of coaches/trainers. I think there are many programs out there that would want Tommy as a head coach and Travis as strength/conditioning coach and have the job / checkbook to be enticing. I suspect the AD will take care of the checkbook component, we may not "need" them, but I'd rather not have to find that out.

cggonzaga
03-30-2015, 01:49 PM
If everybody returns I don't get the need for a graduate transfer. We'll have Perkins, Melson, Dranginis, McClellan and Alberts easily handling the backcourt and Karno, Wiltjer, Sabonis and Edwards even more easily handling the frontcourt. That's a nine man rotation. Where do we fit somebody else who's expecting major playing time?

jazzdelmar
03-30-2015, 01:59 PM

Clean out your Inbox.

jazzdelmar
03-30-2015, 02:00 PM

Sorry, that slot is taken.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-30-2015, 02:04 PM
If everybody returns I don't get the need for a graduate transfer. We'll have Perkins, Melson, Dranginis, McClellan and Alberts easily handling the backcourt and Karno, Wiltjer, Sabonis and Edwards even more easily handling the frontcourt. That's a nine man rotation. Where do we fit somebody else who's expecting major playing time?

+1. I hope the Zags stand pat this year, allow walk-ons a schollie next year. I have confidence in the above names and think Griffin may earn some time at the 3 too.

cjm720
03-30-2015, 02:06 PM

If a scoring combo guard or wing came knocking, I'm sure we'd listen! I'd take a BW every single year!

thespywhozaggedme
03-30-2015, 02:21 PM
because Lee is better than every wing player that you listed?

cggonzaga
03-30-2015, 02:21 PM
If a scoring combo guard or wing came knocking, I'm sure we'd listen! I'd take a BW every single year!

Why? You don't like our current 5 guards? Let's face it, as good as Wesley was throughout the year, it was Drang getting the crucial minutes in March. I don't want anybody taking away playing time from Perkins and Melson.

Zagdawg
03-30-2015, 02:26 PM
It sounds like the cards are stacked with Maryland.

cggonzaga
03-30-2015, 02:29 PM
because Lee is better than every wing player that you listed?

1) Lee ain't coming here.

2) You're going to recruit over Dranginis again in his 5th year senior season?

3) You're going to recruit over Perkins or Melson for a 1 year player?

I don't care who it is. I don't want anybody. If it's a transfer that has to sit out this year then I'm all for it.

cjm720
03-30-2015, 02:52 PM
Why? You don't like our current 5 guards? Let's face it, as good as Wesley was throughout the year, it was Drang getting the crucial minutes in March. I don't want anybody taking away playing time from Perkins and Melson.

Love 'em. I have a great feeling about Alberts. Perks is a stud of course. Silas showed flashes. Draginis was a beast in the tourney. McC provides great defense at the point and a nice up tempo speed. Likely a good group to build a team around. That said, I'd be fine bringing in a hired gun to help bridge the leadership gap and provide value time on the court.

At the pre-season dinner event in Seattle, Tommy definitely made a point about not recruiting over our current players...will be interesting to monitor.

seacatfan
03-30-2015, 03:11 PM
I would like to see what Dranginis can do playing 25-30 minutes a game. I think he's earned that right. Wesley was a nice player for the Zags this year. He blended nicely, fit in with the team concept. His scoring did drop from almost 18 ppg his Jr. year at USC to about 10 for the Zags. Projecting what a guy did at a mid or low major school to what he could bring to the Zags is sketchy at best. I didn't see Lee play this year, I'd guess hardly anyone else did either. I do feel safe saying there's no way he would average anywhere close to 20 for the Zags.

I don't want to see the Zags regularly dipping into the 5th year Sr. transfer pool. Leave that to Oregon and Iowa St. It's a gamble, never know how it will affect team chemistry. Like I said Wesley was fine, but you never know about the motivation of a kid doing it. Does he just want to be part of a winning team and go the Big Dance, or is he looking at his last chance to showcase himself for the NBA, wants a bigger stage and maybe a ball hog/selfish player? I would say these kind of players are not looking to be coming off the bench and just part of the rotation, they definitely view themselves as starters.

I'd be curious to see how much of an impact these kinds of players have had. I'd guess most of the time they are contributors but don't really put their new team over the top.

cggonzaga
03-30-2015, 03:19 PM
Good points seacat. I would add if a team had a need at a position then it makes perfect sense, ala Wesley this year. I just don't see any need areas for us next year.

sittingon50
03-30-2015, 03:27 PM
IIRC GZ made a point not too long ago that at this point the staff is wielding a pretty sharp pencil r.e. taking on a transfer.

HenneZag
03-30-2015, 03:56 PM
Our frontcourt is set assuming all of our bigs come back, and Edwards will provide some nice depth. Edwards has great feet and hands and is an excellent free throw shooter.

I'm all in for Dranginis next year. This kid has busted his tail and done everything the coaches have asked him to. He turned it up both in the WCC tourney and NCAA's. The kid can play. Both Perkins/Melson will be thrown to the wolves but will provide a different and more athletic duo than in recent past. Sure there will be a few growing pains early but that's to be expected.

Alberts, not talked about a whole lot but I have heard great things about this kid. A tall guard that can shoot the ball well, and can get to the rim.

I can see adding a transfer, but i'm ok without one. I would rather play with what we have and develop confidence and game experience with our talented roster.

thespywhozaggedme
03-30-2015, 04:05 PM
1. OK, THAT WASN'T IN YOUR ORIGINAL QUESTION.
2. FOR A BETTER PLAYER, YES. DRANGS WILL STILL BE 6TH MAN, MR. DO IT ALL
3. NOPE, THEY'RE A PG AND SG, RESPECTIVELY; LEE'S A SF.

I don't care who it is. I don't want anybody. If it's a transfer that has to sit out this year then I'm all for it.

Ekrub
03-30-2015, 05:27 PM
I would like to see what Dranginis can do playing 25-30 minutes a game. I think he's earned that right. Wesley was a nice player for the Zags this year. He blended nicely, fit in with the team concept. His scoring did drop from almost 18 ppg his Jr. year at USC to about 10 for the Zags. Projecting what a guy did at a mid or low major school to what he could bring to the Zags is sketchy at best. I didn't see Lee play this year, I'd guess hardly anyone else did either. I do feel safe saying there's no way he would average anywhere close to 20 for the Zags.

I don't want to see the Zags regularly dipping into the 5th year Sr. transfer pool. Leave that to Oregon and Iowa St. It's a gamble, never know how it will affect team chemistry. Like I said Wesley was fine, but you never know about the motivation of a kid doing it. Does he just want to be part of a winning team and go the Big Dance, or is he looking at his last chance to showcase himself for the NBA, wants a bigger stage and maybe a ball hog/selfish player? I would say these kind of players are not looking to be coming off the bench and just part of the rotation, they definitely view themselves as starters.

I'd be curious to see how much of an impact these kinds of players have had. I'd guess most of the time they are contributors but don't really put their new team over the top.

This last year we needed Wesley because this was the year we obviously needed to make a run with our players. I think next year will be about developing the Perkins-Sabonis connection and I agree that a transfer could screw with chemistry.

Corky
03-30-2015, 05:50 PM
The need I see is a guy who can play the three and be a total shutdown defender to be used as needed. It really looks like depth is good everywhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MDABE80
03-30-2015, 06:19 PM
We have the nucleus we need coming back. Few may be approached by a super player.......if a kid with talent wants to come here, fine. We'll need more on the wing without Dranginis being recruited over. We do not have that person as it sits. We'll be a top five to open the season with what we have now.

BobZag
03-30-2015, 06:59 PM
The thing is, guys, there are 3 open scholies now. Few will NOT allow those 3 spots to remain empty, and maybe, only maybe, a walkon might get one but only one, I don't see a good enough walkon, tbh, so I "think" we're all gonna see incoming players, including a transfer or two. I'm just pointing this out, for better or worse.

No way Zags have even one open scholie next season, soooooooooooo.............

zagsfanforlife
03-30-2015, 07:11 PM
The thing is, guys, there are 3 open scholies now. Few will NOT allow those 3 spots to remain empty, and maybe, only maybe, a walkon might get one but only one, I don't see a good enough walkon, tbh, so I "think" we're all gonna see incoming players, including a transfer or two. I'm just pointing this out, for better or worse.

I would love Mussini + a stud 3 graduate transfer ala Wesley. Who knows what Tommy is working on. Elias, Domas, Ronny... we shouldnt expect any of the 3 schollies to go unused. He will pull another rabbit out of his hat. If youre a top Euro, why wouldnt you want to come to GU? Just look at their tourney success this year + success they have had with PK, Domas, and all others.

Worthington
03-30-2015, 07:48 PM
Tyson Jolly who's going to be visiting in not too long would be a great pickup on the wing. We lost a lot of veteran leadership and locker room guys, I'm predicting will go after a Drew Barham-esque transfer who can come in and be a good role player and bench presence.

Ekrub
03-30-2015, 08:21 PM

I hear you. Just hoping not to see any that the staff is obviously reaching on just to burn a Schollie.

WallaWallaZag
03-30-2015, 09:30 PM

this is the dilemma of becoming a big-time program...would it be fair to dranginis to bring in another wesley? no...but do you want to get to a final four? if yes, then if someone is available that is better than what you currently have, you do it.

besides, if the perkins and mcclellan situations taught anything it is that you can never have too much depth...and right now, a lot of gonzaga's depth is more potential and not proven.

zagfan94
03-30-2015, 11:06 PM
this is the dilemma of becoming a big-time program...would it be fair to dranginis to bring in another wesley? no...but do you want to get to a final four? if yes, then if someone is available that is better than what you currently have, you do it.

besides, if the perkins and mcclellan situations taught anything it is that you can never have too much depth...and right now, a lot of gonzaga's depth is more potential and not proven.

Better in theory doesn't guarantee better in practice though, i.e. Coleman and Landry-edi. Even making an attempt on someone 'better' risks alienating current players. It obviously worked out this year with Wesley largely due to Kyle accepting and thriving in a role that he probably didn't anticipate playing. Doing that again though, it's unreasonable to think he wouldn't take that personally. If he gets 25+ minutes next year I see him getting 8-10 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists while being an elite defender, having 4 years of knowledge of the system, and providing more of the intangibles he showed this year.

WallaWallaZag
03-30-2015, 11:35 PM
Better in theory doesn't guarantee better in practice though, i.e. Coleman and Landry-edi. Even making an attempt on someone 'better' risks alienating current players. It obviously worked out this year with Wesley largely due to Kyle accepting and thriving in a role that he probably didn't anticipate playing. Doing that again though, it's unreasonable to think he wouldn't take that personally. If he gets 25+ minutes next year I see him getting 8-10 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists while being an elite defender, having 4 years of knowledge of the system, and providing more of the intangibles he showed this year.

agree with everything except kd being an "elite" defender...he's good but not near elite imo.

on the other hand, what potentially separates the zags from a final four run next year looks most likely to be perimeter scoring...essentially have to replace 30 points per game and (i'm not completely sold on melson as a soph yet). kd has potential to be all-wcc all around player but i'm not sure he has "go-to" perimeter scorer in him...so if i was the coaching staff i would definitely hedge my bets on another wing scorer.

Zagceo
03-30-2015, 11:40 PM
Love 'em. I have a great feeling about Alberts. Perks is a stud of course. Silas showed flashes. Draginis was a beast in the tourney. McC provides great defense at the point and a nice up tempo speed. Likely a good group to build a team around. That said, I'd be fine bringing in a hired gun to help bridge the leadership gap and provide value time on the court.

At the pre-season dinner event in Seattle, Tommy definitely made a point about not recruiting over our current players...will be interesting to monitor.

after bringing in Wesley he said that?

zagfan94
03-31-2015, 12:37 AM
agree with everything except kd being an "elite" defender...he's good but not near elite imo.

on the other hand, what potentially separates the zags from a final four run next year looks most likely to be perimeter scoring...essentially have to replace 30 points per game and (i'm not completely sold on melson as a soph yet). kd has potential to be all-wcc all around player but i'm not sure he has "go-to" perimeter scorer in him...so if i was the coaching staff i would definitely hedge my bets on another wing scorer.

hmm, I think you're probably right. Now that I've thought back and looked at the stats, I don't see Perkins, Melson, Dranginis and McClellan combined replacing the scoring (and playmaking) of Pangos, Bell and Wesley. Also a good wing addition would probably just move Dranginis to the other starting 2/3 spot so my above point is kind've void.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-31-2015, 05:46 AM
Top 10 transfers from Jeff Goodman

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/post/_/id/4899/top-10-transfers-and-complete-transfer-list&ex_cid=InsiderTwitter_GoodmanTransferList2015March

Birddog
03-31-2015, 05:49 AM

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/post/_/id/4899/top-10-transfers-and-complete-transfer-list&ex_cid=InsiderTwitter_GoodmanTransferList2015March

I don't see any of those guys heading out to the PNW.

basketballzag
03-31-2015, 06:01 AM
I don't see any of those guys heading out to the PNW.

You didn't see McClellan heading out to the PNW either last year did you? I think they will look for the right fit because they do need a second SG/SF slasher.

cjm720
03-31-2015, 07:21 AM
after bringing in Wesley he said that?

Yep...I took it as being very high and Perks, Alberts, Melson, and Edwards

cjm720
03-31-2015, 07:24 AM

There's info on one of our players...THE MAN will not allow me to comment though LOL

john montana
03-31-2015, 07:39 AM
Wait a minute...I read on GU forums earlier this year that Melson was a potential one and done. So replacing those 30 pts a game should be easy! Just kidding...Melson is going to be a stud, but we do tend to get all worked up about the next big thing we haven't seen. Personally...I like what we have seen. KD.

If a really good transfer falls into our lap, fantastic. But I'm pretty comfortable heading into next year with our big 3 up front (praying all three come back) and KD, Perkins, McClellan and Melson.

gonzagafan62
03-31-2015, 07:42 AM
Wait a minute...I read on GU forums earlier this year that Melson was a potential one and done. So replacing those 30 pts a game should be easy! Just kidding...Melson is going to be a stud, but we do tend to get all worked up about the next big thing we haven't seen. Personally...I like what we have seen. KD.

If a really good transfer falls into our lap, fantastic. But I'm pretty comfortable heading into next year with our big 3 up front (praying all three come back) and KD, Perkins, McClellan and Melson.

I've heard Alberts is pretty good at the 3 too. Lets not forget he will be on the team too. I think he'll be really good.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-31-2015, 09:15 AM
Jonathan Williams III is a guy I've watched a lot at Mizzou. He's 6'8, but is definitely quick enough to play the 3. And he's SO aggressive on the glass. Would be ideal for us, IMO

http://www.missourinet.com/2015/03/31/cbs-reports-j3-considers-leaving-mizzou-news-comes-after-the-coach-who-brought-him-to-missouri-exits-the-program/

gonzagafan62
03-31-2015, 09:19 AM
Jonathan Williams III is a guy I've watched a lot at Mizzou. He's 6'8, but is definitely quick enough to play the 3. And he's SO aggressive on the glass. Would be ideal for us, IMO

http://www.missourinet.com/2015/03/31/cbs-reports-j3-considers-leaving-mizzou-news-comes-after-the-coach-who-brought-him-to-missouri-exits-the-program/

I agree. That kid is great. I would take him in a heartbeat.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-31-2015, 09:22 AM
I agree. That kid is great. I would take him in a heartbeat.

My brother's fraternity at Mizzou has the basketball players over from time to time. I've told him to put in a good word for Gonzaga haha

BobZag
03-31-2015, 09:23 AM
4 open scholies now.

You just KNOW 4 newbies will be coming in, be they high schoolers, jucos, transfers, euros, etc.

gonzagafan62
03-31-2015, 09:37 AM
4 open scholies now.

You just KNOW 4 newbies will be coming in, be they high schoolers, jucos, transfers, euros, etc.

Yup. Right now we have a team that can get to the ncaas. Next is turning this team into a monster. 4 more guys. I can't wait to see the development of this team. Shoot it's already good right now. I can't wait to see it be great

gonzagafan62
03-31-2015, 09:57 AM
My brother's fraternity at Mizzou has the basketball players over from time to time. I've told him to put in a good word for Gonzaga haha

LOL KP. That's awesome.

Kiddwell
03-31-2015, 11:37 AM
LMU is losing Evan Payne, Patson Siame, and Devin Wyatt? Three guys? Payne especially hurts; he can play.

:[

Hoopaholic
03-31-2015, 11:44 AM
4 open scholies now.

ok fill us in....pango, bell and Wesley......who is the 4th open scholarship?

don't let out line, I have swalled the hook, line and sinker just reel me in and tell us

seacatfan
03-31-2015, 11:47 AM
Couple things. I guess it's the same every year, but holy cow that's a long list of transfers. Most of whom I've never heard of and probably won't hear anything about at their next school either. Even Goodman's top 10 list is fairly underwhelming, several of those guys seem like nothing more than role players. I think Evan Payne should've been in the top 10. Marcus Foster from K State is good, I've seen him play several times. Didn't realize he had such a tough year there this year. He's a guy that could actually be a difference maker wherever he ends up.

The other thing, as far as the Zags having 4 open scholies--is it a given they will use all of them? I don't understand why they couldn't just bank some of them for the following year if they can't find players that have a legit chance of being contributors to give them to. I don't want to get back to the recruiting cycle from 5 or 6 years ago where they really reached on a bunch of players and had a mass exodus of guys that washed out over a 2 or 3 year period.

Angelo Roncalli
03-31-2015, 11:47 AM
ok fill us in....pango, bell and Wesley......who is the 4th open scholarship?

don't let out line, I have swalled the hook, line and sinker just reel me in and tell us

There are 13 on scholarship now.

Lose Pangos, Bell, Wesley and Nunez. Thus, 4 open scholarships.

thespywhozaggedme
03-31-2015, 11:49 AM
Yup. Right now we have a team that can get to the ncaas. Next is turning this team into a monster. 4 more guys. I can't wait to see the development of this team. Shoot it's already good right now. I can't wait to see it be great What? If the big 3 bigs return, we literally have the best front court in the nation, not one of the top 10, THE BEST! As is, this team will be a force to rekon with.

zagsfanforlife
Couple things. I guess it's the same every year, but holy cow that's a long list of transfers. Most of whom I've never heard of and probably won't hear anything about at their next school either. Even Goodman's top 10 list is fairly underwhelming, several of those guys seem like nothing more than role players. I think Evan Payne should've been in the top 10. Marcus Foster from K State is good, I've seen him play several times. Didn't realize he had such a tough year there this year. He's a guy that could actually be a difference maker wherever he ends up.

The other thing, as far as the Zags having 4 open scholies--is it a given they will use all of them? I don't understand why they couldn't just bank some of them for the following year if they can't find players that have a legit chance of being contributors to give them to. I don't want to get back to the recruiting cycle from 5 or 6 years ago where they really reached on a bunch of players and had a mass exodus of guys that washed out over a 2 or 3 year period.

Evan Payne should be in the top 10. I know the Iowa State, Wichita State, UCLA, and SDSU want him for starters. The kid is beyond talented and was only held back by a terrible LMU team.

Zagdawg
If we don't fill all 4 -----Maybe give Connor G. one of the rides?

thespywhozaggedme
03-31-2015, 11:50 AM

The other thing, as far as the Zags having 4 open scholies--is it a given they will use all of them? I don't understand why they couldn't just bank some of them for the following year if they can't find players that have a legit chance of being contributors to give them to. I don't want to get back to the recruiting cycle from 5 or 6 years ago where they really reached on a bunch of players and had a mass exodus of guys that washed out over a 2 or 3 year period. If Bob says it is, it is.

seacatfan
03-31-2015, 11:58 AM
Okay, but I really hope we don't end up with a...Poling, Vilarino, Hyland, Keita, Monninghoff etc. type of guy on the roster taking up a scholie for no particular reason.

Hoopaholic
03-31-2015, 12:02 PM
There are 13 on scholarship now.

ahhh Nunez is news to me......too bad

gonzagafan62
03-31-2015, 12:11 PM
Okay, but I really hope we don't end up with a...Poling, Vilarino, Hyland, Keita, Monninghoff etc. type of guy on the roster taking up a scholie for no particular reason.

The first couple are always expirienebtal. It seems as though few has worked out the transfer system. Some of them really don't fit like Coleman or guys like that. Lately we have gotten Nunez, wiltjer and Wesley. I think we have it figured out now. I believe in the staff.

seacatfan
03-31-2015, 12:25 PM
The first couple are always expirienebtal. It seems as though few has worked out the transfer system. Some of them really don't fit like Coleman or guys like that. Lately we have gotten Nunez, wiltjer and Wesley. I think we have it figured out now. I believe in the staff.

Nunez really never found a role. I'll give you Wesley and obviously Wiltjer. Bringing in transfers, sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. But I was talking about offering scholarships to high school players that are too much of a reach and just don't belong at GU. That was my point, you don't have to fill up all of your available scholarships just to have a warm body on the bench. If you can't find a guy that fits, why not just save the scholie for a future player? Of course you need depth as insurance against injuries, but the 11th, 12th and 13th players on scholarship most likely are going to see zero meaningful minutes during the entire course of a season. How necessary are they?

scott257
03-31-2015, 12:38 PM
It seems like most of the speculation about a transfer is that we would be looking at one coming in that could play immediately. It might be the case that the staff would be looking at someone younger that would have to sit a year before they play. If that is the case, wouldn't that open up consideration to more than just our guards? Are there any on the list that might be a good fit to replace Wiltjer when he finishes next year?

gonzagafan62
03-31-2015, 12:59 PM
Nunez really never found a role. I'll give you Wesley and obviously Wiltjer. Bringing in transfers, sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. But I was talking about offering scholarships to high school players that are too much of a reach and just don't belong at GU. That was my point, you don't have to fill up all of your available scholarships just to have a warm body on the bench. If you can't find a guy that fits, why not just save the scholie for a future player? Of course you need depth as insurance against injuries, but the 11th, 12th and 13th players on scholarship most likely are going to see zero meaningful minutes during the entire course of a season. How necessary are they?

Ill give you Nunez didn't really find a good role, but he did eat up some very necessary minutes down the stretch that were keys to success. I do agree with you though.

Zagdawg
03-31-2015, 01:33 PM
It would be nice to have another incoming big who understands the first year is a RS year- for when big K and Kyle leave. Also a 6' 6-7" wing would be great also. You really want to fill out the team as we need guys on the practice squad also- and you never know what might happen with a bit of development (or an early jump to the NBA/Europe).

scrooner
03-31-2015, 02:15 PM
My guess is we score less next year, but defend much better.

jazzdelmar
03-31-2015, 02:25 PM
Solid up front. Could RS a big against the long goodbye. Point is solid. So is the 2 if you pencil KD there as well. The three is iffy. Great to get a legit big time 3, like the Davis kids last year. KD a great role player, just doesn't resonate as a solid starter at SF, imo.

Zag_Dad
03-31-2015, 03:04 PM
Kyle Wiltjer ‏@kwiltj 5m5 minutes ago
Happy for my brother @RemFifteen that he made the right choice and hyped I get to play with him for another year http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2015/3/31/8322827/breaking-rem-bakamus-forgoing-nba-draft-will-return-to-gonzaga-next …

Looks like both Rem and Wiljer will be back next season!

:bishop_smiley:

cggonzaga
03-31-2015, 03:06 PM
My early starting 5 would be Perkins, Melson, Dranginis, Wiltjer and Karno with McClellan filling in the 1-2 spots and Alberts filling in the 2-3 spots. That is a very athletic 1-3. Unless the staff isn't comfortable with Alberts playing significant minutes next year I just don't see the need for a graduate transfer. Fill the empty roster spots with high school or international kids that don't require immediate playing time.

TexasZagFan
03-31-2015, 03:16 PM
Happy for my brother @RemFifteen that he made the right choice and hyped I get to play with him for another year http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2015/3/31/8322827/breaking-rem-bakamus-forgoing-nba-draft-will-return-to-gonzaga-next …

Kyle and Rem should combine for 20+ points a game next year. Kyle can lead the nation in scoring next year.

IdahoZag
03-31-2015, 03:17 PM
My early starting 5 would be Perkins, Melson, Dranginis, Wiltjer and Karno with McClellan filling in the 1-2 spots and Alberts filling in the 2-3 spots. That is a very athletic 1-3. Unless the staff isn't comfortable with Alberts playing significant minutes next year I just don't see the need for a graduate transfer. Fill the empty roster spots with high school or international kids that don't require immediate playing time.

And Sabonis?

Zag 77
03-31-2015, 03:21 PM

Where did that come from? Is he becoming a graduate transfer or leaving for a lower division school? Has he actually made an announcement?

sittingon50
03-31-2015, 03:23 PM
Kyle and Rem should combine for 20+ points a game next year. Kyle can lead the nation in scoring next year.

Kyle might get recruited over. Rem's spot seems pretty safe, however.

Hoopaholic
03-31-2015, 03:29 PM
Happy for my brother @RemFifteen that he made the right choice and hyped I get to play with him for another year http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2015/3/31/8322827/breaking-rem-bakamus-forgoing-nba-draft-will-return-to-gonzaga-next

wow.....love it

BobZag
03-31-2015, 03:30 PM
Where did that come from? Is he becoming a graduate transfer or leaving for a lower division school? Has he actually made an announcement?

News came out last night or this morning. He'll be a graduate transfer.

kclubfounder
03-31-2015, 04:06 PM
All I know is that if I'm a stud 1,2, or 3 from a good but not great team, and I am eligible to transfer and play my final year, and being on the best team possible is a major part of the equation, then I'm going to Gonzaga. As I say over and over again to my Zag friends from the '80s, who could have EVER dreamed this would be the case. Unreal.

spike_jr
03-31-2015, 04:41 PM
All I know is that if I'm a stud 1,2, or 3 from a good but not great team, and I am eligible to transfer and play my final year, and being on the best team possible is a major part of the equation, then I'm going to Gonzaga. As I say over and over again to my Zag friends from the '80s, who could have EVER dreamed this would be the case. Unreal.

I would agree except for the 1, unless you plan on either Perkins getting kicked in the face again or you are ok riding pine behind him. He will be the starter and log serious minutes short of injury. And you had better be better than EM.

kclubfounder
03-31-2015, 04:48 PM
I would agree except for the 1, unless you plan on either Perkins getting kicked in the face again or you are ok riding pine behind him. He will be the starter and log serious minutes short of injury. And you had better be better than EM.

1,2, & 3 are designations that are kind of outdated, but I'm old school and still use them. Bottom line, if you are NOT a big man, and you are a stud, and you want to be a part of a great team in your final season, then you should want to go to Gonzaga. We do NOT need any more big men, but we could certainly use a couple more players for this upcoming season.

DixieZag
03-31-2015, 05:37 PM
Are any others worried that our current highly talented players will feel recruited over if we bring in a bunch of immediately eligible transfers?

Perkins
Drainginis
EMac
Melson
Alberts

All for maybe 2 spots on the floor? (Assuming Kyle/Domas/Shem spend a lot of minutes on the floor at the same time?)

If we brought in a stud wing, I guess he could back up the three, but I hope that is backing up Wiltjer. I just can't see how KW, DS, PK don't all start and get the most minutes of anyone but Perkins.

If we brough

Stache
04-01-2015, 04:41 AM
Some strengths next year become a little light next April. At the 3, KD and EM leave. PK and KW have one year left, and Sabonis is making news with NBA scouts. In a worst case scenario, all three leave after next year. Zach Collins looks like a stud, and I don't have enough data to have an opinion on Ryan. Seems like a few scollies need to go to the 3's and 4's of the future.

A buddy from Seattle noted that we have great skill players, but Michigan State, a team that always achieves in March, always has 1-2 PF types who would run over their grandmother for a rebound and they have the hops to dominate the player they are guarding. We need that guy for the FF. I think the Bonus is one of those guys. I have never recruited a day in my life, but offering Scholarships to a few young men who are highly regarded athletes, who are 6-6 to 6-9, who want to practice on a FF caliber team next year, and who want to move up to playing beside Perkins, Melson, Alberts, and Sabonis in 2016-17 seems like a good pitch to throw....

WallaWallaZag
04-01-2015, 05:56 AM
A buddy from Seattle noted that we have great skill players, but Michigan State, a team that always achieves in March, always has 1-2 PF types who would run over their grandmother for a rebound and they have the hops to dominate the player they are guarding. We need that guy for the FF. I think the Bonus is one of those guys.

sabonis doesn't have great hops but i could definitely see him running over his grandma for a rebound...zags post d is good enough for a ff run...perimeter d next year has potential to be better.

Robzagnut
04-01-2015, 05:57 AM
I can see GU getting a transfer or two who have to sit out a year and then crack the lineup once Wiltjer, Draino and Karno are gone. I don't see a grad student coming in a getting much playing time as the lineup looks set and Few usually only plays 8, and GU already has 9 potential players who will see the floor.

Perkins
Melson
Draino
Wiltjer
Karno

Sabonis
Mac
Alberts
Edwards

Not a lot of playing time next year, but quite a bit the following year. If this whole lineup returns next year I can see them starting in a Top 5 ranking at the beginning of the year.

GonzagasaurusFlex
04-01-2015, 07:36 AM
I can see GU getting a transfer or two who have to sit out a year and then crack the lineup once Wiltjer, Draino and Karno are gone. I don't see a grad student coming in a getting much playing time as the lineup looks set and Few usually only plays 8, and GU already has 9 potential players who will see the floor.

Perkins
Melson
Draino
Wiltjer
Karno

Sabonis
Mac
Alberts
Edwards

Not a lot of playing time next year, but quite a bit the following year. If this whole lineup returns next year I can see them starting in a Top 5 ranking at the beginning of the year.

Exactly. Zags need to bring in some underclass transfers/freshmen this year so the cupboard is not completely bare once KW, KD, EMc and PK move on after next season, but not at the expense of anyone's minutes currently on the team.

Perkins and Melson deserve heavy minutes at the 1 and 2 next year because 1) they are at least as talented as any young guards this program has ever brought in and 1a) they need the experience. I for one have enough confidence in JP and SM to rely heavily on them next year rather than open the door to a graduate transfer guard.

WallaWallaZag
04-01-2015, 08:03 AM
Perkins and Melson deserve heavy minutes at the 1 and 2 next year because 1) they are at least as talented as any young guards this program has ever brought in and 1a) they need the experience. I for one have enough confidence in JP and SM to rely heavily on them next year rather than open the door to a graduate transfer guard.

no offense, but if all 3 bigs return i risk a transfer out if i can get a big-time experienced scorer at the wing...as it looks now, zags are going to be in contention for many years into the future, but don't take anything for granted...no way of knowing if an incoming player might be the difference between a ss or a ff if you don't bring them in. bird in the hand is worth two in the bush or whatever...

gonzagafan62
04-01-2015, 08:44 AM
no offense, but if all 3 bigs return i risk a transfer out if i can get a big-time experienced scorer at the wing...as it looks now, zags are going to be in contention for many years into the future, but don't take anything for granted...no way of knowing if an incoming player might be the difference between a ss or a ff if you don't bring them in. bird in the hand is worth two in the bush or whatever...

Exactly.

HenneZag
04-01-2015, 09:09 AM
According to Few with the early season chatter, Melson was a guy with the most potential as far as NBA type talent. I guess I expected more when I saw him play.

With that said, Few didn't ask Melson to go out there and attack, i'm sure he asked Melson to go out there and provide solid minutes, play defense, don't risk any mistakes etc. and it showed. Next year however I think we see a different player, we really have no choice, he and Perkins will be asked to provide offense. I am very excited about our guards next year, a different flavor from the past few years, more athletic attacking style guards.

Not sure where I was going with my comment. I guess I can see us getting a transfer if we can get an absolute stud, but I have great confidence in Jenks/Melson/KD/EM/BA. All of these guys are athletic and bigger guards. Not taking anything away from Pangos and Bell as those two accomplished more than any other tandem in history for GU, i'm just excited about the next crop and how they take it to the next level, hopefully.

Mr Vulture
04-01-2015, 09:16 AM
The Melson chatter about NBA potential was actually Fran Franschilla, not Coach Few. In any case, if we can bring in a player that improves our chances for next season, I have no issue doing so. I think we have minutes available at the Wing position and even possibly at the guard position. As much as I love the "potential" of our young guys...we really don't know if we will get the production needed next season out of Melson, Alberts, or Perkins. I would imagine that we Perkins is very good next year and I also expect Melson to take a step forward. In a couple of years, Alberts may be the steal of the class as well. I just don't think you go into a season banking completely on potential in the backcourt/perimeter.

HenneZag
04-01-2015, 09:24 AM
The Melson chatter about NBA potential was actually Fran Franschilla, not Coach Few. In any case, if we can bring in a player that improves our chances for next season, I have no issue doing so. I think we have minutes available at the Wing position and even possibly at the guard position. As much as I love the "potential" of our young guys...we really don't know if we will get the production needed next season out of Melson, Alberts, or Perkins. I would imagine that we Perkins is very good next year and I also expect Melson to take a step forward. In a couple of years, Alberts may be the steal of the class as well. I just don't think you go into a season banking completely on potential in the backcourt/perimeter.

I stand corrected.

True it would be nice to snag a player that has proven himself with good competition. On the other side i'm sure the coaches see what these players do during practice as far as development, how that translates during games or other competition is yet to be seen. Anyhow i'm excited for next year already.

Reborn
04-01-2015, 09:31 AM
IMO Wesley is going to be the hardest to replace. He was the three we missed for so many years. He was the kind of player that could both defend and score against elite teams. If Few plans on starting Wiltjer at the 3 then there would not be any need for him to recruit a 3 like Wesley. If there is a small forward who is going to transfer out there like McClellan who was willing to play a back-up role his first year and then maybe start his senior year, then I could see Few recruiting him. Gonzaga does have a very good 3 right now in their stable, Kyle Dranginis. He does seem to me to cut in the same mold as Wesley. He's the same size, can rebound, defend, and dribble drive to the hoop and score, and IS a better shooter then Wesley. The hesitation that I have with Kyle is I wonder if he wants to be a scorer. Kyle has played a back-up role for so long, I wonder if he can take on the mentality of a scorer. If Kyle can begin to find consistency in his 3 point shooting, then he could see more playing time then he got this year.

I think Gu is also pretty set and the one and two. Melson is a scorer. Believe me. He just needs some grooming, which he got some this year. I remember a young guard named Derrek Raivio who played about as Melson did his freshman year. He was a back-up guard. We didn't see too much from Raivio that year, but he really began to show us who he was his Sophomore year.

If Gonzaga is lucky enough to get an elite transfer I think he would need to be more in the mold of Kyle Wiltjer or Erik McClellan, who sat out their first year and then became a starter or significant back-up their final two years at Gonzaga. Gonzaga had a need for someone like Wesley this year, but I really don't see that need for next year.

WallaWallaZag
04-01-2015, 09:36 AM
we've seen very limited sample sizes for the entire backcourt aside from dranginis...the coaches have seen them all year in practice...if they feel a need to add, then there's probably a need to add...the type of player they bring in will most likely tell the story.

of the bunch, perkins was the most sure thing coming in...20 mins/game right off the bat as a true freshman on a top 10 team says it all...but who knows now...what if the injury has made him so gun-shy he's scared to ever attack the rim again? stranger things have happened...andy poling was once considered a top 25 recruit.

Bogozags
04-01-2015, 03:17 PM
Do we know if GU has any interest in Damion Lee from Drexel? He is 6'6" this past season, Lee averaged 21.4 points and 6.1 rebounds while shooting 38.5 percent from 3-point range and 88.7 percent from the free throw line.

seacatfan
04-01-2015, 03:31 PM
Do we know if GU has any interest in Damion Lee from Drexel? He is 6'6" this past season, Lee averaged 21.4 points and 6.1 rebounds while shooting 38.5 percent from 3-point range and 88.7 percent from the free throw line.

The buzz seems to be that he is Maryland bound, so could be too late to try to make a run at him already.

gonzagafan62
04-01-2015, 03:31 PM

They may have interest but looks lik he's Maryland bound

Mantua
04-01-2015, 04:11 PM
1,2, & 3 are designations that are kind of outdated, but I'm old school and still use them. Bottom line, if you are NOT a big man, and you are a stud, and you want to be a part of a great team in your final season, then you should want to go to Gonzaga. We do NOT need any more big men, but we could certainly use a couple more players for this upcoming season.

There's always a place for an agile athletic big. I'm waiting for a LeBron to show up at GU.

Zagdawg
04-08-2015, 06:37 PM
jeffborzello Jeff Borzello
List for Gonzaga transfer Angel Nunez: Texas Southern, St. John's, South Florida, Towson, UMKC, Cal State Northridge, Nevada.

WallaWallaZag
04-08-2015, 11:31 PM
jeffborzello Jeff Borzello
List for Gonzaga transfer Angel Nunez: Texas Southern, St. John's, South Florida, Towson, UMKC, Cal State Northridge, Nevada.

he's a nyc area kid and sju is building some excitement with the mullins hiring...not sure he would get to be the man there but probably quite a bit of playing time available with the graduating class.

cjm720
04-09-2015, 05:55 AM
How's Angel eligible for another D1 transfer?

Bouldin4Prez
04-09-2015, 06:20 AM

You can transfer as much as you want. But after you burn your redshirt, the year sitting out takes away a year of eligibility. In Angel's case, he doesn't have to sit out a year due to the graduate transfer rule, making him eligible immediately.

gonzagafan62
04-09-2015, 06:32 AM

Yeah the problem with Gerard Coleman was that he didn't graduate, so he had to go to the NAIA or lower division level. That's why he couldn't do a division I transfer if he still wanted to play.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
04-09-2015, 06:49 AM
We STILL haven't heard anything official on Angel, correct?

phxfireflames
04-09-2015, 07:20 AM
Really thought that Nigel Williams-Goss would have gone pro instead of transferring.

Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS 27 minutes ago
Washington point guard Nigel Williams-Goss informs me he is transferring. Already has gotten his release.

7:51 AM - 9 Apr 2015 Details

CDC84
04-09-2015, 07:22 AM
I doubt that you will see Gonzaga put out an official press release, but when reputable college basketball writers start tweeting and re-tweeting about Nunez's school list, it's as good as official......

https://twitter.com/SRJimm/status/585846564070952960

DixieZag
04-09-2015, 07:26 AM
I doubt that you will see Gonzaga put out an official press release, but when reputable college basketball writers start tweeting and re-tweeting about Nunez's school list, it's as good as official......

https://twitter.com/SRJimm/status/585846564070952960

Well, he certainly played well against Texas Southern. St. John's is right in his neighborhood but he's going to check out the playing time issue as much as anything, I would think. South Florida might be interesting.

CDC84
04-09-2015, 07:29 AM
if Nigel Williams-Goss ever wants to effectively play at the next level, he's going to have to shoot better than 25.6% from the 3 pt. line.

TheGonzagaFactor
04-09-2015, 07:30 AM
Really thought that Nigel Williams-Goss would have gone pro instead of transferring.

Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS 27 minutes ago
Washington point guard Nigel Williams-Goss informs me he is transferring. Already has gotten his release.

7:51 AM - 9 Apr 2015 Details

Just think, a sophomore who averaged over 15 PPG and led the PAC in assists is willing to sit out a year to get away from UW based on a lack of cohesion with the team.

I'm not even joking... what would it take for Romar to get fired?

TheGonzagaFactor
04-09-2015, 07:31 AM
if Nigel Williams-Goss ever wants to effectively play at the next level, he's going to have to shoot better than 25.6% from the 3 pt. line.

That's probably why he's transferring and sitting out a year rather than declaring

gonzagafan62
04-09-2015, 07:44 AM
We STILL haven't heard anything official on Angel, correct?

We stated something on one of these threads, that he has a list of 5 teams to transfer too. Ill try to find it.

EDIT: jeffborzello Jeff Borzello

DOUBLE EDIT: This sounds official to me.

nish_mode
04-09-2015, 09:00 AM
Nigel Willliams Goss and transferring from UW

Darin Johnson might transfer from UW.

Shaquan Aaron transferring from Louisville. Looking into Oregon and UW.

cjm720
04-09-2015, 09:36 AM
You can transfer as much as you want. But after you burn your redshirt, the year sitting out takes away a year of eligibility. In Angel's case, he doesn't have to sit out a year due to the graduate transfer rule, making him eligible immediately.

got it, gracias

basketballzag
04-09-2015, 09:44 AM
Nigel Willliams Goss and transferring from UW

Darin Johnson might transfer from UW.

UW's biggest loss was the announcement that T.J Otzelberger resigned and took a lateral position with Iowa State. He was the recruiting arm that helped land UW's 2015 class. I strongly suspect that Darin Johnson will transfer and don't be surprised if Donovan Dorsey also makes an exit. If Johnson & Dorsey bolt then Romar will be fired before the end of April. Don't be surprised if NWG's father may have reached out to Gonzaga about taking the KO & KW plan for his son.

seacatfan
04-09-2015, 09:45 AM
Just think, a sophomore who averaged over 15 PPG and led the PAC in assists is willing to sit out a year to get away from UW based on a lack of cohesion with the team.

I'm not even joking... what would it take for Romar to get fired?

Just speculation on my part, but I think he has one more year to turn things around or he's gone. They have a highly ranked recruiting class coming in. Seems like coaches on the hot seat always get a pass in cases like this. You don't want to risk losing any of those kids with a coaching change. Of course losing their best player and PG isn't going to help the cause next season.

seacatfan
04-09-2015, 09:48 AM

I saw Louisville fans joking around on a message board that Aaron might not get back on the plane after they played their opening round games in the Tourney in Seattle. He was highly touted but didn't get much playing time his Fr. year.

CDC84
04-09-2015, 09:49 AM
The problem with firing Romar right now is that it would require a huge buy out. He's signed through 2020. UW would have to cough up close to 10 million.

nish_mode
04-09-2015, 09:58 AM
Other Seattle area/rotary/FOH kids on the move:

Tramaine Isabell will likely leave Missouri.

Josh Martin leaving Minnesota.

basketballzag
04-09-2015, 10:00 AM
The problem with firing Romar right now is that it would require a huge buy out. He's signed through 2020. UW would have to cough up close to 10 million.

For Gonzaga's sake I hope Romar stays there until 2020 as he is doing a hell of a job.

Now hearing smoke that Jenard Jarreau, Andrew Andrews, Darin Johnson, Malik Dime, Q. Winters, and Donovan Dorsey are all in process of transferring out or seriously on edge of leaving. If this is true talk about a wholesale exodus UW will become the Grambling State of basketball departures. :lmao:

seacatfan
04-09-2015, 10:28 AM
For Gonzaga's sake I hope Romar stays there until 2020 as he is doing a hell of a job.

Now hearing smoke that Jenard Jarreau, Andrew Andrews, Darin Johnson, and Donovan Dorsey are in process of transferring out. If this is true talk about a wholesale exodus UW will become the Grambling State of basketball departures. :lmao:

Seriously? If true that's almost the whole team. Maybe if the majority of the roster transfers out then Romar will have to go, expensive buy out and ballyhooed recruiting class be darned.

basketballzag
04-09-2015, 10:46 AM
This is the word coming out of the UW camp right now while they vociferously attempt to minimize the damage being done right now. Winters & Dime were close with Otzelberger and he was the only reason they signed. Even the talking UW media homers are starting to leak this information out.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
04-09-2015, 10:51 AM
Other Seattle area/rotary/FOH kids on the move:

Tramaine Isabell will likely leave Missouri.

Don't think so. Tramaine IS good friends with GBJ, though. http://www.rockmnation.com/2015/4/7/8360175/tramaine-isabell-putting-transfer-rumors-to-bed

zagfan1
04-09-2015, 11:50 AM
I think if I was few I would bring in additional players to hedge against declines in performance from Melson, McClellan, and Alberts. Kyle is best off the bench. Wesley made Kyle better. I love the front court and Perkins.

cjm720
04-09-2015, 11:50 AM
This is the word coming out of the UW camp right now while they vociferously attempt to minimize the damage being done right now. Winters & Dime were close with Otzelberger and he was the only reason they signed. Even the talking UW media homers are starting to leak this information out.

Get your popcorn ready...this will be highly entertaining.

DixieZag
04-09-2015, 12:28 PM
UW's biggest loss was the announcement that T.J Otzelberger resigned and took a lateral position with Iowa State. He was the recruiting arm that helped land UW's 2015 class. I strongly suspect that Darin Johnson will transfer and don't be surprised if Donovan Dorsey also makes an exit. If Johnson & Dorsey bolt then Romar will be fired before the end of April. Don't be surprised if NWG's father may have reached out to Gonzaga about taking the KO & KW plan for his son.

Interesting. Thx for the info.

Quite the plot for the very early off-season. More and more, college basketball looks like the NFL, in that there really is not "off season" - just different functions in the same program.

Is Donovan Dorsey the British Columbia kid? Wait a minute, I'll look it up :)

And, my unrivaled research skills led to:

Timberline HS - As a senior, was ranked No. 56 nationally amongst small forwards by ESPN.com ... was also the third-highest prospect out of Washington ... averaged 18.6 points as a senior over 13 games while putting up 18.4 point a game as a junior at Timberline High School ... is a versatile 6-7 wing that helped Timberline advance to the state playoffs in both 2012-13 and 2013-14.

Year GP-GS FG-FGA (%) 3PT-3PTA (%) FT-FTA (%) RB-Avg AST-TO PTS/GM
2014-15 28-8 34-100 (.340) 30-89 (.337) 9-15 (.600) 47-1.7 7-12 3.8

DixieZag
04-09-2015, 12:31 PM

That is a whole lot of money, for any school.

But, here is a question, not a challenge, at all.

Could it be argued that finding an effective coach might make the move a net positive, if one was able to get them back to tournaments, near the top of the Pac, because of increased ticket sales, TV, merchandise, even camps and all that?

And, even if it isn't, that is one rich athletic department, especially now that football turned around. Perhaps they'd likely do it anyway?

It is fascinating to watch, and I suspect the AD is very happy that the football team's fortunes look good, otherwise the AD's fortunes might not look so good.

cjm720
04-09-2015, 12:41 PM
Interesting. Thx for the info.

Quite the plot for the very early off-season. More and more, college basketball looks like the NFL, in that there really is not "off season" - just different functions in the same program.

Is Donovan Dorsey the British Columbia kid? Wait a minute, I'll look it up :)

And, my unrivaled research skills led to:

Year GP-GS FG-FGA (%) 3PT-3PTA (%) FT-FTA (%) RB-Avg AST-TO PTS/GM
2014-15 28-8 34-100 (.340) 30-89 (.337) 9-15 (.600) 47-1.7 7-12 3.8

You're thinking of Jermaine Haley...2016. Last I recall, he decomitted to UW

basketballzag
04-09-2015, 02:54 PM
http://bustingbrackets.com/2015/04/09/washington-huskies-nigel-williams-goss-to-transfer-out/

"Williams-Goss will be the second high-profile guard in as many years to transfer out of a Pac-12 university with USC’s Byron Wesley transferring to Gonzaga the year before. Much like Wesley, Williams-Goss is most likely looking for a location where he will be in the best position to both showcase his talent and compete for a chance to play in the NCAA Tournament.

It would not be surprising to see Williams-Goss follow Wesley’s path to Spokane, Washington, as senior Kevin Pangos will be graduating at the end of this year, leaving a need at the point guard position for Mark Few. Only time will tell where he will go, but look for him to make an impact wherever it is."

I concur with the Sports Illustrated writers prediction here with NWG. If he comes to Gonzaga don't fall into the trap where he is deemed a trouble maker and malcontent on the UW team because it is not accurate. Remember they did the same hit piece on Byron Wesley at USC when he left for Gonzaga to justify his departure. And don't think for a New York second that NGW hasn't made a phone call or two to Byron Wesley either.

cjm720
04-09-2015, 03:04 PM
Would be tough to pass on a player like WG....

CDC84
04-09-2015, 03:26 PM
Where is NWG going to play at GU? He has to sit out a year, and by the time he becomes eligible, Perkins will be a redshirt sophomore with a full year of experience as GU's starting PG. Josh is likely to be really special by that juncture.

I don't know if GU is the best place for NWG to "showcase" his talents. Maybe as a combo-like 2 guard, but he would need to develop an outside shot.

CDC84
04-09-2015, 03:36 PM
http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-basketball/reports-nigel-williams-goss-transferring-from-washington/

UNLV and Arkansas are two teams supposedly interested in NWG.

hondo
04-09-2015, 04:07 PM
I would rather we have a team than a showcase.

seacatfan
04-09-2015, 04:11 PM
http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-basketball/reports-nigel-williams-goss-transferring-from-washington/

UNLV and Arkansas are two teams supposedly interested in NWG.

If he wants a guarantee of getting invited to The Dance, why is UNLV on the list? Dave Rice is leading them downhill fast. Even with talented players he's done nothing there.

VinnyZag
04-09-2015, 07:41 PM
http://bustingbrackets.com/2015/04/09/washington-huskies-nigel-williams-goss-to-transfer-out/

"Williams-Goss will be the second high-profile guard in as many years to transfer out of a Pac-12 university with USC’s Byron Wesley transferring to Gonzaga the year before. Much like Wesley, Williams-Goss is most likely looking for a location where he will be in the best position to both showcase his talent and compete for a chance to play in the NCAA Tournament.

It would not be surprising to see Williams-Goss follow Wesley’s path to Spokane, Washington, as senior Kevin Pangos will be graduating at the end of this year, leaving a need at the point guard position for Mark Few. Only time will tell where he will go, but look for him to make an impact wherever it is."

I concur with the Sports Illustrated writers prediction here with NWG. If he comes to Gonzaga don't fall into the trap where he is deemed a trouble maker and malcontent on the UW team because it is not accurate. Remember they did the same hit piece on Byron Wesley at USC when he left for Gonzaga to justify his departure. And don't think for a New York second that NGW hasn't made a phone call or two to Byron Wesley either.

The FanSided guy offered no sources. He's just speculating, based on 1) Washington and Gonzaga are near each other and 2) Another Pac-12 guard transferred to GU. I wouldn't give that speculation much credence if I were you.

Marcus
04-09-2015, 08:08 PM
The FanSided guy offered no sources. He's just speculating, based on 1) Washington and Gonzaga are near each other and 2) Another Pac-12 guard transferred to GU. I wouldn't give that speculation much credence if I were you.

Agreed, it is just a whole lot of speculation. It is the writer who said he, Williams-Goss, is most likely looking for a place to showcase his talents. The same goes for the chance at the tournament comment.

Having said that, if he is interested in GU, why not take him on. I know Perkins is expected to be the man but what is wrong with competition? And having this kind of talent to push eachother in practice would be awesome.

Also, injuries do happen. You can never have enough talent to back up your talent.

Section 116
04-09-2015, 08:11 PM
VCU signee Jordan Murphy receives a release from his National Letter of Intent and lists the Zags among schools of interest:

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/09/two-vcu-signees-receive-release-from-national-letter-of-intent/

Timspo14
04-09-2015, 08:23 PM
Agreed, it is just a whole lot of speculation. It is the writer who said he, Williams-Goss, is most likely looking for a place to showcase his talents. The same goes for the chance at the tournament comment.

Having said that, if he is interested in GU, why not take him on. I know Perkins is expected to be the man but what is wrong with competition? And having this kind of talent to push eachother in practice would be awesome.

Also, injuries do happen. You can never have enough talent to back up your talent.

He won't land at Gonzaga. For certain. And that's OK.

Edit to say: I don't think I'm really going out on a limb here, btw.

CDC84
04-09-2015, 08:32 PM
He won't land at Gonzaga. For certain. And that's OK.

Edit to say: I don't think I'm really going out on a limb here, btw.

This. The kid is going to want to play for a school that has a clear opening at their PG spot for the 2016/2017 season.

ZagaZags
04-09-2015, 08:37 PM
This. The kid is going to want to play for a school that has a clear opening at their PG spot for the 2016/2017 season.

+ 1,000,000,000,000,000,000, GU has Josh. The Zags will still need a backup for 2016.

CDC84
04-09-2015, 08:39 PM
A graduate transfer would ideal to bridge the gap until Jesse Wade comes on board.

ZagaZags
04-09-2015, 08:44 PM
Josh Perkins is THE starting PG for the next 4 years. We are so lucky to have an awesome replacement for Kevin.

Zag 77
04-09-2015, 08:49 PM
Maybe it is less true than it was 40 years ago, but at UW, Football is #1. An old UW Tyee Club guy once explained it this way: "All we ask of basketball is to mostly be respectable and not finish last. If they go to the NCAA Tournament, that is a bonus." They really don't care about Romar that much unless he gets caught red-handed robbing a bank, and maybe not even then.

Basketball is something to pass the time between bowl season and Spring Football.

gonzagafan62
04-10-2015, 04:47 AM
VCU signee Jordan Murphy receives a release from his National Letter of Intent and lists the Zags among schools of interest:

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/09/two-vcu-signees-receive-release-from-national-letter-of-intent/

We need this guy

cjm720
04-10-2015, 06:02 AM
We need this guy

Agreed...our future big wing!

JPtheBeasta
04-10-2015, 06:03 AM
I would rather we have a team than a showcase.

+1

I like the guys we have. I think we have a solid (albeit young) backcourt next year, and a transfer would more likely be bench depth, a la McClellan. Maybe a lights out back-up shooting guard, or an athletic shut-down defender type guy would be a nice addition, but I'm thinking role player, not major player.

ETA: I was thinking one-and-done transfers. If this VCU player has 4 years of eligibility, why not?

thespywhozaggedme
04-10-2015, 06:25 AM
Haley, Jermaine Haley. And Musso as a combo guard.
+ 1,000,000,000,000,000,000, GU has Josh. The Zags will still need a backup for 2016.

zagfan07
04-10-2015, 07:32 AM

Seems to fit the mold of what we're looking for. Long, athletic, can guard the wing position. Sign him up!

From ESPN http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/evaluation/_/id/190310/jordan-murphy:

ESPN Analyst
Updated 04/09/2015
Strengths:
Murphy is a long and athletic forward that excels in transition where he is capable of rebounding and taking the ball coast to coast and finish above the rim or with either hand. He is also a good straight line slasher and his rim dribble jumpers and threes off the catch with needed time and space. Murphy can score and is a pretty good rebounder as well. Defensively Murphy is a capable of defending both wing positions and even some smaller power forwards.

Weaknesses:
Murphy will need to continue to add strength and work on his ball handling when under intense pressure and to make his jumper a more consistent weapon behind the arc. We think he could be a more of a factor on the glass as well given his athletic ability. Overall consistency should be improved as well.

Bottom Line:
Murphy is a mid major plus forward with great upside. He is an athletic and smooth scorer that is a multiple position defender as well that is loaded with potential.

cjm720
04-10-2015, 08:36 AM
Seems to fit the mold of what we're looking for. Long, athletic, can guard the wing position. Sign him up!

From ESPN http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/evaluation/_/id/190310/jordan-murphy:

ESPN Analyst
Updated 04/09/2015
Strengths:
Murphy is a long and athletic forward that excels in transition where he is capable of rebounding and taking the ball coast to coast and finish above the rim or with either hand. He is also a good straight line slasher and his rim dribble jumpers and threes off the catch with needed time and space. Murphy can score and is a pretty good rebounder as well. Defensively Murphy is a capable of defending both wing positions and even some smaller power forwards.

Weaknesses:
Murphy will need to continue to add strength and work on his ball handling when under intense pressure and to make his jumper a more consistent weapon behind the arc. We think he could be a more of a factor on the glass as well given his athletic ability. Overall consistency should be improved as well.

Bottom Line:
Murphy is a mid major plus forward with great upside. He is an athletic and smooth scorer that is a multiple position defender as well that is loaded with potential.

With his offer list and a top 10 recruit in Texas (not sure if that is by position or all) plus sounds like he was a finalist to make the All-American team too...sure seems much higher than a mid major prospect!

Kalvinmj34
04-10-2015, 08:58 AM

I tend to agree but having Ablert's as the only back up to Dranginis at the SF or 3 spot makes me a bit nervous. Alberts is a bit of an unknown so far. However, with adding another senior 3 guard that would mean both the newcomer and Dranginis would be gone next year with only Alberts to fill the spot with limited experience also isnt ideal. Either way I have confidence in the staff to put together a quality squad.

TheGonzagaFactor
04-10-2015, 11:06 AM

Our staff seems to have good ability in judging character and how someone will fit into the system. However, we LUCKED OUT that Wesley and Wiltjer both not only fit in on the court, but fit in with the team socially as well. Both could have come in and thought they were better than everyone and alienated themselves from the team like many transfers do, but they didn't. I don't know why you listed Nunez as evidence that we've figured out the transfer market, he didn't show an ounce of understanding in the offense and spent a lot of 2013-14 trying to go 1 on 5. I'd say he worked out as a lot of transfers do--not necessarily good or bad, just never found his place because there wasn't one for him.

We will get more Wesleys that work and more Colemans that just aren't very good. We will have years that we need a position filled so badly that we will be more willing to take a gamble.

I wouldn't say we have it "figured out" because we got 2 great transfers in one year. We just got extremely lucky that we needed Wiltjer/Wesley as badly as they needed us. It's rare a transfer works out as well as either of them did, much less at the same school in the same season.

TheGonzagaFactor
04-10-2015, 11:08 AM
A graduate transfer would ideal to bridge the gap until Jesse Wade comes on board.

How can we talk about bridging the gap between two players when the first one still has 4 years left?

seacatfan
04-10-2015, 11:13 AM
Maybe it is less true than it was 40 years ago, but at UW, Football is #1. An old UW Tyee Club guy once explained it this way: "All we ask of basketball is to mostly be respectable and not finish last. If they go to the NCAA Tournament, that is a bonus." They really don't care about Romar that much unless he gets caught red-handed robbing a bank, and maybe not even then.

Basketball is something to pass the time between bowl season and Spring Football.

Plenty of Husky fans got interested in basketball when they were competing for Pac titles, going to the Tourney...and the football team was absolutely horrid. Everybody loves a winner. You can pretty much track the fortunes of the bball team by looking at attendance figures.

jagwalkley
04-10-2015, 11:39 AM
amen

SLOZag
04-10-2015, 02:55 PM
Extensive interview with Nigel Williams-Goss:

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-basketball/nigel-williams-goss-explains-why-hes-leaving-washington/

Interesting snippet: "Williams-Goss figures to be one of the most sought-after players during the offseason. Hes drawn interest from Gonzaga, Texas, UNLV, Michigan State, Georgetown, Arkansas and Providence."

SLOZag
04-10-2015, 02:59 PM
More on Nigel Williams-Goss:

"Williams-Goss said he’d narrowed his choices for a new school to UNLV, Texas, Georgetown, Michigan State, Arkansas and Gonzaga."

http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlesports/2015/04/10/nigel-williams-goss-two-others-leaving-washington-huskies-basketball-program/#32062101=0

CDC84
04-10-2015, 03:22 PM
How can we talk about bridging the gap between two players when the first one still has 4 years left?

Didn't make myself clear. In 2015/16, Perkins and EMac will be your point guards. But once EMac leaves, there's going to be a need to get a backup PG for a year until Wade arrives. Hence, a graduate transfer to bridge the gap.

seacatfan
04-10-2015, 04:04 PM
Again, I'm just not getting UNLV. They've been to the Tourney semi-regularly dating back to their previous coach Kruger, but they are clearly trending downward and Rice is one of the worst coaches in D1, obvious to anyone that is paying attention. Williams-Goss is a supposedly smart kid, but I see zero benefit for him if he left UW to go to UNLV.

soccerdud
04-10-2015, 04:13 PM
Again, I'm just not getting UNLV. They've been to the Tourney semi-regularly dating back to their previous coach Kruger, but they are clearly trending downward and Rice is one of the worst coaches in D1, obvious to anyone that is paying attention. Williams-Goss is a supposedly smart kid, but I see zero benefit for him if he left UW to go to UNLV.

tells you all you need to know about UW.

BobZag
04-10-2015, 05:17 PM
I'd take NWG for the 2016-17 season in a heartbeat.

ZagLawGrad
04-10-2015, 05:33 PM

Count me in.

Zag365
04-10-2015, 06:34 PM

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-basketball/nigel-williams-goss-explains-why-hes-leaving-washington/

Interesting snippet: "Williams-Goss figures to be one of the most sought-after players during the offseason. Hes drawn interest from Gonzaga, Texas, UNLV, Michigan State, Georgetown, Arkansas and Providence."

I heard several minutes of his interview on that otherwise Gonzaga-free sports talk radio station in Seattle. First, he came across as very mature. Good presence. I didn't get any sense of inflated ego or I'm-prime-time. He mentioned (like quote above) that Gonzaga had shown interest. He acted like he was surprised. The host, who is a complete Husky partisan, started pleading with him to not go to Gonzaga. He even asked how NWG could consider going to Gonzaga given that it would make a lot of UW supporters mad (kind of stupid speculation on his part). NWG responded that it was his career and he was going to make the best decision for himself. He mentioned how it worked out for Dickau. He said he is just a year short of graduating so he wants to use the year to basically finish his undergrad degree and work on conditioning. In all respects, it felt like a compatible fit from a personality and attitude standpoint. I guess we'll see if coaches and he are on the same page as far as the basketball part.

FuManShoes
04-10-2015, 07:53 PM

Interesting snippet: "Williams-Goss figures to be one of the most sought-after players during the offseason. He’s drawn interest from Gonzaga, Texas, UNLV, Michigan State, Georgetown, Arkansas and Providence."

Perhaps the more pertinent part of that interview: "I’m not going to go anywhere that my role will be diminished or anything like that.”

VinnyZag
04-10-2015, 09:31 PM
I heard several minutes of his interview on that otherwise Gonzaga-free sports talk radio station in Seattle. First, he came across as very mature. Good presence. I didn't get any sense of inflated ego or I'm-prime-time. He mentioned (like quote above) that Gonzaga had shown interest. He acted like he was surprised. The host, who is a complete Husky partisan, started pleading with him to not go to Gonzaga. He even asked how NWG could consider going to Gonzaga given that it would make a lot of UW supporters mad (kind of stupid speculation on his part). NWG responded that it was his career and he was going to make the best decision for himself. He mentioned how it worked out for Dickau. He said he is just a year short of graduating so he wants to use the year to basically finish his undergrad degree and work on conditioning. In all respects, it felt like a compatible fit from a personality and attitude standpoint. I guess we'll see if coaches and he are on the same page as far as the basketball part.

I heard the same interview and was equally impressed with Williams-Goss.

Williams-Goss said "Gonzaga has reached out" to him, so I guess that IS a thing. GU recruited him out of high school, if I recall correctly, so I guess it shouldn't be a surprise.

But I just don't get how he'd fit at GU ... Perkins will be the incumbent point guard at GU by the time NWG is eligible. And guards who don't shoot well from the perimeter haven't typically fit well with GU's offense.

roxdoc
04-10-2015, 10:16 PM
David Stockton?

Mantua
04-10-2015, 10:58 PM

Williams-Goss said "Gonzaga has reached out" to him, so I guess that IS a thing. GU recruited him out of high school, if I recall correctly, so I guess it shouldn't be a surprise.

But I just don't get how he'd fit at GU ... Perkins will be the incumbent point guard at GU by the time NWG is eligible. And guards who don't shoot well from the perimeter haven't typically fit well with GU's offense.

If UW had won a few more games NWG would have been a draft pick. He was playing fantastically when they started the season.

Mantua
04-10-2015, 11:03 PM
Just speculation on my part, but I think he has one more year to turn things around or he's gone. They have a highly ranked recruiting class coming in. Seems like coaches on the hot seat always get a pass in cases like this. You don't want to risk losing any of those kids with a coaching change. Of course losing their best player and PG isn't going to help the cause next season.

Apart from all of money UW has to pay out, I don't see a downside with a coaching change.

Mantua
04-10-2015, 11:18 PM
With his offer list and a top 10 recruit in Texas (not sure if that is by position or all) plus sounds like he was a finalist to make the All-American team too...sure seems much higher than a mid major prospect!

Gonzaga Stars have received quite a bit of national spotlight time. Geez, Duke and Kentucky players have to elbow each other for attention. ( ...or act out as some have chosen to do.) If Gonzaga loads up on more talent, it will be a big story. The West has some teams with good potential, but how many teams from the West are ranked in the top ten post season? I'm hoping for as many good birds in the hand as we can get.

GoZags
04-11-2015, 04:14 AM
At this point I would be very pleased if Josh Perkins was Gonzaga's point guard in a couple of years. I haven't heard directly (or definitively) but Josh Perkins has a chance to be good enough to be "one and done".

What I DO know (and HAVE been told) is that Perkins is a very "special" player.

thespywhozaggedme
04-11-2015, 05:37 AM
You think he's willing to come in and back up Josh? Honest question.

thespywhozaggedme
04-11-2015, 05:39 AM
Second rounder at best; his shooting percentage is so bad, he makes Rondo look like Wiltjer. Defenses would sag off of him big time. He's gotta fix his jumper.
If UW had won a few more games NWG would have been a draft pick. He was playing fantastically when they started the season.

thespywhozaggedme
04-11-2015, 05:40 AM
Yup. As I've stated numerous times, when all is said and done, he could quite possibly be the best pg at GU ever, not named John Stockton.
At this point I would be very pleased if Josh Perkins was Gonzaga's point guard in a couple of years. I haven't heard directly (or definitively) but Josh Perkins has a chance to be good enough to be "one and done".

jazzdelmar
04-11-2015, 05:42 AM
Yup. As I've stated numerous times, when all is said and done, he could quite possibly be the best pg at GU ever, not named John Stockton.

This all very enticing and I agree to an extent but what is all this based on?

CanadianZagFan
04-11-2015, 06:00 AM

Duke started Jones and Cook together, we see two PGs play together all the time. Saw it a bunch last season (13/14) with the Zags as well. A year working on his game and shooting will make him more than capable of playing on and off the ball. As a freshman he shot 35.6% from 3 on almost 3 attempts per game, the kid is not as bad a shooter as people are making it out to be. Also, at 6'3 he will not be outmatched guarding either of the backcourt positions.

cggonzaga
04-11-2015, 07:38 AM
I was afraid of hearing Perkins could have a Trey Burke type of year and leave early. Even if not why couldn't Nigel play the 3 here?

Reborn
04-11-2015, 08:09 AM
If we could get Williams-Goss why wouldn't we? It makes no sense at all to me why we would not take him. Yes, he is that good. And it never ever hurts to have a player like him in the GU stable of guards. This year is a great example to me, that you can never have too many quality players. Giving our top players chances to rest during the season only helps them in March and April. WE are losing two really good guards and I believe we need to get at least one, and a guard like Williams-would just be fantastic.

Birddog
04-11-2015, 08:44 AM
Did I read on this thread correctly that he is a JR? That means 2 years of scholarship for 1 of PT. I can't think of a time GU has done this in the past, but my memory sucks.

Marcus
04-11-2015, 09:07 AM

So reading between the lines a bit here. If by all accounts Josh is THAT good, good enough to be one and done, than we would need a point guard to step in right around the time NWG would be eligible. If Josh ends up sticking around for a 3rd year at GU, awesome, if not have to have a replacement ready.

WallaWallaZag
04-11-2015, 09:10 AM
Did I read on this thread correctly that he is a JR? That means 2 years of scholarship for 1 of PT. I can't think of a time GU has done this in the past, but my memory sucks.

currently a soph...would be identical situation as wiltjer...would play his senior school year as a transfer redshirt junior in terms of basketball eligibility...if he stayed for his redshirt senior year, he would be in a grad program.

Marcus
04-11-2015, 09:10 AM
If we could get Williams-Goss why wouldn't we? It makes no sense at all to me why we would not take him. Yes, he is that good. And it never ever hurts to have a player like him in the GU stable of guards. This year is a great example to me, that you can never have too many quality players. Giving our top players chances to rest during the season only helps them in March and April. WE are losing two really good guards and I believe we need to get at least one, and a guard like Williams-would just be fantastic.

I agree 100% Reborn. Why not take him. You can never have enough top talent. Injuries happen too. Keep raising the bar if you can.

BobZag
04-11-2015, 09:24 AM

Gonzaga is actually at its best with two PGs on the court. It's been done since Santangelo/Hall, Dickau/Stepp, etc. If Few could bring in NWG, the Zags would have a backcourt to die for. Toss in Mussini, as well.

More importantly, I really want to see Nolan Narian be a Zag ASAP. With Zach Collins, that'd be a great duo of bigs to bring in for 2016.

Birddog
04-11-2015, 09:26 AM
currently a soph...would be identical situation as wiltjer...would play his senior school year as a transfer redshirt junior in terms of basketball eligibility...if he stayed for his redshirt senior year, he would be in a grad program.

OK, that makes more sense.

thespywhozaggedme
04-11-2015, 09:28 AM
Sounds good to me. And if we snag Haley for 2016, redshirt year, he and Wade would make for an awesome backcourt after Perkins, meslon and NWG.
Gonzaga is actually at its best with two PGs on the court. It's been done since Santangelo/Hall, Dickau/Stepp, etc. If Few could bring in NWG, the Zags would have a backcourt to die for. Toss in Mussini, as well.

More importantly, I really want to see Nolan Narian be a Zag ASAP. With Zach Collins, that'd be a great duo of bigs to bring in for 2016.

BobZag
04-11-2015, 09:36 AM
Sounds good to me. And if we snag Haley for 2016, redshirt year, he and Wade would make for an awesome backcourt after Perkins, meslon and NWG.

Yup. Now we're on the same wavelength. :)

Marcus
04-11-2015, 09:41 AM

Couldn't Haley play at the 1, 2 or 3 spot? Even if he didn't redshirt it would create some interesting lineups that the Zags could put on the court.

MickMick
04-11-2015, 10:08 AM
Calipari called Perkins.

We all know that if Calipari calls a player, that player is very likely NBA bound and probably good enough to sign a multi year rookie contract.

The next step in program evolution would be dealing with the same problem that NCAA champion Duke will face. They must replace the elite freshman core that took home the trophy.

If the program does take the next step, we fans will eventually be conditioned to accepting such things.

Two thoughts:

1) Enjoy the brief time you get to watch any given player.
2) The higher player turnover would put Mark Few into unchartered territory with respect to recruiting work load. It may tax him to the point where GU has become the job he has turned down elsewhere. The quaint family atmosphere might not be quite the same.

VinnyZag
04-11-2015, 03:49 PM
Tweet from Goodman earlier today:

@GoodmanESPN: Washington PG Nigel Williams-Goss told ESPN he is considering Providence. Said he will visit Texas, also looking at UNLV, Mich St, G'Town.

Doesn't rule out Gonzaga, but ...

MR.HUSTLE
04-11-2015, 06:29 PM
Long time reader 1st time poster thought I would get in on this thread. Looking at the list of transfers who would have to seat out a year. I think Anton gill from Louisville would a good pickup for the zags a former top 40 player not sure if would be on him tho .What's the boards thoughts on Shaqquan Aaron Or where he ends up ?

WallaWallaZag
04-12-2015, 08:25 AM
Long time reader 1st time poster thought I would get in on this thread. Looking at the list of transfers who would have to seat out a year. I think Anton gill from Louisville would a good pickup for the zags a former top 40 player not sure if would be on him tho .What's the boards thoughts on Shaqquan Aaron Or where he ends up ?

gill's not a shooter so doesn't fit the zags system at the 2...and he's from carolina so probably heading that direction.

guessing aaron will go home and play for romar (if he's still around).

CDC84
04-12-2015, 10:59 AM
Turns out folks that Gonzaga is in the Damion Lee hunt:

https://twitter.com/DL_XIV/status/587326120145588226

I have narrowed my list down to these schools in alphabetical order:

Arizona
Gonzaga
Louisville
Marquette
Maryland

ZagNative
04-12-2015, 11:05 AM
Twitter:

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 13m13 minutes ago

Damion Lee, arguably most coveted transfer in country, told ESPN has narrowed list to Arizona, Gonzaga, Louisville, Marquette, Maryland.

ZagNative
04-12-2015, 11:31 AM
From Scout (http://collegebasketball.scout.com/story/1536828-lee-narrows-list-to-five?s=196&utm_content=buffer88c92&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer):

Lee narrows list to five

Damion Lee, who averaged 21.4 points a game last year for Drexel, cut his list of schools to five.

Damion Lee, one of the top available graduate transfers, informed Scout that he has cut his list down to five schools. The finalists include Arizona, Gonzaga, Louisville, Marquette and Maryland.

“With all of them it's mainly the fit,” Lee explained. “It's a goal I set for myself and what I want to accomplish for myself in the next year. All the schools meet the criteria. Those are the five main ones.”

Lee told Scout what he likes about each of the five:

Gonzaga: “They possibly have the best frontcourt in the nation with [Domantas] Sabonis and [Przemek] Karnowski and they lost all three of their guards this past year. Once again, they made it to the tournament and have a great coaching staff with coach [Mark] Few.”

jazzdelmar
04-12-2015, 11:39 AM
Zag material?

"Lee is looking for big-time minutes in a big-time program.“I want to go to a school where I can play 30-35 minutes a game for a team I can come in and lead and, hopefully, make a deep run,” Lee said. “A place where I come back afterward and be a second home for me. Lastly, a place where I can give myself the best chance to get drafted and market myself, and if getting drafted doesn’t work playing overseas.”

ZagNative
04-12-2015, 11:44 AM
Twitter:

Slipper Still Fits ‏@slipperstillfit 3m3 minutes ago

Elite transfer Damion Lee has set a visit to Gonzaga per @jeffborzello. Will also visit Louisville and Arizona.

23dpg
04-12-2015, 11:46 AM
Zag material?

"Lee is looking for big-time minutes in a big-time program.“I want to go to a school where I can play 30-35 minutes a game for a team I can come in and lead and, hopefully, make a deep run,” Lee said. “A place where I come back afterward and be a second home for me. Lastly, a place where I can give myself the best chance to get drafted and market myself, and if getting drafted doesn’t work playing overseas.”

Sure. I don't know anything about this guy but I see nothing in that quote that is out of line. In fact I find it quite reasonable and honest.

HenneZag
04-12-2015, 11:58 AM
I would be ecstatic to get this kid. With that said somebody on this team will take a hit and wont be happy. The one player who comes to mind is Melson...I really wished he could have RS. Perkins will be the guy. Can Lee play 1-3? How would we balance EM,KD,BA etc. I dont mind having this problem but something will have to give.

JAGzag
04-12-2015, 12:03 PM
Zag material?

"Lee is looking for big-time minutes in a big-time program.I want to go to a school where I can play 30-35 minutes a game for a team I can come in and lead and, hopefully, make a deep run, Lee said. A place where I come back afterward and be a second home for me. Lastly, a place where I can give myself the best chance to get drafted and market myself, and if getting drafted doesnt work playing overseas.

You mean a driven player who wants to lead by being on the court? A player who is driven? I'd take him. If he doesn't fit with our players Few wouldn't risk the move.

CDC84
04-12-2015, 12:15 PM
The free throw shooting fans on this board will be happy to know that Lee shot 89% from the line last season. Like Wesley, he's also a terrific rebounder for a wing....averaged 6.1 RPG per game.

It's going to be hard to get him away from Maryland. He's a Baltimore area kid, and the Terps are going to be a top 3 team next season. But as long as GU can get him on campus, they have a legit shot. I wouldn't be surprised if Wesley is his host.

webspinnre
04-12-2015, 12:29 PM
Any time we have a chance to get an elite talent, I'm at least interested. Nothing in what he said sounds problematic to me. In fact, sounds much like Wesley.

zagsfanforlife
04-12-2015, 12:30 PM
I would say 90% chance hes at Maryland, maybe higher.

Dude is from that area, great friends with Melo Tremble, could fill an empty spot left by Dez Wells and they are a championship contender. Would be shocked to see him go anywahere else.

raise the zag
04-12-2015, 12:55 PM

Dude is from that area, great friends with Melo Tremble, could fill an empty spot left by Dez Wells and they are a championship contender. Would be shocked to see him go anywahere else.

This.

Zagdawg
04-12-2015, 01:55 PM
Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello 2h2 hours ago
San Francisco transfer Mark Tollefsen tells ESPN he will visit Arizona next weekend.

BobZag
04-12-2015, 04:06 PM
Likely mere dreaming, but if Few could bring in Lee and NWG, wowzers, what a coup.

TexasZagFan
04-12-2015, 04:22 PM
Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello 2h2 hours ago
San Francisco transfer Mark Tollefsen tells ESPN he will visit Arizona next weekend.

At best, he'd be a spot player for AZ.

GonzaGAW
04-12-2015, 04:34 PM

well if we do miss out, I'd rather see him in a Maryland uniform, than lose him to Arizona and have to play against him.

cggonzaga
04-12-2015, 04:49 PM
ve RS. Perkins will be the guy. Can Lee play 1-3? How would we balance EM,KD,BA etc. I dont mind having this problem but something will have to give.

Lee is a 3. It would be Drang taking the hit yet again. I'm fine with it if he is.

Mantua
04-12-2015, 06:11 PM
Likely mere dreaming, but if Few could bring in Lee and NWG, wowzers, what a coup.

Dare to dream!

raise the zag
04-12-2015, 07:53 PM
I've always felt Tollefsen acted & thought he was better than he really is...this proves how I've felt. Never interacted or listened to teammates, attempted every shot under the sun, unnecessary reactions, etc.

He won't do squat at Zona, yet best of luck to his bball future.

MickMick
04-12-2015, 08:01 PM
Tollefsen is a damn solid player in my opinion. Don't forget about that LMU kid that transferred to Kansas and ended up being a big contributor. I think Arizona is too deep (deeper than the fore mentioned Kansas team) to use Tollefsen extensively, but I could easily picture the young man getting ample playing time for a most PAC programs.

I don't see why USF is leaking their best players. Didn't they lose a good forward/center to UW a couple years back?

seacatfan
04-12-2015, 08:09 PM
I don't see why USF is leaking their best players. Didn't they lose a good forward/center to UW a couple years back?

Yep, Perris Blackwell. Always a thorn in the side of the Zags while he was at USF. Was okay at UW but didn't excel.

Zagdawg
04-12-2015, 11:19 PM
They also lost 2-3 of their starting guards to transfer over the last 2-3 years---only stand playing for Rexy for so long before you need to get away from him.

IowaZag
04-13-2015, 08:16 AM
Jeff Goodman retweeted
Bluejay Banter @bluejaybanter 8m 8 minutes ago
Former Kansas State guard Marcus Foster will be taking an official visit to #Creighton this weekend. He's also considering Zaga, Cincy & LSU

gonzagafan62
04-13-2015, 08:58 AM
Jeff Goodman retweeted
Bluejay Banter @bluejaybanter 8m 8 minuutes ago
Former Kansas State guard Marcus Foster will be taking an official visit to #Creighton this weekend. He's also considering Zaga, Cincy & LSU

Marcus foster? He's magic! That would be a HUGE get

sittingon50
04-13-2015, 09:10 AM

6'2" guard, scored 23 vs Arizona early in yr., 6-9 from 3. %'s weren't special & PT < slightly from Fresh. yr.

MR.HUSTLE
04-13-2015, 09:17 AM

"Look out Stockton You got posterized!!" Lol just kidding this would be interesting.

scott257
04-13-2015, 11:10 AM
Can anyone speculate on how the process is going to work with respect to the prospective transfers? It appears that there are more than a couple of potentials out there that are looking at Gonzaga, I imagine that the staff has made contact already with those players that they would like to have. I believe we knew Wesley was headed our way before the end of May last year. Is it wrong to assume we may actually be in a position this year to turn away potential transfers because of the success we had last season with Wesley? Will the potential transfers be scheduling visits? Is this a case of first come, first served?

LongIslandZagFan
04-13-2015, 11:23 AM
Can anyone speculate on how the process is going to work with respect to the prospective transfers? It appears that there are more than a couple of potentials out there that are looking at Gonzaga, I imagine that the staff has made contact already with those players that they would like to have. I believe we knew Wesley was headed our way before the end of May last year. Is it wrong to assume we may actually be in a position this year to turn away potential transfers because of the success we had last season with Wesley? Will the potential transfers be scheduling visits? Is this a case of first come, first served?

Each case is different. There really is no set timeline you can go by.

LongIslandZagFan
04-13-2015, 11:24 AM

Being dismissed from the team is the only thing that would make me nervous.

Mojo13
04-13-2015, 11:24 AM
"Look out Stockton You got posterized!!" Lol just kidding this would be interesting.

Go do some digging on Foster - you wont like what you find. He was an unruley headcase at KSU this past year. Maybe Few and Co could get him under control, maybe.

gonzagafan62
04-13-2015, 11:28 AM
Go do some digging on Foster - you wont like what you find. He was an unruley headcase at KSU this past year. Maybe Few and Co could get him under control, maybe.

Please. Look at what mark few has done with headcases. Do you see any problems on campus. Have you seen any on campus since the one incident with Heytvelt and Davis? Didn't think so. Nobody really liked what they saw from Emac last year either. "Headcase, kicked off two teams, transfer, ball hog, blah blah blah"

Point is Mark Few is like Bill Belichick in a way. You do it the Gonzaga way, or you go home. Its that simple. That's probably the first thing that happens in the visits. if he don't think he can control them, then there's no way he is going to become a bulldog.

You would be surprised.

LongIslandZagFan
04-13-2015, 11:33 AM
Please. Look at what mark few has done with headcases. Do you see any problems on campus. Have you seen any on campus since the one incident with Heytvelt and Davis? Didn't think so. Nobody really liked what they saw from Emac last year either. "Headcase, kicked off two teams, transfer, ball hog, blah blah blah"

Point is Mark Few is like Bill Belichick in a way. You do it the Gonzaga way, or you go home. Its that simple. That's probably the first thing that happens in the visits. if he don't think he can control them, then there's no way he is going to become a bulldog.

You would be surprised.

I will say this... many many years ago, there was a transfer that came in, quietly, and had to meet certain expectations during summer classes. He didn't and never stepped foot on the court... Most people never knew he was even at GU at any point. So the GU way or go home thing rings pretty true.

CDC84
04-13-2015, 12:31 PM
The risk with Marcus Foster - it addition to the fact that he was suspended 2 different times and then kicked off his team by one of the nicest guys in the coaching profession - is that he wants to be a point guard instead of a shooting guard to enhance his NBA stock. This was a major source of the friction between him and Weber. The problem is that Foster isn't and never will be a point guard at either level. He doesn't have it in him. What he happens to be is a great shooting guard at the college level. I would be surprised if he comes to GU. Josh Perkins is the PG of the future.

Zag_Dad
04-13-2015, 12:37 PM
I have tried to keep track of who is considering a transfer and /or uncommitted yet for next year. Here is who I came up with (that is considering Gonzaga).... am I missing anyone?

BRANDON BAILEY - 6'7" SF out of Utah, de-committed from AZ State.

DAMION LEE - 6'6" guard from Maryland, graduate transfer from Drexel

FREDERICO MUSSINI - 6'3" guard from Italy, would enter as a Freshman

MARCUS FOSTER - 6'3" guard from Texas, Freshman transfer Kansas State

NIGEL GOSS-WILLIAMS - 6'3" guard from Oregon, Sophomore transfer from Washington

With the uncomfortable news that we might be losing both Wiltjer and Karnowski, we need more than before some new talent to join the ranks next year.

ZagLawGrad
04-13-2015, 02:40 PM
Goss-Williams would be a huge catch IMO.

As to those who are potential transfers, does anyone know when a decision has to be made---or is expected---by these players?

cjm720
04-13-2015, 02:44 PM
Goss-Williams would be a huge catch IMO.

As to those who are potential transfers, does anyone know when a decision has to be made---or is expected---by these players?

depends but I want to see B Wes made his decision around mid May

DixieZag
04-13-2015, 03:46 PM

You would be surprised.

While that is true, one must also look at how much the upper classmen have to do with keeping somewhat troubled players in line. From the little I've heard, the answer is "a lot."

And, because of that, I think we have less freedom to do so for this coming year.

No one would cross Gary and Kevin last year, not unless they wanted to face never seeing the court. But, this coming year, if it is true that KW and PK are leaving, we'd suddenly become very young and, though Few would have a huge impact, the atmosphere wouldn't be quite so stable as this year.

SanDiegoZag
04-13-2015, 05:14 PM
I watched Marcus Foster and KSU a couple times early in the year, during the couple times he was getting benched. If ever I saw a player that looked like he had big money against his own team, this was it. Some of the things he did on the court looked very sketchy... That may have been the reason Bruce Weber benched/suspended him? Either that, or he is the most overrated player I have ever seen. I would definitely pass on Foster.

The risk with Marcus Foster - it addition to the fact that he was suspended 2 different times and then kicked off his team by one of the nicest guys in the coaching profession - is that he wants to be a point guard instead of a shooting guard to enhance his NBA stock. This was a major source of the friction between him and Weber. The problem is that Foster isn't and never will be a point guard at either level. He doesn't have it in him. What he happens to be is a great shooting guard at the college level. I would be surprised if he comes to GU. Josh Perkins is the PG of the future.

zagsfanforlife
04-13-2015, 05:17 PM
I watched Marcus Foster and KSU a couple times early in the year, during the couple times he was getting benched. If ever I saw a player that looked like he had big money against his own team, this was it. Some of the things he did on the court looked very sketchy... That may have been the reason Bruce Weber benched/suspended him? Either that, or he is the most overrated player I have ever seen. I would definitely pass on Foster.

Not agreeing to what I think you are saying.. but... there were times when Foster looked all world and times where he looked like a D3 prospect.. Sketchy indeed.

CDC84
04-14-2015, 09:53 AM
Update on Williams-Goss. If Gonzaga were a serious candidate, it is my feeling they would be on this list. The truth of the matter is that Gonzaga already has a PG in Josh Perkins. It was always going to be a tough sell....

Harrison Malkin ‏@HarrisonMalkin 4m4 minutes ago

Nigel Williams-Goss will visit UNLV this weekend, Providence on April 25th, Texas on May 1st & Georgetown on May 8th, per @JonRothstein.

Kalvinmj34
04-14-2015, 10:00 AM
Of the top 3 transfers (Williams Goss, Foster and Lee) Lee seems like the best fit. Goss and Foster want too handle the ball too much to be effective in the GU system. Rather go forward with Perkins and Melson.

Zag_Dad
04-14-2015, 10:04 AM
Really feels like Goss-Williams will go to Texas. It would be a fun story to have him playing for Gonzaga when we renew the rivalry against UW in the 16/17 season but it just seems like we are not a true contender for him.

cjm720
04-14-2015, 10:07 AM
Of the top 3 transfers (Williams Goss, Foster and Lee) Lee seems like the best fit. Goss and Foster want too handle the ball too much to be effective in the GU system. Rather go forward with Perkins and Melson.

I thought I read an article where Lee said he wanted to play 30-35 minutes a game and be the focal point of the offense.

CDC84
04-14-2015, 10:11 AM
I thought I read an article where Lee said he wanted to play 30-35 minutes a game and be the focal point of the offense.

If this were truly the case, Maryland wouldn't be near the top of his list. Like Wesley, my sense is that this kid wants to go somewhere where he can win big. All else is gravy.

Kalvinmj34
04-14-2015, 10:17 AM
If this were truly the case, Maryland wouldn't be near the top of his list. Like Wesley, my sense is that this kid wants to go somewhere where he can win big. All else is gravy.

I haven't heard that either, but I could be wrong. I agree, like Wesley, Lee wants to be somewhere with winning environment and nearly a guarantee of being in the NCAA tourney. Zona, GU, Maryland and Lousiville all provide that.

cjm720
04-14-2015, 10:45 AM
I started to search for the article with no luck...might be thinking of someone else. anyhow, I came across this one http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bal-damion-lee-narrows-transfer-choices-to-five-schools-including-maryland-20150412-story.html

Seems like a good dude that wants to win, and he wants to play with NBA caliber players. I see him landing at Maryland.

Kalvinmj34
04-14-2015, 10:53 AM
I started to search for the article with no luck...might be thinking of someone else. anyhow, I came across this one http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bal-damion-lee-narrows-transfer-choices-to-five-schools-including-maryland-20150412-story.html

Seems like a good dude that wants to win, and he wants to play with NBA caliber players. I see him landing at Maryland.

Interesting article. I hadn't read many interviews of his yet. Jerry Meyer of 247 Sports has Lee going to Arizona. Maryland probably gives him the best chance at a National Championship.

zagfan1
04-14-2015, 11:02 AM
Interesting article. I hadn't read many interviews of his yet. Jerry Meyer of 247 Sports has Lee going to Arizona. Maryland probably gives him the best chance at a National Championship.

I don't think Maryland will be winning a national championship anytime soon. Not in the Big ten. If Lee wants a virtual guarantee of going to NCAA and making it at least to the second weekend he should pick Gonzaga. I think Arizona would be next after Gonzaga.

CDC84
04-14-2015, 11:44 AM
I don't know...just about everyone has Maryland as a top 3 team next season...especially with all the people who have declared from other teams. I wouldn't be shocked if a few pubs have them as their preseason #1 team.

I can't see Lee going to Zona unless Stanely Johnson declares for the draft. If he does, they have a real shot because they will have a perfect slot for him.

BTW - the article above says that the Zag coaches are going to visit Lee. I've read in a couple of other articles that he's actually visiting GU. The staff need to get him on campus. Ideally with Byron Wesley as his host. Wesley could sell the program...big time.

VinnyZag
04-14-2015, 12:21 PM
More on Williams-Goss:

Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein
Nigel Williams-Goss told @CBSSports he will have in-home visits in next week and a half with Shaka Smart, Ed Cooley, and JT3.

Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein
Nigel Williams-Goss also told @CBSSports his visit to Michigan State isn't 100% confirmed. Gonzaga, LSU, Ohio State still in mix for visit.

BobZag
04-14-2015, 02:41 PM
A lot of kids scoring double digits are transferring out. Just follow Jeff Goodman on Twitter.

zagsfanforlife
04-15-2015, 07:24 AM
Jonathan Williams III out of Missouri is visiting on May 1st. That would be a big time get for 16-17

CDC84
04-15-2015, 07:28 AM
Williams was 42nd ranked nationally by rivals.com coming out of HS. Offers from Michigan State, Texas, Florida and others. He was Mizzou's leading scorer last year. MU sure did put a lot of restrictions on his transfer:

http://www.espn929.com/pages/21369604.php

As part of the conditions of his release from Missouri, Williams is not permitted to transfer to any SEC school, Big 12 school, or future opponents Arizona and Illinois.

Not sure how this influences the recruitment of Nolan Narain.

zagfan24
04-15-2015, 07:42 AM
MU sure did put a lot of restrictions on his transfer.

That's a rule I'd sure like to see go away. Keep the one-year mandatory sit out to discourge serial transferring, but it seems absurd to me that schools can restrict a kid from going where he wants to go, even in conference.

cjm720
04-15-2015, 07:47 AM
That's a rule I'd sure like to see go away. Keep the one-year mandatory sit out to discourge serial transferring, but it seems absurd to me that schools can restrict a kid from going where he wants to go, even in conference.

especially since a coach can go wherever and arguably affect the outcome of games more. hypocritical.

basketballzag
04-15-2015, 08:56 AM
Williams was 42nd ranked nationally by rivals.com coming out of HS. Offers from Michigan State, Texas, Florida and others. He was Mizzou's leading scorer last year. MU sure did put a lot of restrictions on his transfer:

http://www.espn929.com/pages/21369604.php

Not sure how this influences the recruitment of Nolan Narain.

We had the restriction put in place when Rem thought about transferring. We said he could sign with anyone but Kentucky so he stayed. .

BobZag
04-15-2015, 09:17 AM
We had the restriction put in place when Rem thought about transferring. We said he could sign with anyone but Kentucky so he stayed. .

I thought it was the Lakers.

MTZag03
04-15-2015, 10:08 AM
I thought it was the Lakers.

I thought it was the mid-nineties Bulls.

KStyles
04-16-2015, 10:39 PM

Maybe this one?

“Top priority is to go in there, play my game, come in, be a focal point of the team from the wing position,” he said. “Play 30 minutes a game, go out there, help a team get to the tournament or get back to the tournament and look to make a deep run.

http://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/news_article/show/500567

webspinnre
04-17-2015, 06:54 AM
That sounds pretty reasonable to me. Help a team, make a deep run. Nothing wrong with wanting to play 30 minutes a game.

cjm720
04-17-2015, 07:47 AM
Maybe this one?

http://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/news_article/show/500567

Thanks! After re-reading, he emphasized at the wing position which is more encouraging to me. Would be a huge get!!! Maryland's to lose IMO, unfortunately.

SLOZag
04-17-2015, 11:42 AM
FWIW: Foster may have substituted Miami for Cincinnati on his short list.

http://caneswarning.com/2015/04/17/miami-hurricanes-basketball-kansas-state-transfer-marcus-foster-considering-miami/