PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga/Memphis series won't be renewed

basketballzag
03-30-2015, 09:09 AM
http://www.commercialappeal.com/sports/tigers/mens-basketball/gonzaga-series-over-but-sooners-coming-up_68022768

“At this point, it (the Gonzaga series) is not a need from the standpoint of an RPI (boost) because the improved conference (the American Athletic Conference) really helps your RPI. For the most part, you’re going to get enough good games and opportunities to win against top-50 RPI teams,” Baker said.

Did Memphis or the American Athletic Conference make a decision to avoid playing Gonzaga in the future?

CDC84
03-30-2015, 09:13 AM
To be honest, the series doesn't have the same appeal since Calipari left.

Reborn
03-30-2015, 09:13 AM
It's okay with me. The Zags will find another worthy team. I always like to play new teams, especially good new teams. Like SMU this year. That's a good series. The Big 12 teams have always seemed to like playing us; so maybe we can get a home and home with one of them. The American Athletic Conference may be good, but no where near as good as the Big 12, nor as entertaining.

jchocolate99
03-30-2015, 09:14 AM
http://www.commercialappeal.com/sports/tigers/mens-basketball/gonzaga-series-over-but-sooners-coming-up_68022768

“At this point, it (the Gonzaga series) is not a need from the standpoint of an RPI (boost) because the improved conference (the American Athletic Conference) really helps your RPI. For the most part, you’re going to get enough good games and opportunities to win against top-50 RPI teams,” Baker said.

Did Memphis or the American Athletic Conference make a decision to avoid playing Gonzaga in the future?

He didn't necessarily say they wouldn't ever renew it just that it wold not be renewed within these two years because of the two year agreement with Oklahoma but would be looked at after that series was over... Unfortunately though it's just not a priorty for them with their conference

willandi
03-30-2015, 09:24 AM
Maybe we can get some home and home series with Pac 12! Wait a sec....don't we have 4 lined up (including the chicken game)?

gonzagafan62
03-30-2015, 09:27 AM
Memphis was a hurt to our RPI anyway this season. Lets get someone better for the midseason.

Go Bulldogs!

Zagdawg
03-30-2015, 09:28 AM
Next year we have a ton of solid teams on the schedule --so we have a little time to identify a midyear opponent for the following year. The challenge you run into is the timing of the game--- many teams don't want to take the effort in the middle of their conference season to play someone else. It is great for visibility of the team that plays the game with us---and hopefully a team will step up and be willing to play. I really like the SMU team we played also--might be a good option.

Go Zags

GoZags
03-30-2015, 10:35 AM
The new Washington home and home replaces Memphis (from Gonzaga's standpoint).

gonzagafan62
03-30-2015, 10:36 AM

They need to get a better coach.....

sittingon50
03-30-2015, 11:34 AM
They need to get a better coach.....

Which one?

:rolleyes:

gonzagafan62
03-30-2015, 11:47 AM
Which one?

:rolleyes:

Tou-freakin-che

gozagswoohoo
03-30-2015, 11:50 AM
I think the best possible replacement for this game would be an annual AWAY game (never bring it back to Spokane. Just always have it in St. Louis, just because) at SLU. Every season.

'62, you cool with this too? Let's start a petition. I can gaurantee at least 6 other signatures at this point.

229SintoZag
03-30-2015, 11:51 AM

If true, too bad. I hate to see Gonzaga downgrade schedule quality like this--ducking Memphis to play a cupcake like UW that has not made the dance for years now and is largely irrelevant. I understand doing favors to keep things local, but I hope this does not signal a change in direction and a broader lowering of our standards for OOC opponents.

rennis
03-30-2015, 11:58 AM
I foresee it being very difficult to schedule a home/home game with another team with the chops of a memphis. Power 6 conference? Forgetaboutit.

Maybe we can get an MVC team like Wichita State.

Creighton or Marquette would be my overall preference though.

GoZags
03-30-2015, 11:59 AM
If true, too bad. I hate to see Gonzaga downgrade schedule quality like this--ducking Memphis to play a cupcake like UW that has not made the dance for years now and is largely irrelevant. I understand doing favors to keep things local, but I hope this does not signal a change in direction and a broader lowering of our standards for OOC opponents.

The end of the Memphis series was not Gonzaga's idea. Creating on campus home and homes with Arizona and UCLA was. Don't see how that signals a non-positive "change in direction".

gonzagafan62
03-30-2015, 12:00 PM
I think the best possible replacement for this game would be an annual AWAY game (never bring it back to Spokane. Just always have it in St. Louis, just because) at SLU. Every season.

'62, you cool with this too? Let's start a petition. I can gaurantee at least 6 other signatures at this point.

Heck yeah I am cool with this. That's something I could actually afford!!!!

Zags vs Billikens. Annual rivalry (only played in Saint Louis)

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-30-2015, 12:02 PM
To be honest, the series doesn't have the same appeal since Calipari left.

Lets start up a series with Kentucky.

VinnyZag
03-30-2015, 12:06 PM

Is the UW game going to be played in February, though? I thought that was one of the bonuses of the Memphis series ... it's played during conference play.

229SintoZag
03-30-2015, 02:38 PM
The end of the Memphis series was not Gonzaga's idea. Creating on campus home and homes with Arizona and UCLA was. Don't see how that signals a non-positive "change in direction".

You appear to not be aware that my post was a dig at UW for their recent troubles--nothing more. Lighten up!

DixieZag
03-30-2015, 02:52 PM

I have a question regarding that. It doesn't relate to sadness at the loss of Memphis or the fact that I love playing the UW again.

The question is, I thought we played Memphis, in part, to get another high quality RPI opportunity in the middle of the conference season, and the appeal with Memphis was that they were not in a high major conference, either.

It would seem to me that the challenge would be to find another high quality OOC and preferably during our bye week in the WCC. If we follow tradition, the task would be to find a similarly situation team - very high quality, wanting to go out of conference during the last month of the season. We might look to a team like Northern Iowa, or a Mountain West team (though they might see themselves as not needing an out of conference game).

CDC84
03-30-2015, 03:05 PM
It also doesn't help that both Gonzaga and Memphis are located on opposite ends of the country. I'm sure Memphis didn't like flying all the way out to Spokane to play a 10pm ET game only to get blasted.

ZagaZags
03-30-2015, 03:42 PM
Will the Jud Heathcote Tournament idea ever come up again? ( Gonzaga, MSU, Montana & WSU. )

TexasZagFan
03-30-2015, 04:27 PM
I have a question regarding that. It doesn't relate to sadness at the loss of Memphis or the fact that I love playing the UW again.

The question is, I thought we played Memphis, in part, to get another high quality RPI opportunity in the middle of the conference season, and the appeal with Memphis was that they were not in a high major conference, either.

It would seem to me that the challenge would be to find another high quality OOC and preferably during our bye week in the WCC. If we follow tradition, the task would be to find a similarly situation team - very high quality, wanting to go out of conference during the last month of the season. We might look to a team like Northern Iowa, or a Mountain West team (though they might see themselves as not needing an out of conference game).

How about a road trip against UTEP and/or NMSU? Both have good programs and are very tough road venues. They're also within an hour's drive of each other.

Rangerzag
03-30-2015, 05:56 PM
It also doesn't help that both Gonzaga and Memphis are located on opposite ends of the country. ..........

As I recall that was the main point Coach K made when asked about duke and the Zags playing more often.

thespywhozaggedme
03-30-2015, 08:32 PM
I was thinking at Clemson.

CarolinaZagFan
03-31-2015, 03:53 AM
A series with Wichita State could be fun.

jazzdelmar
03-31-2015, 04:10 AM
San Diego State seems obvious...great boost for both programs.......

TexasZagFan
03-31-2015, 04:37 AM

Excellent suggestion .

basketballzag
03-31-2015, 05:31 AM

Careful what you wish for because the Head Coach could take the Alabama job and the current elevated levels of WSU basketball could take a substantial drop.

Zagceo
03-31-2015, 08:07 AM
I see our practice scrimmage could be with Tennessee in the future.