PDA

View Full Version : Best Zag play/moment vs Duke

Birddog
03-30-2015, 04:36 AM
Lets bring in some upside to this board. What in your mind was the best play by a Zag vs Duke. I have to go with Sabonis single handed block and strip of Okafor's shot. My second choice would be Karno's crosscourt pass/assist to an open Wesley? not sure who it was. It was early in the game.The future is bright, very bright! Put on your shades next season.

rennis
03-30-2015, 06:25 AM
Sabonis' spin-cycle And-1 inbounds play under the hoop. That was amazing.

gonzagafan62
03-30-2015, 06:29 AM
Everyone was talking about how Great Okafor was, yet, this guy was eaten alive yesterday by the Zags' big guys, especially Sabonis. This guy is supposed to be the #2 player in the entire country and he got 7 real points (Steal + Layup + No call Travel, or double dribble) ... and 8 boards. Big Freakin Whoop!

Brad Waldow does 20 and 10 every night. Karnowski was right, he is a lot like Waldow, maybe worse.

That's my favorite play.

LongIslandZagFan
03-30-2015, 06:39 AM
Outside of the Okafor airball FT... probably most of Sabonis' plays in general.

rennis
03-30-2015, 06:42 AM
Everyone was talking about how Great Okafor was, yet, this guy was eaten alive yesterday by the Zags' big guys, especially Sabonis.

That goes both ways. Okafor proved over the course of the season he was one of the best players in the country. To judge him for one game is not fair. The Duke fans could turn around and say the same thing about Pangos, who had a horrible stat line last night, but WAS one of the best PGs in the country all year.

gonzagafan62
03-30-2015, 06:55 AM
That goes both ways. Okafor proved over the course of the season he was one of the best players in the country. To judge him for one game is not fair. The Duke fans could turn around and say the same thing about Pangos, who had a horrible stat line last night, but WAS one of the best PGs in the country all year.

Well that's true too. There was matchup problems both ways, you're right.

LongIslandZagFan
03-30-2015, 06:58 AM

The problem with Okafor is that his lack of ability to play D is well known. What was the word I heard used... I think it was "disinterested". That gets you splinters in your backside while you slide down the bench in the NBA.

CdAZagFan
03-30-2015, 07:02 AM
Thought of Sabonis the minute I read the title of the thread - First would be the strip/steal of Okafor and the second was his Spin Move + 1.

Zags11
03-30-2015, 07:10 AM
36minutes of the game. And, the frontcourt of ours trumps dukes. I think its more disrespect to the likes of sabonis and karno then about okafor. Karno was rated top 4 post defense in the country all year. He shut okafor down when out there and sabonis held ground.

Birddog
03-30-2015, 07:12 AM

Forgot about that one, It was stellar. So IMO Sabonis had the best single offensive and single defensive plays of the game for the Zags. He's gonna be off the charts next year.

TexasZagFan
03-30-2015, 07:16 AM
Forgot about that one, It was stellar. So IMO Sabonis had the best single offensive and single defensive plays of the game for the Zags. He's gonna be off the charts next year.

I'm sure he will enter the draft after his sophomore season. Is Karno coming back? His passing skills had to catch the eye of several NBA teams.

seacatfan
03-30-2015, 10:01 AM
Okafor also had a very modest 6 points and 8 rebounds against Utah. So that was both games in the South Regional where he was kept under control by frontcourts that got a whole lot less publicity and recognition than he did. It's obviously a small sample size, but based on those games Winslow has the much higher upside as a future pro among Duke freshmen.

MJ777
03-30-2015, 10:44 AM

That was my fav. If I'm an NBA GM I would take Sabonis over Okafor. It's in his genes.

zagsfanforlife
03-30-2015, 11:16 AM
That was my fav. If I'm an NBA GM I would take Sabonis over Okafor. It's in his genes.

Head to head, albeit one game, Sabonis looked just as good if not better. That is why you all should be excited about the prospects of a Senior Wiltjer, Senior Shem, and 2nd year Sabonis next year. That alone I expect to get us to an elite 8. Sorry i have high expectations!

MJ777
03-30-2015, 11:20 AM
Head to head, albeit one game, Sabonis looked just as good if not better. That is why you all should be excited about the prospects of a Senior Wiltjer, Senior Shem, and 2nd year Sabonis next year. That alone I expect to get us to an elite 8. Sorry i have high expectations!

:cheers: :clap:

ZagLawGrad
03-30-2015, 11:23 AM
Agree that Domas had some good plays. But (not unexpectedly as a frosh) he had some not so good plays as well. Too much dribbling in the key. Get rid of that habit.

Zaga
03-30-2015, 11:57 AM
Going ahead in the 2nd half with 4 something remaining.

rennis
03-30-2015, 12:00 PM
Agree that Domas had some good plays. But (not unexpectedly as a frosh) he had some not so good plays as well. Too much dribbling in the key. Get rid of that habit.

The two over-the-back fouls were really frustrating too.

seacatfan
03-30-2015, 12:15 PM

Agree with this. He has to get better at passing out of a double team. He made some strides during the season, but there is night and day difference between him and Karnowski at this point. Also needs to add shooting range. Based on his FT shooting he's probably already perfectly capable of hitting 10 to 15 foot jumpers, he just doesn't attempt those shots thus far in his career.

sittingon50
03-30-2015, 01:17 PM
Casey played 460 minutes as a Frosh (13.5 MPG), was 49-96 (.510 FG%) 10-33 3FG (303%), 17-29 (.586 FT%) 38 OR-54 DR =92 (2.7 RPG) 17 Assists, 46 blocks 16 steals, 66 Fouls, 15 TO's.

Domas: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3155942/domantas-sabonis

Both had strengths/weaknesses as evidenced by the stats but it seems Dontmiss has a bit of a head start over a great GU PF.

ZagLawGrad
03-30-2015, 01:28 PM
The two over-the-back fouls were really frustrating too.

At least his upside is off the map. Next year should really be something when he gets in the starting lineup.

Birddog
03-30-2015, 06:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0my8mE02Hs
Sabonis "Spin Cycle" move