PDA

View Full Version : For Fun (Needed) Pick Pre-Season Rank/Seed

DixieZag
03-29-2015, 10:50 PM
It's a long off season.

If KW comes back, the country knows we have a top 3 front court and lots of returning wings.

IF KW comes back, pre-season rank

Pre-Season Lunardi Seed

We have AZ and UCLA at home next OOC. With wins, we move to top 4.

Zagger
03-30-2015, 01:41 AM
Team as is without Seniors: 12 Rank, 3 Seed
Loosing Kevin and Gary (well knowns) and replacing with lesser knowns I see ranking and seeding being conservative.

gonzagafan62
03-30-2015, 06:27 AM
I see us taking a HUGE hit losing Gary and Kevin. Good thing McClellan can still defend. I am still weary on Melson. I am not sure what either of these guys have clutch wise, free throw wise, anything.

I will say we are ranked Top 20 with a 4 seed.

I would be way conservative. I don't see that we are better. We take a huge hit, but still do considerably well. I am not as excited for next season as I was this past season. Erg.

DixieZag
03-30-2015, 06:29 AM
I see us taking a HUGE hit losing Gary and Kevin. Good thing McClellan can still defend. I am still weary on Melson. I am not sure what either of these guys have clutch wise, free throw wise, anything.

I will say we are ranked Top 20 with a 4 seed.

I would be way conservative. I don't see that we are better. We take a huge hit, but still do considerably well. I am not as excited for next season as I was this past season. Erg.

I think you're underestimating the value of a continuing to develop Sabonis, Shem, and KW.

rennis
03-30-2015, 06:30 AM
With Wiltjer, Sabonis, and Karno? Top 10 pre-season, Top 4 Seed.

Without any of those three? Top 25 pre-season, 7-9 seed in tourney.

gonzagafan62
03-30-2015, 06:32 AM
I think you're underestimating the value of a continuing to develop Sabonis, Shem, and KW.

Maybe I am. I dearly hope I am wrong. Losing a backcourt like that is hard. I love Perkins, I think he will step in fine. I like the depth with Melson, Alberts, Perkins, and Draino. If we bring in another transfer at one of the guard positions, I wouldn't be so passive .... I think we are missing one player from having another real shot at the Final Four.

The Good News: We have all offseason to get one, player. I hope we do.

CdAZagFan
03-30-2015, 07:20 AM
It's going to be interesting next season to see the shift between the strong leadership coming from the guard play to the strong leadership coming from the front court. I think Wiltjer, Shem and Sabonis will take over the identity of the team and I don't think this team will fall very far. I'd say preseason rank in the 10-15 range, with a 6-8 seed and we go up from there...

LongIslandZagFan
03-30-2015, 07:27 AM
With KW....

Probably 15-20
4 seed.

Too many questions at the 1 and 2 spot. 3-5 are solid as solid could be.

IowaZag
03-30-2015, 07:36 AM
Three keys to success next year:

-No early draft entries
-Someone steps up to replace Gary as defensive stopper (McClellan?)
-Another three-point sniper, in addition to Wiltjer and Dranginis, to help space the floor (Melson, Alberts, another grad transfer?)

Will be interesting to see which immediately eligible transfers are out there. If we can pick up an athletic 3 with range, we should be in good shape. Nunez has the skill set - maybe next year is when he puts it all together.

TexasZagFan
03-30-2015, 07:40 AM
With KW....

Probably 15-20
4 seed.

Too many questions at the 1 and 2 spot. 3-5 are solid as solid could be.

Great future thread when all the right info is out on returning players.

LongIslandZagFan
03-30-2015, 08:06 AM
Most importantly... there is one thing being overlooked here. There are 3 schollies open... when the transfer floodgates open...

gonzagafan62
03-30-2015, 08:16 AM
Most importantly... there is one thing being overlooked here. There are 3 schollies open... when the transfer floodgates open...

When does this usually start happening again? I completely forgot. Looking forward to some offseason talk.

LongIslandZagFan
03-30-2015, 08:19 AM
When does this usually start happening again? I completely forgot. Looking forward to some offseason talk.

Usually mid to late April.

cjm720
03-30-2015, 08:38 AM
Preseason rank - 11
Preseason seed - 3

Reborn
03-30-2015, 08:52 AM
I'm up for some fun. Yeah. I'm also already thinking about next year. And fun does help mend a wounded heart. And you know I like prediction threads. hahaha I'm going to say that we'll be ranked 10th. And I think that it's a good place to start next year. It gives us room to go forward.

I love our OOC schedule next year, and UCLA is going to be a lot better next year; so if we beat them (at home) it'll be a much better win then it was this year. And of course Arizona at home in the Kennel will be crazy good for our fans. And then back to Houston to play SMU. WSU is going to be much better next year too.

I can't really say the Zags will be better next year yet because this years team was really good. 35 and 3 will be tough to beat. Maybe we can beat 17-1 in conference play. But the 15-16 Zags are going to be great. And they're goal will be to make it to the Final Four. We'll see how it goes. I'm looking forward to the new guys. I always am. That's why I like college basketball. It's like a river, always moving forward. Perkins is going to be a great guard, and has had a very good mentor. I'm really looking forward to see him play again. And I've been pretty impressed with McClellan so far. I hope Melson can become one or our 3 point shooters and believe he can. And of course we have Bryan Alberts who'll be playing, and Ryan Edwards. The stable is full of stallions once again. And yes, we have 3 scholies to fill. If everyone stays, and it's lookin like they will, everyone thought we were big last year, what will they think next year when we add Edwards

zagsfanforlife
03-30-2015, 08:56 AM
Preseason rank - 11
Preseason seed - 3

Here is where I think people will be surprised. Sabonis was AMAZING as a freshman. PK improved drastically this year. And Edwards has been practicing against 3 studs each day for the past year, while undergoing Travis Knight treatment. Sabonis and PK are best friends and it has been stated in articles that all these guys really care about or do is live on the basketball court developing their games. An offseason for these guys just to work on their games even more could see a scary DS and PK come back next year. Sabonis can even get stronger, develop his jumper more. PK can hit the weights even more and continue to work on his free throws. Their friendship is such a blessing people dont realize. When you have two dudes who are committed to the game who are best of friends and who live in the gym, that only makes one another better. Edwards looks stronger, leaner and as a backup 5, i think that will be scary. How many teams can offer a starter at 7'1 280 w skill, then a backup at 7'0, 265 w skill. That is impressive.

DS will be an all american next year. I have no doubts about it. Head to head last night he was more impressive to me than Okafor. Add in Jenks who by all means will be a stud, and a seasoned Silas and EM, plus a graduate transfer possibly, and I see zero reason why this team should not be expected to reach another elite 8 at least. Maybe i am spoiled now, or maybe I am just trying to feel better about the loss yesterday.

I will also add one more point---- Jenks and Melson I think are better suited for teams like DUke or more athletic teams than Pangos, Bell. I loved KP and GB but any time they played really really athletic quick guards, they struggled a bit. Having athleticism in Jenks and Melson will increase their chances to advance--- IF the two can be poised enough late in their soph years to lead the team.

DixieZag
03-30-2015, 08:57 AM
And then back to Houston to play SMU.

No big deal at all, but SMU is in Dallas, not Houston. We will return to Houston for the Final Four.

I seriously doubt that the 35-3 record will be matched, but we can be better with more losses. The early season tourney will not be washed out like this years one. We have those Pac teams at home, a great opportunity to make an early statement.

I think Pepp will really challenge next year. Not sure about the rest of the conference. BYU could be strong again. I'm worried about SMC. I hope they stay at the high level.

zagsfanforlife
03-30-2015, 08:58 AM
Plus I think Draino can really shine last year. I expect a very solid year from him, and do expect we might see him start at the 2.

Reborn
03-30-2015, 09:52 AM
No big deal at all, but SMU is in Dallas, not Houston. We will return to Houston for the Final Four.

I seriously doubt that the 35-3 record will be matched, but we can be better with more losses. The early season tourney will not be washed out like this years one. We have those Pac teams at home, a great opportunity to make an early statement.

I think Pepp will really challenge next year. Not sure about the rest of the conference. BYU could be strong again. I'm worried about SMC. I hope they stay at the high level.

What tourney is Gonzaga in next year, and who are the teams in it?

gonzagafan62
03-30-2015, 09:55 AM
What tourney is Gonzaga in next year, and who are the teams in it?

Check the 2015/16 schedule thread Reborn. Its all listed there for you.

CDC84
03-30-2015, 10:16 AM
I think if Josh Perkins had played this entire year I would have less concerns about next year's team, which will still be awfully good.

Again, I would be very surprised if the staff doesn't bring in a high quality graduate transfer. Probably a guard/wing who can shoot it from distance. Next year's team doesn't have a perimeter who you look at and think, "this guy is guaranteed to hit 43% from three.

Reborn
03-30-2015, 10:41 AM
I think if Josh Perkins had played this entire year I would have less concerns about next year's team, which will still be awfully good.

Again, I would be very surprised if the staff doesn't bring in a high quality graduate transfer. Probably a guard/wing who can shoot it from distance. Next year's team doesn't have a perimeter who you look at and think, "this guy is guaranteed to hit 43% from three.

Yes. We do need a guard. We are losing two very good ones. Perkins is definitely one of those, and, imo Melson is the other. If there is a fantastic three point shooter out there, and one who is a bona fide shooter, then let's get him to commit. It seems that I have read that Alberts is a good shooter.