View Full Version : Seattle PI: 'Big bust' blown out of proportion

TheZagPhish
02-16-2007, 09:18 AM
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/moore/303911_moore16.html

Friday, February 16, 2007

Go 2 Guy: 'Big bust' blown out of proportion

By JIM MOORE
P-I COLUMNIST

Man am I glad those menaces to society have been suspended by Gonzaga.

When you get caught with ### and psychedelic mushrooms in your rig, something must be done, and something was.

What in the world were Josh Heytvelt and Theo Davis thinking? These kids had the audacity to drive around with mushrooms in Heytvelt's gym bag and a joint in Davis' pocket.

Their juvenile behavior has severely impacted the Bulldogs as they attempt to earn a ninth consecutive trip to the NCAA Tournament. But isn't it time to say enough already?

This whole deal started last Friday night when Heytvelt's Chevrolet TrailBlazer was stopped in Cheney because he either forgot to turn on his taillights or they weren't working.

In the Go 2 Guy's twisted take, that was their first mistake. Attracting an officer's attention by having burned-out bulbs, especially with drugs in your possession, is the dumbest thing these kids did.

Another part of the story I don't get -- the police report said a bag of dried mushrooms was found protruding from the top of Heytvelt's gym bag in the back seat.

If I'm Heytvelt, as soon as I see blue lights in my rear-view mirror, the first thing I'm doing is "un-protruding" my mushrooms by stuffing them deep into my bag, underneath my sneakers and practice jersey and zipping the whole damn thing shut. That just seems like a Foreign-Substance Fundamental 101.

Had he done that, the officer might not have made another troubling discovery in Heytvelt's bag -- three foil-wrapped brownie muffins that allegedly contained hallucinogenic mushrooms.

Which made me wonder about more things. Mushrooms in brownies? Never heard that one before. ### yes, mushrooms no.

Were they store-bought Betty Crocker muffins or homegrown, I mean, homemade. Wrapped in foil? Were they out of baggies?

I shouldn't make light of this terrible ordeal because it's very serious stuff, but I can't help it. Yes, they should have known that drug use is a violation of team rules, but they're kids, they screwed up, they've paid the price, in Heytvelt's case by missing two games.

As far as I know, it's a first offense. Their scorned names have been in headlines all over the place the past week. Every day it's something else: Will they or will they not be charged? What will the crime lab reveal, that they were actually mushroom-laced Pillsbury muffins?

I'm sick enough to be amused by every detail. When coach Mark Few first heard about the incident, he had feelings of "shock, awe and the utter lowest level of disappointment you could ever get to."

Really, Mark, from a couple of players found with marijuana and mushrooms? There have to be lower levels of disappointment than that.

Then he's quoted as saying: "When you're involved in a program like this, the ramifications are worldwide."

Yeah, right, over in the Netherlands where you can legally buy psychedelic mushrooms, they're laughing if they've even heard about it at all.

Another crack Wikipedia research effort by the Go 2 Guy shows that psychedelic mushrooms were legal in Japan until 2002, legal in the United Kingdom until 2005 and legal in Ireland until last year.

In Florida, you can still legally possess psilocybin mushrooms that grow wild. In case they throw you out of Spokane, Josh, you might want to become a Gator.

Yes, here in Washington those magic mushrooms are felonious goods, and I know I'm missing the point, that kids shouldn't do drugs, period, particularly when they're part of a team. It's a privilege, not a right, and so on. But kids do do drugs.

I'm not going to condone Heytvelt's and Davis' actions, but at the same time, haven't they been punished enough? Reinstate Heytvelt in time for Saturday's game against eighth-ranked Memphis and allow Davis to be a member of the team again.

It is said that users of psychedelic mushrooms lose touch with reality. And in some cases non-users do, too.

zagster318
02-16-2007, 09:30 AM
I concur with his assessment.

TM27
02-16-2007, 09:33 AM
It is said that users of psychedelic mushrooms lose touch with reality. And in some cases non-users do, too.

That is hilarious. This entire article is funny, because Jim Moore states my exact questions when I first heard this story break. I think my thought process went like this:

1. Oh Sh*T!!!!
2. Wait the mushrooms were hanging out his bag? OMG why didn't he stuff them to the bottom.
3. Wait mushrooms in brownies - never heard of it - holy crap that sounds freaking nasty.
4. Hold on the half smoked joint was in his breast pocket - why the hell didn't he throw it out of the window?
5. Wait the break lights were off - which normally means the head lights are off? (I realize now that some cars require you to turn both on separately)
6. Wait they were driving around at 12:00 in freaking Cheney,WA with the lights off --- okay that confirms it they were high!
7. OMG they spent the night in jail, .... high on mushrooms!
8. They will never do mushrooms again! As that might be the worst "trip" I have ever heard of.

Now everyone breathe, I am only writing down my initial thoughts. It appears that neither Josh nor Theo were actually high, which makes the above exactly what it is - - - nonsense. I wish the best for Josh, Theo and their families and hope that the decisions they make at 19 and 21 years, do not affect the rest of their lives.

TheZagPhish
02-16-2007, 09:54 AM
Here's the thing, and if you've had psilocybin mushrooms you know this -- mushrooms taste like... well, you know. Like the substance they're often found in! Nasty. If they're moist they're chewy, gag-inducing, foul smelling and extraordinarily difficult to choke down. If they're dry it's even worse, crunching up into little clouds of dust with a concentrated, head-twitchingly foul flavor.

So mushrooms are often mixed with something powerful in flavor and with enough viscosity to coat the palate -- fudge, peanut butter and brownies are popular choices.

While it's so surprising to media scribes, mushrooms in brownies is actually - at least among the purveyors and users of the fungus - quite common.

(TheZagPhish has a modicum of exposure to the 'shroomin crowd from his days following Phish, though his preference is for morels)

Zagquette
02-16-2007, 10:00 AM
ZagPhish? So its not just a clever name.

Peace

spkngrl
02-16-2007, 10:03 AM
That is hilarious. This entire article is funny, because Jim Moore states my exact questions when I first heard this story break. I think my thought process went like this:

1. Oh Sh*T!!!!
2. Wait the mushrooms were hanging out his bag? OMG why didn't he stuff them to the bottom.
3. Wait mushrooms in brownies - never heard of it - holy crap that sounds freaking nasty.
4. Hold on the half smoked joint was in his breast pocket - why the hell didn't he throw it out of the window?
5. Wait the break lights were off - which normally means the head lights are off? (I realize now that some cars require you to turn both on separately)
6. Wait they were driving around at 12:00 in freaking Cheney,WA with the lights off --- okay that confirms it they were high!
7. OMG they spent the night in jail high on mushrooms!
8. They will never do mushrooms again, as that might be the worst trip I have ever heard of.

Just had to get this out there, your brain process had me laughing so hard my abs have started to hurt. Especially point 8. :D

I can't say I was in the least bit surprised by the ###, seeing as my roommates regularly bring back high and drunk (crunk) hockey players (why these juniors and seniors come back to a freshman dorm is beyond me). It was the shrooms that had me baffled, though I know there are still people who do them.

jayray
02-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Leave it to a liberal writer in Seattle to show this story for what it really is. People here are too busy swimming in their conservative pool of waste to see this story for what it really is. Their only mistake was getting caught. And before you ask - No, I am not concerned with the drug use of these players. They are not going to become derelicts of society or need drug counseling later in life - they are college kids experimenting with Mary J and mushrooms. Big Whoop. Even if it effects their play on the court - that is their decision - not yours or mine.

TheZagPhish
02-16-2007, 10:22 AM
ZagPhish? So its not just a clever name.

I suppose not, Zagquette. All the great handles already out there made me feel decidedly unclever, so I went with two authentic passions - Zags' ball and music. I almost went with CloakandZagger, but the truth is I'm not all that spy-like.

a13coach
02-16-2007, 12:08 PM
... Their only mistake was getting caught. ...

You are wrong. Violating team rules is another mistake whether they got caught by authorities or not. And we can save the conversation about whether or not using drugs is a mistake for later on the OCC board.

zaglawdad
02-16-2007, 12:15 PM
Thank you a13coach!!! Someone needed to put things in perspective and you did just that.

jayray
02-16-2007, 12:55 PM
Oh no! The horror of being out at Cheney at midnight. And smoking a joint no less! The world is coming to an end! The game on Saturday was at 5pm. Even if they stayed out till 3am, they could have still gotten over 12 hours of sleep. I am not a fan of Josh at all (see my posts in the memphis poll thread) - but obviously you were too busy studying during college to have fun on a Friday night - there is no way you could relate to these kids.

zagfever86
02-16-2007, 01:38 PM
I agree with this article 100%.

tobizag
02-16-2007, 01:40 PM
jayray,

at the division 1 level, the athletes don't show up at the arena 5 minutes prior to the start of the game...preparations take place all day. so no, they couldn't have had 12 hours of sleep. Besides that, whether they like it or not, they were breaking team policy by being out late.

On top of that, it wasn't just a joint...there were shrooms in Josh's bag, and that being a felony, makes it a little more serious.

I feel like I've said all this before...

jayray
02-16-2007, 02:24 PM
jayray,

at the division 1 level, the athletes don't show up at the arena 5 minutes prior to the start of the game...preparations take place all day. so no, they couldn't have had 12 hours of sleep. Besides that, whether they like it or not, they were breaking team policy by being out late.

On top of that, it wasn't just a joint...there were shrooms in Josh's bag, and that being a felony, makes it a little more serious.

I feel like I've said all this before...

It was midnight - 17 HOURS before the game. And since you are such an expert on team policy can you please quote for us what the team policy is? "being out late" seems a bit too vague to properly conform to.

Go live in Seattle for while with the guy that wrote this article or better yet go live near Haight Ashbury for a while and enlighten yourself. You've been in Spokane too long.

ZagPhD
02-16-2007, 02:32 PM
Because reaching into the backseat to "rearrange" your belongings in a more discreet manner isn't going to direct any attention from the cops. They love when you do that - that's the kind of stuff that'll get officers to approach your car with guns drawn. And they sure as heck are gonna check the bag you just stuffed a whole bunch of unknown items into - especially when they smell weed coming from the car.

If this guy was trying to be sarcastic. It was lost on me...

lothar98zag
02-16-2007, 02:35 PM
It was midnight - 17 HOURS before the game. And since you are such an expert on team policy can you please quote for us what the team policy is? "being out late" seems a bit too vague to properly conform to.

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/zags/story.asp?ID=174489

"There are really three entities involved," he said. "There is the legal part of this, there's the school policy part of this and there's the (basketball) program, which, as leader of that program, is eventually my part of this."

Few said again that his decision to suspend Heytvelt and Davis was based on their violation of team policy rather than the drug possession charges.

"They're suspended indefinitely because they violated the internal code of our program's essence," he said, "which is, 'What in the heck were you doing out late at night in a bad place the night before a game?'

"And we still haven't moved past that."

If that explanation isn't good enough for you, then I guess you can discuss the issue w/ Few.

tobizag
02-16-2007, 02:37 PM
thank you lothar, I was looking for that article.

and for what is worth jayray, I lived half my life in LA, and half my life in Tacoma...please don't tell me what I have done too much of or where I've been for too long. I don't know anything about you, and vice versa. So don't assume.

jayray
02-16-2007, 04:01 PM
thank you lothar, I was looking for that article.

and for what is worth jayray, I lived half my life in LA, and half my life in Tacoma...please don't tell me what I have done too much of or where I've been for too long. I don't know anything about you, and vice versa. So don't assume.

Why would someone who has lived half their live in L.A. and half there life in Tacoma (and thus never lived in Spokane) take such an active interest in the Zags and Josh to come here and post 190 times in less than one month on a Gonzaga message board?

lothar98zag
02-16-2007, 04:21 PM
Why would someone...come here and post...on a Gonzaga message board?

Same reason as you, because they can.

tobizag
02-16-2007, 08:39 PM
I don't qualify being a student at GU as "living" in Spokane.

ZagPants
02-16-2007, 09:30 PM
I don't qualify being a student at GU as "living" in Spokane.

If you can't sing along with "Summertime in the 509" you aint never been a Spokie!

Zag79
02-21-2007, 10:50 AM
im in full agreement with the article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray
... Their only mistake was getting caught. ...

You are wrong. Violating team rules is another mistake whether they got caught by authorities or not. And we can save the conversation about whether or not using drugs is a mistake for later on the OCC board.

and again, very true. this is nothing new to the players nor program. getting caught is. it might shock the general fan but anyone with ties to the program or players wouldnt be. but to follow that up, i am dissapointed they went to cheney at midnight, and they deserve what they get. IMO dont until next season. an apology, some community service and be done with it.

Bulldog
02-21-2007, 03:35 PM
:) :) Guilty in court or not I think Josh better dress warm cause he's goin to be playin BB in Alaska tomorrow. By the way, weed is legal there and it's too cold to grow shrooms so better take his own.

bulldogshawn
02-21-2007, 04:00 PM

Go live in Seattle for while with the guy that wrote this article or better yet go live near Haight Ashbury for a while and enlighten yourself. You've been in Spokane too long.

I'm not going to pretend to know what team policy is, but I can tell you that the team has a morning shoot around before every game. I believe it is usually around 9am, but that is when the games are at 9pm, so it could be different as that game was at 5pm.

At some point, you have to realize that these players are responsible for their actions. People like yourself who continually cut them more slack and even excuse this behavior will only lead to further problems within the program. At what point is it not OK? What if it were the night before the national championship and Josh was out on the streets of Atlanta with p.ot and shrooms? Would that have been OK with you, because the national championship game isn't played early in the day?

If you can't sing along with "Summertime in the 509" you aint never been a Spokie!

I'll just say it now, most GU students would be happy to NOT be considered a "spokie"

Symi81
02-22-2007, 12:19 AM
This article illustrates the contrast in the mentality of Seattle vs Spokane. The media has been hyping this story like the players were involved with an assult or something. In Seattle if you get pulled over and smell like chronic the cop might not even say anything (probably depends what you look like). Recreational herb use is legal in Seattle. There is no chance Davis would be charged with MJ in King County!

Zag79
02-22-2007, 12:30 PM
symi, you make a good point about spokane and seatlle in comparison to this case.

UberZagFan
02-22-2007, 12:38 PM
There is no chance Davis would be charged with MJ in King County!
Where's Lothar's sig line when you need it?

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/3692/60x60jessicaalbawg9.jpg

http://3gold.com/pictures/avatar/11.gif