PDA

View Full Version : Edwards role next year?

tyra
03-29-2015, 07:48 PM
Assuming KW comes back (I do), what will Ryan Edwards' role be next year. He has been under Travis Knight's excellent tutelage. He had already demonstrated some nice hands and good court vision. We're not losing any big men. So, how does Ryan fit in?

adoptedzag
03-29-2015, 08:08 PM
Assuming KW comes back (I do), what will Ryan Edwards' role be next year. He has been under Travis Knight's excellent tutelage. He had already demonstrated some nice hands and good court vision. We're not losing any big men. So, how does Ryan fit in?

Can he take another redshirt year? :) haha No, I see Sabonis sliding over to the 4 full time.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-29-2015, 08:57 PM
Unless someone leaves, his role will be about the same as it was thus year.

Ekrub
03-29-2015, 09:33 PM
Jenks, Melson, Wiltjer, sabonis, Karnowski. I think he gets minutes spelling karnowski, slide wiltjer to the the 4 to spell sabonis. We have length, hope we use it.

ZagsGoZags
03-30-2015, 12:49 AM
its hard to imagine wiltjer coming in off the bench

Zagger
03-30-2015, 02:01 AM
I replied to the ranking/seeding prediction thread with 12/3 - assuming KW is a Zag next season. The more I ponder next season though the more I feel that there are too many ifs. I don't know where Wiltjer is with his degree. I also do not have an idea of how good Edwards will be. My feelings are from seeing his play thus far, things Few has said about practices, a year to train,etc., is that he'll be quite good. But .... next season is a ways off and lots can happen with the current Zags roster (not that I think it will - just think I'll bow out from predicting too much until this Fall).

Hoopaholic
03-30-2015, 06:42 AM
Jenks, Melson, Wiltjer, sabonis, Karnowski. I think he gets minutes spelling karnowski, slide wiltjer to the the 4 to spell sabonis. We have length, hope we use it.

This IF Sabonis works on his mid range jump shot would be a powerful lineup

The triangles that would be created with this lineup would be very very difficult to defend and Jenkins ability to penetrate will create a different unique dynamic with the bigs holding position

LongIslandZagFan
03-30-2015, 06:45 AM
Think you see lineup/reserve like this:

Perkins/EMac
Draino/Melson
Witljer/Alberts
Sabonis/Wiltjer
Mt. Karno/Edwards

KW leaving would not be smart on his part... he is projected second round... next year.

Draino played major minutes last night and held his own... He will get major minutes next year.

Zagcity
03-30-2015, 06:50 AM

Perkins/EMac
Draino/Melson
Witljer/Alberts
Sabonis/Wiltjer
Mt. Karno/Edwards

KW leaving would not be smart on his part... he is projected second round... next year.

You beat me to it, but I agree whole heartedly

SWZag
03-30-2015, 06:51 AM

Perkins/EMac
Draino/Melson
Witljer/Alberts
Sabonis/Wiltjer
Mt. Karno/Edwards

Draino played major minutes last night and held his own... He will get major minutes next year.

That's a pretty stellar team. And that doesn't include those coming in!

LongIslandZagFan
03-30-2015, 06:51 AM
I actually love the idea of putting Kyle at the 3 at times... just a total mismatch for just about every single team.

LongIslandZagFan
03-30-2015, 06:54 AM
That's a pretty stellar team. And that doesn't include those coming in!

Only 2015 is Jesse Wade who will be on mission until 2017.

Going to have to be transfers.

Birddog
03-30-2015, 07:00 AM
I think Edwards will get 12 to 15 mins a game. There will be fully 10 players that see minutes on a regular basis.

Ezag
03-30-2015, 08:20 AM
its hard to imagine wiltjer coming in off the bench

Yah, there is no way KW is coming off the bench

LongIslandZagFan
03-30-2015, 08:22 AM

KW will spend time at the 3 along with the 4 like this year. Edwards offers the depth to move him out of the post where he was needed this year.

Zagceo
03-30-2015, 08:25 AM
This IF Sabonis works on his mid range jump shot would be a powerful lineup

The triangles that would be created with this lineup would be very very difficult to defend and Jenkins ability to penetrate will create a different unique dynamic with the bigs holding position

Just a thought to changing up looks on defense………..what type of zones would suite our roster assuming everybody comes back?

strikenowhere
03-30-2015, 08:32 AM
KW will spend time at the 3 along with the 4 like this year. Edwards offers the depth to move him out of the post where he was needed this year.

I really don't believe Wiltjer (if he does come back) would be playing the 3. Offensively it would be great, as having a 6'11", 6'11", 7'1" front court would be amazing. However, he had a hard enough time guarding athletic 4's as he is below average speed-wise; the defense would suffer immensely as any 3 with a modicum of speed would cause all sorts of havoc on the defensive end. If your logic was true, wouldn't we have already seen it this year instead of redshirting Edwards? If anything, Nunez probably would have fit the position better as he has the athleticism to do so (but didn't have few's trust).

LongIslandZagFan
03-30-2015, 08:37 AM
I really don't believe Wiltjer (if he does come back) would be playing the 3. Offensively it would be great, as having a 6'11", 6'11", 7'1" front court would be amazing. However, he had a hard enough time guarding athletic 4's as he is below average speed-wise; the defense would suffer immensely as any 3 with a modicum of speed would cause all sorts of havoc on the defensive end. If your logic was true, wouldn't we have already seen it this year instead of redshirting Edwards? If anything, Nunez probably would have fit the position better as he has the athleticism to do so (but didn't have few's trust).

Without the depth in the front line. I think he will split time between 3 and 4. It is going to be impossible to keep Sabonis off the floor. Depending on matchups the lineup would likely be fluid... but this year you didn't see it because there is little depth down low.

Zagdawg
03-30-2015, 08:43 AM
We would be playing a lot of zone if we had Wiltjer at the 3 ---great offensively --but defensively the opposing team would attack him every possession ----unless he can get his footwork/speed up enough to be acceptable (a 6'4" guy is going to be too fast for him to guard). He would have 2 fouls within 3-5 mins and be sitting the rest of the 1st half.

I like the idea of him at the 3--but I don't know how feasible it is with his defensive capabilities.

Zagceo
03-30-2015, 08:46 AM
In Edwards first year ……..IMO he showed flashes of really being a rim protector with an aggressiveness to impose his size at times with hard fouls in his limited minutes. I see Edwards , Przem and Domas taking this program to elite 8 again and hopefully beyond!

The sleeper is Alberts. How is he developing? I have high hopes for the young man.

Reborn
03-30-2015, 09:09 AM

Perkins/EMac
Draino/Melson
Witljer/Alberts
Sabonis/Wiltjer
Mt. Karno/Edwards

I think you got 'er right LIZF. It's pretty cool to think of Wiltjer at the 3. Zags would be pretty big. And if we get Draino at the 2 he will fill in on defense for Gary Bell quite well. He's taller and very tough. Draino has come a long ways this year. I was really impressed with him. As good as Gonzaga is becoming on defense now, I think that the coaches will figure out how to defend.

Hoopaholic
03-30-2015, 10:13 AM
In Edwards first year ……..IMO he showed flashes of really being a rim protector with an aggressiveness to impose his size at times with hard fouls in his limited minutes. I see Edwards , Przem and Domas taking this program to elite 8 again and hopefully beyond!

The sleeper is Alberts. How is he developing? I have high hopes for the young man.

perfectly stated

Mr Vulture
03-30-2015, 10:43 AM
Any chance we can drop this "Jenks" when talking about Perkins some time soon?

In any case, I don't expect any of the three "bigs" leaving this year and I don't see Wiltjer playing much of the "3" on the floor due to the defensive liabilty that would create. I think the rotation is pretty straightforward for next year.

PG - Perkins
SG - Melson
W/SF - Dranginis
PF - Wiltjer
C - Karnowski

PF/C - Sabonis
PG/SG - McClellan
W/SF - Alberts
C - Edwards

tyra
03-30-2015, 01:02 PM
I think I see it pretty much the same as Vulture. And I think that means Edwards' minutes are going to be fairly limited. After all, if you assume (as I do and most posters here) that the Bigs all come back, then you're simply taking from then to give Ryan minutes. If you assume Angel leaves, there are some very limited spot minutes. The rest is all deductive and I am not sure why we would want any of our three Bigs on the floor less if we could help it.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-30-2015, 01:35 PM
Edwards won't play much until his fourth year on campus. That's okay. By then, he will have spent three years developing his skills in practices against Dower, Karno, Sabonis, and Wiltjer and three years developing his body under Coach Knight.

He will be a dominant beast for his last two years on campus.

willandi
03-30-2015, 01:43 PM
As most posters, I think Edwards will be the back-up center behind Karno. I think he will get at least 15 min/game to rest Karno and could see ways to get even more, depending on foul trouble. Imagine the "Twin Towers" with both Karno and Edwards in! I wouldn't expect to see that very often, but it could happen.

Also, Edwards showed a good touch from the FT line. At the end of games, I could see him in, unless Karno gets his average up to 75%. I expect great things out of him, and see him starting at center his last 2 years. That would put Sabonis and Wiltjer at the 4 next year, Sabonis and Collins (not sure that's the right name...the 6' 11" commit) at the 4 the year after, and after that I guess the Zags need to get some size inside! LOL

ZagLawGrad
03-30-2015, 01:48 PM
As most posters, I think Edwards will be the back-up center behind Karno. I think he will get at least 15 min/game to rest Karno and could see ways to get even more, depending on foul trouble. Imagine the "Twin Towers" with both Karno and Edwards in! I wouldn't expect to see that very often, but it could happen.

Also, Edwards showed a good touch from the FT line. At the end of games, I could see him in, unless Karno gets his average up to 75%. I expect great things out of him, and see him starting at center his last 2 years. That would put Sabonis and Wiltjer at the 4 next year, Sabonis and Collins (not sure that's the right name...the 6' 11" commit) at the 4 the year after, and after that I guess the Zags need to get some size inside! LOL

Karno and Edwards. Nice ring to it.

Hoopaholic
03-30-2015, 02:18 PM
Edwards won't play much until his fourth year on campus. That's okay. By then, he will have spent three years developing his skills in practices against Dower, Karno, Sabonis, and Wiltjer and three years developing his body under Coach Knight.

He will be a dominant beast for his last two years on campus.

define "wont play much"....less than 5 min per game? I see him getting 10-15 minute per game this NEXT year

mgadfly
03-30-2015, 02:57 PM
Everyone is talking about the zone and keeping all three bigs in, but with the mobility Sabonis showed late in the season and the mix and match defensive assignments (putting bigs on littles and littles on bigs) I wouldn't be shocked if we played Sabonis as the 4 on offense but allowed him to guard some 3's in man to man.

I really hope Edwards gets at least 10 mpg.

Hoopaholic
03-30-2015, 03:40 PM
Everyone is talking about the zone and keeping all three bigs in, but with the mobility Sabonis showed late in the season and the mix and match defensive assignments (putting bigs on littles and littles on bigs) I wouldn't be shocked if we played Sabonis as the 4 on offense but allowed him to guard some 3's in man to man.

I really hope Edwards gets at least 10 mpg.

very good point....he showed his ability to cover many 3's but was held back (assuming) to be kept out of foul trouble

spike_jr
03-30-2015, 03:50 PM
The biggest problem with Sabonis guarding the other team's 3 is that it would take him away from the basket and reduce his rebounding opportunities. As he is our best rebounder, I believe we want him where he is most effective.

Hoopaholic
03-30-2015, 03:52 PM
The biggest problem with Sabonis guarding the other team's 3 is that it would take him away from the basket and reduce his rebounding opportunities. As he is our best rebounder, I believe we want him where he is most effective.

sure didn't impact Draino's ability to get rebounds.....I actually think with his motor and footwork it would give him some new angles to attack the glass from ..he is far more skilled than simply turning and rebounding IMO

zag buddy
03-30-2015, 03:58 PM
I think you all are underestimating his skill level. I believe you all have a pleasant suprise coming next season. I will let you know for sure when I see some summer practices.

ZAGLAWQB
03-30-2015, 04:01 PM
Let's assume: 1) Ryan will need more work on his feet to get some experience rhythm.
2) He will develop defensively if told to use his fouls/minutes(10-15)...."Nobody comes into your house and scores
within 6 feet of the hoop--fouling out may set a "persona" that benefits him in the long run.
3) It will be clear that he is an excellent 12-15 foot shooter and all he has to do is square up, compose himself, and
shoot a soft jumper---almost like shooting a free throw.
4) Periodic zone defense with front lines of 3 bigs can give KW a blow,
while on offense Karno and Edwards play a high-low game with Sabonis working the paint using Shem as his
"on the block" decoy...
Options are endless without letting the 3 burn the house down.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-30-2015, 09:37 PM
Any chance we can drop this "Jenks" when talking about Perkins some time soon?

In any case, I don't expect any of the three "bigs" leaving this year and I don't see Wiltjer playing much of the "3" on the floor due to the defensive liabilty that would create. I think the rotation is pretty straightforward for next year.

PG - Perkins
SG - Melson
W/SF - Dranginis
PF - Wiltjer
C - Karnowski

PF/C - Sabonis
PG/SG - McClellan
W/SF - Alberts
C - Edwards

Spot on Mr Vulture.
I don't like the "Jenks" misnomer either...

Hoopaholic
03-30-2015, 09:40 PM
Let's assume: 1) Ryan will need more work on his feet to get some experience rhythm.
2) He will develop defensively if told to use his fouls/minutes(10-15)...."Nobody comes into your house and scores
within 6 feet of the hoop--fouling out may set a "persona" that benefits him in the long run.
3) It will be clear that he is an excellent 12-15 foot shooter and all he has to do is square up, compose himself, and
shoot a soft jumper---almost like shooting a free throw.
4) Periodic zone defense with front lines of 3 bigs can give KW a blow,
while on offense Karno and Edwards play a high-low game with Sabonis working the paint using Shem as his
"on the block" decoy...

item 3 makes him different than sabonis or karnowski on the high low option no team can drop off him at the free throw line

jchocolate99
03-30-2015, 10:55 PM
Spot on Mr Vulture.
I don't like the "Jenks" misnomer either...

I concur with the Jenks thing too makes me cringe everytime I see it

Birddog
03-31-2015, 03:33 AM
I concur with the Jenks thing too makes me cringe everytime I see it

Well I might as well chime in. I'm not a fan either. Use the kids real name, show a little more respect. I use his correct name and will continue to use his correct name. It was a humorous gaffe at first but the novelty is long gone IMO.

willandi
03-31-2015, 06:53 AM
2) He will develop defensively if told to use his fouls/minutes(10-15)...."Nobody comes into your house and scores within 6 feet of the hoop--fouling out may set a "persona" that benefits him in the long run.
3) It will be clear that he is an excellent 12-15 foot shooter and all he has to do is square up, compose himself, and shoot a soft jumper---almost like shooting a free throw.
4) Periodic zone defense with front lines of 3 bigs can give KW a blow, while on offense Karno and Edwards play a high-low game with Sabonis working the paint using Shem as his "on the block" decoy...

and from Hoop: 'item 3 makes him different than sabonis or karnowski on the high low option no team can drop off him at the free throw line'

It would really become an amazing high/low, double pick and roll, double pick and pop...it opens up many new things, gives the outside shooters a lot of opportunity.

Zag Man
03-31-2015, 09:39 AM

Kyle is one of the best players in the country and he will be a full-time starter next year. I expect him to be a 1st Team All-American next season.

Domas was great this season and will be even better next year. He will sub for both PK and Kyle. Unless Ryan Edwards has improved remarkably, I expect him to get limited minutes next year. This is just too good a front-line to penetrate!

jazzdelmar
03-31-2015, 09:51 AM
Eddie looked more and more doughy as the season wore on. I hope he gets ahold of his weight situation. He surely has skills.

Zagceo
03-31-2015, 12:47 PM
Eddie looked more and more doughy as the season wore on. I hope he gets ahold of his weight situation. He surely has skills.

Latest pic of Edwards………I'm hoping for some definition under that button down. I can't wait to see him next year!

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/ceo_500/Screen%20Shot%202015-03-31%20at%209.24.34%20AM_zpsxyjjpn3a.png

Bogozags
03-31-2015, 01:14 PM

LIZF I agree, he appears as if he is "tweener"...which is most likely why he is projected as a second rounder...will another year at GU help him improve his lateral quickness?

LongIslandZagFan
03-31-2015, 01:25 PM
LIZF I agree, he appears as if he is "tweener"...which is most likely why he is projected as a second rounder...will another year at GU help him improve his lateral quickness?

I don't think it would hurt. He could also bulk up a touch more. But nobody, I mean nobody, that I have ever heard of leaves to go play in Europe.

MickMick
03-31-2015, 01:33 PM
Wiltjer, Sabonis rotate at 4.
Karnowski, Edwards rotate at 5.

Fouls to give and everyone gets playing time.
I don't see the dilemma here.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-31-2015, 01:57 PM
I'd bet most of my savings that Wiltjer doesn't start at the 3 next year. He's just not quick enough to guard perimeter-oriented players. And, as a more basic principle, why have your All-American PF play any other position than PF? IMO, Domas comes off the bench again and plays 20-25 minutes a game.

Zagceo
03-31-2015, 02:07 PM
I'd bet most of my savings that Wiltjer doesn't start at the 3 next year. He's just not quick enough to guard perimeter-oriented players. And, as a more basic principle, why have your All-American PF play any other position than PF? IMO, Domas comes off the bench again and plays 20-25 minutes a game.

I bet all of my savings Domas starts next year! ;)

Zagdawg
03-31-2015, 02:50 PM
Would he start over the all american senior or the other senior center?

Not sure that would happen.

Hoopaholic
03-31-2015, 03:34 PM

so why have an all American sit on the bench?

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-31-2015, 05:54 PM
so why have an all American sit on the bench?

He won't. He'll get plenty of minutes, particularly late in games. He just won't start, IMO.

Elias Harris was better suited to play the 3 than Wiltjer, and that plan failed miserably.

Baseline
03-31-2015, 10:44 PM
I expect Ryan to challenge PK for the most playing time as I think he will put up bigger numbers. It should be interesting.
A high low game of PK and Edwards would be fun.

WallaWallaZag
04-01-2015, 10:11 AM
why does most everyone think that playing the bigs together means wiltjer at the 3? ...if it happens it will most likely be sabonis, especially from a defensive standpoint even though zags will zone.

as far as edwards goes, i have no idea...few mentioned that he needs better focus at times during the season but also played very well at times, so who knows?

HenneZag
04-01-2015, 10:17 AM
There are times when I can see Wiltjer/Sabonis/Karn out there together in stretches perhaps but I don't see Wiltjer playing the 3 all too often. Edwards will provide some depth and allow Few to play around with the lineup a bit more next year.

It will be interesting to see how Edwards develops. I like what I saw in stretches last season, great touch with both hands around the basket, although a bit unorthadox, good FT shooter.

Zagarooskis
04-01-2015, 10:28 AM
I love the idea of having Wiltjer, Karno and Sabonis in there at the same time. I think we could see a lot more 2-3 zone from Few and staff, if we decided to go with Wiltjer/Sabonis at the 3. Just imagine rotating in Edwards and Karno in there to clog up the paint!

mgadfly
04-01-2015, 11:16 AM
Offensively, I don't think it matters what you call Wiltjer as long as we make a focused effort to get him the ball on the block if the other team puts a "3" on him (for whatever reason including we have two bigger guys out there).

Defensively, I don't think Wiltjer can play a lot of the smaller, quicker 3's we see man to man. Maybe Sabonis on a few of them. So he has to be the 4 or we have to be in a zone (in which case the 3 and 4 have the same responsibilities so it doesn't matter what you call them) unless the other team has a non-scorer at the 3.

I hope we see a big line up for 5 or 6 minutes per game. That way (1) the other team has to spend time game planning for it; (2) Edwards is the benefactor getting 5 or 6 minutes in addition to the 5 or so he'll get as the fourth big; (3) while we'd have problems guarding the 3, I think putting a three on Wiltjer and letting us isolate him would be a huge mistake for teams. But Few, who used to run a ton of zone, has gone away from it in recent years, so I'm not really expecting it to happen.

IowaSERE
04-01-2015, 12:07 PM
I love the idea of all 3 on the floor at the same time as well. Everyone mentioning how KW will guard a quick SF, but how does a SF guard KW? Make the other team adjust. No team in the country can match up with us at 6-10, 6-11, and 7-1. DS can guard a 3 if needed. Put your best 5 players on the floor and make the other team try to match up against us instead of the other way around.

Chicken Ball
04-01-2015, 12:43 PM
Obviously, the solution is to start Edwards at the 5 and Karnowski at the 4, with Sabonis at the 3 and Wiltjer at the 2. So what if wings would run circles around Wiltjer and Sabonis? How would they guard us at the other end?

I also hear the staff is recruiting the Space Needle to play point guard.

Bouldin4Prez
04-01-2015, 01:19 PM
I think a lot of you guys fail to realize what makes Wiltjer special on offense. Wiltjer operates best with room to make moves on the low block and catching and shooting from 3. He is not a dribble drive kind of guy. The way Wiltjer plays on offense requires SPACING. With KW, DS, and PK on the court at the same time the offense has absolutely no spacing. In fact, Few's whole offense is predicated on spacing which is why you will never see that lineup. This board complained continuously about Mike Hart, David Stockton, Goodson, etc. because they couldn't shoot and their man was able to sag off. What did this cause? A lack of spacing. If DS and PK showed the ability to step out and knock down an 18 foot jump shot consistently, then maybe we would see that lineup. Until then, get used to the fact that you will never see those 3 thrown out there simultaneously.

Zagceo
04-01-2015, 01:29 PM
I think a lot of you guys fail to realize what makes Wiltjer special on offense. Wiltjer operates best with room to make moves on the low block and catching and shooting from 3. He is not a dribble drive kind of guy. The way Wiltjer plays on offense requires SPACING. With KW, DS, and PK on the court at the same time the offense has absolutely no spacing. In fact, Few's whole offense is predicated on spacing which is why you will never see that lineup. This board complained continuously about Mike Hart, David Stockton, Goodson, etc. because they couldn't shoot and their man was able to sag off. What did this cause? A lack of spacing. If DS and PK showed the ability to step out and knock down an 18 foot jump shot consistently, then maybe we would see that lineup. Until then, get used to the fact that you will never see those 3 thrown out there simultaneously.

Watching Wisc at Staples Center I'd say our 3 three bigs would do just fine together against teams like Badgers.

WallaWallaZag
04-01-2015, 06:24 PM
Watching Wisc at Staples Center I'd say our 3 three bigs would do just fine together against teams like Badgers.

problem is that kentucky is the only other team like the badgers...able to start 3 bigs together...and it works because dekker and wcs can guard almost anyone in college. don't think sabonis is athletic enough...

gonzagafan62
04-01-2015, 07:39 PM
why does most everyone think that playing the bigs together means wiltjer at the 3? ...if it happens it will most likely be sabonis, especially from a defensive standpoint even though zags will zone.

as far as edwards goes, i have no idea...few mentioned that he needs better focus at times during the season but also played very well at times, so who knows?

I think it would be a huge advantage if Sabonis developed a mid range game. Kyle may not be able to guard everyone at the three but he can corner them or take them to their off hand. He's obviously not fast enough to cover every single three guard or anything and we'd probably see him get beat a lot but our help defense is outstanding. I think it would work out perfectly and our front line would be a bunch of trees. It's pretty hard to shoot over trees.

Zagceo
04-01-2015, 09:25 PM

3 in Kentucky

http://youtu.be/jExTRs5VeIQ

ZagaZags
04-02-2015, 12:18 AM
Ryan Edwards needs to be patient for 1 more season, he will tear it up in the 2016-2017 season. Sam Dower was more than patient during his career. ( That didn't go unnoticed.)

I know for a fact Ryan's mom reads GU Boards and I want her to know, I think the world of him. Ryan is an absolute gem.

WallaWallaZag
04-02-2015, 05:35 AM
with some of the recent rumblings surround karnowski, who knows, maybe ryan will be pressed into duty sooner than expected...

Birddog
04-02-2015, 06:06 AM
with some of the recent rumblings surround karnowski, who knows, maybe ryan will be pressed into duty sooner than expected...

Yeah, everybody jump in and see if we can't crowd source a little hysteria here.

Hoopaholic
04-02-2015, 06:32 AM
Ryan Edwards needs to be patient for 1 more season, he will tear it up in the 2016-2017 season. Sam Dower was more than patient during his career. ( That didn't go unnoticed.)

I know for a fact Ryan's mom reads GU Boards and I want her to know, I think the world of him. Ryan is an absolute gem.

I second this. I am expecting big things from this great young man. Could be the most versatile, mobile big men we have had in years ....on both sides of the court and with his footwork would be a formable back line defender in a full or 3/4 press

Mr Vulture
04-02-2015, 10:49 AM
I have heard no rumblings about Karno and haven't see one draft expert think he is even close to the first round. If you aren't going to be a first rounder, why waste a year of development/eligibility.

zagamatic
04-03-2015, 03:51 PM
First off, we never really got to see what Edwards was really capable of his freshman year due to illness, etc and he still looked very impressive to me. Soft hands, soft touch, good feet and solid defense for a true freshman who was reshaping his physique. Personally,I think that he will challenge strongly for playing time against ALL of the other 3 bigs including Wiltjer.
And while I don't think we'll have the ability at positions 1-3, I certainly don't see why we couldn't do a platoon system with our bigs. Especially since I believe that Edwards will surprise most people with his range on his jumper. Start with Karnowski and Wiltjer, then bring in Edwards and Sabonis. This keeps CONSISTENT FOUL PRESSURE on opposing bigs as well as physically wearing them down. This means that we'd have fresh bigs who aren't in foul trouble for the last ten minutes of the game going against tired bigs who are in foul trouble. There simply are not many teams who can keep up with 4 future pros dominating the post.
This rotation also benefits the guards because they'll know that there's always a rim protector in the game to cover their mistakes which will allow them to take a few more risks and not have to commit silly fouls.
Of course,all of this is based on Wiltjer staying, which is the opposite of the consensus not too long ago.

sittingon50
04-03-2015, 08:11 PM
Yeah, everybody jump in and see if we can't crowd source a little hysteria here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN99jshaQbY

DixieZag
04-03-2015, 08:54 PM
It seems to me you start your best 5. So, I like to see the 3 bigs together to start. The idea being let the other team prove they have the wing advantage bigger than our scoring advantage. If they prove they do? Then go with 2 bigs and rotating them through.

I think Edwards will be the previously unknown gem Few is so good at getting.

I really hope we experiment and use a zone when working next year. So often it sounds like coaches think of man to man as a test of "manhood" and a zone as gimmicky. I want to win and could care less how we get there. I recall many times over the years shifting into a zone at critical points and immediately improving the defensive end.

jazzdelmar
04-04-2015, 04:05 AM
It seems to me you start your best 5. So, I like to see the 3 bigs together to start. The idea being let the other team prove they have the wing advantage bigger than our scoring advantage. If they prove they do? Then go with 2 bigs and rotating them through.

I think Edwards will be the previously unknown gem Few is so good at getting.

I really hope we experiment and use a zone when working next year. So often it sounds like coaches think of man to man as a test of "manhood" and a zone as gimmicky. I want to win and could care less how we get there. I recall many times over the years shifting into a zone at critical points and immediately improving the defensive end.

Best five not the prevailing philosophy. It's the most comfortable five. Never happen

DixieZag
04-04-2015, 05:00 AM
Best five not the prevailing philosophy. It's the most comfortable five. Never happen

I'd say seldom, not never. Changes occur in the first month sometimes. After that it is extremely seldom, and that is a little indicative b/c there are obviously times when a player is playing significantly better than the starter but b/c is younger or b/c of a refusal to "change" or "hurt" the starter. Though, he will dramatically shift playing time, negating much of that concern. Sean Mallon starting and spending near all the game on the bench is one example

Ekrub
04-04-2015, 07:50 AM
I'd say seldom, not never. Changes occur in the first month sometimes. After that it is extremely seldom, and that is a little indicative b/c there are obviously times when a player is playing significantly better than the starter but b/c is younger or b/c of a refusal to "change" or "hurt" the starter. Though, he will dramatically shift playing time, negating much of that concern. Sean Mallon starting and spending near all the game on the bench is one example

Stockton started a game before pangos stepped in.

DixieZag
04-04-2015, 07:58 AM
Stockton started a game before pangos stepped in.

True, one of those changes that can occur in the first month - then after that it is extremely seldom. I think everyone knew Pangos and Bell were destined to start Frosh year. My point was if by January, Few determines that a Junior or senior isn't playing as well as an up and coming Frosh/Soph, I can't recall a switch.

webspinnre
04-04-2015, 08:14 AM
Agreed - you don't want the best 5 individuals, you want the 5 individuals who give you the best team. Having three bigs, none of which have the lateral quickness to guard most opposing 3s (many of whom are really large combo guards) is not going to result in the best team. I think the biggest thing Edwards gives us is true depth, which results in the ability to give guys more rest when needed (one of the games Karno was absolutely gassed, but because of foul trouble we couldn't help him out). It means that Domas and Kyle can focus on playing the four with our two giants of men playing the 5, and it means more rest, and less foul trouble, and depth if someone has to miss a couple of games due to injury. I'm really excited to see the progress he's made this past year, as I loved much of what I saw last year.

jchocolate99
04-04-2015, 10:58 AM
Agreed - you don't want the best 5 individuals, you want the 5 individuals who give you the best team. Having three bigs, none of which have the lateral quickness to guard most opposing 3s (many of whom are really large combo guards) is not going to result in the best team. I think the biggest thing Edwards gives us is true depth, which results in the ability to give guys more rest when needed (one of the games Karno was absolutely gassed, but because of foul trouble we couldn't help him out). It means that Domas and Kyle can focus on playing the four with our two giants of men playing the 5, and it means more rest, and less foul trouble, and depth if someone has to miss a couple of games due to injury. I'm really excited to see the progress he's made this past year, as I loved much of what I saw last year.

This x 1000 This having the three bigs start needs to stop its not gonna happen on a fulltime basis... might we see it experimented with? MAYBE... but its not a recipe for success especially when we're talking about putting Wiltjer at the 3... thats disastrous cause he's not quick enough to guard the perimeter. We have four quality bigs that can sub in for each other and go hard without worrying too much about foul trouble... Just enjoy the wonderful depth up front that we're blessed with instead of trying to force starter minutes like an over indulgent kid stuffing his face with treats.

john montana
04-04-2015, 11:05 AM
Throw the numbers out the window...wiltjer wouldn't be a 3,4 or a 5 and he sure wouldn't have to chase small forwards though screens or off the dribble. If our three big start we would absolutely play a zone. A LONG zone. You would want to push out on the shooters, force the offense to dribble into the middle. When that happens they are heading right into a 7 footer with guys like KD and Perkins digging down on the drive. Syracuse has done it for years and if you have that length along the baseline it can be really effective. The defensive mismatches wouldn't be there in a zone as the entire defense would be designed to force drives and contested mid range shots. I would love to see it...I think our three bigs in a zone actually allows us to take advantage of wiltjer' offensive skills and hides his defensive deficiencies.

GonzaGAW
04-04-2015, 07:55 PM
First off, we never really got to see what Edwards was really capable of his freshman year due to illness, etc and he still looked very impressive to me. Soft hands, soft touch, good feet and solid defense for a true freshman who was reshaping his physique. Personally,I think that he will challenge strongly for playing time against ALL of the other 3 bigs including Wiltjer.
And while I don't think we'll have the ability at positions 1-3, I certainly don't see why we couldn't do a platoon system with our bigs. Especially since I believe that Edwards will surprise most people with his range on his jumper. Start with Karnowski and Wiltjer, then bring in Edwards and Sabonis. This keeps CONSISTENT FOUL PRESSURE on opposing bigs as well as physically wearing them down. This means that we'd have fresh bigs who aren't in foul trouble for the last ten minutes of the game going against tired bigs who are in foul trouble. There simply are not many teams who can keep up with 4 future pros dominating the post.
This rotation also benefits the guards because they'll know that there's always a rim protector in the game to cover their mistakes which will allow them to take a few more risks and not have to commit silly fouls.
Of course,all of this is based on Wiltjer staying, which is the opposite of the consensus not too long ago.

this I can agree with

CDC84
04-04-2015, 08:22 PM
This x 1000 This having the three bigs start needs to stop its not gonna happen on a fulltime basis... might we see it experimented with? MAYBE... but its not a recipe for success especially when we're talking about putting Wiltjer at the 3... thats disastrous cause he's not quick enough to guard the perimeter.

It doesn't matter though if you run a 2-1-2 zone. It protects Wiltjer. He doesn't have to guard 6-5 small forwards.

There's no way the staff would start Karno/Sabonis/Wiltjer without going with some kind of zone defense. It could also be an advantage defensively because you'd have 7-1, 6-11 and 6-10 guys in the middle protecting the rim.