PDA

View Full Version : Side note: Dunk the ball

FuManShoes
03-29-2015, 05:28 PM
Not trying to pile on, and you can't thank him enough for putting this team on his shoulders time and time again, but the missed layup by Wiltjer on a sweet Karno pass was a killer and a return to a point earlier in the season when the Zags were playing soft/not finishing strong. In a game that threatened death by a thousand cuts of TOs and missed jumpers, the zags had fought back and there was an easy, momentum-shifting bucket to be had. Dunk the ball. It's like the Zags' MO is the friendly layup. Dunk the ball. To whatever bigs may come to GU: Dunk the ball.

And Few really impressed me with his coaching, levity and spirit this season. I wish he hadn't said this:

You make that thing 499 times out of 500. It was just a fluke," coach Mark Few said. "It just didn't fall in. When that kind of moment happens, you've just got to shake your head, and it's not your night."

Please. #### doesn't just happen. You think Duke was over there thinking, "missed a bunny, must not be our night?" No, Coach K was telling his guys it was time to make plays (and signing the check for his refs).

MichZagFan
03-29-2015, 05:35 PM
Agreed. I bit my tongue in regards to Wiltjer's missed layup for obvious reasons but that play has been stuck in my head ever since it happened.

Huge turning point in that game, IMO.

AzZag
03-29-2015, 05:35 PM
Not trying to pile on, but the missed layup by Wiltjer on a sweet Karno pass was a killer and a return to a point earlier in the season when the Zags were playing soft. In a game that threatened death by a thousand cuts of TOs and missed jumpers, there was an easy, momentum-shifting bucket to be had. Dunk the ball. It's like the Zags' MO is the friendly layup. Dunk the ball. To whatever bigs may come to GU: Dunk the ball.

You got the wrong guy. That's not his game. He isn't explosive off the ground.
And if you've ever played the game in an organized fashion, you'd understand how easy it is to botch that kinda bunny.

Part of the game.

KStyles
03-29-2015, 05:40 PM
Not trying to pile on, and you can't thank him enough for putting this team on his shoulders time and time again, but the missed layup by Wiltjer on a sweet Karno pass was a killer and a return to a point earlier in the season when the Zags were playing soft/not finishing strong. In a game that threatened death by a thousand cuts of TOs and missed jumpers, the zags had fought back and there was an easy, momentum-shifting bucket to be had. Dunk the ball. It's like the Zags' MO is the friendly layup. Dunk the ball. To whatever bigs may come to GU: Dunk the ball.

Catching the pass with arms stretched above his head while drifting backwards and then trying to go right back up and dunk before the defense closes? Pretty hard to do.

zagsfanforlife
03-29-2015, 06:46 PM
Turning point of the game. Not kidding, i turned to my dad after he missed that and Duke made two free throws and said "ball game". It was a HUGE momentum swing.

TacomaZAG
03-29-2015, 07:09 PM
Turning point of the game. Not kidding, i turned to my dad after he missed that and Duke made two free throws and said "ball game". It was a HUGE momentum swing.

True, but our total of 6 points in the last 8+ minutes didn't help either, including no FG's in the last 6:30+ Duke ramped up the defense and we didn't respond.

Go ZAGS