PDA

View Full Version : To be continued... (The Zags Appreciation Mega Thread )

Malastein
03-29-2015, 03:09 PM
Wow, what an absolutely special season this has been. Felt really good being back in the Elite Eight again! Was fun being that much closer to a dream Final Four run, but this is a very tough Duke team. Perhaps these Zags would've faired better on a different neutral court, but they've shown a lot of pride and battled all season long. There's a lot of returning talent, and quite a few gems in the pipeline. The Zags will once again be in the hunt next year, and the young guys got to see how well Pangos and Bell performed by acting as selfless leaders. Two remarkable careers. These guys have elevated this program to continue to be successful for years to ce. They leave among the greatest back court on this program's history. I really can't wait to see what Melson and Perkins do to build upon such a solid foundation. Plus Sabonis will only get better. There's a lot to like about the road ahead! This year was a step in the right direction!

Ekrub
03-29-2015, 03:10 PM
Enough said. Will miss pangos, bell, and Wesley. Maybe wiltjer too. We gave Duke a good game, maybe if a few key plays swung the other way it would have turned out differently, but all in all a FANTASTIC season. Go Zags.

#UnitedWeZag

ZagaZags
03-29-2015, 03:10 PM
I'm sorry that it had to end today. It was a great journey. Thank you.

LongIslandZagFan
03-29-2015, 03:12 PM
Disappointed for them. Played 5v8 and still played valiantly. Sad for the seniors. Thanks boys for a great season.

jpn17
03-29-2015, 03:12 PM
I thought Gonzaga played great today. They lost to a better team and there is no shame in that. Thank you Pangos, Bell and Wesley for everything you guys did for this program. This Gonzaga team took the program to greater heights than it has ever reached and there's even more to look forward to in the future. I am so proud of these guys. Is it November yet? :)

Bogozags
03-29-2015, 03:15 PM
Coach Few and the staff and all the players, THANK YOU for this wonderful “ride!” We have enjoyed each and every moment or every game! It was an incredible experience to watch this TEAM, which truly loves one another as any family would. I do feel tremendous pride as a fan of Gonzaga Basketball and understand the emptiness you, the staff and players feel BUT all your heads should be raised HIGH for this season’s accomplishments: Conference Title, Conference Tournament Championship and an Elite Eight! I believe this is the best TEAM you have put together and they will have great memories to share for the rest of their lives! I know, we will also have wonderful memories of this season and will miss our three seniors but wish they all experience the very best that life has to offer!

Again, THANK YOU for this magnificent experience…

MichZagFan
03-29-2015, 03:15 PM
The loss hurts like hell but the proudness I'm feeling right now supersedes the pain.

Congrats Zags on an incredible season.

jazzdelmar
03-29-2015, 03:17 PM
Just as good next year.

john montana
Thanks Zags! Great season! Will miss the seniors.

JPtheBeasta
Go Zags!

Thanks for pouring your hearts and souls into another great, successful, season. I hope you enjoyed the ride as much as I did.

RenoZag
03-29-2015, 03:18 PM
Thank you Zags for a helluva ride. From November to March, you're the best ticket in my living room, season after season.

Congratulations for a great record-breaking year.

Zagceo
03-29-2015, 03:19 PM
Disappointed for players.

Zag4Hire
03-29-2015, 03:22 PM
Only one team out of the 68 (who even make it) get swing on down to Victory Lane and Zags were in the last jump-off. What an exciting year?! How much enjoyment has it been to watch not only this team this season but PANG! and GBJ these past number of years. This is a special program in a little special part of the world that you only really appreciate it when you step into some of these other realms that don't get to experience their team in the tourney, year in and year out, or crazy sanctions for this, that, or the other. Few & Co. do it the right way and it shows. Till next year folks.

DixieZag
03-29-2015, 03:22 PM
Best season ever.

Best team ever (so far).

Best guard tandom ever (so far).

And, great kids.

They got beat by a better team that had a better game. Fouls called against bigs in first half didn't help.

Feel bad for Kevin and Gary, neither had a good game, but they had the greatest career.

Proud. That game was winnable with 6:00 left, much closer than appears at the end, and us laying an egg, amazing, really.

scrooner
03-29-2015, 03:24 PM
Just as good next year.

We'll be very good next year, but not as proficient from 3.

hooter73
03-29-2015, 03:24 PM
I dont feel disappointed. One team will win and the other will lose, thats how the game goes. I wish they could have played better or hit a few more shots, but even in this loss, it is not a loss. Great season.

siliconzag
03-29-2015, 03:26 PM
I wish to add my congratulations as well. I did not expect them to make the Elite 8 at the beginning of this year. We were outgunned today, no two ways about it. Congratulations to the Blue Bloods. I will be rooting for them against UK, holding my nose the entire game. The Zags should not hang their heads, they played well, Duke just played better.

Sili

DagsZags
03-29-2015, 03:27 PM
I think I'm more sad at the losses of Pangos, Bell, and Wesley than I am for the loss. Whether it was four years, or just one, those three exemplified not just what Gonzaga basketball is all about, but what it has become. Elite talent from good kids with their heads on straight. It was a remarkable year, all the way from the unknown with all of the new talent coming in, to the Texas scrimmage rumblings, to the incredible run through the non-conference and the WCC, all the way to the Elite 8. These kids have nothing to hang their heads about, and they showed that Gonzaga basketball not just belongs, but is here to stay. Thank you to the senior class, and to Wiltj if he does indeed decide to go pro, for showing the young guns the way. I couldn't be more excited with the core we have returning next year, because they have showed that they are ready to take over the torch from Pangos, Bell, and Wesley, and once again prove that Gonzaga is not going anywhere.

There is no question which Zags team is the greatest of all time anymore. It's the '14/'15 Gonzaga Bulldogs. But I can't wait what next year's team has in store for us. It's going to be a loooong offseason.

Zagger
Thank you Zags! It was a pleasure watching you guys play this year - each and every game. I'm dang proud to be a Zag fan due to the continuous program quality and spirited Zag play.
Kevin, Gary & Byron - may your future goals be met commensurate with the joy you've given this Zag fan! Hope we see all 3 of you in the stands at future Zag games!
Have a great summer!
Go Zags!

VinnyZag
Thanks for the Father Tony reference.

This was the best season in program history.

I believe it's the BEGINNING of what will be a dominant Gonzaga run. Multiple Sweet 16 appearances are coming.

tampanjzag
03-29-2015, 03:29 PM
I believe this may be my first or second post on this board. I am a frequent visitor and always enjoy the threads. I had to chime in here. I have never enjoyed more watching college basketball then the last 4 years of Gary and Kevin playing together. Yes, it hurts right now to lose to an extremely talented Duke team but years from now I will smile at what this duo accomplished and look back on it as a terrific memory. To Mark Few, the coaching staff, the players families, and last but not least the players THANK YOU for a tremendous season! Go Zags!

zagirl2k
03-29-2015, 03:30 PM
Wanted that trip to the Final Four so badly for this group but it was an amazing season!

Thank you Kevin, Gary and Byron for your amazing careers. You have again shown how special it is to be a Zag and you will be missed.

Thanks to all on the board for giving us other die hard fans to ride this roller coaster of a season with. I wouldn't have it any other way. Love my team and love my school.

HillBillyZag
03-29-2015, 03:30 PM
Kudos to the 2014-15 Gonzaga Bulldogs. You made us all Proud.

ConnZag3
03-29-2015, 03:31 PM
I look forward to seeing what this team can do next year with the same frontcourt and a more athletic backcourt. I think that was a big issue today in Bell and Pangos both not really being able to get their own shot against Duke. I would have liked to see Melson get some run when our offense was stalling and no one could get to the basket.

Love what Pangos and Bell did for 4 years, but great guard play is what usually wins this tournament and we just didn't have it today.

gueastcoast
03-29-2015, 03:32 PM
Disappointed for the players and for coach. Not every ball bounces your way. Great season, great program, great ethos. To be continued indeed ~

CDC84
03-29-2015, 03:34 PM
My only major disappointment with the loss was the final margin of victory. It wasn't reflective of how competitive the game was.

Duke won this game with their defense, and Winslow being the stud that he is down the stretch with big shots and rebounds. If I would've told you that the Zags would've held Okafor to 9 points, Jones/Winslow to 9/26 shooting and the entire Duke team to 37.5% shooting, you would've said that Gonzaga won the game. At the end of the day, GU has to live with Matt Jones hitting those 3's. One of them was a miracle shot over Sabonis. The staff will tell the kids the same thing. The defense was outstanding today. They had to guard one of the three best offenses in the country today.

There was some questionable shot selection by the Zags for about four minutes in the 2nd half that kept GU from establishing a lead. A few of the dumb turnovers didn't help either. It reduced their margin for error. Some missed bunnies as well. Unfortunately, Pangos/Bell only went 4/14 from the field in this game, but much of the credit has to go to Duke perimeters who just blanketed them in this game.

The important thing is that GU gave it their best shot. They played hard and had Duke well scouted. Credit to all the staff and players. I feel very bad for Pangos/Bell whose careers ended today. Those guys averaged 30+ wins per year during their time. They led GU to its first number 1 ranking, their first number 1 seed, and got the team back to the elite 8. They will be missed.

FuManShoes
03-29-2015, 03:35 PM
Great run. Thanks the memories, and thanks for four amazing years, Gary and Kevin. You put your stamp on Gonzaga, which is no mean feat given the heritage. So many wins. It's easy to take it for granted. I can't wait for the next chapter!

mendiant
03-29-2015, 03:36 PM
Thanks for a great season guys!!! We love you! <3

Zagceo
03-29-2015, 03:38 PM
you put a smile on my face with the thread title……..

Padre would be getting out the Chartreuse right about now.

Birddog
03-29-2015, 03:39 PM
My only major disappointment with the loss was the final margin of victory. It wasn't reflective of how competitive the game was.

Duke won this game with their defense, and Winslow being the stud that he is down the stretch with big shots and rebounds. If I would've told you that the Zags would've held Okafor to 9 points, Jones/Winslow to 9/26 shooting and the entire Duke team to 37.5% shooting, you would've said that Gonzaga won the game. At the end of the day, GU has to live with Matt Jones hitting those 3's. One of them was a miracle shot over Sabonis. The staff will tell the kids the same thing. The defense was outstanding today. They had to guard one of the three best offenses in the country today.

There was some questionable shot selection by the Zags for about four minutes in the 2nd half that kept GU from establishing a lead. A few of the dumb turnovers didn't help either. It reduced their margin for error. Some missed bunnies as well. Unfortunately, Pangos/Bell only went for 4/14 from the field in this game, but much of credit has to go to Duke perimeters who just blanketed them in this game.

The important thing is that GU gave it their best shot. They played hard and had Duke well scouted. Credit to all the staff and players. I feel very bad for Pangos/Bell whose careers ended today. Those guys averaged 30+ wins per year during their time. They led GU to its first number ranking, their first number seed, and got the team back to the elite 8. They will be missed.

Spot on. I still hate Dook though.

MickMick
03-29-2015, 03:40 PM
Congratulations to a fine Duke team and a heartfelt salute to a valiant Gonzaga team. It hurts to say that the better team won, but it is true. We can own up to that and still hold our heads high. It doesn't take away from an elite, enjoyable season for the Bulldogs.

We will certainly miss Pangos, Bell, and Wesley. Their contributions will be remembered for a long time to come. Best of luck in your future endeavors seniors and please remain connected to the family.

Keep sawing wood.

DixieZag
03-29-2015, 03:43 PM
Another cool thing?

Because of Kevin and Gary and their 30 plus win seasons,

I think we're still a program on the rise, even after a top 10 season and E8 appearance.

Our recruiting has taken another step up.

Gary/Kevin/Wes, you've taken the program to another level, just like all great GU guards.

Heads high, Zags forever, we love you.

bballbeachbum
03-29-2015, 03:44 PM
Great ride again, great ride. sure will miss the seniors. been an absolute pleasure

OZZY
03-29-2015, 03:45 PM
I'm heartbroken.....But realise that they gave it their best shot and that is all anyone can ask.

The end score did not reflect the game closeness. Some of the no-calls on the offensive end just blew me away.

The end of an amazing 4 year college careers for Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell Jr. I will miss not seeing them in Zag uniforms. I enjoyed following them along the journey. I will also miss Byron Wesley's influence on the team as well.

It was interesting to see how much time coach K spent talking with Kevin at the end of the game. I'm sure it was along the line of "we planned to take you out of the game as much as possible as we respected your influence and talent".....

gonzagafan62
03-29-2015, 03:46 PM
Thank you Zags for a helluva ride. From November to March, you're the best ticket in my living room, season after season.

Congratulations for a great record-breaking year.

Yes! Thank for the ride everyone. Spectacular season. Cannot wait for next year

Zagdawg
03-29-2015, 03:49 PM
Thank you Zags ---great year!! Have a good offseason and we will see you next year!

Go Zags!!

seacatfan
03-29-2015, 03:56 PM
Historic year, great season for the Zags. I think they proved beyond a shadow of a doubt they belonged today. They didn't really play great, certainly didn't shoot the ball the way we are accustomed to seeing, and still hung in there all game til the last 2 minutes or so. I think that's truly the mark of a good team, to be able to remain competitive even when you don't have your A game that day. Congrats to all the players, coaching staff, etc. for a 35-3 record and Elite 8.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-29-2015, 03:59 PM
These seniors leave a special legacy for those to come...

Nevada Don
03-29-2015, 03:59 PM
Congratulations on a GREAT season you guys and gals. I know you wanted it all but you did so good !! I believe most all GIAG was rooting for you. See you next year.

Bocco
03-29-2015, 04:04 PM
Great season for the Zags, like others I wish the final score was more reflective of how competitive the game was.

Watched the game at Jack & Dan's. It was loud and noisy most of the game.

Zagtana
03-29-2015, 04:06 PM
What a great season. Proud to be a Zag!

CdAZagFan
03-29-2015, 04:11 PM
Enjoyed every minute of the ride... Thank You Zags! Incredible team, incredible players, incredible seniors, incredible chemistry, incredible season, incredible future.

GU69
03-29-2015, 04:14 PM
Great season. Hard to have it end -- not so much because it ended in a loss but because it has been such a great team it's hard to say good-bye.

Zaglaw
03-29-2015, 04:14 PM
Sad for the seniors, but so proud of this team, the coaches and all the staff that support the program. The ESPN analysts were uniformly complimentary of Coach Few, the Gonzaga program and this team. We've taken another step in the public consciousness and NCAA basketball. It will only bode well for the future.

Go Zags!

23zagmd
03-29-2015, 04:19 PM
This is spot on. For as much as everyone here loves our two outgoing guards, the level of athleticism at that position is what gets us in the end...
The other thing that I would add is that as I watched the game today it was pretty apparent that the stage and lights seemed a little to bright for the Zags at times. Duke is just used to being in this position. This was really our first foray in this era. Hope and know we have more.

I look forward to seeing what this team can do next year with the same frontcourt and a more athletic backcourt. I think that was a big issue today in Bell and Pangos both not really being able to get their own shot against Duke. I would have liked to see Melson get some run when our offense was stalling and no one could get to the basket.

Love what Pangos and Bell did for 4 years, but great guard play is what usually wins this tournament and we just didn't have it today.

TexasZag
03-29-2015, 04:25 PM
Thank you Gonzaga basketball (men and women) for representing our fine university so well! Living here in Big 12 country, it's especially gratifying that our teams are consistently so competitive.

sittingon50
03-29-2015, 04:26 PM
Thanks Gary, Kevin & Byron. You will be REALLY missed.

CarolinaZagFan
03-29-2015, 04:40 PM
Thank you seniors for shutting up the doubters!

hockeyzag
03-29-2015, 04:53 PM

There was some questionable shot selection by the Zags for about four minutes in the 2nd half that kept GU from establishing a lead. A few of the dumb turnovers didn't help either. It reduced their margin for error. Some missed bunnies as well. Unfortunately, Pangos/Bell only went 4/14 from the field in this game, but much of the credit has to go to Duke perimeters who just blanketed them in this game.

The important thing is that GU gave it their best shot. They played hard and had Duke well scouted. Credit to all the staff and players. I feel very bad for Pangos/Bell whose careers ended today. Those guys averaged 30+ wins per year during their time. They led GU to its first number 1 ranking, their first number 1 seed, and got the team back to the elite 8. They will be missed.

You're the man CDC. Great post as always.

I'm so proud of our Zags. There is absolutely no shame in losing to what some would say is the 2nd best team in the country.

The reason Duke won, as you pointed out CDC was their guards making it uncomfortable for Kevin and Gary. Those two weren't able to run the offense like they wanted, and despite our great showing defensively, we needed our guards to play well to win that game. I thought they looked like they were on their heels for a majority of the game.

I'm so impressed with Coach K. The guy is such a class act. He really complimented our team after the game and was humble in victory.

I really felt like the nation wanted Gonzaga to win that game. And when we didn't, I felt like everyone who talked about us did so in a positive manner. There was big time respect for our team this year.

drvenkman05
03-29-2015, 05:21 PM
It was an amazing ride and we couldn't have asked for better seniors!

You're the man CDC. Great post as always.

I'm so proud of our Zags. There is absolutely no shame in losing to what some would say is the 2nd best team in the country.

The reason Duke won, as you pointed out CDC was their guards making it uncomfortable for Kevin and Gary. Those two weren't able to run the offense like they wanted, and despite our great showing defensively, we needed our guards to play well to win that game. I thought they looked like they were on their heels for a majority of the game.

I'm so impressed with Coach K. The guy is such a class act. He really complimented our team after the game and was humble in victory.

I really felt like the nation wanted Gonzaga to win that game. And when we didn't, I felt like everyone who talked about us did so in a positive manner. There was big time respect for our team this year.

GonzaGAW
03-29-2015, 05:35 PM
had to chime in and give my own personal thanks to staff, coaches and players, thanks for making this a year to remember.

to kevin and gary, thanks for be the rock solid foundation of this program the past 4 years. you are number one on so many different stat lines, but most of all number one in our hearts

to Byron, I really do not think we get the seed and go as far in the tournament without you on the team. I'm pleased to know you are happy with your choice to come to Gonzaga.

good luck to all you seniors in life. what wonderful friendships and memories you will have

god bless us everyone.

zagcheer78
03-29-2015, 05:43 PM
Thanks for a great run this year and even more importantly, thanks for being a class act.:000tens::000tens:

Zags11
03-29-2015, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the year. Im hella disappointed but more so that we womt see pangos ans bell and wes again. We had the chance, 430 to go and just down 2. Karno is a 1st rounder. He held superstar okafor to eh stats.

TacomaZAG
03-29-2015, 06:51 PM
I can't believe it's over for another year, what a fantastic ride.................

Kevin and Gary will be truly missed, as will Byron. I'm heartbroken for the guys, but no shame in losing today.

Go ZAGS

Reborn
03-29-2015, 08:18 PM
Thanks for all the great memories. The best year since '99. You have been a great team, a great group of guys for us to identify with and believe in. Every loss hurts, some more then others. Give it a few weeks and you'll realize what you've done. And finally, you guys made it to the Elite 8 again. You did break on through. Thanks from the bottom of my heart, I love you guys. And Gary and Kevin and Wesley. Geeze thank you all, in a special way. So glad we got to know you Byron. You're one hell of a basketball player. You will always be remembered as a Zag. On were a huge part of a team of destiny. And Kevin and Gary, I can hardly express myself. It's all been said. You are special. Thanks for every thing you did here for us your fans but mostly for GU, your families and your loved ones. Come back and visit often. And best of luck in your lives. You are prepared for great things.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-29-2015, 09:25 PM
Thanks for all the great memories. The best year since '99. You have been a great team, a great group of guys for us to identify with and believe in. Every loss hurts, some more then others. Give it a few weeks and you'll realize what you've done. And finally, you guys made it to the Elite 8 again. You did break on through. Thanks from the bottom of my heart, I love you guys. And Gary and Kevin and Wesley. Geeze thank you all, in a special way. So glad we got to know you Byron. You're one hell of a basketball player. You will always be remembered as a Zag. On were a huge part of a team of destiny. And Kevin and Gary, I can hardly express myself. It's all been said. You are special. Thanks for every thing you did here for us your fans but mostly for GU, your families and your loved ones. Come back and visit often. And best of luck in your lives. You are prepared for great things.

+1
Well said Reborn. Thanks, Zags and ZagNation, for a fantastic season.

Robzagnut
03-29-2015, 10:01 PM
What a ride. The whole journey from the first game to the E8 was spectacular. Going to miss Pangos, Bell and Wesley. Fun to see them cement their legacy in the GU pantheon.

stevet75
03-30-2015, 06:38 AM
Thank you Zags. Great season! I will miss Pangos, Bell and Wesley but also look forward to another great year next year.

rennis
03-30-2015, 07:51 AM
If no one has said it yet - thanks to Coach Knight. His work with recruits and transfers is what elevates Gonzaga from an excellent mid-major to an elite program, IMO. He is owed a ton of gratitude.