• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angelo Roncalli
    Bleeds Bulldog Blue
    • Feb 2007

ESPN WCC Preview

Here's a reality this season that might be difficult for other WCC teams to accept: Mark Few, in his ninth season as head coach, should have his deepest roster since the 2003-04 season and owns a young and veteran balance of talent.
    and...

He [Few] also knows this: The Zags this season could be better than ever in seeking a 10th-straight NCAA Tournament berth, a fact strengthened by the arrival of Austin Daye, a 6-foot-9 forward ranked 28th in the country by Scouts Inc., and Steven Gray, a 6-3 guard ranked 80th by Scouts Inc. Gonzaga has long since eliminated the idea of recruiting the same players as other WCC teams, fortunate enough now to confront and clash over talent with schools from the Pac-10 and other major conferences.

For 16 seasons, Bill Grier enjoyed life on the top as part of the Gonzaga staff. Now he's taken over San Diego, and he's chasing the Zags, writes Ed Graney.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

It wasn't really all that many years ago when the Zags were fighting teams like Montana and Idaho State for recruits, and often losing out to those schools.

We old farts on this board continue to marvel at the success the Zags have had over the last 15-20 years. Unfortunately, too many of the younger Zag fans take this success for granted, and consider as disappointing those years when we fail to make the Sweet 16.

Like other Zag fans, I, too, would love to see us make the Final Four. And, truth be told, I think we're going to get there someday. But in the meantime, I am going to continue to enjoy the journey: watching talented players continue to develop, watching the Zags on national TV in venues like Madison Square Garden, and watching games in our wonderful new arena. Zag fans, enjoy the moment!

Comment

• TexasZagFan
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by El Voce View Post
      It wasn't really all that many years ago when the Zags were fighting teams like Montana and Idaho State for recruits, and often losing out to those schools.

We old farts on this board continue to marvel at the success the Zags have had over the last 15-20 years. Unfortunately, too many of the younger Zag fans take this success for granted, and consider as disappointing those years when we fail to make the Sweet 16.

Like other Zag fans, I, too, would love to see us make the Final Four. And, truth be told, I think we're going to get there someday. But in the meantime, I am going to continue to enjoy the journey: watching talented players continue to develop, watching the Zags on national TV in venues like Madison Square Garden, and watching games in our wonderful new arena. Zag fans, enjoy the moment!
      El Voce has never spoken truer words. May the younger Zag fans take heed to these words of wisdom.

Comment

• former1dog
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Count me amongt the fans who remembers the lean years. Truly almost a modern sports miracle how this "run" has been maintained.

Comment

• Rubbadub
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Liked this quote:

This team may not be as deep as Noah's Ark, but coach Mark Few seems to have two of everything. There may be least five players who, eventually, could play in the NBA.
          sigpic Just Foo'in around.

Comment

• ZagNut08
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

at least 5...maybe even 6

Comment

• CDC84
              Super Moderator
              • Feb 2007

From Fran Fraschilla

1. Gonzaga
              This team may not be as deep as Noah's Ark, but coach Mark Few seems to have two of everything. There may be least five players who, eventually, could play in the NBA. Junior Josh Heylvelt is back from a late-season suspension and is in the best shape of his career. Junior Jeremy Pargo is the latest in a long line of Zags' scoring point guards and sophomore Matt Bouldin has a terrific feel for the game. Freshman Austin Daye is Gonzaga'a most highly decorated recruits and Micah Downs averaged almost 17 points over his last five games and is finally ready to blossom. The nonconference schedule is brutal, but the Zags should cruise through the WCC without many speed bumps.
              I very much look forward to the game versus Oklahoma......Fran will most likely be the color analyst for that game. He's a good one.

Comment

• CDC84
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

scout.com

BTW...I have no idea where ESPN is getting those scout.com rankings for Daye and Gray. This is scout.com's final 2007 list:

Stay up to date with all the college basketball recruiting news and more at 247Sports.com

Daye is at 57 and Gray isn't in their top 100.

Comment

• Rubbadub
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Maybe they have some sort of super exclusive membership, actually truthful, that they give out to coaches and espn analysts.

Comment

• 4EVERaZAG
                    Bulldog Fan
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                    BTW...I have no idea where ESPN is getting those scout.com rankings for Daye and Gray. This is scout.com's final 2007 list:

Stay up to date with all the college basketball recruiting news and more at 247Sports.com

Daye is at 57 and Gray isn't in their top 100.
                    Scouts Inc. the service that ESPN uses is different from Scout.com. Here is the link to there 2007 top 150 rankings:

sigpic
                    "Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."-Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

• lawzag
                      Zag for Life
                      • Mar 2007

[QUOTE=El Voce;82689]We old farts on this board continue to marvel... /QUOTE]
                      speak for yourself you old fart! some of us on this board are young & gorgeous!

I was pleased with this ESPN article that appears to be an actual intelligent and well researched description of the Zags, rather than the cr** that most "sports analysts"(I say that with sarcasm) regurgitate year after year.
                      ZAGS RULE!!!

Comment

• CDC84
                        Super Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Re:

Thanks for the clarification 4EVERaZAG

Comment

• lothar98zag
                          PostPadder General
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Rubbadub View Post
                          Liked this quote:

Quote:
                          This team may not be as deep as Noah's Ark, but coach Mark Few seems to have two of everything. There may be least five players who, eventually, could play in the NBA.

Huh?!?! I thought only "crazy message board using Zag-nuts" said stuff like that? Someone who gets paid to write about college basketball actually said that? no way!

youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Comment

• ZagNative
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Rubbadub View Post
                            Liked this quote:

Reborn? Reborn? Time to weigh in with some "I-told-you-sos."

Comment

• Rubbadub
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

I think all of us negative nannies have put a damper on Reborn's once abundant enthusiasm.

Comment

Working...
                              X