PDA

View Full Version : Things I'd like to change about the NCAA Tournament

Birddog
03-28-2015, 11:28 AM
1) No more domes, even for the finals, they have no redeeming qualities.
2) Limit the TV announcing to 2 personas, 3 in the booth is distracting and not necessary.
3) Let Jim Nance end his career doing golf.
4) Limit the amount of time devoted to TV Commercials, it must be nearly equal to or greater than time played on the court.
5) Shorten half time back to regular allotted time for the intermission.
6) Limit the sideline reporting to Tracy Wolfson, Allie LaForce, and Jaime Maggio, the rest are superfluous.
7) Test the announcers ability to pronounce the names of the schools and players they are covering.
8) Assign Raftery to all Zag games and put him back with Vern.
There has to be more common sense changes that would improve the product. It's losing it's relationship to Basketball as it is now. Just my opinion.

SwainZag
03-28-2015, 12:00 PM
Bring back Gus Johnson.

jazzdelmar
03-28-2015, 12:02 PM
Nice job Doggie.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-28-2015, 12:08 PM
Very well said, Bird. I would, however, add Rachel Nichols and Molly Mcgrath to the list of acceptable sideline reporters.

Zag4Hire
03-28-2015, 12:14 PM
Good list. The one technical change would be the Carrier Dome is an exception to the Dome list--I think it just works. Another few additions:

Get rid of First Four
Allow alcohol purchases for venues
Add Farnham, Bardo, Physioc, and Ted Robinson as PBP announcers

jbslicer
03-28-2015, 12:38 PM
Permanently ban Mike Gminski and Len Elmore as analysts.

jazzdelmar
03-28-2015, 12:45 PM

Reduce the quota of Dook grads on the mic by two thirds

DixieZag
03-28-2015, 12:55 PM
It is worse than I actually had believed with respect to Domes and Final Four seating:

As of 2009, the minimum was increased to 70,000, by adding additional seating on the floor of the dome, and raising the court on a platform three feet above the dome's floor, which is usually crowned for football, like the setup at Ford Field in Detroit which hosted the 2009 Final Four.

That left only 9 possible choices - total. Indy, New Orleans, Atlanta, Dallas, St. Louis, Detroit, Houston, Minneapolis, Phoenix

That is absurd. No, "Los Angeles, Boston, New York, Seattle, Miami....."

CDC84
03-28-2015, 12:56 PM
Regarding number one......this is the last year that subregionals and regionals will be played inside of dome stadiums. Only the final four will be played in domes. And that's not going away, ever:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-09-19/final-four-sites-2017-20-domed-stadiums-bids-dan-gavitt-indianapolis-new-Orleans

Gavitt said the men's basketball committee was presented data by staff members at a summer meeting in Park City, Utah, showing what the impact on ticket distribution would be if (the final 4) moved to a traditional arena.

“All of the discussion centered around that,” Gavitt said. “We never really got to digging into the financial impact.”

The committee members were informed that if conducted in an arena of roughly 19,000 seats, Final Four tickets would go from 3,200 per participating team down to 900, and the public allocation from 25,000 to 5,000. Even eliminating the public sale altogether only brought participating teams’ tickets up to 1,400.

“They made a decision this is just impractical,” Gavitt said. “It was a reasonable thing to consider and a good exercise to go through. One of the members put it best: You’re an AD and maybe your school has never been to the Final Four, or it’s the first time in decades—just by the luck of this being the year it’s in an arena, a whole generation of people that have followed your program can’t go to the games.”

The Final Four last appeared in an arena-sized building in 1996, when Kentucky won the title over Syracuse at the Meadowlands Arena in New Jersey. Afterward it has been placed exclusively in domes, first with the court set in one corner of the stadium and enclosed on the open sideline by portable seats, and lately with the floor at the center of the stadium and elevated to promote larger capacities.

Since 2009, the “stadium” setup has been the standard, and the average attendance at the championship game skyrocketed to 71,893. This has meant roughly 20,000 more additional people getting the opportunity to visit the Final Four, in particular the hundreds of students provided standing-room seats in either end zone.

For this year’s (2013) Final Four at Cowboys Stadium near Dallas, the cost of tickets for those who enter the lottery and win is $190—or $63.33 per game.

Imagine how the prices might rise if the number of seats available for public distribution shrunk to perhaps 3,000 in a 20,000-seat building. Or, given the age, how much more difficult it would be to secure a reasonably-priced ticket on the secondary market.

spike_jr
03-28-2015, 01:29 PM
Regarding number one......this is the last year that subregionals and regionals will be played inside of dome stadiums. Only the final four will be played in domes. And that's not going away, ever:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-09-19/final-four-sites-2017-20-domed-stadiums-bids-dan-gavitt-indianapolis-new-Orleans

OK, I am pretty good at math, so I have a question from the numbers quoted above for a 19,000 seat basketball arena. if you have 900 seats per participant (4x900=3,600) and you have another 5,000 for public distribution, where did the other 19,000-3,600-5,000=10,400 seats go? Maybe they could "sell" more tickets if they limited the media (also move them to the rafters and not 3 rows deep courtside) and limited the number of NCAA officials in attendance. Furthermore, ticket prices this year in Houston and Seattle and purchased through GU were more than $190. I am not even sure you would be able to see the basketball from $190 seats.

jbslicer
03-28-2015, 01:41 PM

Clark "squeeze the orange" Kellogg would also be permanently banned.

DixieZag
03-28-2015, 01:56 PM

I believe you.

Which means it is going to be confined to those 9 cities from here until such time as your city builds a football dome.

The FF will be in St. Louis and Detroit, twice, each, before it ever came to the Bay Area, LA, or I-95 corridor.

BobZag
03-28-2015, 02:02 PM
Add:

Britt McHenry
Julie Stewart-Binks
Samantha Ponder
Molly McGrath

DrDrivel
03-28-2015, 02:08 PM
More than half that list will result in a reduction in immediate revenue for the NCAA. And let's not forget, their sole goal at this point is trying to shake every last dime loose from this piggy bank before the lights get shut off (both this year, and in a portentous "we only have a couple years left before they realize this is a scam" sense). They don't put on this tournament for the love of the game. They have approximately 1,000,000,000 ulterior motives. But at least they don't have to pay taxes, given that they're still classified as a non-profit!

Birddog
03-28-2015, 02:11 PM
You guys that want to add sideline reporters need to back up your argument with evidence (photos please). And who knew that Stewart married Jar Jar?

CDC84
03-28-2015, 02:13 PM
Maybe they could "sell" more tickets if they limited the media (also move them to the rafters and not 3 rows deep courtside) and limited the number of NCAA officials in attendance. .

I know that coaches, athletic directors and other athletic dept. officials gobble up a lot of tickets. Pretty much every D-1 head coach and several assistants go to the final four each year. The media also takes up an enormous amount of tickets. We're talking about the biggest sporting event in the country besides the Super Bowl.

The bottom line is that if they can fit 72,000 in a dome for the final four, it's never going to change. I'm just glad they are getting rid of the domes at the regionals and subregionals. There weren't enough fans in the stands last night to justify the dome.

BobZag
03-28-2015, 03:02 PM
You guys that want to add sideline reporters need to back up your argument with evidence (photos please). And who knew that Stewart married Jar Jar?

She liked his lisp.

http://cdn.newsday.com/polopoly_fs/1.8357561.1402070478!/httpImage/image.JPG_gen/derivatives/display_600/image.JPG

Sam Ponder:http://www.rantsports.com/clubhouse/files/2014/10/Samantha-Ponder1.jpg

You get the idea.

chieftain
03-28-2015, 08:30 PM
I think Bardo was my favorite.

zagirl2k
03-28-2015, 09:21 PM
Sort of off topic, but goes with the sideline reporter comments.... Rosalyn Gold-Onwude made quite the impression on one of the refs at the Warriors game.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CBO4R-NUgAAxyA7.jpg

TravelinZag
03-29-2015, 10:50 AM
Agree with the suggestions: Drop first four; No domes; reduce ads; no more press. With smaller arenas, freebies and comps have to be reduced, prices have to increase. Prices now, for the view afforded are outrageous. With fewer ads, cost of ads has to increase. Reduce number of press covering; tournament does not suffer from underexposure.

Add: reduce clock to :30.

Confession: Have always opposed taking conference tourney winners over regular season champs; would give the selection committee (can't believe I'm saying this) the more competitive team. However, the results of this year's brackets doesn't give me much evidence that the level of competition is adversely affected. Forty-seven of the top 50 RPI teams made the cut -- numbers 45,47 & 49 did not. Nine others receiving Dance tickets had RPI ratings in the top 68, five more were in the top 100. Seven dancing teams' RPI ratings were between 100-150. No problem with that: all above average, and the difference between a team rated, say, #80 and one rate #135 is probably Not huge. Three teams were just barely under, or just above the median RPI. Only Hampton had a truly awful RPI: #256.

Quality of competition doesn't necessarily suffer much from the illusion of inclusiveness fostered by giving berths. But the ridiculousness of that premise is revealed by those same numbers. Slightly more than half of the 351 teams competing at the D-1 level are really non-competitive. Perhaps three dozen mid-majors (or more) are. Dividing D-1 into two levels would provide more even, higher quality competition in each level. However, here is the conundrum -- how do you do this based on teams, not conferences. Virtually every major conference contains a couple of schools that rarely field competitive basketball teams. Let them compete, post-season anyway, in a new "D-1A" (or whatever) tournament. Allow games during the regular season to cross division lines. Just a thought.

hondo
03-29-2015, 10:57 AM
No domes and no games above 4000 feet. Not such a disadvantage for us but most teams probably play at near sea level to 500 feet.

willandi
03-29-2015, 11:19 AM
I wish they would reduce the venue size from football/domes to baseball sized arenas. Safeco in Seattle seats 45,000. If you put the floor in the center and added seats you should be able to seat at least 10,000 more, still have luxury boxes etc.I'm not sure Safeco would be allowed because it isn't truly enclosed, so would have swirling winds, at least compared to indoor. But it would make more venues available, and still seat a larger crowd than most arenas.

DixieZag
03-29-2015, 11:30 AM
I don't like that each team has a near identical Nike (or Reebok, or whatever) standard issue long-sleeve shirt with "Never Stop" or "Coming on Strong" or "We feel good about our chances to win this game because we are talented and patient" or whatever.

If there must be a "tourney shirt" at least really mix up the messages, individualize them, something.

"Zag Up" is as good as any, but appears to individualized or something.