PDA

View Full Version : This is strange. I'm not euphoric.

adoptedzag
03-28-2015, 08:49 AM
So, I sit here having my morning coffee, reading all the media from last night. I'm satisfied. I'm content. I'm not euphoric. I'm very happy that the boys performed to seed thus far and escaped two curses. The first weekend curse and the dreaded curse of aught 6. I'm not sure how I'll feel Sunday. This is super weird. I always imagined that if we ever reached the elite 8 again I would be over the moon. Am I the only one? If anything throughout the course of this run, the Zags have been extremely consistent; mostly performing to seed. Now we get to see how the boys perform when they need to perform _above_ their seed.

I hope Sunday evening, I'm looking for flights to Indy. Then I think I'll be euphoric.

TexasZagFan
03-28-2015, 08:59 AM
So, I sit here having my morning coffee, reading all the media from last night. I'm satisfied. I'm content. I'm not euphoric. I'm very happy that the boys performed to seed thus far and escaped two curses. The first weekend curse and the dreaded curse of aught 6. I'm not sure how I'll feel Sunday. This is super weird. I always imagined that if we ever reached the elite 8 again I would be over the moon. Am I the only one? If anything throughout the course of this run, the Zags have been extremely consistent; mostly performing to seed. Now we get to see how the boys perform when they need to perform _above_ their seed.

I hope Sunday evening, I'm looking for flights to Indy. Then I think I'll be euphoric.

My heart is full...that's what I'm feeling. It's a special time to be a Zag.

DixieZag
03-28-2015, 09:04 AM
I feel the exact same way, Adopted.

I was semi-euphoric after Iowa. It was such a performance and really crushed the jinx. Last night, I felt if we just played our game and nothing weird happened, we'd win, comfortably. We did.

Now, now I'm hungry b/c we can bite a piece that we're not supposed to bite. As great as it all is that we've finally gotten back to the E8, we've only performed to seed and the biggest obstacle - Iowa State, was drilled out for us.

We can go in tomorrow loose and experienced, while Duke might be a little tight and young. I respect Duke and they likely beat us in a 7 game series, but I really like our chances tomorrow. I'd really like our chances if we were in an arena with decent shooting expectations. But, it might be a case where the team that figures out the NRG shooting enigma first, wins. I like that.

YukonJack
03-28-2015, 09:04 AM
Once a goal is reached you want more. If it wasnt Duke I think satisfaction would be complete. A feeling of more to prove comes with the territory of playing Duke.

Reborn
03-28-2015, 09:05 AM
I'm pretty tired this morning. Didn't sleep well last night because of how happy I was. Woke up pretty early and couldn't get back to sleep because I had the Zags on my mind. I think that deep inside we know that there is more work ahead of us, and we're kind of saving our emotions today for tomorrow afternoon/evening. There is usually a lull the day after a great win, and when you only have one day to get ready for the next game I think that inside we try to just rest. That's what I'm going to do anyway. REST AND RELAX

bulldoginpdx
03-28-2015, 09:13 AM
The chance of being 40 mins away from another week of media speculation, stories of old being passed around, the boys getting love at home for a few days before Indy, give me that and I'll be euphoric.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

jazzdelmar
03-28-2015, 09:19 AM
If u can, watch the game again...dont get caught up on the "whats next." Dook is tough......and if it helps, think like this: the team has every chance of being as good next yr

BobZag
03-28-2015, 09:25 AM
If u can, watch the game again...dont get caught up on the "whats next." Dook is tough......and if it helps, think like this: the team has every chance of being as good next yr

If only the seniors leave, yes, a chance, but more likely takes a half-step back.

jazzdelmar
03-28-2015, 09:37 AM
If only the seniors leave, yes, a chance, but more likely takes a half-step back.

Fair enough, Beez. But we only glimpsed Jenks and even Melson. Add Eddie and a full year of Mac plus a major 3 transfer from Powerfive U. and I think we will be ok. Different, but just fine. Dont forget, the bigs who stay will all improve as well, esp the Bonus.

TexasZagFan
03-28-2015, 09:39 AM

Karno has been improving his draft stock during the past few weeks. I was hoping he'd save the behind the back passes for his senior year.

How does a college team not take a step back when it loses a conference POY and a conference DPOY, who have combined for over 120 wins in their careers?

I am awaiting the emergence of Silas and Josh next year, but it will take time.

BobZag
03-28-2015, 09:39 AM
So, I sit here having my morning coffee, reading all the media from last night. I'm satisfied. I'm content. I'm not euphoric. I'm very happy that the boys performed to seed thus far and escaped two curses. The first weekend curse and the dreaded curse of aught 6. I'm not sure how I'll feel Sunday. This is super weird. I always imagined that if we ever reached the elite 8 again I would be over the moon. Am I the only one? If anything throughout the course of this run, the Zags have been extremely consistent...

Same.

Zagquette
03-28-2015, 09:41 AM

At the end of the day, it's just a game and these are just kids. Be happy and enjoy it. It is suppose to be fun and a chance to be proud on your school. It's not going to change your life.

BobZag
03-28-2015, 09:41 AM
Fair enough, Beez. But we only glimpsed Jenks and even Melson. Add Eddie and a full year of Mac plus a major 3 transfer from Powerfive U. and I think we will be ok. Different, but just fine. Dont forget, the bigs who stay will all improve as well, esp the Bonus.

It's early morning, for me, so...... Who's Eddie?

TexasZagFan
03-28-2015, 09:47 AM
At the end of the day, it's just a game and these are just kids. Be happy and enjoy it. It is suppose to be fun and a chance to be proud on your school. It's not going to change your life.

It's changed mine...first time I ever decided to drive to Houston at the last minute... lol

jazzdelmar
03-28-2015, 09:52 AM
It's early morning, for me, so...... Who's Eddie?

Edwards........Go Juve!!!!!

zagsfanforlife
03-28-2015, 09:55 AM

Who is "Eddie"?

rennis
03-28-2015, 09:55 AM

Nice to meet you Mr. Buzzkill!

zagsfanforlife
03-28-2015, 09:56 AM
Edwards........Go Juve!!!!!

Got it.

If the front court returns and you get a senior Karno, Wiltjer and a improved Sabonis and Edwards.. that will be very difficult to stop.

But cant take anything for granted. Lots of teams thinking they can get back the next year in every sport once they have gotten there once. Usually doesnt happen. Gotta take advantage of the present. BEAT DUKE!

ZagMan in Philly
03-28-2015, 10:52 AM
I will be euphoric after we beat Duke.
You can't not get any higher than that.
Go Zags!

zagsfanforlife
03-28-2015, 10:56 AM
Go Zags!

After our previous two meetings with Duke, to beat THEM to go to the FINAL FOUR i would be above air. There is no other team i would rather beat to get there.

JPtheBeasta
03-28-2015, 11:00 AM
It's changed mine...first time I ever decided to drive to Houston at the last minute... lol

Awesome!

To the OP, I feel that a yellow and baby blue monkey that has been there since a fateful trip to Oakland in 2006 is now finally off my back...

JPtheBeasta
03-28-2015, 11:01 AM
After our previous two meetings with Duke, to beat THEM to go to the FINAL FOUR i would be above air. There is no other team i would rather beat to get there.

+1. Although beating Michigan St would be a close second.

Oregonzagnut
03-28-2015, 11:08 AM
I have come to the conclusion that we, the entire collective of Gonzaga University, lost our NCAA tournament virginity back in '99. We cannot, nor should we expect to feel just like we did on the first time of anything. If Gonzaga hoops is a drug, we have been chasing the dragon for 15 years, expecting a feeling that is impossible to duplicate. If Gonzaga basketball is our spouse and we have been married for 15 years, who would think that any night will match the first night on the honeymoon.

So why worry about how we should feel, because there are a lot of teams who don't have anything close to what we have. We lost our tourney virginity way back on March 18th, 1999 and it has felt great ever since!!

gonzagafan62
03-28-2015, 11:11 AM
I feel the exact same way, Adopted.

I was semi-euphoric after Iowa. It was such a performance and really crushed the jinx. Last night, I felt if we just played our game and nothing weird happened, we'd win, comfortably. We did.

Now, now I'm hungry b/c we can bite a piece that we're not supposed to bite. As great as it all is that we've finally gotten back to the E8, we've only performed to seed and the biggest obstacle - Iowa State, was drilled out for us.

We can go in tomorrow loose and experienced, while Duke might be a little tight and young. I respect Duke and they likely beat us in a 7 game series, but I really like our chances tomorrow. I'd really like our chances if we were in an arena with decent shooting expectations. But, it might be a case where the team that figures out the NRG shooting enigma first, wins. I like that.

This. I feel the same way

MDABE80
03-28-2015, 11:12 AM
Might be the most important game we've played! It's a big one!! This game with Duke, if won, elevates us tremendously. I think we can win this one. Defense is key. I'd get those experienced seniors on the court in droves. Guards must be shut down. I do think we can handle their bigs. The battle will be won or lost in the back court.

Reborn
03-28-2015, 11:16 AM
If you want to feel a little of that ecstacy, go downtown. I just got back. I had to run to a sports store to get arch supporters for my shoes (for tennis). I ran into a number of fiends who know I love GU, and to a couple of strangers who recognized the GU gear I am wearing. Wow! If feels good to talk about the game last night and being back to the Elite 8 again.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-28-2015, 11:21 AM

As excited as we are to be back in the Elite Eight, the game did not have a lot of drama. We all knew going into that game that we were heavily favored to win and would win if the team played reasonably well. This felt like beating St. Mary's. UCLA is a decent team. We're far better. Our kids went out and played hard, disciplined ball for forty minutes and slowly buried a smaller, less-experienced team.

As for Duke? We'll all be a little more euphoric, if we beat that team.

JPtheBeasta
03-28-2015, 11:30 AM
Might be the most important game we've played! It's a big one!! This game with Duke, if won, elevates us tremendously. I think we can win this one. Defense is key. I'd get those experienced seniors on the court in droves. Guards must be shut down. I do think we can handle their bigs. The battle will be won or lost in the back court.

+1

In the front court, it's our 3 bigs against Okafor. I think we have an advantage there. To me, the key is Tyus Jones. He makes things happen for them by getting into the lane. May tomorrow is the time for a mix of zone? It may be misguided, but I'm not afraid of Okafor because he tends to get a lot of points by going through smaller people- he won't do that to Special K. Going around, that's another story, and I hope that doesn't become a problem- but PK should be able to direct Okafor into some help (ie put some help in the middle and have PK force him there).

RenoZag
03-28-2015, 11:40 AM
If you want to feel a little of that ecstacy, go downtown. I just got back. I had to run to a sports store to get arch supporters for my shoes (for tennis). I ran into a number of friends who know I love GU, and to a couple of strangers who recognized the GU gear I am wearing. Wow! If feels good to talk about the game last night and being back to the Elite 8 again.

The rural town I work in has a large truck stop /travel center where I normally gas up my commuter car. Since the tourney started, I have had pleasant exchanges with strangers (who notice my vanity license plate) and they usually ask if I went there and if I think they can go far in the Big Dance. Guy yesterday offered good wishes and said "I hope you guys get to play Duke. I can't stand them."

ZagNative
03-28-2015, 11:42 AM
Fair enough, Beez. But we only glimpsed Jenks and even Melson. Add Eddie and a full year of Mac plus a major 3 transfer from Powerfive U. and I think we will be ok. Different, but just fine. Dont forget, the bigs who stay will all improve as well, esp the Bonus.Great post! Jazz is a magic man with words.

Pleasant Peninsula
03-28-2015, 11:44 AM
At this point I'm satisfied, but certainly not euphoric. Beating Iowa and getting to the Sweet 16 was relief, not euphoria. As silly as it is, failing to get to the Sweet 16 would have made this season a failure in my mind. Now we've gotten to the Elite Eight, which is exactly the place where we ought be this season, no matter what happens next this season will be a big success. But euphoria is what will occur when we defeat a team as good or better than we are. Euphoria will occur when we advance beyond the place where we expect to be.

Euphoria will come when we beat Duke and advance to the Final Four.

Euphoria comes tomorrow.

Robzagnut
03-28-2015, 11:57 AM
Go Zags!

Beating Kentucky?

MJ777
03-28-2015, 12:08 PM
As excited as we are to be back in the Elite Eight, the game did not have a lot of drama. We all knew going into that game that we were heavily favored to win and would win if the team played reasonably well. This felt like beating St. Mary's. UCLA is a decent team. We're far better. Our kids went out and played hard, disciplined ball for forty minutes and slowly buried a smaller, less-experienced team.

As for Duke? We'll all be a little more euphoric, if we beat that team.

The game yesterday just seemed strange. The bad shooting caused by playing on a lit up rectangle inside the vast dome and with what seemed (on TV anyway) like a sedated crowd just didn't feel like a GU game for me anyway. I was happy the team was ahead at the half, but worried that it was only by 7. When the LA team scored the first 6 pts of the 2nd half I tossed my remote and let out some inappropriate expletives. Luckily I was alone. I got excited in the 2nd when the guys responded with a run of their own capped off by a couple of sweet dimes by "the mountain masquerading as a man,” as Jon Rothstein from CBS Sports like to say. I was euphoric when it was over for the players and coaches, for Adam and all the old Dogs.

I know the broadcast team referenced the 2006 game during the game, but I didn't see them show a shot of Adam or show the video of that ugh moment. Did I miss it? Maybe CBS was waiting for the LA team to hit a 3 to get the deficit under 10. I was still worried with a minute to go, but Alford subbed in some benchers and I thought that was very classy. Then I celebrated with the team and felt euphoria.

Beat Dook. Go Zags!

Oregonzagnut
03-28-2015, 12:10 PM
The battle will be won or lost in the back court.

I agree, especially if Pangos and Bell can get hot from behind the arc. But IMO, it could be decided at the free throw line if the game turns into a physical defensive grind of a game. If you look at the team stats for offense (not including S16 games), Gonzaga and Duke are scarily close.

Zags: FTM (free throws made) 551
Duke: FTM (free throws made) 551

Zags: FGA (field goal attempts) 2033
Duke: FGA (field goal attempts) 2034

Zags: PPG (points per game) 79.4
Duke: PPG (points per game) 79.9

and there is more.

But defensively, Gonzaga is stronger. At least on paper in the power rankings. so I think if our offense can at least match our averages, then our defense will fluster Duke enough to win this game by 4-5 points, primarily due to our rebounding margin. But we will need a perfect storm to unleash on Duke and I think our back court will shoot better and Duke will go down 68-64.

Zag4Hire
03-28-2015, 12:21 PM

Real surprised you didn't mention KD returning. He is more than a glue guy and he is key piece to have. I think we are more than in good hands next year as well.

jazzdelmar
03-28-2015, 12:47 PM
Real surprised you didn't mention KD returning. He is more than a glue guy and he is key piece to have. I think we are more than in good hands next year as well.

My bad. KD of course. It's just he is so versatile i lost track of his position. He's been brilliant in the tourney.

ZagMan in Philly
03-28-2015, 01:03 PM
Beating Kentucky?

OK You got me.
But we have to get to Indy first.

rennis
03-28-2015, 01:09 PM

KD is a huge piece for next year. It's definitely going to be his turn to shine. He's shown some serious flashes of brilliance this year, he could be a real force next year if it all comes together for him.

As for the euphoria, or lack thereof, I agree. I'm not as pumped as I thought I'd be, but I'm also pretty hungover so there's that. haha. I think it will hit me later on. This is exactly how I felt last year after Seattle beat New Orleans to advance to the NFC Championship game. Seattle was the better team and it was a grinder of a game, and we'd been begging for another shot at the 49ers, but it was just more of a relief they got past the Saints so they could face the real challenge that everyone wanted.

And in that vein, when it's "4th down with the game on the line," I hope it's Gonzaga making the big stop or getting the big bucket to seal this deal. Let's go Zags!

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
03-28-2015, 01:34 PM

Tough to talk next year on the eve of a potential Final4 birth that the program hasn't seen in 15 years. So much happens in a season as we saw this year with the Perk injury. You have to grasp the moment in the present as a player and a fan. Tomorrow is NO guarantee. Unfortunately I know oh to well.

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
03-28-2015, 01:43 PM
I agree, especially if Pangos and Bell can get hot from behind the arc. But IMO, it could be decided at the free throw line if the game turns into a physical defensive grind of a game. If you look at the team stats for offense (not including S16 games), Gonzaga and Duke are scarily close.

Zags: FTM (free throws made) 551
Duke: FTM (free throws made) 551

Zags: FGA (field goal attempts) 2033
Duke: FGA (field goal attempts) 2034

Zags: PPG (points per game) 79.4
Duke: PPG (points per game) 79.9

and there is more.

But defensively, Gonzaga is stronger. At least on paper in the power rankings. so I think if our offense can at least match our averages, then our defense will fluster Duke enough to win this game by 4-5 points, primarily due to our rebounding margin. But we will need a perfect storm to unleash on Duke and I think our back court will shoot better and Duke will go down 68-64.

Thanks great info!

Mantua
03-28-2015, 02:56 PM
First I would like to say thank you to all who post and contribute to this board for enriching the Gonzaga fan experience, especially this year when I am juggling more than usual as are my family members. Thinking back to 1999, I remember watching fewer tournament games with milder interest yet being completely riveted by Gonzaga during the entire season. (Remember getting good seats in the Kennel with no problem?) Since then, every tidbit of Zag news has been gobbled up and at some point became a part of my day as much as morning coffee. Gonzaga basketball is a big part of the environment in Spokane and a happy shiny place we find throughout the virtual environment we have all become accustomed to inhabit as electronic information has increasingly shaped our lives. We have a cozier, more intimate and more pervasive relationship with our team because we can. They certainly continue to earn our interest. The highs and lows we experince now are somewhat muted as we have gained knowledge and understanding. This board has changed since I first started reading here with my coffee cup. The voices are rarely shrill, the posts are more pensive and the information is vastly more extensive. Go Zag Fans!