• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Aug 2012

Mark Few...

has answered the inevitable "What would it mean for the program to make the Final4?" question perfectly. Essentially in sum "We just want the season to continue for 2 more days because this team is close and THEY LOVE EACH OTHER." That type of answer gives some real insight into the team chemistry this team possesses. It also keeps the healthy mentality of focusing on the next game. I have been really impressed with this approach. You can tell he wants it bad though but even more so for the players he also loves. This is a powerful dynamic moving forward.
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

I totally agree. He's been a real hoot lately. I'm really happy for him and his family to have finally taken a team to the Elite 8. I know he is relieved and now has the monkey off his back. The Zags will have a great game plan for Duke. I know that because they have had one for every team this year. I also believe that a great coach has great assistants and Few does have them.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• Stache
      Professional Zag Fan
      • Nov 2007

He deserves so much credit. If we lose by 40 tomorrow, nothing tarnishes the consistency, the evolutionary growth, the integrity and the winning percentage that Mark has cultivated and built in a town that was considered very hard to recruit into and at a school that is a fraction of the size of the power conference schools.

BTW. I picked Zags to the finals so don't go all nuts on the Zags are winning tomorrow because I agree.

Comment

• Zaga
        Bleeds GU Blue
        • Nov 2010

Proud to be a Zag fan. it has been a absolutely amazing 15+ years watching each team make their run. I was hoping for a Duke v. Gonzaga matchup. It will make our victory that much sweeter against the dookies. G..O..N..Z..A..G..A............................... ......GO~

Comment

• rennis
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2007

For once I feel like he is happy with how the team is playing and more than anything they are all living up to the goals and expectations they have set for themselves. I don't think he gives a hoot about what anyone else wants or thinks, and I respect that 100%.

I hope he is enjoying this as much as fishing.
          Originally posted by Coach Few
          We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Comment

• TexasZagFan
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Stache View Post
            He deserves so much credit. If we lose by 40 tomorrow, nothing tarnishes the consistency, the evolutionary growth, the integrity and the winning percentage that Mark has cultivated and built in a town that was considered very hard to recruit into and at a school that is a fraction of the size of the power conference schools.

BTW. I picked Zags to the finals so don't go all nuts on the Zags are winning tomorrow because I agree.
            Perhaps Mark will now be recognized as one of the nation's top coaches when it comes to developing players.

Next year, I will return to doing brackets for March Madness. Didn't do one this year to change it up...lol.

Comment

• Zags11
              Banned
              • Mar 2008

Dont want this season to end

Comment

• ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
                Professional Zag Fan
                • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Zags11 View Post
                Dont want this season to end
                That kinda sums it up in a nutshell. It would just be real nice to have another week.

Comment

• caduceus
                  Zag for Life
                  • Mar 2007

One thing I love about Few this year is how he's been so much more loose. Not only off the court, but also in the way that he's not tightened up the bench so much during tournament time. Great to see our bench guys getting more minutes and keeping guys fresh.

Comment

• DZ
                    Zag for Life
                    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by caduceus View Post
                    One thing I love about Few this year is how he's been so much more loose. Not only off the court, but also in the way that he's not tightened up the bench so much during tournament time. Great to see our bench guys getting more minutes and keeping guys fresh.
                    I think that is the key difference, right there.

He's putting the game in Gary and Kevin's hands and not trying to control it so much.
                    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                    Mark Twain.

Comment

• Larrylegend
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
                      Perhaps Mark will now be recognized as one of the nation's top coaches when it comes to developing players.
                      How many 2 and 3 star players has Few developed into NBA picks? Dickau, Morrison, Sacre, Olynyk not to mention Turiaf and...

Comment

• Mantua
                        Zag for Life
                        • Mar 2007

I hope Gonzaga is ready for another flood of applications. When I watch Few and see the joy on the faces of our guys and the fun they are having, it strikes me that this is the best marketing any school could wish for. Juxtaposed to the images of many schools engendered by recent media issues, the imagined Gonzaga approaches Camelot.
                        Last edited by Mantua; 03-28-2015, 03:11 PM.
                        Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

• Zags11
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta View Post
                          That kinda sums it up in a nutshell. It would just be real nice to have another week.
                          Yes!

Comment

• BobZag
                            Dark Lord of the Zag
                            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta View Post
                            has answered the inevitable "What would it mean for the program to make the Final4?" question perfectly. Essentially in sum "We just want the season to continue for 2 more days because this team is close and THEY LOVE EACH OTHER." That type of answer gives some real insight into the team chemistry this team possesses. It also keeps the healthy mentality of focusing on the next game. I have been really impressed with this approach. You can tell he wants it bad though but even more so for the players he also loves. This is a powerful dynamic moving forward.
                            Well said.
                            The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• RenoZag
                              Super Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Coach Krzyzewaki on Coach Few:

Q. I was wondering if you could -- I know you covered it in the opening statement a little bit, but the mutual respect among two head coaches and where Mark Few is as a head coach in his career and where he's going.

COACH KRZYZEWSKI: He's at a great place. When you win over 80 percent of your games, you establish one of the great programs in the United States at a terrific school, got great kids. Mark's a guy's guy and one of the really outstanding people in our profession. He gives back, whether it be the coaching profession, Coaches versus Cancer, USA Basketball, he's a very humble, great coach and a winner. Obviously his kids love playing for him, and they play an exciting brand of basketball. And I'm a big fan of his and a good friend, and, you know, I'd be pulling for him tomorrow if we weren't playing, to be quite frank with you. He's all the things that are good. He could be a little bit taller (laughter) and he shouldn't be doing all those crazy things in his locker room making us older coaches look bad. Other than that, he's a good guy.

Q. Mike, regarding Mark and Gonzaga, he took over at a time when there was very little tradition at that school, two NCAA appearances and the Elite Eight in '99, but really, fundamentally very little going for that school at that time. How difficult would it be to do that and be where they are here?

COACH KRZYZEWSKI: He's done one of the great jobs in our country in college basketball, and they must have -- they must have great rapport as an administration and athletics, you know, the president, AD, must be a great team effort there, otherwise, you know, he wouldn't be there, because, I mean, so many schools would want Mark to coach and -- he loves it and he seems incredibly happy there and he's built -- he has his own -- I think I heard him say one time, maybe he said it on our show that, you know, staying one place if you like it to -- and build something special, I think he said something about Jim at Syracuse and myself at Duke and probably mentioned a couple other people, like why not? You know, why not do that if you really love where you're at and you can compete for the whole thing? And so I applaud him for it and they're lucky obviously to have him. He's a good guy and very, very humble. You would never -- he never throws his success up to you.
                              The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

Working...
                              X