PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs UCLA... Post game thoughts

Reborn
03-27-2015, 10:01 PM
Sorry I'm late. Just too exhausted after the game to write. I've been relaxing for awhile, and I wanted to watch the Michigan St game against Oklahoma, and the Duke vs Utah game with my son.

First I want to congratulate UCLA for making it to the Sweet 16 this year, and for being a tough foe for the Zags tonight. I look forward to playing you guys in K2 next year.

Now!!! What about them Zags. Hugh? What about them Zags!!! They did it didn't they. They stormed that damn door and slammed right on through it to the other side. Hay, Hay, Hay, Hay Hay...Wow!!! We did it didn't we. Love our Zags so much. What a beautiful ugly game. hahahahahaha And this game shows why Gonzaga is so good to me. You never know who is going to do the scoring, and you never know who will be the stars. Parker, UCLA's center is one of the biggest centers in this tournament, 260 pounds, and he could not handle Mt Karno. This fact says so much about Pzemek. It was nice to hear the announcers talk about him. They were sure impressed, and so was I. And Sabonis was right behind him really. Looney is supposed to be the guy heading to the NBA, but he couldn't handle Domantis. Our post players were so dominant, and Kyle certainly did some very good work inside too and led the Zags in rebounding again with ten. Zags out rebounded UCLA BY 11, and had 18 offensive rebounds. That is some pretty impressive work inside. As I said before the game, I thought the difference would be the bench, and it certainly was. We out scored them 18-2 off the bench. Although I hated the reffing, the Zags did outscore UCLA from the line, 17-23 versus UCLA 7-11. The Zags 74% foul shooting was really good and the best in a long time.

I felt that this was a really good game for Gonzaga. It will certainly help to know our team can be so confident and dominant in the posts. It's beginning to look like the Zags will be able to hold their own in the posts, both High and Low. And we will compete on the boards. As we continue to move forward, the Zags will need to be really tough inside, and I really believe they will be.

CDC warned us about how difficult it could be to shoot in that Dome. OMG was he ever right. I have never seen such poor shooting, not only for Gonzaga but for all the teams who played there tonight. But that is basketball, and that is the NCAA Tournament. You MUST be able to win in all kinds of different kind of games. And whether others believe me or not, the WCC did prepare us for games like the one tonight. There have been games when PK had to play the way he did tonight, and he has certainly played this well before. Yet, I believe he is getting better and better every game at passing the ball. Didn't you just love those two behind the back passes?

It's pretty hard to express how I feel, but I really feel like I'm about to cry. Not tears of sadness, but tears of joy if you know what I mean. And tears that are shed because of a deep love for the Zags and Gonzaga. And I know that everyone knows what I mean. What a great moment this is. What a moment to treasure, to savor, and just let it sit there in our hearts. Feel the feelings, and remember this very beautiful moment. Dang they did it, didn't they. And OMG did we shut down Alford. That was a huge key. For UCLA to win he needed to score big time. So please, don't tell me any more that these guys can't play defense. They may not be the best defensive team in the country, but so far they have been good enough to advance to the Elite 8.

I know how happy everyone is. We all share in this joyful night. We all lift up our team to the high highest place because they did what hasn't been done in a long, long, long long time. And yet we are all solid in knowing that we can not bask in this joy for long. For we all know there is more to be done. WE believe that there is another door that must be broken down. And so far no Zag has walked, or run, or whatever through that door. I believe they will be going through it like crazy warriors after the victory of a very tough war. They will be hoopin and hollering, jumpin and jiving, and high fivein! And we only have one day to get ready. I don't know why, but I just feel in my heart, that they Zags are NOT settling for it all ending tonight. Even Mark Few gave pretty strong indications that this team is not ready to stop playing yet. And I loved that statement coming from him after the game. Dang he was so happy. I love to see him that way. Good to finally realize that he's a little bit crazy too, and knows how to have fun. Maybe he does read GUboards, and took some of the recommendations that some of you good bloggers gave him.....hahahahaha He does seem to have loosened the reigns up a bit, and honestly, maybe more then just a bit. Anyway... It's good to be a Zag tonight. It's good to be an active member of ZagNation. Thank you all for so much. It's been a great year hear on this men's bb forum with you all. I'm lookin forward to even better days ahead. The best is yet to come!!! Good nite. Enjoy what is left of it. Have fun!!!

demian
03-27-2015, 10:36 PM
Dad I had to dvr the game and I watched it late. I agree with you the reffing was an absolutely despicable excuse for officiating. Just sickening to watch those reffs and they did the same BS to Utah. Oh well we won, but we all ought to get prepared to be screwed royally on sunday by those reffs. But your right Dad what a win. Such a great feeling. So proud of Karnowski. The guy who we need to acknowledge is Bell. He doesn't score much and we all know that and so on and so on but how bout his effort on defense against Alford who was one of the hottest scorers in the tourney coming into this game. Thx GBJ. Love the Zags

Sorry I'm late. Just too exhausted after the game to write. I've been relaxing for awhile, and I wanted to watch the Michigan St game against Oklahoma, and the Duke vs Utah game with my son.

First I want to congratulate UCLA for making it to the Sweet 16 this year, and for being a tough foe for the Zags tonight. I look forward to playing you guys in K2 next year.

Now!!! What about them Zags. Hugh? What about them Zags!!! They did it didn't they. They stormed that damn door and slammed right on through it to the other side. Hay, Hay, Hay, Hay Hay...Wow!!! We did it didn't we. Love our Zags so much. What a beautiful ugly game. hahahahahaha And this game shows why Gonzaga is so good to me. You never know who is going to do the scoring, and you never know who will be the stars. Parker, UCLA's center is one of the biggest centers in this tournament, 260 pounds, and he could not handle Mt Karno. This fact says so much about Pzemek. It was nice to hear the announcers talk about him. They were sure impressed, and so was I. And Sabonis was right behind him really. Looney is supposed to be the guy heading to the NBA, but he couldn't handle Domantis. Our post players were so dominant, and Kyle certainly did some very good work inside too and led the Zags in rebounding again with ten. Zags out rebounded UCLA BY 11, and had 18 offensive rebounds. That is some pretty impressive work inside. As I said before the game, I thought the difference would be the bench, and it certainly was. We out scored them 18-2 off the bench. Although I hated the reffing, the Zags did outscore UCLA from the line, 17-23 versus UCLA 7-11. The Zags 74% foul shooting was really good and the best in a long time.

I felt that this was a really good game for Gonzaga. It will certainly help to know our team can be so confident and dominant in the posts. It's beginning to look like the Zags will be able to hold their own in the posts, both High and Low. And we will compete on the boards. As we continue to move forward, the Zags will need to be really tough inside, and I really believe they will be.

CDC warned us about how difficult it could be to shoot in that Dome. OMG was he ever right. I have never seen such poor shooting, not only for Gonzaga but for all the teams who played there tonight. But that is basketball, and that is the NCAA Tournament. You MUST be able to win in all kinds of different kind of games. And whether others believe me or not, the WCC did prepare us for games like the one tonight. There have been games when PK had to play the way he did tonight, and he has certainly played this well before. Yet, I believe he is getting better and better every game at passing the ball. Didn't you just love those two behind the back passes?

It's pretty hard to express how I feel, but I really feel like I'm about to cry. Not tears of sadness, but tears of joy if you know what I mean. And tears that are shed because of a deep love for the Zags and Gonzaga. And I know that everyone knows what I mean. What a great moment this is. What a moment to treasure, to savor, and just let it sit there in our hearts. Feel the feelings, and remember this very beautiful moment. Dang they did it, didn't they. And OMG did we shut down Alford. That was a huge key. For UCLA to win he needed to score big time. So please, don't tell me any more that these guys can't play defense. They may not be the best defensive team in the country, but so far they have been good enough to advance to the Elite 8.

I know how happy everyone is. We all share in this joyful night. We all lift up our team to the high highest place because they did what hasn't been done in a long, long, long long time. And yet we are all solid in knowing that we can not bask in this joy for long. For we all know there is more to be done. WE believe that there is another door that must be broken down. And so far no Zag has walked, or run, or whatever through that door. I believe they will be going through it like crazy warriors after the victory of a very tough war. They will be hoopin and hollering, jumpin and jiving, and high fivein! And we only have one day to get ready. I don't know why, but I just feel in my heart, that they Zags are NOT settling for it all ending tonight. Even Mark Few gave pretty strong indications that this team is not ready to stop playing yet. And I loved that statement coming from him after the game. Dang he was so happy. I love to see him that way. Good to finally realize that he's a little bit crazy too, and knows how to have fun. Maybe he does read GUboards, and took some of the recommendations that some of you good bloggers gave him.....hahahahaha He does seem to have loosened the reigns up a bit, and honestly, maybe more then just a bit. Anyway... It's good to be a Zag tonight. It's good to be an active member of ZagNation. Thank you all for so much. It's been a great year hear on this men's bb forum with you all. I'm lookin forward to even better days ahead. The best is yet to come!!! Good nite. Enjoy what is left of it. Have fun!!!

CdAZagFan
03-28-2015, 12:25 AM
So incredibly happy for this win. To win by double digits and to shoot that badly shows how tough this team really is. I was a little more nervous for this game just because if UCLA had won, it most likely would have been another "Early Exit" or "Tournament Failure" - even though they had reached the Sweet 16. So happy to exercise those demons from Ammo's last year and to make another Elite 8 appearance. So happy for Pangos and Bell - they deserved to go out at least matching the best tournament run of any Zag team. A win against Duke would be off the charts! (I think it is definitely achievable.)

Zags11
03-28-2015, 12:39 AM
+1111111111111111111

TravelinZag
03-28-2015, 01:33 AM
Thanks, Reborn, for your usual excellent recap. A new oxymoron -- "beautiful, ugly game" -- and it isn't just Coach Few who has "loosened the reigns up . . .more than just a bit." Your conclusion is absolutely giddy; perhaps sampling the kool-aid? However, I concur. The best is yet to come. Zags year! GO ZAGS!

TimberZag
03-28-2015, 01:34 AM
+1111111111111111111

We won!!!! I won't be able to sleep til Sunday night. Go zags.

zagfan24
03-28-2015, 06:01 AM
Limiting to 5 turnovers will win you a lot of games. Our starting point guard has 2 in this entire tournament so far.

Reborn
03-28-2015, 06:17 AM
Thanks, Reborn, for your usual excellent recap. A new oxymoron -- "beautiful, ugly game" -- and it isn't just Coach Few who has "loosened the reigns up . . .more than just a bit." Your conclusion is absolutely giddy; perhaps sampling the kool-aid? However, I concur. The best is yet to come. Zags year! GO ZAGS!

Thanks. I think the term "Kool Aid" originated by one of our bloggers back a few years ago because of some of my wild, crazy predictions, as well as my consistent confidence in our Zags. I have tried my best over the years to try to fight against the idea that Gonzaga would NEVER be an elite program. By some people's standards we are still not there; so I will continue to believe the improbable or even impossible. I believe in this great team and great program.

Reborn
03-28-2015, 06:21 AM
Dad I had to dvr the game and I watched it late. I agree with you the reffing was an absolutely despicable excuse for officiating. Just sickening to watch those reffs and they did the same BS to Utah. Oh well we won, but we all ought to get prepared to be screwed royally on sunday by those reffs. But your right Dad what a win. Such a great feeling. So proud of Karnowski. The guy who we need to acknowledge is Bell. He doesn't score much and we all know that and so on and so on but how bout his effort on defense against Alford who was one of the hottest scorers in the tourney coming into this game. Thx GBJ. Love the Zags

Nice to see you post again, Dame. It was a great win, a great night, a great celebration. Karnowski was truly great, and Sabonis too. I could see this coming too, because in many ways it's easier for the bigs to score in the NCAA tournament because teams we play don't know us, and don't have as much time to prepare. Therefore, to do it against UCLA was great because they played us before and had a week to prepare. I'm really looking forward to the match-up with Okafer and Winslow. Playing against Parker and Looney was a good way to prepare.

Reborn
03-28-2015, 07:29 AM
Skip Baylis picked UCLA as Did the host of the show. She's a UCLA alum. So she has an excuse. Steven A picked Gonzaga. I almost always side with Steven A. There were a lot of people getting behind UCLA in the media because they had gotten hot at the best time of the year. Bryce Alford was becoming a star. I can see why people were getting behind them because in this tournament no one is safe, and there are always upsets. You know how those two love to argue. Skip was his usual very cocky self, trying so hard to convince his fans that UCLA was going to upset Gonzaga. Steven A, on the other hand was not into boasting at all, which he can do as well as Skip. He seems confident in his feelings that Gonzaga was JUST a better team.

Gonzaga's bench is really good, and has really contributed to wins all season long. Few was wise in playing so many of them this year. I believe that because of our bench that Gonzaga is a more rested team then they have ever been in the NCAA Tournament. I put our bench right up against Kentucky's. And I am so hoping that in the end it's between Gonzaga and Kentucky.,

Could it really be possible that Gonzaga is really "the little engine that could." Do you all remember that book (I must talk a little bit with a southern accent since we're playing in Houston). I used to read it to my two sons all the time when they little kids.

Reborn
03-28-2015, 07:34 AM
Gonzaga is really free now, free from that monkey on their back. He's gone now, and hopefully forever. We're going to see Gonzaga play with a new sense of freedom Sunday.

Zagceo
03-28-2015, 08:03 AM
I've been saying this all season……..This team is special.

We control games because we have experience, size and depth. The trifecta IMO.

Tastes so much better when you have to fight so hard to attain it!

Why not us! Final Four 2015

TexasZagFan
03-28-2015, 08:10 AM
+1111111111111111111

For a second, I thought you were talking in binary...

Marcus
03-28-2015, 09:51 AM
Just watched the game again.

Gonzaga's offence was masterful really. The shooting not so much, but they were getting any shot they wanted. They moved the ball around beautifuly and were getting a ton of open looks.

Sabonis has taken a step forward in the tournament. He showed poise on offense and as always his fire and rebounding are amazing. One thing I've noticed is how strong his hands are. When he gets the rebound up high he can squeeze it so tight that it doesn't matter if someone else swipes at it.

Grant Hill was talking about the Karnowski, Okafor matchup during the game. He was saying he expects Karnowski to cause some problems for Jahlil. Karnowski is bigger and will be going at him offensivly which a lot of teams don't do plus is heavy enough to bang on D.

Let's go Zags!!! Beat those Blue Devils!!!

007Zag
03-28-2015, 11:19 AM
Limiting to 5 turnovers will win you a lot of games. Our starting point guard has 2 in this entire tournament so far.

That is incredible. Does Duke pressure the ball much coming up the court?

Birddog
03-28-2015, 11:49 AM
Kyle Dranginis was again an unsung hero playing his junkyard style of "d" and interrupting the UCLA flow. The made 3 was a very nice maraschino cherry too.

jazzdelmar
03-28-2015, 12:00 PM
Also just re watched

Two things. KD was spectacular
Nanny asked Hill to analyze a Karno Okafor match and though the Zag game was largely decided the DUKE UTAH GAME HAD NOT EVEN STARTED. They actually chatted for a while before they caught themselves. Shows you where the CBS producers are as that almost certainly came from the truck. CBS and Duke have no shame. Only one game in the EE is on Mr Moonves' network.

Zags11
03-28-2015, 02:08 PM
For a second, I thought you were talking in binary...

Lol im so jacked.

bballbeachbum
03-28-2015, 03:00 PM
Gonzaga is really free now, free from that monkey on their back. He's gone now, and hopefully forever. We're going to see Gonzaga play with a new sense of freedom Sunday.

I think so too, we'll see. it's not euphoria (nicely explored in the other thread) so much as relief after achievement maybe? that can be pretty liberating. again, we'll see, but why not Karno putting fouls on Okafor instead of the other way around, you know?

and what about them Zags!

Birddog
03-28-2015, 03:57 PM
Also just re watched

Two things. KD was spectacular
Nanny asked Hill to analyze a Karno Okafor match and though the Zag game was largely decided the DUKE UTAH GAME HAD NOT EVEN STARTED. They actually chatted for a while before they caught themselves. Shows you where the CBS producers are as that almost certainly came from the truck. CBS and Duke have no shame. Only one game in the EE is on Mr Moonves' network.

I started yelling to my SO about that as they started babbling like it was a certainty that Dook would advance. Terrible way to broadcast IMO.

RenoZag
03-28-2015, 06:39 PM
I mentioned that in the game thread at the time. . .thought it was a diss of Utah

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?53579-3-27-15-NCAA-Tournament-Game-3-GAME-THREAD&p=1107568#post1107568