PDA

View Full Version : Quite possibly the most condescending, elitist anti Zag thread......ever

thespywhozaggedme
03-27-2015, 09:11 PM
I came across this on Puke's board; read all 7 pages; it's nauseating.

http://duke.scout.com/forums/1386-tdd-hoops/13678584-update-gonzaga-sucks?s=167

RenoZag
03-27-2015, 09:19 PM
Why would you subject yourself to a likely buzzkill by visiting the land of Coach K and his Mighty Minions ?

23dpg
03-27-2015, 09:26 PM
That's so bad it's hard to believe. I should have let it go but I replied.
I honestly hope that thread is not indicative of most Duke fans.

krozman
03-27-2015, 09:27 PM
The more recent threads are a bit......calmer, but ya....you should expect their fans to be confident.

Marcus
03-27-2015, 09:27 PM
That's so bad it's hard to believe. I should have let it go but I replied.
I honestly hope that thread is not indicative of most Duke fans.

Care to share any tidbits, I'm not a member and can't read the forum.

thespywhozaggedme
03-27-2015, 09:32 PM
Care to share any tidbits, I'm not a member and can't read the forum.

First post of that thread:

Honestly, **** these p*ssies who don't schedule but maybe one top 25 team a year OOC, and then because the committee has such a gigantic hardon for balancing "geography", are keen to award them a one seed over deserving p5 teams.

They shouldn't even be allowed to SNIFF a one seed unless every other p5 team has five or more losses to teams as awful as the WCC, which is damn near everyone in that piece of sh*t conference.

Zags suck, and their arrogant fans who think they deserve a one seed, EVER, suck too.

These clowns robbed us of a FF in 2013 by being gifted a one seed and they're going to rob one of Wiscy/Zona/Duke/UVA this year to

23dpg
03-27-2015, 09:34 PM
Here is the first post:

Honestly, **** these p*ssies who don't schedule but maybe one top 25 team a year OOC, and then because the committee has such a gigantic hardon for balancing "geography", are keen to award them a one seed over deserving p5 teams.

They shouldn't even be allowed to SNIFF a one seed unless every other p5 team has five or more losses to teams as awful as the WCC, which is damn near everyone in that piece of sh*t conference.

Zags suck, and their arrogant fans who think they deserve a one seed, EVER, suck too.

These clowns robbed us of a FF in 2013 by being gifted a one seed and they're going to rob one of Wiscy/Zona/Duke/UVA this year too.

If this roving band of garbage gets a one seed, I declare we should sever our ties with the ACC and play a putrid 18 game schedule against a bunch of bottom 150 RPI teams every season in perpetuity.

There should absolutely be an east coast bias when there's maybe three teams west of the Mississippi that aren't a steaming pile of horse ****.

**** Mark Few for being a #### about scheduling real teams.

**** Lunardi for licking their pole every year each time they barely beat garbage

**** the committee for having such a boner about 'geography' that the Zags can play this disgusting schedule every year, lose a game agains their only ranked comp, and still get a one seed

Marcus
03-27-2015, 09:35 PM
Wow, just wow.

thespywhozaggedme
03-27-2015, 09:35 PM
Why would you subject yourself to a likely buzzkill by visiting the land of Coach K and his Mighty Minions ? I went over there to start a thread wishing them a good game and trying to talk matchups; but before I did, I came a cross that thread, which reminded me why I hate Puke so much.

23dpg
03-27-2015, 09:39 PM
Wow, you should read the posts responding to mine. Such venom. What a bunch of azzholes.
Funny they say I don't know what the **** I'm talking about, then mention how we beat North Dakota, UAB and UCLA to get to E8.

surfmonkey89
03-27-2015, 09:44 PM
To be honest, right now I feel invincible. Nothing that anyone says can take this away.

Beat Duke.

LongIslandZagFan
03-27-2015, 09:49 PM
Wow.. But have to say... What I expected out of the pompous ass clowns that are Duke fans. They did not disappoint. Gee number of Duke fans being approved on this board. Guessing zero.

CDC84
03-27-2015, 09:49 PM
How do they know what Gonzaga fans feel about their program? Those guys are in bed when Gonzaga plays most of their games. All they do is just listen to media hacks and spin their own interpretations.

I think some of this comes from being the most disliked program in college basketball. They probably enjoy kicking someone around who they perceive as being beneath them. It's kind of sad.

TheZagPhish
03-27-2015, 09:50 PM
http://cl.ly/aQk1/their-negative-energy.jpg

Robzagnut
03-27-2015, 09:54 PM
Stay classy Zag fans and don't stoop to their level. GU is in the E8 and all our focus should be on that. I have always respected Duke and Coach K, so don't let a bunch of out of control fans bring you down. It will all be settled Sunday. Focus on the win. We waited too long for this. I'm not reading anything else from Duke fans until 5:00 PM on Sunday.

spike_jr
03-27-2015, 09:58 PM
So then they should be more than willing to set up a home-and-home with us, right? Some of that stuff is pretty funny coming from a team that will play NOBODY on the road OOC and gets to play within walking distance of the campus the first weekend every year in the tournament.

LongIslandZagFan
03-27-2015, 10:02 PM
Stay classy Zag fans and don't stoop to their level. GU is in the E8 and all our focus should be on that. I have always respected Duke and Coach K, so don't let a bunch of out of control fans bring you down. It will all be settled Sunday. Focus on the win. We waited too long for this. I'm not reading anything else from Duke fans until 5:00 PM on Sunday.

I respect Coach K... I respect the players... just about every Duke FAN I have met... straight up ass clowns.and usually are the least knowledgeable basketball fans on the planet.

23dpg
Yeah, I'm not going back over there. I signed up over there years ago before one of the Zag games. I don't remember it being so vile. That is the worst board I've ever seen.

CDC84
Hopefully there will eventually be some voices of reason in that thread and some moderator intervention. It's a bit over the top.

23dpg
03-27-2015, 10:04 PM
Hopefully there will eventually be some voices of reason in that thread and some moderator intervention. It's a bit over the top.

That thread has been going on for almost two months.

DixieZag
03-27-2015, 10:04 PM
Wow, you should read the posts responding to mine. Such venom. What a bunch of azzholes.
Funny they say I don't know what the **** I'm talking about, then mention how we beat North Dakota, UAB and UCLA to get to E8.

I got the sense that none of those folks are alum. I suspect they are the bandwagon wanna be's.

There is no other explanation for such venom and insecurity.

That thread was started months ago, though.

The thread about our actual match-up is pretty normal. They're pretty well respecting us.

Whatever. If they're that needy and insecure, they deserve whatever happens one way or another. No joy in it, at all.

ZagNative
03-27-2015, 10:11 PM
I don't understand why anyone would read a thread on a site that is guaranteed to rub off some of the luster I feel from tonight's win. Wile horses couldn't drag me to that site.

MickMick
03-27-2015, 10:30 PM
They embrace being the most despised program in the nation.

The true entertainment is their current talking points dilemma with UNC fans which claim that Duke was handed an easy road to the final four, reinforced by a similar claim in 2010 (Butler was the supposed unworthy final opponent among others earlier in the path).

Duke has two choices:

Defend the difficulty of their path by claiming GU is a worthy opponent.
Agree with the Tar Heels that the selection committee showed favoritism and that Duke didn't truly earn their accolades.

This is what I love about many of those fans along the Eastern Seaboard. They don't understand that the more you diminish your opponent, the more your victory over that opponent is rendered hollow. It also sets up some major humiliation when they do lose to such perceived inferior foes. TDD.......still doing this after Mercer last season, a game I thoroughly enjoyed.

Most of us moved past the "clamoring for respect" stage long ago. We know we belong here.....in fact, long overdue. Those TDD folks are nothing more than amusing, if not a little bit delusional. Honestly, did you see anything remotely frightening in that Utah game except for Winslow, or possibly the free throw shooter that closes out the game? They force mistakes defensively, but GU has three seniors handling the ball. The Utah guards looked like the Keystone Cops when faced with mild 3/4 court pressure and their shot selection was a head scratcher. That Duke team definitely looks beatable to me and I'm sure that is how the team views them as well.

Quite an entertaining bunch over there at TDD. I'm going to love Sunday.

CdAZagFan
03-28-2015, 12:29 AM
As Dickie V would say - GU needs to Just Win, baby!

TravelinZag
03-28-2015, 02:29 AM
Every site has its ignorant, profane and belligerent posters. We are not immune. We recognize ours do not represent us, our team or the university; rather, their infantile exhibitionism demeans themselves. Duke is a great school, and has a basketball program that has earned respect. They have an all-too-rare coach who wins but is a sportsman, and who seizes responsibility for his players' success in their lives, not just on the court. They built a reputation for fans who got under opponents' skins through creative, sometimes humorous, sometimes biting barbs. Sound familiar? It should. The Duke fans, and ours, are perhaps a bit less clever in recent years, but retain their enthusiasm without diving for the gutter. Usually, threads like the one cited on the Duke site just serve a fodder for opponents' bulletin boards. This one is not even close to reaching that level.

Zag fans should burst with pride in their team that will play Duke for the right to go to the Final Four. If GU wins, that will be a spectacular achievement, because the Duke team has a history of excellence. I really hope that happens, but most of all, I hope our players are at the top of their talents and perform well. They have earned their way here, and deserve praise. (Plus, that will taste like bile to the guttersnipes.)

GO ZAGS! Your year! Beat Duke! Then shake hands with worthy competitors!

kitzbuel
03-28-2015, 03:34 AM
That is the reason why it won't take much to turn NRG Stadium into a pro-Gonzaga crowd.

CarolinaZagFan
03-28-2015, 04:18 AM
So then they should be more than willing to set up a home-and-home with us, right? Some of that stuff is pretty funny coming from a team that will play NOBODY on the road OOC and gets to play within walking distance of the campus the first weekend every year in the tournament.

Hahaha like Duke would ever schedule an OOC game outside of Cameron or MSG.

gonzagafan62
03-28-2015, 04:19 AM
And how many times has Duke lost to a garbage te like Miami (fl) this year? They do this every year. I'm not suprised of their arrogance in fact we need it..

CarolinaZagFan
03-28-2015, 04:30 AM
I'm honestly surprised the board is even in english considering all their students are foreigners. I've lived in NC my whole life and I only know one person that attended Duke. Please don't think that's how most North Carolinians act. Probably a bunch of spoiled yankee ######bags.

Zag4Hire
03-28-2015, 04:38 AM
It is Duke. Sorry can't store this in my warehouse of dislike and contempt for Duke because it is already full up.

Zagsker
03-28-2015, 05:37 AM
I got the sense that none of those folks are alum.

Does that make a difference?

willandi
03-28-2015, 06:52 AM
When the Zags beat them tomorrow, will they complain that now it's 2 of the last 3 years that Gonzaga has kept them from the FF, because the Zags are such p**ssies?

TexasZagFan
03-28-2015, 06:55 AM
First post of that thread:

These clowns robbed us of a FF in 2013 by being gifted a one seed and they're going to rob one of Wiscy/Zona/Duke/UVA this year to

Sounds like Mike Gminski... lol

Reborn
03-28-2015, 07:02 AM
I don't understand why anyone would read a thread on a site that is guaranteed to rub off some of the luster I feel from tonight's win. Wile horses couldn't drag me to that site.

I'm with ya ZN. I had a lot of online conversations with a number of Duke fans in '06 when Adam was going up against Duke's great guard (forgot his name). They were truly vile, and hated Adam and would say the cruelest things about him. I have never felt such cruelty as I did from those Duke fans back then, and I'm sure it's still there. I would never ever go to their basketball forum to talk to them. Why get into anything with that pile of manure.

Zag365
03-28-2015, 07:20 AM
I could care less what a bunch of anonymous, self-selected Zag detractors say on Duke website nor do I attribute what they say to the Duke program. No need to get our pants in a bunch because a very small group of who knows who are calling names. Also, no cause for anyone on this Board to retailiate in kind. We respect our opponents. I'm interested in specific comments on matchups, schemes, and other analysis because I haven't seen Duke play much (although you hear about them weekly throughout the season). I'm really looking forward to this matchup. Excited and unafraid.

webspinnre
03-28-2015, 07:25 AM
I respect Coach K... I respect the players...

Agreed on that part. I was a mild Duke fan for years, as both of the top players in Alaska went there growing up, Trajan Langdon, and Carlos Boozer (who went to my HS). I have a lot of respect for the program and all it has accomplished. That being said, let's beat them by 20.

DixieZag
03-28-2015, 07:33 AM
Does that make a difference?

Yeah, a little, to me.

If comments come from current students, alum, or university staff etc, those all seem to have a direct link to the school itself and reflect the school itself, somewhat.

If a comment is just from some guy in Daytona who decided to cheer for Duke over Kansas 15 years ago when he was 8 and has been a "Dookie" ever since, it reflects the fan base, but not the school itself. Does that make any sense?

TexasZagFan
03-28-2015, 07:43 AM
I could care less what a bunch of anonymous, self-selected Zag detractors say on Duke website nor do I attribute what they say to the Duke program. No need to get our pants in a bunch because a very small group of who knows who are calling names. Also, no cause for anyone on this Board to retailiate in kind. We respect our opponents. I'm interested in specific comments on matchups, schemes, and other analysis because I haven't seen Duke play much (although you hear about them weekly throughout the season). I'm really looking forward to this matchup. Excited and unafraid.

Tomorrow we will see a handful of heralded Burger Boys take on a group of young men that is a TEAM in every sense of the word. Our team is coached by men who know how to develop their players like no other team in the country. Not once in the past five years, and probably ever, have the Zags ever had a top 25 recruiting class. Somehow, some way, we continue our march into the land of the Blue Bloods, constantly moving forward, never surrendering.

The ascendance of the Zags is triggering seismic eruptions throughout the land. Josh Perkins, Silas, Shem, the Baltic Hammer, and now Zach Collins, oh my goodness! Coaches with salaries, and budgets that are several times that of Gonzaga are being asked why they can't develop their players like Gonzaga.

The demons are exorcised, and the sky's the limit for us. Nothing but good comes from tomorrow's game, of that I'm convinced.

Duke's days are numbered, Coach K is truly a wizard. I feel sorry for his eventual replacement. OTOH, the ascendancy of the Zags will continue.

Zagsker
03-28-2015, 07:49 AM
Yeah, a little, to me.

If comments come from current students, alum, or university staff etc, those all seem to have a direct link to the school itself and reflect the school itself, somewhat.

If a comment is just from some guy in Daytona who decided to cheer for Duke over Kansas 15 years ago when he was 8 and has been a "Dookie" ever since, it reflects the fan base, but not the school itself. Does that make any sense?

Solid explanation

Although I will say my two favorite teams (Nebraska and Gonzaga) I am not an alum of, but have a deep sense of pride in

thespywhozaggedme
03-28-2015, 09:04 PM
Gotta love this gem in response to an LIZF post: That's the difference, you guys respect Duke. We don't respect Gonzaga. You guys haven't done anything to earn respect from a blue blood

thespywhozaggedme
03-28-2015, 09:07 PM
A mod changed the thread title and deleted the op and listed "kharmic reasons" as to why it was edited. :roll:

MDABE80
03-28-2015, 09:19 PM
When I was at Duke showing them how to measure coronary arty blood flow, it was quite obvious most of their students are from everywhere BUT local. Harvard of the South is what the east coasters generally call Duke. Spoiled, ill tempered arrogant prep school kids with very very rich parentage.
But even more to the point, they don't matter now and they won't in 24 hrs.
Let 's just push em around with our bigs and have the "out front" cre keep em outside th key. We're Zags......they don't matter. They could get their ass*s beat tomorrow and they'd say the same things.

Thee foregin kids that come there, in general, don't pick up the habits displayed on their board. They actually come to learn!! lol Imagine that.

TexasZagFan
03-29-2015, 03:19 AM
When I was at Duke showing them how to measure coronary arty blood flow, it was quite obvious most of their students are from everywhere BUT local. Harvard of the South is what the east coasters generally call Duke. Spoiled, ill tempered arrogant prep school kids with very very rich parentage.
But even more to the point, they don't matter now and they won't in 24 hrs.
Let 's just push em around with our bigs and have the "out front" cre keep em outside th key. We're Zags......they don't matter. They could get their ass*s beat tomorrow and they'd say the same things.

Thee foregin kids that come there, in general, don't pick up the habits displayed on their board. They actually come to learn!! lol Imagine that.

I couldn't be more proud of Shem. He made the WCC All Academic team this year, a feat I can't imagine. I lived in Germany for 4 years, and became very proficient in German, to the point of Germans looking at me quizzically when I'd first meet them: "this guy really looks like an American GI, but he's got no accent." I was equally conversant in the more forgiving Hunsrucker dialect in Rhineland Pfalz, or in Hoch Deutsch when I was visiting friends near Kiel.

Attending a German university never crossed my mind.

Today, we will be in attendance, my 3 children and grandson. My heart is full.

bballbeachbum
03-29-2015, 07:28 AM

exactly. let's see the big bad P5 schools spine up and schedule road games with the top mid majors, year after year, in their OOC. LOL! it's a racket promoted by righteous arrogance. awesome!

JJsJumpshot
03-29-2015, 08:48 AM
Every site has its ignorant, profane and belligerent posters. We are not immune. We recognize ours do not represent us, our team or the university; rather, their infantile exhibitionism demeans themselves. Duke is a great school, and has a basketball program that has earned respect. They have an all-too-rare coach who wins but is a sportsman, and who seizes responsibility for his players' success in their lives, not just on the court. They built a reputation for fans who got under opponents' skins through creative, sometimes humorous, sometimes biting barbs. Sound familiar? It should. The Duke fans, and ours, are perhaps a bit less clever in recent years, but retain their enthusiasm without diving for the gutter. Usually, threads like the one cited on the Duke site just serve a fodder for opponents' bulletin boards. This one is not even close to reaching that level.

Zag fans should burst with pride in their team that will play Duke for the right to go to the Final Four. If GU wins, that will be a spectacular achievement, because the Duke team has a history of excellence. I really hope that happens, but most of all, I hope our players are at the top of their talents and perform well. They have earned their way here, and deserve praise. (Plus, that will taste like bile to the guttersnipes.)

GO ZAGS! Your year! Beat Duke! Then shake hands with worthy competitors!

This is basically right. One downside of being a national program in the internet age is that often it's the fans who aren't actually alumni that are the loudest/ugliest/most profane on these message boards. Look, I'm a Duke grad. Are a ton of us arrogant elitists? Probably. But I can also guarantee you that 99% of the ignorant vitriol that is spewed on the Duke scout.com board is not coming from us. I'm sure Gonzaga has their band wagon fans on these boards too, but from what I can tell the vast majority of the GU basketball community either went to GU or is closely associated (e.g. through family). And you guys have a tremendous fan base. Passionate and extremely knowledgeable.

Here's some quick hitters from the actual chatter among Dukies:
(1) We know we have the better team, and you will have no answer for Jah other than the double.
(2) We think Gonzaga may have the best offense in the country.
(3) We always - year after year - have trouble evaluating your relative strength given you conference/schedule.
(4) Because of (3), a lot of people write you off by leaning on the fallacious "previous years" argument. But this GU team is by far the best you've had and is fully capable of winning a NC.
(5) There is a mixture of nervousness and confidence ahead of this game depending who you ask.

Personally, I'm high on Gonzaga, and I've been back and forth on my predictions. At the end of the day I just think we have too much elite talent. But I think the game is decided by < 5 points.

Is some of that arrogant? I think it's about what you'd get from any fan base, given we all look through our own team's shaded lenses.

MickMick
03-29-2015, 08:55 AM
This is basically right. One downside of being a national program in the internet age is that often it's the fans who aren't actually alumni that are the loudest/ugliest/most profane on these message boards. Look, I'm a Duke grad. Are a ton of us arrogant elitists? Probably. But I can also guarantee you that 99% of the ignorant vitriol that is spewed on the Duke scout.com board is not coming from us. I'm sure Gonzaga has their band wagon fans on these boards too, but from what I can tell the vast majority of the GU basketball community either went to GU or is closely associated (e.g. through family). And you guys have a tremendous fan base. Passionate and extremely knowledgeable.

(1) We know we have the better team, and you will have no answer for Jah other than the double.
(3) We always - year after year - have trouble evaluating your relative strength given you conference/schedule.
(4) Because of (3), a lot of people write you off by leaning on the fallacious "previous years" argument. But this GU team is by far the best you've had and is fully capable of winning a NC.
(5) There is a mixture of nervousness and confidence ahead of this game depending who you ask.

Personally, I'm high on Gonzaga, and I've been back and forth on my predictions. At the end of the day I just think we have too much elite talent. But I think the game is decided by < 5 points.

Is some of that arrogant? I think it's about what you'd get from any fan base, given we all look through our own team's shaded lenses.

We will not pull a Notre Dame at the end. Not this time. Duke better get a big lead and hold it or they are going down.

Further, your point #1 is part of the arrogance argument as we are conditioned to believing we have the best team, week after week, and the team has not done anything to make us believe otherwise. Indeed, our coach has the highest winning percentage in the history of college basketball. We believe we have an answer for Jah and we question if you have the better team. The Utah performance was not jaw dropping.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-29-2015, 09:15 AM

Our large front court should be able to weather the Okafor onslaught better than most teams. I went back and looked at the box score from your game against Wisconsin - a game that I watched. Okafor was hardly dominant against Wisconsin's big front line. He had 13 points and 6 rebounds. That is a decent performance, but hardly overwhelming. FWIW, Winslow had 5 and 5. Your guards won that game.

Welcome to our forum.

bballbeachbum
03-29-2015, 09:57 AM

seems to me even us band wagoners keep it relatively together here on the GU board, with respect and without the vitriol (although we probably bring plenty of ignorance), another prop to the GU community influence. and of course 99% of the ignorant vitriol spewed on your board isn't from you all...it's from them ;)

JJsJumpshot
03-29-2015, 11:39 AM
seems to me even us band wagoners keep it relatively together here on the GU board, with respect and without the vitriol (although we probably bring plenty of ignorance), another prop to the GU community influence. and of course 99% of the ignorant vitriol spewed on your board isn't from you all...it's from them ;)

Win 4 national championships and you'll attract plenty of undesirables too. It's the difference between having a couple hundred thousand fans and millions of fans. That's just the reality of a national program. You have the luxury of having a free board dominated by the GU community. The Duke free boards are dominated by who knows who. And I'm guessing most here don't subscribe to Duke premium boards where we actually discuss hoops without the riff raff noise.

willandi
03-29-2015, 11:42 AM
Win 4 national championships and you'll attract plenty of undesirables too. It's the difference between having a couple hundred thousand fans and millions of fans. That's just the reality of a national program. You have the luxury of having a free board dominated by the GU community. The Duke free boards are dominated by who knows who. And I'm guessing most here don't subscribe to Duke premium boards where we actually discuss hoops without the riff raff noise.

Are the members of the Duke premium boards ALL arrogant, or are there some less condescending people too?

JJsJumpshot
03-29-2015, 11:59 AM
Are the members of the Duke premium boards ALL arrogant, or are there some less condescending people too?

No, the arrogance is definitely rife (which I acknowledged in my first post). It's the poorly formed arguments, half-baked insults and general ignorance that the linked thread illustrates that we object too. Gonzaga is a hell of a team and our "fans" who don't respect that don't really understand the game or the moment.

bballbeachbum
03-29-2015, 12:04 PM

you're right, I do not subscribe to the premium to keep the riff raff out. congratulations on your four national championships

willandi
03-29-2015, 12:05 PM
Just seemed to be a little also in the 'win 4 NC's, see your fan base go to millions instead of hundreds of thousands', also

Fortunately. this afternoon we will see which team is better, if only for today.

JJsJumpshot
03-29-2015, 12:13 PM
Just seemed to be a little also in the 'win 4 NC's, see your fan base go to millions instead of hundreds of thousands', also

Fortunately. this afternoon we will see which team is better, if only for today.

No I get that. And there might have been unintentionally. But that's the reality of sports, and also one of the idiosyncracies of college sports in particular.. With the pros, fans come from all over and it's ultimately about the city. With most schools - like GU - it's about the school. With Duke, there's a bifurcation between the fan base where it's "about the school" and as a result, about the team; and those where it's just about the basketball team winning to glorify their own ego. For the most part, I don't think GU has the latter. Like I said, most GU fans are closely tied to the school. And I'm a Seattle guy so I think I get the dynamic to some extent.

sittingon50
03-29-2015, 04:12 PM
A huskie & a dookie! Can't get much better than that!

JJsJumpshot
03-29-2015, 05:27 PM
A huskie & a dookie! Can't get much better than that!

More of a Zags fan that I'd ever be a Husky. In any case, nice season to you all.

Lakesbison
03-30-2015, 06:23 AM
Man even NDSU didn't treat you as bad as duke fans. Haha. J/kidd.

We call them FUKE