PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Duke!

23dpg
03-27-2015, 08:27 PM
We can beat these guys!
Any guesses for an opening line? I'm guessing Duke -1.5.

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
03-27-2015, 08:28 PM
LETSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Final4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We can do it!!!!!!!! :)

Ekrub
03-27-2015, 08:30 PM
What an opportunity. Chance to go to the F4 against a blue blood. Pressure is off, just play zag basketball. Work on shooting in that building and do what we do best. Pound the paint and drain those threes.

Marcus
03-27-2015, 08:31 PM
Duke at -2.5 is what a friend just texted me

caduceus
03-27-2015, 08:35 PM
Guess we're wearin' blue on Sunday!

KStyles
03-27-2015, 08:40 PM
Duke at -2.5 is what a friend just texted me

http://i.imgur.com/cKcGJbk.png
http://i.imgur.com/DH8dOyF.png

krozman
03-27-2015, 08:43 PM
We should wear road black....so our players just merge into the background of that dumb dome and they pass the ball right to us.

DixieZag
03-27-2015, 08:47 PM
I honestly think we can win. In fact, I honestly think it is more likely than not that we will win. 51-49.

Strangely at peace and confident. I suspect it is b/c I think the team is also. They've finally gotten all the monkeys off the back, SS 16, beat UCLA, have come as far as any Zag team every, and now come in as an underdog. They can just let it fly and see what happens.

I also think we match up pretty well with them, and can get Oka in foul trouble.

I think we win.

thespywhozaggedme
03-27-2015, 08:48 PM
Bachynski and Poetel shut down Okafor. Me thinks Shem, Don'tmiss and Kyle are better than the Utah bigs. Winslow is 6'6 and playing the pf spot.

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-27-2015, 08:50 PM
We can beat these guys!
Any guesses for an opening line? I'm guessing Duke -1.5.

I actually think there will be a lot of people taking Gonzaga at +2.5 so it will be interesting to see the movement.

Marcus
03-27-2015, 08:53 PM
I actually think there will be a lot of people taking Gonzaga at that number, Duke -2.5

I'm leaning the other way, the Duke fan base is huge and probably won't respect the Zags. Still a lot of comments out there like wait till they play a good team coming from the east coasters. I see it getting to Duke -3.5 by game time

CDC84
03-27-2015, 08:57 PM
The bigger matchup problem for GU in this game is Winslow....not Okafor. They really have no one who can guard him. He's also likely to get the Wiltjer assignment. The kid is an elite defender.

ZagMan in Philly
I love being the underdog in this one.
Zags win by 5...experience, size, will be the difference.
Go Zags!!

btzag
I love this matchup.

Okafor is great but can he and Winslow beat Karno, Wiltjer and Sabonis?

Will Cook and Tyus Jones outplay Pangos and Bell and Mac?

Do Matt Jones and Jefferson outplay Wesley and Drang?

Maybe I'm a homer but I love Gonzaga to win all three of those matchups.

btzag
03-27-2015, 09:00 PM
The bigger matchup problem for GU in this game is Winslow....not Okafor. They really have no one who can guard him. He's also likely to get the Wiltjer assignment. The kid is an elite defender.

No depth though, pound it inside over and over and over again. Duke does not have a Sabonis off the bench inside. If you put Okafor or Winslow in foul trouble Duke is in trouble. Oh and they don't have a McClellan or Dranginis off the bench either. My prediction? Our bench wins this game for us.

Marcus
03-27-2015, 09:01 PM

They have Winslow playing the 4 don't they? That matchup works in our favour for him on D. Sabonis should be able to get him in the post, same with Wiltjer. Make him work on D down low.

CDC84
03-27-2015, 09:07 PM
Got to hope the GU bigs don't get in early foul trouble.

Marcus
03-27-2015, 09:08 PM

That is the kicker isn't it.

uZiGiZaG
03-27-2015, 09:16 PM
I really hope the game plan is to NOT double team Okafor.

Id rather let him get his 15-20 and not give those shooters open looks bc that's how Duke kills you.

They beg you to double, and when you do, they make you pay!

Karnowski and Sabonis are both great matchups for Okafor on both ends of the court IMO. Defensvily Karno is exactly what Okafor struggles against, big men that he can't over power. Offensively, I think Sabonis can take him at WILL! Karno too! Gotta get him in foul trouble! Just don't double!!

DixieZag
03-27-2015, 09:29 PM
From the Duke Board (I think we've "arrived.") https://duke.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1690&tid=211613883&mid=211613883&sid=1021&style=2

When Your Elite 8 Cinderella Team is?

Michigan State? You've got one hell of an Elite 8.

I love the powers all making it - Cinderella's are great for a while, but watching the Blue Bloods (Minus the Holes) Duke (yeah, you caught that, too ) it out makes for a great finish to the tourney.

Kentucky
Notre Dame
Wisconsin
Arizona
Louisville
Michigan State
Duke
Gonzaga.

I'll take it

We're a "Blue Blood"

LongIslandZagFan
03-27-2015, 09:38 PM
I found myself rooting for Duke. Honestly think the match up was/is better than Utah.

DixieZag
03-27-2015, 09:47 PM
I found myself rooting for Duke. Honestly think the match up was/is better than Utah.

Me, too.

And, for anyone who doesn't hate Duke? Go to their SCOUT Forum and peruse the 8 page "Gonzaga Sucks!" thread. http://duke.scout.com/forums/1386-tdd-hoops?s=167

They are absolutely everything you dreamed Dookies might be like.

It's going to be so nice beating them.

MDABE80
03-27-2015, 09:51 PM
Experience is the big key in this. Duke's mostly freshmen. WInslow is good but he's 6 ft 6 in......Draino is made for this as is Wesley.
As far as their guards go, Bell, Kevin, McCellan all match up well if they focus. Duke's guards are 6 ft 1in ( in shoes) and are uick but not like THAT quick.

Our bigs will have to contain their. I think they can. Okafor is 6 ft 10in with some nice moves but he can be pushedoff the block. Plumley is good too. We have 3 excellent bigs plus a nice 6 ft 8 in bench to give some fouls.
I think this is the first time I didn't think we'd get creamed by Duke. Defense wins this. More than ever....this game can be won with defense.

sittingon50
03-27-2015, 09:57 PM
We should wear road black....so our players just merge into the background of that dumb dome and they pass the ball right to us.

:clap:

demian
03-27-2015, 10:41 PM
totally agree, but go zags anbyway

CdAZagFan
03-28-2015, 12:16 AM
I was glad to see Duke win... Now that the monkey is off the back, let's take down King Kong! Nothing to lose, boys... Go out, leave it all out there on the floor and play loose.

TravelinZag
03-28-2015, 02:39 AM
Play this game like it is your last. Then, it won't be.

Robzagnut
03-28-2015, 04:07 AM
Will the whole country except for Duke be cheering for GU?

Zagger
03-28-2015, 04:18 AM
Dook's goin' down!
http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/beatdook.png

CarolinaZagFan
03-28-2015, 04:24 AM
I think we'll be alright against Okafor. I'd put GBJ on Jones and Pangos on Cook. Winslow is a matchup problem for sure. I think Wesley and Sabonis would be able to guard him the best.

03-28-2015, 05:28 AM
http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/entry/the_nrg_effect

NRG shooting stats...

03-28-2015, 05:32 AM
I think we'll be alright against Okafor. I'd put GBJ on Jones and Pangos on Cook. Winslow is a matchup problem for sure. I think Wesley and Sabonis would be able to guard him the best.

It will be Wes on Winslow most likely right? Makes you think of that summer league pic of Wes guarding Harden. Of course Winslow is no Harden and a bit taller.

gueastcoast
03-28-2015, 05:49 AM
Stopped by their Scout board (saw that LIZF has posted there...nice work) and it struck me as a more respectful crew than I had seen when they were whingeing about us possibly stealing their #1 seed. They sound cautiously confident but seem to realize they're in for a battle Sunday.

TexasZagFan
03-28-2015, 05:53 AM

I expect we'll see Nunez sooner rather than later. He could play a big role against Winslow with his length and athleticism.

sweezag
03-28-2015, 06:41 AM
From LA Times:

"They're old," Krzyzewski said when asked about Gonzaga in his postgame TV interview.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ncaa-tournament-20150328-story.html

willandi
03-28-2015, 07:34 AM

The zebras called some unusual fouls against Utah last night. I hope they let the teams play, but call the 'real' fouls.

As an aside, I would like to see a rule in place where the only time a coach or player can speak to, or at, a ref is deadball. If Coach K, or Coach Few doesn't like a call he can wait until the next deadball and speak to the ref, he can yell at the ref as the ref runs past and a timeout is called, or, if the team has no more t/o, a technical. It would slow down the refs being intimidated by yelling coaches. Same with players. I can't think many coaches would be happy having a t/o called because a player complained about a call, or a no call, to the ref. I think it would make a cleaner, nicer and more fair game.

But what do I know...I'm just a fan!

willandi
03-28-2015, 07:35 AM
From LA Times:

"They're old," Krzyzewski said when asked about Gonzaga in his postgame TV interview.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ncaa-tournament-20150328-story.html

He should play BYU!

VinnyZag
03-28-2015, 07:46 AM
Man to man match ups are tough for GU defensively. Wesley makes the most sense vs. Winslow, but then who does Wiltjer guard? This isn't Iowa ... Duke won't get confused and discombobulated like they did.

I don't know if they'll do it, because they haven't done it much all season, but this might be a time to try a zone. Hope Duke can't shoot in that dome.

john montana
03-28-2015, 08:11 AM
Man to man match ups are tough for GU defensively. Wesley makes the most sense vs. Winslow, but then who does Wiltjer guard? This isn't Iowa ... Duke won't get confused and discombobulated like they did.

I don't know if they'll do it, because they haven't done it much all season, but this might be a time to try a zone. Hope Duke can't shoot in that dome.

I'm betting Wiltjer is on Matt Jones, and then Amile Jefferson when/if Duke goes big. Jones can shoot, and is actually pretty capable of putting his head down and driving, but he would be driving right into Shem so I would rather see that than any Duke player standing with their feet set firing threes. It really comes down to Winslow I think. I don't see us going zone...few seems really confident in our man to man and I bet he sticks with that. Zone makes sense to me and I'd like to see us switch defenses a bit. Winslow is a nightmare...big, strong, fast, and he shoots the ball well enough to keep you honest. If you guard him with a smaller player Duke has some nifty high low schemes to get him in the post too. Most importantly with Winslow...when he gets a defensive rebound you MUST stop his dribble. he loves to fly down the court and is big and talented enough to bounce off guys and go coast to coast. When he does that he really gets going too. Can't give him any run outs.

Assuming both teams shoot the ball better, this should be one heck of a game. We have a clear depth advantage and need to absolutely POUND the ball inside to PK, KW and Sabonis . take Okafor off the floor and they are a different team. They can still be effective with plumlee, but more of a continuity offense than the dump down and pass out of double. I want to see us go big...I love KW, but when Winslow is playing the 4 I want to see Sabonis in there, and sitting on that left block. If we can get Winslow in foul trouble it takes away a huge defensive and offensive weapon for duke.

TexasZagFan
03-28-2015, 08:28 AM

Our coaching staff will come up with the right defensive scheme. Few's made some crucial adjustments over the past several games. Our bench will play a big role in this game.

kitzbuel
03-28-2015, 08:54 AM
Utah out rebounded Duke, particularly on the offensive boards. If Duke lets GU do that and GU comes close to its season FG% average Duke is in trouble.

Utah had a ton more possessions but didn't shoot well. Zags need to focus on being efficient and getting their looks.

willandi
03-28-2015, 08:57 AM
Utah out rebounded Duke, particularly on the offensive boards. If Duke lets GU do that and GU comes close to its season FG% average Duke is in trouble.

Utah had a ton more possessions but didn't shoot well. Zags need to focus on being efficient and getting their looks.

The Utes missed a lot of bunnies, especially early! Zags can't do that and expect to win.

I don't think they will miss.

ZAGS WIN!!!

RenoZag
03-28-2015, 09:11 AM
Coach K on his young team (from the Utah Post game presser)

Q. Your players kind of touched on this, but do these guys seem like freshmen to you at this point in the season?

COACH KRZYZEWSKI:

They're still freshmen in the fact that you have to recognize that they're young. Like Justise, he just turned 19. The guys we're playing against on Sunday are probably 22, 23. There's a difference. Now, we've had experiences though together in playing in great conference in the ACC and a great non-conference schedule. So, hopefully we've got enough experience to play huge in that game on Sunday.

This has been one of my favorite groups. I mean, they've been easy to coach and they really get along. There's never an -- there's only a good attitude, only a good attitude and a willingness to learn. So, sometimes freshmen don't learn that until they're older, but these guys knew it from the beginning, that's why they've had a special year.

HillBillyZag
03-28-2015, 09:32 AM
Duke's a great Basketball Program with a Hall of Fame Coach. I disliked them years ago when they were in the old Southern Conference with WVU. Since my conversion to Zagmania , however, I've come to despise them. GU 71- Duke 61. " The Butler did it !" and now Gonzaga is the "Perp".

ZagsGoZags
03-28-2015, 10:11 AM
I hope our team can get some time for practice shooting in the dome
to try to adjust to the depth perception issues

JJsJumpshot
03-28-2015, 11:59 AM
I'm betting Wiltjer is on Matt Jones, and then Amile Jefferson when/if Duke goes big. Jones can shoot, and is actually pretty capable of putting his head down and driving, but he would be driving right into Shem so I would rather see that than any Duke player standing with their feet set firing threes. It really comes down to Winslow I think. I don't see us going zone...few seems really confident in our man to man and I bet he sticks with that. Zone makes sense to me and I'd like to see us switch defenses a bit. Winslow is a nightmare...big, strong, fast, and he shoots the ball well enough to keep you honest. If you guard him with a smaller player Duke has some nifty high low schemes to get him in the post too. Most importantly with Winslow...when he gets a defensive rebound you MUST stop his dribble. he loves to fly down the court and is big and talented enough to bounce off guys and go coast to coast. When he does that he really gets going too. Can't give him any run outs.

Assuming both teams shoot the ball better, this should be one heck of a game. We have a clear depth advantage and need to absolutely POUND the ball inside to PK, KW and Sabonis . take Okafor off the floor and they are a different team. They can still be effective with plumlee, but more of a continuity offense than the dump down and pass out of double. I want to see us go big...I love KW, but when Winslow is playing the 4 I want to see Sabonis in there, and sitting on that left block. If we can get Winslow in foul trouble it takes away a huge defensive and offensive weapon for duke.

I've seen this sentiment posted a few times. Don't you guys basically play eight deep? Duke plays eight. Maybe I'm missing something.

^^ Also, predicting that either one of these teams wins the game by 10+ points seems pretty misguided..

john montana
03-28-2015, 02:00 PM
I've seen this sentiment posted a few times. Don't you guys basically play eight deep? Duke plays eight. Maybe I'm missing something.

^^ Also, predicting that either one of these teams wins the game by 10+ points seems pretty misguided..

Gu has 8 guys averaging more than 17 minutes a game, 9 if you factor in Eric McClellan who has been getting a lot more minutes down the stretch. Duke has 6. I think Allen has been better and better as the season has gone along but I don't think it is a stretch at all to say GU has more depth. How much that really matters is the big question. Cook frequently plays the entire game, he never gets in fouls trouble. I don't think we are going to face a "tired" Duke team at any point.

I think any Duke fan would agree with me that Okafor is a much bigger problem for a defense than Plumlee. I expect us to get the ball inside and make okafor defend. I think we will cross matchup and put Wesley on Winslow (who scares the hell out of me in this game) and I bet we go big with sabonis and karnowski. If Winslow has to guard sabonis on the block that should be good for GU. Obviously we will have trouble matching up (sabonis on Matt jones?) on our end too. Whoever wins those early matchups and puts foul pressure on the other team will have a great chance to win.

Going to be a great game!