PDA

View Full Version : Tough shooting background

Section 116
03-27-2015, 06:37 PM
There is an additional radio show called GU Gameday Live, which follows the post game show on local radio KGA 1510. I'm not sure of the names of the two guys doing the show but the early discussion was the difficulty both teams had in shooting the ball. They noted there were some changes in the backdrop this year with the addition of the black "curtains" since the last time these kinds of basketball games were played there and the fact it didn't appear to help much. One of the interesting things they discussed was a what if. What if the Zags did make it to the Final Four? They would be the only one of the qualifiers for the Final Four who played in a "dome" if you will. The other regionals are being played in more traditional arenas and the Zags would have had the opportunity to have already played two games in a "non traditional" court setting. Would this be any advantage? The guys were having quite a discussion about this and I thought it quite interesting as Duke and Utah are not exactly lighting things up either.

Hoopaholic
03-27-2015, 08:09 PM
the issue is the distance from backboard to the crowd that extra void creates perception issues
then the wing corner shots have a huge void before eyes adjust to focus on rims

Marcus
03-27-2015, 09:13 PM
There is an additional radio show called GU Gameday Live, which follows the post game show on local radio KGA 1510. I'm not sure of the names of the two guys doing the show but the early discussion was the difficulty both teams had in shooting the ball. They noted there were some changes in the backdrop this year with the addition of the black "curtains" since the last time these kinds of basketball games were played there and the fact it didn't appear to help much. One of the interesting things they discussed was a what if. What if the Zags did make it to the Final Four? They would be the only one of the qualifiers for the Final Four who played in a "dome" if you will. The other regionals are being played in more traditional arenas and the Zags would have had the opportunity to have already played two games in a "non traditional" court setting. Would this be any advantage? The guys were having quite a discussion about this and I thought it quite interesting as Duke and Utah are not exactly lighting things up either.

I think it could be an advantage going forward. It sure wouldn't hurt anything having played the previous two games in a dome environment.

kitzbuel
03-28-2015, 08:07 AM
Kenpom has gathered shooting stats on NRG Football Stadium.

http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/entry/the_nrg_effect

it appears that it’s only slightly easier to make 3-point shots at NRG Stadium than it is on an aircraft carrier.

Zagceo
03-28-2015, 08:10 AM
the issue is the distance from backboard to the crowd that extra void creates perception issues
then the wing corner shots have a huge void before eyes adjust to focus on rims

explains 13-17 free throw shooting

Hoopaholic
03-28-2015, 09:23 AM
explains 13-17 free throw shooting

exactly, standing at the free throw line you can focus before shooting and exclude backdrops....thus why good free throw shooters don't even see what the rowdy fans are doing during a free throw

that is the static line of shooting, versus catch and shoot where your eyes transition from catching the ball to the rim and with the depth perception it alters the normal focal opportunities

just like an auto focus lense on your camera.....it will go in and out of focus when you have something close and some depth wise in the distance....

BobZag
03-28-2015, 09:37 AM
I believe the two fellas are Toby and Moose Jaw. Yes, Moose Jaw. I'm sure Bear Skin and Wolf Tooth are his parents.

Looking into that black curtain reminded me of the Star Trek Voyager episode "Night," where there are no stars, no nothing, just pitch black empty space. It sucks.

rennis
03-28-2015, 09:57 AM
Shoot around today should help a lot. GU can't beat Duke without making at least a handful of 3s. They've got to get that environment dialed-in.

By the end of the 1st half I was cringing at every 3 attempt. You just knew they were not going to go down, it was frustrating to watch.

I think it will be different tomorrow.

baitcast
03-28-2015, 10:33 AM
All 4 teams seemed to suffer from the same thing, so we went: clap: inside and all was well, be happy its our strength :drool:
Rob

JPtheBeasta
03-28-2015, 11:08 AM
It's hard enough to watch as a spectator. All of the people I was watching the game with complained how everything just seemed to be "off." I can't imaging trying to shoot a 3 there with a hand in your face.

It's funny- in regards to an ealier post- during the game, I suggested to my peeps that the Zags do their next shoot-around on an aircraft carrier... :)

CDC84
03-28-2015, 01:08 PM
That black curtain was erected at the 2008 regionals at NRG Stadium (then Reliant Stadium). The reasoning at the time is that it provided a better shooting background, and also, there were just too many unoccupied seats behind the baskets.

I tend to agree with hoopaholic that the distance between the fans behind the basket and the floor is a major issue. If you watched any of the games in Syracuse last night at the Carrier Dome, they have seats right behind the basket...just like a regular sports arena. Also, I mentioned this during the game.....the rims at NRG are brand new. How do I know? GU had seven in and out misses, and I don't recall a single shooter's bounce throughout the Gonzaga/UCLA game. Because basketball is never played at that dome, I'm sure they had purchase new rims.