PDA

View Full Version : Why This Game Means So Much To Me

tobizag
03-27-2015, 09:02 AM
a few years back, a thread was started on this board about our favorite piece of memorabilia...many of you were touched by my story regarding my zag swag. here again, on this day:

in her last year with us, my mom found peaceful escape and joy in rooting on her beloved bulldogs as they had one of the finest seasons in school history. basketball was my first love, and her love of gonzaga basketball was one way that she continued to love her son. i was always her underdog...gonzaga was always our underdog.

one of my friends, a walk on that year, was kind enough that season to speak with the coaching staff about mom's struggles and her love of the team, and she soon found herself in possession of hand signed well wishes from coaches few, grier, rice, and lloyd, and this poster, signed by most members of the team. it hung proudly on the wall over her hospital bed at home from the moment she received it until the day she died at home. it remained there until dad sold the house, and it now will hang in my home where fiona will be raised a proper bulldog fan just like grandma kathryn was.

i know i care too much about sports. i know it's silly to find yourself using phrases like "WE didn't play well enough" or "WE killed those guys tonight". but i can't help it. it's in my soul. i've always been, and always will be, hopelessly addicted to my school and my team.

9 days after mom died, WE found ourselves on the precipice of the elite 8. up 9, with 3 to go... i can't tell you what that felt like. today we have a chance to exorcise those demons. it's been a long time coming.

GO ZAGS!!!!

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s607/David_Tobias/gonzaga%20poster_zpsb1q6dxed.jpg

gonzagafan62
03-27-2015, 09:40 AM
What a great day. I couldn't agree with you more either, in saying that I care too much about sports (particularly the Bulldogs) and use "WE"

Thanks for sharing. Awesome story, awesome photo too.

I hope we can break these demons tonight.

Go Bulldogs

'62

uZiGiZaG
03-27-2015, 09:55 AM
Love the post and story!!!

Salsageek
03-27-2015, 10:18 AM
Thanks for Sharing! Love it.
Go Zags!!! Beat UCLA!!!

gozagswoohoo
03-27-2015, 10:26 AM
Beautiful post. Thank you for sharing.

Let's do this zags!!

Hoopaholic
03-27-2015, 10:30 AM
a few years back, a thread was started on this board about our favorite piece of memorabilia...many of you were touched by my story regarding my zag swag. here again, on this day:

in her last year with us, my mom found peaceful escape and joy in rooting on her beloved bulldogs as they had one of the finest seasons in school history. basketball was my first love, and her love of gonzaga basketball was one way that she continued to love her son. i was always her underdog...gonzaga was always our underdog.

one of my friends, a walk on that year, was kind enough that season to speak with the coaching staff about mom's struggles and her love of the team, and she soon found herself in possession of hand signed well wishes from coaches few, grier, rice, and lloyd, and this poster, signed by most members of the team. it hung proudly on the wall over her hospital bed at home from the moment she received it until the day she died at home. it remained there until dad sold the house, and it now will hang in my home where fiona will be raised a proper bulldog fan just like grandma kathryn was.

i know i care too much about sports. i know it's silly to find yourself using phrases like "WE didn't play well enough" or "WE killed those guys tonight". but i can't help it. it's in my soul. i've always been, and always will be, hopelessly addicted to my school and my team.

9 days after mom died, WE found ourselves on the precipice of the elite 8. up 9, with 3 to go... i can't tell you what that felt like. today we have a chance to exorcise those demons. it's been a long time coming.

GO ZAGS!!!!

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s607/David_Tobias/gonzaga%20poster_zpsb1q6dxed.jpg

wow....amazing story and many threads that I can directly relate to.....

Marcus
03-27-2015, 10:53 AM
Thanks for sharing.

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
03-27-2015, 11:03 AM
I am crying right now. Maybe we can be the underdogs against Duke and Kentucky and win. Thanks for reaching out to us to express yourself.

Vxo

23dpg
03-27-2015, 11:07 AM
:allhail::allhail::allhail::allhail::allhail:

HRZag
03-27-2015, 11:54 AM
Great story. Thanks for sharing. Go Zags!

Reborn
03-27-2015, 01:44 PM
Thanks! Her love for the Zags lives on in you. Hope she's watching tonight.

Don't forget. Pass it on.