PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Edwards

ZagsGoZags
03-24-2015, 02:42 AM
has anyone heard how his RS year has been going?
is he getting a bit of a make-over too?
He looks like nearly all the baby fat has been gone for some time

GrizZAG
03-24-2015, 09:09 AM
Great question. Wondering the same thing.
Also, where the heck is the ultimate FAN WooHoo? He disappeared suddenly when we could use his fun.

gonzagafan62
03-24-2015, 09:12 AM
Great question. Wondering the same thing.
Also, where the heck is the ultimate FAN WooHoo? He disappeared suddenly when we could use his fun.

Did MS Paint break down, or get deleted? If so, that might be the cause. I love his MS Paint duties.

Zag 77
03-24-2015, 09:50 AM

Do you mean facials and going to a hair stylist?:D

sittingon50
03-24-2015, 09:51 AM
has anyone heard how his RS year has been going?
He looks like nearly all the baby fat has been gone for some time

IIRC it was stated some time ago that there have been a few practices where he was one of the better players on the floor.

GrizZAG
03-24-2015, 10:00 AM
One thing about Edwards, he has some serious competition in practice to learn the ropes from :)

GrizZAG
03-24-2015, 11:00 AM
I was able to contact WooHoo. He is up to his neck in school work and is just fine. He is as excited as all of us I am sure. He is just fine. His MS Paint is ok, but just not much free time being a dad, husband and hard working student. GO WOOHOO!
Love that kid...

Malastein
03-24-2015, 11:12 AM
Don't worry. There will be plenty of Travis Knight/Redshirt wonder stories with Ryan Edwards. We've had 2 in 3 years, and if Edwards is a beast that'll make 3 in 4 years. Gonzaga is becoming known as the school where red shirting a big guy does wonders. Can't wait for next, but this tourney is definitely the focus!

ZagsGoZags
03-24-2015, 12:55 PM
IIRC it was stated some time ago that there have been a few practices where he was one of the better players on the floor.

thanks, this is some news
would like it better if the report was consistently one of the better players, but this is good news
if all 3 bigs come back (I am braced for the idea that Kyle W may move on) I hope Ryan will still get lots of minutes, he has been the perfect patient zag

TheGonzagaFactor
03-24-2015, 01:03 PM
thanks, this is some news
would like it better if the report was consistently one of the better players, but this is good news
if all 3 bigs come back (I am braced for the idea that Kyle W may move on) I hope Ryan will still get lots of minutes, he has been the perfect patient zag

All the bigs are coming back. KW can leave if he wants to, but I don't think he wants to be in the D-League watching this Zag team next year. He could be an NBA guy but still has A LOT of work to do.

scott257
03-24-2015, 03:55 PM
I was thinking he played a huge role for us in keeping our bigs ready for games like this last one against Iowa. Being able to practice against Edwards gives Karnowski an edge the Iowa big guy really didn't have.

Baseline
03-24-2015, 04:22 PM
I think the physical aspect of Ryan has been well taken care of, just from looking at him. It would be of high interest to know what aspect they worked on for Ryan. He had a pretty high starting point to start. He had several problems that really hurt his time and integration. losing 50 pounds because of it must have been very hard and even with all these issues he looked very good physically so hope is high for a guy that can dominate.
What I would like to know is what skill development the coaches have had him working on. I hope its some face up moves as I want someone that aggressively goes to the basket.

RenoZag
03-24-2015, 05:22 PM
Ryan's brother tells me he has learned a lot in practice going up against Karnowski, Wiltjer, and Sabonis. The practices are "battles" and "wear him out."

Have also been told Ryan misses the action on the court but is glad he decided to take the red shirt.

Looking forward to seeing him in action next year.

scrooner
03-24-2015, 05:26 PM
I've got my #25 jersey all ready to go. Oh yeah!

ZagsGoZags
03-24-2015, 07:30 PM
Wow, thanks Reno.
That is great to hear

it sounds a little like Travis didn't find as many flaws to overhaul in Edwards as he found in KO and KW

hooter73
03-24-2015, 07:47 PM
Wow, thanks Reno.
That is great to hear

it sounds a little like Travis didn't find as many flaws to overhaul in Edwards as he found in KO and KW

Well that is probably the case. He was a "newer" player to the game over those two but still a much more natural center. He doesn't (or didn't) have the athleticism or hopps of KO and of course less of a game than either KW or KO, but all he really needed was endurance and experience. From Renos report, it sounds like he still is working on the endurance but who wouldn't get worn out banging against Karno and Sabonis and also trying to stay with KW and Nunez on switches and whatnot.

I'm excited.

GrizZAG
03-24-2015, 08:07 PM
My hope for Ryan is that he gets some attitude going. He is such a neat young man with the demeanor any mom would love but we need a little of that fire breathing Sabonis DNA to show up too. He certainly has a nice touch and soft hands and with a bit of aggressiveness he could be really good.

DixieZag
03-24-2015, 08:16 PM
I was so impressed with his hands and footwork last year. He sort of came here with the "project" label - no shame in that, lots of good players have.

But, when he was inserted into the games last year during tough times, his demeanor, confidence, hands and shot were so impressive.

Seems like a nice guy, smart, I'm sure he's a quick study. I agree with GrizZag, I want him to be the type that rebounds like Sabonis, like the ball had next week's Powerball numbers in it.

Birddog
03-25-2015, 04:25 AM
I was so impressed with his hands and footwork last year. He sort of came here with the "project" label - no shame in that, lots of good players have.

There were a few of us on this board of "experts" that thought he looked surprisingly good last year in his limited minutes. Decent shot from 8' to 10' out, I think I remember an impressive hook shot as well, soft hands, and excellent free throw shooter. There was one board member who led the charge with the "project" label. I don't think Edwards was more of a project than most guys his size and age. Remember too, he is a tennis player which I think was why his footwork was actually rather good, maybe not eye-popping, but not flawed either. I'm betting he is going to pleasantly surprise a lot of fans next year.

Hoopaholic
03-25-2015, 05:52 AM
There were a few of us on this board of "experts" that thought he looked surprisingly good last year in his limited minutes. Decent shot from 8' to 10' out, I think I remember an impressive hook shot as well, soft hands, and excellent free throw shooter. There was one board member who led the charge with the "project" label. I don't think Edwards was more of a project than most guys his size and age. Remember too, he is a tennis player which I think was why his footwork was actually rather good, maybe not eye-popping, but not flawed either. I'm betting he is going to pleasantly surprise a lot of fans next year.

bingo.......also a different kind of "rim protector" from the help side rotation he will bring to the table

TravelinZag
03-25-2015, 06:12 AM
Great news!! Today's teams at "guard u" wouldn't be the same without a steady flow of 7-footers, or near, under Knight tutelage. Keep the string going.

hooter73
03-25-2015, 08:47 AM
I'll be interested to see what moves he has developed. If he has learned to use his size to back down a defender (ala Karno) or some up and under moves (ala Sabonis) or if he has a completely different style. I think it was John Bryant that always surprised people with his face up game for how big a guy he was, would be neat to see if Edwards game develops into that type of an anomaly or something else entirely. And I agree with the idea of instilling some of that hard to naturally come by aggression. Hes going to garner a lot of fans attention early next year just to see what he ends up being able to do. Plus its always fun to watch other teams think they are getting a slight breather when a 7 foot 280 pound Karno subs out and their faces fall as they realize he is being replaced by another 7 foot 280 pound center :)

jagwalkley
03-25-2015, 09:27 AM
I am like you,really interested in Ryan's one year work.Next year is going to be another great year.Hope we get to here more on Travis work with him.They will all be back next year.

Zagdawg
03-25-2015, 09:27 AM
It will be nice to have a big who can hit 82% of his free throws available.