PDA

View Full Version : A Healthy, Therapeutic Experience: 2006

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-23-2015, 07:51 AM
This idea was deleted for some reason last night. Mods, I'm not a troll, I promise. I have nothing but everyone's best interests at heart.

It would be healthy for all of us to sit down and re-watch, from beginning to end, the UCLA game from 2006. It's on YouTube.

Enough time has passed, we're all adults here, and I'm sure we all want to exorcise that demon. It will feel so darn good to remove that weight.

I'll throw out a time: 11:00 ET/8:00 PT Tuesday night. (But open to other suggestions...). It'll take about an hour and 20 minutes.

I'll start a game thread, we can reminisce about the guys from that team and enjoy the first half minutes, and when the tough part comes, we'll have each other to lean on for support. Group therapy...strength in numbers.

And then it'll be over and done with forever, and when we're bombarded this week with highlights of Adam crying, it won't get under our skin. We'll have overcome it.

I still shudder to remember that night, but C'MON! We are Gonzaga fansówe're a strong, resilient bunch. We'll be better off for it, in my opinion.

Who's in?

raise the zag
03-23-2015, 07:54 AM
http://i.guim.co.uk/static/w-620/h--/q-95/sys-images/Politics/Pix/pictures/2012/8/25/1345896168928/Fifty-Shades-of-Grey-011.jpg

gonzagafan62
03-23-2015, 08:02 AM
See I'd prefer to watch the UCLA game in Pauley. At least the players are the same. That game, is definitely going to be jammed down our throats and hopefully some bulletin board material. Lets go Zags!

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-23-2015, 08:02 AM
Hahaha, well done.

But like I said—the vast majority of watching that game will be enjoyable. We played really well for most of it.

And getting to watch Adam Morrison play basketball is a treat, no matter what the circumstances.

raise the zag
03-23-2015, 08:08 AM
And getting to watch Adam Morrison play basketball is a treat, no matter what the circumstances.

Can't argue with this fact, yet I have horrible emotions/feelings/sadness when thinking about that night. My first year after graduating from GU. I don't wish to re-visit it, just not my style.

Tough on the heart & soul.

Its a new day, a new dawn, a new opportunity. My focus is ahead not behind. No rear-view mirror stuff, no need to recycle lost memories.

Let's beat UCLA on Friday! Elite 8 on Sunday!

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-23-2015, 08:11 AM
Can't argue with this fact, yet I have horrible emotions/feelings/sadness when thinking about that night. My first year after graduating from GU. I don't wish to re-visit it, just not my style.

Tough on the heart & soul.

Its a new day, a new dawn, a new opportunity. My focus is ahead not behind. No rear-view mirror stuff, no need to recycle lost memories.

Let's beat UCLA on Friday! Elite 8 on Sunday!

Fair enough. Personally, I like to revisit the past. Like it or not, we were involved in an all-time great game (actually, two...UCLA in '06 and Arizona in '03). We should embrace it. Lots of programs would LOVE to have been involved in a game like that, that everyone remembers years later. Even if they lost.

gonzagafan62
03-23-2015, 08:17 AM
By the way, its supposed to be sunny on Friday. Things looking good.

Zag4Hire
03-23-2015, 08:22 AM
This idea was deleted for some reason last night. Mods, I'm not a troll, I promise. I have nothing but everyone's best interests at heart.

It would be healthy for all of us to sit down and re-watch, from beginning to end, the UCLA game from 2006. It's on YouTube.

Enough time has passed, we're all adults here, and I'm sure we all want to exorcise that demon. It will feel so darn good to remove that weight.

I'll throw out a time: 11:00 ET/8:00 PT Tuesday night. (But open to other suggestions...). It'll take about an hour and 20 minutes.

I'll start a game thread, we can reminisce about the guys from that team and enjoy the first half minutes, and when the tough part comes, we'll have each other to lean on for support. Group therapy...strength in numbers.

And then it'll be over and done with forever, and when we're bombarded this week with highlights of Adam crying, it won't get under our skin. We'll have overcome it.

I still shudder to remember that night, but C'MON! We are Gonzaga fans—we're a strong, resilient bunch. We'll be better off for it, in my opinion.

Who's in?

Still haven't seen last minute or so of that game and I am not about to start now. Yes, the footage of the aftermath is unavoidable and I never cared for it being shoved down my throat. I am smiling already about this matchup so I don't care for rehashing the past considering everything is different this time around.

tinfoilzag
03-23-2015, 08:41 AM
That's okay. If I ever want that painful, sick feeling again I'll just have someone kick me in the junk.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-23-2015, 08:42 AM
Still haven't seen last minute or so of that game and I am not about to start now. Yes, the footage of the aftermath is unavoidable and I never cared for it being shoved down my throat. I am smiling already about this matchup so I don't care for rehashing the past considering everything is different this time around.

Fair enough. Totally respect that mentality. For me, I want to get over that night and I think rehashing it would help. Plus, from the perspective of a pure sports fan, it was a great game.

gonzagafan62
03-23-2015, 08:44 AM
Fair enough. Totally respect that mentality. For me, I want to get over that night and I think rehashing it would help. Plus, from the perspective of a pure sports fan, it was a great game.

This is a good point. I have watched the game over and over since that day going for a better result. The sad part is it always has the same ending. Let's beat the bruins.

PeninsulaDog
03-23-2015, 09:31 AM
Watching that game again is on my "to-do list", right behind watching film of the Hindenburg's arrival in New Jersey, the 2015 Super Bowl, "Titanic", and Karl Wallenda's final performance.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-23-2015, 09:41 AM
Watching that game again is on my "to-do list", right behind watching film of the Hindenburg's arrival in New Jersey, the 2015 Super Bowl, "Titanic", and Karl Wallenda's final performance.

Ha. Well, I guess I'm in the minority here. Honestly though, we've all had to own up to mistakes in our lives, we've all had to "forgive and forget" ex-girlfriends, co-workers, etc. And almost always, doing so is healthy.

I've been on a big self-improvement kick lately. Meditating, trying to be more at peace, etc. To each his own, and I don't mean to impose my attitude on others...but I honestly think this could help.

Zagquette
03-23-2015, 09:52 AM
Rather than having to put yourself through that misery, read this it only takes about two minutes and you will feel the same way

March Madness by Sherman Alexi (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/archive/index.php/t-6868.html)e

zagirl2k
03-23-2015, 10:47 AM
I was at that game, 7+ months pregnant, and have no desire to watch any of it ever again. The first half was a thing of beauty. The second half was a nightmare like no other. A 20+ point win on Friday would do wonders for all of Zagland.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-23-2015, 11:37 AM
I was at that game, 7+ months pregnant, and have no desire to watch any of it ever again.

Even if it would feel really good to face your demons head-on and bury them once and for all?

bulldoginpdx
03-23-2015, 11:48 AM
This is going to sound a little personal but dude give it a rest. I understand that you are saying this all out of a (given you the benefit of doubt) good place but their is no band aid fix or a work one work for all in life. I'm genuinely happy that you are on this big self-improvement kick and wish you the best in it. But you said it yourself SELF-IMPROVEMENT, so if it works for you great and more power to you; at the same time when you post a reply to nearly everyone else's reply of not wanting to share in YOUR self-improvement technique it becomes a bit off putting.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

DixieZag
03-23-2015, 12:06 PM
Even if it would feel really good to face your demons head-on and bury them once and for all?

I am seriously not trying to be a jerk.

Why on earth would re-watching it do anything at all? Good or bad? We know the end - and, as you said, we're all adults, it was painful. But, you're almost advocating the same thing as the guy who hits his head with a hammer b/c he knows it will feel so good when he stops.

Maybe you're advocating de-sensitization, like petting a snake. I don't like snakes, I have no desire to like snakes, I'm not petting a snake.

The single most healthy thing that can happen is for our guys to go out and kick their asses.

But, b/c it is always basketball, anything can happen, if for somehow we lost again (and we won't), the healthy thing to do is salute Gary and Kevin for bringing us back to the SS and the best four years of Zag basketball at least since 99-03.

UCLA 05' We lost, it sucked, Morrison was still awesome, we cried then, I'm not petting a damn snake.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-23-2015, 12:44 PM
You guys are right; I'll drop it. I am sorry for being pushy. But yes, it does come from a good place...and was hoping to have someone to endure it with, that's all.

mgadfly
03-23-2015, 02:15 PM
I just watched it. I don't feel any better. Or any worse. I forgot how clear of look Batista had at the end to tie it up. I'm just hoping we don't have the same commentator.

We started that game with PMAC, Raivio, Morrison, Mallon, and Batista. Such a different team back then.

RenoZag
03-23-2015, 02:16 PM
You guys are right; I'll drop it. I am sorry for being pushy. But yes, it does come from a good place...and was hoping to have someone to endure it with, that's all.

UCLA Fans insist on trotting out the mojo of a game played NINE YEARS ago.

Gonzaga fans ought to trot out the box score from THREE MONTHS ago.

Just sayin'

( goatee, your idea wasn't deleted it was merged into the "Zags Are Going to Lose to UCLA" thread . . .)

mgadfly
03-23-2015, 02:20 PM
I need to check my dvr to see if I have the earlier game recorded. Does anyone know if it is available or will be replayed before Friday's game?

RenoZag
03-23-2015, 02:23 PM
gadfly, the original broadcast was aired on ESPN2. . .you might poke around their video archives. You Tube might be another likely hunting ground for footage of the December Bruin defeat.

gonzagafan62
03-23-2015, 02:29 PM
gadfly, the original broadcast was aired on ESPN2. . .you might poke around their video archives. You Tube might be another likely hunting ground for footage of the December Bruin defeat.

Yes. You can watch it on YouTube. I watched it earlier.... It's on the "Robert Perry Network"

Team Oosik
03-23-2015, 06:26 PM
This thread idea reminded me of some long-distance relationship "dates" I had the misfortune of observing on occasion. Dude was in college, the girl back home still in high-school or at another college. They would have a "movie date" by renting the same movie, start it at the same time, and lovingly narrate it on the phone to each other. Of course the relationship soon ended abruptly and both would flunk out of school but hey, who's keeping score...

montanazag88
03-23-2015, 06:54 PM
The only good reason for watching that game, and it's a fairly solid reason, is to build a volcanic resolve to erase it with a win over the same iconic college brand....period.

kclubfounder
03-23-2015, 06:56 PM
STOP!!!! I'm trying to REPRESS that F'ing GAME!!!!! And you are NOT helping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXdM8fkup4Q

montanazag88
03-23-2015, 07:00 PM
STOP!!!! I'm trying to REPRESS that F'ing GAME!!!!! And you are NOT helping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXdM8fkup4Q

I rest my case...

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-23-2015, 08:34 PM
The only good reason for watching that game, and it's a fairly solid reason, is to build a volcanic resolve to erase it with a win over the same iconic college brand....period.

That's EXACTLY what I'm going for.

ZagaZags
03-23-2015, 08:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=J8TWd2N5KfM

DixieZag
03-23-2015, 08:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=J8TWd2N5KfM

I am not petting a snake.

TheZagPhish
03-23-2015, 09:32 PM
I'd rather brush my teeth with a single Jimmy Dean sausage for an entire year than watch that game again.

It'd be like visiting the sites of my past car crashes.

ZagaZags
03-23-2015, 11:39 PM
I'd rather brush my teeth with a single Jimmy Dean sausage for an entire year than watch that game again.

It'd be like visiting the sites of my past car crashes.

Just to be clear, the video I posted was from the game back in December.

ZagaZags
03-23-2015, 11:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9v291HXGKIU

ZagsGoZags
03-23-2015, 11:46 PM

I still shudder to remember that night, but C'MON! We are Gonzaga fansówe're a strong, resilient bunch. We'll be better off for it, in my opinion.

Who's in?

Hey Goatee,
I respect you for putting this out there. A lot of the people in here have had therapy or men's groups, etc. and what you are talking about is a grief thing. There are counselors who do nothing but grief work, and have a reasonably good track record.
The loss to UCLA back then was a knife in the gut, and still the most negative experience I have ever had with a sporting event. I just think a BB board is not a likely place to get any kind of therapy group organized, even on an informal basis. Besides, this board is filled with manly men and tough chicks. We rock !! Go Zags. Beating UCLA in another Sweet 16 setting would be three times more thrilling to me than the solid win we put on them 3 months go.

SwainZag
03-24-2015, 12:26 AM
Haven't seen the game since and really doubt I ever will. Is much rather watch "The Runner" game against Florida than have to live through that ending again.

rawkmandale
03-24-2015, 03:23 AM
Rather than having to put yourself through that misery, read this it only takes about two minutes and you will feel the same way

March Madness by Sherman Alexi (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/archive/index.php/t-6868.html)e

Thank you for posting this - first time read for me

DixieZag
03-24-2015, 06:24 AM
What if on Friday we unleashed the royal blue uniforms?

Because we'll be wearing white. :)

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-24-2015, 07:00 AM
Hey Goatee,
I respect you for putting this out there. A lot of the people in here have had therapy or men's groups, etc. and what you are talking about is a grief thing. There are counselors who do nothing but grief work, and have a reasonably good track record.
The loss to UCLA back then was a knife in the gut, and still the most negative experience I have ever had with a sporting event. I just think a BB board is not a likely place to get any kind of therapy group organized, even on an informal basis. Besides, this board is filled with manly men and tough chicks. We rock !! Go Zags. Beating UCLA in another Sweet 16 setting would be three times more thrilling to me than the solid win we put on them 3 months go.

Thank you for the kind words, ZGZ...you make a good point about a Zags forum being unlikely for this kind of thing. Just didn't know of anyone else who could relate to the pain of that night.

I think I (and others, I'd imagine) have the tendency to exaggerate and romanticize the past...to blow it out of proportion. Especially because I was so young back then. Not that I'll ever fully get over it, but I think re-watching will help me.

(However, I was at the Butler game in '13...and I've avoided all replays of the shot that beat us, and don't intend to see it any time soon haha)

gonzagafan62
03-24-2015, 07:08 AM
Thank you for the kind words, ZGZ...you make a good point about a Zags forum being unlikely for this kind of thing. Just didn't know of anyone else who could relate to the pain of that night.

I think I (and others, I'd imagine) have the tendency to exaggerate and romanticize the past...to blow it out of proportion. Especially because I was so young back then. Not that I'll ever fully get over it, but I think re-watching will help me.

(However, I was at the Butler game in '13...and I've avoided all replays of the shot that beat us, and don't intend to see it any time soon haha)

This one I have watched over and over. Why? This loss actually helped propel us to the #1 spot in the country, with the best team in the country.. I always wonder what would have happened if we won that game.... I certainly don't know if we would have climbed the ranks. Possible? Yes. Likely, in my opinion no. I still don't know why that pass was like that. Luckily, I was at my house with a friend and some brewskis that day. I remember everything about that day. One of the worst regular season endings (especially after the travel) ........ Erg, why pass it to Olynyk anyway? Dumb.

SteelCityZag
03-24-2015, 08:43 AM
This one I have watched over and over. Why? This loss actually helped propel us to the #1 spot in the country, with the best team in the country.. I always wonder what would have happened if we won that game.... I certainly don't know if we would have climbed the ranks. Possible? Yes. Likely, in my opinion no. I still don't know why that pass was like that. Luckily, I was at my house with a friend and some brewskis that day. I remember everything about that day. One of the worst regular season endings (especially after the travel) ........ Erg, why pass it to Olynyk anyway? Dumb.

We, as fans, interpret and process games in our own unique ways. No shame in that, no matter how we choose to do it.

As for me, I was at that game, and am still haunted by the sound the dormant UCLA fans made in the arena when they took the lead, with only seconds remaining on the clock. It was a perfect storm, and it combine against us.

I am comforted by one thought: These players likely have limited notion of that game. Nor should they. This team beat UCLA in Pauley this year. And it's their job to put wins and losses behind them, just the same, and to come out and compete as though there is no history at all. To wipe clean any memory so that they may perform at their utmost and play their very best.

And this, the Bulldogs will do. On that, I am certain.

GO ZAGS!

BruinPops
03-24-2015, 09:07 AM
First, I want to be upfront... I am a UCLA alum/fan. That said, I enjoy Zag basketball and am a Few fan. My advice, re: 2006... move on. If 2006 was a once in a lifetime chance that would be one thing; but so long as Few is there, it wasn't and won't be. There's no reason to believe that the Zags won't become more and more a basketball powerhouse. Bigtime programs have huge wins and devastating losses, especially in a single elimination tournament.

I completed my bracket with my brain. I have the Zags in the finals. My heart wants a different outcome Friday but should the Zags win, my heart will hope the Zags not only reach the final but win.

zagsfanforlife
03-24-2015, 09:10 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9v291HXGKIU

Was at this game vs Florida. Best moment I have ever had with my dad.

zagsfanforlife
03-24-2015, 09:10 AM
What if on Friday we unleashed the royal blue uniforms?

Because we'll be wearing white. :)

I would die of happiness

gonzagafan62
03-24-2015, 09:11 AM
First, I want to be upfront... I am a UCLA alum/fan. That said, I enjoy Zag basketball and am a Few fan. My advice, re: 2006... move on. If 2006 was a once in a lifetime chance that would be one thing; but so long as Few is there, it wasn't and won't be. There's no reason to believe that the Zags won't become more and more a basketball powerhouse. Bigtime programs have huge wins and devastating losses, especially in a single elimination tournament.

I completed my bracket with my brain. I have the Zags in the finals. My heart wants a different outcome Friday but should the Zags win, my heart will hope the Zags not only reach the final but win.

Thanks for the kind words and post. We enjoy/welcome an outsiders opinion. Glad to know you will be rooting for us shall we win. Again, thanks.

Reborn
03-24-2015, 10:08 AM
I was at that game, 7+ months pregnant, and have no desire to watch any of it ever again. The first half was a thing of beauty. The second half was a nightmare like no other. A 20+ point win on Friday would do wonders for all of Zagland.

I agree with zagirl. thanks for posting. I share the some of your feelings. Of course I was not pregnant, hahahahah. But why go back to that moment and relive it. In many ways I will always remember that game, and remember the reality it brings to my consciousness. Anything can happen. I'm a person who tries my best to live in today. No one does it perfectly, but I am not the kind of person who goes backwards, especially to remember pain. I remember the best of Adam Morrison, and I totally believe that he took this wonderful program to another level. Adam made other great athletes want to go to Gonzaga. He was living proof that you don't need to be an all American out of high school, a five star, in order to be an All-American and player of the year in NCAA basketball. And I really hope that Kyle Wiltjer comes back to GU next year to achieve that same height.

PeninsulaDog
03-24-2015, 10:27 AM
After the nutpunch of that 2006 game, I actually gave my tickets to the Elite 8 game (UCLA vs. Memphis) to a childhood pal who is a UCLA alumnus. I'd like to think I get some extra cosmic reward points for that gesture -- maybe the payoff is Friday.

Reborn
03-24-2015, 10:39 AM
After the nutpunch of that 2006 game, I actually gave my tickets to the Elite 8 game (UCLA vs. Memphis) to a childhood pal who is a UCLA alumnus. I'd like to think I get some extra cosmic reward points for that gesture -- maybe the payoff is Friday.

hahahahahahah hhahahahaha good post. YOU do DESERVE a pay back.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-25-2015, 11:34 AM
If anyone's interested (I know most of you aren't...avert your eyes! ) I journaled the 2006 game while re-watching it. It really emphasized how basketball is a game of inches. The game was hardly a class...turnovers left and right, very sloppy. It's just the comeback that gives it that label. If any one of about 20 things goes our way down the stretch, we win. (But then again, we got a huge break in the last two minutes as well).

Observations below...

UCLA’s first four shots were threes early in the shot clock, missed them all...Len Elmore sucked then and sucks now...jitters early on: Morrison traveled, Mallon fumbled a pass, then threw a pass out of bounds...Derek Raivio is so darn quick; he was the perfect point guard: shot threes and free throws really well and was a great ball handler. Can’t ask for much more from your PG...Zags got a FIVE point possession early in the first, Raivio making a three, Aflalo fouling Morrison during the shot, and Errol Knight making a layup...Errol Knight had a 102 fever that week, and STILL could jump out of the gym...15:00 left and I’m not getting the sense that Gonzaga’s playing all that well. UCLA is just a mess on both ends...Josh Hytvelt looks like James Franco.....17-5 Zags!! UCLA turning it over left and right! This is a total slopfest....At the under-12 timeout, Zags go into 1-2-2 zone. Whatever happened to that?....Hahaha Morrison is posting dudes up at the 3-point line. He was absurdly confident...

Zags lead 18-7 with 11:32 left in the first half. They easily could have been up by more...UCLA’s first field goal comes eight minutes and 45 seconds into the game...Batista just sank two SILKY free throws with 9:15 left to give the Zags a 22-12 lead. Man it was nice to have a big man who was so good from the line...19 fouls between the two teams at the 8:30 mark. People say this was a classic, but this first half has been anything but...Morrison forces a three and hits the backboard, but on the next possession he cuts to the bucket and gets two. 29-16, 7:00 left...Bruins take a timeout down 31-16 with 6:42 left. HOLY COW we’re +15!!...Not sure what to make of PMAC’s performance so far. No glaring mistakes, but not really contributing on either end...All of a sudden, Morrison is 5/7 after hitting four quick shots. He was so, so fun...

PENDO diving on the floor and getting a jump ball! He was so gritty...On the inbounds, Morrison sneaks to the rim and gets the hoop and the harm, but misses the free throw. 37-20, 3:15 left in the first....Morrison had both a free throw and then an open mid-range jumper to push the lead more than 17. As we know, 17 is as big as the lead would get...Jeremy Pargo sighting! 2:00 left in the first, Batista knocks one in off the window and the lead is back to 17, 39-22...Not that it’s foreshadowing or anything, but twice now, Batista has caught the ball far outside of the lane and been absolutely swarmed by the UCLA defense. He avoided turnovers both times, but looked quite uncomfortable...Farmar and Raivio trade threes as the clock ticks toward 1:00 left, it’s 42-25!!...UCLA hits two free throws, Raivio commits a turnover, and UCLA scores on the last possession of the first half. Suddenly, the 17-point blowout turned into a more manageable 13-point halftime deficit. Would’ve been more comfortable +17 but we knew eventually something would go UCLA’s way. Couldn’t realistically have asked for a better scenario.

2ND HALF

Mallon immediately picks up his third foul but Luc Richard MBah a Moute misses both free throws...Farmar strips the ball from Raivio and has an easy layup to cut the deficit to 42-31 with 19:00 left...Then Sean Mallon is stuffed, UCLA gets ANOTHER transition bucket, and all of a sudden are on an 8-0 run and their deficit is in single digits for the first time in what seems like ages...Now ANOTHER turnover by the Zags, but UCLA misses the layup. Few calls a timeout with 18:18 left. Zags lead 42-33 and really need to settle down. We’re fine, still comfortably in the lead...First Gon-ZAH-ga pronunciation from Gus Johnson, 17:20 remaining....Darren Collison on the free throw line. He’s from Rancho Cucamonga, a city I had no idea existed before Byron transferred to us...Full court pressure now from the Bruins, down 44-36 with 17:00 left...Under-16:00 timeout and a few missed shots for the Zags, a few defensive breakdowns, and UCLA’s within six, 46-40. YIKES what happened to our 17-point cushion!?...Afflalo picks up his fourth foul on a Morrison three. He hits the free throw for a 4-point play. Hopefully that stems the tide...

With 14:00 left, Jeremy Pargo had a clear lane to the bucket and had a layup swatted away effortlessly by MBah a Moute. An older, bigger, more aggressive Jeremy Pargo would’ve rocked the rim and left MBah a Moute in his dust...Hahaha Knight went up with the ball, hit the bottom of the backboard, and somehow got a trip to the line out of it. Worst call of the night, hopefully...UCLA started the first half 0/8, but here eight minutes into the second, they’ve started 6/11...Batista travels with 12:00 to play and a 55-43 lead. It’s Gonzaga’s NINTH turnover. No bueno...First Bill Walton sighting! Split screen with Bill Russell (USF is the official “host” of this game in Oakland)...Zags led 57-43 before Aflalo hits a three with 11:00 to play. Morrison travels on the other end. Turnover #10. +14 would be the biggest the lead would get in the second half...

Errol Knight commits two fouls in about 10 seconds. This game has been a total foul-fest. Classic, my butt....Scratch “foul a three-point shooter” off your bingo card, Raivio fouls Aflalo but he hits only one of three...ANOTHER traveling violation, Mallon’s third of the night. 14 turnovers by Gonzaga. 59-47, 8:50 remaining...Len Elmore tells us that getting the deficit to single digits is a huge psychological advantage. I wonder if that applies more to fans that to players. We fans have the scoreboard constantly in front of our eyes, on our TV screens. Are players constantly checking the scoreboard during the game? Does it really matter to them whether they trail by 9 or by 10? I doubt it....

Raivio with a layup! 66-54 with 6:30 left. We’re in great, great shape. UCLA would have to cut two points off the deficit per minute...Just as I say that, they hit a three. Darn...The PA announcer just announced the score of a different Tournament game. Remember when people couldn’t just check scores on their phones?...Adam had to check out for a possession to get his leg taped. Maybe he was bleeding? Couldn’t tell...JP misses a bunny with 4:15 left, leading 69-62. Would really have liked that one but Zags get a stop on the other end...

Ok, under-4 timeout. 69-62, Morrison going to the line. I’m beginning to feel queasy...Swish! Swish! +9!...On the other end, Knight picks up a ticky tack foul. It’s his fifth. Good defender there, but probably not a crucial loss...Dear god, Morrison just got trapped in the far corner (it looked EXACTLY like the play we’ll see in about three minutes). He got out of it, but the Zags turned it over crossing half court. When UCLA has pressured, it’s been effective. 71-64, 3:00 left...Farmar misses a deep three, Mallon grabs the board! 71-64, 2:30 left...Morrison misses a forced mid-range jumped, MBah A Moute grabs an offensive rebound on the other end and uh-oh, it’s 71-66 as we hit the 2:00 mark...Few calls timeout to settle everyone down. 15 left to shoot. I’m betting he draws up the “give the ball to Adam and get out of the way” play...Nope, instead Morrison hits a wide-open Raivio in the corner for a three. He misses, and Batista misses the putback. 1:34 left, 71-66...

Collison in transition gets a layup and a foul is called, but the basket is waved off. They say the foul occurred on the floor, and Collison misses the front end of the one-and-one. He was an 82% free throw shooter. That’s a HUGE, HUGE break. Zags get it back up 5, clock ticking toward the 1:00 mark...Morrison shoots a runner with 11 left on the shot clock. Could’ve taken a few more seconds off, but he’s Adam, so whatever. His shot is halfway down but pops out. UGH. The ball is knocked out of bounds and Morrison is convinced it went off a UCLA player. The official disagrees. If replay had been around back then, I wonder....

1:00 left. UCLA ball. 71-66 Gonzaga. We’ve got this...Farmar hits a sky-hook runner over the taller Pendergraft. Tough shot, tip your cap to him. 71-68, we’re still in control. But we’re sweating...UCLA decides to play defense straight up and not foul. They trap Pargo by the midcourt stripe, and Gonzaga calls timeout. 71-68, 40.8 seconds remaining, 26 seconds left on the shot clock...Inbounds goes to Adam...With 8 seconds left on the shot clock (and 22 left in the game) he takes a step-back corner jumper. Really, really would’ve liked for him to have taken another five or six seconds off the clock there. He could’ve gotten that same shot anywhere in the shot clock...It’s long and Batista commits a loose ball foul going for the rebound with 19.7 left. It’s a clear foul, although Len Elmore tells us he “didn’t see a foul.” So instead of UCLA having to advance the ball 93 feet with the clock ticking, they’re going to the line....Ryan Hollins is only a 60% free throw shooter...And of course, he knocks them both down...

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-25-2015, 11:35 AM
71-70, 19.7 remaining...UCLA pressuring full court. Pendo inbounding. Unless UCLA can get a steal, they’re gonna have to foul, and everyone on the floor (Morrison, Raivio, Batista, Pargo) shoot above 69%...Adam trapped in the corner, he throws a high-risk, cross-court pass to JP, who has Raivio wide open behind him...But he hesitates, looking to pass forward instead of backward...It’s stripped by Jordan Farmar when Batista brings the ball down...Farmar throws a lob pass that JUUUUUUUST gets over Raivio’s outstretched hand, to MBah A Moute. He jumps to catch it, comes down, and then lays it in. He very nearly choked and left it short. But it nicked the front of the rim and went down. The lead is gone with 10 seconds to play. It’s 72-71 UCLA...Raivio takes the inbounds pass and is pushing much, much too quickly. We had time, there was no need to rush. He gets it stripped at midcourt...He jumps on the UCLA player, who’s cradling the ball on the floor. THERE SHOULD HAVE BEEN A FOUL CALLED RIGHT THERE, with 4.9 left....Instead, Raivio rolls over and is able to grab the ball for a tie-up. The whistles blow with about 3.6 seconds left...WHY IS THE CLOCK STILL RUNNING!?!?! A full second just came off the clock after the whistle...Gus Johnson is screaming, Adam Morrison is crying. I hate this.

UCLA had the possession arrow, they inbound it, and the Zags foul with 1.9 left...Morrison has regained his composure, knowing it’s not over...Aflalo misses the first free throw and makes the second...Morrison is calling for the ball in the back court, but Pendo smartly heaves it into the front court. In these last-second situations, that’s really a higher-percentage play, especially because you could get fouled...Batista got a really, really good look. He made a really, really good catch, just put too much mustard on it. Un-freakin-believable.

Zag4Hire
03-25-2015, 12:02 PM
71-70, 19.7 remaining...UCLA pressuring full court. Pendo inbounding. Unless UCLA can get a steal, they’re gonna have to foul, and everyone on the floor (Morrison, Raivio, Batista, Pargo) shoot above 69%...Adam trapped in the corner, he throws a high-risk, cross-court pass to JP, who has Raivio wide open behind him...But he hesitates, looking to pass forward instead of backward...It’s stripped by Jordan Farmar when Batista brings the ball down...Farmar throws a lob pass that JUUUUUUUST gets over Raivio’s outstretched hand, to MBah A Moute. He jumps to catch it, comes down, and then lays it in. He very nearly choked and left it short. But it nicked the front of the rim and went down. The lead is gone with 10 seconds to play. It’s 72-71 UCLA...Raivio takes the inbounds pass and is pushing much, much too quickly. We had time, there was no need to rush. He gets it stripped at midcourt...He jumps on the UCLA player, who’s cradling the ball on the floor. THERE SHOULD HAVE BEEN A FOUL CALLED RIGHT THERE, with 4.9 left....Instead, Raivio rolls over and is able to grab the ball for a tie-up. The whistles blow with about 3.6 seconds left...WHY IS THE CLOCK STILL RUNNING!?!?! A full second just came off the clock after the whistle...Gus Johnson is screaming, Adam Morrison is crying. I hate this.

UCLA had the possession arrow, they inbound it, and the Zags foul with 1.9 left...Morrison has regained his composure, knowing it’s not over...Aflalo misses the first free throw and makes the second...Morrison is calling for the ball in the back court, but Pendo smartly heaves it into the front court. In these last-second situations, that’s really a higher-percentage play, especially because you could get fouled...Batista got a really, really good look. He made a really, really good catch, just put too much mustard on it. Un-freakin-believable.

-1 Seriously stop.

75Zag
03-25-2015, 12:04 PM
I will never forget the alumni bus ride from the Oakland Arena after the UCLA loss. The Lovely Mrs. '75 vomited on my shoes - not from liquor but from disgust and despair. I have never felt that bad in my life - before or after - and I have lost some close relatives (sorry Dad, may you rest in peace).
It will be interesting to see whether the shroud can be lifted on Friday. I hope so.

Go Bulldogs!

LongIslandZagFan
03-25-2015, 12:09 PM
-1 Seriously stop.

To be honest... nobody made you even open the thread.

You know what, I actually re-watched the end of it today. I re-watched the "foul" on JP... I still don't get what that call was... there was no foul.

Like Ammo said... 10 things had to go wrong... and they did. At some point, you just have to move on.

I have made peace with it... but at the same time, I want redemption. Exorcise demons.

I think that game had a deeper impact than we'd like to admit... it damaged the pysche of the whole program and fan base... this season is the last of the therapy we've all needed.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-25-2015, 12:20 PM
Yeah, I put a disclaimer on the post...I said to avert your eyes.

Obviously, this idea was unpopular, but I DID learn a few lessons that can be applied to the future/clear up common misconceptions. For example, Mark Few has gotten a bad rap on this board for sometimes "taking the air out of the ball" with the lead. Maybe he's done it other times, but that did NOT happen in this game. In fact, as I pointed out, it actually would've helped if Adam had waited even longer to shoot down the stretch.

Zag4Hire
03-25-2015, 12:56 PM
To be honest... nobody made you even open the thread.

You know what, I actually re-watched the end of it today. I re-watched the "foul" on JP... I still don't get what that call was... there was no foul.

Like Ammo said... 10 things had to go wrong... and they did. At some point, you just have to move on.

I have made peace with it... but at the same time, I want redemption. Exorcise demons.

I think that game had a deeper impact than we'd like to admit... it damaged the pysche of the whole program and fan base... this season is the last of the therapy we've all needed.

The one thing you are right about is yeah, I didn't have to open this thread.

The funny thing is the OP continues to make a bigger issue about it than it really is even after acknowledging this wasn't a good idea. I love you watching and rehashing the end about no foul. Foul, no foul, it doesn't matter. That game is over. Different team and a different time. Was that game an absolute train wreck for just about everybody here? Absolutely. You say you made peace with it but you want the win to exorcise demons with a win? Obviously not over it. There is a whole other thread talking about how many times will people bring this up and complaining it will be on endless loop on Pac-12 Network, ESPN, etc. and yet we have our own endless loop right here. The reason it hurt so bad because it still is the most magical season in recent Gonzaga history with its very own miracle worker in Ammo competing for NPOY and a great team. And with that..POOF.. season over and Ammo goes to NBA.

I'll probably give a friend a call, one who had a terrible day about 5 years ago, and say, "Hey bro, remember that absolutely terrible day that we had about 5 years ago? Gosh, remember how terrible it was? Do you remember how just it was just a bad day as a whole? We should talk about it right? Oh, you haven't thought about it at all. Well I am thinking about it so can we just keep talking about it?". Think about how annoying that would be.

LongIslandZagFan
03-25-2015, 01:04 PM
The one thing you are right about is yeah, I didn't have to open this thread.

The funny thing is the OP continues to make a bigger issue about it than it really is even after acknowledging this wasn't a good idea. I love you watching and rehashing the end about no foul. Foul, no foul, it doesn't matter. That game is over. Different team and a different time. Was that game an absolute train wreck for just about everybody here? Absolutely. You say you made peace with it but you want the win to exorcise demons with a win? Obviously not over it. There is a whole other thread talking about how many times will people bring this up and complaining it will be on endless loop on Pac-12 Network, ESPN, etc. and yet we have our own endless loop right here. The reason it hurt so bad because it still is the most magical season in recent Gonzaga history with its very own miracle worker in Ammo competing for NPOY and a great team. And with that..POOF.. season over and Ammo goes to NBA.

I'll probably give a friend a call, one who had a terrible day about 5 years ago, and say, "Hey bro, remember that absolutely terrible day that we had about 5 years ago? Gosh, remember how terrible it was? Do you remember how just it was just a bad day as a whole? We should talk about it right? Oh, you haven't thought about it at all. Well I am thinking about it so can we just keep talking about it?". Think about how annoying that would be.

Making peace and being over it are two different things. I have accepted it... now I just need to get some vengance... beating UCLA twice in one season (once in Pauley and once in the S16) would go along ways to putting it fully in the past.

gonzagafan62
03-25-2015, 01:24 PM
Making peace and being over it are two different things. I have accepted it... now I just need to get some vengance... beating UCLA twice in one season (once in Pauley and once in the S16) would go along ways to putting it fully in the past.

Exactly. So true, this would be the ultimate psyche reviver of the whole program. This would push us to beings of places we have never been before. I think Val pointed out in a different thread, we are knocking on the door of a life changing/program changing event. Beating UCLA is the door. Lets knock it down. I rewatched the game again last night. I think TGGOKP is spot on in his blog. Mark Few gets a bad rap for taking the air out of the ball. This game (which was a myth to begin with) did NOT happen.

Rehashing this seems to have worked for me so far. If we beat UCLA tomorrow, the whole thing will be wiped from my memory kind of like those weird photomagiggys in the movie "Men in Black" ..... There is no greater team I want to beat in the NCAA Tournament (save Arizona) than UCLA in the tournament. This is the ultimate. One step away from the Final Four.

We win Friday, its gone, we lose, it becomes even more torturous. I think it will be the win. I wouldn't have a doubt in my mind except A) This is March, and B) The score begins 0-0.

BTW, has anyone besides me watched the game from earlier this season? We should have killed them by like 30. We missed so many easy rebounds (especially in the first 10 minutes alone) .... I am not saying this should be a walk in the park, but this should be one we win. If not I will be absolutely devastated.

Anywhoo. Go Zags!

caduceus
03-25-2015, 01:34 PM
The Pac-12 network is showing the Arizona/GU 2003 overtime game right now. To add insult to injury, the 2006 UCLA game in question in this thread is being shown at 3:00. Both games are on repeat Friday/Saturday as well.

Have fun, if you like self-immolation. I'll be outside picking daisies, or something like that.

Friday is a new day.

zagsfanforlife
03-25-2015, 01:34 PM
GUYS!!! I watched it last night.... well actually the first 38 minutes of game play. I refuse to watch the ending. I know how it ends, i know how disgusted i felt and how sad i was. I remember being a 15 yr old crying with AMMO that night. I remember the next day at school all my UCLA friends teasing me. I cant and will never watch that ending.

Minus that ending though, that team was a powerhouse! Bautista is never given enough credit for how skilled he was. If he was here 4 years no doubt we would talk about him as one of the best big men in GU history. Heytfelt and Pargo barely saw PT that year. Raivio shooting 3's. Scrappy players like Knight and Pendo and an absolute college superstar in Morrison. What a team that was. This weekend this team has a chance to pay UCLA back for that loss. Loved watching that team, and love watching this team.

While they do not have the 1 super star to Morrrison's degree, I think without question this team is more balanced and talented. That is saying a lot. I would guess Morrison and Maybe JP would start for this years squad but that means you would be taking out Wesley and Shem. Just think about that. The two best players on that squad who by all means should have beat a team with 4 future pro's would be questionable starts on this years squad. Just goes to show you the talent on this years team and why it is not out of question to expect GREAT and UNPRECEDENTED accomplishments from this years team.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-25-2015, 01:55 PM
GUYS!!! I watched it last night.... well actually the first 38 minutes of game play. I refuse to watch the ending. I know how it ends, i know how disgusted i felt and how sad i was. I remember being a 15 yr old crying with AMMO that night. I remember the next day at school all my UCLA friends teasing me. I cant and will never watch that ending.

Minus that ending though, that team was a powerhouse! Bautista is never given enough credit for how skilled he was. If he was here 4 years no doubt we would talk about him as one of the best big men in GU history. Heytfelt and Pargo barely saw PT that year. Raivio shooting 3's. Scrappy players like Knight and Pendo and an absolute college superstar in Morrison. What a team that was. This weekend this team has a chance to pay UCLA back for that loss. Loved watching that team, and love watching this team.

While they do not have the 1 super star to Morrrison's degree, I think without question this team is more balanced and talented. That is saying a lot. I would guess Morrison and Maybe JP would start for this years squad but that means you would be taking out Wesley and Shem. Just think about that. The two best players on that squad who by all means should have beat a team with 4 future pro's would be questionable starts on this years squad. Just goes to show you the talent on this years team and why it is not out of question to expect GREAT and UNPRECEDENTED accomplishments from this years team.

Agreed. Well said. Though if Kyle stays, I think he could be a super star, almost on Adam's level. Of course, our offense might be too balanced for him to put up such gaudy point totals.

Btw, the idea to revisit and blog old games came from this: http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2013/08/25/watching-old-avs-games-nov-29-2000-avs-vs-phoenix-coyotes/14348/
It's something I'd love to do this summer with different Zags games from the past...Tourney games, WCC games, Maui, etc.

RenoZag
03-25-2015, 01:57 PM
The next innovative ballpark food is set to hit Miller Park this season, as Milwaukee Brewers fans will have a chance to take a bite of the Inside The Park Nachos.

They feature a stick of beef, loaded with refried beans, rolled in Doritos, and then deep fried and drizzled with sour cream and cheese.

"We've sold nachos before, but some people don't want to get messy," said Jamie Hodgson, general manager of Miller Park hospitality for concessionaire Delaware North. "I think this is going to be a big seller because you can eat this in one hand and have a beer in the other."

TheZagPhish
03-25-2015, 02:10 PM
"We've sold nachos before, but some people don't want to get messy,"

Well, at least during the eating phase. This thing promises plenty of messy later on.

adoptedzag
03-25-2015, 02:47 PM
The game was "hosted" by the University of San Francisco. That is why we lost.

zagporvida
03-25-2015, 04:14 PM
Wow thanks Zagquette, I have never read this poem! I love Sherman Alexie's work and it stemmed from meeting him while I was a student at GU and he was an up and coming writer who came to speak with a few of us few students of color who were on campus at the time.

Ekrub
03-25-2015, 04:32 PM
I think 06 UCLA game actually prepared me for the seahawks loss this year.

Zagger
03-25-2015, 06:51 PM
Hmmmm.... not sure I get the point of watching a loss in 2006. I'd rather watch a win from Sunday (and I did - was dang near as good as watching it on Sunday!). There are not any ties. Someone has to win - someone lose. No one likes losing all that much but - that's the way things go. The key is to stay excited about a program win or lose. If there's something wrong with the program - help change it - but don't quit supporting it. I'm not directing this towards anyone - just voicing my feelings of how I try to conduct my fan-ness. If we lose Friday. Too bad. It's been one fun season. And I'll root for UCLA to beat Duke if it comes down to that (I'd prolly root for Utah against UCLA if that should transpire). I know I can't up and say "basketball is just a game" since the team really puts a lot into the whole process (and that's an understatement). But, A lot of good basketball went on for the Zags in 2006. Is that all supposed to be forgotten due to a crappy loss to UCLA? Poo happens. Eventually we'll be engulfed by our star and everything here will be toast (beyond toast). That's pretty darn sad too (another understatement). But, what the heck. That IS the way things go. Too many people worry too much about all sorts of stuff - all while there's roses to smell, dogs to pet, cats to kick (sorry about that one), mountain air to breathe and huckleberries to pick. I like to think of losses as just the temporary end of a joy ride - not some derailment or crash. Heck, if/when the Zags do lose (I don't think they will) then we'll get right back on the ride again next season - and hope it goes just as far. If it doesn't .... life goes on and there are a host of great memories from this season to grin back upon. Go Zags!

DixieZag
03-25-2015, 06:54 PM
I think 06 UCLA game actually prepared me for the seahawks loss this year.

:clap:

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-25-2015, 07:44 PM
Eventually we'll be engulfed by our star and everything here will be toast (beyond toast).

Well said, my friend, well said.

(But might as well win on Friday anyway :pray:)

ZagsGoZags
03-25-2015, 07:45 PM
I will not be devastated if we lose. About the same as if we lost to Utah or Duke. It is another time and another place. We have made the Sweet 16 - broke the stigma, and a proud accomplishment. "Mathematically Speaking" the 7th ranked team should play in the elite 8, then lose. Think of all the WCC teams who come close to beating us and don't and they are in visible pain, esp. if they blew a lead they had earlier or were even with us. For me the Seahawk loss this year was not 1/20 th of the knife in the gut, and I live in Seattle. Seattle had not just been way ahead, they were lucky to be there near the endzone with Hearse's 'reception' which was a ball bouncing around. And with victory almost in hand, a pass was the play call, much more likely for turnover than a run. The whole last 5 games of the season the Seahawks took risks, most of them worked out, like magic was on their side.

The only thing that would devastate me this time is if the players have any of the OVER-confidence I think I see in this blog all week. UCLA has big good athletes, who are on a roll, and want to win as much as we do, and I like their coach, and I think we should be approaching this game like we did SMU and AZ earlier, as facing a powerful foe who we can only beat if we leave it all on the floor. No concept of what history is made if we win, or that we expect to win.

If we just live and die with this game, and feel relief if we win, (then the joy), like we approached the WCC championship and game with Iowa, it will be thrilling, and is the best mind set for coaches and players.
Well, ..... another thing could devastate me, if we were ahead by 17 points in the second half and lost the game in the last 5 seconds.

thegloriousgoateeofKP
03-25-2015, 07:49 PM
UCLA has big good athletes, who are on a roll, and want to win as much as we do, and I like their coach, and I think we should be approaching this game like we did SMU and AZ earlier, as facing a powerful foe who we can only beat if we leave it all on the floor.

This is a great point, too. It's almost like we don't realize we're playing UC-freakin-LA. The blue blood of all blue bloods! ELEVEN National Championships!

Gonna require 100% focus

Zagger
03-25-2015, 07:50 PM
(But might as well win on Friday anyway :pray:)
You bet! When we do I'll be attempting hand stands myself - and I have 10 years on Few!
Go Zags!