PDA

View Full Version : Legacy of Pangos and Bell

gonzagafan62
03-23-2015, 07:07 AM
Alright, let us know how you feel their legacy is now, and what it would be like if we can finish the job against UCLA.

Greatest players? Starting to creep up that alley? Maybe they already are?

TacomaZAG
03-23-2015, 07:10 AM
IMHO, their legacy is already formed, and they are playing with house money now.

Their will to win is palpable, even through the TV screen.

They are both WINNERS, and have brought nothing but honor to the team and the University.

Goo ZAGS

GonzaGAW
03-23-2015, 07:20 AM
regardless of how this season ends, they are the best back court combo the zags have ever put on the court.
longevity
consistency
shooting
defense
wins
character

no slight intended to all the other great guards, just my opinion this is the best combo ever

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
03-23-2015, 07:48 AM
Gary said it himself...he measures his legacy as it relates to the '99 team and the E8 run. I don't have the direct quote but the vets here can prolly attest to his comments. I have followed them so closely since their Frosh years. To me Santangelo, Bell and Pangos are the triumvirate right now in Gonzaga lore. :)

gonzagafan62
03-23-2015, 07:50 AM
Gary said it himself...he measures his legacy as it relates to the '99 team and the E8 run. I don't have the direct quote but the vets here can prolly attest to his comments. I have followed them so closely since their Frosh years. To me Santagelo, Bell and Pangos are the triumvirate right now in Gonzaga lore. :)

He did say this. Its on a video somewhere. And I agree Val. Those three are great choices and can't go wrong. There are an obvious few that come close. I love this team!!!

titopoet
03-23-2015, 08:03 AM
Alright, let us know how you feel their legacy is now, and what it would be like if we can finish the job against UCLA.

Already there. Bell has to be the best perimeter D guy ever in a zag uniform. Pangos is well Pangos, the mos complete PG in America and rightly in the pantheon of Great GU PG. These two aren't done yet, so stay tune as the legend grows/

Reborn
03-23-2015, 08:04 AM
Well these two guys have been around for so long, they certainly feel like brothers, or nephews. They feel like family. Their legacy is already great, but I believe for them to reach that place where they want to be, they need to make it to the Final 4. Making it to the Elite 8 definitely puts them in rarified air, but if they want to be the best they need to go where no other Zag team has been. If anyone can do this, this team can, and these two guys are certainly capable of leading the way. This tournament is about being able to exert your will on the other teams. So far it's been obviously that these kids have high goals, and special talent. But it gets tougher each step of the way. I will just continue to believe. And enjoy the ride.

rennis
03-23-2015, 08:05 AM
Gary said it himself...he measures his legacy as it relates to the '99 team and the E8 run. I don't have the direct quote but the vets here can prolly attest to his comments. I have followed them so closely since their Frosh years. To me Santangelo, Bell and Pangos are the triumvirate right now in Gonzaga lore. :)

I would add Frahm and make it the Quad Shot.

This topic is going to be discussed a LOT over this week, next week, and probably forever. This is our best team since 1999, and they have a shot to be even better. To say I'm excited is a monumental understatement. So happy for these guys and what they've achieved all along, and to see their faith and hard work rewarded in the March of their senior season is pretty magical.

Zag4Hire
03-23-2015, 08:09 AM
The backcourt legacy for Gonzaga is a great debate because it so well-stocked with different personalities, great players, etc. But as a tandem, these guys have to be in the Top 3. I don't say that lightly and think that is one of the highest compliments that can be given. It is unreal the number of games these guys have started together and they are still adding more. If there is a 2035 Gonzaga Basketball Reunion, PANG! keeps his hair the same and GBJ adds a mustache, they could easily look like another great buddy tandem in Riggs and Murtaugh.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d9/Lethal_weapon1.jpg

cjm720
03-23-2015, 09:42 AM
Love our seniors!!! Loved Gary being back in Seattle and playing well! Pangos was sensational too. 4 years of the same duo provides so much stability and experience.

That said, my top guard list goes like this: Dickau (imagine 4 years!), Santangelo, Stepp, and Pangos

TravelinZag
03-23-2015, 10:02 AM
Well these two guys have been around for so long, they certainly feel like brothers, or nephews. They feel like family. Their legacy is already great, but I believe for them to reach that place where they want to be, they need to make it to the Final 4. Making it to the Elite 8 definitely puts them in rarified air, but if they want to be the best they need to go where no other Zag team has been. If anyone can do this, this team can, and these two guys are certainly capable of leading the way. This tournament is about being able to exert your will on the other teams. So far it's been obviously that these kids have high goals, and special talent. But it gets tougher each step of the way. I will just continue to believe. And enjoy the ride.

Reborn, completely agree with your assessment, and your speculation that Kevin and Gary have that as a minimum goal: to be the unquestioned best in Zag history, and raise the bar for the future. To be honest, I think the next two steps could be tougher than the national semi-final. With 'Nova, UVa and UNI gone, MSU scares me more than any other semi opponent. Izzo! Nothing wrong with Pitino, but his team this year has already exceeded expectations. And neither NCState nor Oklahoma scare me. Be fun to see Spangler, though. Ryan, what is (not bad), and what could have been (better)! Already looking too far forward, but within the scope of your post.

Zagger
03-23-2015, 10:26 AM
...., and raise the bar for the future.
You can say that again - I'll do it for ya :)
Pangos & Bell Jr. (PB&J ?) It was fun listening to the Vitale video when he talked about the two. I believe each time he mentioned them it was "Pangos & Bell" - rarely was one name without the other. Quite a pair that will be looked up to by all future guards at GU. Their play when both were injured was very inspiring. They both focus so well on what needs to get done Now. I can only imagine what Wesley might be like as a Zag if he'd been at GU the past 3 years. How well we do Friday depends greatly on their combined experience (Wesley's too - being that he knows UCLA well) - and in big part just how well both Pangos and Bell know one another. What a great season this is - and it ain't over yet!

ZAG 4 LIFE
03-23-2015, 10:56 AM
These two incredible young men are 121-19 in their four years in a Zags uniform...

121 - 19

I hope everyone on this board understands how absolutely astonishing 121 wins in 4 years actually is.
Legendary young men... legendary Zags... and MOST IMPORTANT... as classy a pair of players as we
have ever had represent Gonzaga. Consider yourself lucky to have been along for the ride.

BTB
03-23-2015, 12:29 PM
Pangos still needs to learn to shoot away from the Kennel :roll: :jk:

These two incredible young men are 121-19 in there four years in a Zags uniform...

121 - 19

I hope everyone on this board understands how absolutely astonishing 121 wins in 4 years actually is.
Legendary young men... legendary Zags... and MOST IMPORTANT... as classy a pair of players as we
have ever had represent Gonzaga. Consider yourself lucky to have been along for the ride.

Its especially incredible considering two seasons ago, people were talking about us possibly winning 30 games and the majority opinion was that gonzaga will never win 30 games in a season. Now we've done it twice in three seasons.

Malastein
03-23-2015, 02:10 PM
One more win and the discussion of them being in the highest tier begins. They are around the Bouldin range right now. They'll earn some of the praise above if they make the final four.

RenoZag
03-23-2015, 02:34 PM

Ask me when the season's over. . . :)

krozman
03-23-2015, 02:49 PM
Honestly their legacy as an upper tier backcourt is already solid, but the conversation of "best" doesn't come into play without one more win.....and it will be no argument if we make a final 4. our guards are going to have to distribute like we did in our last game to beat Duke/Utah. Beating UCLA, then Duke, then probably Michigan State, then Kentucky.......nobody is going to say we didn't earn what we ended up at at least.

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-23-2015, 06:18 PM
Pangos and Bell have as many March Madness wins as Santangelo and Frahm.

They have two more thirty-win seasons than Santangelo and Frahm.

They are a special, special pair.

jazzdelmar
03-23-2015, 06:24 PM
DD and BS

03-23-2015, 07:00 PM
DD and BS

hmmmm interesting :) Great stats for DD. Hitting 46% from downtown and 86% from the line while a Zag. Also a Sweet16 appearance. Shout out to DD! I was not as knowledgeable on BS and DD as I should be. I think the final chapters are yet to be written on Bell and Pangos. Lets see how it plays out...you are a tough cookie! lol

In all seriousness though. ALL Zags are 1 IN ALL. The accomplishments of 1 are the accomplishments of ALL! :)

03-23-2015, 07:24 PM
"For sure, it's a goal," he says. "I'd love to win a national championship. That's always the goal. But you have to stick with the process and you can't get carried away with what round and what seed or any of that. It's one game at a time, and you just have to play basketball. You can't overlook anyone. You can't look past things. You can't just hope it happens. You've got to make it happen."- Kevin Pangos

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2015/03/21/ncaa-tournament-gonzaga-bulldogs-kevin-pangos-gary-bell-jr/25152791/

sittingon50
03-23-2015, 10:45 PM
DD and BS

Blake's NCAA Tourney stats are not very good.

ZagsGoZags
03-24-2015, 02:03 AM
for tandems I put them right under Dan Dickau and Stepp (esp. when he was healthy)
for singles
Dickau, Pangos, Santangelo, Stepp, Matt B., Bell, Ravio, Frahm

kitzbuel
03-24-2015, 03:37 AM
for tandems I put them right under Dan Dickau and Stepp (esp. when he was healthy)
for singles
Dickau, Pangos, Santangelo, Stepp, Matt B., Bell, Ravio, Frahm
Pargo?

zagfan24
03-24-2015, 04:53 AM
The legacy of Pangos and Bell is still being built, and I hope it continues on for two more weekends.

Regardless, my perception is that there has never been a pair of players to have earned this level of respect and trust from Mark Few. Maybe it was there with Stepp or a few others; but to have a backcourt tandem that has been starting this long and playing together for this many games is something unique...and in my humble opinion it has manifest in Few being more relaxed even in the most tense of moments, doing less micromanaging in games, and ultimately letting the team just "play basketball" more than ever before. Kevin and Gary have proven to be great players, leaders, and ambassadors of Gonzaga, and they deserve every accolade and accomplishment that comes their way.

TacomaZAG
03-24-2015, 06:29 AM
Regardless, my perception is that there has never been a pair of players to have earned this level of respect and trust from Mark Few. Maybe it was there with Stepp or a few others; but to have a backcourt tandem that has been starting this long and playing together for this many games is something unique...and in my humble opinion it has manifest in Few being more relaxed even in the most tense of moments, doing less micromanaging in games, and ultimately letting the team just "play basketball" more than ever before. Kevin and Gary have proven to be great players, leaders, and ambassadors of Gonzaga, and they deserve every accolade and accomplishment that comes their way.

+1000..................I was astonished at the freedom and the flow on both days (especially Sunday) that Few allowed and even encouraged. Based on his history in games like these, this was really new and exciting.

Man, those two are going to be sorely missed when they are gone..............BUT THEY"RE NOT GONE YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And, THEY'RE NOT DONE YET!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go ZAGS

03-24-2015, 07:09 AM
+1000..................I was astonished at the freedom and the flow on both days (especially Sunday) that Few allowed and even encouraged. Based on his history in games like these, this was really new and exciting.

Man, those two are going to be sorely missed when they are gone..............BUT THEY"RE NOT GONE YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And, THEY'RE NOT DONE YET!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go ZAGS

When you win in the NCAA Tournament perceptions change nationally in an instant. You either survive and advance or you don't. As cruel and unfair at times as it may seem the structure of college basketball lends itself to this interpretation of success. Teams are not going to make runs every year...except a very few and even those teams find a way to lose the BIG ONE (they are validated though on deep runs). Our regular season put us in Seattle and THE ZAGS and its fans came through in the clutch playing in the greatest event the world has to offer March Madness.

As Perks tweeted haterz are gonna hate (not exactly but...). You know when success has hit you when/if the haterade starts flowing more and more. As teams get knocked off those that survive will only ascend in the record books and claim a piece of history. Maybe we had to wait a bit longer because we are not the prototypical Final4/Nat Champ DNA based program. We/Zags are now dangerously knocking on the door to a life altering tournament experience. I want the fans here who love the Zags to cry with happiness.

Thats all I want...

23zagmd
03-24-2015, 07:25 AM
Ongoing........and cemented in my opinion!

gonzagafan62
03-24-2015, 07:28 AM
When you win in the NCAA Tournament perceptions change nationally in an instant. You either survive and advance or you don't. As cruel and unfair at times as it may seem the structure of college basketball lends itself to this interpretation of success. Teams are not going to make runs every year...except a very few and even those teams find a way to lose the BIG ONE (they are validated though on deep runs). Our regular season put us in Seattle and THE ZAGS and its fans came through in the clutch playing in the greatest event the world has to offer March Madness.

As Perks tweeted haterz are gonna hate (not exactly but...). You know when success has hit you when/if the haterade starts flowing more and more. As teams get knocked off those that survive will only ascend in the record books and claim a piece of history. Maybe we had to wait a bit longer because we are not the prototypical Final4/Nat Champ DNA based program. We/Zags are now dangerously knocking on the door to a life altering tournament experience. I want the fans here who love the Zags to cry with happiness.
Thats all I want...

If we somehow survive this weekend with UCLA/Duke/Utah, there is no doubt in my mind we are playing for the National Title.