PDA

View Full Version : Article by GU Prof on Josh-Theo

tobizag
02-16-2007, 08:49 AM
http://www.inlander.com/commentary/304022951131229.php

Found this yesterday and found it to be rather interesting.

bayzag09
02-16-2007, 09:03 AM
Liked the piece. He is very right about the Jokesman Review also.

D Hark 2003
02-16-2007, 09:18 AM
He makes a good point about how the news and media has already condemned these guys and used their incident as a vehicle for more ratings and selling more news papers. Reefer being a gateway drug is rediculous i would say that nicotine and alcohol are culprits if there is such a thing as gateway drugs.

USF
02-16-2007, 09:26 AM
It is absurd to mention Heytvelt in the same sentence as Bill Russell. Russell was the most dominant player of his era, particularly on the defensive end. He averaged over 22 rebounds in his career at USF. They didn't keep track of bolcked shots back then, but those who saw him say he blocked 10-12 shots a night. More importantly, he is considered the best team basketball player in history. 2 National Championships, Olympic Gold Medal, 9 NBA championships in 11 years (one as player coach).

Heytvelt is undoubtedly a talent, but I think many on here might question his "team player" credentials. And I thought that Theo Davis was older thatn JH. I think the article says he is 19.

It seemed a little dismissive to portray this whole thing as media frenzy. I don't think you can blame the local paper for milking the story. Clearly, there is a market for Gonzaga basketball news. What happened to the team (and possibly your program) is nothing to minimize. Blaming the media is so yesterday.

I am curious to see what Gonzaga Univeristy does to the players in the event of a conviction. They could see it as an isolated incident and suspend for a year, or they may consider this to be a symptom of a changing culture within the program. If it's the latter, I think they will both be asked to leave.

zagster318
02-16-2007, 09:32 AM
An interesting take.

meadgrad02
02-16-2007, 09:33 AM
I think both ages are wrong. Pretty sure josh is 20 and theo is 21. So i guess you can't reallly believe anything either of these papers have to say. Get your facts straight before publishing articles.

CDC84
02-16-2007, 09:50 AM
It is absurd to mention Heytvelt in the same sentence as Bill Russell.

Moreover, they are completely different players in their style of play. Not a good comparison from any angle.

USF
02-16-2007, 09:51 AM
If he is going to use their ages in his argument, i.e., they are young kids, etc., he should get the ages right. He also shouldn't mention that he was "camped out at the ticket office". Readers may think he is a basketball fan first and a concerned citizen second. And, by writing the article, isn't he joining in the "reefer madness" himself?

If GU had a reputation like Fresno or UNLV or Kansas State, this wouldn't be a story.

alaskazagnut
02-16-2007, 09:59 AM
That would be a slap on the wrist. No one (except me and the author) will recommend only a 2 game suspension. Unless of course that is school policy or precedent for incidents like this.

tobizag
02-16-2007, 10:34 AM
glad this started discussion...I was hoping someone would find the bill russell thing hilarious as well...the only connection is they are both tall.

bayzag09
02-16-2007, 10:49 AM
Bayzag09 if you are a current student you better hope GU has no way of figuring out who you are, i speak from my experience as a member of the class of 2003. I was there when the school and basketball program went from unheard of to a top 25 program. The administration will find you and Jeff Hart will get you in trouble so be careful about what you say.

huh? Get me in trouble how? wtf are you talking about? And if you are refering to the "shrooms" its a joke. The administration can come find me all they want...:confused:

D Hark 2003
02-16-2007, 11:36 AM
Bayzag09
I like how you quoted me and said WTF and that it was a joke, and then edited your post that said lets go do some shrooms, were you starting to get a little scared, because i was joking about Jeff Hart finding you...:eek: This is what your face looks like when you are on shrooms

mtzaga
02-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Comparing Josh Heytfelt with Bill Russell? I haven't heard anything that funny in a long time. What does this guy teach?

bayzag09
02-16-2007, 11:56 AM
Bayzag09
I like how you quoted me and said WTF and that it was a joke, and then edited your post that said lets go do some shrooms, were you starting to get a little scared, because i was joking about Jeff Hart finding you...:eek: This is what your face looks like when you are on shrooms

I didn't take it out, the Mods did. Since I don't mess with any sort weed or shrooms the joke is funny to me, and i really don't care what you think.

tobizag
02-16-2007, 11:58 AM
he is a professor of political science I believe...never had him.

HillBillyZag
02-16-2007, 12:04 PM
An excellent, well thought out, and worded article. Where we differ is on the consequences of their action. Any reinstatement of the 2006/07 season would be a travesty,merely a slap on the wrist. I am sure that Fr. Spitzer, Mr. Roth,and Coach Few will come up with an action that while not draconian, will let these young men learn that for every action we take there is a CONSEQUENCE. I also hope that a public apology to the University, its students and their team-mates will be received. I hope the wheels of Justice turn swiftly, but fairly, and these young men will be able to look back on this incident and know that it changed their lives for the better.

TheZagPhish
02-16-2007, 12:21 PM
I also hope that a public apology to the University, its students and their team-mates will be received.

Honestly, this is what I most yearning to hear. An apology will go far to start the healing.

UberZagFan
02-16-2007, 01:01 PM
According to their profiles on gozags.com, Josh's DOB is 06/26/1986, which makes him 20 years old. And Theo's DOB is 01-01-86, which makes him 21. Amazingly enough, that took about all of one minute to determine. But then again, I suppose the gozags.com site could have it wrong as well.

sullyzag66
02-16-2007, 01:25 PM
Who is Jeff Hart and why should we fear him?

tobizag
02-16-2007, 01:32 PM
Director of Campus Security

sullyzag66
02-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Aha! Back in the day Campus Security was one guy, "Pete, the Cop", who roamed the campus on week-ends.

D Hark 2003
02-16-2007, 03:29 PM
Campus police were cool when i was there 99-03, it was Jeff Hart he was like McCarthy the anti communist guy. He was trying to put the clamps on all the fun students had already become used to having around campus because the school was gaining more and more popularity and receiving more and more publicity.

Thanks for erasing my previous posts moderator.

former1dog
02-16-2007, 03:43 PM
Thanks for erasing my previous posts moderator.

No problem. Just remember we're all on the same side.

Peace and Go Bulldogs!

sanfranzagsguy20
02-16-2007, 04:30 PM
you couldnt be more right former1dog...we ARE all on the same side and I think somehow that gets forgotton more than it should be on a GONZAGA message board..i guess it's the times however..when its going bad conflicts between fans happen out of frustration..

i know being a 49er fan along with my dad and having him be the epitome of a pessimist we have our fair share of disagreements....and also mtzaga i dont know about the comparsion of HEYTFELT to bill russell but the comparison between HEYTVELT and bill russell is not accurate...ok...enough with the f's in heytvelt for crying out loud

SteeleMan
02-16-2007, 08:25 PM
nicely done USF.