PDA

View Full Version : The Surprise on the Team

BobZag
09-22-2007, 05:53 PM
We all know Austin Daye and Ira! Brown are expected to make immediate impacts, and we already know there will be notable improvements with Micah, Josh and Matt...

But the guy who is receiving rave reviews is: Steven Gray.

Word is, he is showing incredibly mature poise and he is surpassing what was at first expected of him. I know the few times I've watched pick-up games, Steven has always shown well. He does a little of everything, and does them well. Steven will earn serious PT if he keeps it up.

Can't wait for Emporia State. :)

Just fyi.

jpwils
09-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Glad to hear he is showing to be solid.

If Brown is as solid, it will make for an interesting October and for some solid
practice matchups where regulars will need to step up more quickly.

When one of our guards is not getting it done, or injured( heaven forbid),
or in foul trouble, this could be our secret strength!

Another sign that our coaching staff continues to recruit the right players.

MickMick
09-22-2007, 07:18 PM
I recall reading some of the UW boards. They called Gray a "middlin PAC-10 level player" who is "on a lower tier than Abdul Gaddy". Ever since, I have been privately hoping that Gray becomes a monster. What irritates me more than those posts is the fact that UW canceled Gray's chance to directly make them eat their words.

zagster318
09-22-2007, 08:44 PM
I recall reading some of the UW boards. They called Gray a "middlin PAC-10 level player" who is "on a lower tier than Abdul Gaddy". Ever since, I have been privately hoping that Gray becomes a monster. What irritates me more than those posts is the fact that UW canceled Gray's chance to directly make them eat their words.

Why get beat by "lower tier" players when you can play national powers like the New Jersey Institute of Technology?;)

MDABE80
09-22-2007, 08:51 PM
Yes Mick.....I was telling those boys how good Gray is and in return, I was called a racist! lol. Nonetheless, I think this newcomer will knock some eyes out within the next two years. Good shooter, great athlete, nice kid and willing to learn. He's a kid who makes a great Zag. He'll get some time on the floor.... I'm certain of it. He's just a youngster and I bet he'll develop beyond what he is now ( IE POY for the ST)

Bocco
09-23-2007, 10:06 AM
Chickens + Gray = the fox + grapes ..... not that anyone from the UDub would know who Aesop was.

CDC84
09-23-2007, 11:45 AM

If Mark Few offers a schoolie to a little known prospect (at that time) after just a few days of watching him play at a camp, even the biggest UW homers of all should have enough basketball IQ to realize that that prospect isn't a "middlin PAC-10 level player." Gonzaga just doesn't offer schoolies to players that quickly unless they are can't miss prospects. If there was any doubt about Gray being able to compete and excel at the highest level, this staff would've spent a lot more time evaluating him. The staff has won too many games and has hit the bull's eye too many times in the recruiting game to have anyone doubt their abilities to evaluate talent....especially within the state of Washington.

Trust me, if Gonzaga had not gotten Steven at just the right time before he joined the Metro League, Romarville would've been offering him faster than a speeding bullet. And if Gray had verbaled there, that poster who said Gray is a "middlin PAC-10 level player" would be telling you he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

GuamZag
09-23-2007, 12:41 PM
So how much play time could he realistically get?

mobetta
09-23-2007, 02:14 PM
I am so glad to hear this report on Steven Gray. I suggested as much a few weeks ago on this board. I live on Bainbridge Island and I watched Steven play his last 20 or so games of his highschool career. Simply put, he is the best 18 year old basketball player I have ever seen. In one game in the state 3A playoffs, I watched him get 11 rebounds and 5 assists in the first half, when his coach was holding him back. He was easily a foot above all of the other rebounders, whenever he wanted the ball, he has such hops. In the second half, he was asked to score some points and just took over the game, dropping 20 with out breaking a sweat. He often looked like a man playing with boys last year.

I know Div I is different from highschool and agree with the poster who mentioned that Washington State's prospect were of a slightly lower caliber than some previous years, but I think that Steven would have stood out amongst other years as well. The Zags have a special player. With all of the rest of the talent, this is going to be a great year(s).

BobZag
09-23-2007, 02:36 PM

Remember, these are the same fans that 1) said Gray was a "project," 2) ran off an 8 page thread on how Romar would never recruit a lousy player like Gray, 3) and blamed many of their woes last season on Romar playing too many white guys.

Credibility over there is nil.

dim4sum
09-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Bouldin as a small forward joining Daye and Heytvelt in the middle,
rounded out by Gray as shooting guard and Pargo at the point.
Pendo as sixth man, spelling practically anyone except Heytvelt in the post.

roxdoc
09-23-2007, 03:44 PM
I'll sound like a broken record - One more time: JH is not a post man by performance or persuasion. Maybe there could be a scheme where there was no post, just several forwards. Otherwise you have to insert Kuso, Davis, Foster or Sacre, and take out...? And what about Downs? And what about......? The coaches are going to earn their money this year maximizing our strengths - and I have every confidence they will!!:D

spudzag
09-23-2007, 04:27 PM
I'll sound like a broken record - One more time: JH is not a post man by performance or persuasion. Maybe there could be a scheme where there was no post, just several forwards. Otherwise you have to insert Kuso, Davis, Foster or Sacre, and take out...? And what about Downs? And what about......? The coaches are going to earn their money this year maximizing our strengths - and I have every confidence they will!!:D

You're right about JH, he belongs at the PF spot (at least in college). I believe Downs will start at wing. Bouldin and Pargo will fill out the guard spots. The battle, or question, is who plays post. I'd say the spot belongs to Kuso until someone takes it from him. I don't think the freshmen start early on anyway.

I share your confidence in the coaches.

webspinnre
09-23-2007, 06:09 PM
You're right about JH, he belongs at the PF spot (at least in college). I believe Downs will start at wing. Bouldin and Pargo will fill out the guard spots. The battle, or question, is who plays post. I'd say the spot belongs to Kuso until someone takes it from him. I don't think the freshmen start early on anyway.

Bingo. It's gonna be Pargo, Bouldin, Downs, Josh and Kuso to start the year. My money is on Theo taking Kuso's spot by December, with Sacre and Will also getting a shot at it. I wouldn't be surprised by the end of the year to see Kuso getting less than 10 minutes a game. The real question is how do we find playing time for everyone? There will be times when Daye will get inserted in the 3/4 with Josh sliding to the 5, and of course Pendo will get significant minutes at the 4 as well. Gray will fill in at the 2 whenever Pargo or Bouldin are out. The trick is how do we fit Ira! and LG into the mix?

Indeed, a wealth of talent and not enough playing time to go around. Truly a challenge for the coaching staff.

kylasdad
09-23-2007, 07:06 PM
I can't believe Bob hasn't said it yet..."We're DOOMED."

Definitely too many good players, we are screwed as it is impossible not to have serious chemistry issues!!! Doomed...

TrekkerZag
09-23-2007, 07:50 PM
"It's gonna be Pargo, Bouldin, Downs, Josh and Kuso"

I think that in the beg. should be Pargo, Bouldin, Downs, Pendo and Josh.

There is somewhat of a pattern that seniors would start? Don't know if Kuso is considered as one, "RS SR/1V" vs Pendo "SR/3V".

TexasZagFan
09-24-2007, 07:55 AM
Yes Mick.....I was telling those boys how good Gray is and in return, I was called a racist! lol. Nonetheless, I think this newcomer will knock some eyes out within the next two years. Good shooter, great athlete, nice kid and willing to learn. He's a kid who makes a great Zag. He'll get some time on the floor.... I'm certain of it. He's just a youngster and I bet he'll develop beyond what he is now ( IE POY for the ST)

I can hardly wait for the season to start, when the trolls to emerge from the netherlands.

The Foo Air Force, commanded by el Voce, is ready and willing to drop "neg-rep" bombs on all trespassers.

Trolls will be easily identifiable, thanks to the multitude of little red boxes they'll have.

Except for the sweet smell of a Zag victory, nothing will be sweeter than the smell of toasted trolls.

http://www.emanuellevy.com/images/photos/zjks62fu3fn.jpg

TROLLS DON'T SURF!!!

Rubbadub
09-24-2007, 09:14 AM
The most troublesome trolls are the ones not identified yet, and hiding among the single greenies.

Up to 56 rep btw.

UberZagFan
09-24-2007, 11:53 AM
If Uber wasn't so lazy he would pull up the thread where he predicted months ago that Gray will be the most important piece, over the long term, of this year's incoming class, a la Roy.

UberZagFan
09-24-2007, 11:54 AM
Trolls will be easily identifiable, thanks to the multitude of little red boxes they'll have.

Not all posters with multiple red boxes are trolls. :D

Robzagnut
09-24-2007, 12:30 PM
>If Uber wasn't so lazy he would pull up the thread where he predicted months ago that Gray will be the most important piece, over the long term, of this year's incoming class, a la Roy.

All I want for Xmas is for you to be posting the same thing next year...

about Rotnei Clark!

TexasZagFan
09-25-2007, 06:13 AM
Not all posters with multiple red boxes are trolls. :D

Present company excepted, of course. Sorry, Uber! :D

Although nobody's in your universe when it comes to negative rep, you'll have some company when the Foo Air Force drops up to a dozen 50 point (or more) neg-rep bombs on unsuspecting trolls.

By the time they're up to 5-6 red boxes, they'll be scampering back to their home boards, yelping with their tails between their legs.

Rubbadub
09-25-2007, 06:27 AM
Present company excepted, of course. Sorry, Uber! :D

Although nobody's in your universe when it comes to negative rep, you'll have some company when the Foo Air Force drops up to a dozen 50 point (or more) neg-rep bombs on unsuspecting trolls.

By the time they're up to 5-6 red boxes, they'll be scampering back to their home boards, yelping with their tails between their legs.

Given my amazing prediction skills, I'm guessing I'll be giving out 200 rep by the time the season starts.