PDA

View Full Version : How was the crowd noise at Key Arena?

PNW Zagfan
03-20-2015, 09:12 PM
Don't know if it is the way the Key Arena broadcast is miked, or if it is my tv, but while there were moments when the crowd noise came through on the broadcast, the crowd noise just seemed muted. Thinking that the broadcast simply didn't do our fans justice.

So curious from fans in attendance, how were the fans, from Gonzaga and from NDSU? Was it loud? Did we have a "home town" advantage? Any sense as to how fans will match up from Iowa vs Gonzaga?

Most of this comes from a need to live vicariously thru those that were there, as I just couldn't get over for the game.

Any comments from those in attendance would be appreciated.

GO ZAGS!

tjbison
03-20-2015, 09:23 PM
I'm guessing we had 5 to 30K there.

:)

Lurknomore
03-20-2015, 09:56 PM
The Kennel Club was in the top of the arena and you could hear them trying to get the crowd going. At times the crowd was very loud. Around us there were people that started to yell for North Dakota. It really irritated me as these were people from Washington. I could hear the North Dakota fans, they traveled well.

CDC84
03-20-2015, 10:00 PM
Hopefully it will be a better crowd advantage for the Iowa game. It's always the case that disinterested fans at these games back teams like North Dakota State.

surfmonkey89
03-20-2015, 10:05 PM
We couldn't even find the Kennel Club until late in the game. It's not their fault - those are the tickets they received.

In general it was pro-GU, but turned when NDSU made runs. Basically, a bunch of locals who were rooting for the local team but also wanted an upset.

Zagsker
03-20-2015, 10:12 PM
Old people

seacatfan
03-20-2015, 10:34 PM
Crowd was pathetic. It was louder during the UC Irvine-Louisville game when they smelled an upset. Made some noise right at the start of the GU game. Dead the entire first half. Came to life briefly in the 2nd half when NDSU cut the lead to 6 and then the Zags pushed it back to double digits. Then went back to sleep. I was severely disappointed by the crowd. Must not have been very many GU fans in the house?

timgozags
03-20-2015, 11:20 PM
Well i cheered very loud for GU and same as people surround me... but you gotta understand there were Iowa, NDSU, and Davison's fan clubs there as well.. Iowa's fans obviously don't want the Zags advance.

DixieZag
03-20-2015, 11:31 PM
Crowd was pathetic. It was louder during the UC Irvine-Louisville game when they smelled an upset. Made some noise right at the start of the GU game. Dead the entire first half. Came to life briefly in the 2nd half when NDSU cut the lead to 6 and then the Zags pushed it back to double digits. Then went back to sleep. I was severely disappointed by the crowd. Must not have been very many GU fans in the house?

Well, according to many members on the Iowa board, we're so bad that we won't be favored on Sunday b/c A) We can't guard them, B) Something, C) They beat NDSU by 31, D) They are tougher or something. So, when the Zags go up against a team that heavy a favorite, the crowd will pull for scrappy Gonzaga, kinda like they did when Gonzaga beat Stanford that day 17 years ago....a game that I went to. Very loud.

PNW Zagfan
03-20-2015, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the feedback, hopefully more noise for the Iowa game.

LAZAGFAN11
03-20-2015, 11:45 PM
Zag fans need to turn it up a notch in the Key Arena on Sunday. The team needs you. CHEER LOUD!

ZagaZags
03-20-2015, 11:57 PM
The Kennel Club was in the top of the arena and you could hear them trying to get the crowd going. At times the crowd was very loud. Around us there were people that started to yell for North Dakota. It really irritated me as these were people from Washington. I could hear the North Dakota fans, they traveled well.

Was it Lorenzo Romar & Cameron Dollar?

SwainZag
03-21-2015, 02:12 AM

Really? It was 90% GU fans there and it showed. Sure, it wasnt like 18k students there but it was very, very Gonzaga pro from the tip.

Zagceo
03-21-2015, 02:31 AM
Old people

Like 32 & such

Zagger
03-21-2015, 04:27 AM
This season, more than most recent ones it seems, the Zag crowd tends to get into their game with or after the team does. GU didn't play all that excitingly last night. The main exception to this trend was the WCC Championship game in Vegas. The Zag crowd there was awesome - so were the Zags BTW. I felt the crowd in Vegas definitely contributed to the performance put on by the team. My feelings are that Sunday night against Iowa we'll hear a much louder Key Arena. Bet we beat Iowa by more than 10.

rennis
03-21-2015, 08:05 AM
I was up in the cheap seats about 3 sections over from the kennel club. They got hosed with their seats. The NDSU fans were 2x as loud because they were packed into one section right on top of the floor.

there are a LOT of fans in that arena that want to see GU lose. I could hear it, see it, and feel it last night. Remember that UW is the sponsor school and they had a bunch of tickets that were sold to their fans. I was sitting amongst a bunch of them last night and they were all cheering against Gonzaga. The crowd will turn on GU again on Sunday, as it did with Nevada in 2004, if they get down big at any point in the game to Iowa, which is BS because Iowa shouldn't be treated as an underdog in this setting.

There's a chance the crowd will rally around GU, but I have a feeling it's going to be 50/50. GU is the 1st game Sunday, so I'm hoping at least the UNI fans that are there for the second game get behind Gonzaga, as we would for them. I would expect Louisville fans to be apathetic at best.

If anyone has an account on the UNI forums, it couldn't hurt to ask for their support tomorrow!

spike_jr
03-21-2015, 08:19 AM
Was it Lorenzo Romar & Cameron Dollar?

Maybe LoRo, but I would assume Dollar is taking a vacation down in L-C Valley! :D

seacatfan
03-21-2015, 10:42 AM
Maybe LoRo, but I would assume Dollar is taking a vacation down in L-C Valley! :D

Dollar's vacation has not started yet, as Seattle U. beat Pepperdine in the first round of the CIT or CBI or whatever.

seacatfan
03-21-2015, 10:47 AM
I don't know what the explanation was, but the crowd was not very loud and vocal in their support for the Zags. That's just the way it was. I think Wyoming probably had the best rooting section of the entire first day. UC-Irvine was pretty decent. UNI, Louisville weren't very loud. Iowa had decent fan support. It did seem like the crowd started to get behind NDSU as the game went along. For UNI fans, does being a really good team from a mid major conference like Gonzaga trump being from the same state as Iowa? I know Iowa and Iowa St. hate each other and their fans would probably root against the other team given a chance, but not sure that animosity would filter down to UNI and vice versa. I guess we'll find out on Sunday.

surfmonkey89
03-21-2015, 10:55 AM
A lot of the people there were general basketball fans. They're not rooting for Gonzaga, they're rooting for excitement, i.e. upsets. We've been through this enough now that it shouldn't be all that surprising.

rennis
03-21-2015, 11:00 AM
A lot of the people there were general basketball fans. They're not rooting for Gonzaga, they're rooting for excitement, i.e. upsets. We've been through this enough now that it shouldn't be all that surprising.

this. I was impressed though with how concentrated and vocal the NDSU fans were in one or two sections. Sounds like Wyoming was the same.

I wish the GU fans could all get together in a group of sections and up the intensity, but it doesn't work that way.

TacomaZAG
03-21-2015, 11:15 AM
The crowd yesterday was exactly the same as any Battle in Seattle against a far lesser opponent. The game was never in doubt after the first 5 minutes. The team was "business as usual" and so was the crowd.

Not so tomorrow. The crowd will be exactly the same as any Battle in Seattle against a formidable opponent. Loud and Proud!!!!

The UNI fans will be rooting for their in state brethren, as they should. All the Fusky fans in attendance can choke on their tongues, don't need 'em and don't want 'em.......

Bring the noise ZAG fans, Key Arena is our sandbox.

Go ZAGS

Lakesbison
03-21-2015, 02:40 PM
this. I was impressed though with how concentrated and vocal the NDSU fans were in one or two sections. Sounds like Wyoming was the same.

I wish the GU fans could all get together in a group of sections and up the intensity, but it doesn't work that way.

NDSU fans were loud as usual, we are notorious for it.
I'm guessing vs IOWA it'll be 95% cheering for the zags. NDSU fans will cheer for you who have the tickets