• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Section 116
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Post game radio GU-NDSU

Zags outshot from floor 53.7% to 51.7% and from three 47.6% to 31.8%. Hudson: 6 lead changes in first half. Bulldogs lead at half by 13. It's a big stage they're on, kudos to Bison for knocking down the big shots.

Pangos: We hung tough even though they hit some tough ones, we just hung with it, even when kept hitting the big ones. Unorthodox guys starts hitting shots over our big guys. We just had to stick with it. There were a couple times I should have shot it instead of passing it. It was like what was I thinking. We're definitely happy with this win, wins at this time of year our tough to come by. Pangos had to leave to talk to national media.

Hudson: Zags now 33-2, a school record for wins. Werner had a career game for NDSU and Miller played incredible for Bison.

A 4:10 tip for Sunday's game in Seattle.

Sanangelo:

Noted when you try to shut down a teams top players, most teams at this time of the year expect someone else to step up and that's what happened for the Bison tonight. Bulldogs went on a 15-2 run after the Bison opened up with three threes. GU may have thought it was going to be easy just tossing the ball inside to our bigs but that's not the way it's going to be in the NCAA. NDSU is a team that gives up only 61 a game during the season and once the Zags got their offense rolling they easily surpassed that number.

One of the things the Bison did well in the second half was protect the ball. Werner was the 6th man of the year in the Summit and he showed why tonight. He was awesome. He was not afraid to take it right to Sabonis and Karnowski. But he did commit his 4th foul and Pangos converted that 4 point play and pushed the lead back to 10. He did just what you want you senior point guard to do. He knows the time and the situation and he hit some big shots to close out the game.

86 most points scored against Bison since early in Nov. when they gave up 87 to Iowa. Those early jump shots NDSU hit were kind of fools gold for them and got them to maybe playing a faster game than they wanted.

Sabonis led Zags with 11 rebounds in 24 mins. and showed he was up for the challenge in his first NCAA game. Zags outrebounded NDSU 35-25. NDSU's Werner and Miller gave a special effort to hang with the Zags and the fact they were able to lead the Bison to 54% shooting against one of the better defensive teams in the country is pretty impressive.

Post game news conference Hudson and Santangelo listening in:

Few: I told Richman (NDSU coach) I thought he had done an amazing job for a first year coach. They ran some great stuff and had some great concepts against us. He has a bright future ahead of him.

Pangos had 10 point in the late going and he said my teammates just found me and I knew we needed some points.

Few- Seattle was a great city for a Final Four and it's been unbelievable seeing the fans around town and recognizing our guys. It's a great place for basketball.

Few-We knew about Werner and we knew he loved to go right and we wanted him to take tough twos and to his credit he was making them. We concentrated on Alexander and though he he 19 he had to work for all of them, we thought Bell did a great job on Alexander.

Wiltjer:

We knew they were undersized and the bench isn't deep, we knew we could get some fouls and them and we did.

Few-We celebrate tonight, any time you get a win this time of year, you celebrate there is no message about trying to get over the hump, I don't know about that. Obviously we needed to play better defensively I thought Iowa was the best offensive team I saw this weekend. (This paragraph off the TV in an NCAA post game presser)

Back to radio now:

Zags did have 11 offensive rebounds and did a nice job of keeping possessions alive. Pangos 18 points, 5 assists, a steal and no TO's on 40 minutes including 4-7 in the second half.

Santangelo said the ability to turn defense into offense was really what allowed GU to control the game, even though the Bison closed to single digits several times.

Bell's first half was really impressive considering how he was chasng Alexander around. Bell was able to get to the rim and hit some jump shots despite the energy expended on Alexander.

Santangelo said that was just Gary being Gary. McClellan had a solid nine minutes despite not much in the box score. He guarded Alexander and gave him a different look for a while.

If I get anything more interesting i'll add it here.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 03-20-2015, 10:03 PM.
  • katman50
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Great recap as usual. Thanks!

Comment

• Zagceo
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2013

Thx 116

Comment

• zagbeliever
        Bleeds GU Blue
        • Jan 2013

Love your recaps. Thanks

Comment

• bballbeachbum
          Zag for Life
          • Dec 2008

thank you 116

Comment

• RenoZag
            Super Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Zags' Post Game Press Conference Video:

Gonzaga University (College/University), The NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship Game (Sports League Championship), march madness
            The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• sittingon50
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Thanks Reno.
              But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• Zag Man
                Kennel Club Material
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
                Zags' Post Game Press Conference Video: