PDA

View Full Version : Things are back to normal...

TexasZagFan
03-19-2015, 04:52 AM
...it's up to the Zags to regain a touch of respectability for the WCC.

Our brethren have failed miserably in the post season, IMO. Take the Zags out of the WCC, and it's not a top ten conference. Other than BYU, what school has a decent out of conference schedule?

TravelinZag
03-19-2015, 05:28 AM
Share your frustration. No place to go. Don't (won't, shouldn't resume football -- cost); Big East not ready to expand, doubtful about cost of travel to west coat teams; cost of travel for all of GU's other sports to travel to Big East Schools, etc.; difficulty finding "fit". If existing western conferences begin to fracture, perhaps a possibility of cobbling together a more competitive basketball conference. Other leagues will collapse, but when? Exit costs for teams severing current commitments? Improve WCC? Not with several schools who do not wish to invest in better facilities, expanded travel for tougher OOC scheduling, better recruiting, etc. For the time being, we're screwed, stuck in an underachieving conference with no place to go, and, with larger conferences, more difficult task of scheduling top OOC games. Our current staff is playing mediocre hands for the future extraordinarily well, but escaping to a better conference is beyond their reach. For now.

TexasZagFan
03-19-2015, 05:59 AM
WCC head office would fight us tooth and nail, we provide the lion's share of their revenue. And let's get real...reason why WCC games are on ESPN is because of the Zags.

With a nod to BYU of course.

DixieZag
03-19-2015, 06:07 AM
WCC head office would fight us tooth and nail, we provide the lion's share of their revenue. And let's get real...reason why WCC games are on ESPN is because of the Zags.

With a nod to BYU of course.

If we had any sort of reasonable alternative, they sure wouldn't act so aggressively and would be a complaint lap-dog so we wouldn't leave. They act toward us from a position of strength bc there is really nowhere for us to go.

hushpuppy
03-19-2015, 06:19 AM
Has this Bloomberg article been posted here? http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-march-madness-basketball-fund/. It's pretty interesting and the interactive chart that shows how much money schools' basketball has earned for their conferences vs. how much they have made is terrific. (Hint: as of publication, St. Mary's was the only school with Gonzaga on the +contribution side of the line.)

To be clear, I find this interesting, not a definitive argument for anything. As TravelinZag says, there's nowhere for us to go, and I'm not sure we should go, anyway. There's a lot that I like about the WCC (similar academic institutions, TV deal, fit for other sports, etc.). But San Francisco: come on.

Zagceo
03-19-2015, 06:29 AM
Why not go independent in basketball only ala BYU football

Play as many Pac12 teams SEC ACC even play international games,

rennis
03-19-2015, 06:45 AM
Why not go independent in basketball only ala BYU football

Play as many Pac12 teams SEC ACC even play international games,

It would be so hard to get other teams to play GU during their conference seasons...almost impossible.

bartruff1
03-19-2015, 06:47 AM
WCC is a perfect fit for all the teams at Gonzaga.....BYU will leave as soon as they can.....Seattle University is the missing link.....

basketballzag
03-19-2015, 06:50 AM
Has this Bloomberg article been posted here? http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-march-madness-basketball-fund/. It's pretty interesting and the interactive chart that shows how much money schools' basketball has earned for their conferences vs. how much they have made is terrific. (Hint: as of publication, St. Mary's was the only school with Gonzaga on the +contribution side of the line.)

To be clear, I find this interesting, not a definitive argument for anything. As TravelinZag says, there's nowhere for us to go, and I'm not sure we should go, anyway. There's a lot that I like about the WCC (similar academic institutions, TV deal, fit for other sports, etc.). But San Francisco: come on.

Gonzaga's total revenue from the Basketball Fund is $34.53 million. Gonzaga is getting hosed with the WCC. Only 12 other basketball programs in the US generate more money from the Basketball Fund through their conference allocation. Gonzaga has 36 Units of the WCC's 76 Units.

Big Ten: Michigan State ($57.08), Ohio State ($39.51) , Wisconsin ($39.51)
ACC: Duke ($64.49), North Carolina ($63.1)
Big 12: Kansas ($65.52), Texas ($40.93)
Big East: UConn ($43.63)
SEC: Kentucky ($57.67), Florida ($42.09)
PAC-10: Arizona ($49.16), UCLA ($47.44)

Only 12 schools have more Total Revenue see list above earned more money

TexasZagFan
03-19-2015, 07:23 AM
Gonzaga's total revenue from the Basketball Fund is $34.53 million. Gonzaga would be ABSOLUTELY INSANE to join another conference. Only 12 other basketball programs in the US generate more money from the Basketball Fund through their conference allocation. Gonzaga has 36 Units of the WCC's 76 Units. Schools in the power conferences might have more Units but they don't get as much total revenue as the Zags.

Big Ten: Michigan State ($57.08), Ohio State ($39.51) , Wisconsin ($39.51)
ACC: Duke ($64.49), North Carolina ($63.1)
Big 12: Kansas ($65.52), Texas ($40.93)
Big East: UConn ($43.63)
SEC: Kentucky ($57.67), Florida ($42.09)
PAC-10: Arizona ($49.16), UCLA ($47.44)

Only 12 schools have more Total Revenue see list above. To put this in perspective Louisville only gets $9.8 million, Memphis ($30.88), Washington ($19.89), USC ($15.37), Oregon ($14.92), Indiana ($30.4)

The discussion can't be confined to just the BB fund. The Power conferences now have their own TV deals, adding millions more to the coffers. Zags' total revenue of approximately $10 million makes the top 30 in one list I saw. Duke & Louisville are pushing $30 million.

hushpuppy
03-19-2015, 07:25 AM
Gonzaga's total revenue from the Basketball Fund is $34.53 million. Gonzaga would be ABSOLUTELY INSANE to join another conference. Only 12 other basketball programs in the US generate more money from the Basketball Fund through their conference allocation. Gonzaga has 36 Units of the WCC's 76 Units. Schools in the power conferences might have more Units but they don't get as much total revenue as the Zags. Now if the Zags join the Big East would they be able get more allocation--if yes then it would be absolutely insane for them to stay in the WCC.

I think you're mistaken about the money, basketballzag. As I read that chart, Gonzaga isn't getting $34.33 mill., they're contributing that to the WCC through their NCAA basketball fund earnings, and getting back a standard share: $6.82 mill (which is the same as every team in the conference, regardless of their tournament earnings).

SWZag
03-19-2015, 07:27 AM
I like us where we are. Of course, my humble opinion.