South Region Rankings - Warning: Breitbart Report!?!? But actually very interesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FuManShoes
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

South Region Rankings - Warning: Breitbart Report!?!? But actually very interesting

In ranking teams, Breitbart (?!?) adds BPI to other factors like health, momentum, experience, # of NBA prospects, etc.
    Gonzaga has their best shot to make the Final Four, and they are virtually even with Duke as the top two teams in the region. |

They give Sabonis a 71% chance of making the NBA. Nothing for Karno and single-digit odds for Pangos and Wiltjer. And yet throw in other factors and they give the Zags the edge over Duke.

“We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few
  • willandi
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2007

Isn't Connor Griffin a lock for the NBA? (tongue in cheek)
    Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• DZ
      Zag for Life
      • Sep 2007

Experienced guards seem to count for an awful lot in that analysis
      Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
      Mark Twain.

Comment

• WBM
        Professional Zag Fan
        • Oct 2013

Are they counting Perkins against us in the health column? Seems a bit odd, considering we've been without him since November, and have gone 27-2 without him.

Comment

• rawkmandale
          Banned
          • Feb 2007

I generally like this, and agree with many of the scores (I think Utah is undervalued by many, but not here, and SMU is scary). Interesting non-mention of Karno though, as I heard an analyst yesterday quoting Jim Calhoun, saying that MANY NBA scouts are interested in Karno.

Comment

• DZ
            Zag for Life
            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by rawkmandale View Post
            I generally like this, and agree with many of the scores (I think Utah is undervalued by many, but not here, and SMU is scary). Interesting non-mention of Karno though, as I heard an analyst yesterday quoting Jim Calhoun, saying that MANY NBA scouts are interested in Karno.
            That surprised me, too.

I have heard Jay Bilas say, many times, that nearly always, a team really can't get to the FF "without NBA Players." And, in some ways, we can comfortably count 2, maybe even 3 (if Wiltjer) and then I'm not even positive I'd shut out either Gary or Kevin, either. - Though 2 seems at least conservative.
            Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
            Mark Twain.

Comment

• FuManShoes
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
              That surprised me, too.

I have heard Jay Bilas say, many times, that nearly always, a team really can't get to the FF "without NBA Players." And, in some ways, we can comfortably count 2, maybe even 3 (if Wiltjer) and then I'm not even positive I'd shut out either Gary or Kevin, either. - Though 2 seems at least conservative.
              There are fringe NBA players and there are NBA lottery picks and starters. Ammo and Kelly were the last lottery picks we had and led arguably the best teams we've had and even they couldn't do it all, and each found themselves staring down a disappointing finish. I do think the overall depth of this team combined with disruptive size and pretty good D could be a difference, and make up for lack of a superstar, but the margin is slim. Pangos can wear down and get shut down, Wiltjer can be taken advantage of at the defensive end, negating his O; Sabonis can get into foul trouble - fast, Karno can struggle to finish, Bell's shot can elude him. Too many of those things happen and it doesn't matter what pedigree or draft status our guys have - we lose. Of course that will never happen.
              “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Comment

Working...
              X