PDA

View Full Version : NDSU : The next Gonzaga

Lakesbison
03-16-2015, 07:59 AM
Gonzaga is NOT a Mid Major... but they once were back in early 2000's & NDSU wants to emulate what they did.

NDSU has made the tourney 3 of 7 years now,
NDSU is building a $46 Million basketball arena to seat 6000.

Any advice for NDSU basketball program in order to follow in your footsteps???

Ive always said, NDSU wants to be Boise State in Football & Gonzaga in Basketball.
We are pretty dominant at football, basketball is next.

RenoZag
03-16-2015, 08:02 AM
Hang on to your coach. Much like Mark Few, he has paid his dues within the program and earned his way to the top spot

This is Richman's first head coaching position. He spent seven years as the associate head men's basketball coach at North Dakota State and 11 years total with NDSU.

Richman, 35, was a Bison assistant coach for two seasons before being elevated to associate head coach under Saul Phillips for the 2007-08 season. He also spent two seasons as a graduate assistant at NDSU and was an assistant coach at North Dakota State College of Science for one year.

The NDSU men's basketball program has experienced its highest levels of success during Richman's time as a member of the coaching staff. The Bison are coming off their best two-year span in school history, winning 50 games from 2012-14. NDSU swept the Summit League regular season and tournament titles twice in six years, winning a school-record 26 games in both 2008-09 and 2013-14.

Richman has been a member of the NDSU coaching staff for four 20-win seasons, as well as producing 12 all-league players and seven of the top 16 scorers in NDSU history. In all, the Bison are 170-104 (.620 win percentage) in his nine years as a full-time member of the staff.

Those kinds of guys don't grow on trees and you're fortunate to have him as GU is fortunate to have Coach Few

gu03alum
03-16-2015, 08:03 AM
Money, give lots and lots of money to the program

gonzagafan62
03-16-2015, 08:05 AM
Keep your coach, win games, and wins lots of games in the tournament. The trickle down effect will happen to all of your programs. I can tell that your success in football has worked its way to its basketball program too. Keep winning. (Just not this week, please!)

tjbison
03-16-2015, 08:12 AM
Keep your coach, win games, and wins lots of games in the tournament. The trickle down effect will happen to all of your programs. I can tell that your success in football has worked its way to its basketball program too. Keep winning. (Just not this week, please!)

our biggest hump to climb over IMO is our Football only fans, im guessing the focus is mostly for them to get the FB program out of the FCS and into the FBS.

Our Wrestling team is and has been Nationally ranked and currently set to join the B12
Softball has been really good making it into the super regionals and beating Oklahoma a few years back
Basketball on the womens side has been terrible and considering in our DII days they won 4 straight National Championships in the 90's (93,94,95,96) 5 (1991) total and made the title game 6 (1992) times all in a decade, but hopefully the new coach there also turns them around.

NDSU is a School held back by the state it sits in for funding. If ND didnt have 11 state institutions NDSU would have been in a higher level years ago, they have always funded and supported athletics and its proving it. A higher profile league for all sports would be a huge help but im happy with where we are for now,

MTZag03
03-16-2015, 08:12 AM
I think geography is in your favor since NDSU is probably the only team in the area that anyone watches. Gonzaga has some minor league pro teams, and no major college teams in the market. It created kind of a captive audience for the team. Seems like you guys have that going on a bit. Also, as others had mentioned...keep your coach and spend money.

Lakesbison
03-16-2015, 08:14 AM
Hang on to your coach. Much like Mark Few, he has paid his dues within the program and earned his way to the top spot

Those kinds of guys don't grow on trees and you're fortunate to have him as GU is fortunate to have Coach Few

Yea

Tim Miles NDSU to Nebraska
Saul Phillips NDSU to Ohio U
Dave Richman NDSU to (whoever offers 4 times salary like the previous 2 hahaha)

and like TJ says, the state is a joke by not funding thier major university at a higher level than 10 podunk small town colleges

RenoZag
03-16-2015, 08:21 AM
NDSU is a School held back by the state it sits in for funding. If ND didnt have 11 state institutions NDSU would have been in a higher level years ago, they have always funded and supported athletics and its proving it. A higher profile league for all sports would be a huge help but im happy with where we are for now,

You can always hope the Shale Boom trickles down to the education funding stream. . .

tjbison
03-16-2015, 08:25 AM
You can always hope the Shale Boom trickles down to the education funding stream. . .

never happen, too many anti higher education legislators

instead of raising the profile of 1 or 2 of the States universities they would rather spend millions on multiple schools with many crossover programs. Its really a dumb system, IMO

RenoZag
03-16-2015, 08:28 AM
When you can land a major donor ($5MM) like the Scheels family contribution, that says a lot about the commitment and passion of the university's fan base.

Lakesbison
03-16-2015, 08:34 AM
Sanford donated $10 million to the SHAC
http://www.ndsu.edu/facilities/constructionrenovationandproject/sanfordhealthathleticcomplex/

Zag4Hire
03-16-2015, 08:35 AM
Turn NDSU into a Catholic institution would be a good start. Difficult to question to answer and seemingly 1/2 of the Big East Conference would like to know the answer to that as well.

Probably 5 main factors: financial support; high quality AD and staff; a coach who will stay on for long haul; quality recruiting staff; and sign-up for every big hitter's OOC schedule and get in wherever you can for major preseason tourneys. The last one is key for exposure by media, recruits, etc.

DixieZag
03-16-2015, 08:38 AM
our biggest hump to climb over IMO is our Football only fans, im guessing the focus is mostly for them to get the FB program out of the FCS and into the FBS.,

Keep upsetting teams in the tournament like last year - take a year off this year - go to the sweet sixteen next year, and they will come.

Take all the profits and reinvest.
Put your games on TV throughout the state - even if it costs a little money.
Find a recruiting niche, get in good with the national team coach in, say, Australia, preferably.

And get a bunch of Zags. That will be the hardest part, 'cause they only make those guys in one spot....and they're damn expensive.

tjbison
03-16-2015, 08:38 AM
When you can land a major donor ($5MM) like the Scheels family contribution, that says a lot about the commitment and passion of the university's fan base.

true, but every building project expansion etc is reliant solely on Donations, that can't sustain forever.

Scheels has been a great partner for NDSU, they are Based in Fargo and are growing and getting bigger and bigger all over.

Sanford Health has been a good donor also but they are a regional medical center based in Fargo and Sioux Falls, SD so they give to NDSU, South Dakota State and the University of SD along with many other things so again can only get so much.

but yes our teamakers club which is a group of working stiffs that donate etc gave over 3Million last year.

Robzagnut
03-16-2015, 09:36 AM

A great article from Fox Sports that sums it up:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/gonzaga-bulldogs-mark-few-took-unique-path-to-sustained-success-031015

sittingon50
03-16-2015, 09:39 AM
Recruit Australians. Saint Mary's is currently getting them.

Stay away from the Canooks, eh! Their ours.

Zagceo
03-16-2015, 09:48 AM
Hire a Canadian coach passionate about ice fishing that can recruit North of the Border and pay 'em well.

Our coach is avid Fly fisherman and has a hard time thinking about working in LA or Tucson.

From one North Dakotan to another Good Luck building the program.

seacatfan
03-16-2015, 09:53 AM
Don't mean to be a jerk, but how many "next Gonzaga's" have fallen by the wayside? Quite a few. Butler has had staying power, although with some ups and downs. Other than that...can't think of anything. GU played Akron in the Tourney in '09, they were touting themselves as the Gonzaga of the MAC. Don't think they've been heard from since. Nevada upset GU in the Tourney one year and had a nice run for about 4 years. They've since fallen off the map and are TERRIBLE now in the Mountain West. Probably the biggest single factor in the Zags' success is that Few has stayed for 17 years. It's a fairly unique situation, not likely to be repeated. Most mid major coaches make the jump when the opportunity for more $ and more prestige come along. Shaka Smart has shown a commitment to VCU thus far, but his tenure is less than half of Few's. Bob McKillop is a very good coach at Davidson, not sure if he's turned down opportunities to move on to bigger schools. His age has to be working against him now. Davidson has had some very good teams but they aren't even close to being an annual entrant in the Big Dance. The next Gonzaga...I'll believe it when I see it.

Lakesbison
03-16-2015, 10:14 AM
NDSU has 3 of 7 dances in its first 7 years of D1. Next year should be a Shoe in for NDSU.....then they open new arena in 2016-2017 with a ton of momentum.

If we can get 5 dances in 9 years we should well.on our way.....plus getting into the Mountain West or MVC would help!

cjm720
03-16-2015, 10:21 AM

The program must have buy-in from the President and Athletic Director and they must work together. The coach needs to stay long term for stability; but most coaches jump for the pay day. Tough to duplicate a program such as ours given the almighty green dollar that most coaches will chase.

Thanks for chiming in, btw. Really look forward to learning more about NDSU and of course the battle on Friday!

GoZags
03-16-2015, 10:41 AM
Get good players ... and don't worry about where your staff finds them.

When Gonzaga was in NDSU's shoes early on ... they were able to beat a lot of teams that had McDonald All-Americans. The heart of soul of many of those early GU teams consisted of guys from towns so small they didn't even HAVE a McDonalds.

Robzagnut
03-16-2015, 12:15 PM
Don't mean to be a jerk, but how many "next Gonzaga's" have fallen by the wayside? Quite a few. Butler has had staying power, although with some ups and downs. Other than that...can't think of anything. GU played Akron in the Tourney in '09, they were touting themselves as the Gonzaga of the MAC. Don't think they've been heard from since. Nevada upset GU in the Tourney one year and had a nice run for about 4 years. They've since fallen off the map and are TERRIBLE now in the Mountain West. Probably the biggest single factor in the Zags' success is that Few has stayed for 17 years. It's a fairly unique situation, not likely to be repeated. Most mid major coaches make the jump when the opportunity for more $ and more prestige come along. Shaka Smart has shown a commitment to VCU thus far, but his tenure is less than half of Few's. Bob McKillop is a very good coach at Davidson, not sure if he's turned down opportunities to move on to bigger schools. His age has to be working against him now. Davidson has had some very good teams but they aren't even close to being an annual entrant in the Big Dance. The next Gonzaga...I'll believe it when I see it.

Nothing wrong with fans getting excited and hoping their teams will see continuous success. Nothing is more fun than seeing your team's name appear on the CBS Selection Show and getting a full week of attention. You get to read all the articles, watch all the talking heads talk about your team and you're on Cloud 9 for a week. Who wouldn't want that again and again?

Butler and Creighton parlayed their success into a Big East invite. I doubt they would be in that league if they were at the bottoms of their conferences during the great shift of 2012-2014.

Lakesbison
03-16-2015, 12:28 PM
The program must have buy-in from the President and Athletic Director and they must work together. The coach needs to stay long term for stability; but most coaches jump for the pay day. Tough to duplicate a program such as ours given the almighty green dollar that most coaches will chase.

Thanks for chiming in, btw. Really look forward to learning more about NDSU and of course the battle on Friday!

Yes NDSU is 100% commited to Athletics. when NDSU went D1 in 2006 the motto was "Athletics is the Porch to the University" We've had amazing success for a transitional D1 team.

NDSU beat ranked Wisconsin, Marquette , Oklahoma and Notre Dame... hoping to add Gonzaga, but not counting on it!

Hoopaholic
03-16-2015, 12:31 PM
I am all about making more "Gonzaga's".......We need to spank the Big 5 programs consistently and the more mid majors doing that on a consistent basis the better respect we will gain

MJ777
03-16-2015, 12:57 PM
Change the schools name to an interesting sounding name that gets people's attention. Play anyone anywhere anytime. Go 7 and 3 in the dance in a 3 year period and you are on your way. Thanks Casey, Richie, Matt, Dan and others. Oh yeah and always have some guy on the team with crazy hair and have talented walks ons that help the program.

Go Zags!

kitzbuel
03-16-2015, 01:30 PM
A great article from Fox Sports that sums it up:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/gonzaga-bulldogs-mark-few-took-unique-path-to-sustained-success-031015

GU03Alum is right.

As Mike Roth is quoted here: “Oh my God, it was a ton of money,” Roth said...

SunDevilGolfZag
03-16-2015, 06:14 PM
No offense but I've lived in both cities. Fargo would need some mountains or something else besides the gals at Chub's Pub that qualifies as beautiful scenery. Plus losing the Siberian weather. No other way to get to the dance 17 years in a row. Lol. Love that Bison program for sure.

Zagceo
03-16-2015, 06:24 PM
No offense but I've lived in both cities. Fargo would need some mountains or something else besides the gals at Chub's Pub that qualifies as beautiful scenery. Plus losing the Siberian weather. No other way to get to the dance 17 years in a row. Lol. Love that Bison program for sure.

Wow I've been giving way to much credit to Few and Staff building the program around the great people of Spokane.

Hows that working out for all those Ca teams with beaches mountains and weather?

Lakesbison
03-16-2015, 07:38 PM
Fargo has 7th best downtown in USA according to liveability.com

I live 45 minutes away with 1000 lakes and gorgeous beaches from May to September and beautiful fall scenery.

I was in spokecompton last year for NDSU win, so I'll take Fargo partying all day oh and Fargo is the drunkest city in America we know how to party hahaha

Last years final mid major poll had
1-Wichita
2- Gonzaga
3- NDSU

so that's good right ??

GrizZAG
03-16-2015, 07:51 PM
Get to an elite 8 and the ball starts to roll. The nation will take note! The city will take immense pride and the support will come especially if you can keep it noisy in the local news. Oh yes, it helps too if you have a top 50 all time NBA Hall of Fame player that is a household name nationally and also has the name of his school attached to every single conversation about him.
Much more involved like a committed coach, classy program and $$ from somewhere as others have mentioned.

WallaWallaZag
03-16-2015, 11:40 PM
Get to an elite 8 and the ball starts to roll. The nation will take note! The city will take immense pride and the support will come especially if you can keep it noisy in the local news. Oh yes, it helps too if you have a top 50 all time NBA Hall of Fame player that is a household name nationally and also has the name of his school attached to every single conversation about him. Much more involved like a committed coach, classy program and $$ from somewhere as others have mentioned.

at some point after you get the winning part down, the branding become important...having stockton attached is just one thing to point to, just like the blue turf at boise. part of the eventual problem for ndsu is the name itself...north dakota state university is just a mouthful and hard for a midmajor to rise using initials like ucla can get away with...see gonzaga, butler, xavier...vcu might be the outlier, but they've got a charismatic coach with a name like shaka smart.

jim77
03-17-2015, 12:00 AM
If any school or state could produce another GU.....its NDSU. Their football program is already pretty dominant...the Bison know how to win. If you think GU travels well...you should see BISON NATION. Go watch the 2013 football game against the Kansas ST. on Youtube. They beat up on the bigs too. The Bison are currently on a 4-Peat in the FCS...Yes, 4 CONSECUTIVE National Titles. How dominant are they? This years's seniors have won more National titles 4....then games the've lost 3.

zagamatic
03-17-2015, 01:12 AM
Many smaller schools with limited funding are turning to "creative ways" of funding their coaches salaries such as part of the guarantee money from playing the big boys, etc.. I believe Long Beach State is a prime example, just be extra careful to follow the rules.
Also, assuming that you take those kinds of guarantee games, simply try and make sure that they're televised to as many people as you can, nationally if possible. And try to make sure that you play as many televised games in your preferred recruiting areas as possible. In other words, don't go playing Duke in a regionally broadcast game if you're recruiting in the Texas area, play Texas. Even if it doesn't pay as much.
Also, if you can somehow set up an annual event along the lines of our Battle in Seattle, that would possibly help although your location could prove difficult. Perhaps you could work in the oilfield angle and play other teams stretching south to Texas?
About the best I can come up with at 2am lol. I wish you luck in building your program, just not necessarily this year you understand.

Lakesbison
03-17-2015, 03:44 PM
at some point after you get the winning part down, the branding become important...having stockton attached is just one thing to point to, just like the blue turf at boise. part of the eventual problem for ndsu is the name itself...north dakota state university is just a mouthful and hard for a midmajor to rise using initials like ucla can get away with...see gonzaga, butler, xavier...vcu might be the outlier, but they've got a charismatic coach with a name like shaka smart.

everyone calls it NDSU so that's taken care of. Yes our football team takes 20,000 fans to texas every year, and 30,000+ to beat big 10 Minnesota a few years back.

Lakesbison
03-20-2015, 09:08 PM
Well. I'm sure tomorrow we all will feel pretty dam good about ourselves.

With talent coming back NDSU should dance again and then open $46 Million arena in following year... we hope to be the next gonzaga. Peace out. I need to pass out

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-20-2015, 09:10 PM
Well. I'm sure tomorrow we all will feel pretty dam good about ourselves.

With talent coming back NDSU should dance again and then open $46 Million arena in following year... we hope to be the next gonzaga. Peace out. I need to pass out

Lakesbison-

Feel free to come on back for the Iowa game. We could use a good luck charm for that game.

Lakesbison
03-21-2015, 03:06 PM
Yea I'll be here. I hate Iowa. Stinky pig lots

TexasZagFan
03-21-2015, 03:27 PM
everyone calls it NDSU so that's taken care of. Yes our football team takes 20,000 fans to texas every year, and 30,000+ to beat big 10 Minnesota a few years back.

Do your FB coaches recruit in Texas? I was a bit surprised to see not one from Texas on your roster. There's plenty of under the radar talent, simply due to the size of high schools in Texas. For example, our local HS has about 3000 students, and fields two freshman teams and two JV teams in addition to the varsity team. Your coaches would be well advised to start relationships with the coaches at the top schools here. Schools like Coppell, Southlake, and Allen have youth football programs under their direction. By the time my son enters HS, he will have played 7 years under the Coppell system. He just loves the game, and enjoyed his best year yet...on the C team. lol It started when he was moved from the B team after the first game. He was upset about it...until the next game, when he went both ways, as tight end and inside linebacker. He loved getting the playing time, and being the "quarterback" on defense, i.e. the defensive plays were run through him.

It's not a joke that football is a religion down here, mostly in a good way. The reason we have multiple teams is so more kids can play. And football drives the train for the other extra curricular activities, such as marching bands with 350+ members, 70+ ladies on the drill team, etc. My daughter was on the drill team for two years. The big fundraiser, a spaghetti dinner, takes place before the first home game. 4000 people attended, and $50,000 is raised every year. As a band parent, I attended every home game, yet saw not one play as I was helping with concessions. It takes a lot of money to support a 350+ strong band, particularly when major trips are undertaken every other year, be it DC, Dublin, or London.

All the coaching, the innumerable camps, 7 on 7 during the summer...it leads to players that are highly developed by the time they graduate from high school.

Just a suggestion, of course.

Basketball's popular here also. A former player, Jett Raines, now is a starter at Pepperdine.

gonzagafan62
03-21-2015, 03:28 PM
Yea I'll be here. I hate Iowa. Stinky pig lots

Good luck next year lake. I've earned madd respect for you guys.

Lakesbison
03-21-2015, 05:11 PM
Texas zag. Our star RB & WR on 1st title team were from Houston and Channelview? So yea we try to recruit Texas

Thanks zag62!

TexasZagFan
03-21-2015, 05:13 PM
Texas zag. Our star RB & WR on 1st title team were from Houston and Channelview? So yea we try to recruit Texas

Thanks zag62!

Cool, I was looking at last year's roster.

jim77
03-21-2015, 08:08 PM
Best of luck next year LB. The Bison are very young and you guys should defend the crown next year. I got a kick out of Dexter Werner....his performance was something he should be pretty pumped about. He puts in the work he could be a force....the white Charles Barkley :). Gosh, those shots were ridiculous....loved his courage going after our bigs.

Lakesbison
03-22-2015, 06:25 AM
Yea. Only losing 1 player. Adding 2 good recruits plus $46 Million Dollar new arena will help in the near future! ! We are watching you guys